6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General RPG discussions
mirocu
post Mar 26 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yeah.... A general RPG discussion thread in the General RPG Discussion section blink.gif

Basically the idea here is to discuss RPGs in general (duh! rollinglaugh.gif) So if we want to compare RPGs with each other and/or the elements within the term we can do that here smile.gif

To quote a very good RPG; Please, share your thoughts smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Mar 26 2014, 03:21 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 26 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

*Sniffs*...My title would have been swaggy-er...

Aaaaamywho...

Soooo, about these long-term games...And I'm looking mostly at you Crow-Boy and Acadian...

If you do all the dungeon-farming, each time they respawn...What do you do with all the loot?...Does it respawn too?...And do you sell it all, or keep loads of it in yer houses?...

I remember Nordy-Boy's house in Bruma being so full of books and weapons/armour...And I had nowhere near your level of hours...

Anyone else with long-duration games?...On any other RPG besides the Elder Scrolls ones?...How do you fill the time in?...
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 26 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Well, as far as I´m concerned Lothran rarely goes dungeon-diving anymore and he almost never collect any loot save from Flawless gems and the like. He prefers the outdoors and the open sky now and he has no real need for the Septims except when he wants to recharge his weapons smile.gif

As for Fallout 3, I collect everything that isn´t nailed down or blown to kingdom come laugh.gif Not that long ago I passed 100.000 caps and have since gathered another 10.000 and tons of loot. And I very much like dungeon-diving here, if not to find a rare piece of something I overlooked before smile.gif

And yes, I´m sure your title would have been snassier.. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Mar 26 2014, 10:28 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 26 2014, 11:36 PM
Post #4

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Mar 26 2014, 02:21 PM) *
... Soooo, about these long-term games...And I'm looking mostly at you Crow-Boy and Acadian...
If you do all the dungeon-farming, each time they respawn...What do you do with all the loot?...Does it respawn too?...And do you sell it all, or keep loads of it in yer houses?...
I remember Nordy-Boy's house in Bruma being so full of books and weapons/armour...And I had nowhere near your level of hours...
Anyone else with long-duration games?...On any other RPG besides the Elder Scrolls ones?...How do you fill the time in?...

I guess Buffy qualifies here. Her total game time is 3,670 hours (her first game was 1000 hours and her current game is at 2670).

Buffy loves traveling outdoors, visiting her friends all over Cyrodiil, Elseweyr and the SI, and simply adores clearing dungeons. In fact, she gets cranky if she doesn’t get to use her bow – and the powerful weapon wasn’t exactly made to hunt rabbit and deer.

The type of loot she picks up is extremely limited:
-Gold coins
-Scrolls, soul gems and difficult/dangerous to acquire alchemy ingredients to help the MG retail shops with their stock.
-Master alchemy gear – she donates that to the MG.
-Flawless gems and gold/silver nuggets just because she likes shinies. She sells those as well.

Any 'artifacts' she comes across are donated to the Mystic Archives. Buffy actually collects very little (her large wardrobe notwithstanding).

The MG issues her grand soul gems to fully fill – she is one of the few mages with the stones to perform that dangerous task. She also is largely responsible for the fact that the MG’s cartography department produces the most accurate maps in Tamriel.

Just a note here. Buffy lives in a post Oblivion crisis world, but it is Sir Mazoga who is the Champion of Cyrodiil. Similarly, the Graymarch has evicted Sheogorath from his throne, but a fellow MG guild mate who is quite a bit more eccentric than Buffy (Henantier) rules the Shivering Isles. She also freely travels into other provinces – most notably, Elsweyr.

As voracious as she is in her adventures, she does indeed garner quite a good income. Every stable hand in Cyrodiil can attest to how generous she is when providing for the care of her precious mare. She also goes through a fair number of outfits and arrows – and with her tastes and demanding lifestyle, that gobbles up plenty of gold. As a Knight of the Lamp for the MG, she earns a small stipend from her guild (and more importantly, pays no dues) and enjoys use of an apartment upstairs in the Mystic Archives. She sold her Bravil house, so no longer has any property tax bills.

Loads of her gold was donated to Countess Kvatch to help with the rebuilding of Kvatch. And she is the financial sponsor of the 'Heroes of Kvatch' graveyard on the western edge of Kvatch plateau. That is the final resting place of Savlian Matius and a fair number of his victorious army.

Between the beauty around her on the roads and in the wilderness, and neverending challenge of clearing dungeons, it quite simply never gets old. happy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 27 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I have followed dear Buffy for quite some time and I feel honoured for the opportunity smile.gif Can´t imagine a better friend to have along in my travels even if her attention span is, quite like herself, pretty short wink.gif

I must bring up Deus Ex and Street Gangs, also known as River City Ransom. While they are not full-fledged RPGs they do contain elements of it where you can become stronger or better at certain things of your choosing. In Deus Ex you spend XP to raise your skills in handguns, lockpicking, running etc and in Street Gangs you eat different kind of food to make you hit, kick or throw harder and maybe get better at taking abuse. That makes for some shifting gaming experience, especially in Deus Ex where you can be a sniper capable of taking out targets from miles away, or become an expert in explosives. You can´t become the best in all areas here simply because there´s not enough XP, so you have to plan ahead and know what you want to focus on.

This post has been edited by mirocu: Mar 27 2014, 09:16 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 27 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

They sound fun...

Are they hard games?...Make much money?...Although...What is it you actually do?...

As me old chum Treydog was (is) pretty much hooked on Borderlands 2...I did try it out...And failed miserably...Like I said elsewhere, repeatedly dying is not for me...I haven't the patience...But as Treydog and McBoy really enjoy it...It's likely to be my failings that stop me enjoying it as much as they do...

Ooooh, so what you're saying, Acadian, is that Mods enhance the game so much it's possible to extend the life of it by a huge order... laugh.gif ...

Do you (does anyone?) keep track of/make note of where you've been, so that you don't wind up in the same dungeon far too soon after clearing it more recently than others?...

I do loves me Assassin's...They tried to make it a bit of an RPG with AC4 and the pirate life...Not quite there, but it was still a beautiful game though...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Mar 29 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Mar 27 2014, 01:00 PM) *

As me old chum Treydog was (is) pretty much hooked on Borderlands 2...I did try it out...And failed miserably...Like I said elsewhere, repeatedly dying is not for me...I haven't the patience...But as Treydog and McBoy really enjoy it...It's likely to be my failings that stop me enjoying it as much as they do...

Ah, Borderlands 2, now there's a fun FPS. Though it sounds like your experience with it is similar to mine with Oblivion laugh.gif

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Mar 27 2014, 01:00 PM) *

I do loves me Assassin's...They tried to make it a bit of an RPG with AC4 and the pirate life...Not quite there, but it was still a beautiful game though...

I quite liked what they did with AC: Brotherhood, where you could recruit and train assassins, which was fairly RPgish, but they lost me with Revelations. That game completely failed to grab me, and I just found it dull and tedious. It's a shame really, because prior to that I loved the series.

I think I'll have to take a crack at Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements. I picked it up for about £2, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. A quick look through the manual makes it sound fairly promising, think I'll go mage...

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 8 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

Fair dues, I'd really forgotten how much I loved Oblivion...No, I mean properly love it...

None of the other RPGs (although I admit to only having a few to compare) bar Fallout 3 come anywhere close to the joyous feeling I get wandering around in Cyrodiil...I really have missed this game...

In terms of ranking the joyous experiences (As in, how happy I feel simply wandering and playing the game) in the worlds of the ones I've got, it would have to be thusly...

1 Oblivion

2 Fallout 3

3...Um...Oh yeah...Kingdoms of Amalur

4 Fallout New Vegas

5 Skyrim...

How's about some of the others that others have played...Do they encourage wandering and such like?...

I've never played Dragon's Dogma outside of the demo, does anyone else know whether that's any good?...I've kinda avoided it as it's rumoured to be quite hard in places...And I don't do hard games that are frustrating... laugh.gif tongue.gif ...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 8 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

I know what you mean about Oblivion. Over at Bethsoft I likened it to sinking into a nice, comfy armchair.

I have to query number 3 on your list. Kingdoms of Amalur? I tried that game but it just got so repetitive, it had some good features, I liked how you were given a choice when it came to completing the questlines, or some of them at least, but it didn't really manage to grab me.

As for Dragon's Dogma, heh one of the things people criticised most about it is that you have to walk everywhere. They changed it in the Dark Arisen expansion, but it's an option they give you to avoid walking, so at least they changed it properly.

It's a damn good game, a fantastic attempt at real time combat in a party based game. The AI companion can be a bit thick at times, but the story's good, the combat's good and solid, and, best of all in my opinion, all the magic oriented classes handle completely differently.

That said, at times that game can be hard as nails. I never played the demo though, so I 'm afraid I can't tell you what it's like in relation to it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Apr 8 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #10

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Apr 8 2014, 12:21 PM) *

I know what you mean about Oblivion. Over at Bethsoft I likened it to sinking into a nice, comfy armchair.

I have to query number 3 on your list. Kingdoms of Amalur? I tried that game but it just got so repetitive, it had some good features, I liked how you were given a choice when it came to completing the questlines, or some of them at least, but it didn't really manage to grab me.

As for Dragon's Dogma, heh one of the things people criticised most about it is that you have to walk everywhere. They changed it in the Dark Arisen expansion, but it's an option they give you to avoid walking, so at least they changed it properly.

It's a damn good game, a fantastic attempt at real time combat in a party based game. The AI companion can be a bit thick at times, but the story's good, the combat's good and solid, and, best of all in my opinion, all the magic oriented classes handle completely differently.

That said, at times that game can be hard as nails. I never played the demo though, so I 'm afraid I can't tell you what it's like in relation to it.

I agree on both points. Kingdom of Amalur was a pretty good game that unfortunately did get repetitive after a few hours. I did think that the storyline and environments were entertainingly different from most other games though. The world is giant and the lore is interesting. It is pretty cheap now so given the cost, I'd say buy it.

Dragon's Dogma was excellent but as noted by half of the people who played it, walking everywhere gets tiring. You can sprint short distances but it uses up the same energy you have for combat so if you wander into a big fight after running (which happens often) then you're going to be in rough shape.

The game is also extremely difficult at times and will require grinding lesser enemies to level up high enough to survive during the random enemy difficulty jumps. For instance you'll get to a point where you can kill lots of things that have pestered you through the whole game with ease but then you walk into another dungeon and everything inside is extremely tough and will kick your backside. The good thing about this game is that it is rather large and keeps you busy for a while, there are also plenty of side quests to keep you going. The three classes are excellent in that they handle so differently, if you choose a specialization, it even plays a lot different than the base classes.

Most interesting of all however is the pawn system. Each player creates a "pawn" who will follow the player though the game as what more or less amounts to their personal sidekick. The pawns will gain experience which can be distributed to skills like most RPG's but unlike most games the pawns will also gain knowledge of quests and enemies that will make them more effective companions.

The player will also enter an area known as "the rift" and choose two other pawns that were created and customized by other players to help them their journeys. There are thousands of pawns with different skill sets, looks, and experiences that can be extremely helpful to you. You can change your secondary pawns at any time (just find a rift stone) to suit your needs for particular quests or enemies. It is an incredibly unique and well designed system that makes this game one of the most memorable RPG's I've played in a long time.

The enemies are incredibly varied, the story is entertaining, and replayability IMO is very good. I would however pick up the newer version that allows for a sort of fast travel system to be more easily implemented. It isn't like ES fast travel so don't worry, you'll set stones that cost money that will allow you to warp to that place using crystals that you also pay for. No free rides here. laugh.gif

The base game also has these but they're much more rare and expensive.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 10 2014, 06:19 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

I've seen the two-in-one package about the place...Perhaps if I start small, y'know...Baby-steps and all... biggrin.gif ...

It does sound a pretty good game, just hard...

Just to show how arsey I am with it...I just got stuck in a poison trap in Sardavar Leed...I got very frustrated as I was over-encumbered and out of magic...I was unimpressed muchly...And that's just a minor annoyance...I just don't do frustration in games well, at all... kvleft.gif ...

Oh, Thorny...The demo had you creating yours and your top pawn's characters...then there was a bit of a dungeon crawl and fighting some lion-esque thing, maybe...I'm unsure about that, I think it was lion-ish anyways...Then that bit finished and you could play this other bit where there's a city in the distance and you and your party have to take down a Gryffon thing...It was flying about anyways...That was about it...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 10 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 10 2014, 06:19 AM) *

I've seen the two-in-one package about the place...Perhaps if I start small, y'know...Baby-steps and all... biggrin.gif ...

It does sound a pretty good game, just hard...

Just to show how arsey I am with it...I just got stuck in a poison trap in Sardavar Leed...I got very frustrated as I was over-encumbered and out of magic...I was unimpressed muchly...And that's just a minor annoyance...I just don't do frustration in games well, at all... kvleft.gif ...

If you're thinking of getting it, defintely get the Dark Arisen version. That expansion can't be gotten seperately, so they resold the game with it built in.

It's a fantastic game, and some of the difficulty can be dealt with by setting up the party properly, and most importantly your pawn. You have a greater degree of control over how they act, nothing direct, but you can adjust their behaviour.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 10 2014, 08:33 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, it's pretty cheap in Tescos and places like that... smile.gif ...

Oi'll have a look next time we're about...Even if I don't play it straight away, at least it'll be in the house, and that's a start... biggrin.gif ...

Likely I'll be the Knight-ish one again...Ooooh, look! A sword and a shield!...Magic some?...Yes please!...CHAAARGE!!... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 10 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Apr 10 2014, 08:33 PM) *

Well, it's pretty cheap in Tescos and places like that... smile.gif ...

Oi'll have a look next time we're about...Even if I don't play it straight away, at least it'll be in the house, and that's a start... biggrin.gif ...

Likely I'll be the Knight-ish one again...Ooooh, look! A sword and a shield!...Magic some?...Yes please!...CHAAARGE!!... biggrin.gif ...

I'd recommend the Mystic Knight class then. All the fun of a sword and board warrior, with special magic tailored to match. biggrin.gif

Of course, you'll have to wait a while to get it, but it's tonnes of fun.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Apr 10 2014, 08:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 12 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

Hey everyone. I just discovered that Gog.com is giving away the original Mount and Blade for free. Yep, for free, and as always, with no DRM. It is an old game, but with that price, it is definitely worth the download.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 13 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 12 2014, 10:35 PM) *
Hey everyone. I just discovered that Gog.com is giving away the original Mount and Blade for free. Yep, for free, and as always, with no DRM. It is an old game, but with that price, it is definitely worth the download.

I know I should be happy about this, but mostly I'm annoyed that I got NWN2 for full price about a week ago, and now it's 60% off.

I'm just hoping they'll do a deal for Divinity: Original Sin. That game looks amazing.
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 13 2014, 06:04 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, I've no idea if it'll run on my laptop, but since it's free...

*Downloads*

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Nov 16 2014, 03:37 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 13 2014, 12:04 PM) *

*Downloads*

I think the original M&B would run on a literal potato.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 16 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rohirrim @ Nov 16 2014, 02:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 13 2014, 12:04 PM) *

*Downloads*

I think the original M&B would run on a literal potato.

Hey man, potatoes are powerful things. You can run GLaDOS on a potato rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 13 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #20

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Mar 27 2014, 02:00 PM) *

They sound fun...

Are they hard games?...Make much money?...Although...What is it you actually do?...

Oh, my. How did I overlook this? ohmy.gif

They´re not difficult games per say. But you gotta be a bit careful and especially in Deus Ex (PC) you really have to plan your moves. I have a thread discussing Deus Ex in more detail if yer interested smile.gif

Street Gangs is a beat ´em up for the NES. I see it as the perfect version of the Double Dragon games and I highly recommend it. The least RPG-y of these two games but it still has an element of it.
You get money in both but not nearly as much as you can get in Beth´s games. In Street Gangs you use the money to buy books and food which act as upgrades so that you hit harder and get up faster if you get knocked down. In Deus Ex you use it mainly to buy ammo and information.

Sorry for the delayed reply... embarrased.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:24 PM