7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Talendor Chronicles, Part One
mALX
post Jan 31 2011, 04:59 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

What a brilliant twist you added to the story! Now I wonder what he will end up? You have some great lines in this chapter - too many to quote without spamming the thread, and it looks like Acadian beat me to my favorites, lol. Great Write !!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 1 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #22

Finder
Group Icon

To my two fans, a word like "brilliant" coming from you both is like mana from heaven! Thanks so much for the compliments and support! I am finding it hard to hold back the posts because I am six chapters ahead of my posts with my writing. But I shall remain true to your advice and keep the reins pulled back.

@ Acadian - Re: "Knot-head"...You will find that the not-so-long-to-be-nameless Bosmer will use that phrase often. Anyone acting in an imbecilic manner (including himself) will receive the label. tongue.gif

@ mALX - Indeed, the main quest is but a side road now. As much fun as it was, I was eager to get that portion of the story behind us. Perhaps we will make a sojourn back to it later.

Let's get 'Bosmer' a name, shall we...

Chapter 4 – Unbound, Yet Fettered

The man was smiling and laughing. The woman was also laughing with her arm around the man’s waist. They stood in front of the home and watched the child as it giggled endlessly, chasing a butterfly. Suddenly there was a tremendous thunderclap. The youth stopped and turned in fear toward the man and woman. They were gone. The child looked around, fear growing by the moment. Dark clouds welled up from every horizon, plunging the world into twilight. The gentle breeze became wind, steadily increasing to a full blown gale. The earth began to tremble, knocking the youngster off its feet. The child began to cry. Lightning struck nearby, followed immediately by a deafening blast of thunder. Another, and then another. The frequency increased until the world became strobes of electric flashes and a cacophony of thunderous explosions. The toddler lay shrieking with terror in the grass, its face down to the ground, and its arms over the back of its head. Suddenly all was silent. Complete and total silence. The child could not even hear its own sobs when it rolled onto its back, looking up at the sky. The boiling clouds above swirled and contorted with violence. A ring of light, dim and unfocused at first, brightened within the clouds. Suddenly a rotating ring of nine points of light, like bright stars, broke through the clouds. Without any visible change in cadence, the ring evolved into two rotating rings of four stars while the remaining star grew dimmer and larger. They seemed to be amongst the undulating clouds, not in front of them or obscured by them. The two smaller rings coalesced into red orbs. The dark star grew larger and darker. The clouds morphed into the shape of a beast. The red orbs became its eyes. The large dark orb, which now more resembled a hole in space, became the beast’s mouth. The face of the beast looked straight down at the small person and charged toward it, opening its fang filled maw. The child could not hear its own screams as total darkness enveloped it…

I sat up in the bed with a scream. My hands were trembling and I was dripping with sweat. I shook my head and gave an exasperated sigh as I realized it was only a nightmare. A terrifying one, but just a dream none the less. I looked around the room and jumped when lightning flashed outside, followed by rolling, vibrating thunder. I could hear the wind blowing rain against the window.

I must have heard the storm in my sleep…

I stood up, realizing that I was still wearing my armor. I must have dozed off. I went over to the pitcher and basin on the dresser, poured water into the basin, and splashed my face with it. The water in the basin stilled and brought my reflection into focus.

Now what are you going to do Mister “I-Got-Rid-Of-It-Alive”? You no longer have the Amulet of Kings. You are unbound. Yet you are a prisoner. You have no freedom because you have no knowledge. You have no clue… You don’t even know your own name…

That last thought was the most frustrating of all. I could not introduce myself, or answer anyone that asked what my name was. Knowledge was indeed the key. I needed to learn about where and what I was before I could set my path to find out who I was. However, I desperately needed a name. It would not do to be fumbling like a senile old man if a guard demanded to know who I was. I thought of the two wood elves that I had met so far. Rindir and Thoronir. Bosmer men seemed to have one-word names.

You’re determining this after meeting only two?

I frowned. It was a chance I would have to take. I needed something that sounded similar.

Rindir…Thoronir…

Talondir?

I sounded it out. “Talon-deer,” I said aloud. It sounded like an elk with claws. Shaking my head, I changed it a bit. “Talen-door,” I said aloud this time.

“Talendor,” I repeated. It sounded good to me. Talendor it would be. If anyone asked, I was Master Talendor of Valenwood.

What if they ask you about Valenwood, you knot-head…

Perhaps it would be just plain Talendor then. One issue solved, hopefully. But I still had the issue of my lack of knowledge to contend with. Saying that I was from far away could probably fly for a while, but I would still be handicapped with ignorance about my surroundings. I decided that the pursuit of knowledge would be my primary goal for now. Gain knowledge, and a means of supporting myself. My supply of money would not last indefinitely. I got out of my armor, leaving it lying on the bed, and donned my doublet and linens. Then I grabbed my satchel, headed for the door of my room…and stopped.

Had anyone from Weynon Priory come looking for me?

I opened the door as slowly and quietly as I could. Another lightning flash made me jump, the thunder louder and quicker this time. There was no one in the hall. I slipped out of the room, closing the door just as quietly behind me, and crept toward the stairs. I stopped again before descending, listening intently for voices from the common room. All was quiet. I eased down the stairs, wincing as a few of them creaked. There was still no sound. As I got low enough to see into the common room, I saw Talasma sitting on a stool behind the bar, reading a book…and purring. Her tail swung back and forth like a pendulum on a clock. I took the next step and the tread squealed with an unbelievably loud creak. Talasma stopped purring, raised her head and saw me immediately. She marked her place in the book, set it on a shelf under the bar and stood up.

“Good morning, Bosmer,” she said.

I tried to continue in stride so it wouldn’t look like I was sneaking about. Whether I was successful or not, she gave no hint of.

“Good morning Talasma. How are you today?” I responded. It sounded forced.

“I was just catching up on some reading. It is slow,” she gestured toward the windows, “the weather.”

As if on cue, lightning flashed. Close on its heels was a crash of thunder that made me jump again.

“Relax, Bosmer. Storms of this nature are not uncommon where I come from. This one is sure we will survive it,” Talasma said with a chuckle.

“The thunder caught me by surprise, that’s all. I’m fine,” I fibbed, still trying to forget the dream.

“Perhaps you would care for some food. Maybe a glass of mulled wine for your nerves?” she said, chuckling again.

“Some food would be nice. Eggs with some bread and cheese please. I’ll pass on the wine though. It’s a bit early for that,” I replied.

“As you wish, Bosmer.”

She walked back to the kitchen. I was sure glad to find the common room empty. Brother Jauffre was just going to have to find someone else to go heir hunting. I pulled out my coin purse and counted out twenty Septims. The remainder of the coins taunted me. Money was going to become a problem very soon if I didn’t find a way to gain some income. Talasma soon returned with a plate of food and a carafe and placed them in front of me. It smelled delicious and whetted my appetite immediately. She poured me a cup of milk from the carafe. Speaking around a bite of cheese, I innocently asked her if anything odd happened last night.

“The only strange occurrence this one noticed was you running in here like you were on fire and failing to close the door behind you,” she said with what looked like a scowl.

Think quick…

“Oh. I’m sorry about that. I thought I was being chased…by bandits…on the road…coming back from the priory.”

She cast me a sidelong glance, and then continued, “Well, to put your mind at ease, no one here heard tales of bandits on the road last night. By the way, it will be ten Septims for the breakfast.”

At least no one came looking for me…

I gave her half of the coins I had laid on the bar and tried to steer the subject.

“You wouldn’t know if anyone in town needs hired help?” I asked.

“Well, the Fighters Guild is hiring. Not bad work, if you’ve got the stones for it. Just make sure they don’t send you out on stormy days or down roads with phantom bandits.” she said, and laughed at the joke she had made at my expense, and then continued, “I am sorry, Bosmer. It’s just that you seem jumpy as a kitten with hounds at his hind quarters this morning. No offense meant.”

“None taken,” I replied. Frowning, I took a bite of food.

“If you are worried about your solvency, there are other ways to make money as well.”

“Yes?” I said with a mouth full of bread.

“Yes. You can hunt in the surrounding forest and sell the pelts and meat. You can explore some of the abandoned mines in the area. There is no telling what you might find.”

Underground again? No thank you!

Hunting had real potential though, provided there was sufficient game in the area. I mopped up the last of the egg yolk with my bread, popped it in my mouth, and washed it down with the last of the milk.

“That was a fantastic breakfast Talasma. Thank you very much,” I said as I rose.

“Talasma thanks you as well…what did you say your name was?”

“Talendor,” I replied as if I had been telling people that all my life.

“Thank you Talendor. May luck be with you in your search for employment.”

She gathered the dishware from my breakfast and took it to the kitchen. I collected the remaining ten coins from the bar and walked to the window. The storm had let up. I decided to explore the town and see what I could learn. I left The Oak & Crosier as Talasma sat back in her stool and picked up her book.

EDIT - Nits picked

This post has been edited by TheOtherRick: Feb 3 2011, 03:09 PM

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 1 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

You are doing an Awesome job of giving Talasma personality in your write !! The dialogue between them is Great !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 2 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

Stick to your posting discipline. No faster than once every two or three days. Just use the time to bank up new drafts and edit. goodjob.gif

A powerfully mysterious dream to open things. Wonderful how you tied it to a real storm that had likely triggered the dream.

'Now what are you going to do Mister “I-Got-Rid-Of-It-Alive”? You no longer have the Amulet of Kings. You are unbound. Yet you are a prisoner. You have no freedom because you have no knowledge. You have no clue… You don’t even know your own name…'
What neat insight Talendor expresses here!

I decided that the pursuit of knowledge would be my primary goal for now.
Ahah. So we have an interim objective now. Good choice.

The remainder of the coins taunted me.
Very clever rendition of 'I'm low on cash.' tongue.gif

“Well, the Fighters Guild is hiring. Not bad work, if you’ve got the stones for it. Just make sure they don’t send you out on stormy days or down roads with phantom bandits.” she said
This was enough to endear lovely Talasma to me right here, if her purring while reading and flicking her tail had not already done so.

A very enjoyable read, and I'm delighted our elf has a name! I loved his rational and thinking in choosing it. Looks like maybe some hunting to earn his keep for now?

Nits-
Your opening paragraph is very heavy on the phrase 'the child'. Keeping things (I assume intentionally) genderless in the dream limits your choices. You could try getting creative and inserting a couple alternatives to break things up. Perhaps 'small figure' or 'lone tiny soul'. With some thought you might generate a couple ideas.

'Lightning struck nearby, followed immediately by deafening blast of thunder. Another, and then another.'
I suspect you want either 'blasts' or 'a blast' here.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Feb 4 2011, 02:51 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 3 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #25

Finder
Group Icon

I will remain disciplined and post no more often than I should. I fear the damage may have already been done, judging from the number of comments. But that's ok, because I am having a BLAST! biggrin.gif

@ mALX - Thanks as always for your comments. Just so you know, I have started reading about the exploits of Maxical (Excellent writing, BTW) but I'll wait to start posting until I have caught up. This might take a while...

@ Acadian - Thanks for the nits, and I have picked them. I am always glad to receive advice. goodjob.gif And thanks as well for the story comments. I do believe some hunting is on the horizon.

@ Both of you - I am glad you are enjoying Talasma as much as I am. Plugging a personality into an NPC has been great fun.

On to Chapter 5...

Chapter 5 – Seeking, Then Hunting

Outside the inn, thunder still rolled through the hills in the distance. The rain had slowed to just a drizzle and I shivered briefly at the slight chill in the air. I looked up the street to my right. There was another shop with a sign that had what looked like an open book on it. I walked that way and grinned as the writing came into focus. “Renoit’s Books” it read.

Knowledge…

I entered the book shop. The scent of old paper and leather bindings competed with the aroma of burning wood from the fireplace. Standing near a table was a woman that I assumed to be the shop owner. I walked over to her and she introduced herself as Estelle Renoit, and stated that she was indeed the proprietor.

I explained that I was new to the area and that I was looking for books that could teach me the local customs, politics, or anything else that could help me become better acquainted with this land. She quoted several titles and gave me brief descriptions that sounded promising. Then she quoted the prices. Unfortunately, my dwindling supply of coinage would not permit me any purchases at those prices. Explaining my financial dilemma to her, she simply stated that the books were for buying and that this wasn’t a library. I thanked her for her time and left the shop empty handed.

So much for the traditional approach to education…

I decided to spend the morning exploring the town. Maybe I would overhear someone talking about some work. As I took in the sights, I deliberately walked near people that were having conversations, eavesdropping for information. I rounded the corner where the inn was located, and followed the next lane up a gentle slope toward a huge oak tree. A shop called “Fire & Steel” was located across from the inn. Smoke from the chimney and the ringing of a hammer pounding metal against an anvil described it as a blacksmith’s shop.

At the end of the lane, I found two more buildings with signs on them. “Fighter’s Guild” and “Mage’s Guild” their labeling proclaimed. This was one place where Talasma said I could find work. I wasn’t too keen on the idea of working for a guild that required fighting to be paid, and she hadn’t said anything about making money working for mages.

Just then, I overheard a man talking to an elegant looking woman in a green velvet dress. He was commenting to her about someone named Honditar, saying that he was a good hunter and knew his way around this area very well. I walked over to the gentleman and then, fibbing that I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, inquired about Honditar.

“He’s an Altmer that has a house outside the city walls,” the man said, “You may see him in town from time to time. You can’t miss him. He walks around with a bow and quiver. There he is now.”

He pointed to someone walking up the street. Honditar was an impossibly tall man, with a bow and quiver slung over his shoulder. He wore a dark green shirt and leather pants. His skin was a golden color. He had combed back hair that was bright silver verging on white, his hair line forming a widow's peak in the center of his forehead. I thanked the man and started walking toward the tall man. The Altmer stopped in front of me when I reached him.

“Hello sir. I don’t mean to keep you, but I wonder if you could help me out?” I asked, smiling politely.

“Perhaps I can, perhaps I cannot,” the Altmer replied without a smile.

“My name is Talendor. I am new to this area. I see that you are an archer,” I said, pointing to his bow and quiver.

“I am indeed. I’m Honditar. Hunter and mountain man. You asked if I could help you.”

“Yes, well, I am also an archer and I am interested in hunting game in this area. Can you give me any tips or advice?” I asked.

“The deer are skittish and will lead you on a merry chase if you fail to drop them with your first shot. Try poisoning your arrows. It won’t affect the meat at all,” he said, “but be wary. There are other creatures in the forest much more aggressive than deer. I hope that helps,” he said and started on his way again.

“Um…yeah. Well…thanks for the advice and warning, Honditar. Perhaps we will meet again after my hunting trip?” I said with my best 'fellow hunter' banter.

“Perhaps we will, perhaps we won’t,” he replied over his shoulder.

I had hoped that Honditar would share a little more information than that, but he didn’t seem to be in a good mood and I didn’t want to seem pushy. I continued my walking trip around Chorrol. Past the smith’s shop there was a rundown looking place that I learned was “The Gray Mare”. It was the other inn that Talasma had spoken of, and none too highly of at that. Up the hill from there was a castle. I assumed that the mayor or some such must live there. Suddenly, my stomach growled and I realized that I had killed the entire morning. I went back to the inn for some lunch.

After a quick meal of jerked beef and cheese and some ale, I went up to my room and changed into my armor. I emptied the contents of my satchel onto the bed to make room for all of the meat and pelts I would be carrying back into town. I grabbed my bow and quiver. Adrenaline started coursing through my veins, and I felt the need to hurry. I was so excited that I took the stairs two at a time when I returned downstairs. With nothing more than a parting wave to Talasma, I strode out the door and toward the south gate.

Once I was outside the town, I slowed my pace. As soon as I cleared the town walls, I turned left and started skulking through the tall grass and brush. I overheard one of the gate guards say something in a sardonic tone to his partner about “checking out the master hunter”, but I paid it no heed. I continued along, crouched and attentive, with the town wall not more than fifteen feet to my left. I came across a mine entrance. The mine itself looked like it had been abandoned for some time. The door at the entrance was barely on its hinges. However, there were some fairly fresh looking tracks leading to and from the door. I continued the hunt.

A little further on, I stopped dead in my tracks. Through the trees and brush, I could see Weynon Priory. I wanted to be nowhere near that place. I retraced my steps, walking normally now, back to the gate. The guards were pointing at me and laughing.

“What, no trophies?” one of them said.

They both laughed even harder now. I frowned and turned along the path away from the gate. I would show them. When I reached the Black Road, I continued straight across and into the brush. I couldn’t see far because of the uneven terrain. I walked up a small rise with a crumbling stone wall. There was a much better view of the area when I reached the top. I scanned down the hill and through the trees. Not a deer in sight, or any other animal for that matter.

What did you expect? Herds of deer stretching out for as far as the eye can see?

I turned west, keeping the road in sight so I wouldn’t get lost, and continued my hunt. I topped another small rise just in time to see a deer scamper away in front of me. I quickly drew out my bow and nocked an arrow, but the deer was gone. Honditar had called the deer “skittish”. That seemed an understatement at this moment. I kept the bow out and arrow nocked, and continued in the direction the deer had run. Suddenly, there it was again. With lightning speed I raised the bow, aimed, and shot. The arrow found nothing but air, and eventually, I assume it found the ground. Regardless of what it found, I frowned over the fact that I would never see it again. The deer mocked me with flashes of its white tail as it bounced away…again.

Well that arrow is history. Good shot knot-head!

I combed the woods near Chorrol for hours, losing three more arrows to bouncing white deer butts. The sun was getting low and with a dejected sigh, I decided to call it a day. My hunting tactics definitely needed improvement. Just as I turned to head back, movement caught my eye in the brush ahead. I crouched immediately. More movement. It wasn’t a deer…too small. I crept closer. I could hear my pulse in my temples. Whatever it was, it hadn’t noticed me yet. I could see dark brown fur through the grass. I nocked an arrow, pulled the bowstring to my cheek, and released. At that very moment, the animal reared on its hind legs with its back to me. The arrow struck it dead center in its back and sent it flying.

“Yaaaaaheeeeee!” I yelled, jumping into the air. I ran to my prey and all of the excitement ran out of my heart the second I saw it. I had killed a rat. A filthy, stinking rat! Despair dropped my shoulders. I placed a foot on the fruit of my stalking and removed the arrow. I started to just walk away, but then decided to place the vermin corpse into my satchel. Even if I couldn’t sell it, I may be reduced to eating it when I became broke.

Some trophy…

Back at the south gate, I was grateful to see that the two guards had been relieved by others. I entered the town and walked over to Northern Goods & Trade, went in and met Seed-Neeus at the top of the stairs.

“It looks like someone has been hunting. Any luck?” she asked.

“Not really,” I said, pulling the rat from my satchel by the tail, “Do you buy these?”

She flicked her forked tongue out rapidly a couple of times, and then she said, “Well, we Argonians don’t mind a little rat meat now and again, but it is not a big seller in these parts. I might be able to sell it to Rena for her dogs. It would be better if it was cleaned. I’ll tell you what. I will give you one Septim for it. But next time, you have to clean it first.”

I handed the rat to her and she dropped the coin in my hand. Without a word, I turned and left. I felt completely demoralized. With sagging shoulders and a lowered head, I dragged myself back to the inn.

EDIT - Nits picked.

This post has been edited by TheOtherRick: Feb 4 2011, 02:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 3 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

I continued along, crouched and attentive, with the town wall not more than fifteen feet to my left.
I love the image of Talendor stalking along almost within reach of the city wall. Master hunter, indeed! smile.gif

The arrow found nothing but air, and eventually, I assume it found the ground. Regardless of what it found, I frowned over the fact that I would never see it again. The deer mocked me with flashes of its white tail as it bounced away…again.
Hunting would be so much easier if the darn deer would just attack you. tongue.gif

I’m sorry I’m too new at this to have any advice for you. I am enjoying Talendor’s adventures very much!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 4 2011, 01:15 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

ROFL !!! I absolutely love this chapter! The mocking guards ... pulling one rat out of his satchel by the tail and holding it up ... BWAAAHAAA !!! And then she gives him just one Septim ... SPEW !!!

AWESOME WRITE !!!

This paragraph stood out to me as an example of your ability to slip a little detail in that completely enhances the read:

She flicked her forked tongue out rapidly a couple of times, and then she said, “Well, we Argonians don’t mind a little rat meat now and again, but it is not a big seller in these parts. I might be able to sell it to Rena for her dogs. It would be better if it was cleaned. I’ll tell you what. I will give you one Septim for it. But next time, you have to clean it first.”

Loved that paragraph - so easy to visualize the scene!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 4 2011, 03:18 AM
Post #28

Paladin
Group Icon

Old business - I reread your edited version of the dream that opened Chapter 4. Nicely done.

Chapter 5 here was just a joy to read! What a delightful tour of Chorrol followed by an impressive display of big game hunting.

'I couldn’t see far because of the uneven terrain.'
Bah! The young wood elf on my shoulder assures me that you couldn't see far because you are shorter than the tall grass, just like she is! biggrin.gif

I see that dear mALX selected a fabulous line to quote above, and I agree about forked tongues and rat meat. tongue.gif

'Well that arrow is history. Good shot knot-head!
I combed the woods near Chorrol for hours, losing three more arrows to bouncing white deer butts.'

This type of self-deprecation and wry sense of humor is part of what is causing Talendor to quickly worm his way into our hearts.

Indeed, this entire hunting expedition served to render Talendor as quite endearing!

Nits?

'He had combed back hair that was silver to the point of white and his hair line came to a point in the center of his forehead.'
I recommend, during your editing, to seek out and eliminate repetition of words in close proximity. Especially when those words or their use is rather memorable as the word 'point' is here. A couple alternatives (I prefer the first):
'He had combed back hair that was silver to the point of white, and his hair line came to a widow's peak in the center of his forehead.'
'He had combed back hair that was silver - almost white - and his hair line came to a point in the center of his forehead.'

I said with my best “fellow hunter” banter.
I think this is purely a style choice so please feel free to ignore it. By using full "quotation" marks, I paused briefly to verify that it was not dialogue. I would use single 'quote' marks here.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 5 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #29

Finder
Group Icon

Another two days has come and gone...time for more...but first, thanks are in order...

@ Grits - I agree...A deer would be easier to kill if it was charging and yelling "Die, Fetcher!" (Visions of 'When Animals Attack' video in my head now). laugh.gif

@ mALX - I am e-mailing you some paper towel to clean up the spewing that I caused. I hope your keyboard is not permanently damaged. tongue.gif

@ Acadian - Tell Buffy that Talendor still isn't used to being short, so he blames it on the lay of the land. tongue.gif As always, thanks for the nits...they have been picked goodjob.gif I am grateful for the critique.

@ All - Thank you all for the comments and keeping me inspired to continue. They mean a lot.

And now, Talendor was heading to the inn after selling his rat...

Chapter 6 – “These are bad people..."

I walked into the common room of the Oak & Crosier. Talasma briefly glanced up from her duties to see who had come in, and then went back to them. Honditar, of all people, was sitting at the bar. Two other men were near the fireplace talking to each other. I noticed that Honditar had laid his archery gear on the floor between his stool and the bar. I pulled out a barstool and did the same as I sat down heavily with despair. Talasma walked over to see if I needed anything and I told her that just some water would be fine. When I started to dig for coins upon her return, she said there was no charge for water. I thanked her and she went back about her business.

“So, it seems we will meet when your hunt is done after all,” Honditar said to me.

I looked over at the hunter. I really didn’t want to talk about it. The dejection must have shown on my face.

“Oh come now, it couldn’t have been that bad,” he pressed.

“You don’t know the half of it, Honditar,” I said, “I spent hours walking through the woods. I lost four good arrows while shooting at the white taunts of deer backsides. I’ll tell you how bad it was. Do you want to know what I got for my lost arrows and sore legs and frustration? I got one rat! That’s it! One stinking, lousy, flea-bitten pile of vermin! I shouldn’t say ‘worthless’…at least Seed-Neeus felt it was worth one whole Septim,” and I turned back to mope at my water cup.

“Talendor…it is Talendor, right?” he said as he slid his stool a little closer, “You must not be so hard on yourself. I could tell you were a novice when we met. Anyone with experience would not have stopped me on the street as you did. You may indeed be good with the bow, but the hunt is a different matter. As with all things in life, success comes with practice and patience. Come by my house tomorrow. We will go out together and get you a deer. My only fee will be that you replace any arrows that I lose. That means it’s free, because I’ll not lose one.”

He is going to help me?

I turned to look at the Altmer again, “Are you serious?” I asked incredulously.

“I would not have offered otherwise,” he said.

“Oh wow! I really do appreciate this, Honditar. You just don’t know,” I said. Lowering my voice, I continued, “I am almost completely broke. If I don’t get something soon, I will be outdoors at night like the beggars I see around town.”

“Well then here is a piece of advice. Rather than come over tomorrow, I’ll tell you now where you can do better than a deer. Right outside the wall, there is a mine---“

“I saw it today,” I piped up.

Honditar looked at me with a frown.

“Sorry,” I said.

“As I was saying, there is a mine that I have heard still has some silver left in it. Possibly more than that, due to the tenants---”

“Tenants?” I queried.

He frowned again, sighing this time.

“Sorry,” I said again.

“Yes. Tenants. It is a bandit den. They sometimes stash their loot there while they are looking for buyers. So you may get lucky. But be warned! No one in that mine can be bargained or bartered with. They will kill you on sight, so you must do the same,” he finished.

“I must do the same?” I asked with widening eyes, “Kill someone that has done nothing to me?”

“You mustn’t look at it that way. Look at it like…like you are performing a service. These are bad people, Talendor. They have wronged others and gotten away with it. Most of their victims were probably murdered when they were robbed. You would be serving justice. Even better, you would be serving it anonymously…seeking no glory. You can curry favor with The Nine using those ideals, if you need to,” he said, and took a long pull off of his bottle of ale.

“Let me ask you then,” I said, “why haven’t you done it?”

He looked around for a second, and then leaned over to me.

“Let’s just say I don’t do well in cramped spaces,” he whispered, and then he sat up and continued, “Besides, I don’t need the money. But that’s not the point. You, my Bosmer friend, are perfect for it. You are small, agile, and stealthy. That bow of yours is just as effective in a cave, especially against a foe that doesn’t know you are there. Aim true and don’t be seen. I must leave now.”

With that, he stood, finished his ale, grabbed his belongings and left. I realized that for the first time since all this began, someone had called me ‘friend’. I turned to thank him, but he was gone.

The mine meant underground, unknown tenants...
Would there be zombies too?
You are broke '
Talendor', or whatever your name is. Do you want to be a beggar?

I sat there staring at my empty water cup, frowning over those thoughts.

“Would you like some more water?” Talasma asked me. I hadn’t even seen her walk over.

“Huh? Oh…no thank you. Have I paid for the bed for tonight?”

I stared at the mine entrance in the early morning light.

Aim true and don’t be seen…

I was about to cross a line. Not just the line between the light of day and the dark underground. I could always return from that. There was no coming back from the line I was about to cross, for good or ill. I wrestled with it for what seemed like hours.

They will kill you on sight. You must do the same…

Can I do that? Up to now, everything I have killed has meant to do the same to me, or would have if given the chance. Honditar’s words echoed again…

They will kill you on sight…

I believed the Altmer. I had no doubt that they would. But this seemed different. These wouldn’t be vermin or reanimated corpses or goblins. They were people.

These are bad people...

I tried to picture a family being robbed. The man of the house cut down trying to defend his family. That thought helped. It helped a lot! If I could really believe that I was bringing justice to those that deserved it, perhaps I could pull this off and still sleep at night. My self-doubt was crippling me.

Justice…

With a deep breath, I opened the door and entered the mine. As soon as the door closed behind me, an arrow whistled past my ear and hit the door with a resounding *THUNK*. I was so startled that I bolted right back out the door and then turned to face it, back pedaling. It suddenly burst open and a bandit leaped out of the mine. She saw me immediately. She laughed and drew her dagger, then came at me yelling, “Dying time is here, child!”

Child?

I had only a moment to jump up on the nearest boulder and avoid her charge. The bandit’s momentum carried her past me. Before she could turn, my sword was out and the tip slashed her between the shoulder blades. She screamed in frustration and pain, falling to the ground just as a guard came running through the brush with his sword drawn.

“What is going on here?” he bellowed.

The bandit rolled over and threw her dagger, burying it in the guard’s sword arm just above the bicep. As the guard’s sword fell and the bandit got to her feet, I acted. I raised the hilt of my sword over my head as I jumped off of the rock, and swung hard as I came down, cleanly removing the bandit’s head. It was over that fast. I was standing over my handiwork, panting for breath. Something was puzzling me. What? The guard was on his knees, grimacing as he removed the dagger.

Child?

“Are you ok?” I asked the guard.

“Yes, but you are coming with me,” he grunted as he came to his feet, “Come on now. I need to have this tended to.”

I wiped the blade of my sword on the bandit’s greaves, sheathed it, and followed the guard. I still felt puzzled, like I had missed something. As we approached the gate, another guard came through. He saw the blood on my escort’s arm and his eyes went wide.

“Rantus, take this fellow’s statement. I’m on my way to the healer. Oh…there is a dead Dunmer just outside the wall, likely a bandit. When you are finished with him, see that it is taken care of,” ordered the wounded guard.

“Yes sir,” Rantus said, and then turned to me. “Okay, let’s hear it. What happened out there?”

I quickly removed my fur helmet, trying to show respect. I looked at it in my hands…

What am I missing?

Then it hit me! That bandit was going to kill a child! “Dying time is here, child”, she had said. I was horrified. She couldn’t see my ears and thought I was a child!

“She was going to kill a child!” I blurted out.

“What? What child? Start from the beginning, Bosmer,” Rantus insisted.

If you mention the mine, you won’t be able to go back to it later…

“Oh…sorry. There was no child. She…the bandit…thought I was a child. You see, I was out for a morning stroll, and this bandit jumped out from behind a boulder…”

I told the guard in detail exactly what happened, leaving the mine out of the story. When I finished, Rantus asked where I was staying. When I responded, he told me to return to the inn and not to leave until he had verified everything, and that someone would be by to see me. I assured him that I would comply and we parted.

That woman was going to kill a child! What kind of person murders children?

The horror in my thoughts turned to icy rage in my veins. I don’t think I’ll have any trouble killing bandits from now on…

This post has been edited by TheOtherRick: Feb 5 2011, 03:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 5 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

The moral struggle here over preemptive strikes is very effective.

Being mistaken for a child is a great way to resolve that. Yes, that bandit was going to kill a child. Never mind that Talendor is not a child.

This has been great so far, and I apologize for not commenting sooner. I like to see how a story develops before I start jumping in. Good job! goodjob.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 5 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

And now, Talendor was heading to the inn after selling his rat...
You had me laughing before the chapter even started. Nice!

The whole exchange between Talendor and Honditar was priceless. I can just see Talendor irrepressibly swinging his feet and the Altmer frowning down at him. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 6 2011, 03:30 AM
Post #32

Paladin
Group Icon

I agree that the first scene was a delightful exchange between Talendor and Honditar.

'They will kill you on sight, so you must do the same,” . . .
Look at it like…like you are performing a service. These are bad people, Talendor. They have wronged others and gotten away with it. Most of their victims were probably murdered when they were robbed. You would be serving justice.'

Buffy just checked her doctrine. You're cleared hot, Talendor! You can trust her on this; she lives or dies by the preemptive strike. She's quite surprised that you actually got good advice from Honditar!

The second scene involving the mine/bandit/guards was equally priceless. I am quite growing to love your adorable little elf!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 6 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

I am still wondering if Honditar is really claustrophobic (sp?) or if there is another reason he had Talendor do that mine. Loved the little twist where she thought he was a child! Without another word we know Talendor is short now - and how he came to realize that the bandit was willing to kill a child ("What am I missing here?" - that was perfect for realism that he had to think over the situation before it hit him. Great Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 7 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #34

Finder
Group Icon

First, to the authors of Buffy the Bowgirl, A New Sun Rises, Jerric's Story, and Old Habits Die Hard...I have been reading these amazing works, but I am refraining from posting until I have caught up with the posts. That will be some time from now for 3 of the 4 because I joined so late. But cudos to you all for your great writing! goodjob.gif

@ h.e.rider - Welcome and thanks! biggrin.gif No need for apologies. The crazed child-killer is indeed going to ease the moral implications for Talendor.

@ grits - Talendor's impulsive interuptions are fun for me because I deal with subordinates at work that act the same way! laugh.gif

@ Acadian - Talendor thanks Buffy for the thumbs up on preemptive strikes. We are also glad that you two have found a place in your heart for him.

@ mALX - As far as we know, Honditar is telling the truth. Yes, Talendor is short, but he feels that the world is big rather than he is small. tongue.gif

@ All - As always, thanks for the compliments and support. And thanks also for giving me a red envelope to open! biggrin.gif

On to the next installment...

Chapter 7 – Return to the Mine

All of the formalities regarding today’s incident were completed. I was not going to be brought up on any charges because it was an obvious case of self-defense. The guard who had come to pass on that information had even thanked me! I was eager to return to the mine. The flame of anger that the child-killer had ignited was becoming a furnace of vengeance that needed to be vented. I waited for a few minutes after the guard had gone, then left the inn. Once again I headed toward the town gates. I tried not to look too anxious or hurried, but the morning was closer to midday now, rather than dawn. I restrained myself to a brisk walk, squelching the urge to jog.

When I finished retracing my steps to the mine entrance, I paused at the door again. I took a deep breath and focused. Slowly this time, I opened the door and crept in, very careful not to alert any denizens of the mine. The arrow that had come inches from ending my stay in this land was still stuck in the door. My pulse was rapid, but my breathing was calm, and my anger had gelled into palpable purpose. I waited a few moments, allowing my eyes to adjust to the darker surroundings. I was in a short tunnel that led to a room with a small fire burning in its center. Creeping as quietly as I could, I surveyed the room. There was a chest set to one side. It was locked, so I fished out a lock pick and went to work on it. I heard the annoying snap of the pick’s tooth breaking, and dug out another. After one more broken pick, it opened on the third try. There were six gold coins lying in the bottom of the chest, as if they had been left behind by accident.

I sure hope this isn’t Honditar’s idea of ‘more to be had’. This won’t even buy a meal…
Stay focused knot-head!

I proceeded to a closed door opposite of where I had entered the room. I drew out my bow and pulled an arrow from my quiver. I nocked the arrow, putting minimal pressure against the bowstring, and then I pushed the door gently and it swung open. As I did, a shape walked into view. I raised my bow, drew the arrow back, aimed and released. With a grunt, the shape was knocked backward and went down, never knowing what hit it. I retreated a few steps, setting another arrow and listening for any noise at all. Satisfied with the silence, I went through the door. I stepped on something that made a metallic *clank*, and saw movement above and ahead of me. I dodged to the side as quickly as I could, but excruciating pain raced through my shoulder. The force of whatever had hit me spun me around violently, and stars flashed as my head met with the hard rock wall. A million stars became darkness…

I had no idea how much time had passed when I opened my eyes. My ears were still ringing and I could taste coppery liquid in my mouth. I moved my tongue and winced. Apparently I had bitten it rather hard. Memory of where I was suddenly returned and despite the pain, I jumped to my feet. There was no sound other than the ambient noises of the mine. I relaxed my vigilance long enough to utter the odd sounding word that brought on white light and the amazing healing effect. The immediate tangible health relieved my head, shoulder, and tongue.

I looked at a spiked iron ball hanging from a chain, and at the pressure plate that I had stepped on. A painful lesson learned. The tenants weren’t the only things to be wary of in here. I looked at the dead shape, discovering that it was indeed a bandit. Retrieving the arrow would require surgery to remove it undamaged, so I just left him lying there with a feathery flower protruding from his chest. There was another chest in this room. I picked the lock cleanly on the first attempt, gaining 12 more Septims and a lock pick.

There were two passages leading further into the mine. I chose the one on left, but soon heard voices, so I back tracked to the other passage. I followed the serpentine tunnel to another closed door. I could hear voices from the other side and see movement through the slits between the door planks. I leaned toward the door and peered through the crack. There were two bandits in the next room. As I watched, one left the room through another passage. This was my chance. I backed away, setting an arrow. I pulled back the bowstring and shoved the door with my foot. As soon as the door was open far enough, I laid out the killer of children with a shot to its breastbone. Without hesitating, I readied another shot and silently headed down the passage that the other bandit had entered. A silent shot dropped this one as well.

With these tactics, I continued through the bandit lair, sending three more child-killers to the netherworld. I found a couple more chests with cash and some potions. One chest had a peculiar type of large gemstone. It was pale blue with a slight glow at the center. I also encountered two more traps. The first I set off by stepping through a trip wire, but because I was moving so slowly, the oversized flail missed its intended target. The second trap must have been set by a complete knot-head. The trip wire was totally visible under the light of a lantern. I simply stepped over it. This led to a chamber that had a curved stone wall.

Could this be the foundation of Chorrol’s town wall?

The large chamber had the look of a camp. Tents were pitched and a fire was glowing in the center. Movement caught my eye and I shot the bandit before he could realize I was in the room. I missed his vitals and he was only staggered. He yelled and drew his weapon. Another shot finished him off before he could close half the distance. I searched the rest of the room. Someone had been digging at the far end. I could see where they had broken through the rocks into what looked like sewers.

Satisfied that there were no more enemies about, I slung my bow and drew a torch out of my satchel. I lit it with the campfire and saw one last chest between the tents. It yielded a pouch with thirty Septims, another potion, and a jeweled ring. The tents had bedrolls in them. Thinking that a bedroll might be useful someday, I helped myself to one of them. I walked over to the dead bandit and retrieved the two arrows that had been his undoing.

“Take that, you child-killing piece of offal,” I said aloud, and then stared at the dead bandit for a moment.

You are serving justice. Even better, you are serving it anonymously…seeking no glory.

Honditar was right. I did feel like I had served justice where it was needed. And I wanted no glory, but I felt the need to leave some kind of sign that I had gained vengeance for a dead child somewhere. A thought came that made me chuckle, and I removed the bandit’s boots and placed them in my satchel. Any bandits I brought to justice would have to run shoeless through the netherworld if they were bent on chasing children.

May the netherworld be paved with shards of glass.

Leaving the camp chamber, I again noticed the trip wire that was there for all to see. When I passed it, I drew my sword and stretched my sword arm to be as far from the wire as possible, then set off the trap. Several heavy logs tumbled from above, crashing down to where someone would have been standing if they had set it off as intended. No one would need to worry about that now.

With the lit torch, I took a closer look at the surroundings during the walk back to the entrance. I checked for additional valuables in any barrels or crates that were not smashed, but there were none. I also took the boots from all of the dead bandits along the way, sarcastically saying 'dying time is here' more than once as I did. I doused the torch when I reached the entrance and stepped outside. Night had fallen and stars studded the sky in the gaps between the clouds. I was either unconscious for longer than I thought, or stealthily creeping through abandoned mines took a long time. Either way meant that it was time to get back to the inn.

When I entered the common room, I walked to the bar and set my satchel on a stool. I dug around the boots and pulled out thirty Septims.

“This is for the next three nights, Talasma,” I said as I laid them on the bar.

“Thank you,” Talasma said, “So, Talendor, did you find work as a cobbler?” She asked with a grin as she noticed all of the boots in my satchel.

I laughed heartily, then said, “No, but tomorrow I am going to be a shoe salesman,” and burst out with more laughter as I walked up to my room. When I closed the room door behind me, I dumped the contents of the satchel on my bed. Between the cash, and what I could make selling the potions and boots, I did pretty well for myself. I would need to speak to Honditar about telling me where more of these mines were located. I organized all of my loot, stripped and washed at the basin, and went to bed. I was grinning and chuckling up to the moment that sleep took me.

EDIT - Picked a nit.

This post has been edited by TheOtherRick: Feb 7 2011, 08:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 7 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Great vengeance segment! But I'm not sure I'd be so quick to label all bandits as child-killers on the basis of one Dunmer umbrella seller who's likely off her rocker. Still, it was a good excuse to go in there and get rid of all of them!

However, I'm with SubRosa on that the game devs kind of blew it a little by making all bandits homicidal maniacs. IRL most bandits were forced into banditry due to unfortunate circumstances and crushing poverty. I've been thinking of working a little bit of that into my fiction, and have a great idea how to do it. We'll see. Anyways, your choice on whether or not to take that into consideration, or stick pretty closely to the game mechanics and its often glaring inconsistencies.

Anyway, I did see one nit:
May the netherworld would be paved with shards of glass.
Looks like you meant to remove this during a rewrite?

Keep it up! tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 8 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #36

Paladin
Group Icon

I suspect Talendor is not at his best toe-to-toe. He hasn't the stones or steel to declare himself and survive if he is wrong. Therefore he has to make choices that often involve striking preemptively to survive. The bandit that attacked him condemned all her kind to no warning, no quarter. Buffy understands this perfectly. Now, that said, I certainly think the game would be improved if occasionally a bandit decided he was outmatched and ran. I believe such is unlikely versus a fragile wood elven hero or heroine however. Now, against the katanas of a mighty Redguard heroine, were I a bandit, I would indeed flee!

'A million stars became darkness…'
This is beautiful!

Grabbing a bedroll! What a great idea, and they are so handy.

So, Talendor emerges with a fistful of septims and a bag full of boots after inflicting everlasting barefoot doom upon his foes.

'Night had fallen and stars studded the sky in the gaps between the clouds.'
This also is beautiful. It paints a perfect and clear picture in very few words.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 8 2011, 07:39 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

Beautiful descriptive phrases - and the Talendor gets some of his self respect back with the revenge and Septims in his pocket - Awesome Write !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 9 2011, 06:33 PM
Post #38

Finder
Group Icon

Another couple days have come and gone...time flies when you're having fun biggrin.gif

RE: Homicidal maniacs that don't run away...I agree whole-heartedly that the devs dropped the ball here. At times, human enemies will in fact retreat, but unfortunately it is only temporary. Without spoiling future posts, suffice it to say that Talendor will find some compassion. The only reason I know this is because I have already written it. tongue.gif

@ h.e.rider - Thanks for the nit (picked) goodjob.gif . So far, Talendor has only had limited exposure to bandits. Since the first one was an admitted child killer...well, if it walks like a duck... wink.gif

@ Acadian - You are correct. Talendor would prefer to strike from a distance and remain unscathed...for now...because it hurts! tongue.gif

@ mALX - Relief from poverty! biggrin.gif Visions of homelessness are gone!

@ All of you - Thanks again for your comments and support! biggrin.gif

Chapter 8 – Honditar’s Offer

I awoke feeling in better spirits than I had the past few days, eager to get to today’s tasks. I got up and washed my face, pausing again to look at the unfamiliar face framed by those impossible ears staring back from the basin. Sighing, I got dressed and placed my armor and weapons at the foot of the bed. Gathering up all of the loot from yesterday, I shouldered my satchel and went down to the common room. Talasma bid me a good day and I ordered some breakfast. While eating, I planned out my day. I knew where I could sell the boots and shields that I had purloined from the deceased child-killers. However, I wasn’t sure about the odd gem and potions. I asked Talasma where might be a good place to sell these items.

“Well, this one would suggest the Mages Guild. Seed-Neeus over at Northern Goods & Trade would likely purchase them as well. If none of them are interested, then come back and see me,” she replied.

“Talasma, if I knew you better, I’d scratch you behind your ears,” I said grinning.

“You keep that room rented and Talasma will remain helpful, despite the pet cat joke that I’ve never heard before,” she said, the last part dripping with sarcasm and punctuated with a roll of her eyes, and then she added that the breakfast would be ten Septims.

I finished eating, paid for the meal, and left. I saw Northern Goods across the street and decided to go there first instead of the Mages Guild. When I entered, an Argonian female walked right up to me and spoke.

“Hello. I don’t think we’ve met. Are you new in town?” She said very pleasantly.

“I am indeed. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” I replied.

“Likewise! I am certain that my mother will be glad to meet you as well,” she said jovially.

“Your mother?” I asked.

“Yes. She is the owner of this shop. My name is Dar-Ma.”

“Talendor,” I said with a slight bow, “and I have already met your mother. She seems like a very nice liz…umm…lady. I was just about to see her.”

“Well, let’s not keep you then,” she said and practically bounced up the stairs. I followed and found Seed-Neeus at her usual station.

“Good morning. I just made your daughter’s acquaintance,” I told her.

“Dar-Ma here is the best daughter a mother could ask for, kind hearted and a friend to everyone she meets,” she said, and then she gestured to my satchel as she continued, “Have you brought me more rats? They had better be cleaned this time.”

“Actually, I have some potions I would like to sell,” I said. I fished out the small vials, almost knocking the blue gem out of the satchel, and handed them over for her to inspect.

“These are actually poisons, not potions. See the green color of the liquid? It’s a dead giveaway. I’ll give you five Septims each. But I noticed an oval shaped stone in your bag there. May I see it?”

“I was going to inquire about that as well,” I said as I reached into the satchel and pulled out the pale blue stone. Her eyes widened as I handed it to her.

“This is a Soul Gem. A petty Soul Gem, if I am correct. Do you see this slight glow in the center? That means that there is a soul trapped within it. I don’t get many of these. Would you part with it for say, twenty-two Septims?”

I agreed to her price and then told her that I also had a ring I would be willing to sell. She paid another nine gold pieces for it. With our business concluded, I bid farewell to the ladies and left. Forty-six Septims richer, I walked over to Fire & Steel, grinning the whole way. When I arrived, I found the store closed. Shrugging, I decided to walk up to the great oak tree in the cul de sac at the end of the lane. There were benches arrayed around the trunk and I took a seat.

I pondered my situation as I waited for the smith’s shop to open. I was no closer to solving the riddle of my current dilemma. At least I had a name to confer to people, but I was still clueless as to whom I really might be, and how I came to be in this land. I was managing to fit in, but some of the lessons had been painful, literally. The most confusing part was my familiarity with some aspects, like using a bow and incanting amazing powers. As soon as I was concluded with the selling of my loot, I would seek out Honditar. Perhaps he would have some answers for me. Looking down the lane, I noticed a woman come out of Fire & Steel to shake out a small rug. I got up and walked to the store. When I went in, the woman I had seen greeted me.

“Hello. I am Rasheda – the smith – and this is Fire and Steel. I have quality weapons and armor, and I can repair your gear as well. What can I do for you?” she said with a smile. She reminded me a little of Rohssan in Imperial City. Well muscled for a woman, with her dark hair pulled back in a ponytail. She wore a leather blacksmith’s apron over her stained shirt and trousers.

“I recently came across these boots and shields while…on an excursion…and would like to sell them,” I said.

She examined them and offered twelve Septims for the six pairs of boots and two fur shields. I frowned a little, expecting they would bring in more than that, but agreed to her offer. She paid me and I thanked her. Leaving the shop, I set out to find Honditar. I had been up by the great oak when I met him for the first time, so I went back to the benches by the tree. My wait was a short one, because about ten minutes later, Honditar rounded the corner by the inn and headed toward me. I got up to intercept him.

“Good morning Honditar,” I said when we met in the street.

“And salutations to you as well, my new Bosmer friend. So, did you take my advice and search Crumbling Mine?”

“Well, that’s a story. Is there somewhere we can talk?” I asked.

“We could go to the inn, or sit on the benches near the oak,” he replied.

“I would prefer somewhere more private.”

“We could go to your room, I suppose. That might start some pretty ugly rumors though. Tell you what, let’s go to my place. We can talk over some mulled cider,” he offered.

“That sounds fine,” I replied, and we headed for the town gates.

Honditar’s house was little more than a shack just outside the town walls. Despite its outward appearance, the interior was clean, with a frugal, rustic décor. No frills, just the creature comforts of a bachelor’s domicile. Stag heads on the walls attested to his hunting ability. He poured some cider into an iron pot and hooked it on a rod over the glowing coals in his fireplace.

“Please, have a seat,” he said, motioning to the bench in front of the table.

I placed my satchel by the door and sat down. The aroma of apples and cinnamon began to fill the air as he grabbed a couple of cups from a shelf and placed them on the table. Then he placed some sliced cheese on a plate and set it on the table as well. Lastly, he wrapped his hand with a cloth and removed the pot from the fireplace. He filled the cups with the steaming brew as he sat.

“Okay then, what did you wish to discuss that we could not talk about in the open?” Honditar inquired.

“This is going to sound crazy, but please hear me out to the end,” I said.

I wasn’t sure I was making the right decision, but I needed help, and Honditar was the only person to date that had called me a friend. I spilled the whole story. My waking in the cell, my amnesia, my belief that I was smaller than I ought to be, my intuitive knowledge of many things, the Emperor’s death…the whole story right up to my sitting here with him. This took several cups of cider and caused more than one raised eyebrow on Honditar’s face. When I finished, he just sat there for a bit, looking as if he were contemplating whether to believe me or not. Finally, he spoke.

“That is a fantastic tale, Talendor. It does explain why a Bosmer would be asking an Altmer for hunting advice, when normally the opposite would be true. I am afraid that I have no answers for you, but I can help you. Here is what I will do, and it will not be for free mind you. I expect something in return, but we will negotiate that later. I will be your tutor, for lack of a better word. I will teach you about Tamriel, about her races and cultures, her lands, and most importantly, her dangers. What say you?”

“Are you kidding me? I knew I could trust you! Of course, the answer is yes. But I have very little money. I made enough to keep me in the inn for a bit, but that’s all,” I replied.

“We can discuss payment as we go along. Your poverty is going to be the first thing that we address. I know of many more locations in this area that will provide for your rise to solvency. You wouldn’t have a map by chance, would you?” he asked.

I reached for my breast pocket and realized that it was still in the breast pocket of my cuirass. When I told him of this, he said to go get it and bring it back here.

“Make haste, so that we may plan your travels for tomorrow and allow you time for sufficient rest,” he said, and rose from the table.

I stood as well and told him I would be right back and left. Walking back to the inn, I was smiling ear to ear. So far, today’s events could not have gone any better!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 10 2011, 01:42 AM
Post #39

Paladin
Group Icon

I continue to thoroughly enjoy this! You have hit upon a marvelous combination here between your interesting story and your wonderfully endearing character.

Loved the pet cat joke and Talasma's reaction to it!

I think everyone likes Dar-Ma and it was nice to see her and her mother. Gradually, Talendor's coinpurse is gaining a touch of heft.

A bold move by Talendor to spill his beans to Honditar, but I must agree with the little elf, that getting some 'tutoring' is just what he needs. I really look forward to learning of Honditar's advice. It has to be better than poisoning a deer. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 10 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

I'm struggling on whether Honditar can really be trusted, but love the chapter !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 04:33 PM