Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A question regarding AI for morrowind, how to make NPCs attack creatures.
jack cloudy
post Jul 11 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Title says it all. I want to learn how to mod so I'v taken on a rather ambitious idea. Anyway, my question regarding AI.

What I want to do is make certain NPCs attack creatures on sight, similar to what a guard does when one of those annoying Cliffracers follows you into town. The only problem is, I have no idea what to do.

According to the help file of the Construction set, an NPC attacks creatures automatically if they're of the class 'guard'. Except, my NPCs are best described as mercenaries so I don't want them to arrest the player like a guard would for all sorts of crimes.

Does anyone know what makes a guard attack creatures? Any help would be very appreciated.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pisces
post Jul 12 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

Go to character, then factions then have a look at some of the ones in there, I think it affects both disposition and attack rating; though to be honest I am just using logic, never tried it or learnt how to do it, try searching tutorials. There are buttons like evil and special combat which I don't really know what they do so perhaps tutorial is your best source.

This post has been edited by Pisces: Jul 12 2006, 03:49 AM
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 12 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Jack why don't you have a look at the guard script and just copy the part that combats invading creatures into a script for your mercenaries. Don't include any part about arresting people or other guard duties. Just make your own unique Mercenary Script of the part you want. Might work.

Yeh but like the fish said ... go into your NPCs AI button and make the fight level high and the run level nonexistent and they will fight anything. Make hello low and confidence high. That should work.

This post has been edited by Ibis: Jul 12 2006, 08:43 AM

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 12 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

I already checked the scripts but I couldn't find anything that was specifically aimed at all the guards. I'll check again. smile.gif

I haven't seen the buttons evil and special combat so I don't know what they do either. Hmm, I'll try out a few things. I've got this lovely shack placed in Seyda Neen. (Home of Ro-El the Wacky laugh.gif ) I think I can put my mercenary NPC in it together with a rat.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Toroabok
post Jul 12 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #5

Agent

thats sounds pretty cool. why are you wanting to do it though?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pisces
post Jul 13 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

Oops, when I posted I didn't realise it was in the older game forums when I responded. I'm fairly sure if you go to AI and copy the gaurds fight and alarm rating I think it might work, might not, I think you might be forced to make them guards but you can change the conversation so they don't tell the player that.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 13 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Ahem, I've tried a few things without much luck but I won't give up yet. Anyway, to answer Toroabok's question, here's the current idea for the mod.

The Mod:

When going to Seyda Neen, the player (known as PC from now on) might see a shack behind the lighthouse. Entering that shack brings the PC in contact with an angry Dremora Lord who is a servant of a Khajiit, Ro-El the Wacky.

Said Dremora is willing to transport the PC to 'the path that is no path' so said PC can drag Ro-El back to the shack. (The Dremora really doesn't like cleaning and would appreciate it if this Ro-El came to send him back to Oblivion.)

After passing the path, the PC arrives on an isolated island far away from Vvardenfell. On the island will be a couple of ruins, some more things and a castle that is under siege by the local wildlife. Said castle is held by a mercenary gang and the PC can get some quests from the self-appointed leader.

And Ro-El? Oh, he's around somewhere.

Edit: I now believe that the guard AI is hidden somewhere within the main code. I'll just make them into guards and customize their stats, skills and dialogue.

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Jul 13 2006, 08:54 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Toroabok
post Jul 18 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #8

Agent

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Jul 13 2006, 03:46 AM) *

Edit: I now believe that the guard AI is hidden somewhere within the main code. I'll just make them into guards and customize their stats, skills and dialogue.

blink.gif lol thats what Ibis said to do tongue.gif it sounds pretty cool, but you should probably relocate the shack. it should be where ppl start out in the game. then again, who hasnt played morrowind?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 18 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

Here's an idea ... to get the person playing to go behind the lighthouse and find the shack, why not strew empty matze bottles (your choice of liquor) along the ground in a somewhat obvious trail that leads behind the lighthouse? This just came to me reading your mod description again. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Aug 5 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Hi, I'm back from vacation. Time to get back to work as they say. biggrin.gif

Toroabok, Seyda Neen is the starting town. I suppose you simply forgot because there isn't much reason to return there after you leave. smile.gif

Ibis, my original idea was to add the Abandoned Shack as a topic of both villagers and guards. The villagers think it is fishy and want you to talk to the guards, the guards have got better things to do. Hmm, maybe instead of Mazte bottles, how about Colovian Fur hats? Those things look wacky. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Toroabok
post Aug 6 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #11

Agent

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Aug 5 2006, 12:46 PM) *

Hi, I'm back from vacation. Time to get back to work as they say. biggrin.gif

Toroabok, Seyda Neen is the starting town. I suppose you simply forgot because there isn't much reason to return there after you leave. smile.gif

Ibis, my original idea was to add the Abandoned Shack as a topic of both villagers and guards. The villagers think it is fishy and want you to talk to the guards, the guards have got better things to do. Hmm, maybe instead of Mazte bottles, how about Colovian Fur hats? Those things look wacky. laugh.gif

no, i meant "shouldn't". sry for the typo. i know morrowind more than that, young one.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:39 AM