Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building Project 01: The Parodies Easter Egg
Troika
post Apr 19 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #1

Agent

Sinder Velvin has given us permission to use his hugely popular parodies in the mod. Due to the fact that they do fly in the face of just about everything that is TES, they can only be included as an easter egg. That means no mention of them in the 'real' parts of the library, and an especially difficult way of reaching them. We need to cover as many points as possible, and when we have majority agreement on something, we'll consider it pinned down, and once everything's as sorted as much as it can be, we can move onto the next project.

So, try to focus on one point at a time, and debate in a friendly manner people!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Oozae
post Apr 20 2005, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

Well... We should probably get the geography part of the library done so we can decide where to put the parodies (maybe in seperate parts?), and obviously we will have to wait until OB comes out.

--------------------
"Make a fire for a man and he's warm for a short time. Burn a man and he's warm for the rest of his life" Terry Pratchett
+Quote Post
Troika
post Apr 20 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Agent

Well that is the problem; people are so eager to start getting things planned, but many of the things people are talking about are underpinned by variables that we won't know until the game is released. One of the biggest variables is actually how many books will be in the Library - it's a continually growing number that we can't predict, so trying to design a layout for the main Library at this point is, well, pointless.

But by tackling things in an orderly manner, and deciding on the bits we can get organised now, it will mean that the process of getting all these things into the mod will go so much quicker.

I chose Sinder's Parodies as the first Building Project because some of 'big' variables are already known... the amount of content, and where it will be in relation to the rest of the Library (hidden) being the main two.

So to start the discussion, how will the Parodies b presented to the player? Do we want it to look like just another part ofthe Library, or do we want it to be something completely different?

Your ideas and comments please.
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Apr 20 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=Troika]

snip

So to start the discussion, how will the Parodies b presented to the player? Do we want it to look like just another part ofthe Library, or do we want it to be something completely different?

Your ideas and comments please.[/quote]

I would like something very well hidden, something that you notice eventually (IE, every other candleabra can be turned 45 degrees), but there will be a small chance of actually unlocking (that the right combination of turnings opens a secret doorway.)

I do think that we need to hise these things pretty well. And libraries would be the perfect place for odd secret passages and whatall.

--------------------
these forums taste almost, but not quite, completely unlike tea.
+Quote Post
Venom_X
post Apr 21 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #5

Agent

I would like to see a small puzzle they have to work out.

Or have a trap door that they have to open by turning something. Like the mission in MW where you turned the skull in order to get a door to appear downstairs.

--------------------
Here is the greatest advice you will ever get
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Apr 21 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

I'd like to see their whereabouts hidden in riddles within some of the library books. Object riddles possibly. If it's going to be an easter egg, might well give an easter egg hunt via looking for clues hidden in certain books, under shelves and stuff.
+Quote Post
WillyBubba
post Apr 24 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #7

Retainer

[quote=DoomedOne]I'd like to see their whereabouts hidden in riddles within some of the library books. Object riddles possibly. If it's going to be an easter egg, might well give an easter egg hunt via looking for clues hidden in certain books, under shelves and stuff.[/quote]

Maybe we could make a book that is the journal of the foreman who led construction of the library. It would have little notes and tidbits in addition to a little story about construction problems, and these notes would be the clues to the player as to where the hidden places are and how to get to them.

--------------------
Please don't feed the animals... or Stargazey.

Hey, what are you doing at a zoo? GET BACK TO WORK!
+Quote Post
Corryn
post Apr 25 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #8

Associate

I really like the idea of a Formans journal. It could be used for more than just this one easter egg too. I'm probably exagetating what is possible, but I would love it if the library was large enough for us to have hidden secrets and chambers all over the place. This would be especially good for books that have quests relating too them.

Ex.
(Your walking along and pull a book from a shelf. Behind it you find a small note with a combination. You turn some objects using the notes instructions and a panel opens which explains a rare artifact and how to aquire it)

Of course I have a bit of an overactive imagination so how far we can take this will still depend on when tha game comes out.
+Quote Post
stargate525
post Apr 25 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

[quote=Corryn]I really like the idea of a Formans journal. It could be used for more than just this one easter egg too. I'm probably exagetating what is possible, but I would love it if the library was large enough for us to have hidden secrets and chambers all over the place. This would be especially good for books that have quests relating too them.

Ex.
(Your walking along and pull a book from a shelf. Behind it you find a small note with a combination. You turn some objects using the notes instructions and a panel opens which explains a rare artifact and how to aquire it)

Of course I have a bit of an overactive imagination so how far we can take this will still depend on when tha game comes out.[/quote]
booyah. I love this idea, you and i are in the same accord on this. I would love to be the designer of all the hidden scret gizmos and dodads...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hukai The Wandering
post Apr 25 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #10

Knower
Group Icon

YAY! good times!

this idea sound great! have fun!
+Quote Post
TravelingWater
post Apr 28 2005, 03:38 AM
Post #11

Associate

Ok, noob here, so be gentle! wink.gif I've been writing for some time now, though, and this topic rather stirred my grey matter a bit. Let me know what you think about the following...

Once you overhear someone in a tavern talking about a hidden library full of hidden and powerful books/histories, you can ask to the owner of any given bookstore about a secret library. They'll tell you that they've never heard of such foolishness and so on, but there is someone who can tell you for sure that there is no such thing. The master librarian at the library in the Capitol of the province. So you travel there, curious and whatnot, meet up with the old man. He immeadiatly tells you there is no such thing. And he would know. He mentions a rumor about someone saying they had been given a forman's journal -a journal of the man who built a secret chamber beneith the keep of an escentric landholder- by the forman's wife, but that no sense had been made of it. It had to have been a ruse, because there were no records of such a building project in the imperial files, nor in any other book.
You, of course, ask who the forman's journal was given to. The old man sends you on a wild goose chase. You come back, unsucessful, and he promptly sends you on another one. You see, he is testing you. HE is the old man who was given the journal of the forman over 50 years ago, and has kept is secret from absolutly everyone once he found out what lengths the empire would go to in protecting the histories they had written themselves. Histories that had been doctored to paint them in a better light than was actually true.
But old age is creeping up on the master librarian, and curiosity is begining to take the place of caution and the fear of loosing his life. So, he takes you in as an apprentice, teaching you how to find and read through the histories for clues. You both look together, advancing toward the final goal of finding the location of the Keep where the secret library is hidden. (like becoming a guild leader in MW, it should be a long process with a load of steps) So you finally find the keep. Now you have to scout it out, taking the journal with you, using it to get past the traps and locks that the crazy keeper had the forman install. You finally find the library, all its glories are open to you. But now you must go back, and bring the Master Librarian to the hidden trove, because he simply must see it for himself. Once you do that, he gives you the keys to the Library and Histories of the Capitol, and names you assistant Master Librarian.

Ok, a little more indepth than I origionally intended, but what do you think? Managable? Interesting? Would you play a side quest like this?

--------------------
With the roaring of a mighty wave, or the
whisper of a tumbling stream; you have heard
my voice and it has stirred your thoughts.
+Quote Post
Oozae
post Apr 28 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

[quote=DoomedOne]I'd like to see their whereabouts hidden in riddles within some of the library books. Object riddles possibly. If it's going to be an easter egg, might well give an easter egg hunt via looking for clues hidden in certain books, under shelves and stuff.[/quote]Why not make some riddles called the Easter Egg hunt, and in each riddle's answer there is a clue to the location of a certain puzzly thingymajiggy which will allow you to open door. In the room there will be one part of the Parodies cunningly hidden, using the clues hidden in the answer's of the other riddles, you must find the other puzzles to open the doors to the rooms which contain the rest of the parodies, good idea?

--------------------
"Make a fire for a man and he's warm for a short time. Burn a man and he's warm for the rest of his life" Terry Pratchett
+Quote Post
stargate525
post May 5 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Finder
Group Icon

I like the Idea of the foreman's journal being hidden somewhere in the library. And since I am apparently the 'the designer of all the hidden scret gizmos and dodads' I think that is the way we should go as a basic 'roadmap' of the hidden chambers in the Library.

as for the parodies...

I like the idea of the clues being hidden in books

I like the idea of them being a 'gimme' when you find the formans journal (IE the location is in there, but none of the other clues are as specific)

I like having puzzles.

thoughts?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Venom_X
post May 5 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #14

Agent

I like the idea of the forman's journal helping you out but it shouldn't give you the exact information (some of the words are to hard to read). It says you go over in this area and then it says something about turning something but the rest is up to you.

--------------------
Here is the greatest advice you will ever get
+Quote Post
Aemos the Wise
post May 27 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #15

Associate

Perhaps they can be scattered about the library, behind rows of books. Or maybe behind paintings, or even glued to the bottom of tables.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post May 28 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #16

Unregistered

Yes... I would like them to be scattered around. But easy to find. I mean whats the point of having such a funny easter egg if nobody can find it? It though should not be on the extremly easy side either.
+Quote Post
Mazuk
post Jun 23 2005, 02:13 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

[quote=TravelingWater] Once you overhear someone in a tavern talking about a hidden library full of hidden and powerful books/histories, you can ask to the owner of any given bookstore about a secret library. They'll tell you that they've never heard of such foolishness and so on, but there is someone who can tell you for sure that there is no such thing. The master librarian at the library in the Capitol of the province. So you travel there, curious and whatnot, meet up with the old man. He immeadiatly tells you there is no such thing. And he would know. He mentions a rumor about someone saying they had been given a forman's journal -a journal of the man who built a secret chamber beneith the keep of an escentric landholder- by the forman's wife, but that no sense had been made of it. It had to have been a ruse, because there were no records of such a building project in the imperial files, nor in any other book.
You, of course, ask who the forman's journal was given to. The old man sends you on a wild goose chase. You come back, unsucessful, and he promptly sends you on another one. You see, he is testing you. HE is the old man who was given the journal of the forman over 50 years ago, and has kept is secret from absolutly everyone once he found out what lengths the empire would go to in protecting the histories they had written themselves. Histories that had been doctored to paint them in a better light than was actually true.
But old age is creeping up on the master librarian, and curiosity is begining to take the place of caution and the fear of loosing his life. So, he takes you in as an apprentice, teaching you how to find and read through the histories for clues. You both look together, advancing toward the final goal of finding the location of the Keep where the secret library is hidden. (like becoming a guild leader in MW, it should be a long process with a load of steps) So you finally find the keep. Now you have to scout it out, taking the journal with you, using it to get past the traps and locks that the crazy keeper had the forman install. You finally find the library, all its glories are open to you. But now you must go back, and bring the Master Librarian to the hidden trove, because he simply must see it for himself. Once you do that, he gives you the keys to the Library and Histories of the Capitol, and names you assistant Master Librarian.[/quote]

I thought this as a awesome idea. I would do something like that. Would be added quests for more game time.
+Quote Post
Doomed4Eternity
post Nov 13 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #18

Evoker

QUOTE(Doomed4Eternity @ Nov 13 2005, 10:07 AM)
nice idea i say too and hopefully i could help

but aside from that how about ciphers (codes if you dont know)

i am a code cracker for my local school and i do the national cipher challenge ecvery year with a few others so i would be glad to do something like making 1 up

thx and urmm

contact me if you want more info...

Will this help in any way? contact .... the.real.world.of.oblivion@googlemail.com

This post has been edited by Doomed4Eternity: Jan 8 2006, 11:18 AM
+Quote Post
vaanic~one
post Nov 13 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #19

Finder
Group Icon

I'm all for "spreading" the parodies out. I think it makes it more interesting and fun that way.

So when you find the first one, you'll be more inclined to go out and search for the others (of course, the PC will need to be told that there are others, in order for them to do that).

--------------------
IPB Image

Oliver_lowe@hotmail.com
TESSource Staff
+Quote Post
Jaeld Alteir
post Nov 13 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #20

Retainer

And if there is a path of clues that leads to a secret room or something, I think it would be only fitting if the last step in the process were something truly oddball. Something that was virtually a "parody" of opening the typical secret passage door.

Like taking a loose brick from the fireplace, the candlestick from atop a bookshelf, and the rusty old key that was hidden behind some books, taking them over to the suspiciously large old grandfather clock, and then throwing them all into it and shaking the thing around a bit.

And then a secret passage in the ceiling opens or something.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:04 AM