Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

103 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your projects, what are you working on in your free time?
monkeyemoness
post Nov 19 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #801

Mouth
Group Icon

@Decrepit+Khajiit - Thanks for the recs! I've mostly been relying on my motherboard's manual and Google searches for help on where to find everything and how to connect/disconnect things. tbh if I felt I could afford it, I'd go to a professional, but then I skimped on the shipping fee for my new part :v

Only five !ore days

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 20 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #802

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Nov 19 2017, 03:59 PM) *

@Decrepit+Khajiit - Thanks for the recs! I've mostly been relying on my motherboard's manual and Google searches for help on where to find everything and how to connect/disconnect things. tbh if I felt I could afford it, I'd go to a professional, but then I skimped on the shipping fee for my new part :v

Only five !ore days

Light at the end of the tunnel!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Nov 24 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #803

Mouth
Group Icon

lmao so the PSU is in and the computer boots fine but it turns out the GPU is also busted,
since it won't boot while it's plugged into the power (and with the new PSU, the fans go crazy and basically rip through the air while the GPU is only inserted) so now I'm basically broke but I got a new gpu on the way

And arrives on the 5th

Eh... I'm going to miss all the neat free things in ESO but at least I'll have a working PC again. (Also it's fortunate that Black Friday came along to save my wallet. No Pokemon Ultra Moon for me but welp)

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Nov 24 2017, 09:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 24 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #804

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Nov 24 2017, 02:39 PM) *

lmao so the PSU is in and the computer boots fine but it turns out the GPU is also busted,
since it won't boot while it's plugged into the power (and with the new PSU, the fans go crazy and basically rip through the air while the GPU is only inserted) so now I'm basically broke but I got a new gpu on the way

And arrives on the 5th

Eh... I'm going to miss all the neat free things in ESO but at least I'll have a working PC again. (Also it's fortunate that Black Friday came along to save my wallet. No Pokemon Ultra Moon for me but welp)

I can't recall how all this started. Did something happen to fry the PSU and GPU? After the new PSU was installed, were the correct power connectors attached to the GPU, if it needs any (some don't)? Which GPU did you order?

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Nov 24 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #805

Mouth
Group Icon

Two weeks ago Sunday my PC suddenly shut off on its own and wouldn't boot up, and it wouldn't turn on so long as the graphics card was hooked up to the power. Tbh I should have suspected that the GPU was also fried right there and then but I wasn't entirely sure. New power makes the PC boot now, so there's that. I got the card tested and the lady confirmed that it was busted. I'm just glad it wasn't anything else. I can easily swap that out now that I know how that butterfly lock works.

(Also I'm getting a GeForce GTX 1050 ti to replace my busted GeForce GTX 760)

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 28 2017, 02:52 AM
Post #806

Mouth
Group Icon

All of my side projects have been put on hold until this semester is over. Wrapping up my last paper from Thanksgiving break, and then the last two weeks are going to see at least two more (probably a third).

But after that, there should be plenty of time to buckle down, chill out a bit, and do things that don't have a set date to do them (or at least one outside my control). I'm hoping to have that blog launched by the New Year's Day.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Nov 28 2017, 02:56 AM
Post #807

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Nov 24 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Two weeks ago Sunday my PC suddenly shut off on its own and wouldn't boot up, and it wouldn't turn on so long as the graphics card was hooked up to the power. Tbh I should have suspected that the GPU was also fried right there and then but I wasn't entirely sure. New power makes the PC boot now, so there's that. I got the card tested and the lady confirmed that it was busted. I'm just glad it wasn't anything else. I can easily swap that out now that I know how that butterfly lock works.

Not a bad upgrade either. smile.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 28 2017, 04:49 PM
Post #808

Master
Group Icon

Went outside this morning to put an Xmas card in the mailbox and decided it was warm enough to get my exercise-walk out of the way, provided I wear sweats and toboggan, rather than wait until mid afternoon as planned. I don't think I've missed more than four or five walks total since I started back in... in late spring????? Amazing.

Besides walking and posting the holiday card, I ordered a pair of New Balance walking shoes off Amazon to replace the pair I use now, which are at the end of their useful life. I wanted to buy locally, but online research found no local store that carries the model I decided on. I still need to find an affordable replacement for my out-and-about shoes. No luck there yet. Funny thing about those Skechers...judged solely by their soles (pun intended), if displayed in a shoe store they could pass for brand new despite years of faithful service. There isn't an iota of visible wear on 'em. It's where soles attach to the upper portion of the shoe that's wearing out, including some crumbling cushioning in the right shoe.

Yesterday I posted holiday letters (composed the day before) to three of my old military buddies, made my weekly grocery run, and called and email my DC congressmen to once again inform them how they are to handle certain votes and issues. I knew beforehand that they aren't going to follow my advice, but had to give it a shot.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 28 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #809

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Nov 28 2017, 02:56 AM) *

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Nov 24 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Not a bad upgrade either. smile.gif

I'm quite happy with my 1060 card so I reckon the 1050 will very much do the job nicely as well smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Nov 28 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #810

Mouth
Group Icon

I think it serves my purposes rather well. The most demanding games I have are ESO and Skyrims Special Edition (I don't even play that). That said, I do sort of wish I was able to do more but wygd. I guess I was lucky enough to find a good deal this weekend. I was willing to go with another 760 but it was more expensive. :V

Anyways, the card should arrive later today so I'll get to see how it works then. I guess that concludes this let's call it adventure.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 2 2017, 04:00 PM
Post #811

Master
Group Icon

My project for the day thus far:

Called my three elected DC representatives and left a voice messages strongly condemning their recent actions, with instructions on how to, at least partially, make amends. As often as I as chastise them these days (which in my case never does an ounce of good), I begin to suspect that at some point I'll hear the sound of heavy treads on pavement, followed by the scrapings of a turning metal turret, followed by...well, never mind. Still, I'll not go down without a fight, insignificant and hopeless (in my case) as that fight is.

Signed several online petitions protesting certain political actions.

(Who would have thought I'd become something of an activist in my dotage? Not me.)

Placed last month's Electric Bill payment in the mailbox.

With any luck I'm done for the day except for meals, an afternoon exercise-walk, and goofing around in its many variants.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 2 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #812

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I think it's good that you make your voice heard, Decrepit. Even if they don't care, at the very least they should be bothered a bit.. wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 2 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #813

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 2 2017, 10:29 AM) *

I think it's good that you make your voice heard, Decrepit. Even if they don't care, at the very least they should be bothered a bit.. wink.gif

Lol, exactly

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 4 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #814

Councilor
Group Icon

Today's project (that interrupted trying out ESO) was to replace the headlight bulb on my car.

That meant taking off the front wheel to get at the wheel well liner. There's a panel in that which needs to be removed to access the bolts that hold on the light cover. Then you take off the light cover to get at the headlight itself. The bulb is a fiddly job to replace as you have to feel around the back of the reflector and unclip it before the bulb comes out. The wiring gets in the way of your fingers, even when disconnected from the bulb.

Then it's not easy persuading the new bulb into place. It has to be rotated to the right angle or it won't fit, and you're still groping around the reflector. Then the clip has to be put back, with more fiddling out of sight. Then the cover, access panel and wheel all have to be put back.

At least it's a cheap replacement bulb, and I already had one. Had to buy a pair when the other one burned out a year ago (after eleven years of use!) Which means this one lasted twelve. If the dealer had done it, it would have been a fortune in labor charges.

And it is a Lotus - which stands for Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious, I'm told.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 4 2017, 01:18 AM
Post #815

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 3 2017, 06:33 PM) *

Today's project (that interrupted trying out ESO) was to replace the headlight bulb on my car.

That meant taking off the front wheel to get at the wheel well liner. There's a panel in that which needs to be removed to access the bolts that hold on the light cover. Then you take off the light cover to get at the headlight itself. The bulb is a fiddly job to replace as you have to feel around the back of the reflector and unclip it before the bulb comes out. The wiring gets in the way of your fingers, even when disconnected from the bulb.

Then it's not easy persuading the new bulb into place. It has to be rotated to the right angle or it won't fit, and you're still groping around the reflector. Then the clip has to be put back, with more fiddling out of sight. Then the cover, access panel and wheel all have to be put back.

At least it's a cheap replacement bulb, and I already had one. Had to buy a pair when the other one burned out a year ago (after eleven years of use!) Which means this one lasted twelve. If the dealer had done it, it would have been a fortune in labor charges.

And it is a Lotus - which stands for Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious, I'm told.

Ha! That sounds familiar. I had to do that same procedure about a month ago. Mine is a Subaru instead of a Lotus. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by King Coin: Dec 4 2017, 01:19 AM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 4 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #816

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 3 2017, 06:33 PM) *

Whatever trouble it may be, it is still a Lotus! Awesome car!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 4 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #817

Councilor
Group Icon

The postscript to this gets even better. Putting the light cover back disturbed the wires, and the light's not working again. So I have to repeat the whole process... indifferent.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Dec 4 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #818

Master
Group Icon

I'm positively surprised with Suzuki when it comes to replacing bulbs, in all of my previous cars, which were of European brands, replacing bulbs was a nightmare. But in Suzuki it's so simple that I find it almost unbelievable. In general, I'm more satisfied with Suzuki than with previous cars, not only is its fuel consumption very low considering that it's a SUV with 4WD but its running costs are much lower and the handling is better. I think I'm going to stick with Japanese brands.

This post has been edited by Lopov: Dec 4 2017, 04:28 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 4 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #819

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Dec 4 2017, 10:27 AM) *

I'm positively surprised with Suzuki when it comes to replacing bulbs, in all of my previous cars, which were of European brands, replacing bulbs was a nightmare. But in Suzuki it's so simple that I find it almost unbelievable. In general, I'm more satisfied with Suzuki than with previous cars, not only is its fuel consumption very low considering that it's a SUV with 4WD but its running costs are much lower and the handling is better. I think I'm going to stick with Japanese brands.

Ooh, thank you for the information; I am going to pass this on to my son (he is needing to buy a car right now).

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 4 2017, 08:32 AM) *

The postscript to this gets even better. Putting the light cover back disturbed the wires, and the light's not working again. So I have to repeat the whole process... indifferent.gif

Urgh! That is irritating!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Dec 4 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #820

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 4 2017, 04:53 PM) *
QUOTE(Lopov @ Dec 4 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Ooh, thank you for the information; I am going to pass this on to my son (he is needing to buy a car right now).

If I'm not mistaken, Suzuki is no longer available in the USA, at least newer models, older ones can still be bought. My cousin who lived in the USA for one year, returned in 2016 to Slovenia, said that they no longer import new Suzuki models. Still, other brands like Toyota and Subaru are available AFAIK. If I wouldn't own a Suzuki, then I'd probably go with Toyota.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post

103 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:39 AM