> New Toon!, share your development character ideas
Renee
post Jan 30 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 29 2015, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 29 2015, 03:45 PM) *

She also had some very sick habits. She *ahemed* with dead people, for instance. indifferent.gif

Too bad she never met Persephone... laugh.gif

Why is this? Uh oh...

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 30 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 30 2015, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Jan 29 2015, 03:45 PM) *

She also had some very sick habits. She *ahemed* with dead people, for instance. indifferent.gif

Why is this? Uh oh...

Persephone is undead. She lived in the First Age. She joined The Empress Alessia's army, only to die in the battle to retake The Imperial City. She was the first and only test subject of Haides, a necromancer who was seeking to defeat death itself. He raised her from the dead, replacing her heart with one made of varla stone crystal. Haides was killed by other necromancers who had a difference in opinion about how the undead should be treated. But Persephone continued on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 30 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Paladin
Group Icon

Poor Skank. kvleft.gif

SubRosa, I did not know that Purse Phone was actually a Briarheart Varlaheart. Neat! wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 30 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

*spits tea* biggrin.gif

Renee, Sol Vayshunn is my favorite name yet. I had a great time with my Riften guard (until a mod disaster), but a Legion Rider will be even better with so much more ground to cover. There's always a new Gade toon to look forward to! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 31 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

Aww thanks Gritsy

I remember Persephone now, just from seeing that first, innocent-looking pic. What face mods did you use there?

--------------------
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Mar 27 2015, 03:03 AM
Post #26

Agent

Some of you have already seen Belladonna elsewhere. She's my newest actually played character - a custom race Illusionist/Archer with orange hair and dark purple eyes, and she's been a blast. But I've got two more I've been working on lately.

The first is something I've tried to do for a couple of years now - a female Altmer. I've just never been overly fond of Altmer, and hadn't managed to play one at all until about a year ago, when I finally put together a male Altmer that I liked. He's a barbarian named Lemdel and is currently level 12 and CoC (it's a long story).

I've tried to put together a satisfying female Altmer for a couple of years now, but with no luck. I gave it another shot a week or so ago, and when I ran up against one of the recurring problems - their poor skin tones - I decided to at least deal with that, so I spent a while doing a set of custom-tinted Altmer textures and pointing at them in the CS. And while I was at it, I finally did a set of Redguard textures and dealt with that tendency to get green faces on orange bodies.

Then I put together a near-seamless and relatively attractive Altmer and named her Elenin and... with that, I'm stumped. I have absolutely no idea what to do with her. Mage? No. Archer? No. Melee fighter? No. Battlemage? No. Thief? Um... no. Assassin? No. Paladin? No. Healer? No. Barbarian? No (one Altmer barbarian is enough). I can't even work out what she'd wear.

I'm considering skipping back from the sewer exit start and starting her at the actual beginning, just to follow through and see if I get any insight into her that way (and just for the amusement value when Baurus tells me that she's obviously a Bard). I just don't know.

Then last night, Jana was killing time at Battlehorn castle and I started rereading The Real Barenziah, and suddenly felt an urge to build a red-headed Dunmer. I already have two female Dunmer - Kyla and Maelyn - and they're both tremendous characters. Kyla's a sincerely noble person and a fierce claymore fighter, and Maelyn is a sultry and self-assured pure mage. I see the red head as... sort of scrappy, light armor, either blade or war axe, probably a bow, probably no magic to speak of. Pretty standard stealth fighter, actually. I haven't found the right face yet though.

So new... eventual toons, I guess?
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 27 2015, 03:32 AM
Post #27

Paladin
Group Icon

Gpstr - Welcome to chorrol. Nice to see you over here from the BethSoft forums. Good luck with your Altmer and Dunmer lasses as they begin adventuring in Cyrodiil!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 27 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

New toons to beat the game with! biggrin.gif Welcome to Chorrol gpstr, always good to see you.

A fiery, red-haired, elven archer? Excellent choice!

Perhaps you could try doing something different with the Altmer lass? Something you do not normally do, whatever that might be. Maybe a no-violence character who only uses command spells? Or a cleric who buffs her followers? ghastley is playing a mythic barbarian in Skyrim, perhaps doing something similar, using bound weapons and armor?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Mar 27 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

How about if Elenin was a traveling alchemist? She'd travel all over Cyrodiil, picking flowers and other ingredients and either sell them or use them to create potions and sell them. She wouldn't be really a fighter but she'd know how to defend herself.

Or if she belonged to some order, determined on preserving books which means she'd find unique and rare books and protect them from being taken/destroyed by bandits or necromancers. Then again, this requires her to do some fighting.

She might also be a tourist, I had a character with this class once but I used a custom start and he arrived by ship to the Imperial City. As the class name suggests, he was a tourist who enjoyed taking walks in the Imperial City, admiring its architecture and occasionally betting in the Arena. Eventually he was arrested for some petty crime and thrown to jail so after being released he angrily boarded the first ship that was heading back to his homeland.

Although you said that thief is out of question, it's something I have to once try with an Altmer because they're totally opposite to this class so it should be interesting.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Mar 28 2015, 12:02 AM
Post #30

Agent

Hey all... nice to see you, thanks for the responses.

I tried four different starts with Elenin last night - the beginning of the game plus three variations on TUStartingOptions, and none of them clicked. The only things I got were that I'm not interested in taking her through the MQ and I think she's going to have dark hair, high, thin dark brows and green/gold eyes.

@Lopov - I actually hesitated on thief for her when I was running through that list because it was most likely, or at least least unlikely. It was a real hesitation - not a sarcastic one. The idea of an Altmer thief is sort of appealing, if for no other reason than that the idea of someone that tall sneaking into a house is sort of amusing. But I already have an Orc thief going currently, so even that wouldn't be much of a novelty. Still though...

@SubRosa - first, just Hi. It's been a while.

I read your response this morning, and I have to say - the bound armor idea is nibbling at me. When I took her through the tutorial last night, she tried both armors and neither one clicked, just as she tried all the weapons and none of them clicked. The first alternate start was so I could try her out in clothes with a claymore, but that was too reminiscent of Jibran, and Dawn, and sort of Belladonna (though she's clothes and a bow, but still). But the idea of just clothes at least had a bit more appeal than either type of armor. I then tried it with a war axe, but that didn't click either. I considered doing a battle axe, but that's Lemdel (my male Altmer barbarian). And one of the problems with just clothes is that they either have to be heavily enchanted, which is a bit too easy in the long run, or the character has to be a notably talented and somewhat eccentric fighter (or a mage), and I don't really see her as either one. But bound stuff...

I did a character like that in Morrowind (in which it was actually gamebreakingly easy) and poked around in it a bit in Oblivion, but I haven't done a dedicated one. It'd take a bit of modding to do it right - the spell effects are just too expensive to cast for very long until later in the game, when killing stuff is easy pretty much no matter how they do it. I've always thought it'd work better if the effect "grew" with skill increases, so that instead of being limited on the number of things summoned and the duration of the summons, the character would be limited on the quality of the things (I think you did a bit of that in Witchcraft, IIRC). And then I got to thinking - if I modded it... she could be able to summon not just armor and a weapon, but some of the painfully over-the-top armor and weapons I never get a chance to use otherwise - some of the stuff like Nico's Dreadweave or Tyrael that's all spikes and blades and frills and trim, that I could never envision any actual character ever actually wearing without feeling at least a bit foolish.

I can almost envision her transforming from a simple Altmer lass into a hulking, gargantuan, Shrike-like assemblage of steel and razor wire, then rending flesh, then simply transforming back. I sort of like that idea.

I'm not sure how to balance it with the progression of items. I really don't want to start her off just being able to summon a dagger and a helm and for 10 or 15 seconds at a time. That's the wrong way to limit the power of the thing. She needs to be able to summon a full suit of armor and a full fledged weapon from the beginning, even if they're rusty iron (or the equivalent). But then I can't really do the whole hulking brute bit, or at least nowhere near as well. But maybe that'd give her something to work toward. And it sort of conflicts with the only insights I did get into her - I found I preferred her with dark eyes and brows and hair - it gave her a bit of an edge. I'm thinking to really pull off the transformation into a hulking brute thing, she needs no edge at all. She needs to look about as threatening as Ardaline.

But then again, maybe that bit of an edgy look would work - people would have the impression that she was more dangerous than they would've otherwise thought, but won't know why - there's just something about her eyes...

We'll see...
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 28 2015, 01:13 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(gpstr @ Mar 27 2015, 07:02 PM) *

I can almost envision her transforming from a simple Altmer lass into a hulking, gargantuan, Shrike-like assemblage of steel and razor wire, then rending flesh, then simply transforming back. I sort of like that idea.

Can I get her phone number? I think I am in love... laugh.gif

QUOTE(gpstr @ Mar 27 2015, 07:02 PM) *

I'm not sure how to balance it with the progression of items. I really don't want to start her off just being able to summon a dagger and a helm and for 10 or 15 seconds at a time. That's the wrong way to limit the power of the thing. She needs to be able to summon a full suit of armor and a full fledged weapon from the beginning, even if they're rusty iron (or the equivalent). But then I can't really do the whole hulking brute bit, or at least nowhere near as well. But maybe that'd give her something to work toward. And it sort of conflicts with the only insights I did get into her - I found I preferred her with dark eyes and brows and hair - it gave her a bit of an edge. I'm thinking to really pull off the transformation into a hulking brute thing, she needs no edge at all. She needs to look about as threatening as Ardaline.

I never liked the way each separate piece of bound armor was a different spell. By the time you summon an entire suit, the fight is over. That is why when I made the bound witch armor for Witchcraft I did it all in one spell. That is really the only way to go. Just make the armor and weapons of varying levels of power to go with what level you are currently at. I love the idea of modding the more fantastic gear to use as bound armor and weapons. I never liked the daedric stuff that much either. So a long time ago I took the Ice Morrigan Armor (I can't find a link to the original mod by jojo), and used it as a replacer for the bound weapons and armor in my game. The Silverlight Armor would be good for that too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Mar 28 2015, 01:54 AM
Post #32

Agent

Actually, the Silverlight Armor is the only one like that that's actually in use in my game - on Jana the Nord goddess paladin. She's the only character I've played who could actually get away with wearing something like that.

For Elenin, I'm thinking of things more along the lines of Daedric actually (and for simplicity, that's likely where I'll start) - not just over-the-top, but overtly sinister and threatening.

I'm still not sure if that's the idea, but I'll look into it some more this evening. I would think it shouldn't be any particular problem to combine all of the basic bound effects into a single lesser power and give that to her, just to try it out, and that wouldn't require editing the spell effects. If it fits, then I can work out some more details.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 28 2015, 03:16 AM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

Jana looks like a goddess to me! wub.gif

I used the Silverlight Armor for Astarte - The Last Queen of the Ayleids. I wanted something exotic and unique, because she is a person out of her own time - by 4,000 years. The Silverlight gave her a wonderful otherworldly look.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 28 2015, 03:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 28 2015, 08:50 AM
Post #34

Spam Meister
Group Icon

@gippster - She looks awesome! Like a Valkyrie but with a shield! biggrin.gif

..And no helmet or spear/sword... whatev... You get my point laugh.gif

@Rosa - Astarte look equally awesome smile.gif Though I actually didnīt remember her name.. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 28 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

I haven't forgotten about my druid idea from the OP. Matter of fact, for some reason I am wanting him to be created deep into springtime, when all the flowers start blooming in a few weeks. Seems appropriate for a character who will be a very outdoorsy type of person.

Oh, and gpster, welcome here. I used the word 'toon' in this thread's title as a sort of tongue-in-cheek joke. hehe.gif It's a word which makes me cringe, but also it makes me laugh.

Anyways, check this out. My druid guy will be well-educated. His backstory will include some sort of friction between himself, and the Nine-worshipping priests of Cyrodiil. In other words, at some point my druid will have wanted to begin worshiping some sort of nature spirits (or maybe even something more theoretical than the Nine), and will have wanted to include this sort of worship along with worshipping the Nine. One of the Brothers did not like this. He cried heresy, and blasphemy, on this subject. My druid was not entirely opposed to the Nine, but this Brother (whoever he is) was opposed to including any other form of worship.

The two had some sort of argument, which brewed over time, and eventually escalated into a fight. My druid gets a bounty, somehow. Maybe he even killed somebody by accident. However it happens, when his game starts, I'm going to use an alternate start mod to hopefully place him in some random, wilderness location, maybe with a certain set of console-added spells, since he will have been studying some magic not officially added by the vanilla game from Day 1. He will also have a bounty somewhere over 500, since he is wanted by the Law, big-time, for whatever it was he did.

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 28 2015, 06:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Mar 28 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #36

Agent

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 27 2015, 08:16 PM) *

Jana looks like a goddess to me! wub.gif
She does to me too - that's why I made her one. She's one of those characters that started with a face that I just happened on and grew from there.

The problem I ran into though is that she's just really not a goddess - she's a person who just has the grace and manner and some of the power of a goddess. So she just sort of languished until I happened on Pimpskinny's Paladin Mod, and that just fit her perfectly. It plays off of her grace and dignity and power, and actually adds to it over time, and believably, so she's actually in the process of becoming sort of goddess-like for real, beyond just looking like one.

More to the topic: I tried out a quick all-in-one bound armor and weapon mod on a quick sketch of an Elenin-like character (none of the ones I've come up with yet have been so good that I bothered to save them, so I just threw together a quick "innocuous-looking Altmer" for the test). It worked fine. I figured it would - I've played around a bit with magic effects and such, but just hadn't done anything with bound items before. And I noticed that there are a bunch of extra entries for bound items, so it'll be easy enough to add more stuff. For now though, I'm going to just let it percolate a bit - browse some over-the-top armors and weapons (I'm considering one of those gigantic swords I never bother to look at normally or something like that) and maybe poke around in the character creator and see if I find a face that speaks to me. She's close enough that I'm starting to figure her out, but this is the point at which I have to be careful - if I rush into it now, there's too much chance I'll end up taking her in the wrong direction. And it's not like I don't have other characters to play...

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 28 2015, 11:54 AM) *

I haven't forgotten about my druid idea from the OP. Matter of fact, for some reason I am wanting him to be created deep into springtime, when all the flowers start blooming in a few weeks. Seems appropriate for a character who will be a very outdoorsy type of person.

Oh, and gpster, welcome here. I used the word 'toon' in this thread's title as a sort of tongue-in-cheek joke. hehe.gif It's a word which makes me cringe, but also it makes me laugh.

Anyways, check this out. <snip for brevity>

I like this idea.

I've always wanted to play a druid, but haven't found the right character for one yet. That was one of Hanna's failed paths. It seemed appropriate to her, since she was already conjuring wildlife and didn't have much use for people. I found though that she didn't have much use for being a druid either. She doesn't summon wildlife because of some profound respect for nature - it's just convenient and fits her temperament better than daedra or undead (especially undead).

So yeah - a druid needs to be more than just someone who prefers nature. There has to be a deep and abiding love for it, and a desire to serve it and even to worship it. Hanna didn't have that, but it sounds like this character will.

You know... I was just thinking...

Part of the reason that I tried Hanna as a druid is that I envisioned the little elves as relatively nature-oriented. And when I made Belladonna (my third female little elf) I was reminded that I still haven't played a male of the race at all. And a male little elf would likely make a good druid...

As if I didn't already have enough characters... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by gpstr: Mar 28 2015, 08:49 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 28 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 28 2015, 01:54 PM) *

Anyways, check this out. My druid guy will be well-educated. His backstory will include some sort of friction between himself, and the Nine-worshipping priests of Cyrodiil. In other words, at some point my druid will have wanted to begin worshiping some sort of nature spirits (or maybe even something more theoretical than the Nine), and will have wanted to include this sort of worship along with worshipping the Nine. One of the Brothers did not like this. He cried heresy, and blasphemy, on this subject. My druid was not entirely opposed to the Nine, but this Brother (whoever he is) was opposed to including any other form of worship.

The two had some sort of argument, which brewed over time, and eventually escalated into a fight. My druid gets a bounty, somehow. Maybe he even killed somebody by accident. However it happens, when his game starts, I'm going to use an alternate start mod to hopefully place him in some random, wilderness location, maybe with a certain set of console-added spells, since he will have been studying some magic not officially added by the vanilla game from Day 1. He will also have a bounty somewhere over 500, since he is wanted by the Law, big-time, for whatever it was he did.

If you are using my Witchcraft mod then the nature spirits you are looking for are described in one of the books I included in the mod, The Witches of Cyrodiil:
The Witches of Cyrodiil are a very misunderstood people. Thanks to a meeting facilitated by a friend of mine who is a forester, I was able to meet with one of these Witches and speak with her at length about her tradition. Her name is Morcant, and she served me the tastiest sweet rolls and most delicate Argonian White Tea as we spoke of her craft.

When one hears the word Witch, the first thought that comes mind tends to be of a Daedra worshipper. This I learned is quite far from the truth. Witches worship the Earthbones, the Aedric spirits that perished in the creation of Mundus. They also revere those surviving Aedra who departed our world after giving over some of their life force to create it, as well as those eight who remained (whom we knew as the Eight Divines before Tiber Septim joined their ranks as Talos to make them Nine).

Witches also follow spirit guides, as the Bosmer of Valenwood do. Indeed, the religion of Cyrodiil's Witches appears to be nothing less than the native religion of the Wood Elves, which is now rapidly fading to obscurity thanks to the spread of the Imperial Cult in their homeland. These spirit guides appear to Witches in dreams, and even waking visions, telling them secrets, leading them places, even teaching them spells.

When asked the origin of the spirit guides, Morcant explained that they were in fact the memories of the Earthbones themselves. Even though dead, or gone from Mundus, the energy they left behind remains within us, as symbols buried deeply into our Lower Selves - what some call the unconscious mind. It is through interaction with these symbols that Witches in fact interact with the entire world. Learning, experiencing, healing, and otherwise doing their part to protect Nirn.

Aiding them in this protection are the animals of the natural world. Animals that are considered dangerous to any conventional person - Wolves, bears, lions, and even spriggans - are all friendly to Witches. In fact, a wolf named Tsume came to visit Morcant as we talked, and she explained to me that he was a friend of hers. When I asked why she had given him such an Akaviri-sounding name, Morcant told me that she had not given it to him. Rather her one of her spirit guides had told it to her.

It is thanks to these spirit guides that Witches possess the ability to also summon these animals to come to their aid when in danger. Morcant demonstrated this for me by summoning a grizzly bear. She explained to me that it was not an actual, living bear plucked from some forest that she had summoned. Rather it was an external expression of the symbol of one of her spirit guides - In this case obviously Bear - temporarily given flesh and blood through magic.

Witches believe that Mundus and everything in it is sacred, being that it was created from the life essence of these Aedric spirits. It is the product of their flesh, blood, and spirits. Witches have no temples, because to them the entire world is a temple. Nor do they have a special priest caste, as they are all priests and priestesses. As Morcant said to me: "We are all divine. We are all gods. Most of us have simply forgotten our divine origins."

Doubtlessly this will be considered quite shocking by most chapel-going Imperials, if not downright heresy. In fact, I believe that this belief in the inherit divinity is one of the main reason that Witches are so reviled and discriminated against in Imperial society. The other being their ability to create their own spells through their spirit guides. This completely negates the Mages Guild's monopoly on magical research and teaching, and would pose a serious threat to their existence if Witchcraft was more accepted and accessible.

So in closing, if you are traveling through the countryside and meet a Witch, do not be afraid. Rather great him or her (for Witch is a non-gendered term) as a friend. For they are the guardians of the wild places of Nirn, and will only bring harm to those who seek to do it themselves. And if you are very nice, perhaps they will even give you sweet rolls and tea!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 28 2015, 08:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 29 2015, 05:09 AM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome thanks SR! Yes, his game will have Witchcraft for sure. In fact, I'm thinking that my druid might already know (or know of) your NPC.

gpster: initially I didn't know anything about druids (real druids who lived long ago), so my original herpy assumption was stuff I knew about them from DnD, which is they derive their powers from nature. It was only while creating and participating in this thread that I learned druids were highly-revered people (sort of like shamans) who we know little about.

But just the fact that they are supposed to be some of the most intelligent people of their culture got my brain going. And so I thought: I want my druid to be very much in-tune with nature, but how does he wind up this way? ... And so that's where all the rest of his backstory started to fill in, especially with the religious stuff.

Hanna just needs time. I've had plenty of ideas which have gone on the backburner for awhile, and then one day *boom* there it is. But yeah, it's not like we don't have enough characters / things to do as it is. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 29 2015, 05:15 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
gpstr
post Mar 29 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #39

Agent

@Renee - actually, after three failed attempts spread out over a few years, Hanna did go on to have a nice adventure, when she sort of backed into going into the Shivering Isles. It fit her well and finally gave me some good insight into her personality. I originally saw her as sort of wary of people - a bit wild and a bit awkward with civilized ways and so on, and that was a lot of the reason I tried her as a druid. But then she just didn't really click with the whole reverence for nature thing. When she went to the Isles, I figured out that her aversion to people wasn't so much a preference for nature or anything like that - she just doesn't like them all that much. I actually wrote quite a bit about her adventures in the Isles on Bethsoft. She's currently parked in her Enchanted Druid Treehome (which isn't really all that druid-ish, but suits her well, and gives her quick access to the Isles, which is the whole reason she went in the first place).

And to the meat of the post - I spent a bit of time this morning riffling through random faces, looking for an Elenin, and found this one. I'm not sure if that angle really does her justice, but I like it a lot. She's just a bit haughty, but not to any really notable degree (by Altmer standards). Her eyes are tremendous - clear and deep and just a little bit sad. There's just a bit of a neck seam, but I already use a custom tinted highelf texture sheet, so if it bothers me too much, I can just shift it a bit to match better. Oh and... in case anyone's wondering, a while back I got smart and added a little mod that bumps up the ambient light at the sewer exit - it makes doing faces there MUCH better.

So Elenin's just about there...
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 30 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

gpster: That treehome ... can you share that? Wow, I really like the sound of that.

I agree. Elenin does look just about haughty.

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 30 2015, 02:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:42 AM