Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arena Adventurings and Daggerfall Dealings, A Characters Update thread
Renee
post Oct 31 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #421

Councilor
Group Icon

Aw, I miss that beautiful square snow.

I might get into some Arena at some point, just to mess around. I dunno why, but Daggerfall never really captured my soul yet.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 3 2017, 01:03 AM
Post #422

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 31 2017, 06:54 AM) *

Aw, I miss that beautiful square snow.

I might get into some Arena at some point, just to mess around. I dunno why, but Daggerfall never really captured my soul yet.

With Daggerfall, it seems to me that a love of labyrinthial dungeon crawls and progressing through the various "guilds" (Fighters, Mages, a Temple, a Knightly order, one of more of the "evil" guilds if you swing that way) are a big plus to enjoying the game. I love both, so DF is almost made to order for me.

(Those same labyrinthial dungeons transported into Oblivion & Skyrim would be too unrealistic, but DF is not an overly visual realistic game, imo.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 4 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #423

Mouth
Group Icon

Daggerfall has a particularly unique charm about it that makes me love it both despite and because of its flaws. It's hard to explain, but it's some befuddling combination of conflicting feelings. It's fun yet frustrating at times. Some things were great ideas, and some are incredibly half-baked (and many times the great ideas are even half-baked). Some mechanics worked well and some make me question, "Why would somebody do that?" Yet for all of its flaws, I can't help but love the game. It's got its own unique personality that I haven't seen any other game quite match.

I think it's incredibly impressive what Bethesda got out with such a short development cycle with the technology they had, but it's kind of a shame that we will never get to see what the game could have been had it had sufficient time to be made.

Poor ol' Arena always gets dismissed, so it's cool to see people here give it some love. I know it's relatively bare-bones to the other main titles in many ways, but being the progenitor of the series I think it deserves more credit and acknowledgement.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 5 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #424

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 4 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Daggerfall has a particularly unique charm about it that makes me love it both despite and because of its flaws. It's hard to explain,

Oh you don't have to explain. I do know what you mean. It's the reason I balk at the idea of remastering old games. In my opinion, there goes the charm part. sad.gif

It'll be one of those times when I get sick perhaps, and I'm in bed for several days. I'll fire up Daggerfall as I'm starting to feel better. Next thin you know, I can't put my controller down for hours .... days ... WEEKS ... Ahh! panic.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 5 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #425

Spam Meister
Group Icon

For all my love and gaming time with Oblivion, Arena still has a huge charm to it. Every dungeon reeks of atmosphere and it's easy to get paranoid and feel like something is following you. I also like the towns, especially those in Skyrim when it's snowing. Best Christmas feeling evah! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 5 2017, 03:09 PM
Post #426

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 5 2017, 03:48 AM) *

I also like the towns, especially those in Skyrim when it's snowing. Best Christmas feeling evah! biggrin.gif

Totally. I think if I pick up Arena again, I'm going to go the total opposite direction than a Spellsword in Skyrim. Maybe I'll roll a Thief in Elsweyr. Or an Archer from Valenwood. Because that's one of the things Arena has which Daggerfall really doesn't so far: each province has a different feel to it. Different weather. Different architecture. Different people, and different styles of dress.

All the buildings are the same in Daggerfall, and so are all the people, and the way they dress. This seems like a small detail, but for me, it adds to the exploration part if stuff changes as we travel around. I'm not saying DF doesn't offer tons of other stuff not present in the first game, I'm just saying (for me) that aspect of Arena is one of the things that hooked me early on.

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 5 2017, 03:13 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 9 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #427

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Moseying around Dunstad Grove waiting for evening/night to set in so hunting can commence. Takes a while though as I started this round in the morning, but it's at least afternoon now.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 20 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #428

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Afternoon turned to evening and thus the people went inside their homes and monsters took over Dunstad Grove. Well, bandits really. My character was attacked by a few Thieves and a Spellsword who kindly filled up Thor's Magicka reservoir. He was properly thanked with a fencing lesson but I don't think he'll turn up for a follow-up.. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 26 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #429

Councilor
Group Icon

It is rather funny in Arena how entire towns turn into monster-havens at night, right? Yet the prostitutes and charlatans stay outside. Like, how would a lizard man or a vampire look at a prostitute or a charlatan and go "oh, okay, you're human but I won't mess with you." huh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Nov 26 2017, 05:23 AM
Post #430

Master
Group Icon

how entire towns turn into monster-havens at night, right? Yet the prostitutes and charlatans stay outside

Then it's the same as IRL. wink.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 26 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #431

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lopov @ Nov 25 2017, 11:23 PM) *

how entire towns turn into monster-havens at night, right? Yet the prostitutes and charlatans stay outside

Then it's the same as IRL. wink.gif

No way! I mean yeah, maybe a human who's a criminal (and Arena also has these running around at night) would leave them alone, but a lizard man or a troll isn't going to know the difference! All they know is this could be dinnertime for them. tongue.gif

Here is an example of a prostitute, by the way. I mean c'mon.... some animalistic creature sees her, who is defenseless, and decides to up against my Level 13 dangerous character instead????

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 27 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #432

Councilor
Group Icon

Don't forget the rules of fantasy game armour for females. The more skin showing, the higher the rating. So she's practically immune from damage.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #433

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 27 2017, 10:04 AM) *

Don't forget the rules of fantasy game armour for females. The more skin showing, the higher the rating. So she's practically immune from damage.

Ha ha true. hehe.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 30 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #434

Mouth
Group Icon

Does anyone know if you can move the files for the most-updated version of Daggerfall to the GOG version? I don't think GOG's version has all of those patches inherently. I'm interested in keeping my play time logged when I decide to go meandering around the late-3rd Era Iliac Bay again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 30 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #435

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 30 2017, 05:59 AM) *

Does anyone know if you can move the files for the most-updated version of Daggerfall to the GOG version? I don't think GOG's version has all of those patches inherently. I'm interested in keeping my play time logged when I decide to go meandering around the late-3rd Era Iliac Bay again.

Good question, for which I have no answer. I have my own, somewhat related DF issues a the moment. I use DaggerfallSetup.exe for it's many unofficial patches, fixes and extra content. After assembled my "new" PC earlier this year I did as I've always done, simply copy my Daggerfall folder to the new computer, create a desktop icon, and resume play. This time, that didn't quiet work out. The game loaded fine. All seemed normal...until I needed my character to back up. He couldn't. A bit later I discovered he could no longer climb. While traveling by cart, horse mane animations no longer worked.

I ended up downloading and installing the more recent release of DaggerfallSetup.exe, then copying my save filed to it. That works exept:

1) Save games load super slowly. (The save process itself remains lightning fast.)

2) On existing the game I find my Win10 taskbar largely non functional and must restart the system.

No idea what's up. Number two is almost certainly a DF / Win10 (the OS that keeps on giving) compatibility issue. But what? The first might be due to some compatible issue between my saves and the undated DFSetup.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 30 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #436

Master
Group Icon

As alluded to above, my avatar has been out and about in the Kingdom of Daggerfall, centered in Daggerfall City, questing for the four organizations of which he is a member, those being the Mages Guild, the Fighters Guild, The Knights of the Dragon, and the Temple of Kynerath. Through no fault of his own, most of these quests proved quick and easy. The last, still ongoing quest, has turned into a long, drawn out affair. It takes place in a huge dungeon, one of those in which navigation isn't straightforward. Lots of elevators and mysterious levers. Hope he finds his target soon, as this quest has a short time limit. I suspect he'll need to use Recall to get back to the exit rather than hoof it. (He always anchors himself at dungeon exits, but prefers to find his way out on foot to keep in practice.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 1 2017, 06:44 AM
Post #437

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 30 2017, 10:05 AM) *

Good question, for which I have no answer. I have my own, somewhat related DF issues a the moment. I use DaggerfallSetup.exe for it's many unofficial patches, fixes and extra content. After assembled my "new" PC earlier this year I did as I've always done, simply copy my Daggerfall folder to the new computer, create a desktop icon, and resume play. This time, that didn't quiet work out. The game loaded fine. All seemed normal...until I needed my character to back up. He couldn't. A bit later I discovered he could no longer climb. While traveling by cart, horse mane animations no longer worked.

I ended up downloading and installing the more recent release of DaggerfallSetup.exe, then copying my save filed to it. That works exept:

1) Save games load super slowly. (The save process itself remains lightning fast.)

2) On existing the game I find my Win10 taskbar largely non functional and must restart the system.

No idea what's up. Number two is almost certainly a DF / Win10 (the OS that keeps on giving) compatibility issue. But what? The first might be due to some compatible issue between my saves and the undated DFSetup.

Oh boy, then Win10 could give me some issues then. Last time I played Daggerfall was on my previous computer that had Win8. Perhaps the UESP website could offer some tips about what to do.

I'd imagine putting the v2.16 (or whatever it is, I don't remember at the moment) files in the GOG version wouldn't be an issue. GOG does let you download games outside of the Galaxy client so that you can do what you want with them (although your time won't get tracked), so I don't think there'd be much issue in Galaxy. But I guess I will have to find out for myself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 1 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #438

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 30 2017, 11:44 PM) *

Oh boy, then Win10 could give me some issues then. Last time I played Daggerfall was on my previous computer that had Win8. Perhaps the UESP website could offer some tips about what to do.

I'd imagine putting the v2.16 (or whatever it is, I don't remember at the moment) files in the GOG version wouldn't be an issue. GOG does let you download games outside of the Galaxy client so that you can do what you want with them (although your time won't get tracked), so I don't think there'd be much issue in Galaxy. But I guess I will have to find out for myself.

I don't want to place blame solidly on Win10, which might or might no be an innocent bystander in this particular case.

ADDENDUM Oho! The plot thickets. My Win10 taskbar issues kicked in again, and I've not yet launched Daggerfall today. Come to think on it, taskbar issues were first noticed two or so days after my forced update to the Fall Creators Update.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 1 2017, 05:21 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 1 2017, 05:41 PM
Post #439

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Played some today though not so much. Dunstad Grove was patrolled until morning although some sleep was also had at the Flying Griffin.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 1 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #440

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 1 2017, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 30 2017, 11:44 PM) *

I don't want to place blame solidly on Win10, which might or might no be an innocent bystander in this particular case.

ADDENDUM Oho! The plot thickets. My Win10 taskbar issues kicked in again, and I've not yet launched Daggerfall today. Come to think on it, taskbar issues were first noticed two or so days after my forced update to the Fall Creators Update.

Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was solely Win10, although worries about compatibility issues was a major reason that held me back from getting Win10 on a computer for as long as I did.

That's a weird issue to have. It seems awfully convenient that it was after that update. An issue I am having after the last update is that I have to log in with my PIN twice upon computer start-up, which is moderately annoying.

--------------------
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:34 AM