> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
Decrepit
post Jul 11 2019, 01:42 AM
Post #3721

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 10 2019, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 10 2019, 02:21 PM) *

Ffestiniog Railway – Driver’s Eye View – Blaenau Ffestiniog to Porthmadog (Wales). An hour-long narrow-gauge steam train excursion through magnificent landscape. This is the sort of route I'd love to be able to reproduce in Transport Fever. An added bonus for me..it's filmed in the train-side view camera position I prefer to use in my TpF Scenic Excursions episodes. I'm sure some here will find this boring. Me, I eat it up.

That one brought back memories. When I rode on the Ffestiniog, it was only open up to Dduallt, because they hadn't done the Deviation yet. I was good to see the top end route, which I'd only seen on a bicycle before.

You're a lucky to have so much RL exposure to this sort of thing. Me, not so much. Born in 1951 I theoretically had a chance to witness steam in action as a lad. As luck would have it, the Cotton Belt Line that ran through our town was among the nation's first, if not THE first, to mothball its entire steam roster. I never saw a one. I did finally experience live steam in the early/mid seventies, during a brief (several days) stay in Southeast Asia early in my military career. Near the end of that career I was stationed in Japan and enjoyed traveling via their (then?) excellent rail commuter network. Lots of fun, but not steam.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 14 2019, 01:58 AM
Post #3722

Ancient
Group Icon

Since it is 2019 - the year Bladerunner takes place - I am watching it again. This time I have The Final Cut, on 4k. The video quality is good, much better than I thought such an old movie would be after upscaling it to 4k. Of course you can still see where they used cgi. But it is not as glaring as most pre-4k movies are. In fact, the arcology shots still look really good. The scene where they first introduce Sean Young did have some visual blurriness however. Which is surprising, since there was no cg. Typically the ordinary stuff of people's faces and the like are what looks best in 4k.

The music is excellent. Vangelis, so no surprise.

I am not sure what else to say that has not already been said. It is a classic cyberpunk film. So much of it makes me think of Shadowrun. It is nice seeing it again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 19 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #3723

Master
Group Icon

2020 can't get here fast enough.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 21 2019, 12:49 AM
Post #3724

Ancient
Group Icon

I am watching The Mist. A fun movie up until the ending. I have learned to just shut it off at that point. I liked the short story it was based on too. It is a good Weird Fiction/Horror tale. I think it falls in the Weird category because you never find out what created the mist, or where the monsters came from, or really what they are. It leaves you filled with questions and uncertainties.

This time out I am recognizing more people than ever before. Not just the leads like Thomas Jane and Andre Braugher and Lori Holden of course. Or even William Sadler or Frances Sternhagen. But this time I recognized Sam Witwer. And the guy who played The Shermanator from the American Pie movies. And Alexa Davalos. Oh, and Toby Jones (Dr. Zola!).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jul 29 2019, 02:18 AM
Post #3725

Master
Group Icon

Spartacus.

Now I get why my beloved sidepiece DEe DEe the Gothic Loli is so inspired by all these well-oiled, muscular fighting men! The violence is so super hyper, reminiscent of 300; kinda unlearned in regards to some of the unarmed aspects but they do shine sometimes (triangle holds and flying armbars). The story is surprisingly hooking. The way they talk too is so ... archaically hilarious.

“The gods spread cheeks for further ramming!”

RIP to the first boi who played Spartacus in the first seasons tho.

The new pup has yet to prove chops of acting ability to convince heart.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 29 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #3726

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jul 28 2019, 09:18 PM) *

Spartacus.

Now I get why my beloved sidepiece DEe DEe the Gothic Loli is so inspired by all these well-oiled, muscular fighting men! The violence is so super hyper, reminiscent of 300; kinda unlearned in regards to some of the unarmed aspects but they do shine sometimes (triangle holds and flying armbars). The story is surprisingly hooking. The way they talk too is so ... archaically hilarious.

“The gods spread cheeks for further ramming!”

This has to be the best revue of a movie I've ever seen!!! rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Jul 29 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #3727

Master
Group Icon

Remove laugh from mouth and watch the show with me.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 29 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #3728

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 21 2019, 01:49 AM) *

I am watching The Mist. A fun movie up until the ending. I have learned to just shut it off at that point. I liked the short story it was based on too. It is a good Weird Fiction/Horror tale. I think it falls in the Weird category because you never find out what created the mist, or where the monsters came from, or really what they are. It leaves you filled with questions and uncertainties.

Very much agreed. For being a Stephen King movie it's really good, even though it has the classic King stereotypes like the Bible nut (who I wanted to punch in the face SO HARD). Extra fun for me is recognizing the crack shot who also played the sometimes occuring coroner in Midsomer Murders smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 4 2019, 03:50 PM
Post #3729

Master
Group Icon

Another railway ride-along from me. Continental rather than British, not steam. The latter matters little as we're inside the 'cab,' thus don't see any of the loco.

Driver's Eye View - Horná Štubňa to Prievidza

SubRosa mentions Bladerunner several posts ago. That's another film, in some sense akin to Brazil, I saw decades ago and was not overly impressed by. (I believe this was when you could still rent movies on Laser Disc.) I recall it's suffered a number of 'edits' during its life. Might research this 'Final Cut' and acquire it depending on the outcome. Maybe it'll totally revise my opinion, as is the case with Brazil?????

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 14 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #3730

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished with The Hobbit trilogy. This time around I was struck by the inspiration that Tolkien obviously took from the Volsung Saga, specifically from the cursed Rhinegold therin. Or should I say, thorin? wink.gif

Next up, maybe I will delve into the appendices. Or go straight to LOTR.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2019, 12:11 AM
Post #3731

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched some of the appendices for the Hobbit trilogy. Then I dove into LOTR. I just finished Fellowship. I have seen this movie a thousand times now, and even know some of the dialogue word for word. But it is still enjoyable. It is like slipping into an old comfy shirt.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2019, 03:07 AM
Post #3732

Ancient
Group Icon

I just watched the first episode of The Outpost. The acting was weak, the sets were cheap, the story derivative, and the fight scenes really poorly choreographed. In other words, I found it absolutely delightful, I can't wait to see more. smile.gif

It is a fantasy adventure story. I don't know why, but I instantly got the vibe that it is like the Shannara books, in that it is set in the distant, post apocalyptic future, that turned into a fantasy world after thousands of years. But I could be completely wrong about that. I do like the world they built, it is a fun place.

I also really like the protagonist. Jessica Green has a really exotic look, with cheekbones higher than the Statue of Liberty, and eyes like blue scimitars. Her hair is an awesome array of braids. Only Senua's, from Senua's Sacrifice looked better. She is a really fun person, and I love watching her on screen.

I saw someone describe the show as a classic D&D adventure. That is spot on. The protagonist is clearly a Rogue. But it looks like she is multi-classing as a cleric or some kind of summoner. It reminds me a lot of the web series/movie Dragon Age Redemption, that Felicia Day did.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Aug 19 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #3733

Master
Group Icon

HD remastered battle scene from 'Sacrifice of Angels':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbO2MqWPoQM

I haven't had the chance to catch the 'What We Left Behind' documentary yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing more DS9 in HD.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 29 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #3734

Master
Group Icon

A most interesting video on 'cardboard' and related matters in the Lugosi "Dracula." I gotta admit, I, like the presenter, never noticed said cardboard until it was brought to my attention.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #3735

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 29 2019, 10:17 AM) *

A most interesting video on 'cardboard' and related matters in the Lugosi "Dracula." I gotta admit, I, like the presenter, never noticed said cardboard until it was brought to my attention.

I have seen that movie about a dozen times, and I never noticed it either! I went and pulled out my dvd, and there it is!

It is like the naked man who walks across the screen in the opening titles of Watchmen. I never noticed it the first 3 or 4 times I saw the movie. But once I did, I wonder how I ever missed it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 1 2019, 12:58 AM
Post #3736

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jul 29 2019, 09:27 AM) *

Remove laugh from mouth and watch the show with me.

I'll have to look for it on Netflix or something, lol.

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 29 2019, 10:17 AM) *

It is amazing to me that in my memory this was the greatest Dracula movie ever made; and that I never even noticed the continuity errors, the cardboard, the wolfbane, the terrible overdone makeup and facial expressions, etc, rollinglaugh.gif

Was I a sucker or was the writing of that one just that good? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 6 2019, 02:07 AM
Post #3737

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 31 2019, 07:58 PM) *

It is amazing to me that in my memory this was the greatest Dracula movie ever made; and that I never even noticed the continuity errors, the cardboard, the wolfbane, the terrible overdone makeup and facial expressions, etc, rollinglaugh.gif

I first saw the Lugosi version Dracula when I was wee lass myself, and it remains my favorite of all the zillion or so Draculas. I think a lot of it is just nostalgia. Lets face it, as kids we set the bar pretty low for most things in life, movies especially. But we build up fond memories of them. Then when we think of them later it brings back all those good feelings, even if the movie really was not that good after all. It still gives us the Feels. I loved all the Universal horror films when I was a child, so they still have a special place in my heart. Even if they are really not that great.

In other news, today I watched Mythica: A Quest For Heroes. It is a by the numbers D&D movie, with a wizard, a cleric, a fighter, and a thief going on a quest against an evil ogre. It was extremely low budget. The sets were rather cheap, some of the acting on the poor side, and the cgi terrible. But I loved the characters, and the costumes were awesome. Plus, nostalgia for all those gaming years of playing fantasy role playing games like D&D and Earthdawn. And of course all the CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

I recommend it to all fantasy nerds (which I imagine should be everyone here). Go into it with low expectations, and you will be entertained. There are two more Mythica movies, so I moved them up in my Netflix queue.

Interesting thing I have been noticing of late, is that when I watch fantasy movies and tv shows that have been recently made, I see less ridiculous-looking weapons and armor. In shows like this and The Outpost, the armor looks real, not overtly stylized. The same with the swords, bows, and other weapons. The swords especially are almost always RL arming swords or longswords.

I wonder if this is an influence from Game Of Thrones? One thing I did appreciate about it is that all weapons and armor were realistic, rather than over-the-top. Perhaps its popularity has led other creators to go with normal equipment, rather than the really wild stuff?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 6 2019, 03:35 AM
Post #3738

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jul 29 2019, 02:18 AM) *

Spartacus.

€œThe gods spread cheeks for further ramming!€

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Batiatus stole season 1 and the prequel for me. He was a scumbag but he was a hilarious one.

€œWhat, the gods haven€™t pissed on me enough for one day? But nooo let€™s add piss to the [censored]!€

I like the way they talk in the show. If I€™m not mistaken someone in production said Latin was phrased as such. Plus, the muscular fighting oiled men was there to attract views obviously. Women liked them, and guys hit the gym! Though historically speaking wasn’t it said the gladiators back then were strong and built, but not as muscular as a freaking Greek statue. I was under the impression they were a bit on the heavier side.

The violence was a bit over-the-top. Gods of the Arena had more grounded visuals and effects compared to the other seasons. War of the Damned and Vengeance was just meh when it came to the overwhelming shots of slow-motion. As a matter of fact I think every battle in those later seasons and a slow-mo sequence.

RIP Andy! He was the BEST Spartacus. Fantastic actor, and a very humble person.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Sep 6 2019, 03:37 AM

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 6 2019, 03:53 AM
Post #3739

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Sep 5 2019, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Jul 29 2019, 02:18 AM) *

Spartacus.

�€œThe gods spread cheeks for further ramming!�€�

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Batiatus stole season 1 and the prequel for me. He was a scumbag but he was a hilarious one.

�€œWhat, the gods haven�€™t pissed on me enough for one day? But nooo let�€™s add piss to the [censored]!�€�

I like the way they talk in the show. If I�€™m not mistaken someone in production said Latin was phrased as such. Plus, the muscular fighting oiled men was there to attract views obviously. Women liked them, and guys hit the gym! Though historically speaking wasn’t it said the gladiators back then were strong and built, but not as muscular as a freaking Greek statue. I was under the impression they were a bit on the heavier side.

The violence was a bit over-the-top. Gods of the Arena had more grounded visuals and effects compared to the other seasons. War of the Damned and Vengeance was just meh when it came to the overwhelming shots of slow-motion. As a matter of fact I think every battle in those later seasons and a slow-mo sequence.

RIP Andy! He was the BEST Spartacus. Fantastic actor, and a very humble person.

Khajiit stopped watching part way through the third season. This one liked the first season and Gods of the Arena, but just lost interest after that.

RIP Andy indeed. He was sorely missed in what little this one saw of the third season.

From what Khajiit has read, they tended to like gladiators to have a nice layer of fatty tissue. This allowed for more blood to be spilled with less chance of serious injury. Romans loved blood you know. That said, this one is sure it probably varied between individuals.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 10 2019, 05:46 AM
Post #3740

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 5 2019, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 31 2019, 07:58 PM) *

I first saw the Lugosi version Dracula when I was wee lass myself, and it remains my favorite of all the zillion or so Draculas. I think a lot of it is just nostalgia. Lets face it, as kids we set the bar pretty low for most things in life, movies especially. But we build up fond memories of them. Then when we think of them later it brings back all those good feelings, even if the movie really was not that good after all. It still gives us the Feels. I loved all the Universal horror films when I was a child, so they still have a special place in my heart. Even if they are really not that great.

In other news, today I watched Mythica: A Quest For Heroes. It is a by the numbers D&D movie, with a wizard, a cleric, a fighter, and a thief going on a quest against an evil ogre. It was extremely low budget. The sets were rather cheap, some of the acting on the poor side, and the cgi terrible. But I loved the characters, and the costumes were awesome. Plus, nostalgia for all those gaming years of playing fantasy role playing games like D&D and Earthdawn. And of course all the CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

I recommend it to all fantasy nerds (which I imagine should be everyone here). Go into it with low expectations, and you will be entertained. There are two more Mythica movies, so I moved them up in my Netflix queue.

Interesting thing I have been noticing of late, is that when I watch fantasy movies and tv shows that have been recently made, I see less ridiculous-looking weapons and armor. In shows like this and The Outpost, the armor looks real, not overtly stylized. The same with the swords, bows, and other weapons. The swords especially are almost always RL arming swords or longswords.

I wonder if this is an influence from Game Of Thrones? One thing I did appreciate about it is that all weapons and armor were realistic, rather than over-the-top. Perhaps its popularity has led other creators to go with normal equipment, rather than the really wild stuff?

I do think my bar was set low as a child; I remember being mesmerized by the Wizard of Oz for decades! Lol. But with horror movies especially; since I was never allowed to watch horror movies (so half the thrill of watching them was in doing something forbidden) - which may have helped me overlook poor makeup or over acting, lol.

I did think GoT did a fantastic job on armor and weapons too, they felt realistic and that really did help with the immersive-ness of the show!

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 10 2019, 05:52 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 185 186 187 188 189 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM