Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Its not nice to laugh..., (funny names)
Mazelure
post Jul 15 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #21

Finder
Group Icon

Wow... my name is ironic for two reasons... I am of spaniard decend but my name it Latin... the other reason it is ironic is because it mean "servant of the church" but I am athiest... hmmm... sweet irony.

--------------------
you have to crack a few eggs in order to make and omelet
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Jul 15 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

I have yet to find anyone, dutch or otherwise, who can actually find an origin or meaning for my last name: Plantinga (yes, my user id is that boring). My father was born in Harlingen, The Netherlands and moved to Canada (with his family) when he was 8. I've run into many other Plantingas online and out there in the world, but nobody seems to know anything about the origin of the name. Even the link provided by the illustrious Aki had no insight. I'm doomed to a life of mediocrity and meaninglessness (sorry, perhaps I should have said "without meaning" to keep the word from becoming a mouthful). Well, I better get back to work, or I'll be here all day.
+Quote Post
Wurlon
post Jul 16 2006, 04:23 AM
Post #23

Knower
Group Icon

When my sister broke her collar bone, one of the doctors who examined her was named "Dr. Wang".

--------------------
Sic Semper Tyrannis
+Quote Post
Pisces
post Jul 16 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #24

Knower
Group Icon

As I said before I live in New Zealand with lots of Asian friends so I don't really take notice of these things, but I know a few Wangs, and there is also a girl with the last name Poon, said like pwn, be good if Wang and pwn got together.
+Quote Post
Red
post Jul 17 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #25

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mazelure @ Jul 15 2006, 06:52 PM) *

Wow... my name is ironic for two reasons... I am of spaniard decend but my name it Latin... the other reason it is ironic is because it mean "servant of the church" but I am athiest... hmmm... sweet irony.

Both my first and last name are of the Christian religion, but I'm Bhuddist tongue.gif.

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
+Quote Post
Wurlon
post Jul 18 2006, 08:30 AM
Post #26

Knower
Group Icon

WOW I never knew what my name meant until now, I thought it was a variation of sean (my name is Shawn)

But really it is british and according to the 20,000 names site, Shawn means "from the shady grove." My name is so hawt right now winkgrin.gif Alas there was nothing about my last name.

Heh at the middleschool in my town there was a French teacher named Mrs. Grim

--------------------
Sic Semper Tyrannis
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jul 18 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #27

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wurlon @ Jul 18 2006, 08:30 AM) *

WOW I never knew what my name meant until now, I thought it was a variation of sean (my name is Shawn)

But really it is british and according to the 20,000 names site, Shawn means "from the shady grove." My name is so hawt right now winkgrin.gif Alas there was nothing about my last name.

Heh at the middleschool in my town there was a French teacher named Mrs. Grim

The correct spelling of the name your's is derived from is Seán, which is an Irish name tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 18 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

My maiden name was funny ... it actually said a little sentence when you pronounced my first and last name phonetically. People used to crack up laughing when they first heard it. So even though now my married last name is Italian and hard for people to get right and somewhat unwieldly with my first name ... I still prefer spelling out the name rather than being automatically laughed at. tongue.gif

Oh & I was a first female child in both families so my first name is a combination of both my grandmothers' names. Very, very old fashioned sounding and spelled uniquely because my mom was Polish. She had quite a naming-day festival with four daughters. lolol

For my name now - think = AnnaMaria Alberghetti. That is a famous Italian woman, but my name is a similar type mouthful of vowels. laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jul 18 2006, 01:22 PM
Post #29

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Jul 18 2006, 01:16 PM) *

My maiden name was funny ... it actually said a little sentence when you pronounced my first and last name phonetically. People used to crack up laughing when they first heard it. So even though now my married last name is Italian and hard for people to get right and somewhat unwieldly with my first name ... I still prefer spelling out the name rather than being automatically laughed at. tongue.gif

Oh & I was a first female child in both families so my first name is a combination of both my grandmothers' names. Very, very old fashioned sounding and spelled uniquely because my mom was Polish. She had quite a naming-day festival with four daughters. lolol

For my name now - think = AnnaMaria Alberghetti. That is a famous Italian woman, but my name is a similar type mouthful of vowels. laugh.gif

That must have been fun whenever you had to tell someone your name tongue.gif
I just get tormented on the fact that my surname is similar to MacDonald, so i get random annoying folks who can't pronounce my surname properly thinking they're hilarious by acting as if i'm an employee at the fast food joint dry.gif
And in case you wondered, my surname is McDonnell

--------------------
IPB Image

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 18 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

Wolfie, my previous stepfather-in-law WAS named MacDonald and he absolutely refused to ever set foot in a MacDonald's Restaurant. His mother also had the bizarre notion that Cain & I might steal his kilt?! Why, I have no earthly idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jul 18 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #31

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Jul 18 2006, 01:54 PM) *

Wolfie, my previous stepfather-in-law WAS named MacDonald and he absolutely refused to ever set foot in a MacDonald's Restaurant. His mother also had the bizarre notion that Cain & I might steal his kilt?! Why, I have no earthly idea.

Hehe i refuse to step foot in a MacDonald's restaurant becuase i find the food disgusting biggrin.gif
As for the kilt thing...while the kilt is part of both Irish andScottish traditional dresswear, i have no idea why his mother would think that wacko.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Wurlon
post Jul 18 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #32

Knower
Group Icon

My Surname is total pwnage.. (rapists look away!) it is... Trainor !!!!!! ooo sparkly lmfao

If you can think of anything stupid, I "train" you in it ;P, or at least that what kids used to tease me with! With my name spelled out.. it sounds like I can train Shawns!

Now if my first name had been Gaylord ..... Gaylord Trainor :rofl: but thank GOODNESS its not ;p

Eh while I'm smiling, have one for the road! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Wurlon: Jul 18 2006, 03:53 PM

--------------------
Sic Semper Tyrannis
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 18 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #33

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok.....my first name is Monika, I usually call myself Monique.....and the funny thing is.... it means....advisor!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 18 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #34

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow, cool Minque ... Monique. So I see where you got your Forum Nick from. And to mean advisor is totally appropriate. Monika is nice too. Reminds me a little of the Archie and Veronica comics back in the fifties for some reason. Like American Bandstand days ... Happy Days. teeheehee

--------------------

+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 18 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #35

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Jul 18 2006, 11:01 PM) *

Wow, cool Minque ... Monique. So I see where you got your Forum Nick from. And to mean advisor is totally appropriate. Monika is nice too. Reminds me a little of the Archie and Veronica comics back in the fifties for some reason. Like American Bandstand days ... Happy Days. teeheehee

Hehe...well actually I was thinking of the lil´furry animal....."mink", and thought I´d deviate it, make it more interesting....also there´s a band called Minque, check out this link:

Minque

Then of course it´s also an elvish word...... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jul 18 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #36

Mouth
Group Icon

Hey that band is cool, I put them in my Favo Column. I tried to download some tunes but it just played them in msn media player.

I have always thought of the furry little animal when seeing your name. But what does it mean in Elven? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it on any of the Elven dictionaries I've got.

--------------------

+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 18 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #37

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Jul 18 2006, 11:50 PM) *

Hey that band is cool, I put them in my Favo Column. I tried to download some tunes but it just played them in msn media player.

I have always thought of the furry little animal when seeing your name. But what does it mean in Elven? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it on any of the Elven dictionaries I've got.

Hehe..yeah the band is fairly good! Oh and there´s a nightclub in Canberra, Australia, named Minque as well!

I think the elven word minque means "eleven" at least the elvish they use in LOTR.

But I´m still that furball...m´kay...

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:19 PM