9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim CK Experimenting, Post Your CK Fun Here:
ghastley
post Aug 24 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #121

Councilor
Group Icon

Now the Argonian Hearthfires is just about done - I should be uploading it to the Nexus soon - I'm starting to decide on the next one.

Khajiits need something, but the majority in the game are nomadic, so I'm looking at the idea of a custom carriage/cart instead of a house. I noticed both a touring carriages mod (moving carriages to replace the "fast travel" variety) and a "gypsy" house on wheels mod that's a mobile camp-site.

I'm considering something in between. This would be a one-person cart to carry goods, covered, and with configuration options you can change in-game, so you can sleep in the back, store things in it, etc. No forge, no mannequins, but maybe a realistic trader's wagon, that serves as a mobile home. I'm assuming a Khajiit with a spouse and kids would find a conventional house as a base, so no provision for them.

There are already animations for driver and passenger to enter/exit and use a cart. There doesn't seem to be anything for hitching/unhitching the horse, just a script function to link them that apparently instantly moves the horse. The trees on the cart are fixed, and the only parts that animate are the wheels and the front axle. The fixed trees may be the reason for the lack of horse entry/exit animations. That may mean a fade-out while it happens.

To make it a bit more interesting, the cart would need to be purchased from a wainwright who's retired because he lost his tools to bandits. I.e. a few radiant fetch quests with the tools as quest items. Saw, hammer, spokeshave/drawknife, perhaps more. Need to decide where he lives and works (once he has his tools back). Minor town would be best, maybe Rorikstead has most open space nearby.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 25 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #122

Master
Group Icon

What a wonderful idea! I've been thinking about RPing a Khajiit trader in Skyrim sometime in the future. I know the gypsy cart you speak of - I liked the concept, but found the details a bit overwhelming and unrealistic. If you are shooting for something simpler I'd definitely watch this space (or whatever new thread you create for this mod).

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 25 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #123

Councilor
Group Icon

A lot will depend on whether I can find a good way to re-configure the cart (it may need "animations" in the nif to hide/show parts) so that you can sleep it, haul goods in it, at different times. A removable canopy would work the same way.

I noted that Khajiits using carts have a run of bad luck in the game. There are two sets of dead ones, and a third instance of a bandit ambush that kills them as a random encounter. If other people notice that, it might not make a popular mod! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 25 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #124

Councilor
Group Icon

Ha ha, you’re right about the bad luck! Uh oh! laugh.gif

Wow, another awesome ghastley mod idea. Particularly suited to Khajiit, but an itinerant merchant of any race (such as a Redguard in your Alik'r heavy armor hehe.gif ) would be overjoyed with a real cart or wagon as a mobile home base. Yay for no mannequins, I’m still scarred from my last incident with them!

I have JK’s Rorikstead and Expanded Towns and Cities Rorikstead already installed (in separate profiles) if you want me to screenshot any sites to check for compatibility for your wainwright. Your quest idea sounds great, and much more satisfying than a straight-out purchase.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 25 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #125

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 22 2015, 01:12 PM) *

Note that it will get updated whenever I think of anything else, so just keep the link, rather than downloading the page. Some of it may need correcting! laugh.gif

I just added a note about adding items and the need to start a new game for testing. And updated it again to fix typo's, thus making some new ones, ... tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Thank you so much for this, Ghastley!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 25 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #126

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 24 2015, 10:26 AM) *

Now the Argonian Hearthfires is just about done - I should be uploading it to the Nexus soon - I'm starting to decide on the next one.

Khajiits need something, but the majority in the game are nomadic, so I'm looking at the idea of a custom carriage/cart instead of a house. I noticed both a touring carriages mod (moving carriages to replace the "fast travel" variety) and a "gypsy" house on wheels mod that's a mobile camp-site.

I'm considering something in between. This would be a one-person cart to carry goods, covered, and with configuration options you can change in-game, so you can sleep in the back, store things in it, etc. No forge, no mannequins, but maybe a realistic trader's wagon, that serves as a mobile home. I'm assuming a Khajiit with a spouse and kids would find a conventional house as a base, so no provision for them.

There are already animations for driver and passenger to enter/exit and use a cart. There doesn't seem to be anything for hitching/unhitching the horse, just a script function to link them that apparently instantly moves the horse. The trees on the cart are fixed, and the only parts that animate are the wheels and the front axle. The fixed trees may be the reason for the lack of horse entry/exit animations. That may mean a fade-out while it happens.

To make it a bit more interesting, the cart would need to be purchased from a wainwright who's retired because he lost his tools to bandits. I.e. a few radiant fetch quests with the tools as quest items. Saw, hammer, spokeshave/drawknife, perhaps more. Need to decide where he lives and works (once he has his tools back). Minor town would be best, maybe Rorikstead has most open space nearby.

Like "Carah's Caravan Redux" from Oblivion?

http://static-1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/101/...-1364837975.jpg

http://static-1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/101/...-1366657579.jpg

Interior:

http://blog-imgs-31-origin.fc2.com/o/b/l/o...i/caravan07.jpg

http://www.egg-of-time.us/downloads/obli/h...der/c/ccr01.jpg

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 25 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #127

Councilor
Group Icon

Started a new thread, and got a new idea that will simplify making the mod (no dialog required). smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 25 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #128

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 25 2015, 11:26 AM) *

I noted that Khajiits using carts have a run of bad luck in the game. There are two sets of dead ones, and a third instance of a bandit ambush that kills them as a random encounter. If other people notice that, it might not make a popular mod! ohmy.gif

Holy Cow, what is up with that? (Stormcloaks taking pot shots?) laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 25 2015, 06:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 16 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #129

Councilor
Group Icon

On my Orc Hearthfires mod, I've had to warn a couple of users that waiting for a courier doesn't work, so I thought I'd make a note here, so it doesn't get lost.

The way the courier quest works in Skyrim is that the event of the player changing location triggers a quest script to look in the "postbox" to see if there's anything to deiver. If any quest has added an item the container, then the courier is spawned near the player and runs up and delivers it.

That means that waiting for a courier when you expect one, is the one thing that's guaranteed to avoid him. He won't spawn until you travel to a different location, and cause the ChangeLocation event for the Story Manager to pass on. Locations are a bit of a vague concept, as the whole of Skyrim is one, and contains child locations for each hold, which contain... but entering or leaving a walled city is definitely always a location change.

There appears to be a point where the courier gives up, and the quest cancels, only to restart when you change location again (there's still a pending item in the container). That means you can't SQV WICourier and get much useful info. Just keep roaming around, and he'll come eventually.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 17 2015, 04:49 AM
Post #130

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 16 2015, 03:43 PM) *

On my Orc Hearthfires mod, I've had to warn a couple of users that waiting for a courier doesn't work, so I thought I'd make a note here, so it doesn't get lost.

The way the courier quest works in Skyrim is that the event of the player changing location triggers a quest script to look in the "postbox" to see if there's anything to deiver. If any quest has added an item the container, then the courier is spawned near the player and runs up and delivers it.

That means that waiting for a courier when you expect one, is the one thing that's guaranteed to avoid him. He won't spawn until you travel to a different location, and cause the ChangeLocation event for the Story Manager to pass on. Locations are a bit of a vague concept, as the whole of Skyrim is one, and contains child locations for each hold, which contain... but entering or leaving a walled city is definitely always a location change.

There appears to be a point where the courier gives up, and the quest cancels, only to restart when you change location again (there's still a pending item in the container). That means you can't SQV WICourier and get much useful info. Just keep roaming around, and he'll come eventually.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 20 2015, 12:24 AM
Post #131

Councilor
Group Icon

I did my first bit of modding in Claire's game .... simple stuff. I put a "trash barrel" inside of Breezehome. This is a barrel which respawns, making it seem like if Claire puts something in there, Lucia will eventually take the trash out. smile.gif I got this idea from an Oblivion mod. Breezehome is also very dark, I've noticed, so I tried adding some candles to Claire's bedroom. These don't add much light, so I'm going to try to find something grander. Maybe even a candelabra.

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 20 2015, 12:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 20 2015, 01:13 AM
Post #132

Councilor
Group Icon

Woo, congratulations, Renee! That is awesome! smile.gif

The candles and the actual lights are separate items in the Creation Kit. Can you see the pale yellow-whitish looking lightbulb shaped things floating in the air? If not try hitting the M key to turn marker view on so you can see them. If you copy one of those and move it near the candle, the candle will look like it’s giving off light. (Just be careful not to add too many light sources, because problems.)

I think that making a living space with a character is some of the best fun in the game! happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 21 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #133

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh hey, thanks. Yeah, I read something about ambient light and the way it works, but i haven't gotten that far in my CK studying yet, to really make it have an effect. I'm actually learning the Oblivion CS, not the Skyrim CK, but the two programs have enough similarites (so far) that I've been able to take what I learn from TES4, and use it in Skyrim. Anyways, I'll look for that lightbulb thingie next time I'm gaming & building.

I think that making a living space with a character is some of the best fun in the game!

It really makes a difference. Like combining the building abilities of Sims with Skyrim, sort of. I can't wait to mess around with some Hearthfire homes.

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 21 2015, 01:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 23 2015, 03:45 AM
Post #134

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 21 2015, 08:51 AM) *

I think that making a living space with a character is some of the best fun in the game!

Me too, and playing IN them after making them makes the game that much more fun! (imho)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 28 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #135

Councilor
Group Icon

I have added a Spare Bed inside of Dragonsreach's Living Quarters. My arrogant high elf, Master Baytor, is "above" paying for some room in a noisy inn, so I added this bed, with the idea that the people of Dragonsreach finally give in, and let him crash in their precious home.

See, this is the sort of thing I used to have to "pretend" on Xbox. Ha ha ha!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 28 2015, 01:06 AM
Post #136

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 27 2015, 08:04 PM) *

I have added a Spare Bed inside of Dragonsreach's Living Quarters. My arrogant high elf, Master Baytor, is "above" paying for some room in a noisy inn, so I added this bed, with the idea that the people of Dragonsreach finally give in, and let him crash in their precious home.

See, this is the sort of thing I used to have to "pretend" on Xbox. Ha ha ha!

Now Misa will sneak into his room and watch, BWAAHAA!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 28 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #137

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay Renee! That sounds perfect for him.

I have a mod of most of my added NPCs with them placed in the world that I use in most of my games. However there are a few NPCs that I’d like to add just in some games for specific purposes, but I don’t want to create a bunch of separate mod clutter for them. I’m thinking that I could create them in my existing NPC mod but not place them, instead using placeatme to spawn them and then using whatever follower or re-homing mods I have active to move them where they need to go in that game. Is there any reason not to do it that way? This is just for me, so I’m not worried about what potential mod users will think.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 28 2015, 03:54 AM
Post #138

Councilor
Group Icon

Stick your NPCs in a holding cell and move them. Then they keep the same RefIDs, and are easier to work with, plus you can't accidentally spawn more than one copy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Oct 28 2015, 03:58 AM
Post #139

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, that’s what I’ll do then. Thank you, ghastley! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 17 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #140

Councilor
Group Icon

Most of my CK adventures lately have been on Jerric’s behalf. Dar-Ma and Rhano have made their separate ways to Skyrim. Rhano is traveling with Jerric right now. I’ve create some new enchantments so that Jerric can wear his ring of Hump You Fetching Mages (spell absorption), the Jewel of the Rumare (waterbreathing and fortify carry weight), and a Talos amulet given to him by a brother Blade from his story in his Skyrim games.

The most rewarding development took about a year of fiddling before a simple solution presented itself. Jerric has carried Buffy’s gift Jerric’s Stone with him since the moment he opened the package. Now with a single keystroke he has the ability to use it in his game to fully recharge his magicka. It takes a day for Jerric’s Stone to naturally refill itself with magicka, so using it is a once-per-day Greater Power in game terms. So now when I put up a screenshot of Jerric healing himself or flinging that fatal burst of frost with a swirl of blue surrounding him, that’s Buffy’s gift to the rescue! happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:13 AM