Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 1, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Acadian
post Jul 31 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #121

Paladin
Group Icon

In Chapter 12, Buffy stood terrified before the Oblivion Gate responsible for the destruction of Kvatch. She took the advice of the brave Savlian Matius, and retreated to safety, perhaps to return someday.

Rider- I'm so glad you see Savlian as the gritty, selfless hero that Buffy seems to. Yes, Kvatch could be magnificent, and certainly commands an imposingly defensible piece of terrain. Thank you for enjoying what was an emotionally powerful scene for Buffy.

hazmick- I am pleased that you enjoy seeing Cyrodiil through Buffy's eyes. She is honored that her exploits could provide some inspiration to your own character. I hope you will stay with the telling of her tale.

Destri- Yes, my friend. Despite comments in the game otherwise, Savlian Matius is the true Hero of Kvatch, rivaled only by the brave Julian of Anvil. I'm delighted that you see him similarly. Did Buffy say she would come back? Oh my, I've never known the young elf not to keep her word.

Olen- Thank you. Buffy clear that flaming portal of mass destruction? ohmy.gif The girl that a mere few weeks ago nonchalantly popped in and out of the Shivering Isles is thankfully beginning to recognize true danger and her own limitations.

Zerker- The brief touch of destinies did seem to affect her, perhaps both of them. "I will come back?" Buffy always rides fast, shoots straight and tells the truth. Thanks.

SubRosa- Yes, a short one-scene episode. Anything I believe we could have added would have simply detracted. In fact that episode required only tiny edits from the original. Thank you also for noting the nits. Your keen and timely eye allowed me to repair them.

Wolf- Thank you. Buffy doesn't know from the Main Quest of course. She delivered the amulet because the Emperor and Barus were nice to her. She stormed out on Jauffre because he was unkind to her. Simple Buffy doctrine, even though she hasn't sorted that out yet. She seems to do things for (or against) people, not causes. The events of the Main Quest will go on around Buffy at a glacial pace. She will play minor, but important supporting roles. This is Buffy's first book. The Oblivion Crisis will be nowhere near resolved in her first book. As far as Savlian. . . he's a hero for sure, but Buffy doesn't fully understand the myriad unfamiliar emotions inspired atop that hill.

treydog- I'm so delighted to have you back with us. Thank you for the kind words and I hope you will continue catching up. We are introducing several new features into BF 2.0 that I hope you will enjoy.

Zalphon- I'm glad you liked the description of Kvatch. I really tried to do justice to what Buffy experienced atop that mountain.

13 The Traveling Merchant

Gently swaying golden grasses, and birds cheerfully winging overhead, marked the day as we leisurely made our way along the beautiful Gold Road. The morning sun warmed my back as we rode. Cresting a small rise, I sat up very tall (well, for me anyway) in the saddle, and looked at the rolling hills of the Gold Coast as the land before us sloped down to our destination.

I could see the distinctive red tile roofs on the towers, castle and buildings of Anvil. The city looked just like the painting that Carandial had brought back from a meeting of Ayleid ruin researchers in Anvil before I joined the guild. I wondered if I could meet the artist, Astia Inventius, while I was here.

The Gold Road had been quiet this morning. The one wolf that challenged us was no match for Superian's burst of speed. The mare could now sense my will. In fact sometimes, she made the best choice for us before I could even think of it. Frankly, she was better at quickly reacting to surprises than I. As we drew closer, the breeze carried the smell of the Abecean Sea. What a beautiful land this was! I was excited to finally be approaching the port city of Dibella, and anxious to earn my final endorsement for the Arcane University.

A drifting cloud darkened my excitement. I winced as I remembered there would be no recommendation from my guild mates that had perished in Kvatch. Only one mage had survived and she was distraught to near speechlessness. Had I arrived there a few days earlier, I probably would have been among the dead mages when the city was overrun. Savlian Matius had said that even most of those who got out of their homes and guilds were just run down and killed in the streets. I couldn't help but feel convicted by a sense of guilt; here I was, with the magnificent Gold Coast spread before me like a banquet of life.

I cheered up some as the beautiful white horses came into view. Within a few minutes, I had introduced myself and Superian to the Redguard couple who ran the Horse Whisperer Stables. Ernest knew horses, but seemed less than enthusiastic about his work. His wife Clesa however, displayed both knowledge and passion for the animals.

The Anvil mages guild was more elegant than some, friendly and well-kept. I met several of the mages and settled in. There would be time later for whatever might be involved in earning that final recommendation. After removing my dusty Arena raiment, I tugged on a pair of laced leather pants and selected a white peasant blouse that would let the warm sun dance across the tops of my shoulders. I then set out to tour the city.

I marveled at the wide streets paved with brick. Anvil was not as rich or fancy as Skingrad, but lovely nevertheless, with plenty of invitingly open spaces and park benches. People seemed relaxed here, just milling about enjoying this perfect day. A tall spire rose from the Chapel of Dibella. Further along the main street I passed the smithy and, what looked to be a fine inn.

Outside the west walls was the port area, charming in its own way with the sounds of the sea ever present. One of the several docked ships was being unloaded by a mixture of crew and dock workers. I was unsure if their stares made me feel kind of attractive, or perhaps more like a morsel of venison.

The boardwalk, with its shops and taverns was flanked to the south by Castle Anvil. I watched an Imperial as she painted the lighthouse that marked the northern end of the port. Sure enough, her name was Astia Inventius and she was pleased to hear that one of her paintings graced my guild hall. Beyond the tall, whitewashed beacon to arriving ships was open beach.

As I stood in the sand and looked out over the Abecean Sea, I felt very small. The only other time I had stared across a body of water unable to see the distant shore was when I visited the Serpent Stone in the Black Marsh, and had slipped down to Topal Bay for a bath. An idea popped into my head. I trotted back through the city to the stables.

A short time later, after riding along the north wall of the city, I was back on the beach. Superian's head bounced and her nostrils fluttered at the exhilarating sea breeze. I wanted to just enjoy the view from her saddle, but she was not content to simply allow the waves to lap at her hooves. We raced along the beach, showering the air behind us.

Her need for speed quenched for the moment, I slid to the sand. We had been working hard at developing the bond between us and our growing skill at using magic together. Placing my hand upon her shoulder, I silently asked her to stay where she was. I then backed away until I was near the lighthouse and she had grown small. Focusing on Superian, I imagined our thoughts traversing the distance between us and our spirits intertwining. After a moment, she bobbed her head and I was rewarded to see her return my gaze. I alerted her that a spell was coming. She understood, and the magicka that trailed from my fingertips was no surprise when it simply illuminated her in a soft glow for a few seconds.

I waited for her to look away, then wordlessly asked her to join me. She raced to my side. I made sure she was fully stopped before I hugged her. Several bounces to the ground requiring healing, had taught me to curb my premature exuberance with the powerful mare. Unsheathing my knife, I reached into my pack for an apple. "We're both getting better, aren't we?" After giving her the last slice, I took to the saddle again.

The sun was low now. Mesmerized, I watched as eventually it melted into the sea. "Acadian, do you know what kind of sound the sun makes when it touches the water?" The paladin didn't know either, but I could sense he enjoyed the sight as much as I. "Well, we better find out what's involved with this last recommendation." I patted the mare's neck. "Superian, let's get you back to the barn for the night."

Carahil had been assigned head of the Anvil guild when the former chapter magister was promoted to Arch Mage. "Unlike some mage guilds, we take our work seriously here." The attractive elf was well-dressed in a gown of black with burgundy trim, and stood almost two heads taller than I. Her blond hair was elegantly styled up off her shoulders such that it showed off her long neck and gracefully curved Altmer ears. She continued in pleasant, but measured tones, "No insignificant errand tasks here, Associate. The Arch Mage has asked for my assistance regarding what seems to be a rogue mage. Magic is serious business, and we take a dim view of those who would abuse its power."

Carahil went on to explain that I was to help two battlemages investigate the deaths of several traveling merchants along the Gold Road near Anvil. Posing as a merchant myself, my task was to attempt to draw out the killer. The only clue known about the mage was that he seemed to favor ice magic when dispatching his victims. The battlemage, Arielle Jurard would contact me at the inn I had passed approaching Anvil earlier that day.

The next morning, after fortifying myself with strawberries, a sweet roll and a mug of apple-berry juice, I grabbed some carrots and emerged from the guild. Squinting against the sun, I made my way to the stables to check on Superian. "Not this trip, girl," I said as she crunched the carrots. "Only one of us needs to be used as bait." After a final stroke to the mare's long nose, I proceeded along the Gold Road on foot. Despite the boots, laced leather pants and a burgundy blouse, I felt naked without my bow. Trying to look as 'merchanty' as I could, I made my way to the Brina Cross Inn without incident.

"Pssst!" The beautiful dark haired Breton wearing a simple brown blouse tucked into a tan skirt whispered, "Carahil sent you, did she not?" This was obviously my contact, Arielle Jurard. She continued in hushed tones, "Speak to Christophe, rent a room for the night and meet me upstairs. If anyone asks, you are a traveling merchant. Say nothing more." She ceased her whispering and declared quite loudly to me, "Why, um, no, traveler. I'm sorry. I don't know the way to Cheydinhal."

I rented a room from Christophe as instructed, then headed for the stairs.

"Excuse me," the Altmer in blue velvet towered over me, "but did I overhear you telling Christophe you're a traveling merchant?"

"Why, yes I am," I said.

"I'm Caminalda. I've been so frightened, with the recent murders. I haven't left the inn for days!"

It angered me that some rogue mage could intimidate innocent travelers into hiding inside an inn. I wanted to reassure Caminalda that help was forthcoming, but I remembered Arielle's instructions. I simply nodded and continued up to my room. I was soon joined by the battlemage. After introductions, I said, "What do we know thus far?"

"Little more than Carahil was able to tell you I'm afraid," Arielle began. "Tomorrow morning, depart the inn and proceed east along the Gold Road. A fellow battlemage and I will travel near you, but quietly out of sight. Make no attempt to contact us."

"I'll be unarmed. Merchants don't carry bows." I smiled nervously to mask my concern. "If attacked, all I really have to help is a few weak spells, and these." I held up the three scrolls of frost resistance Carahil had given me.

"If that happens, defend yourself as best you can." She frowned as she looked at the scrolls. "My advice on those, Associate, is to leave them in your pack. I doubt your enemy will stop to allow you time to read those things. Better to fight than read." Arielle then smiled and placed her hand upon my shoulder. "Look, I know you're nervous. We'll be close by, Buffy, and quickly rush in to take care of things. Now get a good night's sleep. You'll need it."

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jul 31 2010, 04:18 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 31 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #122

Master
Group Icon

It seems that I have a slightly different view of merchants than you do, but your vision works well for this recommendation.

I see you took into consideration my suggestions for the half-halt method of alerting Superian to pending magic. I'm very delighted to see how well she is adjusting to things. As the bond between her and Buffy grows, the half-halt will become subconscious and fleeting, and will cost both of them very little time. :twirl: (too bad we don't have my favorite emoticon from Bethsoft here!)

I loved how Buffy pondered the difference between Anvil and ruined Kvatch. It is quite the alarming difference. There is a spot on the Gold Road where you can see both cities at once: if you stand on the boulder at the south side of the Gold Road where the road starts to dip down to Gottshaw Inn (heading west from the Kvatch road), you can see Anvil on one side and the Kvatch massif on the other. Talk about a sobering contrast!

The Gold Coast is one of my favorite areas in Cyrodill because of its open sky and brilliant sunlight. The developers have done a wonderful job capturing the feel of each of the different provinces. I always imagine New Orleans when I go to Leyawiin. Bruma makes me think of Norway and the fjords. Chorrol makes me think of the northern Rockies (around Glacier National Park). Cheydinhal puts me in mind of Bavaria and the Black Forest, while Skingrad makes me think of the Mosel and Rhine valleys. Anvil makes me think of Sicily. I keep looking for black olives when I'm there! I think you have captured the change in topography well in this chapter.

Another outstanding chapter!

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 31 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #123

Ancient
Group Icon

Some very good world-building in your rich descriptions of Anvil, and especially its harbor and the beach. Likewise, I see you integrating h.e.o.'s observations on horse-training as well. That too, makes the relationship between Buffy and Superian sing.

I sat up very tall (well, for me anyway) in the saddle
This was simply delightful!

I was unsure if their stares made me feel kind of attractive, or perhaps more like a morsel of venison.
Now this is often just what a woman feels. Well done!

@h.e.o. Skingrad always makes me think of Eastern Europe, from the tall, narrow peaks on the towers and the other architecture. Malbork Castle in Poland

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jul 31 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #124

Mouth
Group Icon

If I were to spend the next month reading nothing except for tales of Buffy and Superian bonding I would consider it time well spent. The beach, the half-halt (thank you for that, haute), and the subtle use of both magic and intuition were all expertly realized and described.

“Acadian, do you know what kind of sound the sun makes when it touches the water?”

What a perfect question to ask after a day spent frolicking on the beach! I imagine the answer might be ‘a gentle sigh’.

Now Buffy has to face down a rogue mage, without her bow. ohmy.gif Bring it on!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jul 31 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #125

Knower
Group Icon

This is going to be interesting smile.gif

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Olen
post Aug 1 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #126

Mouth
Group Icon

Great chapter there, quite relaxed with the beach but while developing the relationship between Buffy and Superian. And now the Anvil recommendation which is my favourite.

I enjoyed your description of Anvil, I've never been sure why I don't like the place because it seems fine but I've always thought there's something odd there...

But going without any weapons? That's a bit rash Buffy, I'm fascinated to find out how this goes.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 1 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #127

Mouth
Group Icon

You have done a great job in capturing the feel of (in my opinion) one of the best places in cyrodiil, the contrast between kvatch and anvil and the effect of the kvatch devastation on everyone's favourite Bosmeri. I can't wait to see how the recommendation plays out. smile.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 3 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #128

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 13 introduced Buffy to Anvil. To earn her final University recommendation, she agreed to help track down a rogue mage who was preying on traveling merchants. Her assignment is to act as bait.

Rider- Your comment about merchants really made me think. I wish now that we had put more critical thinking into Buffy's disguise. Many ideas spring to mind, and Buffy is clever enough that she could have come up with them had I not let her down. I appreciate you causing me to examine my thinking, and am confident it will pay dividends in the future. Thank you!

Buffy and I are loving the richer role that Superian is playing in BF 2.0. You and Paint have been so wonderful at helping me move towards the elusive balance of reality and fantasy that we are striving for. A mystic mare with her mystic archer.

SubRosa- Anvil is a joy to describe, as it is so beautiful. Yup, poor Buffy, just an attractive morsel of venison - thank you so much for your endorsement of her feelings.

Destri- Buffy's efforts with her mare pay some dividends in the next story. Thank you, my friend.

Zalphon- Thanks. I hope you find her encounter in the next episode interesting.

Olen- Thank you. Anvil does invoke kind of an Ahhhh. . . sense of relaxation and well-being for Buffy and I. I hope you enjoy how Buffy tries to survive her recommendation.

hazmick- Thank you. Buffy's visit to Kvatch was dominated by the Oblivion gate and the brave defenders against it of course. The power and focus of that scene did not allow glimpsing into the effects of the city's devastation at the time. My intent was at the beginning of this past episode, to begin to paint the effects of Kvatch's destruction on Buffy and others. The situation at Kvatch will weave in and out of her story for a very, very long time.

14 It is the Way of Battlemages

Early the following morning, I stepped from the Brina Cross Inn and started walking east. The gray day without a trace of breeze was ominous, made more so by the fact that I was mere bait for a murderous mage. I was bedecked with the trappings of a traveling merchant. My hope was that the trio of silk pouches containing pebbles that dangled from my full pack would suggest I carried gems and other valuable merchandise.

I felt vulnerable without the comforting weight of bow and quiver upon my back, and began to second guess my disguise. I had never encountered a merchant wielding a bow, but perhaps I should have decorated my hip with a dagger - just for looks. Traveling the roads unarmed probably meant that I was either a dangerous mage that didn't need a weapon or a young and foolish girl. The truth of course was that I was a young and foolish mage that refused to learn how to use a dagger. I wasn't strong enough to do much damage with a blade anyway. Buffy! Stop daydreaming when you're supposed to be trying to walk into a trap.

I caught the occasional reassuring glimpse of blue hoods, as the two battlemages faded in and out of the brush alongside the Gold Road. They were, of course, my primary defense.

Suddenly, a figure entered the road ahead from my left and started running towards me. As the blue velvet gown quickly approached, I was relieved to see a familiar face, but concerned for her safety. "Caminalda, it's not safe to be traveling alone. That murdering highwayman has still not been -"

"Silence, tree hugger!" The Altmer's face had twisted into an ugly sneer. "I hope you carry more of value than the last few merchants." A menacing blue glow formed in her hand.

I was flustered, but didn't have time to curse the fact that I'd been expecting a snarling man, not the pretty elf that had timidly introduced herself to me the day prior. The green magic that would free my dancing cobra was just beginning to grow bright in my hand when Caminalda released her spell. The column of frost tore into the flesh of my left side, spinning me around, fizzling my spell and forcing my mouth open into a scream. Stunned and reeling from the pain, I turned towards her again to see the terrifying blue glow reforming in her hand.

My panic response took over and I managed to quickly wrap myself in the safety of invisibility. Despite the agony from my wound, I quietly slipped to my right. Her spell flew through the empty space I had just vacated and exploded the bark of a nearby tree into icy shards. I managed to circle behind her. To my horror, Caminalda spiked the air with a burst of pink magicka that was well-familiar to me. "You can't hide from me, little one." Her poison-laced words oozed the confident knowledge that her skills vastly exceeded mine.

Where were those battlemages?!?

As she began scanning the area, no doubt for my pink glow, I surrendered my invisibility and launched a weak fireball into the mage's back. I was staggering now, and didn't know how much longer the pain would allow me to stay on my feet. My mind raced aimlessly, unable to focus on my next spell.

Suddenly, Caminalda jerked violently as she was lit up by a bolt of lightning that came from the thick brush to her left. Before the crackling sparks that danced from her spasming limbs could subside, a massive ball of flame flew past me and engulfed the mage, bursting her gown and hair aflame. It was Caminalda's turn to scream. The heavily armored battlemages raced in after their spells, and quickly silenced the mage with flashing blades.

By the time I could smell Caminalda's burning flesh my vision had narrowed, grown devoid of color, then gone black. I grabbed the frozen wound on my side as I felt myself falling.

A wood elf surrounded by a beautiful white glow was floating, motionless in an otherwise black void. Her hair was blon. . . it was me! Was I dead? I started to panic; what would happen to Superian? The light surrendered to complete darkness, but now I could feel a small, cool hand on my forehead. I tried to form the question, 'Mother?' but no sound came. I could sense Acadian's familiar presence, and tried to speak again. This time I could feel my lips move, and hear the words as they drifted to my ears. "Did you die with me?"

"You're not dead, Associate. Open your eyes." I did so, and the concerned face of Arielle Jurard appeared. "Welcome back. We almost lost you."

"How. . . long?" I moaned as my head began to clear.

"Almost an hour, judging by the sun." Her deep brown eyes were as gentle as those of a doe tending her fawn as she cradled my head. "Roliand cast a very powerful healing spell to bring you back, but there was some serious damage done, and the area around your wound will be sore for a few days. I want you to return to the inn with us to rest for a time."

As I painfully tried to get up, Roliand quickly knelt beside Arielle, restrained me with a hand to my shoulder and commanded, "No." The quiet Imperial then gently lifted me into his arms as effortlessly as if I were a twig, and carried me to the inn.

After resting the afternoon and night, I felt more able to travel. Arielle gave me one of her spare brown blouses to replace my tattered burgundy one. "Thank you both for healing me. I think I can make it back to Anvil now. You and Roliand were beautiful to watch. I've never seen magic used like that. . . I mean, with weapons."

Roliand answered my smile. "It is the way of battlemages. You did well though, young elf, displaying courage and ingenuity."

Arielle added, "Ironically, the invisibility spell you cast not only saved your life, but also delayed our intervention. We had to wait until you reappeared to ensure you would not be hit by our spells."

Both battlemages offered me their hands. "Good luck at the University, Buffy. Roliand and I hope to see you again."

Once outside the inn, I winced as I realized I had overstated my fitness to travel.

Grasping the small pouch containing a lock of black mane, I focused on my mare. "Superian, I need you." The distance between our spirits evaporated. I could feel the water trailing from her mouth as she suddenly lifted her head from the trough at the Horse Whisperer Stables. She heard me, and knew what was coming. I stared at the Brina Cross Inn mark on the map before me, then stabbed it with a finger.

Superian instantly appeared at my side. I was relieved to see she was more curious than unsettled. By giving her some warning, I was learning to ease the disorientation caused by the Call of Corsair. "Sorry to interrupt your drink of - ow!" I grasped my side.

Responding to my pain, she nudged me gently with her nose, then stood quietly as I used the fence rails to assist my climb up to her saddle. We slowly rode back to Anvil. A bowgirl without a bow, trying to trade spells with a real mage. How dumb had that been?

This post has been edited by Acadian: Aug 6 2010, 03:19 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Olen
post Aug 3 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #129

Mouth
Group Icon

A good ending to a good part, it displays her weakness and yet agin shows her becoming a bit overconfident and getting stung, though I suspect that she will fail to learn from this one too...

Buffy! Stop daydreaming when you're supposed to be trying to walk into a trap.

The dry humour is so Buffy, it rounds her character making her not all bubbles but with some cynicism underneath.

The inclusion of Haute's forewarning of the horse fits well too and adds to the unusual realism and 'gameiness' this piece has. Superian is becoming quite an important character in Buffy's development too.

My only semi-nit would be that using 'absent' as a preposition, while technically corrent, read a bit strangely. It might be just an accent thing but here it's rather pretentious to use it as such and so didn't fit Buffy's monologue for me...

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 3 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #130

Master
Group Icon

Wonderful chapter, showcasing Buffy's vulnerability and youth at the same time highlighting her innate ability to learn from her mistakes and to respond to unexpected events. I am glad that Superian is handling the Call of Corsair so well.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the airplane was the first thing that came to mind when I first read of the Call of Corsair. It is one of my favorite of the WWII fighter planes, and so unique in its wing design (one of the things that makes it so recognizable). It was also my favorite thing (up alongside Robert Conrad) in the TV series!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 3 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #131

Ancient
Group Icon

Traveling the roads unarmed probably meant that I was either a dangerous mage that didn't need a weapon or a young and foolish girl. The truth of course was that I was a young and foolish mage that refused to learn how to use a dagger.
I loved this! and of course the next sentence that Olen already highlighted.

Excellent depiction of the magic battle. We see an intelligent use of spells by both sides (which never happens in the game), and wonderful descriptions of the actual effects.

A wood elf surrounded by a beautiful white glow was floating, motionless in an otherwise black void. Her hair was blon. . . it was me!
This is of course, so Buffy!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 3 2010, 05:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 3 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #132

Master
Group Icon

5 You Hear Voices Too?

I loved the way the chapter started “in the middle” and then wove into the past and the present. Nicely done.

Dagail’s recognition of Acadian was one of those “of course” moments. She hears spirits and has done for many years- a wonderful bit of world-building.

And the previously quoted passage about sleeping in full armor and weaponry- or not sleeping at all. That was so deliciously “Buffy,” showing us that she is NOT a puppet or automaton.

And we see Buffy beginning to consciously articulate her doctrine.

6 Superian

Buffy’s level-headed solution to the Cheydinhal recommendation quest was perfect. Instead of a futile struggle to retrieve the ring- which is just a red-herring (or a black, soul-sucking murder weapon)- she figures murder is the purview of the Guild and the guards. Clever elf!

The highlight, of course, is the meeting and beginning of the bonding with Superian. Those paragraphs are some of your best, as I found myself completely “in the moment” throughout.

7 Vilverin

Buffy’s moment of hubris, quickly followed by the rattle of bones gave me a shiver!

And then her reflexive “trigger-pulling” even after the skeleton is dead (more dead? un-undead? inarticulated?) Like none of us have ever done that before!

The scene of her frustration and fear was absolutely brilliant. Sad to say that hard lessons often involve pain and suffering, things our sheltered Bosmer is only beginning to discover. And the segue into her growing understanding of Acadian’s nature also rings true.

And then, excellent writer that you are, you relieve our tension with a brief conversation about Buffy’s- um---habit of relieving her tension:

"Ever since I was a little girl, sometimes when I get really frightened and surprised at the same time I, well, you know." Then I added, "That really needs to stay just between us."
----

The moral dilemma of shooting from ambush was quite well-described. How do you KNOW that the person lurking in that room is evil? Maybe, as Buffy surmises, he is a victim in need of aid… This is another moment where you- and Buffy- show the power of ambiguity.

“Then it really hit me - clothes! Every girl needs extra clothes, and they would stay nice and dry in there. I mean, I only carry four pairs of shoes and just half dozen or so outfits and a rain robe with hood, but the weight does sort of add up. Especially including my leathers, and oh yes, that fur cuirass I found to wear up north.”

I had to stifle a guffaw here (reading at work again!)

As to Detect Life detecting- unlife?- I follow SubRosa’s concept. There is an animating force that was used to create the skeleton- zombie- etc. It is a rather stunted or contained (soul gem?) version of the life force. In Morrowind, one type of undead (Bonelords) actually drop soul gems when they are destroyed.

8 Water… um, yeah

"If you want me to choose loyalties between a rogue mage with a bad attitude or my guild, you lose," I snapped angrily. "That book is the property of the Mages Guild now."

Now that is the Buffy we love. Despite the issues she has uncovered within the Guild, they have stil earned her loyalty. Earana is just some random annoyance on the street.

The waterfalls and pools at Black Rock Caverns are a favorite spot of mine, as well.

“I was sure Acadian had probably placed some blue mark on my map. I hadn't looked, and right now, didn't care. The map could wait.”

Sometimes an elf just needs a few moments to herself- especially when there is a forest pool nearby.

The meeting with Jauffre and “You’re not the boss of me,” another near-miss involving beverages and computer screen….

Perhaps it is partly an effect of reading several chapters at a sitting, but this moment of relaxation really “fits” perfectly. Our young elf has been run from pillar to post, and she needs the time to reflect and enjoy the beauties of nature.

9 Ride Fast and Shoot Straight

Your description of Buffy’s anger and vengefulness, followed by her doubts, illustrates why this is such good story-telling. She is young and still forming her value system- but if you want a slow, painful death- fool with Superian.

10 You Don’t Look Like a Mage

Some excellent archery lessons here. And I recall commenting previously on Buffy noticing the goblins’ red blood and pointed ears….

The 2.0 version shows a lot of growth- in the character and her co-pilot. You have wonderful, clear descriptions that provide enough information without slowing the pace. Besides lessons in archery, these chapters could be used to provide lessons in character development.

Sinderion is a prime example of the above- he is charming, curious, absent-minded… Excellent characterization. And I also loved the Call of Corsair bit of history as an explanation for fast-travel.

11 Bleak Flats Cave

I enjoyed the description of Buffy out in the wilderness, gathering ingredients and contemplating their properties. Alchemy is one of my favorite aspects of TES, and I have sometimes forced myself to create characters that do not use it- just to get a different experience.

Buffy’s learning about the undead progresses- now with extra rotting zombies.

“…I went about the gruesome task of cutting into the twice dead flesh to free my arrows.”

Besides the “ewww” factor, there was something about that sentence that I liked.

"Would you like to wait for someone who looks like a mage?"

Got to love that Buffy attitude!

You capture Erthor’s babbling perfectly, and Buffy’s musings on life-companions and what to wear made a wonderful conclusion to this episode.

12 The Heart of a Lion

A wonderfully described chapter. Your economy of words is perfect for this turning point in Buffy’s life- as is the fact that she seems unaware that a turning point has been reached….

13 The Traveling Merchant

Beautiful descriptions of one of the most picturesque places in all of TES IV. And Arielle’s advice regarding scrolls in combat matches my own attitude. I can just see a scholarly mage telling the highwayman:

“Hang on a sec, just let me find this…” as he sorts through a bulging bag of scrolls.

14 It Is the Way of Battlemages

As others have pointed out, Buffy’s reverie- and stern admonition to herself to cut it out- are such a delight.

Acadian, you are under strict instructions not to let this elf die! She has too much more to do- and to tell us about.

This post has been edited by treydog: Aug 4 2010, 04:12 PM

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Aug 3 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #133

Mouth
Group Icon

This was my favorite chapter so far. Buffy admonishing herself to pay attention so that she could walk into the trap was the sort of deadpan humor that we have come to expect from her. I also liked the concern for Caminalda’s safety which, as is usual with Buffy, trumped any cautionary instinct.

Where were those battlemages?!?

I had the exact same question at the exact same time! The answer that Arielle gives Buffy later made me do yet another facepalm. Duh! Invisible!! embarrased.gif

I started to panic; what would happen to Superian?

Not ‘oh no, I’m dead!’ or ‘where’s the guy with the sickle?!?’ it’s ‘what would happen to the horse?’. Classic Buffy!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Aug 4 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #134

Knower
Group Icon

Would you stop "almost" dying. Darn you!

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
MyCat
post Aug 4 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #135

Evoker

...I used the fence rails to assist my climb up to her saddle.

I can feel her pain.
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 5 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #136

Mouth
Group Icon

My heart skipped a beat there, i echo my fellow readers and ask that Buffy be more careful in the future tongue.gif i really enjoyed the description of the magic and the description of the effects of magic on the character, usually when playing the game, my character just gets hit by magic and moves on and this chapter has brought me to thinking that being hit by a fireball may have more effect on the character than the primary health drop. Keep up the good work biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Remko
post Aug 6 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #137

Finder
Group Icon

What? No Imperial Guard to cut the two murdering Battlemages down?? That quest always has me in stitches... Bad, bad battlemages cutting down an innocent highwaym... errr... woman..... err.... mage... I'm confused now. tongue.gif
Nice one Acadian!

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 6 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #138

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 14 saw Buffy outclassed in a mage fight for her life. She survived however, and limped back towards Anvil to hopefully claim her final University recommendation.

Olen- Buffy is quite fragile, and getting hit even once is very dangerous for her. Thank you for the comment on forewarning Superian. At the risk of sounding immodest, I loved the fact that Buffy could 'feel' water trailing from Superian's mouth as the mare lifted her head from the trough several miles away. I agree with you on use of the word 'absent' in this case, and changed it. Buffy will become more sophisticated in her speech once she gets herself an arcane education.

Rider- Thank you for the kind comments. Acadian Sr tells me his fellow Corsair pilots referred to the indigo aircraft as the 'bent wing monster'.

SubRosa- Thank you. It was you that suggested such a long time ago that perhaps some of Buffy's magically inclined foes might know how to use detect life too. ohmy.gif Can you believe it? I managed to write a combat scene without pulling a bowstring!

treydog- I'm absolutely delighted that you have caught up with us. It was so wonderful to read your delicious comments on the preceding chapters. I admire your own style so much, that the compliments coming from you truly made our week. With 500 hours together, the little glass cannon has yet to die in game, so I promise to continue to help keep her alive.

Destri- I'm really honored that you like this chapter so much! I so appreciate you highlighting some of the things I was trying to do here.

Zalphon- Ok, Buffy says she will try to stay out of fights for awhile. In fact, I think she will be forced to loiter in the beautiful port city of Dibella for a time.

MyCat- Buffy took a direct hit of ice from a very powerful mage. It will take multiple healing sessions over several more days to fully recover.

hazmick- Thank you for the kind words on our use of magical effects. I think we can keep Buffy out of danger for several episodes now.

Remko- I have never had that quest interrupted by a patrolling Legion Rider, but I have heard that it can get very interesting/confusing. Thanks!

15 Sparky the Imp

"Welcome back, Associate," Carahil stated as she lowered the Biography of Barenziah. "I was visited by Arielle and Roliand yesterday while you were recuperating at the Brina Cross Inn. You have acquitted yourself well. I shall mention your brave service in my reports to both Lady Anvil and the Council of Mages. The headmaster of the Arcane University will also receive my endorsement supporting your admission." She allowed a smile. "I understand this is your final recommendation, so congratulations are in order."

"Thank you," I said, grateful that I had survived my encounter along the Gold Road. "I look forward to my time at the University."

"First things first. Lift your blouse." It was not a request. Carahil frowned as she examined the black, blue and burgundy area around the frost wound on my left side. After applying her fingertips to assess my condition, she announced, "Roliand is a fine field healer, and you may thank him for saving your life. The wound will heal, but I'm afraid we need to do something to prevent scarring. Hold still." She placed a hand on my wound, and bathed the area in soothing white magic.

I looked down at my side. "Carahil, that does look much better."

"We're not done yet, Buffy. The Anvil guild is charged with specializing in restoration, and I make it my business to ensure we're the best healers in Cyrodiil. That includes the oft overlooked area of cosmetic healing. It will take several more daily treatments, but you will not leave here until your wound is completely healed and you are free of scars. Is that understood?"

Part of me chafed at being ordered about, but I realized it was for my own good. In fact, Kud-Ei probably would have given me the same orders. I nodded.

For several days, I lingered in Anvil.

Every morning Carahil convened a short meeting and training session with her assembled mages as we enjoyed strawberries, sweet rolls and apple-berry juice. She was a brilliant instructor and taught many of the classes herself. The guild head also required her mages to take their turns at presenting lessons. After one of the meetings, she pulled me aside. "Buffy, I want you to teach tomorrow's class."

My eyes flew open wide. "What can I possibly tell these mages? I. . . I don't even feel like a real mage."

"Is that so?" The Altmer cocked her head and raised an eyebrow, as my own eyes settled towards the floor. "You have earned the recommendations from seven guilds, yet have learned nothing from your travels that you consider worthy of sharing with us? My sources tell me otherwise."

"Your sources?" My eyes popped back up to hers.

"I've read the investigation of Kalthar's death prepared by the assistant magister of the Leyawiin branch. In it, Agata describes an interesting magic you used to dispatch the traitorous mage. Why do you think I selected you to assist Roliand and Arielle? Speaking of battlemages, those two inform me that you arrived at the Brina Cross Inn on foot, but departed by horse." Her right eyebrow remained elevated.

"Oh," I said, "those are special powers I learned in my travels. They allow me to-"

Carahil silenced me with an upraised hand and a knowing smile. "Don't tell me. Tell your fellow mages in the morning. I don't care which topic you choose. While under this roof, you're one of my mages. As such, I am interested in expanding your abilities. I want you to develop the capability to teach and share what you know. It is a skill every mage should possess."

"Well, I guess I could explain about my Cobra Dance power."

Carahil's face illuminated into a warm smile as she looked down at me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I think our mages would love to hear about that, Buffy."

The next morning, helped along by some gentle questions from Carahil and the other mages, I survived my brief turn at the podium. I'm not sure how much anyone learned from me, but the ordeal certainly improved my self-confidence. I began to suspect that was the guild head's objective anyway.

Carahil had not overstated her talent as a healer either. Each day, her gentle hands worked their magic as the horrible frost burns on my side continued to fade. "It won't be long now, Buffy." Carahil allowed a rare chuckle. "I'll not have my friend Kud-Ei accuse me of releasing you from my charge in less than perfect condition."

There was time also to enjoy the beautiful town and beaches. The smithy had repaired my Arena raiment to like new. Norbert Lelles' general store on the waterfront was a treasure trove of exotic things delivered to the port from faraway lands. Superian's exercise had suffered while I was lame, but I spent time grooming her every day and was gradually returning to riding longer and faster.

One morning after Carahil's meeting, I was on my way out to the stables to check on Superian. I paused as I approached the massive twin wooden doors that protected the city. A pair of men's voices could be heard coming from just outside the gate.

"The shipmaster, Heinrich Oaken-Hull, has a wood elf for a wife. I'd rather sleep with my horse."

The other voice snorted and responded, "Heinrich is married to a Bosmer? I suppose the women are less annoying than the men."

I tugged one of the heavy wooden doors open enough to emerge on the other side. A flash of color sprang to the young Imperial faces of the two guards. "Ahem," said one, his tone now all business, "I stand relieved then. Have a quiet watch, Audeius."

The other guard responded, "Thanks. Get some rest. Perhaps the cook still has some biscuits and boar sausage left in the guard house." His face still somewhat reddened, he then looked down at me and spoke, "Hail, citizen. Where are you bound this morning?"

"Well, Audeius," I placed my hands behind my back and leaned forward coyly, "I wouldn't want to annoy you or anything, but I thought I would stop by the stables." Managing to suppress a giggle, I then wheeled off towards the corral, tossing words over my shoulder. "I want to make sure no one was trying to sleep with my mare last night."

By the time the shadows of the city towers were short, we were leisurely riding along the beach. "Superian, am I annoying? Not that I'm interested in those Imperials, but it is kind of hurtful to hear them say they would rather sleep with a horse - no offense of course." Getting no answer from the mare, I sought another opinion. "Acadian, do you think Imperials find me unattractive?" Quite a ways from the harbor now, we turned and slowly started back towards Anvil. "Why do I ask?" I drew Superian to a stop and watched the sun dance across the Abacean waves. "Well, do you remember the guard captain at Kvatch? He's an Imperial. . . oh, I don't know what I'm thinking. Let's head home."

After that afternoon's healing session, Carahil inspected the site of my wound and announced, "There's no trace of scarring or discoloration. You're fit to travel."

"Carahil, why does that make me feel both happy and sad?"

She returned my bittersweet smile. "I shall miss you too, Buffy. You've been a joy to have in my guild."

"I will leave the morning after tomorrow then," I quickly added with a grin, "if that's ok with you."

She nodded. I wrapped my arms around her waist. After a moment, the Altmer lowered her chin to the top of my head and gently returned my hug.

I spent the remainder of the afternoon up in the sleeping quarters, surrounded by a daunting array of essentials, as I began to organize my pack for travel. Eventually, hunger drove me downstairs.

One of the Journeymen had somehow managed to tame an imp that he kept as a companion. I had been curious since first seeing the domesticated little creature. I joined the imp and his master for dinner in the guild's dining room.

"Congratulations, Buffy." Thaurron cut a small piece of roast boar and held it up without looking, as if a practiced habit. The imp hovering nearby deftly grabbed the meat and popped it into his small mouth. "I'm sure you'll enjoy your time at the University." The mer had a square face and unlined forehead that rose to meet a sharp widow's peak of hair that was the color of our morning sweet rolls. His head was bookended by large pointed ears like mine, but his hairstyle made no attempt to minimize them.

"Thank you Thaurron." The bowl of crab stew was too hot, so I lowered my spoon. "I must tell you, I'm fascinated by your imp." After filling the silver goblet in front of me with Tamika's, I took a sip of the wonderfully fruity wine.

"Oh, Sparky?" the wood elf chuckled, his small eyes dancing with pride. "It's a family talent. You should enjoy meeting my brother, Thernd. He keeps half a dozen or more working imps. Uses them to patrol the Valley of Horses, just below the gate to the Arcane University." Thaurron examined the piece of potato his fork had just stabbed, then donated it to the lurking imp. "Therned runs the stables there, you see."

"The University has its own stables?" I chirped. "Oh, how wonderful! I've been worried about how best look after my mare while studying there."

"Thernd always was more comfortable with animals than people." Thaurron's face briefly disappeared behind a large mug of ale. After wiping the froth from his mouth and issuing a gentle burp, he continued. "The boar is wonderful tonight. How's your stew?"

I gently blew across a hot spoonful as I lifted it to my lips. Nodding my verdict, I prompted, "Tell me more about the stables."

"When we were students there, Thernd spent more time with his horse than his arcane education." The Bosmer tore off a piece of bread for himself and pushed the loaf my way. "He hated the fact that the Chestnut Handy Stables were so far from the University. After the horses of a couple students went missing there, he discontinued his studies and opened his own stables just for mages. Equestria, he calls it. You won't find a nicer place to board your horse."

"That sounds perfect." I plucked a small piece of crab from my stew. "May I?"

Thaurron smiled and nodded.

I held up the morsel to Sparky, and he hovered over to snatch it from my fingers. "Does he like strawberries?"

This post has been edited by Acadian: Aug 9 2010, 12:22 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Remko
post Aug 6 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #139

Finder
Group Icon

I have a feeling at this rate the different mages guild chapters will be fighting to have Buffy in their midst wink.gif

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 6 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #140

Ancient
Group Icon

An all new chapter I see, and it starts with Carahil wanting Buffy to lift her blouse! Hot! cmok.gif

Awww, she only healed Buffy. sad.gif

Bufffy got to give a lecture? It is Professor Buffy now! I was expecting her to teach the others how to do her Call of the Corsair.

And finally a bit of racism at our poor wood elf. I like how you tied her mulling that over with her thoughts about Savlian.

Sparky and Thaurron were cool. Nice to see a male Bosmer who is not annoying! biggrin.gif Plus the whole idea of having an imp for a pet is just so neat.

So I believe this means that the next time we see Buffy, she will be wearing a brand new green bag courtesy of Raminus Polus? wink.gif

nits
Part of me chaffed at being ordered
I think you wanted chafed.

Not that I'm interested those Imperials
I think Buffy was so out of sorts from the Imperial's racism that she missed some words. Should it have been:
Not that I'm interested in what those Imperials think

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 6 2010, 05:02 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 12:13 AM