71 Pages V « < 57 58 59 60 61 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
Decrepit
post Jan 22 2021, 03:37 PM
Post #1161

Master
Group Icon

At 2105 yesterday evening, 21 Jan 2021, I concluded a fourth reading of Paul O. Williams The Ends of the Circle, book two of his Pelbar Cycle. A fine series entry. This one focuses on two new main protagonists, a husband/wife team, separated early on due to family strife. The book centers on their separate physical journeys until, at the end, they reunite. It's more complicated than that, of course.

I suppose I ought to mention that this is a science-fiction series, rather than fantasy. It takes place in the US, or rather what was the US until nuclear catastrophe over a thousand years before the series begins destroyed our technologically advanced society and reduced population to isolated small clumps of people, who, when the books begin, live a pre-industrial lifestyle. Yeah, it's been done before, and since. It's done quite well here. It's a series I recommend, especially if you can find it used for pocket change.

I need to set Peldar aside and begin whittling down my initial-read TBR list. Will it happen? We shall see.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jan 22 2021, 03:39 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 30 2021, 04:17 PM
Post #1162

Master
Group Icon

At 0417 this morning, 30 Jan 2021, I concluded a third read of Paul O. Williams The Dome in the Forest, book three of his Pelbar Cycle. This entry sees new antagonists in the form of survivors of earth's 'time of fire' who have been shut away in a controlled environment, retaining much advanced technology/knowledge. When that sheltered domicile at last begins to crumble they rejoin the outside world, a not altogether seamless merging. (These isolated people are of course descendants of those original survivors, not original survivors with extended lifespans.)

(Had Mr. Williams included me among his antagonists, the book might be titled The Dumb in the Forest.)

As with each series entry, I now debate continuing on or tackling a large initial-read TBR stack.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jan 30 2021, 04:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 8 2021, 10:13 PM
Post #1163

Master
Group Icon

At 2155 yesterday evening, 07 Nov 2021, I concluded a fourth read of Paul O. Williams The Fall of the Shell, book four of his Pelbar Cycle. This one focus mainly on the separate adventures of two youngish brothers, and the disintegration of the Pelbar city which is their home. For a while I felt this the weakest thus far, a bit to same-old same-old. By its end it had redeemed itself.

As always this series, I now debate continuing on or taking a break for something different.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Feb 8 2021, 10:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 15 2021, 12:12 AM
Post #1164

Master
Group Icon

At 1148 this morning I finished a fourth read of Paul O. Williams' An Ambush of Shadows, book five of his Pelbar Cycle. Having more time to devote to reading due to periodic power outages that kept me off the computer, I'm now some pages into book six, The Song of the Axe.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 17 2021, 09:54 PM
Post #1165

Master
Group Icon

At 1259 this afternoon, 17 Feb 2021, I concluded a fourth read of Paul O. Williams' The Song of the Axe, book six of The Pelbar Cycle. I'm already decently into the seventh and final book, The Sword of Forbearance.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Feb 18 2021, 04:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 20 2021, 08:20 PM
Post #1166

Master
Group Icon

At 1300 today, 20 Feb 2021, I concluded a fourth read of the seventh and final book in Paul O. Williams' Pelbar Cycle, The Sword of Forbearance. Having last read the series during 2005, I recalled little of each book prior to this reading. With this last entry, I recalled absolutely nothing. I knew who the chief antagonists would be, but that can be figured out without having previously read book seven. Wait. While typing this it dawns on me that I did indeed remember one thing about the book: during its epilogue a character featured in an earlier volume, but absent this volume, reappears, and the gist of what then transpires.

It's a fine series and an easy recommendation. I'm glad to have given it another read. I hope to do so again, should I live long enough, at my age not a given.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 23 2021, 08:03 PM
Post #1167

Master
Group Icon

A change of pace for me. At 1242 this afternoon, 23 Feb 2021, I concluded an initial read of Gil Culkin's The Mississippi Wrestling Territory, The Untold Story. It's one of two "pro-wrestling" books I bought my brother as Christmas gifts this past holiday season. He read them immediately, then loaned them to me. I have a passing interest in the territorial / kayfabe wrestling era, having attended local matches with my parents during my youth, and watching my share of kayfabe wrestling on TV. The modern product holds no interest for me.

As to the book, it's a good read if you are interested in the subject, as I am, not being familiar with the Mississippi territory. As literature, it leaves much to be desired, as the author himself states. Entirely self-written and published.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 25 2021, 10:51 PM
Post #1168

Master
Group Icon

At 1524 this afternoon, 25 Feb 2021, I concluded an initial read of Living the Dream, Memphis Wrestling, The Randy Hales Story. This is the second of two books I gave my brother this past Christmas, lent me after he finished them. My own history with Memphis area wrestling goes back a long way, having attended live 'cards' with my parents as a lad during the late 1950s. (Not in Memphis itself, but a non Tennessee town that sometimes hosted wrestling cards.) As to the book, it was an okay read.

Not sure what I'll tackle next. I've a book on order from Amazon I definitely want to read ASAP. But it's just now receiving its first paperback printing. I ordered it only this morning. It'll not get it until Mar 3 or 4.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 28 2021, 01:09 AM
Post #1169

Master
Group Icon

At 1733 this afternoon, not long after supper, I concluded and initial read of Bernard Cornwell's The Pale Horseman, book two of his Saxon series, historical fiction set in England during the time of King Alfred "The Great" and the Danish invasion. These books inspired The Last Kingdom TV series, which I have not seen. I'll start in on book three, Lords of the North, by bedtime.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 1 2021, 01:58 AM
Post #1170

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 27 2021, 06:09 PM) *

At 1733 this afternoon, not long after supper, I concluded and initial read of Bernard Cornwell's The Pale Horseman, book two of his Saxon series, historical fiction set in England during the time of King Alfred "The Great" and the Danish invasion. These books inspired The Last Kingdom TV series, which I have not seen. I'll start in on book three, Lords of the North, by bedtime.

I’ve read those up through The Burning Land, and it’s been a long while since I read that. I’ve been meaning to catch up but just don’t have the attention span for reading currently. I can also recommend his Warlord series. It’s a unique take on the Arthurian Legend.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 1 2021, 04:59 PM
Post #1171

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Feb 28 2021, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 27 2021, 06:09 PM) *

I’ve read those up through The Burning Land, and it’s been a long while since I read that. I’ve been meaning to catch up but just don’t have the attention span for reading currently. I can also recommend his Warlord series. It’s a unique take on the Arthurian Legend.

The Warlord series was my introduction to Cornwell. It is indeed a unique take on the Arthurian mythos. I rather like it. For a historically feasible retelling of Arthur I prefer Jack Whyte's very different Camulod series. But that takes nothing away from what Cornwell accomplishes with Warlord. Oddly or not, I DNF'd my most recent re-read attempt of Warlord. Can't recall why.

My only previous experience with Cornwell's Saxon Tales series is book one, The Last Kingdom, read years ago. Not sure why I never thought to continue the series until now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 1 2021, 07:39 PM
Post #1172

Master
Group Icon

Working my way through a second re-read of Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire, about the Spartans at Thermopylae. A fellow Chorrolite introduced me to Pressfield quite a few years ago, when I confessed my enjoyment of ancient military history. Over the past spring I re read his Last of the Amazons. What's next? Probably either The Virtues of War or The Afghan Campaign.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 11 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #1173

Master
Group Icon

At 1152 this morning I concluded an initial read of Katharine Kerr's Sword of Fire, a Novel of Deverry. A decent read, in line with the series' more mediocre entries. Not sure if I'll return to Lords of the North or settle for something not yet considered.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 15 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #1174

Master
Group Icon

At 1343 this afternoon, 15 Mar 2021, I concluded an initial read of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales: Lords of the North. An excellent series entry, and a better book than the Kerr that preceded it. (I like the Kerr well enough, but don't consider it top-tear.) I suppose I'll soon order the next few series entries off Amazon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 4 2021, 06:53 PM
Post #1175

Master
Group Icon

At 1230 today, 4 Apr 2021, I concluded an initial read of Andrzej Sapkowski's The Tower of Fools, book one of his Hussite Trilogy. It was a slow read for me. Not sure why. I like it well enough. In fact, it falls within a sub-genre I'm particularly fond of, a cross between historical fiction and fantasy with 'naturalistic' magical elements. Somewhat along the lines of what Guy Gavriel Kay produces, though with different emphasis. Added allure, for me, comes from Tower being set in the same general location as Kingdom Come Deliverance, book and game being only a few decades apart. I'll definitely buy book two when it premieres later this year.

I'm not quite sure what I'll dig into next. Likely a return to Cornwell's Saga Tales series.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Apr 4 2021, 06:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 9 2021, 03:21 PM
Post #1176

Master
Group Icon

At 0429 this morning, 9 Apr 2021, I concluded an initial read of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales: Sword Song. I later read the included promo excerpt from Cornwell's Agincourt, which I finished at 0856. I found Sword Song compelling reading, a faster read than Sapkowski's Tower of Fools. I will begin the next Saxon Tales volume, The Burning Land, later today. It being the last unread Cornwell book in my possession, I need to order the next few Saxon Tales off Amazon, along with the stand-alone (?) Agincourt.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Apr 9 2021, 03:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 13 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #1177

Master
Group Icon

At 2247 yesterday evening, 12 April 2021, I concluded an initial read of Bernard Cromwell's Saxon Tales: The Burning Land. Another fine series entry. I found its immediately predecessor more consistently engrossing. This entry, for me, sags a bit during a portion of its first half, until King Alfred's daughter reenters the picture. From that point on, it's totally absorbing. I won't receive my next batch of Cornwell novels until Friday. As a stopgap, I have tentatively decided on a reread of Parke Godwin's take on the Robin Hood legends, Sherwood, last read April/May 1995.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 24 2021, 02:34 PM
Post #1178

Master
Group Icon

At 0813 this morning, 24 Apr 2021, I concluded an initial read of yet another Bernard Cornwell novel, the standalone Agincourt. I enjoyed it. I'll now either return to his Saxon Tales series or resume Parke Godwin's take on the Robin Hood legend; Sherwood.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 8 2021, 11:23 PM
Post #1179

Master
Group Icon

At 1650, while chewing my last bite of apple at the tail end of supper, I concluded an initial read of Richard H. Harwell's The Confederate Reader. This 1957 book was given to me by my parents as a Christmas present back in 1989. I only now got around to reading it. I was a big US Civil War buff early on, but by the time I received this had moved on to other things Thus the delay.

It's about what you'd expect it to be, a collection of writings by southern and southern sympathetic eyewitnesses providing first or secondhand accounts of those times. I found it a bland read for the most part, being familiar with the gist of what is presented from my 'buff' days. The section titled "A Plea for the Reliable Gentleman" threw me for a loop at first. I totally misconstrued the title's meaning, causing what followed to make no sense. I had to read the article's first two pages three times before I caught on. Once I did, it became and remains my favorite part of the book.

I've not yet decided what to take up next.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: May 9 2021, 12:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 24 2021, 12:56 PM
Post #1180

Master
Group Icon

Being in a reading slump, I've not touched bases here for some while. As for now, I'm in the midst of a third read of Brian Jacques' Mossflower. It's a slow read for me. Too cutesy. The characters are all small animals, who to all intents and purposes act like miniature humans. The overall tone is humorous. Not my sort of thing, but it passes time. It has a bit of non-sentimental value in that I completed its initial read Sep 1990 while flying over the Pacific aboard Northwest Airline flight NW12, on my return from a two-year military stay in Japan.

--------------------
+Quote Post

71 Pages V « < 57 58 59 60 61 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:11 PM