Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serene of Cyrodiil, chapter 7, Comfort is given, Justice is taken...
minque
post Mar 30 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #1

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Here is the link to: Minque's Stories

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Nicolo Machiavelli

Chapter 7, "Comfort is given, Justice is taken"

After spending a week in the good custody of Lloros Sarano I was back in Sarethi Manor again. Athyn, who had visited me every day while I was in the Temple, was ecstatic at having me back. I was worried about him; he had had too many traumatic things happen to him during the last six months, and now he seemed more exhausted and worn out than ever. In fact what he needed mostly now, and I too, for all that it mattered, was a vacation, a break from the normal struggle. I promised myself that when all this was over with we’d go…somewhere…that was, if I survived…

The prophecy by Sinnamu Mirpal was very clear to me, and it was also confirmed by the recent attempt on my life, because I knew very well who was responsible for that; the amulet I ripped off my would-be assassin was familiar; it belonged to the Venim family. I doubted Bolvyn himself was the one who tried to kill me, but whoever it was, it was on his orders, of that I was certain.

So all I had to do was to challenge Bolvyn Venim to a duel and then end his life, at the Arena in Vivec…?

Of course it was not that simple! I had to ponder a lot how I should let Justice be taken. I had to take active part in the government of House Redoran, to be able to get to know where the loyalties were. I had to know the standpoint of the other councilors and also raise their disposition to me.

Thorough planning was crucial here; otherwise I would be the one who would bite the dust. I also needed to train my sword-skill. I hadn’t used my Katana for a long time and I knew I had to be beyond simply good if I was to defeat a man like the Archmaster. I didn’t even consider another way of fighting him; a duel at the Arena witnessed by the Nobles of my House would be the only honorable way of dealing with this matter.

I discussed my plans with Athyn; naturally he tried to talk me out of it!

“Serene, I don’t like the thought of you being decapitated by Bolvyn Venim, In fact I don’t like the thought of you being decapitated at all. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you!” he said, holding me close to him. “Why not let Sethyas do the fighting instead? He’s very skilled and…and he is a man! Besides, I know you do not like to take lives, even if taking this life would be justified.”

I took his face between my hands, kissed him deeply and sighed;

“I was convinced you would be the first one to stand behind me in this! I’ve told you about the prophecy of Sinnamu Mirpal…I’ve told you about my weird dream…and you know I am protected by Azura! You, Athyn Sarethi, the sun of my life, I love you more than you will ever know, and I beg you to support me now! The life of Bolvyn Venim will be taken by a woman, not a man, and that woman…will be me!”

Tears burned behind my eyelids as I once more kissed him. I was aware of his fear to loose someone dear to him and also the fear of acts of reprisal from the Venim family. But I couldn’t let that stop me; I had to do this once and for all or I’d never get peace at heart again.

Before he made an attempt to answer me I told him about a book Drulene Falen once showed me, “The Hope of the Redoran”. I actually never read the book but Drulene had told me what it was about.

“You for one should know that some things just have to be done,” I said, “If you hadn’t defeated your cousin back then, we wouldn’t be having this conversation at all.”

Athyn hesitated for quite some time before answering me. I could see in his face he’d given in to me, that he’d stand by my side all the way…This was of great comfort to me.

“I’ll go with you to Fort Buckmoth,” he said, sounding defeated and tired. “You will have to go through thorough training before you can even think of challenging the Archmaster, because that’s exactly what you’re going to do, right?”

I nodded and he continued;

“Since you are familiar with that confounded book, I think you know the name of the lady who used to train me when I was young? Shardie was the very best trainer to be found. She and I got on very well together and it is because of her that I have the position I have now…But you know all that.” Athyn paused, getting out a bottle of brandy and two glasses.

“We will need some fortification I think,” he said and offered me a glass. We tasted the beverage and he continued;

“Shardie has a daughter, named Shardie-Lee, who now is a master-trainer at Fort Buckmoth. She’s known as just Shardie and she is the one who I’d like to train you. Then you will have the best there is!” Athyn gently stroke my chin. “I care so much for you my love; I do not want to loose you.”

“We’ll be off to Fort Buckmoth, first thing tomorrow,” Athyn concluded. “So let’s spend this evening as nicely as we can, shall we?”

We had far too much brandy, far too much good food and maybe far too much love, but I still remember that evening as maybe the last evening that I still was somewhat innocent.

My head was aching and I could hardly stand the bright sunshine the following morning as Athyn and I were heading towards Fort Buckmoth. He, too, obviously suffered from last night’s events because he walked by my side silently with his head somewhat down. The sun was warm and I was drenched in sweat under my full Imperial Armor. Athyn had to take off his robe and carry it; the heat, or maybe last night, took its tribute out of him, and his face was a tad more grayish than usual, with beads of sweat forming on his forehead and he had to stop a few times to regain strength. I was carrying a small satchel with a few shirts and an extra pair of trousers together with my usual herbs and plants; nothing much really but it felt as heavy as if I’d had stones in it.

We found Shardie-Lee sitting in the shadows in a corner of the courtyard when we arrived, her brown skin glistened with perspiration and she was drinking from a large jug. Four young soldiers were scattered on the ground, totally exhausted, apparently from the hard training.

When Athyn presented himself and me her eyes widened; “I’ve heard about you, Serjo Sarethi, from my mother!” she exclaimed with a smile, “Nice to finally get the opportunity to meet you!”

I let Athyn do the talking, for my stomach was in uproar and I merely felt like vomiting; the heat and last night affected me severely. I sat down in the shadows, taking a sip of water, thinking ruefully that I’d have big trouble getting to my feet again…armor is just not meant to wear sitting down…

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Mar 30 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Its back! And up and running! Wonderful! And she is ready to enact her vengeance! After she recovers that is....
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Mar 30 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Ah, so she gets some training. Sweet, now we can see one of those traditional training scenes that are shown so often in those martial arts movies. Only exception is, the master is not a cranky old man who would rather look after his farm.

And I can thoroughly concur with the quote above, even though I've never been in the situation before. (And plan to keep it that way.) If you're in a life or death situation, screw honour and do whatever is necessary to finish the bad guy permanently, using every dirty trick in the book and outside the book. But that isn't the Redoran way, so it won't work here.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Mar 30 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Excellent way to start this chapter Minque. We definitely can understand Serene's motives for doing what she must, and it's nice to see that Athyn has (relunctantly) allowed Serene to do so.

She'll definitely has her work cut out for her though, Venim is known to be an excellent and skilled swordfighter. Let's hope this Shardie will train Serene like she's never been trained before. I would suggest Serene to lay off the drinking for a little while, it'll help wink.gif

Continue when you can!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
blockhead
post Mar 30 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #5

Finder
Group Icon

Ooooooooooooooooooooo. This is ... wow ... great. smile.gif cake.gif

The choice of the Machiavelli quote at the beginning was most excellent. biggrin.gif It gave me shivers. Forshadowing; your mark of quality literature. wink.gif

And the use of a quote from one of the in-game Temple books as the chapter title - wow.

This post has been edited by blockhead: Mar 31 2007, 03:22 AM

--------------------
I left
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Mar 30 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

Yes, heavy drinking never seems to be good for you whether it be emotionally, phsyically, or psychologically. nono.gif

Serene is likely to go through h*** for the next update or two.
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Mar 31 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

I enjoyed the way Serene convinced Athyn to back her in her rather ambitious plan. I'm glad that he accompanied her to the fort, and I hope he'll stick around for moral support during her training. Even with the best trainer around, it is going to be hard work for Serene, and she'll need his support at the end of the day.
+Quote Post
BSD-IES
post Aug 14 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #8

Unregistered

Another of the classic TES fanfics. So beautifully done. I really hope you regain your creative muse soon, as (selfish I know) I'd just love to read an update to this.
+Quote Post
Lucidarius
post Aug 30 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Evoker

Serene fighting Bolvyn Venim, now that I would like to read about. Will her sword skills improve dramatically, or how can she defeat the cunning Archmaster?

I like Serene's compassion for others and her extraordinary healing skill. She is a very human heroine with strengths and weaknesses like all of us. I agree with BSD-IES, that it would be wonderful with an update.

--------------------
Virtue itself turns vice, being misapplied,
And vice sometime's by action dignified.
Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet II, 3
+Quote Post
minque
post Sep 23 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #10

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok...at last! Hopefully I´m over the "WB" and will be able to keep this story running again! Now we´re getting a bit forward in this update..but we aren´t really "there" yet are we? But be patient, dear readers, especially one of you,, wink.gif We´ll get down to business pretty soon...

Now here it is, enjoy!

...............................................................................................................................................................

The following three months were an endless round of sweat, pain and above all…food! I never was a big eater, and thus I was rather slim, almost skinny according to some, like Sethyas Velas. Now Shardie-Lee was determined to make me into a bundle of muscles, to improve my chances to defeat my sworn enemy.

I had to eat at least five times a day, more if possible. All I can say is that it was an ordeal; I struggled to down the big chunks of guar-meat together with stewed ash-yam, saltrice and boiled Kwama-eggs that were put in front of me at each meal.

I did nothing but eat the first two weeks, there was no use in training muscles that were non-existent, as Shardie said. Slowly I gained weight and my strength improved. My training-program was intensified by time. An average day could be as follows:

Wake-up call at 6 am, then running a special trail that was set up for me around the Fort, for over an hour. Breakfast, lots of protein and vegetables. Athletics-training for three hours, until my arms and legs were hurting, and then lunch….lots of food of course!

In the afternoon I had swords-training, first with one of the dummies, then with Shardie herself or one of her better pupils. After dinner I had some free time, but by then I was so exhausted that I normally fell asleep. Before going to bed at 9 pm I had to take another shot on the running-trail.

Normally a program like this is too hard, but in my case it had to be done quickly. I couldn’t let the Archmaster bully my family more than necessary, so I just had to rush things.

Athyn did not visit me at all during this time. He said he wouldn’t do it, because he might try to talk me out of it, and he wouldn’t distract me. Now Sethyas, on the other hand, paid regular visits to follow up my progress. He didn’t speak much during his visits, just told me how things were going back home and watched my swords-training, a thing I really didn’t like; he made me nervous and thus caused me to make unnecessary mistakes.

One afternoon I decided I’d had enough. I simply threw my katana on the ground in the middle of a series of thrusts at the dummy and stepped right over to Sethyas where he was standing by the wall.

“Get off my back, Seth! You make me nervous watching me like this! Please do not interfere with my training anymore, I beg you!”

Sethyas looked at me with a faint smile on his face, and then he gently wiped a trickle of sweat from my cheek.

“Easy now, Renie, you’re doing well! I’m just here to see that you’re ok; Athyn worries about you and want me to watch over you.”

That condescending answer made me even angrier; I was a grown woman who had had my share of harsh life, and I did not need any kind of baby-sitter, not even one of my beloved one’s lackeys.

“Do not call me that! For you I’m Serene, nothing else!” I yelled at him, then I took a deep breath, knowing I shouldn’t really let this get to me. Although I loved Athyn, I could not allow myself to be distracted; I needed to focus on the goal of my training… There would be time for other things if I survived- if I did not… I just could not think about that.

“I’m sorry Seth, I’m just very high strung at the moment and I have to admit I’m scared to death of the forthcoming duel.”

“Excellent! Then you may even make it! If you hadn’t been scared I would have been worried, and ok, apology accepted.” Sethyas answered

He then saluted me and went away. I had problems focussing the rest of that afternoon and Shardie wasn’t satisfied at all with me.

One day, as I was slashing and thrusting with my katana at the dummy as I usually did every morning after breakfast a somewhat familiar voice spoke from behind me.

“Why not give me a match? As far as I remember you’re pretty good with that monster of a sword.”

I swirled around and found myself face to face with Telemachos, the guard who I had gotten to know really well at the Imperial Prison back in Cyrodiil. I panted, and sweat was running down my spine, but I was really glad to see him. In fact I never thought I’d ever see him again.

“Telemachos! What are you doing here?” Not the politest way to greet an old friend, but I was too astonished to find the right words.

“I could ask you the same, dear Serene,” Telemachos laughed and gave me a big hug, “That is if I didn’t know….which I do! I’m here to give you special training, sweetie.”

Telemachos gave me special training indeed, and I wouldn’t be sitting here writing this if he hadn’t shown up at Fort Buckmoth that cloudy morning.

Life had been rather prosperous for him during the years since we both were at the Imperial Prison, and he told me his story that very evening;

“At the time of your mysterious release, the Emperor took a deep interest in the Prison, and especially in us guards. I think, but this is only my thoughts, that he suspected a kind of threat to his life. Anyway, I gather you know about your former fellow-prisoner Sonya? She was enrolled by the Emperor approximately at that same time…and so was I. I’ve served in the Emperor’s secret army since then, and now I was sent for to conclude your training, since it’s important that you win your forthcoming battle. The Emperor really has an interest in you, and I don’t know if that’s bad or good…for you that is! He feels he has invested too much in you to see you killed in a duel. It’s a cold-blooded sort of mathematics, but he is an Emperor, after all.”

I didn’t comment on this; I was too used to the fact that everybody else seemed to know the purpose of my missions and tasks, except me. Then again I was glad to have Telemachos around; I felt I could trust him.

I told him about my life after the release and he listened carefully. At some times during my story he nodded as if my words confirmed something he already knew, such as the Talos Cult-plot for instance.

When Telemachos took care of my training, I improved my skills enormously. After an additional month I was strong, skilled and self-confident; I would go back to Ald´ruhn and challenge Archmaster Bolvyn Venim to a duel of life and death…and I was sure to win this duel, not exclusively due to my physical strength and skills, for I got a sign, on the very day of my departure from Fort Buckmoth I got a sign…but when I stood in the archway of the Fort, my satchel on my back, looking at the grey stone walls…I was scared to death…

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 23 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

Woo-Hoo! She's back, she's back....! [Celebratory dance ensues].

Sorry. [Gathers remaining shreds of doggie dignity and starts over].

Glad to see that you have overcome the WB and graced us with more of your story. The reappearance of Telemachos is a nice touch- it serves to remind Serene (and us) of how far she has come- and also that those who have drawn the Emperor's eye seldom have peaceful lives.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 23 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

I have treydog's exact same sentiments. I am overjoyed to see you get past the dreaded writers block. Let's hope the next update won't suffer the same delay this one did. I will stay patient as always though.

Great update!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
blockhead
post Sep 24 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #13

Finder
Group Icon

Serene is back! YAY!

I'm so glad you posted an update! Thank you thank you thankyouthankyou!!!

Now my day is happy. smile.gif

--------------------
I left
+Quote Post
Lucidarius
post Sep 24 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #14

Evoker

These are great news, Serene is back and preparing in earnest to meet up with the corrupt Bolvyn Venim. This will be a great fight of the underseeded versus the veteran but Venim better relish his last days before meeting a determined, though scared Serene.

Your attention to details and explanation of your characters' reasoning are drawing me in as always. Serene is under much pressure and stress which you portray really well with her anger at Sethyas and later apology, great.

--------------------
Virtue itself turns vice, being misapplied,
And vice sometime's by action dignified.
Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet II, 3
+Quote Post
Tellie
post Sep 24 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Wohoo, and update again, really good minky smile.gif

And Telemachos have also returned, thats nice, I really liked him, so it's good to see him back.

So poor 'Renie is going after Bolvyn is she, well if I might suggest so, she could tell Bolvyn to take his own DDK and push it up a place where the sun dont shine, and so he wont have to go through the 'humiliation' of loosing to a woman, after all, imagine it, the Redoran Archmaster, defeated by an imperial female, it would be the talk for ages biggrin.gif

Alternatively 'Renie could also stab her sword up a place where the sun dont shine on poor Bolvyn biggrin.gif

Nice update as always, and I'm eager for more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Sep 24 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, so the secret to total behind-whacking is food? I'll have to keep that in mind.

But despite all the Redoran honour and all, I still don't see why a little flick of Telekinesis would be considered cheating. Geez, it's not my fault that eyeballs and other soft bits (brains, heart, lungs, other organs) are so damn squishy.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
minque
post Sep 24 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #17

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Thank you all...for nice comments, heh..maybe I haven´t totally lost my touch then....

* Tellie: Your amusing suggestions where to push up a DDK are hilarious..I´ll keep them in mind biggrin.gif

*Jackie: Of course the secret id FOOD! tongue.gif Lots of it! yayy Especially if you´re skinny, which Serene was...

*Lucidarius, Blockie, Mallie and Treydoggie: I´ll just say thank you all!

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Sep 25 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #18

Knower
Group Icon

It's great to get another update to this beloved story. The emotional depth of your characters continues to make this a favorite of mine.

Amusingly (and perhaps disturbingly), may favorite scene was Serene losing her cool with Sethyas. Perhaps it was because that, more than anything else, felt real/believable.

I hope you have indeed conquered the WB so that we can enjoy more frequent updates. Thanks for continuing to share your story with us.
+Quote Post
Honorius
post Jan 22 2008, 07:00 AM
Post #19

Associate

Well, now that i find the last installment posted, i get a cliffhanger!

As for the story, i'm really impressed. The depth of your characters is

amazing: it makes your story very believable. Keep up the good work!!!

--------------------
"I don't live in a state of Denial, I'm just picky about the realities I choose to accept.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 9 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #20

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok folks, so we go a bit further again...heh this part is dedicated to Black Hand for letting me take some liberties with his great charachter, Serjo Sethyas Velas, whom I'm ridiculously fond of!

Thanks Blackie!
wub.gif

I was scared because I couldn’t get last night’s dream out of my head. It still was so vivid; if I closed my eyes I could see it inside my head, clearly as if it was really happening right in front of me, which it wasn’t of course:

I was at Ald Daedroth, with the Ahemmusa Tribe, sitting in Sinnamu Mirpal’s yurt, by the fire, like I’d done so many times. The Wise Woman’s voice sounded low and so confident:

“It is said that prophecies foretell the return of a reincarnated Nerevar, who shall drive the foreigners from the Ashlands and who shall cast down the false gods of the Temple, and restore the true worship of the Ancestors. It is a dream that would appeal to every Ashlander, but many of us think it is a silly ancient legend, and little more.”

I sat silent, since I actually knew of this, but I was sure that she was trying to tell me something more.

“However,” she continued, “It has now come to this; we are certain that Nerevar is Reborn, in the shape of Trey of High Rock. He is the one who will defeat Dagoth Ur and so lift the curse that lies upon us. He has brought the Ahemmusa here and thus got us a safe place, he has been named as the Nerevarine by all Ashlander Tribes, he has been called Hortator of Great House Hlaalu, as well as of the Great House Telvanni….”

I smiled faintly as I heard that; so the wizards really had named him Hortator!

“…But he had to pay a high price for that,” Sinnamu concluded.

Then suddenly I was aware that it was not Sinnamu who was sitting next to me, it was my guardian angel, Azura, in her ice-blue dress.

“So there is just one Great House left, the Redoran! And that’s where you come in!” That was Sinnamu talking again, and I started to get really confused.

“Serene! Go home now and proceed with your task. Fulfill the prophecy!”Azura gently touched my chin…and disappeared in a white mist.

I woke up in my chamber at Fort Buckmoth, drenched in sweat, not really knowing if it had been a dream or if it really happened. I looked out of the small window and saw Secunda and Masser, and then I gasped for breath, for Masser did not look as it should. The moon was almost covered in red, running down its surface, it looked just like blood…

Now as I stood in the archway of Fort Buckmoth, preparing myself for the walk home to Ald’ruhn, Masser was still visible in the sky…. and it was covered in red, red as blood!

I shrugged and started walking. I wanted to get to Ald’ruhn as soon as possible; I had not been home for so long and I really needed to see Athyn again, to hug and kiss him and just lie in his arms and forget all the gruesome things that lay ahead of me. But of course that would be unthinkable, I had to focus, otherwise there would be no home for me or for Athyn. This made me concentrate and also made my legs move faster. I ran all the way to town and appeared at the gates sweating heavily in my armor, but not at all exhausted. In fact I could have run twice as long without a problem.

I realized I really was rather strong and fit, which did wonders for my self-esteem. At that moment I really believed I could defeat anyone, even the Archmaster! Now that cocky feeling was soon to be removed…

As I passed the Fighter’s guild house I heard a voice behind me,

“Renie! So you’re home at last!” I spun around and saw the grinning face of Sethyas Velas, just coming out of the guild-house.

“I…I told you not to call me that!”

“Easy now, sweetie,” Sethyas held up his hands in a gesture of repentance. “Sorry dear, I’m just glad to have you back”

I sighed and smiled at him; I couldn’t get angry with him for calling me Renie; as a matter of fact, I was happy to see him as well. I went to him and he gave me a big warm hug. It felt good to be in the arms of someone I knew cared for me, so I hugged him back.

Damn it Renie, I see you as the sister I lost, please let me in

I looked at him; confused- he hadn’t spoken a word…

“Ok, I forgive you Sethyas, you never mentioned a sis…”

He put his hand over my mouth and held me tighter to his broad chest, to silence me.

“This is not the time, nor the place,” he muttered hoarsely. “Come on. Let’s go see Athyn; he’s been miserable while you’ve been away.”

I was almost scared to meet Athyn again; I knew he had missed me and I had missed him too, but…the last three months had been so intense, I hardly had had any time to really think about him and I felt a bit alienated from him.

Nobody in Sarethi Manor knew I was coming back that day, so the house was empty as Sethyas and I entered. That was perfectly fine with me, I then had the opportunity to take a bath and change clothes. Sethyas was still around as I came out of my chambers, wearing my favorite dress, Athyn’s old red robe.

I had been thinking about what Sethyas almost “said” to me earlier…the part about a lost sister, so I really wasn’t surprised when he asked me to sit down because there was something he wished to tell me, something about his sister…

“I made my living in The Imperial City, growing up in the streets, looking out for my younger sister, Setsuna. We were outcasts, orphans. Two Dunmer youths that had nothing since birth, and we stole bread when times were tough, often ending up in the Imperial City Prison.”

Sethyas sighed, looking at me with sad dark eyes, and I knew this was going to be a long story, so I moved closer to him, taking his hand in mine.

“When times were good we could sell ourselves as guides, or perform odd jobs for merchants around the city. Perhaps it was only the fact that the good times allowed for better living conditions for my sister that prevented me from falling too deep into my secret art.”

“I never told my sister the horrible things I had done. You see, I've always had a knack for the Bow and Short Blades, getting plenty of practice while hunting out in the forests for deer, so that we could have a decent meal.”

I sat silent, wondering why Seth decided to tell me all this, and at this time, but I didn’t ask, I merely listened, glad that he confided in me. But still I wondered…

“On more than one occasion I had come across a travelling Merchant with wares and gold, a Merchant that foolishly had no escort or bodyguards. I felt remorse for firing an arrow into their backs or slitting their throats as I snuck up from behind, but I felt worse for my sister, going hungry sitting around some campfire in the cold wilderness, or begging for a coin on the streets.”

“I would never tell her where I got the gold, and she would never ask. I couldn’t tell her that I was an Assassin, even if it was what I was good at.”

“And perhaps you’re wondering, if the Dark Brotherhood ever contacted someone like me? Yes, not just once, but on several occasions.”

I looked at the hand I was holding so tight, a strong hard merciless hand, that had put an end to so many lives, and I kissed it. I knew perfectly well how the Dark Brotherhood contacted people; they had contacted me as well, but I never surrendered to them.

“It was during one of these encounters that I grew unlucky, and was torn from Setsuna. On a trail not far from Cheydinhal I spied an Orcish Female in Leather Armor, saddlebags filled to the brim with Wolf Pelts on her horse. Realizing she was a Hunter and likely on the way back to the City to sell the pelts off, I decided to take her horse and loot for myself.”

“As I ran towards the kill to claim my spoils, an Imperial Legion Forester ambushed me. I considered running, as I often had,” Sethyas smirked. “But he would have had me before I got too far.”

“Resigning myself to a long stint in Prison, I knew I could still get word to Setsuna as to what had happened. But no, I would tell her a fabricated story, I would never tell her that I ever resorted to murder.”

Sethyas was silent. He looked straight into the air, tears forming in his eyes and he held my hand to his cheek. I was shaken, not by the fact that he had a past or that he was a member of the Dark Brotherhood. Those facts I already knew! No, what shook me was the fact that he actually told me all this, and that it apparently affected him deeply. I also now understood why he was so protective of Athyn, and of me. He was that kind of man; he always protected the ones he loved.

“I need a drink…right now!” Sethyas rose abruptly from the couch and went to the cupboard where the Brandy was stored. His shoulders were shaking. I followed and put my arm around his waist in comfort.

Your story is safe with me; you know that…

He turned to me, looking me straight in the eyes and nodded slowly.

“ I know Serene, I know”

A sudden commotion in the hallway interrupted our conversation and the room filled with people; Athyn, Varvur and Vendrela, Mistress Brara Morvayn and a very dusty Salyn Sarethi.

So I finally met Athyn again after more than three months. It wasn’t exactly in the most dignified way; I, dressed in Athyn’s old worn robe, my hair dishevelled but clean, holding hands with Sethyas Velas, who had just downed a mug of Athyn’s finest Cyrodiilic Brandy, his eyes more red than usual.

Athyn apparently did not see anything peculiar in this; he just took me in his arms, wiped my hair from my face and kissed me…

I was home!

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:30 PM