Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 5, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Grits
post Aug 12 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Outstanding throughout, I don’t know where to begin. How wonderful that Buffy is reassigned to Kvatch, with a promotion. More responsibility for the same pay? tongue.gif Or does she get a discount on her dues now? I’m sure she would have gone anyway, but it’s so much better with her guild’s blessing and support. Two battlemages for Savlian, huzzah! biggrin.gif And Sigrid is the Guildmagister there, I couldn’t be more pleased.

It was great to hear some of Savlian’s background. Interesting that he chose to be a Legion Forrester first. I think everything we learned is good, it would stink to find out he’s a city boy who's allergic to trees or something.

I was quite unsure where Raminus was going with this.

But instead of paying attention, there was a buzz buzz buzz part in the middle of his point. How funny!

To Boderi first, then on to Kvatch!!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Aug 12 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah, proven wrong once again! embarrased.gif It seems that the esteemed Raminus Polus (he really needs to change his name!) has been busy since Buffy made her initial request. Turns out that Boderi was absolutely correct in her assessment of the man. I am left to wonder, with the Legion dealing with matters of a provincial nature, and with the attacks of the necromancers confined to isolated skirmishes; wouldn’t it be prudent of the Guild to deploy their vast resources in dealing with the more immediate threat from Oblivion? I can imagine how such an argument must have been received by the Council of Mages, especially given this:
“There are those who suggest that the permanent loss of Kvatch is an acceptable price to appease a Daedric Prince;”

There wouldn’t happen to be a fellow named Chamberlain among them, would there?

I enjoyed the background that you have given to Savlian. I especially liked that, after suffering his second set of wounds that were severe enough to send him back for convalescence in the Imperial City, he didn't sit on his laurels at the more 'peaceful' posting in Kvatch. No, our Savlian did enough there that the Count (presumably) was comfortable promoting him to Captain of the Guard! No wonder Buffy carries such an over-sized torch!

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Aug 13 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #23

Knower
Group Icon

I am posting again, friend Acadian.

Although I had seen this plotline emerging for some time, still it gives me great pleasure to see it emerge in full bloom...

AND NOW TO BOOK TWO!!! KVATCH AND ROMANCE! RESCUE AND RIPPEROO!!! KISSES AND KOMBAT!!

W...OOO....OOH HOOOO!!!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Aug 13 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

I kept my mouth shut
Hey! Buffy’s learning a little diplomacy tongue.gif

Who’s the young Argonian with destruction talent? And the weapon charger? Can’t wait to meet them through Buffy.

Buffy got promoted! Now does that actually mean anything or is it just a title like it is in the game? Oh! Does she get an apartment now instead of bedding down in the general quarters?

Echoing H.E.R. : Was Wellspring Cave only a few weeks ago?? Feels like a lifetime!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 13 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

Destri already quoted my fave places - the wheels are really beginning to turn now, and Buffy is showing a marked maturity and determination as she is heading toward her destiny! AWESOME WRITE !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
MyCat
post Aug 15 2011, 02:54 AM
Post #26

Evoker

Buffy has quite an army now.

Nit: Forrester should probably be Forester.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Aug 19 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

Man, it's sad to see this get closer and closer to an end...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 20 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #28

Paladin
Group Icon

During Episode 125, Buffy learned from Raminus Polus that her request for aid to Kvatch had not sat idle. Despite other challenges to the guild, Buffy learned that arcane assistance included two battlemages, a recent graduate of the weapon recharging program and reassignment of Buffy to Kvatch. She also learned that Sigrid was now in charge of the guild branch there and had been able to recruit at least one new associate. Finally, Raminus informed Buffy that she had just been promoted to Journeyman, and directed her to report to Boderi Farano for further briefing.

Rider- Yes, believe it or not, Wellspring was only a couple weeks ago in Buffy’s time. I agree that it seems forevvver ago! I’m glad you enjoyed the touch of background on Savlian. Thank you!

SubRosa- Thanks for noting that Buffy was actually clever enough to couch her desires to Raminus in ‘what is good for the guild’ terms. I’m so glad that came through. Buffy will ask Boderi which battlemages she assigned to Kvatch in this next episode, but your instincts are spot on as ever!

Grits- Thanks for noting Buffy’s wandering attention while Raminus was talking to her. I so appreciate your kind words! happy.gif

Destri- Old business: I appreciate that a couple comments ago you let me know the link for Zerina’s Morrowind tribute had been removed. I inserted another one in there - just another tribute using Call to Magic and less than two minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OWPLYGXvI...feature=related

Given the challenges to the guild, I was quite proud that Raminus came through pretty well for Buffy. Yes, Boderi is stunningly perceptive it seems. Thanks for enjoying the touch of background on Savlian. I've always felt that when it comes to a noble and selfless hero, he is the gritty real deal.

Foxy- Thank you for your well wishes as Buffy heads for kisses and kombat!

KC- Thank you! We’ll learn a little more about the other members of Sigrid’s guild. Hee! Yes, maybe Buffy will get an apartment when she next visits the University! Readers: We are so humbled that dear KC crafted a special mod called ‘Buffy’s Apartment’ that she accesses from upstairs in the Mystic Archives – it is simply beautiful.

mALX- Thank you so much for your wonderful encouragement! Yes, lots of pieces are coming together (and a few falling onto the cobblestones). tongue.gif

MyCat- I’ll bet they’re gonna need more tents at the encampment by the time Buffy gets there! Thanks for the nit so I could fix it.

Zalphon- Thank you. Kvatch is a significant part of Buffy’s destiny.

126 Graduate Work

As the magicka settled over me, I disappeared and took a step back. In my stead materialized the bones of a skeleton that crouched, scanning for a target.

Boderi Farano lightly but rapidly swatted the undead's steel shield with the flat of her short sword several times. In return, the skeleton raised its axe to retaliate.

I surrendered my invisibility and, with a spell, sent the summon fleeing for a corner of the practice room. As I reached to unshoulder Slayer, Boderi stopped me with a raised glowing hand. The painless dispel effect she discharged into me caused my skeleton to evaporate.

"Your spells that combine a summon and invisibility are very useful," she said. Her tone brought back memories of how hard I worked to earn her praise when I was a student. "It can allow you to escape while your foe is distracted, or give you some precious moments to poison an arrow or even determine your next move. But enough for now. I've had you casting spells for almost an hour." She smiled. "Your skill continues to grow, Journeyman."

I grinned at her use of my new rank. "I practice almost every night before bed, just like you taught me."

The Dunmer's elegant brow furrowed in concern. "After our long talk this morning to catch up on your adventures, I'm troubled that you still have no long range magical attack of any real power."

I frowned. "Despite chiding and encouragement from Delphine Jend of my chapter - I mean my former chapter - my ability with the elements really only qualifies me to work for an innkeeper. I mean, I can warm tea and bathwater, light candles and chill bottles of beer. I can kill a mud crab at distance by magic, but that's about it. Slayer is my long range attack."

"Yes," said Boderi. "I know you rely on your bow, but I was quite concerned to hear that a wraith was able to dislodge it from your hand aboard that shipwreck. It seems your challenge with destruction magic continues to be primarily with the elements. You have truly mastered a pair of other effects from the school: drain speed and weakness to poison."

"You know I've always had trouble with destruction," I pouted, "and have focused my efforts on those two effects - again, like you told me to. They complement Slayer beautifully. As difficult as that school of magic is for me, I fear if I focus on fire, ice and lightning, it will be at the expense of other things. Maintaining all these magical abilities takes lots of time, and Slayer is a demanding mistress as well."

"What about damage health, Buffy?" There is a relationship between restoring health and taking it away. Even though damaging health is a destruction effect, I wonder if your considerable skill in restoration can help here?"

"You forget, my mentor, that my real skill with restoration is the laying on of hands. Yes, I can restore, absorb or even destroy health with equal ability, but not without the physical connection of touch." I shook my head. "Without Slayer, I must convince distant foes to fight each other, or summon a helper who can cast more effective elemental spells than I. Although close range terrifies me, I can deal magical damage much more effectively there. If I am out of arrows, Slayer is knocked from my hand or when I am fighting under water, my touch spell that combines paralyze and absorb health is very helpful. Of course, that assumes I can stay on my feet or at least remain upright if under water."

"Have you considered the long range special healing power offered by the Ritual birthsign stone?" she asked. “Perhaps that could coax some distance out of your absorb or damage health spells?”

"I have," I replied, "but I won't give up my dancing cobra provided by the Serpent stone. It has saved my life too many times. It’s a fine ranged attack actually, but I can only use it once a day.”

"Then, you must learn to summon more powerful helpers. What about learning to call forth a clannfear? They are almost as fast as an arrow."

"No!" I shuddered. "They scare the pee out of me, Boderi. Only by fighting them in Peryite's Pits was I able to learn to control my terror of being eaten by clannfears. Even though I'm going to Kvatch to kill them, they still sometimes give me nightmares. Besides, my skill with conjuration is not enough to summon powerful helpers for very long."

Boderi looked at me pensively. "I submit that if a clannfear inspires terror in you, it can have the same effect on your foes. That particular Daedra is everything that you are not: strong, heavily armored, fearless and attacks instinctively in a flash without having to think or formulate a plan. Just keep it in mind for the future. In the meantime, I know how we can improve your skill with conjuration." She pointed to my leg. "Give me your hunting knife and sheath."

Not questioning the one who had trained me as a mystic archer, I undid my thigh straps and wrapped them around my sheathed hunting blade. I then presented the tool to Boderi, who placed it in a nearby chest.

"Summon a small blade," she ordered.

I thought about the spell for a moment, then lifted a glowing fist. I opened my hand briefly to release the magic, then closed my fingers around the delicate handle of an elven dagger that appeared.

Boderi lifted an eyebrow. "I see you did not purchase Edgar Vautrine's cheap bound dagger spell."

"Oh no," I replied. "Alberic Litte sold me this spell in Chorrol when I was there long ago for my University recommendation. He suggested that an elf should summon elven weaponry."

After a chuckle, Boderi said, "Use that when you need to cut your arrows free or other chores requiring a knife. I want you to craft a longer spell so it will last for whatever task you require. Over time, your conjuration skill will improve effortlessly." She smiled. "And unlike a permanent knife, you don't have to clean it when you're done."

My brief spell expired and the elegant dagger evaporated into a puff of yellowish vapor. "I will do as you say, Boderi. In fact I have quite a list of spells to craft before I leave for Kvatch. Some are new, but many are just more powerful versions of ones I already use."

"Good. I also want you to see Borissean today. He has been working with a whole suite of utility bound item spells. Simple things like towels, cups, torches and repair hammers. Get him to teach you some of those spells; using them will reduce what you must carry in your pack while further improving your conjuration skill." After I obediently nodded, she continued, "Now, have you made any progress at casting from other than a standing position?"

"Yes, I can now cast a spell if I am crouched, but not sitting, lying down or even kneeling."

"I know very few mages who can cast a spell from a chair or bed, but over time, you should be able to cast while kneeling," she said. "When you practice your spells, try it from one knee first and experiment with differing foot positions. If you're badly hurt it is much easier to get to your knees than your feet."

"You're right, Boderi. I almost couldn't get to my feet when that Khajiit archer's arrow knocked me down at Fort Grief."

"Exactly," said the Dunmer. "Now, let's go work on those new spells you were talking about."

Side by side, we left the practice rooms.

"So," I chirped as we walked toward the Praxographical Center, "is my friend Cassius Vinipter one of the battlemages you sent to Kvatch? Or maybe Fithragaer?"

"No," replied Boderi. "Cassius is needed here at the University and Fithragaer is with one of our necromancer hunting teams. I selected Arielle Jurard and Roliand Hanus for this assignment."

"I worked with Arielle and Roliand during my Anvil recommendation. It'll be nice to see them again," I said. "Do you know anything about Sigrid's new associate?"

"Not much, Buffy. Only that he is an Argonian named Dreelius and, according to Sigrid's report, has some skill with destruction magic."

After a chuckle, I said, "Given my own deficiencies in that area, perhaps he will help round out our branch."

Upon entering the Praxographical Center, we selected a spellmaking altar. "Now," said Boderi, "what's on that list of spells you wish to create?"

"My first one is a preparatory spell that I envision chasing with a broadhead arrow," I replied. "By combining drain speed and disintegrate armor, I hope it will briefly immobilize a foe, preserve my stealth and allow penetration of heavy plate if I run out of armor-piercing arrows."

With a running commentary from my mentor, I crafted several of the more complex spells on my list. As I got to the simpler ones, I was able to concentrate less on the altar and talk more to the Dunmer. "What can you tell me about this recharging graduate that Raminus assigned to Kvatch?"

"Raccan is a superb addition to Sigrid's branch," began Boderi. "He is older than most students we see, for he was trained in Hammerfell as a master of the blade before joining the guild. He carries with him the distrust of casting spells that quite a few of his race do, so the weapon recharging program was a good fit for him. As you know, the calling of recharger precludes any spellcasting. He became a skilled alchemist while here though, as many with his specialty do."

"He sounds a lot more hands on than my friend Ita Rienus who recharges weapons in Bravil," I said, pausing with my hand on the altar's controls to look at Boderi.

"Indeed," she replied. "He can fight with an enchanted sword at close quarters, a staff at range, and recharge both in combat. He is also no stranger to heavy armor. All that, combined with his ability to make combat potions and poisons, render him quite the 'fighting recharger'. Raminus chose wisely, for Raccan is no parchment prince."

"He left for Kvatch with quite a bit of enchanted weaponry," I remarked. "That's what Raminus told me anyway."

Boderi nodded. "Several powerful shock staves. One for him, another to replace Sigrid's staff which she left inside the city, and some spares. Raccan selected shock because it tends to be quite effective against Daedra. He was also loaded up with a heavily feathered bundle of numerous enchanted blades for differing purposes." After a moment, Boderi added, "I know you’ve a busy day still ahead of you, but there were some items that Delmar couldn't finish crafting for Kvatch before Raccan left. I'd like you to stop by the Chironasium and pick up a satchel of rings that have been enchanted with fire shield."

"Oh, I'll do that," I replied. "Those rings sound like a great idea."

"When are you leaving?" she asked.

"Tomorrow morning," I said, a lump beginning to form in my throat.

Boderi's smile was bittersweet. "I'm proud of you my little butterfly. You still have the spirit of a dragon. I wish I could. . . well, I'm needed here."

"I know, my friend. Raminus told me. It may be awhile before I can return and I will miss you terribly. I'm also going to miss my guild mates in Bravil. I know however, that Sigrid will be a fine guildmagister and am encouraged by what you tell me of those in my new branch." Swallowing hard, I turned my attention back to the altar and said, "Like my new night eye spell, I'll make the light effect on this one last much longer than I could ever need. The powerful dispel-on-self spell I just made should be able to plunge me right back into darkness at a moment's notice. You were right, Boderi, I can make utility spells that last much longer now. I no longer need to carry torches, a hunting knife, or even rings for illumination or working around water."

The Dunmer's hands found their way to her hips. Ruby eyes sparkled with moisture. "Delmar has told me about your pack. The elimination of those items doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy more shoes and clothes."

This post has been edited by Acadian: Aug 27 2011, 03:10 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 20 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

"Delmar has told me about your pack. The elimination of those items doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy more shoes and clothes."
laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif Who can ever forget that pack!

Sounds like the Kvatch chapter of the Mages Guild is well on its way to restoring its former glory. Of course, with Sigrid as its new head (chest? wink.gif ), how can it not? She is a terrific woman in so many ways, it's wonderful to see her get the recognition she so richly deserves.

I definitely will have to consider brushing up my new character's conjuration skillz . . .

And Boderi has every right to be so proud of her little butterfly with the heart of a dragon!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 20 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

This was a very Buffy chapter, sad and sweet - and funny!! I got a huge kick out of imagining Delmar ogling Buffy's pack (packed to overflowingly full of absolutely EVERYTHING, lol !! Awesome Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 20 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

As difficult as that school of magic is for me, I fear if I focus on fire, ice and lightning, it will be at the expense of other things. Maintaining all these magical abilities takes lots of time, and Slayer is a demanding mistress as well.

I like that folk must choose a focus and work at it, not just order an assortment of spells off a menu. Here we are reminded of the dedication that allows Buffy to make some things look easy. When see the perfect shot, we know the years of practice that came before it. Buffy has earned her skills.

"Then, you must learn to summon more powerful helpers. What about learning to call forth a clannfear? They are almost as fast as an arrow."

Woo hoo! biggrin.gif And then Boderi teaches Buffy how to work toward that goal. I found this whole exchange very satisfying. The discussions of useful bound items and weapons recharging provided great insight into magic in Buffy’s world. I’m guessing that the bound towel is not a daedric spirit? ohmy.gif

I’m so excited for Sigrid’s new guild members. They sound like a group of folks who will be up for the challenges that await them.

"Delmar has told me about your pack. The elimination of those items doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy more shoes and clothes."

Indeed, the need for new shoes and clothes is quite independent of and often exceeds the space available for them. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 20 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

But isn't shopping a skill that requires plenty of practice, too?

Maybe not one that's useful in the Deadlands, though. Perhaps she will do better to spend her time on other skills. Certainly being able to conjure a Clannfear, as it will help her feel more in comtrol when she can match one with another of her own.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 20 2011, 07:48 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Aug 20 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

The Dunmer's hands found their way to her hips. Ruby eyes sparkled with moisture. "Delmar has told me about your pack. The elimination of those items doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy more shoes and clothes.
rollinglaugh.gif
Gotta have priorities!

Aravi has greatly benefited from the Ritual Stone. Like Buffy she won’t trade its power out for anything else.
This chapter was nice. Buffy got to review her strengths and weaknesses and Boderi’s got Buffy some new spells to practice. Buffy has some neat spells of her own. I’m really happy Buffy will be summoning more of her items now. The discussion about the clannfear was great especially Buffy’s comments laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 20 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

A nice start showing us Buffy honing her tried and true tactics. In fact this entire episode is packed with little tidbits showing us how things work in the Buffy universe. Bound repair hammers! Where have you been?

my ability with the elements really only qualifies me to work for an innkeeper
This was not only humorous, but a good example of how even with all of her tricks, Buffy is not a uber-powerful combat goddess. Her observation that if she focuses on other things, it will be to the detriment of what she already knows. Unlike Buckaroo Banzai real people just do not have the time to be physicists, neurosurgeons, race car driver, and rock stars all at the same time.

What about learning to call forth a clannfear?
Dum da dum dum! Maybe Buffy could start with something smaller, like a familyyfright? or a coupleetrepidation?

He suggested that an elf should summon elven weaponry
As indeed he should have! yay for Alberic! If it were not for the fact that all the bound armor and weapons in the game were daedric, I would be willing to use them. Because of that I have been modding the game to replace them with other, exotic gear.

for Raccan is no parchment prince.
biggrin.gif Nor an ivory tower wizard! wink.gif

So Buffy is going to pick up Delmar's sack? ohmy.gif laugh.gif Seriously, it is nice to see the Mages Guild making a real effort here on the behalf of Kvatch, not just by sending people to help, but also providing some very useful magic items that all can use.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 20 2011, 10:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 26 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #35

Paladin
Group Icon

Episode 126 found Boderi Farano and Buffy catching up on the bowgirl’s mystical progress as they practiced with, talked about and created spells. Buffy also learned a little more about some of the guild mates she could expect to encounter at Sigrid’s growing chapter in Kvatch.

Rider- Thank you so much for remembering Buffy’s pack contents spread all over the floor of Delmar’s Chironasium when she was trying to find that mages staff! I’m so glad that you like Sigrid. I like her a lot; she can’t help it that her physical presence overpowers Buffy. I figure she has surely earned her guildmagistership.

mALX- Thank you! Words like ‘very Buffy, sad, sweet, funny’ are music to those big ears! We enjoyed trying to add a little more depth to her relationship with magic here.

Grits- Thank you for noting how hard Buffy has to practice to blend bow and magic - and the limitations it imposes. It seems so darn easy for those in-game battlemages to master it all, but Buffy and Jerric really have to work digently to blend magic with their weapon of choice! Thank you for your wonderful encouragement!

ghastley- Hee! Buffy is fairly good at shopping. Of course, being a clothes horse and an illusionist helps. tongue.gif Clannfears have played a big role in Buffy’s fears, but even when she gains the conjuration skill, she won’t be ready to embrace them for quite some time. Since you follow her chattering on the Oblivion side of the other forum however, you know that someday she will.

KC- Thank you! I think the Ritual Stone is perfect for Aravi – just the thing with all the scrapes she gets herself into! Yes, it seems Buffy just transitioned away from things like torches, hunting knives and rings of water walking in favor of spells for more utility purposes. Boderi has just given her a little nudge toward the ‘mystic’ side of mystic archery.

SubRosa- Thanks for noting some of Buffy’s limitations that range from strength and endurance permanently stuck at 30 to her struggles with the elemental damage side of destruction magic. I really like the concept of being able to summon some ‘mundane’ items like a handkerchief for example. I thought long and hard about whether to transition Buffy from her hunting knife to the in-game bound dagger or do a little pretending and use an elven dagger; Buffy’s vote carried the day. laugh.gif Oh, here it is, as Buffy prepares to cut an arrow from her victim: Screenshot

127 Divine Encounters

Dame Buffie,

I hope this letter finds my knighty little pal doing good.

Agronak turned out to be a real good fighter. When we got down to it with the wooden sparring blades, it was quite the clash. Buff, for the first time in my life, I've found a fellow who is more than a match for me. By the time he won, we were so hot for each other that we left a trail of armor and barely made it up the steps into the lodge! I guess you probably have to be an orc to understand. He's real good with his sword all right!

Anyways, a couple days later when we made it back out into daylight, I had him tag along with me to Rockmilk Cave. There, he collected some of them black bandit bows which I talked him into presenting to Count Leyawiin. I then asked the Count to make Agronak a knight like you and me and guess what? He did! It's a shame the shy Countess wasn't there for the doubling ceremony. I'm sure she would have enjoyed it, but I hear she's visiting her mother in Koral.

You should hear the Count brag on you that one of his knights is gonna save Kavotch and make Layowin real famous.

Since we got the Fighters Guild involved with our bounty gig for black bows, things are slowing down as far as bandits go. In fact, the Count even gave me and Sir Agronak some time off! My big green knight is gonna to take me to The Empireal City to show me where he used to work. He told me to tell you not to worry though. He's not gonna fight there no more, now that he's a knight like us.

Your pal,

Sir Mazoga

I smiled all the way through dear Mazoga's letter, deeply relieved that my meddling regarding Agronak gro-Malog had, so far, not proven disastrous. Glad now that I had told Antoine at the Bravil stable that I was headed to the Arcane University, I credited him with helping my sister of the black horse get Mazoga's letter to me.

I figured I would be gone from The Imperial City before the pair of orcish knights arrived. That hadn't stopped me from taking quill to parchment and crafting a response to my friend's letter, which was now tucked inside my blouse.

"Change your mind?" asked Owyn the Blademaster, clearly surprised to see me. "That recent article in the Courier says you're a knight and tournament ranked archer now. Want to reconsider fighting here?"

"No, Owyn," I said, "although I'm honored that you would still have me after I not only quit but talked your Grand Champion into leaving as well.”

"Hey, there's plenty more young bucks ready to jump on each others' swords for a moment of glory," the Redguard said. "We're generating quite a bit of excitement, hype and, yeah, a fair amount of blood over the search for a new Grand Champion."

"Well, I wish you and your bucks well," I replied with a slight wince. "Owyn, I've received word that Agronak will be visiting the Arena soon. He'll have a beautiful Orismer woman named Sir Mazoga with him." I presented my letter. "Would you be so kind as to give this to them?"

The Blademaster frowned. "Do I look like your errand runner now?"

I put on a pout and looked up at the Redguard. Then I did my best impression of Luciana Galena batting her eyelashes while I continued to hold out the letter.

Owyn rolled his eyes then snatched the letter. "Oh for Akatosh's sake! All right, if I see Agronak and his girl, I'll give it to them. Now get out of here if you ain't gonna fight."

I smiled sweetly and turned to slink out of the Bloodworks.

"Did I overhear you talking about the Gray Prince? Do you know where he is? By Azura, I've been so worried about him."

I found myself staring into the pleading hazel eyes of a Bosmer who could not have seen more than fifteen summers. He was taller than I only by the bright yellow hair swept up into a point above his head. "What's your name, young elf?" I said.

"I'm called Fanador. The Gray Prince is my hero and I'm his biggest fan – well, not literally the biggest - but certainly his most ardent and supportive. I've seen every one of his fights! I can't imagine why he just took off without me. Who's going to make his lunch or light his way with a torch at night or repair his sword and armor? Please, do you know where he is?"

"My name's Buffy and yes, I do."

"Oh, I could just burst! Tell me where he went, please."

I was quite unsure as to what Agronak would want me to say to this fan who seemed to adore him. "Um, I'll tell you what. The Gray Prince is expected to visit the Arena soon. I recommend you stay here until he arrives, and you can ask him yourself. How's that sound?"

With saucer-like eyes, he spouted, "By Azura, by Azura, by Azura! I can hardly believe it! Soon the Gray Prince will be standing right in front of me!" He pointed to the ground between his moccasins. "Should I wait right here?" His hand then swept toward the other end of the Bloodworks. "Or perhaps over there near Porkchop? Maybe I should wait closer to the entrance? No, I'm sure you know best. Right here it is then until my hero returns. Thank you, Buffy! I'll never forget your help!"

Once outside, I allowed a chuckle. After only a minute or so with Fanador, I could imagine that perhaps Agronak had left him behind to travel in peace and quiet; or perhaps he did not want to endanger the boy. I had no idea whether the mighty Mazoga would simply dismiss Fanador as an irritant, or tuck the cute little elf into her pack as she had threatened to do with me on occasion. While pondering these things, I found that my feet had carried me to the Arboretum District, with its wonderful statues of the Nine Divines.

Feeling quite insignificant, I looked up at the Dragon God of Time towering above me. "I know I am a child of Mara, but I ask your continuing protection of those who seek to free your city at Kvatch."

Not really feeling any response I hoped Akatosh had at least heard my plea. My heart then guided me across the plaza, past the central statue of Talos, until my hand fervently rested upon the feet of another Divine. "Mara, I am frightened and my heart is unsure." I felt her invitation and climbed up to sit where the hem of her gown met the pedestal upon which she stood. "You know me well, my Goddess of Love, and you understand my heart. Help me to make the right choices during what will surely be challenging times ahead." As I leaned against her lower leg, a feeling of peace wrapped itself gently around me. "Acadian, are any of the Nine special to you?"

I felt, rather than heard his reply. I lightly hopped to the ground and opened my mind to the paladin. He guided me back across the plaza. As we approached Akatosh however, I felt myself veering right. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of another of the Nine. "Kynareth?"

"I know her as Kyne," replied Acadian. "And yes, she is precious to Phantom and I."

“Then I shall call her Kyne as well," I said, recalling the texts relating to my Aedra studies at the University. Kynareth, also known as Kyne to the ancient Nords, ruled the sky. Oddly enough, she was also the protector of forest creatures. Given the disparate nature of those domains, it was no surprise that her worshippers eschewed conventional chapels, in favor of outdoor shrines. “Who better to watch over a dragon, her rider and a forest elf that fate has bound together?"

Although I did not doubt the power of Akatosh, I had felt nothing from him - probably because I was unworthy. Mara, on the other hand, had always accepted me and freely bathed me in the comfort of her love. How could I not love her in return? Tentatively, I reached up to touch the stone foot of Kyne. After a moment, I smiled. I could feel her presence caressing the spirit of my paladin - and therefore, me. "Can I love two Divines at the same time?"

After a moment, Acadian responded, "Do your feelings for Superian diminish those you carry for Daenlin? You are a small elf, but your heart is as vast as the skies and forests in which Kyne dwells."

"Thank you, my paladin. Tomorrow at dawn, we ride for Kvatch."

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Aug 26 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

I smiled all the way through dear Mazoga's letter
As did I.

The Adoring Fan? rollinglaugh.gif
That would be so funny if the adoring fan is seen next following Mazoga and Agronak around!

Nice visit in the Arboretum District. She had some time to herself in the big city and learned a little of her paladin.

Lovely screenshot of Buffy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 26 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

So Buffy finally meets Oblivion's most notorious character! His enthusiasm really comes through, as does his devotion to the Grand Champion.

I adored Mazoga's letter! That first paragraph is so Foxy! I bet that Agronak is real good with his sword, indeed! biggrin.gif

Really enjoyed your exploration of Buffy's relationships with the Nine. It makes sense that she loves Mara, being a child of Bravil, but finds herself also drawn to Kynareth. After all, her chapel is the great outdoors!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Aug 26 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

Lost sight of your posting schedule for a moment. embarrased.gif Now I have two chapters to comment on:

126 –

Hmmm, it seems that Boderi has forgotten the mechanics of magic in Oblivion. Quaffing a potion or poisoning an arrow would dispel the invisibility, unless it works differently in the BF. Maybe a short duration Chameleon effect would suit her purpose better.

As always Boderi is a fountain of wisdom in this chapter. I love the summoning of an elven blade. One should have the option of summoning more than just the daedric. I also like being able to summon mundane items like cups or towels. The latter should prove most useful the next time Buffy has occasion to encounter a waterfall.

And it is nice to know that Arielle and Roliand will be dispatched to Kvatch. They certainly don’t have far to travel. I always wondered why you never encountered those two later in the Mages Guild questline. I flat out refuse to believe that the lich you encounter in a certain add-on is the same person. nono.gif

127 –

Buffy wasn’t the only one smiling through Mazoga’s letter. I think even Sir Rugrat got a chuckle out of it (well, except for the descriptions of Agronak’s swordsmanship dry.gif ). Buffy’s handling of Owyn was fun to read as well. As Claudette Colbert once said in The Palm Beach Story:
“You’d be surprised at what a pretty girl can do without doing anything.”

I honestly think that Agronak would rather go to Kvatch with Buffy and stare down the daedra than have to face the annoying Fanador! I can just imagine Mazoga insisting that he accompany them back to Layowin. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 26 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, I love Sir Mazoga’s letter! Her voice just sings out from the screen. Or perhaps growls. I can just see Agronak, excuse me, Sir Agronak tagging along when they get them some black bows.

Whoa, the eyelash flutter/pout combo. Buffy has really progressed with her Luciana lessons, if she can get Owyn to deliver a letter for her!

"I'm called Fanador.

I was rolling throughout this mercifully brief encounter. Here we have a portrayal of the Adoring Fan that is both accurate and affectionate. There has to be a prize for that!! Only Buffy. happy.gif If Sir Mazoga writes that she’s planning a trip to Dive Rock, we’ll know what she thought of Fanador!

How beautiful that Buffy found some peace within the city at the feet of Kyne and Mara, before she heads to Kvatch.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 26 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, Sir Agronak has certainly fared better in the BF than the TF!

"Hey, there's plenty more young bucks ready to jump on each others' swords for a moment of glory,"
You cannot stop the pr0n! laugh.gif

It looks like Buffy's pouting and eye-batting lessons are finally paying off!

On the other hand, maybe Teresa's Agronak was better off after all. At least he does not have to worry about an Annoying Fan following him around everywhere!

And we finish up with a lovely time spent pondering the gods in the Arboretum. That was a very clever observation of Kyne being - by her dual nature - the idea guardian of a dragon, rider, and wood elf. Plus, a wonderful picture!

--------------------
+Quote Post

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:25 AM