79 Pages V « < 65 66 67 68 69 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mirocu
post Nov 30 2022, 08:13 PM
Post #1321

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Guys, I seriously need help right now. Chrome has stopped working altogether for me, it just won't start when I click on it so I uninstalled it. And Youtube in Firefox is worse now; I can't even visit the main page without getting the lag and the yellow bar saying it slows down my browser. My computer works fine otherwise, both with gaming and visiting other pages.

Also; when opening the task manager it shows five firefox related activities despite I only have one window open.

Edit: If you scroll down here, the poster details exactly my issue but I can't seem to find an actual solution. Further down he talks about other stuff using firefox, hence the multiple activities in the task manager, but I'm still unsure of what to do.

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 30 2022, 08:35 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 30 2022, 08:42 PM
Post #1322

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 30 2022, 01:13 PM) *

Guys, I seriously need help right now. Chrome has stopped working altogether for me, it just won't start when I click on it so I uninstalled it. And Youtube in Firefox is worse now; I can't even visit the main page without getting the lag and the yellow bar saying it slows down my browser. My computer works fine otherwise, both with gaming and visiting other pages.

Also; when opening the task manager it shows five firefox related activities despite I only have one window open.

I don't know that Firefox showing five activities is, in and of itself, necessarily out of the norm. At the moment I've six tabs open. Task Manager shows 10 activities, plus more FF stuff in its "background task" display. For what it's worth, Firefox has been sluggish here for around an hour or two. Slow to open new tabs and fill graphics-heavy tabs. Don't own Chrome, so can't check that. I did some research and see that Google is abandoning Windows 7 Chrome support next year, 2023, April if memory serves. But you've some months before worrying about that, if there is even anything to worry about.

Have you some way to run a virus/malware check, just in case?

Does the computer continue to run games and other stuff "normally" and at speed?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 30 2022, 08:48 PM
Post #1323

Spam Meister
Group Icon

FF here works fine opening tabs and visiting websites, just not youtube anymore. It started this Monday. The link edited in my other post describes my problem and it shows a solution, but I'm unsure still sad.gif

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 30 2022, 08:42 PM) *

Does the computer continue to run games and other stuff "normally" and at speed?

Yes, everything works fine.

Edit: Using Chrome again and it seems to work for now. Questions: Is there a click sound addon for Chrome? and how do I get rid of the spell checking? Fixed that!

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 30 2022, 10:03 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 18 2023, 08:53 PM
Post #1324

Paladin
Group Icon

Puter died so will be sparse in comments till new one arrives and is set up. Hate trying to read/comment on cel phone.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 18 2023, 09:09 PM
Post #1325

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Sorry bout your rig, Acadian. Hopefully you can replace it soon enough and get back to Buffy. I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave her to her own devices for too long laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 18 2023, 10:14 PM
Post #1326

Ancient
Group Icon

Ugh, terrible news. Hope you get a new and improved machine soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 18 2023, 11:13 PM
Post #1327

Master
Group Icon

Yikes! kvright.gif

I too am having an issue with my primary PC at the moment. An issue I likely caused during its recent interior cleaning. The oddity is that I can't find a source of the issue. It boots just fine. It runs programs just fine, games included. But the monitor screen hurts my eyes. I've pretty much ruled out a monitor issue and definitely ruled out a GPU issue. (Also ruled out, a PSU issue.) I suspect it might be some corrected Win10 setting(s), but am leery of doing a fresh install of the OS. Still, I'll likely break down and do so at some point. Assuming I don't stumble upon another means of fixing the problem.

In my case, I'm able to use my Second PC, so can mess around online all I want. And play Oblivion, since I never transferred my main play-through to my Primary PC.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 19 2023, 05:47 PM
Post #1328

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 1 2022, 12:10 PM) *

I just turned off the auto-correct on my iPad. The last straw was “correcting” the word guildies to “guiltiest”, although maybe it just has access to more data than I do? biggrin.gif

rollinglaugh.gif

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 11 2022, 04:20 AM) *

Since my ADSL service is being cancelled October 31st and my provider wanted to force me over to mobile, I've decided to go fiber. This means I'll go from 2MB/s to 100MB/s while paying less. I hope it's as good as it sounds tongue.gif

Sounds good to me!

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 30 2022, 02:13 PM) *

Edit: If you scroll down here, the poster details exactly my issue but I can't seem to find an actual solution. Further down he talks about other stuff using firefox, hence the multiple activities in the task manager, but I'm still unsure of what to do.

verysad.gif Hope this issue has been fixed since you posted.

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 18 2023, 02:53 PM) *

Puter died so will be sparse in comments till new one arrives and is set up. Hate trying to read/comment on cel phone.

Poor Buffy! verysad.gif

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 18 2023, 03:09 PM) *

Sorry bout your rig, Acadian. Hopefully you can replace it soon enough and get back to Buffy. I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave her to her own devices for too long laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jan 18 2023, 05:13 PM) *

Yikes! kvright.gif

I too am having an issue with my primary PC at the moment. An issue I likely caused during its recent interior cleaning. The oddity is that I can't find a source of the issue. It boots just fine. It runs programs just fine, games included. But the monitor screen hurts my eyes. I've pretty much ruled out a monitor issue and definitely ruled out a GPU issue. (Also ruled out, a PSU issue.) I suspect it might be some corrected Win10 setting(s), but am leery of doing a fresh install of the OS. Still, I'll likely break down and do so at some point. Assuming I don't stumble upon another means of fixing the problem.

In my case, I'm able to use my Second PC, so can mess around online all I want. And play Oblivion, since I never transferred my main play-through to my Primary PC.

Can you adjust the contrast and brightness on the monitor settings themselves?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 19 2023, 06:24 PM
Post #1329

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 19 2023, 05:47 PM) *

Well, I'm on Chrome now as FF doesn't wanna work for me anymore. Apparently it's an old issue with FF and they just won't do anything about it. But Chrome works fine so it's all good smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 19 2023, 07:52 PM
Post #1330

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jan 19 2023, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 19 2023, 05:47 PM) *

Well, I'm on Chrome now as FF doesn't wanna work for me anymore. Apparently it's an old issue with FF and they just won't do anything about it. But Chrome works fine so it's all good smile.gif

I've had issues every time I tried to use FF; but my son can use it with no issues (go figure, lol). I've been using Chrome for a decade now with relatively few issues.

Didn't Google buy Youtube? If so, that is probably a huge part of the sudden issues with it. Google will be turning it into a paid service most likely. Google wants their money in everything they get their hands on.

By the way, Mirocu = (off topic, sorry) = I got a Smith and Wesson 9mm semi-automatic pistol as a present this past September! I'll get a pic of it and post it in the guns thread (where this info belongs, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 28 2023, 06:44 PM
Post #1331

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Fired up my backup Win7 computer now and did some updates on pictures and savegames. I'm also doing some work related to Chrome as Firefox is now out. Some basic hotlinks established and settings tweaked. More could be done but at this point I'm just making sure the basic stuff is easily accessed and ready.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 3 2023, 05:38 PM
Post #1332

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Chrome/youtube question: When I click on a video it autostarts. Is there a way to change that because sometimes I want to see the thumbnail better first. Refreshing the page autostarts too.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 3 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #1333

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 18 2023, 11:53 AM) *

Ordered a new very nice gaming rig but it took two weeks to get here. Arrived last night and have been working on it this morning with no big problems and have achieved Initial Operating Capability (IOC). That is: Windows 11, internet, Microsoft Office, antivirus. Still loads to do but will start installing more programs today. So far so good.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 3 2023, 06:00 PM
Post #1334

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Sounds good, Acadian! I bet Buffs can't wait to spring into action again goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 3 2023, 07:50 PM
Post #1335

Ancient
Group Icon

Cool! I tried Windows 11 briefly, but rolled it back. Let us know how it works out for you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 3 2023, 09:31 PM
Post #1336

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 3 2023, 10:38 AM) *

Chrome/youtube question: When I click on a video it autostarts. Is there a way to change that because sometimes I want to see the thumbnail better first. Refreshing the page autostarts too.
I want to make sure I understand your issue. What you or asking about is that when you hover over a YouTube video thumbnail on your recommendations or home page, a mini-window automatically pops up and begins playing the video? If that is indeed the case yes, it can be disabled.

When on your recommendations page, click your YT ICON, located at screen upper-right. From the resultant menu, select "settings". On that page, select "Playback and Performance". The very last option there is "Browsing: Inline Playback". Disable that and you're good to go. Don't be surprised if you need to set it again at some point. I've disabled that function several times now. Thankfully, one disable keeps its setting a good while.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 3 2023, 09:46 PM
Post #1337

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 3 2023, 09:31 PM) *

I want to make sure I understand your issue. What you or asking about is that when you hover over a YouTube video thumbnail on your recommendations or home page, a mini-window automatically pops up and begins playing the video? If that is indeed the case yes, it can be disabled.

Thank you for explaining, although my issue was something different. In Firefox I could right-click on a video and select "Open in new tab" whereupon the video would open in a new window/page but not automatically start. Instead it just sat there showing the thumbnail and I could choose myself when to start the video. For some reason in Chrome when I do this, the video starts playing by itself and when I refresh the page it autostarts too and I have to press pause with no option to look at the thumbnail more closely.

Maybe there is an option for this in Chrome but I have yet to find it kvleft.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 5 2023, 09:44 PM
Post #1338

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 3 2023, 09:00 AM) *
Sounds good, Acadian! I bet Buffs can't wait to spring into action again goodjob.gif

And spring she has! ESO is up, running well and all my addon's and graphics refinements are working fine. Game plays and looks fabulous.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 3 2023, 10:50 AM) *
Cool! I tried Windows 11 briefly, but rolled it back. Let us know how it works out for you.

No problems so far. There are some minor changes in how to do things that take a bit of getting used to but not really worse (or better). No problems installing ESO and running it from its default location. Same for our ESO mod manager and Nvidia graphics filter tweaks. Microsoft Office, Discord, Firefox, antivirus etc all installed and running fine.

Puter's a pretty solid gaming rig with lots of jiggabytes, tyranowatts and an OMG graphics card. And pretty lights. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 6 2023, 02:20 AM
Post #1339

Councilor
Group Icon

I bet the folks at Zenimax would be anticipating the switch from Windows 10 to 11, you think?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 6 2023, 01:11 PM
Post #1340

Paladin
Group Icon

Though I hadn't been paying too much attention, I do recall folks on the ESO forum talking about W11 and most seem to have no problems with it. Game, Minion, addons all working fine here.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 65 66 67 68 69 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:20 PM