> Mass Effect 3, Discussion thread
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 1 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #61

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Feb 28 2013, 05:11 PM) *
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 28 2013, 10:49 AM) *

Ooh, ooh, one thing I remembered; Elizabeth, thinking of Mass Effect-related paerphanalia that makes you cry, have you read Blue Rose of Ilium? Because if you haven't, it's absolutely phenominal. It will also make you cry. Like a goddamn baby.

No, because I know what its about and I refuse to XD

Hah, fair enough. I remember my thought process when I was first reading it was something along the lines of 'don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, oh crap I'm crying.' tongue.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 1 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #62

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 27 2013, 12:22 PM) *

And I believe the offical Bioware line is that they're going to do more Mass Effect, but without Shepard. Casey Hudson stated in an interview that 'Commander Shepard's story ended at the end of Mass Effect 3' so that strikes me as pretty final.

I read that interview too, but I think that was just Casey sticking up for his team in the wake of all the bad press surrounding the endings. When they revisit the subject once cooler heads have prevailed I believe that they are going to have a change of heart. Leaving Shepard's story the way it is now is unsatisfying no matter which ending you choose.

As for the Indoctrination Theory, I believe that it gives Bioware the perfect 'hook' for going back in and revisiting the story. I'm not saying that they should incorporate everything that the documentary suggests, but the idea that:

lifts the Mass Effect series from just another good space opera with a bad ending to a once-in-a-generation mind job.

Edit: Yes, I know this is all probably wishful thinking on my part, but I can hope... right?

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Feb 27 2013, 01:11 PM) *

They are doing another one, I think it's when the First Contact Wars started.

Maybe we can play as a Turian! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 27 2013, 01:18 PM) *

That's the current theory, yeah. Personally I'd like one following Wrex's career; that would be awesome.

Or maybe follow Grunt as he becomes leader of his own kraant (or whatever it's called).

My vote would be to follow another Spectre, like Jondum Bau or go back early into Tela Vasir's career.

This post has been edited by Destri Melarg: Mar 1 2013, 07:49 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 1 2013, 08:56 PM
Post #63

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Mar 1 2013, 06:48 PM) *
QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 27 2013, 12:22 PM) *

And I believe the offical Bioware line is that they're going to do more Mass Effect, but without Shepard. Casey Hudson stated in an interview that 'Commander Shepard's story ended at the end of Mass Effect 3' so that strikes me as pretty final.

I read that interview too, but I think that was just Casey sticking up for his team in the wake of all the bad press surrounding the endings. When they revisit the subject once cooler heads have prevailed I believe that they are going to have a change of heart. Leaving Shepard's story the way it is now is unsatisfying no matter which ending you choose.

As for the Indoctrination Theory, I believe that it gives Bioware the perfect 'hook' for going back in and revisiting the story. I'm not saying that they should incorporate everything that the documentary suggests, but the idea that:

lifts the Mass Effect series from just another good space opera with a bad ending to a once-in-a-generation mind job.

Dude, face it; they're not incorporating the Indoctrination theory. I'm sorry, but they're not.

Besides, if you ask me, Shepard should die at the end of Mass Effect 3, whatever ending you pick. Because how the hell can you top saving the entire galaxy from the Reapers in any conceivable way? What the hell is Shepard going to do next? Retire, try and hold the galaxy together maybe is galactic president or somesuch, live his/her entire life knowing that whatever they do, they peaked at 35 and will never, ever be able to top that whatever they do. That's pretty goddamn depressing. Dying in a final, heroic sacrifice to bring an end to the Reapers and save the galaxy on the other hand; that's the perfect end for a hero. Shepard goes at his very peak, before anything can be tarnished, before the shine can wear off and before the inevitable lifetime of boredom and dissatisfaction can occur. Perfect.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 1 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #64

Forum Bard
Group Icon

The devs said from the start that they intended Shephard's story to be a trilogy. 3 parts.

They've said multiple times during the creation of the series however that they'd be open to a continuation within the same universe but stated that it wouldn't include Shephard.

My bet is that they'll move backwards in the ME timeline to before Shephard was even thought of if they continue in the same universe.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 1 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #65

Ancient
Group Icon

Either way, I'm looking forward to whatever they put out. Kind of. I put almost as much time in the ME trilogy as the last two ES games and love the universe.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 1 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Mar 1 2013, 09:24 PM) *
Either way, I'm looking forward to whatever they put out. Kind of. I put almost as much time in the ME trilogy as the last two ES games and love the universe.

I'm probably going to get whatever comes out as well, in the end. Considering the amount of backlash that ME3 provoked, I imagine Bioware are going pay a lot of attention to how they handle its development and so forth, so while the whole ME3 outcry may well have given the internet a new dead horse to flog for years to come (because after ten years, maybe we were running out of horse with The Phantom Menace) it might be a good kick up the backside that points Bioware in the right direction.
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 2 2013, 01:40 AM
Post #67

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Mar 1 2013, 11:56 AM) *

Dude, face it; they're not incorporating the Indoctrination theory. I'm sorry, but they're not.

You can face it if you want to. Those endings are too bad for me to face without some form of blind, trusting optimism which I will adopt until Bioware disabuses me of it. biggrin.gif And I never said that they would incorporate the Indoctrination Theory. I only said that they should.

Besides, if you ask me, Shepard should die at the end of Mass Effect 3, whatever ending you pick. Because how the hell can you top saving the entire galaxy from the Reapers in any conceivable way? What the hell is Shepard going to do next? Retire, try and hold the galaxy together maybe is galactic president or somesuch, live his/her entire life knowing that whatever they do, they peaked at 35 and will never, ever be able to top that whatever they do. That's pretty goddamn depressing. Dying in a final, heroic sacrifice to bring an end to the Reapers and save the galaxy on the other hand; that's the perfect end for a hero. Shepard goes at his very peak, before anything can be tarnished, before the shine can wear off and before the inevitable lifetime of boredom and dissatisfaction can occur. Perfect.

Shepard doesn’t need to live to make the endings satisfying. Like you (and for the same reasons), I believe that it is better if he dies. Right now, he is a Kennedy. If he somehow lives he becomes a Clinton. tongue.gif The problem is, as it stands right now, the three ending choices are just flat-out bad (Synthesis? Really? huh.gif ). Worse than that, they are a cop out. It is my hope (and, again, I must stress that it is a hope) that people as creative as the team over at Bioware have gotten the kick up the backside you mentioned.

QUOTE(Kiln @ Mar 1 2013, 01:07 PM) *

The devs said from the start that they intended Shephard's story to be a trilogy. 3 parts.

The same thing was said about Master Chief. wink.gif

They've said multiple times during the creation of the series however that they'd be open to a continuation within the same universe but stated that it wouldn't include Shephard.

My bet is that they'll move backwards in the ME timeline to before Shephard was even thought of if they continue in the same universe.

The thing is that they almost have to move backwards in the timeline from here because Bioware has basically written themselves into a corner. 3’s endings make it difficult (to say the least) to move forward in the Mass Effect universe unless you create three almost completely different games to accommodate people based on the ending they chose.

_____

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I was only expressing optimism that a company with a track record of games that I enjoy would naturally want to go back and fix a mistake. I'm sorry you guys don't feel that way, but the fact that you don't doesn't invalidate the fact that I do.

Besides, I'm still holding out hope that Bioware will re-visit Jade Empire someday... so my optimism is pretty hard to kill! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 2 2013, 01:42 AM
Post #68

Ancient
Group Icon

Not to mention, Destri, if they went forward with the ME universe, they would pretty much only have Krogan.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 2 2013, 02:11 AM
Post #69

Mouth
Group Icon

rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 2 2013, 02:19 AM
Post #70

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Mar 1 2013, 07:11 PM) *

rollinglaugh.gif

Think about it!!!! The mass relays are destroyed, and who's gonna feed the army of Krogan? The Turians and quarians(assuming th player went with Quarian) would die due to their immune systems and dietary needs, the salarians are just...salarians, and the humans, volus, and asari would be food for the Krogan. Then they'd turn Earh into Tuchanka Part Two.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 2 2013, 03:57 AM
Post #71

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Destri: Halo is a bad example. Bungie had the series taken away from them and given to another studio for the creation of Halo 4. They didn't get a say in the series' future.

I doubt the same is going to happen with Bioware. I can see the next game set in the same universe but I hink it is time to admit that the ending of ME3 sucked (though it is slightly better with extended cut) and that Shephard is dead.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 2 2013, 04:28 AM
Post #72

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Mar 1 2013, 02:56 PM) *

Awww come on now. Shepherd could kill rats for the Fighters Guild. Or fetch the mead for the Companions. Or maybe even get a ring from a well for the Mages Guild. There is still plenty left to do! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 2 2013, 06:45 AM
Post #73

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 1 2013, 09:28 PM) *

Awww come on now. Shepherd could kill rats for the Fighters Guild. Or fetch the mead for the Companions. Or maybe even get a ring from a well for the Mages Guild. There is still plenty left to do! biggrin.gif

HAAA.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 2 2013, 07:54 PM
Post #74

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Mar 2 2013, 05:45 AM) *

HAAA.

Edi, take us in. We've gotta land.

Got it Shephard. Putting us down near what appears to be a small settlement.

*Cue Elderscrolls theme song*

Mass Effect 4: Valenwood

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 2 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #75

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Mar 2 2013, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Mar 2 2013, 05:45 AM) *

HAAA.

Edi, take us in. We've gotta land.

Got it Shephard. Putting us down near what appears to be a small settlement.

*Cue Elderscrolls theme song*

-giggles like crazy-

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 2 2013, 08:06 PM
Post #76

Master
Group Icon

How many people are going to make a new TES character and name them Shepard now?

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 2 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #77

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Mar 2 2013, 01:06 PM) *

How many people are going to make a new TES character and name them Shepard now?

-slowly raises hand-

She will be a pure biotic, too. XD

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 2 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #78

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Mar 2 2013, 07:06 PM) *

*Whistles innocently*

I just might... laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 2 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #79

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Mar 2 2013, 03:13 PM) *

*Whistles innocently*

I'll be different and make an Argonian named Garrus.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Mar 2 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #80

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Mar 2 2013, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Mar 2 2013, 03:13 PM) *

*Whistles innocently*

I'll be different and make an Argonian named Garrus.

-girly squeal-

GOD IDEA!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:20 PM