Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serene of Cyrodiil, chapter 5, Home is where your Heart is...
minque
post Sep 18 2006, 03:39 AM
Post #41

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Vendrela Aravel was a beautiful young woman. Her skin was lighter than most Dunmers, with a smooth complexion. She had long jet-black hair streaming down her back, and her slightly narrow eyes were dark reddish-brown. We were sitting at the Rat-in-the-Pot, having a brandy; we decided we needed that after the rough encounter with Bolvyn Venim. It turned out to be a highly enlightening conversation- she knew a great deal about Great House Redoran, especially the sorts of things that did not make it into the “official” records.

“I never knew my mother; she died when I was born, of some unknown infection…My father has never forgiven me for that, and for the fact I was a girl and not the son he really wanted.” Vendrela sighed, “I have lived with that guilt ever since.”

I felt very sorry for her; her fate had a resemblance with my own. I, too, never knew my real mother, even though I did have a kind of mother who really cared for me….until I decided to leave, a thing I sometimes did regret.

“I grew up in Venim Manor, a never ending parade of nannies taking care of me, thoroughly lead by the Housekeeper, Vindyne Belvani, who spent most of her time trying to keep me away from my father who didn’t want to be disturbed by a child….especially not an unwanted girl.”

I suggested we buy a bottle of Flin and go to my quarters in the Mage’s Guild to continue our talk, since I feared that the walls of The-Rat-in-the Pot may have ears. I didn’t want the rumour to be spread that I had had a conversation with Bolvyn Venim´s daughter, for her sake more than for my own!

“Our generation is the youngest in Vvardenfell today, we were the last children in our time,” Vendrela sighed. “Some say it’s because of a curse, a curse made by The Sixth House Cult, in order to subdue the Dunmer, as a revenge for the deeds of the late Lord Nerevar. I don’t know if it’s true, I only know our women don’t get pregnant anymore...”

I looked at her, and remembered that Sedrane Mirpal once told me the same thing, back in Balmora soon after I arrived in this strange part of the world. I thought it was the Ashlanders only that suffered from infertility, but obviously all Dunmer did.

“However, there’s an outlander in House Redoran, just like you, Serene, who is believed to be Lord Nerevar Reborn…..” Vendrela stopped and looked away, is if her mind had turned inward, to thoughts only she could see. I waited, I wouldn’t rush her, but I needed to find out more about Varvur Sarethi if I was going to be able to do something about his current condition. And that was a thing I wanted to succeed with, more than anything else just now, not because of the young man himself, but because I couldn’t get the sad face of his father out of my mind. Then again, Vendrela´s words about the mysterious outlander caught my interest; I decided to talk to Athyn Sarethi about him.

“We all went to The Mage’s Guild Elementary School together, Varvur, his younger brother Salyn, Nartise Arobar, Delyna Mandas, Sanvyn Llethri, Neminda and her sister Elone; yes they are outlanders those two, but fully accepted into The House! Oh yes, Bralen Carvaren also attended from time to time.”

“Salyn? Varvur has a brother?” I wondered. “Where is he now?”

“He’s a Buoyant Armiger at Ghostgate,” Vendrela answered. “He’s not allowed to come home other than for very special occasions, but if that wasn’t enough, Varvur and Salyn also have a sister, or shall we say had, because I think she is dead by now. Her name was Satyana; she disappeared about 10 years ago and has never been seen since. Athyn never speaks of her, not in front of his wife anyway. “

“Varvur has always been too sensitive for his own good. Salyn left right after school to join the Armigers, for he is skilled with his sword. But poor Varvur wouldn’t know how to even hold one!” Vendrela laughed.

“So Varvur couldn’t have killed Bralen…..at all?” I knew his name was cleared but there could have been some curse or spell involved as far as I knew.

“Varvur can’t hurt anything; he’s totally unable to raise a hand against any living creature,” Vendrela said in a stern voice. “But something happened just before my father took him as prisoner….”

I waited for Vendrela to continue, hoping she’d trust me enough. I knew her decision balanced on the edge of a blade- she searched my face without saying a word. I pondered over the information I had uncovered so far; Varvur wasn’t the single child of Athyn Sarethi and his red-headed wife, but he was the only child living at home at the moment. I wonder what happened to his sister, and why his brother wasn’t allowed to go home to comfort his parents.

Vendrela finally spoke again, and she told me about her father’s promiscuous life, his affairs with various women, nobles and commoners alike among his loyal kinsmen. She said she normally never spoke about it, even though she knew it was common knowledge among almost all the people of Ald´Ruhn.

“I’m afraid my father and Domesea Sarethi have something going on, and have had for some months now. Athyn doesn’t know, not for sure anyway, and nobody dares to tell him; he’s such a kind and honourable man, it would probably kill him. He is very particular about his family, as you may have understood already.”

I realised that Bolvyn Venim had hurt the Sarethi Family in far more than one way, not only when he had had Varvur as a prisoner, he also had an affair with his mother, Athyn´s wife. I suspected this could have had an impact on Varvur´s mind, if he knew. Vendrela´s story made it obvious to me that he had found out, but how, she didn’t know.

Varvur and Bralen started to hang out with a man called Galtis Guvron, a farmer-boy from just outside the town. He was a nice but weak boy, and he was acquainted to a woman who dominated him completely. Her name was Hanarai Assutlanipal and from what was later revealed, she was a Sixth House Cultist; she even had a shrine in the basement of her house. She had given Galtis some strange items called Ash-statues, which caused mental sickness with those who possessed them. One of those statues was believed to have caused Varvur to kill Bralen, but Vendrela didn’t believe that; she thought that the statue’s evil power had caused Bralen to somehow take his own life. Unfortunately Varvur was found unconscious beside Bralen´s dead body. The man called Trey of High Rock found out about Galtis Guvron´s role in the matter and was forced to kill him and his fiancée and fellow cultist.

“Now they’re all dead, except Varvur, thanks to Trey,” Vendrela smiled. She refilled her glass and mine again. I started to feel a bit dizzy; it had been a long day and I hardly had had anything to eat, so the alcoholic beverage went straight to my head. I leaned back on the bed I was sitting on, and closed my eyes, just for a second…

When I opened my eyes again, the room was dark and I was alone. I found a note on the table saying:

“You fell asleep my dear, so I have gone home. I want to give you some advice though: Keep your eyes and ears open when in Sarethi Manor, but be careful with your words, the walls have ears. You ought to talk to Varvur- he has nobody to confide in anymore and I think he needs that. It might not cure him, but you might find it helpful anyway. Make him trust you. If you need to see me, go to the Market outside the Ald´Ruhn-Temple- I’ll be there with Vindyne to get the weekly supplies, every Loredas morning.
Please destroy this note when you read it

Vendrela”

I burned the note after I’d read it. Could it be as simple as that: Varvur was depressed because his mother had an affair with the Archmaster? I reckoned it was part of the truth only...

It so happened, I was more right than I ever could imagine.

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 18 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

An excellent update that raises many thought provoking questions. I'm looking forward to seeing what might be the possible answers.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Sep 18 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

very nice Minque, please gimme more

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Sep 19 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #44

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks for another fine update. You've certainly managed to make Athyn's situation pretty grim. I'm curious to see how Serene's unique insights will help make his life better.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 19 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

Another update that was worth waiting for.... your strength in describing human interactions and human failings is clearly shown. I am anxious to see how Serene will react to the corruption in her adopted family (Redoran). Given her own history and her sense of honor, I expect a rather spectacular response.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Sep 19 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

Yes the Redorans seem more corrupt than her own family, which was very harsh in its dealings with her.

But I am so glad to see you continuing Serene's story, Minque. I too await to see what her new family adventures will bring her.

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
minque
post Sep 19 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #47

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Thanks friends for all nice comments!

The Redorans are honourable.....but not inside their Manors, in their bedrooms, oh no, they sometimes have difficulties in knowing who´s actually married to who...But of course if the Archmaster of your house wants to date you, how can you resist? Domesea Sarethi is a woman who get turned on by power, her husband is a simple councillor with no particular ambitions to rise in rank.....

But folks, you ain´t seen nothin´yet....Bolvyn´s affairs are well known throughout the house!

But you just might to have to wait a while for the next update, see I´m going to US on monday! I´m so looking forward to it, it´ll be the trip of my life ...really

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Sep 20 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

Now that's why I could never function within the Redorans. They're too serious about their honour. Really, Bolvyn needs one good behind beating, without having honour and manners disrupting things. I guess that's why I like the Telvanni so much. They expect me to beat their behinds in a flashy way. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Oct 27 2006, 05:16 AM
Post #49

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(minque @ Sep 19 2006, 10:54 PM) *

But you just might to have to wait a while for the next update, see I´m going to US on monday! I´m so looking forward to it, it´ll be the trip of my life ...really
Very dramatic update you have here miss Minque. I'll be waiting for further updates no matter how long it takes you, I've stuck with this story far too long to give up now, things are every bit as interesting as they were when I started reading and just as I was then, I'm hooked.

Keep up the great work, the detail put into the characters and emotion are well illustrated in this last update so please continue. biggrin.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
minque
post Nov 6 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #50

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok my friends and readers, here it comes, the new update, and as a special treat for you, I have gotten special assistance with this installment, by the expert himself....the one and only, Treydog!

Thank you Treydog for your priceless help!

..........................................................................................................................................................

I decided to pay a visit to Sarethi Manor first thing in the morning. Maybe I could come up with some more background information that could help me figure out how exactly Varvur´s mind functioned. Then again, who was I fooling? I wanted to see Athyn again; somehow the old Mer had gotten straight into my heart and even though I was terrified where that would lead, I simply could not restrain myself from seeing him.

The evening I spent at the Mage’s Guild, trying to find some useful recipes for potions good for invigorating the mind, as well as potions with some kind of “cheering-up” effect. I found that the Mages did not have that much experience of these kinds of mental problems in humans or Mers either, for that matter, so I had to experiment with new kinds of mixtures of plants and herbs. The work was alternately frustrating and rewarding, and before I realized it, the hour had grown quite late. The mages had gone to their homes or their quarters, and only a few night candles illuminated the halls as I made my way to my bed.

When I opened the door to my room, I saw that my lamp had apparently gone out- “Probably out of oil,” I thought, making a mental note to remind the Guild steward in the morning. For now, it really did not matter, for I was quite tired and did not plan to follow my usual practice of reading before sleep. Also, my night vision was unusually good, something my friends had remarked on as I was growing up, saying, “Serene, you have eyes like a cat.” For some reason, that attribute failed me on this night, as I failed to see a small stool in my path, which fetched me a sharp rap across the shin and caused me to stumble. I bent to rub the injured leg, muttering some decidedly un-ladylike words that would have surprised my poor mother. That sudden movement saved my life, as I heard a sudden exhalation of breath behind me and felt a blade whip past where my head would have been!

There was no time for thought or questions; my training and instincts took over. I had left my sword on the bed when I arrived- I lunged forward and rolled to the opposite side of the bed, I grasped the hilt and cleared the scabbard in a swift flick. This move placed the bed between me and my assailant and also allowed me to take advantage of the light coming from the open door. And that light revealed—a shadowy figure dressed in black from head to foot, holding a dagger that seemed to be smeared with a sticky yellow substance. A Dark Brotherhood assassin- here in Ald´Ruhn! I stared at his blade as if it was a deadly serpent- which was appropriate- it was an envenomed fang, seeking my heart. A single cut could spell death- I had no idea what type of poison he had used- and I had no desire to find out by experimenting.

But I had a weapon of my own now, one with far greater reach. I could probably keep the assassin’s dagger away from me, but I wanted to do more- I wanted to find out who was sending these killers after me. Never taking my eyes from the dagger, I reached my left hand down and bunched up the coverlet. Distracting the assassin with a shrill shout and wild swing of my katana, I threw the fabric, entrapping the dagger! I then leapt on the bed and brought the flat of my sword down on the top of his head. He collapsed in a heap and I quickly rolled him over with my foot and kicked his dagger away.

Muttering the cantrip that summoned mage-light, I reached for the mask that covered the killer’s face. First, I would see who he was, then I would summon the Redoran guards and we would find out who had hired him- or so I thought. Like a striking snake, his hand shot up and grabbed my wrist, trapping my arm in a crushing grasp. He had been feigning unconsciousness, waiting from me to make a foolish mistake and get too close. And I had obliged him, forgetting everything I had learned, forgetting that this was not practice, but life and death. But he had made a mistake too, for he had pinned my left hand, not the one that held the sword. More out of fear and reflex than from conscious thought, I brought the razor-edged blade down across his neck. Blood spurted as his head rolled away and my dinner completed the job of ruining the carpet as I was violently ill.

I had to put an end to these attacks from The Dark Brotherhood, especially now, when I had an important task to accomplish…and….had met a man that affected me far more than I would admit to myself.

I couldn’t remember the name of the person I had to talk to about the attacks, but I was sure Neminda, or even Athyn would know that. I shrugged; my desire to stay alive had increased a tremendous amount during the last weeks.

An ash storm haunted Ald´ruhn that morning as I was on my way to Under Skar, and since the hood of my cloak effectively covered my face I was brusquely stopped by two Redoran guards when I was about to enter the giant crab shell.

“Hail there Outlander! Where do you think you are going?” One of them grabbed my arm rather hard as he spat those words out.

“Good Morning to you, ser” I answered politely, “I’m on my way to see Serjo Athyn Sarethi, about an important matter.” I pulled back the hood to show my face to them.

“Ah yes …well you see there have been several assassination-attempts on Councilor Sarethi, so we have the entire Under Skar under surveillance,” the guard responded. “Now you do look innocent but I’ll have to check your satchel there, Sera.”

I did not show the fear that struck me at his words. Assassination-attempts! Athyn could be in danger and here was I, being stopped by these guards when the only thing I wanted was to rush to his side! With trembling hands I opened the satchel and showed them the contents; a couple of vials containing the potions I was going to try on Varvur, some useful scrolls, and my personal items.

The guards naturally showed interest in my potions; magic always seems to puzzle men in general and guards in particular. I told them it was only harmless pick-me-up potions and they seemed to believe me so they let me off the hook.

I tried not to just rush off like a hunted kagouti, but I must admit I hurried down the gangplanks towards Sarethi Manor at a rather high speed. Just as I came within a few yards of the entrance to the Manor, the door opened and a man stepped out, a tall blonde Breton, with a stern, worried look on his face; I raised my hand to greet him, for I recognized him as Trey, Trey of High Rock, but he paid no attention to me- I doubt he even noticed me. I watched him head towards Llethri Manor, and thought to follow, but I had more urgent matters to attend to.

The smell of blood and other fluids was overwhelming as I entered Sarethi Manor. Down the hallway I saw two guards kneeling over a body lying flat on the floor, there were no signs of Athyn, and I whined as I rushed towards the sprawled body.

“Serene! I’m over here; oh it’s so good to see you!”

Athyn´s voice was hoarse and he sounded utterly tired and dejected. He was sitting on a chair beside the table in the open chamber just adjacent to the hallway. I immediately went to him, taking both his hands in mine, unable to speak, because of the big lump in my throat that made me burst into tears as I saw his pale face streaked with pain and fatigue. A thin trickle of blood ran down his cheek from a cut in his left temple. I still couldn’t speak; I was shaking too severely, so he rose and simply took me in his arms, gently stroking my head and back.

“Shhh, Serene, it’s ok now, but this was a close one. If it hadn’t been for Trey, I don’t know….”

I finally composed myself, feeling a bit embarrassed for breaking down like that, but Athyn didn’t seem to mind at all. He led me by the hand to a chair and told me what happened.

“They were dressed as Redoran-guards, so I wasn’t suspicious at all when they came down the hallway, then all of a sudden they attacked me from two sides! Lucky I had my sword- I usually don’t, you know, but lately I’ve always been armed…Naturally I realized I wouldn’t have a chance against two fully armed assassins, but somehow my urge to stay alive helped me in pushing them back,” Athyn sighed.

“Then they knocked me to my knees, and I thought the end was coming, when suddenly Trey burst in and…well that was that.”

I realized Athyn didn’t want to talk about it anymore, and also he obviously was more wounded than was apparent, because his face suddenly went even paler than before. A cold sweat started running down his face and mixed with the blood from the cut. He struggled for air and slowly slid off the chair and down on the floor.

I did not break down this time, as the healer in me took over and I examined him. I found a severe cut just under the ribcage that had bled ominously, but his red cloak had concealed it efficiently.

I put my hands on the cut and focused. It had been quite some time since I’d performed a healing-task and this time I also had to do it on a person I cared for, which always made it more difficult. The well-known rise in temperature took its time to appear this time, and I trembled as I held my hands on his body, and sweat ran down my back, I so much wanted this to function, as I noticed his face turn paler and his breathing get shallower.

I had almost given up when I felt the tickling in my fingers and heat emerge from them, and before my eyes the deep cut slowly closed, and left a pink scar across his chest. I looked at my hands, as always a bit astonished, since I never really understood how I could do these healings. I then put one hand on the cut on his temple and felt it close ….this time leaving a more pronounced scar…

I sat back on my heels, sending a grateful thought to Trey of High Rock for being there…in time to save Athyn. And I wondered- was it a sign from the divines or was it sheer coincidence?

I never found out, and I still don’t know, so many years after…

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Nov 6 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

Hmm, as if there weren't enough problems already. Now we've got assassins added to the mix. At least those dark dudes tend to fall whenever they meet any form of resistance.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Nov 6 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

Excellent update Minque! It's always wonderful to read what's going on with Serene. Even if she's getting caught up in perilous situations like this one.

Good thing Athyn looks like he'll pull through and Serene survived the assassination attempt. Too bad she had to kill the assassin though...

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Nov 7 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

I stared at his blade as if it was a deadly serpent

excellent simile Minque! And thanks for the long awaited Update! I loved the battle with the assassin, I love to read your guys interpretations and that when you use artistic license (yeah i think thats suppose to describe art but hey, who cares)

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 7 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

Always happy to see an update to this story- especially as we are now into all the troubles within House Redoran. It was an honor to be asked to contribute. Hope we will see more soon....

--------------------

+Quote Post
mplantinga
post Nov 7 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #55

Knower
Group Icon

It was so wonderful to log on today and find an update to this story. I have always loved the raw, deep emotion you describe in Serene, and her almost undesired competence in self-defense. I do hope we won't have too long to wait before the next update. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Nov 9 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #56

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Interesting appearance by Trey and well implemented into the story as well...seamless flow throughout this update. Keep up the great work.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Nov 10 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

Serene, and Trey sitting in a computer room

C-O-W-R-I-T-I-N-G!

First comes a great rough draft

Then Comes a great update!
+Quote Post
minque
post Dec 3 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #58

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok...here we go again, and forgive me for taking so long to update this story...

After helping Athyn to bed, I went on to see Varvur. Strangely enough he hadn’t been awakened by the commotion in the great chambers, but obviously the walls of Sarethi Manor were thick enough to hide any kind of noise. I didn’t see Domesea either, but she was probably not at home…at all.

Varvur was sleeping when I entered his bedroom. As before the stench in the room was remarkable so I left the door open in order to get some fresh air into it.

I unpacked my satchel at the table; I had brought some comberry-wine and also a small pot containing a thick yellow liquid. I looked at it and my thoughts started to wander; to Fort Buckmoth, the Training Camp…Lalatia Vabdas, the woman who showed me the secret of making the wonderful thing called honey. I gently stroked the small pot…

The comberry-wine was dark red and smelled delicious as I slowly heated the mug over the open fire in the corner of the room. I poured a good spoonful of honey into the warm wine, together with a selection of herbs that Edwinna gave me, meant to give me strength, but I figured Varvur was in more need for that at the moment. I tasted the wine to find out how it tasted, it was quite delicious, and I hoped Varvur would like it.

“Varvur! Wake up, I’ve got something for you” I gently shook his shoulder, but he just groaned and turned to the side. I waited patiently till the scent of the wine finally reached his nostrils and he sat up in his bed, peering suspiciously at me

“Well it’s you again,” he muttered. “What is that smell?” I handed him the mug, and he frowned a bit but then took a small sip…His eyes widened and he took a whole mouthful of the ruby liquid.

“What is it!!!? It’s…it’s good! Really good!”

I smiled faintly as Varvur Sarethi emptied the mug. He looked at me, slowly shaking his head.

“You…you witch, what more tricks do you know?” He was smiling as he uttered those words, then his gaze went downwards to my skirt and too late I understood he’d seen the dark stains on it, his father’s blood…

“Is that….is that blood?” he whispered, turning pale. “What’s happened? Is Father at home?” Varvur´s voice rose to a scream; he dropped the mug on the floor and grabbed my arm fiercely. I grimaced; his grasp was quite painful and I struggled to get loose.

“It’s ok, Varvur! There were some assassins, but Trey took care of it all, so you don’t have to worry, your Father is alright…now.” The last word just slipped my mouth, which I regretted immediately as Varvur jumped to his feet, and grabbed me by both shoulders, vigorously shaking me as he shouted in agony;

“NOW? You tell me, you damned witch, what happened to my Father? Did somebody hurt him? I’ll …I’ll hurt you if he’s not ok!”

I took a deep breath, grasping both his hands and forcing him to let go of me, I had to use my whole concentration, had to force him to look me in the eyes to calm him down…

“Listen to me Varvur! Your Father is ok! Trey took care of those assassins and I…I took care of your Father, he…he was hurt but he’s quite well now.”

It was as if the sudden outburst of strength totally wore Varvur out, for he suddenly just sank down on the bed again, covering his face with his hands. I sat down beside him, putting my arm around his shoulders…and there Varvur broke down in tears, revealing the sad story of his young life;

“My sister, Satyana, was ten years older than me, she was such a strong, beautiful girl, intelligent but ever so stubborn. She always went her own way…Father was so proud of her, he always said she would one day be the Archmaster of our Great House, and she would make a good one, he said.”

“Our Mother disliked that; she did not approve of Satyana being so strong and man-like; she wanted her to be more like a lady, to get married into one of the noble Redoran-families…That’s what caused her go away, and she never…came back, she’s probably dead, a twenty year old girl can’t survive out there!”

I remained silent, thinking that I had survived out there and I was just sixteen when I left home….and if Satyana was as strong as he said she was…

“I was very weak as a child, always suffering from some sort of illness or fear…there wasn’t a day I didn’t cry for some reason or another. Satyana always defended me when the others mocked me and teased me…but after she left…”

Varvur´s shoulders were shaking heavily, I embraced him, patting his back and letting him take his time; obviously he needed to let all his grief out and all I could do was to be there, listening to him.

“I love my Father deeply, but I never have managed to make him proud of me, I’ve always let him down, dishonoured the Sarethi-name! I can’t handle a sword; I can’t hunt down a Kagouti or even a scrib, because I can’t stand the sight of blood…or any kind of violence.”

“Varvur, has your Father at any time blamed you for that?” I asked softly. He looked at me, his face swollen and wet from tears, and shook his head.

“No…no...But it’s compulsory amongst Redoran men to at least be able to defend your house and family, and I’m unable to…as you’ve seen!” Varvur began to cry again.

“If I was a disappointment to my parents, my younger brother Salyn wasn’t. He was all what they could wish for, bold, strong, fit and sound. He still is a glory to his house and family, but he also left home, leaving just lousy me behind!

“Varvur, I’m sure you have something else in you to compensate for you lack of the ordinary Redoran skills,” I noticed I sounded more like a teacher than a friend to confide in, but he didn’t seem to notice.

“Books! I like to read…and I’m rather good at numbers….” His voice was hoarse and guttural; I scarcely heard what he said.
“But that doesn’t help my Father does it? That big bastard Bolvyn Venim wants him dead so he can continue courting my mother!” Again Varvur´s voice broke into a scream.

I felt an ice-cold hand grip my heart, as the pieces fell into place. So it was Bolvyn Venim who sent those assassins after Athyn!

“But...but you can’t be sure,” I whispered, still unwilling to believe that the Archmaster of my own adopted House could be so wicked.

“Can’t I? I’ve caught them in the very act! I was seeing Vendrela, to borrow some books, and I happened to open the wrong door! And…and there they were! Like animals…” Varvur sobbed desperately. I just held on to him; it must have been a terrible experience for him seeing his mother in the arms…or rather in the bed of Bolvyn Venim.

“He came to me the day after, said I’d have to shut up about what I saw…or else. He obviously didn’t trust me, because three weeks later Bralen was killed and I got the blame for it and he locked me up in his Manor. Trey got me out alright, but I’m too scared to even leave my room. He’ll find me and somehow find a way to put another spell on me, expose me to another Ash-statue, or something…and eventually make me kill my Father!”

“Varvur, NO! No he won’t, I’ll make sure he won’t!”

Varvur looked at me again, this time scornfully, “How can you possibly prevent that?”

I didn’t answer; I just went to the table to prepare another mug of warm honey-sweetened wine. As I did, my hands were shaking, for I did not know how to handle this situation anymore, but I’d have to ask him an important question.

“Does your Father know about Archmaster Venim and your mother?”

“No…of course not! Everybody else seems to know but he’d be the last….and believe me, it would kill him if he found out!”

I nodded but said nothing; I had this weird feeling that Athyn in fact knew subconsciously that Domesea had betrayed him, but he suppressed it deep inside himself. In some ways, his own honour worked against him- he could not, or would not see that others were capable of such deceit.

Then I got this idea…

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 3 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

What idea? Tell me, please! biggrin.gif

Wow, I loved how Varvur spilled all of his sectrets. It really adds depth to the character. Poor Sarethis, they just don't have any luck these days.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Dec 3 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

I also really liked the background and detail of the Sarethi family. There are Sarethi's scattered all through the game- nice to have a "Grand Unified Sarethi Theory" to explain them. Seriously, the depth and the portrayal of Serene as a healer of spirit as well as body was quite impressive. It is always a joy to see additions to this story, esp. when they are as well-written as this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:08 AM