79 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mirocu
post Oct 26 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #761

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Your guess is as valid as any. I cannot fathom why it stopped working. I have one more thing I can try in the morning but I'm keeping my hopes very low.

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 27 2019, 08:47 AM
Post #762

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Aaaaaaaand just like last time I figured it out. Had the wrong files in the ProgramData/Popcap Games folder. But I still don't know why it changed. Like I said, haven't done any changes to it, not even visited the folder in many months. If it just sits there, how could it change?

But ne'er mind. It works.

For now mellow.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 13 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #763

Master
Group Icon

Doomsday approaching, this morning I began updating the secondary PC from Win7 to Win10. Did so without purchasing a Win10 license. So far as I can tell, the update automatically recognizes the Win7 license as valid with Win10, without me haven't to do anything whatsoever. (Your mileage may vary.)

Took a heck of a long time, thanks to super slow internet and no-longer-high-end computer. Gave myself what I assumed was plenty of time to complete the task well before lunch. Nope. Install didn't complete until a bit after lunch. First thing I did was update to the latest Nvidia graphics driver. Am pleasantly surprised my old GTX670 is still included in all driver releases. As of now its driver is newer than my GTX1070's driver.

Used the 'preserve files and apps' option. No major snafus with that, except one. Firefox didn't appear among DEFAULT browser options. FF otherwise survived intact. Bookmarks, passwords, and so on. But I wanted FF as DEFAULT. Researched it. Was directed to uninstall Firefox, which won't remove bookmarks, custom settings, add-ons, and so on. Then reinstall. All should be well.

Did so. FF then appeared among DEFAULT choices. BUT...a message popped up saying bookmarks, add-ons, etc. would not transfer by design. Grrrrrrrrr. Was told to log into my Firefox account to transfer those things. I have no Firefox account. Spent much time manually restoring everything except passwords. I don't use FF on that PC often enough to worry about those. My bro does, so bookmarks, settings and add-ons remain important. Hope I haven't missed anything important.

A strange yet pleasant surprise. MS Money 2003 doesn't officially work with Win10. I expected to manually update it to Money Sunset, the version on my primary PC. However, the old version launches in Win10 without issue! Maybe it's gimped in some other ways. Didn't take time to check. It's another program I don't use on that machine. It's maintained there in case of emergency.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 14 2019, 11:05 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 14 2019, 08:57 AM
Post #764

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I'm gonna stay with Win 7 for as long as I can tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 14 2019, 05:27 PM
Post #765

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 1 2019, 06:19 AM) *

Had a scare two evenings ago. Was surfing the web with Firefox. All of a sudden Malwarebytes begins blocking outgoing 'suspicious' traffic every few seconds. This goes on for some time. Closed all open programs. Shut down computer. Turned on computer several minutes later. Opened Firefox. Same issue. Closed Firefox. Launched Brave. Same issue. Getting worried now. All that came to mind is that Avast (anti-virus) has, in the past, warned that a somewhat recent Firefox add-on extension is potentially unreliable. Disabled and removed it. No change. Switched to Brave. Browsed for some time. No Malwarbytes blockage messages! Was sort of late by then so shut down PC for the day. Next morning I launched it to find all's well (so far as I know) again. Whether it was the extension or something else I do not know. Just glad the PC isn't hosed. Hurrah for Malwarebytes for blocking potentially harmful outgoing traffic.

Only peripherally computer related: a well done video on the differences between OLED and QLED TVs.

Again only peripherally related: two short power outages yesterday morning, followed by a pre announced overnight three hour outage to repair/replace 'critical' equipment.

That is really scary! Is the Malwarebytes you use the paid version or the free version? Does it work with another antivirus active? (because Comcast runs "Norton Antivirus" on all their customer's PC's).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 14 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #766

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 26 2019, 02:39 AM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 28 2018, 07:42 PM) *

UPDATE

It works now. I previously missed copying the files under ProgramData because that folder was hidden on the other computer. It wasn't before I saw it and dug into it on my own computer that I realized there were files there too. So yeah, now I have all progress transferred smile.gif

Sigh. This game, Plants vs Zombies, is beyond my comprehension.

When I stopped playing it in May or so it all worked fine. Now when I started it up all my progress is gone again. Haven't done anything. It still works on computer 2 so I did manage to copy it to that one. But now, even when I completely removed everything on computer 1 and installed the game from a flashdrive copied from computer 2, it still doesn't work. I don't even get the full game anymore, just the demo with max five levels on Adventure.
WHY?? sad.gif sad.gif

I don't know if this is the issue or not; but I tried copying the Oblivion Creation Set to a flash drive to put on my new PC and the same thing happened to me; so I went through both files to see if there was something that the working copy had that the non-working copy didn't = that was exactly what had happened. To keep their copyright safe they have a file in the folder that won't copy; and without it the new install won't work. So I ended up having to go to Bethesda to get the actual download all over again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 14 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #767

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Well, thankfully I got my game to work again. But I'm still puzzled why they changed on the computer; they were there in May but gone in October and nothing had been done to the computer. No updates or anything.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 14 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #768

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 14 2019, 02:57 AM) *

I'm gonna stay with Win 7 for as long as I can tongue.gif

Ditto. I like my Win 7 Pro, and don't want to fix something that isn't broke. If I had any doubts that this was the best path to follow, hearing all Decrepit's Windows 10 woes has scared me straight! rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 14 2019, 08:49 PM
Post #769

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 14 2019, 10:27 AM) *

Had a scare two evenings ago. Was surfing the web with Firefox. All of a sudden Malwarebytes begins blocking outgoing 'suspicious' traffic every few seconds. This goes on for some time. Closed all open programs. Shut down computer. Turned on computer several minutes later. Opened Firefox. Same issue. Closed Firefox. Launched Brave. Same issue. Getting worried now. All that came to mind is that Avast (anti-virus) has, in the past, warned that a somewhat recent Firefox add-on extension is potentially unreliable. Disabled and removed it. No change. Switched to Brave. Browsed for some time. No Malwarbytes blockage messages! Was sort of late by then so shut down PC for the day. Next morning I launched it to find all's well (so far as I know) again. Whether it was the extension or something else I do not know. Just glad the PC isn't hosed. Hurrah for Malwarebytes for blocking potentially harmful outgoing traffic.

Only peripherally computer related: a well done video on the differences between OLED and QLED TVs.

Again only peripherally related: two short power outages yesterday morning, followed by a pre announced overnight three hour outage to repair/replace 'critical' equipment.

That is really scary! Is the Malwarebytes you use the paid version or the free version? Does it work with another antivirus active? (because Comcast runs "Norton Antivirus" on all their customer's PC's).

Did a littler research. Best I can tell, Comcast claims its Norton Security Online (and I assume Norton Security Suite, which it replaces, though Suite continues to be updated, again according to Comcast) does protect against Malware. I assume it updates itself automatically so you always have current protections? Wouldn't hurt to launch its control panel and see what 'check for updates' (or however they term it) says. That said, if you've been having no issues all's likely well. As for me, yes, I use paid-for Malwarbytes. That's a great rarity for me. Worth it, in my case, for peace of mind.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 14 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #770

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 14 2019, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 14 2019, 10:27 AM) *

Did a littler research. Best I can tell, Comcast claims its Norton Security Online (and I assume Norton Security Suite, which it replaces, though Suite continues to be updated, again according to Comcast) does protect against Malware. I assume it updates itself automatically so you always have current protections? Wouldn't hurt to launch its control panel and see what 'check for updates' (or however they term it) says. That said, if you've been having no issues all's likely well. As for me, yes, I use paid-for Malwarbytes. That's a great rarity for me. Worth it, in my case, for peace of mind.

When I click on the "Check for Updates" feature, it just brings me to their website page that sells different versions of their software.

I hope it updates itself regularly; but have never actually seen it running in the background to do that. (and as a matter of fact; I've never seen it run its scheduled scans either; though I've been awake at the time I have them scheduled for.

So = really not sure if it is working or not; except every now and then its "Smart Firewall" says some "Google Reporting Tool" is "safe;" meaning I have to hunt it down; remove it; and then reset the Firewall for another month that it takes before the Norton Smart Firewall decides it is okay again. I've had to do this monthly since getting Comcast (maybe not HAVE to; but I think I should because I have no clue what the "Google Reporting Tool" is; but don't think it belongs on my computer).

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 14 2019, 09:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 15 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #771

Master
Group Icon

Couple of observances during recent secondary PC Win7 - Win10 'upgrade.'

The image seen on that PC's IPS monitor's now seems dull and lifeless in comparison to my primary PC monitor's TN panel. I disliked the TN at first. Washed out image. Super bright whites. So bright my eyes became sore in no time at all. Adjusting settings via Nvidia Control Panel didn't help enough to matter. Took the monitor several months to 'break in.' Now that it has, its image is rich and not over-bright. White's are still eye-popping, but no longer eye damaging. It's got the worst off-angle viewing degradation I've encountered. Just slightly to the side and the image craps out. (The IPS looks good no matter where you view it from.) Doesn't really matter, as I almost always view the TN monitor off-angle. But still...

This was my first lengthy use of the secondary PC's keyboard in ages. I long considered it my ideal keyboard. No more. Couldn't find my way around its keys to save my life. Doesn't help that its "F" and "J" finger-placement ridges wore away long ago. (A prime reason I replaced it.) Speaking of which, I need to get off my duff and install lighting above my primary PC's sliding keyboard tray, so I can see the bloody thing. Problem is, the tray is 4' long, with draw on one side, made of heavy particle board. I no longer possess the physical strength to remover and set it back on its slider rails. Can't install the light-strip where I want with the tray in-place. Growing decrepit ain't always all it's cracked up to be.

I need to set aside time to launch the secondary PC's many installed program to insure they now behave as expected.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 30 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #772

Master
Group Icon

As threatened, I shrugged off my apathy and installed lighting along the back-panel of my PC keyboard's sliding tray. Placing it there is a compromise, a compromise that allowed me to install it unaided. Works like a charm. Can at last see my keys in low-light situations.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 30 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #773

Spam Meister
Group Icon

goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 30 2019, 08:01 PM
Post #774

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 30 2019, 01:00 PM) *

As threatened, I shrugged off my apathy and installed lighting along the back-panel of my PC keyboard's sliding tray. Placing it there is a compromise, a compromise that allowed me to install it unaided. Works like a charm. Can at last see my keys in low-light situations.

You never cease to amaze me! Turning an unlit keyboard into a lit one? AWESOME !!!! I need this. I've been spoiled by self-lit keyboards; and the one I bought a couple months ago is not lit. It is very user-unfriendly for me; I HAVE to have a light directly overhead to see the darn board, verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 30 2019, 08:05 PM
Post #775

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 30 2019, 08:01 PM) *

I HAVE to have a light directly overhead to see the darn board, verysad.gif

I just type at random until I get it right tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 30 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #776

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 30 2019, 02:05 PM) *

laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 30 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #777

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 30 2019, 01:05 PM) *

That's what I was doing. It's amazing how many times a person can can press keys before chancing on the correct one!

As for what I bought, it's this simple light strip. There are lots of variants, many with gaudy multi-color strips. No thanks. My keyboard shelf is 'only' two feet across. Luckily the strip is easily cut to size. Since the shelf sits below desktop the strip itself is well hidden. Anything more than its lowest setting is over-bright, for my purpose.

No expertise is needed. The strip comes with adhesive on its backside. Peel off the protective covering, place the strip where you want it. Attach the off-on / intensity knob and power cord via simple insertion plugs, plug it to wall socket, turn on and adjust. VoilĂ , lit keyboard. Takes no time at all, unless the area you plan to install the strip in is hard to reach.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 30 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #778

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 30 2019, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 30 2019, 01:05 PM) *

That's what I was doing. It's amazing how many times a person can can press keys before chancing on the correct one!

As for what I bought, it's this simple light strip. There are lots of variants, many with gaudy multi-color strips. No thanks. My keyboard shelf is 'only' two feet across. Luckily the strip is easily cut to size. Since the shelf sits below desktop the strip itself is well hidden. Anything more than its lowest setting is over-bright, for my purpose.

No expertise is needed. The strip comes with adhesive on its backside. Peel off the protective covering, place the strip where you want it. Attach the off-on / intensity knob and power cord via simple insertion plugs, plug it to wall socket, turn on and adjust. VoilĂ , lit keyboard. Takes no time at all, unless the area you plan to install the strip in is hard to reach.

WOW! This is Awesome! I don't know how you even think of something like that! That is so innovative!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 30 2019, 10:06 PM
Post #779

Spam Meister
Group Icon

He may be Decrepit, but that doesn't stop his brainpower!

As for me, I'm looking into buying a second Win 7 64-bit computer just to have as a backup. I REFUSE to get Win10.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 30 2019, 10:43 PM
Post #780

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 30 2019, 04:06 PM) *

He may be Decrepit, but that doesn't stop his brainpower!

As for me, I'm looking into buying a second Win 7 64-bit computer just to have as a backup. I REFUSE to get Win10.

Brainpower is right!!! He is a genius!!!

Windows 10 = I don't plan to make the change either.

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 30 2019, 10:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:40 PM