Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arena Adventurings and Daggerfall Dealings, A Characters Update thread
Decrepit
post Dec 2 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #441

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 1 2017, 12:26 PM) *

Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was solely Win10, although worries about compatibility issues was a major reason that held me back from getting Win10 on a computer for as long as I did.

That's a weird issue to have. It seems awfully convenient that it was after that update. An issue I am having after the last update is that I have to log in with my PIN twice upon computer start-up, which is moderately annoying.

As it turns out, the Taskbar issue DOES appear to have been caused the Win10 Fall Creators Update, or rather disabling Cortana as I did with the Update in place. Online research shows others with this same issue. I reluctantly restored Cortana and haven't had taskbar problems since....knock on wood.

As for my Daggerfall avatar, he's still roaming that one dungeon in search of his assigned target, quest timer ticking down by the second. I resorted to cycling through the various possible quest locales to verity that the mob in question is indeed in the dungeon. It is. I then reloaded the game so that my avatar must still to reach his goal the old fashion way. I swear he's combed ever inch of that dungeon, several times over. Still, there's got to be some trick he's missed.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 4 2017, 01:58 AM
Post #442

Master
Group Icon

My Daggerfall avatar at long last found his target. The key turned out to be a clickable wall torch that opened what had been a solid wall. He was sweating bulletin by then, in fear of exceeding the quest time limit. That didn't happen. Made pretty good money off the crawl, finding several high value Daedric pieces during his search.

After reporting quest completion to the Fighters Guild he sold loot, banked, traveled to the Mages Guild, identified several mages items, trained, and accepted a new assignment, which saw him journey to another city (town, actually) and rid the guild of rogue mage. (The mage tried to convert him the "dark side," but my avatar would have none of it.) He's since returned to Daggerfall City and reported quest completion, which is where I left him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 4 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #443

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I have to say this pretty much sounds like your Cyrodiilic avatar, Decrepit. I hope that one is still making patrols and gathers taxes? smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 11 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #444

Master
Group Icon

Not much to report other than that I noticed my avatar's magic items were wearing out and not repairing themselves during "rests." This had me stumped for some time (days), until I remembered that magic item repair must be enabled via code in the Z.cfg file. I had neglected to do so when I updated to the most recent release of DaggerfallSetup.exe a while back. Thankfully, no item had deteriorated to the breaking point, though several were close, including his Daedric Katana enchanted with Paralyze On Strike and Feather Weight (or whatever its called). At any rate, he was able to restore everything to new condition after multiple full rests in the Fighters guild. This also let him get in some needed spell practice.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 16 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #445

Master
Group Icon

My DF avatar is currently on assignment for the Mages Guild, seeking a scroll of some importance (or so the quest giver avers) in the depths of a huge labyrinthian dungeon. He's been at it quite some time, without success. I suspect he's got a good bit of crawling ahead of him, then again maybe not.

Of more import, he recently braved a Kingdom castle dungeon to retrieve an item of true worth, though not to himself. He carries it with him now, but must eventually hand it over to its rightful possessor.

He achieved the rank of Archmage in the Mages Guild, its highest honorific. Of the four organizations he belongs to, he's now one advancement away (Knights of the Dragon) from holding top honors in all of them.

ADDENDUM: My avatar eventually found the scroll. It wasn't far from the dungeon entrance/exit!, housed in a dungeon section reachable only by elevator. My avatar found that elevator early on. Thing is, there were TWO elevators in that area. He elected to take the other elevator first, then forgot about what proved to be the important elevator until stumbling on it again much later.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 17 2017, 01:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 25 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #446

Master
Group Icon

My DF avatar has done several quests for the Mages Guild and Knights of the Dragon since I last reported his activities. It's all busywork to pass time while he decides which of several personages to deliver a certain recently acquired item of significant importance. There is of course the person he, by allegiance and friendship, "should" offer it to, no questions asked. But another contender has presented strong arguments why the item should rightfully go to him. Yet a third contender has put forth a reasonably valid argument for his claim to the item. Remaining candidates can all be dismissed, especially the one who offers threats instead of reward.

My avatar's dilemma is that he is becoming more and more convinced that his "friend and ally" is NOT the best choice. But dare he risk betraying his friend's trust on such an important matter? And what will become of him if he does?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 27 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #447

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 24 2017, 09:23 PM) *

My avatar's dilemma is that he is becoming more and more convinced that his "friend and ally" is NOT the best choice. But dare he risk betraying his friend's trust on such an important matter? And what will become of him if he does?

Time to roll those 8-sided dice.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 28 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #448

Master
Group Icon

Yikes!!!!!!!! I nearly screwed over my DF avatar big time. He finally, after lengthy self debate and with much doubt and hesitation, settled on who to deliver a certain item of great significance to. He traveled to that entity's locale, only to get no response from the designated recipient. We both knew that couldn't be right. He looked through his inventory. The item wasn't there!

At that point I decided to load the save prior to his item delivery run. It wasn't in his inventory then either!

I loaded the save just prior to that one. Nope. Not there.

I proceeded to work my way backwards through his existent saves. With only one save left to go...still no luck. Loaded that final save...there it was!!!!!!!!! Boy was I sweating bulletins by then. Had I overwritten one more save, that "good" save would have been lost forever, with no way for my avatar to finish out one of the game's main storylines. (He of course could keep doing guild and other quests indefinitely.)

Sort of a bummer that some of his recent history has to be erased to salvage the important storyline. (Not that he'll ever know.) But what can ya do?

I can see where I very likely make my mistake. During an attack relating to the item, a message pops up requiring a YES or NO answer. That first time, in the heat of battle, I believe I answered based solely on the first part of the question. But the sentence goes on, adding a modifier. That modifier makes the question rather confusing. To my mind's eye, the answer can be interpreted as "both" YES and NO. It obviously must be one or the other, so I opted for what I believe to be the opposite of my earlier answer. That seems to have worked...so far. The item remains in his inventory.

For the moment he's marking time waiting for all claimants to make their case before making delivery.

ADDENDUM:
I looked up the question online. It reads: "Hand over xxx xxxxxxx, or we'll slaughter you where you stand. Well? Are you going to give it to us, or make us take it from you?" I can interpret "...are you going to give it to us,..." as requiring a NO answer, as my avatar had no intention of doing so. Yet in that case "...or make us take it from you?" should be answered YES, since that's what they'd have to do to separate my avatar from the item. Or so I see it. Does anyone else find this confusing?

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 28 2017, 11:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 29 2017, 01:59 AM
Post #449

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 28 2017, 04:44 PM) *

ADDENDUM:
I looked up the question online. It reads: "Hand over xxx xxxxxxx, or we'll slaughter you where you stand. Well? Are you going to give it to us, or make us take it from you?" I can interpret "...are you going to give it to us,..." as requiring a NO answer, as my avatar had no intention of doing so. Yet in that case "...or make us take it from you?" should be answered YES, since that's what they'd have to do to separate my avatar from the item. Or so I see it. Does anyone else find this confusing?

Wait, so you answered "No" and they took it from you? Are you sure that it was that and not one of the many bugs and glitches permeating Daggerfall? Because if the "Yes" response would have kept that item, then you are correct in that that is a very confusing question. It doesn't make sense to play out that way from that response, which is why I am curious if a glitch played a role.

May I ask what this very important item was, or receive a hint about it?

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 29 2017, 02:37 AM
Post #450

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 28 2017, 06:59 PM) *

ADDENDUM:

Wait, so you answered "No" and they took it from you? Are you sure that it was that and not one of the many bugs and glitches permeating Daggerfall? Because if the "Yes" response would have kept that item, then you are correct in that that is a very confusing question. It doesn't make sense to play out that way from that response, which is why I am curious if a glitch played a role.

The item in question is:

As to my misfortune being due to a game bug, it might well be. But...timing favors the statement. My one remaining "good" save was make not long before the confrontation that triggered the statement. Funny thing is, I no longer 100% recall how I answered that first time, though I apparently still remembered when I reverted to the good save. Either that or I just lucked out and made the correct assumption the second time. I'm fairly sure that that second time I said to myself, "I must have picked XXX before so will try XXX now" or words to that effect.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 29 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #451

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 28 2017, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 28 2017, 06:59 PM) *

ADDENDUM:

The item in question is:

As to my misfortune being due to a game bug, it might well be. But...timing favors the statement. My one remaining "good" save was make not long before the confrontation that triggered the statement. Funny thing is, I no longer 100% recall how I answered that first time, though I apparently still remembered when I reverted to the good save. Either that or I just lucked out and made the correct assumption the second time. I'm fairly sure that that second time I said to myself, "I must have picked XXX before so will try XXX now" or words to that effect.

I suspected that that was the item, although I never had that scenario happen to me. But I assume that that is because I didn't have a negative reputation with any of the powerful people interested in said item, so they weren't going to threaten me unless I made a significant misstep.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 1 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #452

Councilor
Group Icon

I brought my mage character, Igodah Go^Pe, into Arena's Summerset Isles. bluewizardsmile.gif Because after gaming with her in Morrowind, I learned her backstory includes something going awry (perhaps) in an earlier year, which is what Arena is all about. So I want to see what this could possibly be.

But then... I forgot how tough this game's tutorial dungeon is! Especially since she's a pure mage type, and low-leveled at that. She was practicing casting fireball in her cell. Thing is though, every time she casts this spell, that drains almost all her magic. blink.gif She can rest safely though, at least I thought she could.

Eventually a couple rats found their way into her cell. No problem. She simply fried the first rat with a spell. But then with hardly any magicka left, this meant she was limited to using fists to attack the second rat.

But i couldn't remember how to use melee in this game! mad.gif I totally forgot... pressing buttons doesn't do anything; instead, one must swing the actual weapon (for me this is the right joystick / most other PC gamers will be moving their mouse). Anyway, long story short, I got frustrated and so we'll have to wait before more Igodah adventures get revealed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 1 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #453

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Fighting in Arena can be quite a challenge. I kinda like it now though, it's an interesting mechanic.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 5 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #454

Councilor
Group Icon

That very first dungeon is just too freeking hard, Crow. For a pure mage, anyway. I can remember my Spellsword was able to spend a lot of time in this dungeon. But for my mage who can't carry most weapons, and has very limited use with magic, that first dungeon is impossible.

So I'm actually gonna cheat, for once. I found a map so she can just get the heck out of there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 5 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #455

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I may remember it wrong but I don't think I had too much problems even in the first dungeon. Had to be careful sure, and the rats were indeed dangerous, but I sort of missed it when I emerged from it. Had a Spellsword too btw.

INSANE levels of immersion in there!

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 5 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #456

Councilor
Group Icon

If it was just rats or even goblins she could just take her time, but every time she rests (to heal Magicka) a warrior guy shows up. mad.gif

Yeah, immmmmmmersion is up the wazoo, that is true. Even with those shoddy graphix, the tutorial dungeon is downright scary sometimes.

But the way magic works in this game, eventually she'll become untouchable. Shield spells basically stop the player from taking any damage for awhile, if I recall. Invisibility also causes enemies to pretty much disable their AI. They literally halt pursuit the moment we go invisible. It's not like in later games, in which they keep searching around for a few moments.

This post has been edited by Renee: Apr 5 2019, 08:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 6 2019, 08:28 AM
Post #457

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Apr 5 2019, 09:51 PM) *

If it was just rats or even goblins she could just take her time, but every time she rests (to heal Magicka) a warrior guy shows up. mad.gif

IIRC, there shouldn't be any enemies when you rest up on one of those raised platforms. I may be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Yeah, immmmmmmersion is up the wazoo, that is true. Even with those shoddy graphix, the tutorial dungeon is downright scary sometimes.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

But the way magic works in this game, eventually she'll become untouchable. Shield spells basically stop the player from taking any damage for awhile, if I recall.

Yes, magic is very handy in the higher levels, especially if you planned your self-made spells right. I use reflect damage and magic which not only prohibits my character from taking damage, it also kills whatever attacks him. I never have to use weapons! tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 6 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #458

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh yes, I think you're right! Yes, the raised platforms! Forgot all about those! Thaks! I mean thanks!

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Apr 17 2019, 01:05 AM
Post #459

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Apr 5 2019, 03:51 PM) *

If it makes you feel better, even my warrior had it rough. The Imperial Dungeons are no joke in Arena. I must have died at least 25 times in them on my playthrough.

But I agree with both you and Mirocu on immersion. I also think immersion in dungeons was done much better in Arena/Daggerfall than Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, both through sound design and aesthetics. I wish we could have some foreboding areas again in the series where you can get legitimately tense. Hopefully that is something we will get whenever TESVI arrives.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 6 2019, 03:28 AM) *

Yes, magic is very handy in the higher levels, especially if you planned your self-made spells right. I use reflect damage and magic which not only prohibits my character from taking damage, it also kills whatever attacks him. I never have to use weapons! tongue.gif

As a pure warrior, I could only use magic through enchanted weapons/armor/accessories. I'll have to make a magic-focused character if I ever go to replay Arena. I usually hear fun things about it when you start getting empowered.

QUOTE(Renee @ Apr 6 2019, 09:36 AM) *

Oh yes, I think you're right! Yes, the raised platforms! Forgot all about those! Thaks! I mean thanks!

Unfortunately, I could not find a clip with sound, but "raised platforms" makes me think of this: https://imgur.com/gallery/G40XdXj

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 17 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #460

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Apr 17 2019, 02:05 AM) *

As a pure warrior, I could only use magic through enchanted weapons/armor/accessories. I'll have to make a magic-focused character if I ever go to replay Arena. I usually hear fun things about it when you start getting empowered.

That's when you enter Easystreet biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:50 PM