Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Daggers, and how to enchant them
ghastley
post Aug 15 2017, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

For Morrowind in particular:

Lucrezia has been collecting daggers that are already enchanted with "on strike" stuff, as they're light to carry, but need swapping frequently when they run out of charge. So now we're looking at DIY enchanting.

There seems to be a lower limit on the duration of an "on strike" effect of one second, and since a dagger will hit multiple times per second (even after factoring in a few misses) the replacement of one strike's damage with the next is going to waste a lot of the charge. I assume that means I want to maximise the average damage for a given charge, whether that's achieved with a small range (e.g. 5-6) or a larger one (1-10), as the actual value gets re-chosen each time.

Or should she just enchant them all with "on use" things like restore attribute, and forget the damage enhancements completely? Her Speed is increasing quite rapidly, and the "rate of fire" seems to go up with it, so damage may be a diminishing returns thing anyway.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 15 2017, 05:59 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 15 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 15 2017, 11:58 AM) *

For Morrowind in particular:

Lucrezia has been collecting daggers that are already enchanted with "on strike" stuff, as they're light to carry, but need swapping frequently when they run out of charge. So now we're looking at DIY enchanting.

There seems to be a lower limit on the duration of an "on strike" effect of one second, and since a dagger will hit multiple times per second (even after factoring in a few misses) the replacement of one strike's damage with the next is going to waste a lot of the charge. I assume that means I want to maximise the average damage for a given charge, whether that's achieved with a small range (e.g. 5-6) or a larger one (1-10), as the actual value gets re-chosen each time.

Or should she just enchant them all with "on use" things like restore attribute, and forget the damage enhancements completely? Her Speed is increasing quite rapidly, and the "rate of fire" seems to go up with it, so damage may be a diminishing returns thing anyway.

You could do "on use" damage enchants right? That way you could do a heftier damage over time enchant for a little "leg up" in combat. Honestly, Khajiit never played much with daggers. If his character used Short Blades, it was usually a short sword or wakazashi.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 15 2017, 06:41 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 15 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

The thing with an "on use" damage enchant on a weapon is that you have to cast it, which means swapping from weapon to magic, cast and swap back. It's just like any other spell used that way. So "on use" is best for buffs, healing etc. that are cast before/after battle, or possibly for ranged spells before the enemy gets too close.

The "on strike" ones you don't have to think about, and you get the weapon damage and the spell damage delivered at the same time, without interruption. Lucrezia has been using collected daggers and swapping after each fight. They've usually emptied part-way through, and that's getting earlier as her opponents get stronger.

She doesn't worry about wasted charge, as she didn't invest anything in the first place. DIY is a different matter, as the soul gem costs gold or effort to collect, and the enchanting costs more gold, or a lot of effort building up the skill to reliable levels. Of course, there also comes a point where they can reflect spells, and she'll want unenchanted weapons.

I started her as a Morrowind clone of a Skyrim character, and in that game you have a potential 15x multiplier for perked backstabs with a dagger. Morrowind lets you sneak attack with any melee weapon, and doesn't have any dagger bias. The lack of an instant damage enchantment penalises weapons faster than one strike per second, so it's almost the opposite.

Edit: It's actually a maximum of 30x multiplier in Skyrim, as there are a pair of gauntlets that will double the damage on top of the perk. I think Skyrim Lucrezia had those, and two Blades of Woe

The Morrowind one just visited the Dunmer Stronghold of Berandas, as there's a guaranteed Deadric Dagger to be picked up. So the first Dremora she fought there dropped one as well. tongue.gif Still the other Daedric and Ebony items she came out with made it well worth the trip. She's sold most to the Mudcrab Merchant, and will be investing in a lot of training soon, some of which means tracking down the Master trainers.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 16 2017, 08:35 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:12 AM