Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Since I don't already have enough games and projects..., Tips for somebody new to ESO?
ArtemisNoir
post Jul 21 2023, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Evoker

I picked up ESO, since it's an Epic freebee this week.

I haven't actually installed ESO yet, I'm just digging around, and figured this was a good place to ask... Is there anything I should be aware of?

Also, I have played MMOs in the past (namely LOTRO and GW2) but I'm usually a single player gamer at heart, so how much of the game can be played solo? I'm not antisocial, as such...but, I think we all know what online communities can be like. To that end, are there any particular servers you guys would recommend? I recall in LOTRO that some servers were more/less pleasant than others, for example, and in my experience the dedicated RP servers were typically friendlier.

Finally, how does it compare to the Elderscrolls series?

Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 21 2023, 01:44 AM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

I find ESO very solo friendly. The game is beautiful and, for the first time in TES history, staves are good weapons rendering playing as a pure mage perfectly effective. Though I consider being multiplayer a drawback, the sheer mass and scale of the game (which dwarfs TES IV and V combined) means by the time you explore everything, you'll have forgotten parts and they will seem new again. Almost a limitless supply of play, repeatable quests, things to do. There is player vs player for those who enjoy that but it is never forced upon you and is not a large part of the game. Buffy spends 95% of her time playing solo and completely eschews player vs player.

Anything about your character can be changed except their class. You can have multiple characters. Character creation is very good.

Assuming you are going to play on PC, you only have two servers: PC NA (PC, North America) or PC EU (PC, Europe). You cannot change servers once you commit unless you want to create another account. Chorrol has our own small guild active on both servers. Mostly we just get together to socialize or maybe run a dungeon or such once a month.

The game is quite complex and can overwhelm at first. It also (being multiplayer) is a dynamic and changing world so leaving the game for a few months and coming back requires plenty of catchup on what has changed.

I found UESP wiki a fantastic source of info when I played TES IV and V and such is happily the case with ESO as well. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online

The game is free to play and you should start that way to check it out. If you fall in love with the game, you will likely want to pay a subscription for ESO+. Costs 8-10 US$ a month depending on how long you subscribe at a time and the perks are well worth it if you play regularly.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jul 21 2023, 03:21 AM
Post #3

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(ArtemisNoir @ Jul 21 2023, 12:34 AM) *

1. Also, I have played MMOs in the past (namely LOTRO and GW2) but I'm usually a single player gamer at heart, so how much of the game can be played solo?

2. To that end, are there any particular servers you guys would recommend?

3.Finally, how does it compare to the Elderscrolls series?

Ok, so I'm also a ESO newbie, having been put off by the MMO aspect for years (and years), until I finally cracked in March and gave it a whirl - in no small part inspired by the adventures of characters here in the Today In Tamriel thread....

1. Aside from meeting Ghastley, Grits and mALX for the Chorrol Guild meetup, I have played 100% solo with no issues. There are some World Bosses and Dungeons that are designed for more than one player, but you'll almost always bump into another solo player there too - I've not talked to any of them yet! But have teamed up and cleared the dungeon without even needing to speak! It's weird, it's an MMO, with a HUGE focus on solo adventuring would be my take.

2. Only 2 servers as such, North America or EU. Depends on where you live. EU is much quieter (which can be good), NA is much, much busier (which can also be good). I'm mainly EU, but have set up a character on the other server so I can participate in Guild meets in NA, as the majority of the players here are from the US. What I think you're meaning about pleasant/toxic communities would be more Guilds you can join (ie there are rp guilds, trading guilds, social guilds etc etc). I haven't really any experience with them, and if you did join one and didn't like it you could just leave. You have no need to join unless it appeals to you though.

3. Yeah, it fits. I LOVED Daggerfall and Morrowind, was meh on Oblivion, liked Skyrim... Several people here LOVED Oblivion... Honestly it fits well with previous games, and I genuinely think there is something for anyone who has enjoyed a TES game.

As for advice on getting started (if you do decide to try it), the only thing I would say is a massive downside is storage. I ended up buying the Subscription simply because I wanted the craft bag. Without that, you run out of space quickly. However, I played for 3 weeks before taking that plunge, as I wanted to be sure it was going to be worth it.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 21 2023, 01:12 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

A bit of clarification, first. An account gives you access to both NA and EU servers, but any character you create is tied to the server of creation, and can’t be moved to the other. Some purchases are per server, and some global, so if you buy a Chapter, yiu can play on both, but buying a house is just on one. Mostly that’s a distinction between in-game, and cash purchases. Crowns are bought with cash, but spent in-game, to confuse you, or bridge the gap.

The Chorrolites exist as a Guild on each server, and I am Guildmaster in each. Because the name is the same, I have to keep some things matching to avoid confusing the client code, but they are separate, and you join each one. It is purely a social guild - no trader, no trials, etc. Monthly chat and organized mayhem.

Once you have enough development in your character, some of the group content is possible solo, especially with an AI companion. Some is deliberately made to require real people, but that’s what guilds are for.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Jul 21 2023, 06:22 PM
Post #5

Evoker

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

The game sounds very promising, indeed. I love that they have designed it to be as solo-friendly. I also like that there are just the two servers; it simplifies things, considerably. Hmmm... ESO wasn't really on my radar before, so I'd forgotten there's an actual Chorrol guild; if I do eventually install the game, that would be something to look forward to!

Yeah.... storage. That is ALWAYS how MMOs get you to fork over real money. It's so carefully deliberate...Once you get in deep, and you're hooked, you simultaneously begin to realise that you're running out of storage space...and they just happen to have a convenient solution, as long as you're willing to open up your wallet. biggrin.gif

All of that said, I'm going to put this on hold for now. Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield have reserved spots on my SSD, and I suspect I won't have enough space for ESO, as well. It would be fine if there was a choice in where you install the game (I have a very large HDD), but when I tested this, I had no option but to install it on my C Drive.

If I wanted to play ESO now, I'd need to pick up another SSD. I know they're quite cheap these days... However, my gaming-related budget is pretty solidly booked for at least the next 6 months.. so it will need to wait.

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Jul 21 2023, 06:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 21 2023, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

I haven’t actually played the game in… oh, I guess a couple of years now, but I would add that I enjoyed my time with the game. Indeed, I’d still be playing it if I had more time to devote to it. Should you start playing, the Chorrolites are a good group, and I found willing to help you wherever they can. In truth, I miss going to the guild meets and running around killing world bosses and such. Maybe one day I’ll pick it back up.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:43 AM