User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 10 2022, 08:57 PM
Post #162

Ancient
Group Icon

Lopov: I only just started the game. I did not reach the Friendly Arm Inn when I stopped yesterday. I recruited Khalid and Jaheria there. But have not done anything with them yet. I used EE Keeper to change around some of Jaheria's stats and weapons. So hopefully I will like her more this way than my past games.

Acadian: I was not sure how to create Blood Raven. A paladin was my second choice, since that is also a fighter with magical abilities. Or a Fighter/Cleric. But I have never done the Fighter/Mage before, so I thought it might be a nice learning experience. So far all I am using her magic for is an armor spell to make up for her not being able to wear armor. That and an Identify spell.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 10 2022, 09:53 PM
Post #163

Master
Group Icon

I've almost always edited stats in GateKeeper / Shadowkeeper, both for my PCs and NPCs. Have you ever played through the entire saga, Throne of Bhaal included? You probably have, just askin'.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 11 2022, 02:08 AM
Post #164

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been all the way through BG1 only once I think. I also did the Black Pits all the way through once. Though I have started several other games, just never got all the way done with it. Likewise, I have started BG2 a couple of times, but never finished it. I never even started Throne of Bhaal.

I use EE Keeper a lot. It is the same basic thing as Shadowkeeper, just for the Enhanced Editions. I use it to tweak the companions stats and proficiencies. Like changing Minsc from a Ranger to a Fighter, he works much better that way.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 11 2022, 09:19 AM
Post #165

Master
Group Icon

Black Pits is something that I've never done. I did the other two expansions, namely the Durlag's Tower and the one that takes place on some island, but I don't remember the name. It adds a village far to the north and you can sail from there.

I actually started with BG II, my brother bought me this game as a birthday present when I was still fairly young. He dislikes/d any games played from an isometric perspective but knew that I love/d them, so he bought it to me. I spent many years playing BG II only, then I moved on to BG I and lastly also to ToB. I think I've made it only two or three times from BG I over BG II and finally to ToB. BG II is still my favorite of all, also because of nostalgia. But if one prefers exploration over story, BG I is a better choice.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 11 2022, 01:18 PM
Post #166

Councilor
Group Icon

I have Baldur's Gate on my gaming computer, but have not gotten really far into it. sad.gif I think if I had a computer back in the '90s, and slso know about BG back then, I probably would have played it, because I had more free time in those days. But I was also prettier back then, had more of a social life than I do now! Still, I think I would have at least tried BG.

Nowadays there are too many other games competing for my gaming time. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 11 2022, 02:42 PM
Post #167

Paladin
Group Icon

Many years ago I played once through BG I, Tales of the Sword Coast and Icewind Dale. Then I found BG II and spent several years there. I did ToB once but really enjoyed just playing BG II. Eventually, computers advanced beyond BG II, it became buggy and I quit. Within the last year I spent about $4 on Gog and got BG II EE. It installed and plays flawlessly and is wonderful to have as an internet-free game.

I have the command console figured out so can use any codes I need to but I got confused reading about what I guess is EE keeper. I used to have something like that years ago and it was great. If I get back more seriously into it, I'll have to ask SubRosa more about installing EE Keeper for BG II so I can adjust classes a bit and change some of the companion classes.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 11 2022, 08:06 PM
Post #168

Ancient
Group Icon

I have a link to EE Keeper on the first page. It wasn't working when I just checked, so I updated it to point here now. I don't remember installing it. I think it was just you unzip all the files to a folder and run the shortcut to it. It is a pretty simple save editor, that allows you to change your stats, add or remove inventory items, and so forth.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 11 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #169

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh, thanks! As is so often the case, your threads on the games you play double as great resources. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 11 2022, 10:01 PM
Post #170

Ancient
Group Icon

Blood Raven just recruited Minsc. It is fun to hear his voice again. It reminded me that he is voiced by Jim Cummings, who also voiced Hondo in the Star Wars animated TV shows.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 11 2022, 10:50 PM
Post #171

Paladin
Group Icon

Minsc is a keeper all right! As you said, I imagine he works well as a Fighter in BG I. In BG II, you might consider trying him as either a Berserker or a Level 9 Ranger dual classed to Cleric.

I did get EEKeeper installed and it looks comfortably familiar to the 'trainer' I used for BG II years ago. Haven't done anything with it but it looks promising. Thanks for your help/encouragement.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Apr 12 2022, 04:02 AM
Post #172

Mouth
Group Icon

Minsc has some of the best lines ever envisioned in a game.

"A den of stinking evil! Hold your nose Boo."

and don't forget... "Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes!

This post has been edited by macole: Apr 12 2022, 04:03 AM

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 12 2022, 09:19 AM
Post #173

Master
Group Icon

I like the story between Minsc, Edwin and Dynaheir in BG I, though on the other side it's difficult to keep them in the same party. I kept Minsc in BG II only if he was my companion in BG I, else I'd "remove" him from the game. I once roleplayed a neutral evil Half-Orc, the entire party in BG II was composed of mostly evil-oriented characters, only Minsc was the good-aligned one. Despite constant quarrels and protests I managed to keep Minsc in the party through the entire game. I remember an event from the Underworld, where Korgan, a chaotic-evil Dwarf suggested slaughtering some innocent villagers, and Minsc protested. It was on the protagonist, that is on my Half-Orc to decide, and he sided with Minsc. Korgan grumbled but eventually got over it. It was worth keeping Minsc in the party.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 21 2022, 10:02 PM
Post #174

Ancient
Group Icon

Blood Raven met a famous DnD character

Them!

I updated BG EE 1 from 2.002 (my old version) to 2.660. It comes with a lot of changes, including improved textures.

An example of combat. The floating health bars are optional

The journal/quest log is vastly improved, and is now much more easy to read.

On the whole I am liking the new version of the game. It comes with a lot of small improvements, and has a lot more options now that you can now turn on and off. The whole interface is a lot more readable, especially the spell books, which now have the names of each spell listed beside their icons. The map has an option to add an overlay that shows which areas are accessible and which are not, which is another ease of life thing.

However, you can no longer use the Function keys for things like quicksaving and quickloading. Beamdog says that doing so can cause bugs. I also found that my old NWN2 Soundset mod won't install on version 2.660. But I was able to make a simple soundset by hand, and it will works.

All in all it is an improvement. Currently I am planning on following with BG2EE, and I will use the updated version of that game too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 21 2022, 10:23 PM
Post #175

Master
Group Icon

It's Drizzt, right? It can only be him. Now let's click on the photo...yup, I was right. cake.gif for me.

I saw an ankheg the other day. Annoying creatures. Their armor is good but their pincers are sharp. Still, I avoid them, whenever I can.

I think that Siege of Dragonspear looks about the same like the updated BG EE. Are you planing to play SoD after BG I before moving to BG II, it serves as a prelude to events of BG II?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 22 2022, 12:47 AM
Post #176

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, it's been decades since I played BG1, but I am quite current on BGIIEE. Your game and user interface looks stunningly like BGIIEE. I really had to study what you were doing to ensure you weren't playing BGIIEE in those screenshots.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 22 2022, 01:52 AM
Post #177

Ancient
Group Icon

Lopov: I don't have Siege of Dragonspear, though maybe some day I will look into it. I just have so much other stuff I have not gotten around to it yet.

Acadian: It looks like BG2EE has the same version number as BG1EE, so I think they did the same updates and improvements on both games simultaneously. Probably the same with Icewind Dale EE.

--------------------
+Quote Post
WellTemperedClavier
post Apr 22 2022, 03:05 AM
Post #178

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 22 2022, 01:52 AM) *

Lopov: I don't have Siege of Dragonspear, though maybe some day I will look into it. I just have so much other stuff I have not gotten around to it yet.

Acadian: It looks like BG2EE has the same version number as BG1EE, so I think they did the same updates and improvements on both games simultaneously. Probably the same with Icewind Dale EE.

I played it! Mostly it was pretty good, though I did feel railroaded at a few points (can't go into more detail without entering spoiler territory).

I actually didn't play BG until just a few years ago. I'll commit mild RPG heresy here and admit that I actually really dislike the way the Infinity Engine handles combat. To me, that sort of combat is just better done when it's turn-based. Yes, you can pause it, but that still feels like an extra hassle.

(This is probably why I like Planescape: Torment so much--it doesn't actually require a ton of combat).

Regardless, I still found the game enjoyable.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Apr 22 2022, 01:05 PM
Post #179

Master
Group Icon

I quite liked SoD as well. Some things / events are predictable for those of us that've played BG 2 but there was still at least one surprising story twist close to the end.

I often joke that I've spent my entire youth playing Baldur's Gate and original FOs with occasional jumps to GTA. But the sheer amount of hours that I've invested in BG II, definitely surpasses any other game that I've played since then.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 24 2022, 05:46 AM
Post #180

Ancient
Group Icon

I beat BG1 tonight. I was worried for a little while, because I got stuck at one point. After you kill Rieltar and the other Iron Throne leaders in Candlekeep you get thrown in prison. The game just froze on that, no matter how many times I reloaded. In the end I had to skip over that completely, and after killing the Iron Thronites I had to use the console to teleport myself to the catacombs. But it worked out. *phew*

So I updated BG2 to the latest game version, and imported Blood Raven. Ready to go shadowing in Amn.

--------------------
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:21 AM