6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> General RPG discussions
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jun 15 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

I find it sort of strange that this thread hasn't seen activity in almost a year and a half. Let's liven it up, shall we?

Anybody here familiar with the Divinity series? I recently played and beat Divine Divinity, and I immensely enjoyed it. It was a phenomenal game at an incredibly cheap price (an absolute steal for US$0.89 on sale, and was worth significantly more) and I didn't have any particular expectations going into it. I want to start up Divinity II in the near-future. If I enjoy that, I may consider getting Divinity: Original Sin even though I'm not really a fan of turn-based gameplay.

Has anybody played Beyond Divinity, though? I was thinking about starting that up sometime (not necessarily soon) and it is sitting in my library, but quite a few of the opinions on it are lukewarm or disappointed in it at best, especially for those coming from Divine Divinity. I have other games in my backlog that I want to get to and it isn't a priority game at the moment, but some of the reviews and opinions worry me a bit about it. Did anybody here who played coolgrin.gif enjoy it?

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Jun 15 2017, 07:20 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 15 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #22

Paladin
Group Icon

Heh, my problem is that when I get into a game (currently ESO), I forsake all others and stay 'mono-gamous' for years at a time. For example, the last two decades of my gaming have involved no more than 5 games, typically played exclusively for 4-5 years each. wacko.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jun 15 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 15 2017, 02:41 PM) *

Heh, my problem is that when I get into a game (currently ESO), I forsake all others and stay 'mono-gamous' for years at a time. For example, the last two decades of my gaming have involved no more than 5 games, typically played exclusively for 4-5 years each. wacko.gif

Really? Interesting. Personally, I couldn't do that. There are definitely times I can get caught up in a game (e.g. Half-Life, Divine Divinity) for a stretch, but I also need some variety.

But hey, you're dedicated! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 1 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #24

Spam Meister
Group Icon

My problem is similar although I don't limit myself to 4-5 years per game. I usually play whatever game I find interesting until I don't find it interesting anymore. For some games this means just one playthrough (Bioshock 1 and 2), some multiple playthroughs (Deus Ex and VtM:B ) and some games just seem to go on forever. Early this year for example I celebrated ten years playing Oblivion; same character, no restarts.

I may miss out on other great games and experiences but hey, I let the adventures come to me... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 1 2017, 10:11 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
tegeus-Cromis
post Nov 1 2017, 11:41 PM
Post #25

Finder
Group Icon

Funny thing I find is that I find I stay with the same couple of games for years and years, like many here, but flip backwards and forwards between game types. On RPGs now, which means Oblivion and FO3 (well, sometimes Morrowind). But I know I will feel the urge soon to go on a big TBS binge, which means Civilization 4 and/or Europa Universalis 3).

Funny thing is I'm always one or more in each of these series behind, in some cases stuck there. Bounced right off Skyrim, but I wouldn't mind checking out FO4, I'm not sure it'll be my thing though. (Not strictly relevant to RPGs, I know, but Civ 5, I think, is a crime against humanity - on the other hand, EU4 sounds cool, just haven't got round to it, probly because I'd likely play nothing else for 6 months.)

[There is, actually, some mild relevance to TBS, in that I find I always play the games in an RPG sort of style. (You know, total world conquest OR higher living standards for everyone, plus free beer.) This style is frowned on by many players, who argue that the only issue is winning big and counting points. In other words, 'beating the game'. That's fine if it floats your boat, but I generally just like to build lots of cool stuff and do much big science...]

This post has been edited by tegeus-Cromis: Nov 1 2017, 11:48 PM
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 3 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 15 2017, 02:41 PM) *

Substitute gaming company for "game", and that's how I am. Since discovering Oblivion in 2008, it's rare that I step outside of Bethesda stuff. Which is kinda bad in a way because there are probably so many great games out there I'm missing. The only other game I've regularly played since 2008 is Sims 3.. biggrin.gif

Before 2008, I was trying a LOT of different games too, but mostly because of a game I saw way back in 2002, which I now believe was Bethesda. I was at a party in 2002, and somebody was playing something on Xbox (which was new at the time) and I began watching the TV. This game (whatever it was) had a lot of fog in it. I remember that I kept thinking a load-screen would pop up, as the game moves on to the next "level," but I was surprised that this game (whatever it was) kept going on and on and on. I kept thinking the player-character would run into an invisible barrier, as so many other linear games would limit us to from that era. But this game (whatever it was) just kept going on and on. No invisible barriers.

Knowing how I am, I would have asked the guy playing what this game was, and his answer (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind) would be too complicated to remember. Maybe I wrote it down. If so, I definitely lost that piece of paper. But this was okay, that game (whatever it's called) can also be found on Playstation, right?

blink.gif

Yeah, I didn't know MW was Xbox and PC-only at the time. I spent most of the 2000s looking for it though, convinced that the next RPG I'd find at GameStop would be THAT game I saw at that party long ago. .

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 3 2017, 01:20 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 18 2017, 05:10 AM
Post #27

Mouth
Group Icon

Can anybody point me in the direction of some good, isometric, real-time (with an option to pause combat, preferably) RPGs where you play as a single character? I'm not as interested in party-based ones, although I am not averse to them. (I still have yet to get my old files for Planescape: Torment off of my previous computer...) Also, if they are on Steam or GOG.

I have played Divine Divinity (which I have a serious urge to go back and replay). I have Grim Dawn in my library, which I am thinking of starting up soon. I can't think of other ones I have played or own at the moment. Any other ones people can point me to?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 18 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

What platform? I only started PC gaming 3 years ago, but I remember on consoles there was Champions of Norrath. I remember really enjoying that one. It is multiplayer, but you can just enter one character as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 18 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 17 2017, 11:10 PM) *

Can anybody point me in the direction of some good, isometric, real-time (with an option to pause combat, preferably) RPGs where you play as a single character? I'm not as interested in party-based ones, although I am not averse to them. (I still have yet to get my old files for Planescape: Torment off of my previous computer...) Also, if they are on Steam or GOG.

I have played Divine Divinity (which I have a serious urge to go back and replay). I have Grim Dawn in my library, which I am thinking of starting up soon. I can't think of other ones I have played or own at the moment. Any other ones people can point me to?

The single player is the hard part. Most of the ones that come to mind are all team-based. Some of the team games can be played with a solo character - like Pillars of Eternity. But it is really, really hard to do so.

There are the Torchlight games, but they are pretty shallow. Basically Diablo clones. There is Heretic Kingdoms, though I never went too far into it to really say how good it is. The first two Fallout games are a single character. You can have a companion in them, but don't have to take one.

I believe there is a sequel to Planescape on Gog. But never looked that much into it.

I am not sure if Underrail is a single character or team game, but you could check it out. Likewise Age of Decadence.

All these are on Gog.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 18 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

Fallout 1 or 2 perhaps? It’s not medieval fantasy but Khajiit wants to say followers aren’t crucial in those games (this one has never played them)?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 19 2017, 07:24 AM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

The urge to replay Divine Divinity overcame me, and I started a new game.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 18 2017, 10:15 AM) *

The single player is the hard part. Most of the ones that come to mind are all team-based. Some of the team games can be played with a solo character - like Pillars of Eternity. But it is really, really hard to do so.

There are the Torchlight games, but they are pretty shallow. Basically Diablo clones. There is Heretic Kingdoms, though I never went too far into it to really say how good it is. The first two Fallout games are a single character. You can have a companion in them, but don't have to take one.

I believe there is a sequel to Planescape on Gog. But never looked that much into it.

I am not sure if Underrail is a single character or team game, but you could check it out. Likewise Age of Decadence.

All these are on Gog.

Yeah, I figured the single-character part would make things difficult. But I am open to party-based ones. It's just that I know what most of those are, and have a couple in the backlog to get to anyways. Thanks for the tips.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 18 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Fallout 1 or 2 perhaps? It’s not medieval fantasy but Khajiit wants to say followers aren’t crucial in those games (this one has never played them)?

Those are pure turn-based though, which I really don't want. I did pick up the original from Steam just because it was free, in case I wanted to check it out. Medieval fantasy is not a pre-requisite either.

Then again, I probably should not be making my backlog bigger at the moment. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 19 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 19 2017, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 18 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Those are pure turn-based though, which I really don't want. I did pick up the original from Steam just because it was free, in case I wanted to check it out. Medieval fantasy is not a pre-requisite either.

Then again, I probably should not be making my backlog bigger at the moment. tongue.gif

Oh oops, Khajiit half read your op and missed where you said “real time”. Sorry sad.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 19 2017, 06:28 PM

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 28 2017, 02:05 AM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

As we don't have an Elder Scrolls Series sub-forum I'm not sure where to put this. I reckon this thread is as good a place as any.

I recently stumbled on a several month old (as of late Dec 2017) roughly three hour interview with the man many consider something of the father of the Elder Scrolls series, Julian Lefay, at YouTube! It rambles a bit at times, but contains much good info. Julian himself seems a most interesting fellow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 3 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

An interesting, well made analysis of the evolution of TES titles.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2020, 02:20 AM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

January is the 12th one down

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 1 2020, 04:15 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 31 2020, 08:20 PM) *

Nice! That was a good gallery! I sent my GF the pic of the Bearperson Monk earlier today (she loves grizzly bears).

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2020, 04:41 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 31 2020, 11:15 PM) *

Nice! That was a good gallery! I sent my GF the pic of the Bearperson Monk earlier today (she loves grizzly bears).

I love the idea of a Bear Monk! It is just insane.

This one is probably January's Shadowrun character - Dora the Kneecapper

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 1 2020, 04:57 AM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 31 2020, 10:41 PM) *

My Kenku Way of Shadow Monk caught a bad case of werebear lycanthropy. So every full moon he turns into a Werecrowbear! laugh.gif

That image does look like a Shadowrun character!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Apr 1 2020, 05:04 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2020, 06:09 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Mar 31 2020, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 31 2020, 10:41 PM) *

My Kenku Way of Shadow Monk caught a bad case of werebear lycanthropy. So every full moon he turns into a Werecrowbear! laugh.gif

That image does look like a Shadowrun character!

OMG, a Werebear Rampage!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Apr 1 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 1 2020, 12:09 AM) *

Lol, that’s hilarious! I guess mine is a bit screwed up because of the crowfolk influence, because he tries to fight everybody in the party every time he turns. laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:27 PM