3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mephala's Maiden: Black Rose Clan
Black Hand
post Feb 4 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Hey guys, this isnt a divergence from the main story I have, but rather, I have been trying out a new type of character on my X-Box, a custom class 'Geisha' after seeing the movie 'Memoirs of a Geisha' Recently, and I gotta tell ya, its a lot of fun. Something different to be sure. It inspired this. Enjoy. (I hope.)

“Who was that lady, Sera?” asked Sayuri, looking at Edryno Arethi, her current matron in House Hlaalu.

“No one, get back too your duties, Retainer.” Edrnyo replied, twirling the Black Rose in her hand, a deathly pale in her face, she had been delivered the death message and was in no mood to speak.

Sayuri, the young Bosmer girl had been adopted by House Hlaalu after her parents had been murdered by a Telvanni Mage whilst in Sadrith Mora, and one of the Merchants traveling in his own ship to trade, took pity on the little crying girl, dropping her off in Balmora, and told Nileno Dorvayn of her plight.

She remembered the tsking of Nileno, and the warmth of her palm as she rubbed her cheek affectionately. She was given clothes and a bed, and place to sleep, and she was put to work, alternately being trained in House Hlaalu’s favored skills, for three years she served mostly as a serving girls, performing menial tasks, and occasionally as a thief, or a decoy. She loved it, as it seemed to coincide naturally with her gods-given talents.

Bratheru Oran, Edryno’s lover took the rose from her hand, and threw it on the ground, smashing it underneath his leather boots. His expression showed that of rage and helplessness. Sayuri would not bring it up again for three weeks, but one day, when Edryno gave her a key to her house, and told her that she would be gone for several weeks, she finally explained, as she had never held anything back from her adopted daughter for long.

“Do you remember that Rose, Sayuri? The black one?” she asked, as Sayuri nodded her head, remembering the vivacious Altmer that had delivered it, dressed in exquisite clothing and wearing Telvanni Bug Musk.

“You’ve been chosen, and are being taken from me, under the pain of death, I cannot refuse. The Black Rose Clan is taking you, and you will serve them. I…I am leaving to speak to them, and perhaps negotiate an alternative. But seldom will they refute a selection.”

“Black Rose Clan? Matron, I don’t understand!” Sayuri said nearly on the brink of tears.

“You know of the Morag Tong? They worship the Great Daedra Mephala, the Dark Matron of Murder, Sex, and Secrets. They are a small faction within the Tong, dedicated to the second part of that. Whereas most assassins are dark, aloof, and grim in nature, a Black Rose, or a Dark Petal, also Thorns or Mephala’s Maidens, rely more on Personality and Agility. As every rose have five petals, so does the Clan. When one ‘wilts’ away as they call it, either killed, or grows to old too become pleasing to men, another must be chosen to take their place. You, because you are born under the Sign of ‘The Lover’ which gives you more agility, and the power to freeze people, will become the newest petal in the Black Rose.”

Sayuri’s eyes tried to no avail to hold back the tears of confusion and frustration. For the second time in her life, she was to lose her family. Edyrno ran her hand through the childs raven dark hair, and embraced her, attempting to comfort the shaking Bosmer.

“I know, I promise everything will be all right…”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lord_wanhoop
post Feb 4 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Retainer

Interesting. A touching first chapter. I'd tell you in a disrespectful and demanding tone to bring more story, here, now, but you're already one of the fastest updaters here so it may not be necessary. It also brings a bit more life to Edryno, whom I've always seen as a bit of a cold, ruthless businesswoman.

--------------------
Nobody crosses the Shadow Thieves and lives. *shluk*
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 4 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #3

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh yeah....Blackie, you´ve done it again! This time your charachter is a woman, and I have no doubts you´ll bring her to life as well as you usually do....

This one is most promising and as Milord said: it´s great to learn more of Edryno Arethi a fairly unknown charachter, I mean in the sense of being "alive"

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 4 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Looks like we'll be seeing a different technique from you with this piece, Black. You're doing third person, something I look forward in seeing how well you work with it, since with it you're more free to delve into other characters as well as the main ones.

This starting definitely has some strong emotions displayed and the philosophy of the Black Rose Clan seems rather interesting. I can't wait to hear more about their methods.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 4 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, fascinating. I don't know if the Black Rose is canon or not (I think non-canon.), but I like it. With the five petals, beautiful description.

As for my own thoughts on 1st/3th person, they both have their advantages. 1st is perfect for when you have only one main character but it gets much harder if you're running around in a party. Unless your main character is constantly reading minds, there's no way he should have a perfect image of the others.

3th is much better for party-based stories but likewise needs more effort to characterize a single character fully.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
canis216
post Feb 4 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

There's a reason why I like to mess around with perspective in the midst of my work...

(And now a few words [for the bosmer] from Bob Marley)

"Don't worry... about a thing... 'cuz every little thing, is gonna be alright!"

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 5 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Edryno Arethi returned two weeks later, the time passed both dreadfully quickly and painfully slow for Sayuri. The red-rimmed eyes spoke of the tears that she had shed while gone. Sayuri knew with a look that she had not been successful.

Rather then ask a question she already knew the answer too, Sayuri asked the one she didn’t.

“When, Matron?” the low and painful tone came out.

Edryno put her hand to her brow, the fatigue of the journey and the emotion now taking its final toll. “Soon. Sooner then I thought. She will return for you, and I can’t stop her. Listen to me Sayuri. You will be forced into a world that you cannot yet understand. I have done my best to protect your innocence. But that will be changed soon,...you’ll be asked to kill, to seduce, to lie…you will not be allowed to speak with me anymore, nothing from your past will be with you anymore. I will be as though I were dead.”

Something dark twinged inside of Sayuri. She had lied before. She was a Hlaalu after all, she knew how to haggle, how to speak well. These things were already instilled in her. She grew up firing a bow, and Edryno had taught her in all manners of short blades, her favorite being a Steel Tanto.

And now she was in a conflict, between this new life of some strange mystery being forced upon her, yet the morbid curiosity for it was undeniable. And her present life, spent in the care of Hlaalu, nothing was free, nor was accomplishment unrewarded.

For the next two nights a weird excitement and the torment kept her wide-eyed in bed. Bratheru Oran had come in the middle of the night and sat down on the edge of the bed, and placed a hand on her hip. Twice he had tried to nudge her awake, but she merely pretended to be asleep; he finally left a necklace on her nightstand. With a kiss on her forehead, he whispered something about: “It will take you where you are loved.”

She immediately stirred from underneath the covers, and examined the jewelry in the faint moonlight; it was a sapphire encrusted motif that glowed ever so slightly. She immediately put it on and let herself fall asleep finally.

The Altmer lady had not yet shown up for her the next day. And Edryno told Sayuri not to perform any more chores, to enjoy her last days with her. Deciding to wander about the coasts to the west of Vivec, Sayuri skipped stones across the water, and teased the Mudcrabs with Marshmerrow reeds, running slightly when they put up a slow chase. Her giggling was taken in by a tall figure standing on the upper ledge of the canton, the perfect stillness given by the Shadow was what prompted Sayuri to look up.

The dark-dressed Altmer woman came forward, undeniably beautiful, with eyes that seemed to look into Sayuri’s heart. But those eyes also looked dead, cold. Like an ember that had died out years ago, but glistened because the cold of winter had made them covered in ice. Sayuri’s expression went from that of curiosity, to horror, as she gasped.

She recognized her from that day she delivered the rose. The black rose. Fear gripped Sayuri’s heart, forcing it to beat faster as she suddenly ran south. Where or why was not important, only that she was anywhere but here.

The Altmer woman looked at her carefully, taking in each stride, admiring the speed with a cold calculation. A thin smile forced her lips to curl upwards.

“They always run away…”
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 5 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Looks like her normal life is about to change. And this Altmer lass seems rather creepy at the moment.

Great work in building the tension buddy!

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 5 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh aye, poor Sayuri....what will become of her? I perfectly understand that she ran away! I would have!

A beautiful quote:

Like an ember that had died out years ago, but glistened because the cold of winter had made them covered in ice.

wonderful Blackie!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 5 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Beautiful descriptions. And the last sentence: ,,They always run." So foreboding.

I can't really blame our soon-to-be petal. I mean, who wouldn't run? I know that I would run hard as well. Maybe it is a test of endurance and speed. Too slow and you're not worthy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 6 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

Sayuri made it to a small port city that she had recognized as Ebonheart. She had been here once or twice before, always on negotiations with the East Empire Company. Dusk was strangling the last vestiges of light in the sky, and she looked around wondering what to do next, as reason washed over her fear, she realized that there was little else that she could do.

She ran as silently as she could to the port, near the Imperial Dragon statue, and she looked around for an opportunity. She saw a Dunmer Shipmaster looking over some records with the Portmaster, and commenting about how he had to go to Sadrith Mora again. She crept as quickly as she could to the ship, and hid in the underdeck.

Sayuri heard a creaking of footsteps, and knew from the powerful thumps, that they were a mans. She soon heard much lighter footsteps, that were graceful, and much more lighter. A woman’s! It was her! She knew it.

“Good Evening, Sera.” Came the muffled but charming tone. Sayuri could tell from the response of the Dunmer, that he had a large smile on his face.

“And a good evening to you! What can I help you with Altmer?”

“Have you seen a little girl? More specifically, a dark haired Bosmer. She is about fifteen or seventeen, wearing a brown robe?”

There was a pause. “No…haven’t seen anyone even fitting that description. And that would stand out, nothing here but deckhands, and fighters guild. Sorry.”

“Its no problem. I thank you very much!” said the voice, and the graceful footsteps faded into the distance, and the usual meandering of the much rougher footsteps of the Shipmaster.

Sayuri pulled her robes around her, and fell asleep between to crates, the creaking of wood against the water, and the splash of the waves lulled her into a fitful, dreamless sleep.

When her eyes finally opened again, she was still in the ship. She felt both the incredible hunger of countless hours, and the excitement in knowing that she had escaped. It was a struggle to rise to her feet, and she became very lightheaded, in the mixture of the conflicting forces.

She crept outside, and carefully opened the deck trap door. Peeking through, she saw nothing, and carefully opened the door, and came up on deck. She was indeed in Sadrith Mora, and judging from the Sun it was eleven a.m. or so. She had slept the entire evening, and most of the morning.

When she looked at the Gateway Inn, the horrible memories of her parents being killed right in front of her by that Telvanni came flooding back, fire and shock engulfed their bodies, while she was she was spared, and given a look of utter arrogance from the mage. Tears welled up in her dark eyes, but she pushed the memory away. It was time to see where she would end up, now that she was on the run.

Entering the Inn, she was callously greeted by a Dunemr in blue robes, that called himself ‘Angarredhel’ and explained that if she wanted to walk abroad in Sadrith Mora, that she must purchase the hospitality papers for twenty-five gold.

Sayuri examined her gold bag, and counted the contents.

“I only have twelve gold pieces, Sera…” she replied meekly.

“Then you may not enter our town. This Inn is as far as you go.” He replied sternly, and dismissed her with a wave.

Sayuri’s eyes became desperate. She couldn’t have gotten this far to be stopped by something as trivial as money. You’re a Hlaalu! Now start acting like one! She scolded herself. Reminding herself to look for the opportunities that are always around, a small chest with a weak lock..a drunk slumped over in the fruits of his binge drinking,..all targets of opportunity.

With a dread chill, she felt a talon-like hand with seemingly supernatural strength grip her arm. With a look of shock on her face, she looked up into the towering form of the Altmer lady, the black rose, with a superficial look of cordiality on her face.

“Ah, there you are, Sayuri! The Shipmaster had said you went on in ahead of me. Angaredhel,..she’s with me, a friends daughter simply insisted that I take her with me the next time I came. Can you believe that she’s never seen Sadrith Mora?”

Angaredhel looked over from his desk, and his demeanor immediately did a one-eighty. “Ah, Errisa! You cruel lass! Depriving me of your presence with your seldom visitations! If I had known you were coming, I wouldn’t be wearing this old frock!”

Errisa’s charming demeanor laid on thick. “Nonsense, Dear! You look fine! But now that we will be staying here for a while in town, I’ll buy the papers for my charge.”

Angaredhel smiled at her. “Errisa! You know me better then that! Of course she will have her papers…free of charge!” he said cordially, looking down at Sayuri, and giving her a smile, and scrathing his pen over the long-winded speech that were the Hospitatlty Papers.

Sayuri was to frightened to say or do anything to the contrary of the subtle commands of Errisa. She was also hesitant to put a name to this dark shadow that had entered her life. But nonetheless, Erissa pulled her upstairs and sat her down at the bar, putting a finger over her ear, she put Sayuris hair back, and gave her a smile that she could actually feel the warmth from. With Angaredhel, it had been fake, an act, with her it was real.

“A horrible man that one, truth is I despise him! But, that’s our nature in the Black Rose. Deception. You’ll learn the art soon enough, dear…but that can wait. In the meantime, you must be starving! Stuck on that ship for the whole night and morning! Lets get you something to eat!”

Sayuri said nothing, but did manage to wolf down three layers of Hound Meat. And felt the apprehension slowly dissipate, as the beautiful Altmer watched her eat, from the corner of her eyes, she saw the exquisite clothing, and desired it. From her nose, she could smell the Telvanni Bug Musk that she wore, and she desired it. Who was this Errisa? And more importantly, how did she find her.

As if reading her mind, Errisa began to talk in low tone as she sipped from a goblet, some wine, in a very elegant fashion, as though she spent weeks learning how to hold the glass just so.

“I was following you from the Canton, of course. I even saw you stow away on that ship in Ebonheart, just to make certain you weren’t seen, and to give you a glimmer of false hope, I pretended to ask the Shipmaster if he had seen you. The rest you know. But you will find that it is very hard to deceive a spider, sweet Sayuri. Though I hope you learn to..”

Sayuri said nothing, but finally managed to look Errisa in her eyes. There was a quiet laughter in those dead eyes.

“Where are we going after this?”

“Nowhere, sweetheart. Sadrith Mora was where I was taking you to begin with. Why do you think I did not pull you off the ship as you slept? You fell into a trap that I never set. I saw the opportunity for you to come here quite willingly, and it would have been much harder to take you here by force, so I let you become your own worst enemy.” She said with the dignified tone of a Speechcraft Master.

Sayuri nearly kicked herself, realizing that this beautiful monster was nothing to be toyed with, yet at the same time, she could not help but feel an innate connection with her. Desiring what she had, wanting the power over men that she displayed.

Seeming to read her mind again, Errisa looked at her and gave a sweet smile. “In due time, my little Black Anther, in due time.”
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 6 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Crafty, very crafty. I've certainly been enjoying this new work of yours Black Hand, it has some unique qualities about it and yet it still has the noticable "Black Hand" style to it. Simply wonderful! You must continue!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 7 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

Sayri was taken to a mushroom Villa of sorts on the Island. Clearly a Telvanni, Errisa had the place furnished with the finest of luxuries and tapestries, the shelves were lined with books and alchemical equipment. On some walls, rare weaponry was prominently displayed, including a complete Daedric Akavir weapon set, all four weapons completed the series from the Dai-Katana to the Tanto. Sayuri’s hand reached out to touch one of them, while Errisa looked on with a matronly gaze.

“Sera, I have never seen anything so..exquisite! How have you managed to afford all this?” Sayuri exclaimed.

“Most of it was inherited from my former ‘Sister’. The Clan does not stay in one place for very long. Speaking of which, as I will soon begin your tutelage, we will now refer to one another as such, Sister…. I am now your family, Sayuri.”

Sayuri’s dark eyes became enraged. “Don’t you dare call me that! Don’t you ever think that I am anything like you! Maybe you have me for now. But Ill find a way out of here soon enough!”

Errisa simply smiled, and slowly walked towards the girl. Her towering form intimidating the little Bosmer, and Sayuri shrank in her shadow. With but a flick of her wrist, Errisa had Sayuri turned around, the cold glint steel against her throat.

Errisa whispered out the short threat. “If you do, then I’ll have no choice but to kill you, and everyone you love, sweetie. You don’t want that. And whether you believe me or not, neither do I. You see. My real sister was killed to teach me the consequences of betraying our secrets, and breaking our laws. I pray that you learn from my mistakes.”

With a gasp, Errisa released Sayuri, the Bosmer put her hand to her throat and looked up at Altmer. Pain was in those eyes. Real pain. With a flick of her fingers, the dagger disappeared, and Errisa made her way to the bar area, and poured out two drinks.

“I know you’re a tad young for wine. But you may as well get used to it early on. You will need to develop a tolerance for alcohol, as well as knowing how to drink.” She said handing the crystal goblet, to which Sayuri clasped between her hands, and took a whiff of the contents.

Errisa shook her head, with a slight laugh. “No, Dear. Like this…” she said, holding the goblet with one hand, the three lower fingers wrapped around the stem, and the bottom bulge of the container between her thumb and forefinger, Sayuri copied her movements almost exactly.

“Good. Not bad for a first try. Now, sip…little bits at a time, and for Mephala’s sake, don’t slurp!” she said demonstrating.

Sayuri’s curiosity prompted the first question that would begin her training. “Why does the Black Rose kill people, if there is a Morag Tong, what is the point of the Clan?”

Errisa sat down on a stool, and her green eyes began to swirl with some semblance of life, as she looked into faded memories of when she was first told the story.

“Long ago, The Morag Tong was composed of Chimer, the Velothi Dissidents who abandoned the Altmer civilization for Morrowind. During their exodus, there was little need for the Tong to have internal laws, or customs. And they largely acted as spies and assassins externally. That is, they focused more upon their enemies, then inside the clans.”

”In fact, the original members of the Morag Tong, which means ‘Foresters Guild’ were just that: Foresters. Hunters. Bows for hunting down prey, daggers for skinning. Mephala saw a completely new purpose that they could serve, and founded the Morag Tong as we know it today. In fact, the original Moraga worshipped Hermaeus-Mora, Mephala’s brother. It is said some even worshipped Hircine.”

“What is not commonly known, even within the Guild, and has connections to the schism between the Dark Brotherhood and the Morag Tong, was that Mephala intended for a Matron to watch over the guild always, the Night Mother, as you have undoubtedly heard of. This has changed, as the Male-dominated society of the Dunmer changed the practices of the Tong from a religious order, to a much more….business-like atmosphere.”

“The Black Rose makes certain that the Religious aspects of the order, that is, murdering in the name of Mephala, and having a strong feminine presence remains true. Our sphere, is Murder, Sex, and Secrets. Secret Assassination in the throes of passion is most pleasing to our Matron. Even the Morag Tong has need of our special talents once in a while. We are pleasant to men. We become their deepest fantasies, keeping them on the brink of madness and pleasure, and when the moment is true, we strike like hidden vipers that we are. We are Mephala’s female side of her dual nature.”

Sayuri could scarcely believe what she was hearing, and her face became deathly pale. “You want me to , to…become a murdering mother of mine?” she nearly cried out.

“No. We are not prostitutes, for we seldom sleep with men for money. We take lives in the name of justice; we are priestesses of a darker shade. Outsiders may look upon us with fear and disdain, and yet, they cannot look away. For we are, what in their souls, they yearn for most. We are free, free of emotion, free of love, free of fear.”

Sayuri dropped her glass in shock, the dark red hue of the liquid soaking into the rug beneath the barstool.

Errisa tsked. “That was one of my finer rugs, been in the clan for at least three generations…”
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Feb 7 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Haha, funny way to end this update Black. I enjoy dark humour tongue.gif

So now we find out exactly what the Black Roses do. And I have to say, it's quite ingenious and the logic for it works perfectly. Well done, sir, well done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 7 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

Oops, caught through your own escape. Man, that must make you feel stupid.

Anyway, I liked the conversation here. And a funny line at the end with the rug.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Apr 26 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

Horror soon gave way to fascination. Sayuri was entranced with this new lifestyle that had been thrust upon her. She was taught everything. The passage was harsh and cruel. She had to walk just so, speak just so. Failure was met strict physical punishment. That punishment would be anything from a whipping, to picking a lock upside down, in freezing cold water while stripped. She would run out of breath in Zafirbel Bay, and Errisa would hold her head under, until a blackness washed over her.

She would awaken to verbal chastising, always about how there is no room for failure. That there were no freebies, one mistake would result in her death. She would cry quietly in a corner until Errisa threw a book at her and told her to start over, balancing the book on her head and walking just so.

She learned how to play a lute, and sing. She read ancient tomes in daedric sigils. She learned where the best places to sink a dagger into flesh were. She learned how to throw a silver dart with pinpoint accuracy. She learned how to hide in plain sight, and how to hide in shadow. She learned how to speak to people. Above all, she learned. Within three years, Sayuri was a worthy apprentice, and as intelligent as an Imperial Scholar. And, most importantly she had bloomed into a beautiful woman. A black rose.

Errisa examined her protégé. She stood behind her, as Sayuri looked into the mirror. As a graduation present, Errisa had bought her a new dress. Not just any, one from the Clothier Elegnan, in Tel Mora. Another Bosmer, she understood the subtleties in the Wood Elf form like no other. The elegant silks hugged every curve, and the neckline was revealing, yet tasteful.

“And I have one more thing for you, sister.” Errisa said, handing her a small blade.

Sayuri took the gift and unsheathed it. The dagger was perhaps no more than eight inches in length. The handle was a pure black ebony, fluted with a hand carved swirl from the bolster to the pommel. The pommel itself was wrapped with a sapphire- blue band at its base, and topped off with a silver knob. The bolster was a similar silver, and the guard was a large, severe, oval with a similar sapphire blue decoration, but with a diagonal silver inlaid in sections, making the sapphire blue a series of squares.

The blade was an equally beautiful design, double-edged; with the base of the blade meeting the rest with a couple of spike-like protrusions, then arcing back to meet the rest of the blade, that extended into a slender inch, then arced out again into the fluted design, only to meet again at a sinisterly sharp tip.

“The metal is an alloy of adamantium and silver. It is unenchanted of course, as we wouldn’t want a wizard to sense where you are, even in shadow. But still able to ignore any resistance to normal weapons.”

“It’s beautiful, sister...” Sayuri said, trailing off.

“Yes, the blade and you are alike in many ways. Beautiful, yet deadly. Most effective when used in the right way at the right time. And it too, is a virgin blade.”

Sayuri looked at the mirror, into Errisa’s eyes. The dead green emeralds were laughing and dancing, crowing about the secret that they knew.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that while you have studied and practiced; you still have yet to experience. To experience what it truly means to be a dark petal.”

“You mean I have to kill someone? Or sleep with someone?”

“Dear Sister, for you it will be one and the same. There have been plans for you set forth from years back. Have you never questioned why we are in Sadrith Mora?”

Sayuri’s brows knitted. It was on the tip of her tongue. It was a lantern that had always been there, but had now suddenly been lit. Sadrith Mora was the place that she had come back too, even after that terrible day, so many years ago.

The pieces slowly started to fit together.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Apr 26 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

I had to reread the first part before I understood what the lady meant with 'why you returned to Sadrith Mora'.

Now I'm not going to argue over which method of assassination is most effective (Morag Tong, or Black Rose), but I am going to say you need a certain state of mind in order to be willing to do some things here.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Apr 26 2008, 09:34 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

"Yes, now you see. Your rite of passage shall be your vengeance. You will please the Mother, with your hand covered in blood, and your..." Errisa's words faded out as Sayuri's mind recalled that terrible day.

Dombadil was born to a poor clan in Valenwood. So he left home to seek his fortune. He found it in smuggling., sailing to ports of call all over Tamriel.

Aranwen was born to a middle class family in Cyrodiil. She left home to find excitement, and found it in the thieves’ guild in Gilane, Hammerfell.

And so, when the smuggler and the thief met to discuss business in a tavern in Gilane, they also caught each other’s eye. Which resulted in a union and a daughter, that they named Sayuri.

For as long as she could remember, Sayuri sailed the seas, and lived in Inns with her mother and father. She didn't know the hows or the whys, but for a time she was happy. Then one day, on the ship, while her mother and father thought she was asleep had a whispered argument.

Her mother said that she had a lucrative contract, very lucrative. But it meant going to Morrowind. Too far, too dangerous, her father argued. And this was a life for their child, her mother fought back.

A long silence.

A whispered thank you from her mother, and the sound of a kiss.

Brithos Andrethi was a Spellwright in the House of Telvanni, he was also a 'squatter' in the molag amur region. He was in possession of the sole copy of a book of akaviri poetry, reputedly left by one of the snake-folk from the invasion. He had spent much of his life translating it and even developed a taste for the alien prose.

So when he awoke one morning, and his treasure was gone, his anger was understandable. The retainers he had that weren't burned to death were sent to find his beloved book. One retainer was a nightblade, and a member of the thieves’ guild too. She was able to find out who the thieves were, and even knew that they were still at the gateway inn waiting for charter to leave.

Aranwen, Dombadil, and Sayuri left the inn to the docks, her mother kissed her father on the cheek, and they were happy. Aranwen knew that the commission on the item would be more than enough to settle down, and really start their family.

Brithos stood on the docks too, waiting for the thief family. His anger was unimaginable.

Sayuri blacks out this part, but she knew every second of it. The dark scary man reaches out to the leather satchel. Grabs the book, yells at her mother, spit flying from his mouth. Her father reaches out pushing him back, anger on his words and mouth.

The firestorm eats him in seconds. All that is left is a black charred skeleton. Her mother grabs her. Her mother screams, and screams. The dark scary man walks over, his ash-grey hand reaches out. Her mother throws Sayuri from her. The firestorm erupts once more.

Sayuri can’t move, the dark scary man comes to her, she says nothing. He sees her dark eyes and hair, the fear in them. He switches anger to pity, and mutters something under his breath. He disappears in a blue purplish light.

A nice dark man, came over to her, he saw the whole thing. She won’t speak, she won’t move. The bug-heads called the guards won’t help the nice dark man, they don’t want anything to do with her. They remind the nice dark man, that he is in Telvanni territory, and that the Telvanni is in his rights.

The nice dark man takes her to Balmora. She tells her name to the nice dark lady. She is Sayuri.

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Apr 30 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

How long had it been since he had last been here? Five years, maybe seven? It did not matter, time was on his side. Spellwright Andrethi walked in through the gate door into Sadrith Mora, and set about what he always did when he visited, looking through new tomes, picking up some new alchemical ingredients, and conversing with the retainers, mouths, and mages on old news, new news, theories and spells.

Also was his custom, was to drink a small bottle of flin to himself at Fara’s hole in the wall, before returning to Mababael, his stronghold. However, today held a strange deviance from his normal experiences in Sadrith Mora. Rather than the usual low grumbling of patrons steeped in greef, a little bosmer lass, no more than twenty years, began playing on her lute.

The notes were unlike any style he had heard, like raindrops on a guarskin drum. Echoing and preternatural, he immediately felt his mind pay complete attention to her lithe fingers moving up and down the strings.

Then like a summer wind on a spring day, her voice began lilting a tune out, weak and shy at first, she called out stronger as the song grew into its true resonance. She sang of distant mountains that called her spirit to climb them upwards to Aetherius itself. She sang of the loved ones that would miss her, but that the journey was needed. She sang of trials and tribulations, she sang of pain, she sang of triumph.

When her set had finished, the bowl at the foot of the chair was to the brim with septims. All the patrons clapped her heartily; all the while one set of red eyes watched her intently. What would have surprised her had she known him at all, was that he was smiling.

Sayuri drank the complimentary brandy, speaking with Fara about her fabricated story about being a travelling minstrel from Valenwood. Fara told her how she was so happy that she wandered into her tavern, as business was up. The locals were abuzz about the singer that had set up in town, and they wanted to know how long she would be in town for.

“Azalea of Blackleaf clan.” Fara told the wizard, as soon as the minstrel made her way to her room. She had seen a few retainers from Neloth in her place, but not one who seemed to be a Mage-Lord. Much less one who seemed to be smitten with her latest attraction.

“I see, and she is staying here for a time? I believe my visit to Sadrith Mora can be extended a few days as well.” Brithos responded. “And tell me, how often does Azalea play?”

“We negotiated for three sets a day. Once after midday, another after work’s end, and the last after moonrise. She just finished her work’s end set, so her next one will be in about four hours.”

“Splendid.” The spellwright smiled.
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Apr 30 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #20

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Splendid indeed. I only saw this for the first time the other day, I'm not sure how I missed it exactly when you first started writing it, and it's fascinating. I've just devoured the story so far, and Sayuri is becoming a superb lead character, so full of life and conflict. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this progresses, it's a terrific read smile.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:37 AM