Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trey In Mournhold, Chapter 3
treydog
post Dec 2 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

First, I apologize for the over-long delay in getting back to this story. Job change, severe writer's block, and my usual autumn depression combined to stop my writing cold. Anyway, for those who are still interested, here is the next installment.

T.

Chapter 3

The long struggle against the goblins had left me physically and emotionally spent. So great was my weariness that I would not even think of the purpose that had originally brought me to Mournhold. The Dark Brotherhood were agents of death, mercenaries who killed without honor or remorse, concerned only that they receive their blood money. And, just at the moment, that description hit too close to home for my comfort. Like the goblins, the assassins likely made their lair in the ruins of Old Mournhold, and I could not bear the thought of returning to those spirit-thronged tunnels. Although I was a thief, by definition a creature of darkness, the dark of a moonless night was far different from the unrelieved blackness beneath the city. At least when I crouched upon a rooftop, the air was wholesome- filled with the scents of cooking fires and stable yards- the odors of life in all its glory and simplicity. Under the city, every breath was labored, the air tainted with a miasma of deaths old and new, and thick with the plotting of deaths still to come. What I needed desperately was the light of day and the rumble of humanity going about the business of living. I wanted to wander through the Great Bazaar, acting as if I had nothing in mind beyond seeking a bargain on some exotic piece of art or craft from a far place, a place that had never heard of goblins or assassins.

Before making my way to the marketplace, I washed away the worst stains of my labors at the fountain in the Brindisi Dorom. As I did so, I was not certain that the High Ordinators would not object to my ablutions. In truth, I rather hoped they would make an issue of it- I held no very great love for Almalexia’s version of the Temple at that moment. Other than a few penetrating glances, my impromptu bath drew no reaction though, and I was soon refreshed and on my way. Although the idea of a real bath with hot water and soap tempted me to take a room at the Winged Guar, I was not ready to confine myself indoors just yet. Satisfied that my appearance would no longer cause some concerned citizen to call the guards or the healers, I proceeded to the Great Bazaar, where I frankly acted like a country lout loose in the big city for the first time. There was talk of a play to be performed, and I waited for a few minutes in hopes of seeing such a novelty, but there seemed to be some delay, so I moved on. As I climbed the steps, staring at the shops and plants and people, I became so distracted that I failed to notice a young Dunmer woman until I placed my foot directly in the midst her lunch, which she had set out upon one of the steps. She accepted my profuse apologies with more weariness than grace, and began to gather up the remains of her ruined meal. When I offered to at least pay her the price of a decent dinner at the inn, she merely sighed and said,

“That would be nice, but I really have no time to talk. There’s much work to do… No time for silly fancies like dancing or dinner. Oh, but what I wouldn’t give to meet someone new.”

The way she said it made clear that she was really just thinking out loud rather than trying to interest the bumbling Breton who had just clumsily trodden on her lunch. Still, it seemed that I should at least offer her a sympathetic ear if that was what she needed. She was still fairly young, older than I- perhaps in her 30s- although it is always hard to judge such things among the Elven races. Her eyes were interesting- sad, thoughtful, with a spark of intelligence lurking in their depths. Recalling my own recent travails with employment, I agreed that work could be wearing. She nodded and said,

“Yes, that's right. Believe it or not, I had no intention of working here when I came to Mournhold. It's quite a sob story; are you sure you want to hear it?”

When I signaled my assent, she continued,

“Well, it's mostly my fault, really. My name is Marena Gilnith, and I grew up in a small village in the south of Morrowind. They cared for me a great deal, and only wanted the best for me. But when they arranged my marriage to a wealthy nobleman, I couldn't take it. He was disgusting, and I wanted nothing to do with him. So I ran away, and ended up here in Mournhold. I was convinced that I'd be able to find the man of my dreams. Only, it hasn't worked out that way.”

She gave a self-deprecating shrug and continued,

“I was foolish about it, to be sure. I never considered that I'd need money to survive on my own. I was determined, though, not to go crawling back to the village and beg forgiveness from my parents and that loathsome man. I'd make it on my own, and only then would I contact my parents and let them know where I was. So I started working... and now it's all I do. I never have time to meet anyone. Let me know if you meet any nice, single men.”

It was the sort of request you hear fairly often- usually spoken in jest. But somehow I knew that she spoke from sincere hope, and a part of me responded with equal sincerity. It was as if our lives had followed similar paths, paths that could lead to loneliness and bitterness- if no kind stranger intervened. And so I said,

“Give me a little time, and I will try. Whatever chances, I will meet you here at this same hour in two days’ time.”

Perhaps it would have been wiser to refuse her request or to pretend that it was simply a joke, but it was hard to ignore the unspoken appeal in her eyes. Maybe I felt the need to do something that celebrated life instead of death. Or maybe I responded to the fact that she had confided in me, a stranger. In any event, though I had no idea of how to accomplish the task, I agreed. In truth, I wasn’t certain that I knew what a “good man” was; I definitely knew nothing about finding one. But as I considered more deeply, I realized that much of what I knew about choosing horses could apply to men. You wanted a good temperament, determination that did not shade into stubbornness, intelligence, loyalty… maybe I could manage this after all. Of course, that assumed that I could find any men who sought marriage- I did not really think Marena was interested in the other sort. That made things a bit more difficult- somehow, I doubted that even fabled Mournhold had a shop or market for marriageable men.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
treydog   Trey In Mournhold, Chapter 3   Dec 2 2005, 03:24 PM
minque   What a great joy to see Trey back! I´m so happ...   Dec 2 2005, 05:07 PM
Wolfie   YAY! Trey is back! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...   Dec 2 2005, 06:27 PM
Alexander   Woohoo, glad to see it come back Treydog. can...   Dec 2 2005, 09:01 PM
Soulseeker3.0   Woot, welcome back and another great instalment to...   Dec 2 2005, 10:37 PM
Jonajosa   Apology accepted... for now. ;) I recently have ...   Dec 3 2005, 01:52 AM
mplantinga   Thanks for once again finding time to continue you...   Dec 3 2005, 01:53 AM
treydog   Determined to make an honest effort searching for ...   Dec 5 2005, 01:56 AM
Soulseeker3.0   Very good Trey. Very nice uh geeze, I can't th...   Dec 5 2005, 04:12 AM
mplantinga   I've always found this particular side-quest t...   Dec 5 2005, 07:45 PM
Florodine of Hlaalu   yay hes back, as always a great installmen trey   Dec 5 2005, 09:23 PM
Haw   *Waves flag* Yay! I missed this. Dang school...   Dec 14 2005, 07:37 PM
treydog   I may not have slept the sleep of the just, but I ...   Dec 17 2005, 04:08 AM
Florodine of Hlaalu   yay another update is always exciting. Good job tr...   Dec 17 2005, 04:48 AM
Jonajosa   You know... I can't help but feel you might ha...   Dec 17 2005, 09:25 AM
mplantinga   Trey certainly is finding ways to make a differenc...   Dec 17 2005, 08:09 PM
minque   Oh my precious Trey......hmm I have the feeling he...   Dec 17 2005, 09:30 PM
Soulseeker3.0   well that was a great addition to the story trey. ...   Dec 18 2005, 12:10 AM
treydog   Breaking my "rule" of not commenting on ...   Dec 19 2005, 09:14 PM
treydog   As so many have discovered before me, while there ...   Dec 20 2005, 02:35 PM
Florodine of Hlaalu   Wow great addition. A little darker mood then the ...   Dec 24 2005, 02:42 PM
Jonajosa   As I have said before... It seems diffrent. Perh...   Dec 25 2005, 11:07 PM
Soulseeker3.0   wow, very good. I agree with Florodine, darker but...   Dec 24 2005, 04:50 PM
minque   Oh but it´s natural to be in a darker mood when yo...   Dec 27 2005, 07:33 PM
mplantinga   Thanks again for another excellent installment. I ...   Jan 2 2006, 07:55 PM
treydog   I could feel that the time was fast approaching wh...   Jan 22 2006, 07:47 PM
minque   A weird sword that was!!! IfI was Trey...   Jan 22 2006, 08:22 PM
Wolfie   Sweet, more Trey :) I never have managed to get th...   Jan 24 2006, 12:27 AM
mplantinga   I enjoyed your description of this most unusual bl...   Jan 24 2006, 07:09 PM
Soulseeker3.0   great update Trey please add more   Jan 26 2006, 12:53 AM
Kiln   I was looking at this and I noticed that I hadn...   Feb 13 2006, 09:36 PM
Taillus   The stories of Trey. I must say that after reading...   Feb 16 2006, 04:30 PM
minque   Ahh so you got it too? Exactly this story made m...   Feb 16 2006, 08:37 PM
Holosiren   I have read every chapter of your series, Treydog,...   Feb 16 2006, 09:30 PM
Elidor   What holosiren said ;)   Feb 17 2006, 10:32 AM
treydog   Firmly putting aside speculations upon the peculia...   Feb 19 2006, 06:43 PM
Wolfie   Great update Treydog! Nice to no this story ha...   Feb 19 2006, 07:48 PM
minque   Heureka! Trey is back, still hunting those Dar...   Feb 19 2006, 07:51 PM
Soulseeker3.0   Yes, another update, I like the closing remark bec...   Feb 19 2006, 11:29 PM
treydog   As the tense minutes of waiting stretched out and ...   Feb 25 2006, 10:16 PM
Kiln   Well Trey, I often ask myself as I'm reading y...   Feb 26 2006, 12:25 AM
mplantinga   I think Kiln said everything that needs to be said...   Mar 2 2006, 12:26 AM
Soulseeker3.0   Wow great update and I too agree that Kiln summed ...   Mar 2 2006, 03:16 AM
McBadgere   Something I've been completely neglecting to m...   Sep 3 2013, 06:25 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 11:24 AM