7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods
SubRosa
post Apr 26 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #61

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been doing the opposite. I am deleting mods I currently have whose authors have decided that money means more to them than the modding community. I saw Arthmoor has a for pay mod, so I deleted the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch. That was the only thing of his I had. Since his Unofficial Patch for the main game only caused bugs for me, rather than fixed them. I will just deal with whatever Dawnguard bugs I meet myself.

Shezrie has sold her soul for cash too, so out went the Hearthfire Kitchen mods she made which I was using. How that will affect my games where those were already built, I don't know. Worse comes to worse I will just not use those houses in those games and mod my own. It would not be the first time for that.

And the maker of Pure Waters is up there too, so I deleted that. I will just have to find another mod that makes water semi-transparent. Or do it myself. Whenever I get back to playing Skyrim. If I ever do that is.

This is not as easy to do as I thought, as Apparently Valve no longer speaks American. And this is after I manually set the language to English...

I also found this on the Steam Workshop. I wonder how much it costs? I cannot tell, since my Finnish is not so good...

Change.org also has a petition you can sign if you are against this. Not that believe it will make the slightest difference in Bethesda's business plans. But it is one way to voice your opinion.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 26 2015, 06:31 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 26 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #62

Paladin
Group Icon

Heh, I've never navigated beyond the one Steam screen I needed to install Skyrim + DLC + CK so I have never seen this 'Steam Workshop' - and don't expect I ever will. So I don't know which modders are doing what. I just have a few mods I've been watching that I'd like to have available on Nexus like the one that makes folks run inside when dragons attack - in case I ever go beyond 'Dragons Lite' in my game.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 26 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #63

Councilor
Group Icon

I saw a comment from Mardoxx and thought it was a joke, but apparently he was serious. Seems that new versions of SkyUI will be for-pay only, which of course is a pretty big deal for a lot of modders and mod users. From what I’ve read the SKSE folks do not support paid mods. Should be interesting to watch what happens next.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 26 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #64

Ancient
Group Icon

That is disappointing. It looks like I will be deleting that too then. Maybe I will just stop playing Skyrim.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 26 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #65

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 26 2015, 12:52 PM) *

I have been doing the opposite. I am deleting mods I currently have whose authors have decided that money means more to them than the modding community. I saw Arthmoor has a for pay mod, so I deleted the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch. That was the only thing of his I had. Since his Unofficial Patch for the main game only caused bugs for me, rather than fixed them. I will just deal with whatever Dawnguard bugs I meet myself.

Shezrie has sold her soul for cash too, so out went the Hearthfire Kitchen mods she made which I was using. How that will affect my games where those were already built, I don't know. Worse comes to worse I will just not use those houses in those games and mod my own. It would not be the first time for that.

And the maker of Pure Waters is up there too, so I deleted that. I will just have to find another mod that makes water semi-transparent. Or do it myself. Whenever I get back to playing Skyrim. If I ever do that is.

This is not as easy to do as I thought, as Apparently Valve no longer speaks American. And this is after I manually set the language to English...

I also found this on the Steam Workshop. I wonder how much it costs? I cannot tell, since my Finnish is not so good...

Change.org also has a petition you can sign if you are against this. Not that believe it will make the slightest difference in Bethesda's business plans. But it is one way to voice your opinion.

I had Steam do that to me too, it took me a whole lot of jumbling around and finally restarting my PC and re-signing in with them/verifying something - it finally went back to English.

I agree with you in this: nothing we do will make any difference at all in the long run. Bethesda had these plans a long time before they pulled this, knew there would be an outcry, that is why they are totally ignoring the threads and letting everyone spew.

When we are all tired from hashing and reacting, it will all still be there. The only way to stop it would be a united boycotting of Valve/Steam/Bethesda; and that will NEVER happen. We are gamers, our games are on Steam, and Fallout 4 is about to be announced and revealed at E3.

So we may as well face it that no matter what we say it won't change anything. We all need to start proactively planning how we need to protect ourselves for the future and what we are going to do in the long run.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 26 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #66

Spam Meister
Group Icon

But is there really a reason to remove mods you already downloaded? Surely you canīt be forced to pay considering they were completely free when you got them?

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 26 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #67

Ancient
Group Icon

The utter contempt I feel for these people precludes me from taking any enjoyment from a game with their work in it.

Usually I can remove my personal feelings for a musician or actor or other artist/creator from their actual work. That is why I can still enjoy listening to Guns N Roses in spite of what I feel for the members of the band intself (yes, I am looking at the singer in particular). But there comes a point where I just cannot do it, and with those people all I can do is simply boycott their material. That saves me the heartburn of stewing about how much I loath them while I am trying to watch their movie/listen to the song/etc...

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 26 2015, 09:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 26 2015, 11:01 PM
Post #68

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 26 2015, 04:13 PM) *

The utter contempt I feel for these people precludes me from taking any enjoyment from a game with their work in it.

Usually I can remove my personal feelings for a musician or actor or other artist/creator from their actual work. That is why I can still enjoy listening to Guns N Roses in spite of what I feel for the members of the band intself (yes, I am looking at the singer in particular). But there comes a point where I just cannot do it, and with those people all I can do is simply boycott their material. That saves me the heartburn of stewing about how much I loath them while I am trying to watch their movie/listen to the song/etc...

I'm checking to see if I gave kudos or endorsements to any of them - removing those; figure these people didn't consider that a good enough compensation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 27 2015, 12:08 AM
Post #69

Ancient
Group Icon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-U1HZrV_ZI...eature=youtu.be

Read the subtitles - (Bethesda/Valve meeting caught on camera)

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 27 2015, 12:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 27 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #70

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm more upset with Steam than anyone else. Slightly less so with Bethesda since they are, to some extent, reaping the unhappy consequences of selling part of their soul to Steam with their decision to hand over control of Skyrim to Steam back in 2011 - I have to believe they are feeling some buyers remorse about their relationship with that 800 pound gorilla at this point. I'm a bit less upset with modders that are dabbling in the dark side. Perhaps they have been lured by dreams of a career in game development. I expect those with integrity and half a brain who have done so will soon realize what a bad arrangement all around that it is. I would not be surprised to see many of them going from lured by Steam to burned by Steam to pulling their work from Steam. I can hope that is the case anyway. From what little I know of it, such appears to perhaps be the case with this Chesko modder. I hope that someone talented enough to make SkyUI will, after being 'Steamed', see the light and return to the free fold.

My dream would be that no modder of conscience or talent would go near Steam's paymod ploy and the scheme will collapse. Someone badly misjudged what the TES community wanted with pay-to-play ESO and we see how that fell apart. So maybe there's hope.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 27 2015, 01:08 AM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

Here is the list of mods behind the paywall:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/...pproval&p=1

And here is a list of the Service Providers who a person can opt to give 5% of Valve's cut of the take:

Blender
MCM
Nexus
AFK-Mods
Polycount (who?).

--------------------
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Apr 27 2015, 01:09 AM
Post #72

Agent

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 26 2015, 02:09 PM) *

When we are all tired from hashing and reacting, it will all still be there. The only way to stop it would be a united boycotting of Valve/Steam/Bethesda; and that will NEVER happen. We are gamers, our games are on Steam, and Fallout 4 is about to be announced and revealed at E3.

So we may as well face it that no matter what we say it won't change anything.

I have not bought and thus have not played Skyrim. I will not buy and thus will not play Fallout 4 or TES VI.

The ONLY thing that counts for anything between you and Beth is whether or not they get your money for their games. If they get your money for their games, then they've succeeded - you have chosen to reward them for making that product. Your opinion of the product or of Beth counts for absolutely nothing (hasn't M'aiq told you that enough times already?). Their only goal is to get your money from you, so if you give them your money, you've done the only thing they need you to do.

Giving them your money then complaining about them on a forum is the equivalent of giving a mugger your wallet then flipping him off as he walks away. I guess it might feel somewhat gratifying, but it counts for nothing - they still have your money and don't have to, and don't, care what you think about it.

Now - I don't believe that my refusal to give Beth any of my money is going to have any real impact on them. But, first and foremost, it satisfies my sense of integrity. I know that I am doing my part as a consumer - doing the ONLY meaningful thing that a consumer in a free market can do - by refusing to give a company my money in exchange for a product that I don't find satisfactory. And, more to the point, I know that if more people thought the way I do and approached it the way I do, it actually would make a difference, and FAR more difference than any number of posts on any number of forums could ever make. All it would take is for other individuals to make the same decision. And they, like me, have to make that decision on their own, one at a time.

/sermon winkgrin.gif
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 27 2015, 01:11 AM
Post #73

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 26 2015, 07:08 PM) *

Oh my goodness, that guy's laugh! It sounds like his heart is going to seize up like engine of an old chevy! laugh.gif

I am kind of surprised that Hitler has not popped up to say anything about this. Given his previous opinions about Kanye West, or getting a Wii for Christmas instead of a PS3, not to mention Ben Affleck being cast as Batman... biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 27 2015, 02:30 AM
Post #74

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 26 2015, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 26 2015, 07:08 PM) *

Oh my goodness, that guy's laugh! It sounds like his heart is going to seize up like engine of an old chevy! laugh.gif

I am kind of surprised that Hitler has not popped up to say anything about this. Given his previous opinions about Kanye West, or getting a Wii for Christmas instead of a PS3, not to mention Ben Affleck being cast as Batman... biggrin.gif

rollinglaugh.gif Oh, Mirocu would love the Taylor Swift one, lol.

Oh, on his laugh - YES! I actually knew an old lady that laughed like that, and just hearing her laugh used to make me fall into hysterics laughing. I would walk into the office and look at her, she would pull the ever-present cigarette from her mouth and make a "PAaaaaaa" sound, and that would set me off laughing. Then when I was wiping my tears from laughing so hard I'd hear "Huiuuiuuiuuiah huiaiuih" and go off again. Our boss had to separate us to get any work done. Peggy.

Her face was brown and her mouth all wrinkled from smoking all the time; her ash tray was a tire hub and was full constantly; and you never saw her without that cigarette. She would even talk with it in her mouth, her thin lips gripping it as she talked around it and it flipped all over without ever once dropping a long line of ashes - OMG, she was so funny. I LOVED her!

I could have developed lung cancer just working in the office with her though, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 27 2015, 03:23 AM
Post #75

Paladin
Group Icon

MALX, thanks for posting that list of paymods. Pretty much what I'd expect - mostly junk.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 27 2015, 04:24 AM
Post #76

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Apr 26 2015, 10:23 PM) *

MALX, thanks for posting that list of paymods. Pretty much what I'd expect - mostly junk.

Yeah, I was shocked to see that Redguard house just dumped down in the middle of the road - meaning NPC's traveling through there will have issues - no landscaping; and one of the windows looked like it was below the dirt! Really crappy work.

I got a kick out of a few of them "Nothing" - an empty ESP because I just want your money; etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 28 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #77

Paladin
Group Icon

I believe this is good news indeed:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorks...632365253244218

This was linked on the BethSoft forums. I went to Steam and checked 'News' there, which verified that they have removed the paid mod function from Steam after listening to input from less than happy users. Seems they agree they did not fully grasp what they were doing and have, happily, backed away from this bad idea. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 28 2015, 01:00 AM
Post #78

Master
Group Icon

Now that's interesting! I honestly did not expect Valve and Beth to back down from this new "business model."

But the article you quoted has one statement that leaves me uneasy, and yes, fairly queasy:
We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here

I doubt Valve will give up so easily.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 28 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #79

Ancient
Group Icon

That is good news.

h.e.r. Forbes ran this interesting article a few months ago. At first I thought it was merely ironic when all the paid mod stuff happened over the weekend. But it might be that useful feature. Still, I doubt Bethesda would have the vision, or enlightened self-interest, to do it.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 28 2015, 01:27 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 28 2015, 01:31 AM
Post #80

Ancient
Group Icon

WOOO HOOOOO !!!! It is OVAH !!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:00 PM