2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CTD issues.
Sakiri
post Nov 26 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Not sure if this is the right forum but I didn't think it was a cheat or hint so I didn't stick it in that one.

I'm having CTD issues, which I'm almost certain are related to trying to use the ENBoost memory patch.

I can load the game, but when I try to load a save or start a new game, it gets about halfway up the load bar and just crashes to desktop.

Ideas?

I'm running a moderate load order(at least compared to my previous Skyrim builds) of mostly texture mods, DarNified UI and the Oblivion Character Overhaul v2. I'm running OBSE, verified it's running, with the Engine Fixes and Blockhead plugins.

I've never had issues modding Oblivion before, so I have no idea what I messed up this time. If you need a load order, how would I go about getting one? BOSS doesn't appear to be able to export one like LOOT can. Or do I have to type it out manually?

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 26 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I use OBMM to manage my mods in Oblivion, and it has an option to view your load order, which you can copy and paste from.

If you suspect it is ENB, then I suggest getting rid of that first and seeing what happens.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 26 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

I might have just installed it wrong. I've done that before.

I'll tinker with it in the morning. I used Wyre Bash (spelling?) to install everything. BOSS for load order.

Turned out one mod had official DLC dependency that I'm missing(swore I grabbed those. Might have to later) so that was causing a missing masters crash.

I missed Oblivion nodding issues. Lol.

First mods I ever installed: low poly grass(My pc was crap) and one made by my ex that placed enchanting/spellmaking altars outside the sewers along with black clothes and Azuras star. >.>

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 12:09 AM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Let us know if you fixed it, I am curious. Never used any ENBs myself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 27 2018, 12:24 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

That low poly grass mod was one of my first mods too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 27 2018, 01:13 AM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

If you run Wrye Bash, you have the means to produce a Load-Order list. Open WB to the MODS tab. Hover your mouse over the word FILE at upper left. When highlighted, right click. From the resultant menu select List Mods. That should do the trick. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 27 2018, 01:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 27 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Okay so I got the game to load, but I'm having constant random CTDs and the black face bug.

I want to get the CTDs under control before anything because I'm trying to get into the game and it's just not happening.

Active Mod Files:

Vast majority of my mods are non .esp texture packs.

I've gotten a few random black faces, which seem to correct themselves if I load a save, I had my grass go black once, which also corrected itself when I loaded a save.

But the CTDs are really getting me. I'll be walking along, CTD. Mid combat, CTD. Standing around right after a load screen, CTD.

Really just want to play. T.T Figure I can fix the black faces later.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Nov 27 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

I can't speak for Oblivion but I had a similar issue in New Vegas - grass would get black, and CTDs would be random, and even more so if trying to loot someone. And I didn't install any mods! The complete reinstall solved the issue and up to this day I still don't know what could I have possibly done wrong during the installation, because all I did, was to choose a destination folder.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, you don't have much going on at all, Sakiri. Yet you're having CTDs? ohmy.gif I second Lopov's advice then. What else could it be?

I would do a reinstall, then I'd just play the vanilla game for a while, going into a few exterior cells + interior cells, make sure everything is working right before I add mods / texture packs. I also would not rely on Wrye Bash (for now) with the texture stuff. Try installing those manually ... literally copy/paste them from the archive to your Data folder. I've used Wrye for Skyrim a lot, but for some reason I've never gotten it to work right for Oblivion. WB always messes up my Oblivion game for some reason. I only use it for its A-bomb fix.

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 27 2018, 03:02 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 27 2018, 04:41 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

I'm using it because I didn't want to download yet another mod manager. OCOv2 recommends NMM and I don't think you can even GET NMM anymore. I don't want to use Vortex. I don't think you can even install that manually worth a crap.

I don't want to reinstall sad.gif Doing that and I might as well just stop playing it because it took me two days to get everything set up as it is. Reinstalling will make it another two day affair on top of it because I'm using the Steam version and have to redownload. My internet isn't that great. :/

I can try uninstalling all the textures and see if that fixes it, but I can't think of why they'd do it.

This post has been edited by Sakiri: Nov 27 2018, 04:43 PM

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 27 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

And just to confuse you further, my opinion is the opposite of Renee's on Wrye Bash. It's the only mod manager I trust to remove mods properly. Especially texture replacers, where install order of loose files is critical, and load order doesn't have the same effect. Some of them don't even have a plug-in (esp).

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 27 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

Most of my texture replacers don't have .esps. I have 22 things installed, only .esps are the ones listed.

Which is why I think uninstalling them might not be a great plan. It sounds like a pain in the rear.

I don't even know where to start. If I'm reinstalling I gotta do it overnight because my DL speed is awful.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 27 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

Any suggestions for me to try before I back up my mod installers and reinstall the game? I'd rather not reinstall tbh.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

I can't think of any other suggestions. Good luck.

I think I'm comfortable using Bash in Skyrim because (somehow) I decided to start using it from the getgo, back when I first began playing Skyrim on PC, and (somehow) i never had any major problems with it. Oblivion on the other hand, I began modding in 2014, and I started with OBMM. My gameworld is therefore established through OBMM and it's pretty much flawless, other than the random CTD or weirdo problem here and there. For some reason, even if I bring up Wrye Bash, not even adjusting anything other than turning it on, that alone will mess up my OB game. :shrugs: That's a guaranteed CTD-on-launch after an A-bomb fix, for instance. mad.gif

So my point is if you start with Bash, yes, you should stick with Bash, because you're learning how to do it through that program. Me though? I'd still try a manual install. I've had a couple mods in Skyrim which did NOT work through Bash for some reason. Only if I install them manually will they be okay.

Good luck..

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 27 2018, 10:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Nov 27 2018, 12:29 PM) *

I don't even know where to start. If I'm reinstalling I gotta do it overnight because my DL speed is awful.

Okay, let's solve this. smile.gif

First, don't reinstall yet. Remove all the mods, all the textures, etc. Make the game pure vanilla, with only Shivering Isles and Knights active, and also leave the Unofficial patch stuff on. Go back to a previous save if you have to. Walk your character through a bunch of interior and exterior cells. Is the game crashing still? Black faces?

No? smile.gif Then it's obviously something with the mods. And we can go further from there.

Yes? sad.gif Then it's obviously something with the base game. And maybe a reinstall is indeed the answer.

The Unofficial Patches can't be the problem. Those are well-proven to work with time. But anyway, that's what I would do, up above. Don't forget to rebuild your Bashed Patch once stuff is uninstalled, not that there'll be anything to rebuild at that point, but ya know what I mean.

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 27 2018, 11:23 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 28 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

We'll I discovered I'm missing the 4gb RAM patch so I'm going to see if that fixes it.

If not, it's reinstall time because I don't know if I can uninstall textures or not.

I had this level of frustration only once nodding Skyrim and it was a STEP build my pc was just at the limits of running.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 28 2018, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

Don't worry about a total reinstall yet. And don't add anything yet. No 4 GB patch yet.

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Nov 28 2018, 03:35 AM) *

I don't know if I can uninstall textures or not.

Can't they be uninstalled easily through Bash? If not for some reason, go into the original archive files, and study the structure of the folders which those archives added. Remove them manually. Try to get back to vanilla. See if your game works now. Go into interior and exterior cells, speak to NPCs. See if the issues in your OP are gone. If so, then we'll go from there. If not, you know it's something within your base installation.

I've done this a bunch of times: had some persistent problem (usually CTDs) then tried stripping my game all the way down to vanilla. My game always works fine once it is stripped down. So from there, I start building back up until I find the mod or program which was causing the problem.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Nov 28 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

We'll I installed the patch and it seems to be ok so far. Will test more thoroughly later when I have time.

Fingers crossed.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 28 2018, 02:07 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Good, I hope so too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 28 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Nov 28 2018, 06:49 AM) *

We'll I installed the patch and it seems to be ok so far. Will test more thoroughly later when I have time.

Fingers crossed.

Woot! Keeping my arthritic fingers crossed for you.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:58 AM