42 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy's Basket of Potpourri, Musings, ask Buffy, etc
Acadian
post Feb 4 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Buffy's Basket of Potpourri! This thread is intended as a collection of musings, articles, screenshots, short stories and other fun things that don't necessarily form a part of Buffy's neverending story.

Both Buffy and Acadian are also quite happy to answer questions relating to anything about the bowgirl, her game, character, story or life in Tamriel. This is the closest Buffy will ever get to a blog or web site of her own. Please drop in anytime for a goblet of Tamika's (Buffy's fave), cup of apple berry juice (Angel's recipe) or even a warm mug of mulled cider. Comments and questions are warmly welcomed and appreciated. happy.gif

Buffy is a Bosmeri adventuress. Orphaned by the age of twelve, the citizens of Bravil raised her. She is active with her guild of mages, skilled with bow and magic and a graduate of the Arcane University. Her birthday is Rains Hand, the 19th, 3E 415 under the sign of the Mage. She loves Tamika's wine, waterfalls, her precious mare Superian, and visiting her many friends throughout Tamriel.

She travels intertwined with the spirit of an old ethereal paladin named Acadian who sometimes offers advice. Sometimes she listens. Acadian was a sky warrior, and is older than Nirn itself.

Buffy and Acadian are inseparable, and freely cross planes between worlds together. Although Buffy considers Acadian a guide or mentor, it is unclear who learns more from whom.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Sep 4 2021, 01:13 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 4 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

Breaking Boundaries, Breaking Rules

My name is Acadian. I have the honor or traveling with the young mystic archer from Bravil. If you detect a sense of intensity in Buffy about her craft, it is not by chance. Three decades of my life were spent as a paladin serving the Noble Order of the Eagle Globe and Anchor. The Order trained me as a sky warrior.

I identify with the bowgirl in several ways. I know the feeling of invincibility while hiding in the sun, scanning for long range targets using detect life systems. I can appreciate Buffy's exhilaration, deadly skill and voracious devotion to her craft. I understand her mindset as a predator who fears and respects her prey. I know well her need for speed, satisfied by the majestic power and beauty of a steed called Superian - or Phantom in my case.

Buffy and I share darker things. Nightmares of being charged by an armored axe-wielding orc, or starring down the intakes of a hostile jet closing at the speed of sound, commencing a deadly aerial dance. Fear of being detected - whether by the stealth ellipse that turns bright, or the blood chilling warning tone of being locked by an enemy missile system.

I found that Marine snipers, in their own way, seemed to share that same odd mentality of lethality and vulnerability. It seems Buffy lives there too. I attribute my survival not to quick reflexes, but to the philosophy that Boderi Farano shared with Buffy during Episode 43 of her journal:

Boderi dropped her chin toward her chest for emphasis as she enunciated, "Precisely." She then looked into my eyes and continued, "You need to anticipate challenges and determine solutions to them before they ever present themselves. Very few of us can come up with an ideal solution in the span of a few heartbeats," she paused to chuckle softly, "and you, my butterfly dragon, are not one of those few. When you are fighting to protect someone, or you have your horse nearby, you cannot disappear and think. That thinking must be done in advance. If you can imagine a fight, you can control its outcome before it ever occurs."

It was easy for Boderi to teach that lesson, for I gave it many times to young Marine aviators.

I had the honor to hold the reins of many steeds for thousands of hours, but Phantom holds a special place. She could not match the nimble maneuverability of her foes in a close range fight. Bringing her aboard the carrier required a precise anticipation of her response time. Although the beautifully sleek gray fuselage could be hidden in the sun, her characteristic twin trails of black smoke sometimes frustrated the effort. Her internal load of 25,000 pounds of JP-5 could last well over an hour, or be guzzled to flameout in a mere eight minutes of full afterburner. Yes, she was vulnerable.

But she was also a hunter, and beautifully elegant in her lethality. Phantom was an interceptor, not a dogfighter. Her long range detection and weapon systems were deadly. She was at her best as a sniper.

And by Mara, she was fast.

When asked, she would willingly accelerate to over twice the speed of sound, leaving behind fire, smoke and even the screaming thunder of her twin J-79s.

In less than a minute she could gain four miles of altitude, or devour twenty miles of ground beneath her mighty wings.

In the right hands, she could locate, run down and destroy any foe.

There came a time when my service to the Order was no longer required. I was free to fall in love with a cloud and reflect upon what it felt like to touch the sun. If I could break the barrier of sound itself, could I not break the barriers between reality and fantasy, flesh and pixels, the simple mind of a man and the inscrutable mind of a woman? Could Phantom . . . carry me to Tamriel?

Screenshot1 Courtesy of SubRosa

Screenshot2 Courtesy of The Vyper

This post has been edited by Acadian: Feb 4 2011, 03:21 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 4 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #3

Finder
Group Icon

Amazing insight into one who is rapidly becoming my favorite author with every chapter of 'Buffy' that I read.

When I read this line...

Three decades of my life were spent as a paladin serving the Noble Order of the Eagle Globe and Anchor. The Order trained me as a sky warrior.

...I grinned and thought Marine Aviator. Military aviation has always been an interest of mine. From building models as a kid to watching 'Wings' on the Discovery Channel as an adult. It is awesome that you were a Phantom driver. She was a stallwart workhorse of her time. The most awesome part is that you were able to do this, and you are obviously passionate about it, in service to this great country of ours. We can never thank you enough for that. If I were a Marine, I would say 'Semper Fi', but since I never have been, I will just extend a personal thanks for guarding the walls.

Thank you, Acadian. goodjob.gif

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 4 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheOtherRick @ Feb 4 2011, 12:29 PM) *

We can never thank you enough for that...I will...extend a personal thanks for guarding the walls.
Thank you, Acadian. goodjob.gif

Ditto!

Amazing background, Acadian! I remember the first time I saw an F-15 leave the hanger and in 25 foot shoot straight upward into the sky, the afterburners flaming...and deafening! It was thrilling to watch, can only imagine what flying a power like that would be!

I see this thread becoming an underground hot spot!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 5 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah, yes, the F-4u Phantom... one of the finest 'Nam era fighter jets in the skies. Probably not nearly as hard to fly as the U-2 spy plane (and considerably scarier to get spotted in one of those), but nevertheless, I have a healthy respect for the people who piloted them. If only you got the chance to pilot an SR-71 Blackbird, though, THAT would have been a trip! biggrin.gif

Thank you for your service in that war, Acadian. Though I (and many others) disagree with the reason we were there, that is not your fault. It is always an honor to serve your country, even in a war we had no place in to begin with. Thank you for your courage and sacrifice. Oorah! salute.gif

She travels intertwined with the spirit of an old ethereal paladin named Acadian who sometimes offers advice. Sometimes she listens. Acadian was a sky warrior, and is older than Nirn itself.

Taken very literally, this is quite true! (The first Elder Scrolls game, which gave birth to Nirn, came out in 1994. Vietnam occured in the mid 60s through early 70s.)

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 5 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

I was delighted when Dagail gave Buffy Manduin's medallion, but ‘Buffy's Basket of Potpourri’ is even better. I know I will drop by often with my mug of mulled cider. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 7 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #7

Finder
Group Icon

Switching gears...I have a question about Buffy's world. What mods might you be using for immersion. I have a few mods installed for this. Real Hunger, Real Sleep Extended (which offers a portable bedroll), The Cyrodiil Transportation Network, to name a few. I do not have OOO, MMM, FCOM, or any other major game changing mods installed, nor am I in any hurry to install them. The largest mod I do have would be Cobl with the Cobl Races added. Better Cities is one I have considered, but I am starting to ramble...

What mods would you suggest to get me more immersed in Talendor's Nirn?

PS - No Wryebash or BAIN either...I am using OBMM and I have the latest OBSE

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 7 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

My goodness, thank you to the kind reception to the thread and to our short story relating some of my experience to Buffy's. My intent with the story was to bring depth to some of the thinking that the bowgirl and I share, and to highlight our ability to cross boundaries together and live in each others worlds.

I hope I have not implied credentials that I do not hold. My time as a Marine pilot was from 1975 - 2005. Although I have indeed stared down hostile intakes and been locked by enemy missile systems, I did not do so over Vietnam.

The Marine Corps flew Phantoms well into the 1980's as they gradually transitioned to Hornets. VMFAT-101 trained our last 'Phantom Phlyers' in 1987. The RF-4 reconnaissance versions remained in service into the early 1990's. Long before that happened, I had transitioned from F-4's to other aircraft. Phantom will always hold a special place for me though, as I hope you can tell.

While many of my contemporaries went on to fly the F/A-18, my path was different. I made a rather radical transition to helicopter gunships, where I spent much of the rest of my career. When asked to compare jets and helicopters, I am fond of saying that jets are neat; helicopters are fun. I chose to highlight Phantom here because she relates so much more to Buffy. The bowgirl would find gunships entirely too 'up close and personal' for her sensibilities - too much like Mazoga's style of fighting.

Rick, thanks for your question on mods for immersion. We don't use any that force behavior. Buffy is real good about when she needs to eat, drink, sleep etc. The very short answer to your question is three mods: Portable Campsite, Saddlebags, Voice Set.

Portable campsite and saddlebags let Buffy travel realistically and help her to live on the road or off the land. She stops and camps when it gets dark or she gets tired. The saddlebags help to organize her inventory and compensate for her low strength. The voice set mod really helps bring her to life. It isn't so much the wonderful phrases that she says as it is giving her a clear and distinct real voice. Whatever I imagine she might say, I know exactly how it sounds.

Below, let me post a more detailed response from another thread that I know you have seen - I make it available in case others may be interested. I'll then follow that with a list of our mods.

* * Acadian quote from Bethesda forums:

Although I have sometimes in the past 'become' my characters, such is not the case with my current character. Rather I travel with her as a spirit that flows within and around her. Therefore it seems perfectly natural to change views between first and third person rather frequently.

I don't really make any rules for my character; rather, I get to know her. Over time, she has developed her own set of rules. She does indeed get tired, hungry, thirsty, injured, dirty and experiences the full range of elven emotions and bodily functions. She tends to those things as she needs to without any prompting from me and, in fact they occupy a fair amount of her time. She even feeds her horse.

I have never known her to 'wait' to heal. She is quite accomplished and comfortable with restoration. She is an empathic healer and can only heal by laying on of hands. By doing so however, she can assess wounds, diagnose and even determine some of what is in the heart of her patient. She must accept some of the pain from her patients to heal them however. She is also rather adept with alchemy.

Speaking of alchemy, she carries quite a precise collection of food and drink with her. One of her favorite drinks is appleberry juice made from Angel's recipe (apple + blueberry). She labels vials of the juice by name. Similarly, she labels restore fatigue potions 'Water' to simulate the content of the goatskin water bags she carries. She probably goes through about ten vials of water daily. Her hair conditioner contains just a touch of ectoplasm, along with some rosemary oil and aloe vera for conditioning, glow dust for shine, and some finely ground bergamot for a nice citrus scent.

Every rider for the Black Horse Courier has a name, as do most of the foresters and many of the Legion Riders she encounters in her extensive travels.

She does not use magic to travel, but does use magic to teleport her horse to her side within her game. It is an imaginary magic she learned called 'The Call of Corsair'. It can be accomplished in the game by fast traveling to her current location (which effectively summons your horse) or using the command console (moveto player).

We do occasionally use fast travel, but it is done as an administrative task like saving, exiting or starting the gameplay session. Having walked or ridden every inch of Cyrodiil during her very very long career, we have no problems focusing our time together on something we want to do. While we travel the roads and overland extensively, we have no problem at all sometimes simulating an uneventful trip, or more often, just a portion of that trip.

Although we do use mods, our list is not extensive. In fact the mods we find most helpful for roleplay are a set of portable camping gear and saddlebags for her precious black mare, Superian.

* * List of Buffy's mods:

-Utility: OBMM, UOPs, OBSE, Pluggy, Wrye Bash
-Cosmetic: Cosmetic Compilation Revised (CCR-EE), Biu's Adventurous Body (BAB)
-Clothes/Armor: BABarized Brash Leather Armors, BAB Fancy Shirt, Luchaires Neck Seam Concealer
-Misc: Dark UId DarN, Unlimited Rings, Dude Where's my Horse, Lady Deadlocks Love Your Horse, Voice Set (Innocent), Spells be Effective, Chase Camera Mod, Short Grass, Disenchant Spell, Actors in Charge, OSR Poses 1, 2, 3 w/translation, See You Sleep (with portable campsite patch)
-Companions: Slofs Summonable Epona, Slofs Oblivion Horses
-Items: Bag of Holding, Portable Campsite, Simple Saddlebags

I will say that I am a fan of the command console. For example, when Buffy says Superian is the fastest horse in Cyrodiil, she's not kidding as we have used the console to change the mare's speed. Similarly, when Buffy wants to bring Superian into a city or even a fort or ruin, we use the command console (moveto player). Buffy would be devastated if some of her friends perished; thanks to the command console, such dear friends who go into harm's way such as Mazoga are essential. I will generally use the command console over a mod when it can do the job.

Now, as Buffy will often say as she enters a city, "Well, looks like we're not out of the woods yet. Oh wait. . . we are!" Or as she sometimes says on a beautiful night, "Oooh! Look at the stars!" tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Feb 7 2011, 11:49 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 7 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

Similarly, when Buffy wants to bring Superian into a city or even a fort or ruin, we use the command console (moveto player).

In that case, allow me to recommend this mod. You're new PC is plenty powerful enough for it, so we might as well put some of that muscle to good use! wink.gif

I myself use a number of immersion enhancing mods, such as:

-Real Hunger COBL (which allows me to eat mod-added food to satisfy my cravings)
-FF Real Thirst, with COBL support so I can get water from some mod-added wells. It even comes with its own buyable campsite, as well as the ability to place your own wells! biggrin.gif
-Real Sleep Extended, this one in particular allows me to pick up and carry bedrolls around. Great for when I need to "rough it" in the wilderness.
-All Natural, in specific the darker nights option. It's set up for my nights to be 80% darker than in vanilla. Now I REALLY need those torches I carry around everywhere.
-Enhanced Economy, which makes it much more believable to deal with merchants, as they now have limited money to buy my treasures.

Ands that's just a skim over my own load order (which I will not post here because it is just too big)!

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Feb 7 2011, 11:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 8 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #10

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks Thomas! I bet that info will be of help to Rick also. I appreciate you jumping in since I'm quite the novice with mods. Once we complete Buffy's Book 1, I expect we'll take a good break during which time I hope to learn so much more about Wrye Bash and Bain and get smarter at installing/managing mods. I'll probably be asking for some help from you then. I also hope to get Kvatch Rebuilt installed during that break. Then eventually, we'll begin turning Book 2 from concept to prose. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 8 2011, 05:31 AM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide for Newbies.

You know, I'm actually thinking of starting a mod questions thread here in these forums. I'm definitely no expert, but when it comes to actually using and installing the buggers, I've got some decent experience that I'm more than willing to share. Enough to give me a respectable voice over at BGS, at least. cool.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 8 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Feb 7 2011, 10:31 PM) *

Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide for Newbies.

You know, I'm actually thinking of starting a mod questions thread here in these forums. I'm definitely no expert, but when it comes to actually using and installing the buggers, I've got some decent experience that I'm more than willing to share. Enough to give me a respectable voice over at BGS, at least. cool.gif

Personally, I think that is a stellar idea. I could certainly use some help in that area. goodjob.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 8 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #13

Paladin
Group Icon

I think its a great idea too! You certainly have the expertise. Like I said, I'll be looking to hone up some probably mid to late summer. I'm glad you put that WB link on here. I'll need it later!

Heh, you can answer all those hard questions, so Buffy can worry about things like hair conditioner recipes, singing, how to poison ghosts and the new dance routine she's working on for the Mages Guild talent contest. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Feb 8 2011, 06:00 AM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 8 2011, 06:14 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

IPB Image

Dear Ask Buffy;

These Oblivion worlds are wreaking havoc on my hair and fur. Would you know a good hair conditioner recipe I can use to put the softness back in?

Your friend, Maxical.

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 8 2011, 06:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 8 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Paladin
Group Icon

From Buffy's quill:

Oh, Maxical, what a beautiful picture! Your hair looks beautiful, and what a lovely color!

I bet that a nice ring enchanted with resist fire will help keep the dry blasting heat of the Deadlands from playing quite so much havoc with your hair and fur.

Well, Ardaline and I use the same recipe for our conditioner. The base is equal parts rosemary oil and aloe vera. Then drop in just a tiny glob of ectoplasm (yes, I know it sounds horrible but you don't have to tell anyone). Those ingredients really provide the conditioning and will help put the moisture back into your hair. Then add to your mortar a pinch of glow dust for shine. Finally, sprinkle in just enough finely ground bergamot to give the mixture a nice citrus scent. Then just grind it all up with your pestle and pour it into a pretty pink vial!

Oh, and it works best if you comb it into your wet hair after you shampoo. You don't have to use very much at all, then just leave it in so your hair can absorb it. Like I said though, don't use too much or it will make your hair go kind of flat and oily. I'm honestly not exactly sure about your fur. Perhaps you could try rubbing just a tiny bit of the conditioner all over you and see it that helps your fur? Hee! Try some on your cute little whiskers and let me know if it makes them soft too!

If you don't gather your own ingredients, most any alchemy shop or guild alchemist carries what you need to make it.

I hope that helps! Hugs,

Buffy

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 8 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

Er...did I use too much? - Maxical

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 8 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Dear Buffy:

Your latest adventure was quite an out of this world experience! (*groan*) It sure makes my latest adventures seem horribly mainstream, knowing there are people out there visiting Oblivion just to learn how to live there.

I was wondering, how do you feel about what you have learned during your extended stay in Peryite's hunting field? What was it like to hunt as dangerous a game as Clannfear and Daedroth?

Finally, you have become a hunter to rival Hircine in that chapter, what do you think will happen come the next Bloodmoon?

Regards,

Thomas Kaira, AKA Derelas

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 8 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #18

Paladin
Group Icon

From Buffy's quill:

Dear Thomas,

How do I feel about what I learned in Peryite's realm? Well, a little overwhelmed actually, but I'm glad now that Acadian and I kept slogging along shrine after shrine - despite our discouragement and sometimes disagreements - until we found Peryite. I learned what I had been seeking. I'll also be happy if it's a long time before I ever see another Daedric shrine!

You know the reason I went in there was to learn more about Oblivion. I have come to believe that no one will help Savlian close that gate unless I do. Ungarion told me it was a sigil stone that keeps the thing open, and I'm willing to bet it'll be guarded by plenty of Daedra. I figured I needed to learn how to fight and survive on their turf, and Peryite helped me to do that.

Fighting Daedra is still very frightening, but I have learned that they are simply dangerous enemies, much like other foes, replete with strengths and weaknesses. I know now that when I face them, I will not freeze up or pee my greaves. I will do whatever I have to in order to get to that sigil stone that holds open the gate at Kvatch. And I'm hoping what I have learned will make my nightmares about clannfears stop.

I have read about Hircine in books at the Mystic Archives. Here is really all I know: 'Hircine is the Daedric prince whose sphere is the Hunt, the Sport of Daedra, the Great Game, the Chase, and is known as the Huntsman and the Father of Manbeasts.' I'm a hunter, but when it comes to creatures, I'm not fond of hunting them for sport or game or chase as Hircine seems to fancy. Maybe by 'manbeasts', he means minotaurs? I've heard of them and seen drawings, but have not encountered one. I thought that he might be able to help me learn how to hunt Daedra, and I know his shrine is north of Bravil. But when I visited it, he would not talk to me. His followers told me to come back when I was older. I don't believe I need his help now though, since Peryite helped me.

Oh, and I'm sorry I don't know what a Bloodmoon is. I have not heard of that before. I know there is lots I still don't know.

Buffy

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 9 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #19

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 8 2011, 11:43 AM) *

Er...did I use too much? - Maxical

IPB Image

To use one of your lines...SPEW!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Now THAT is funny as hell!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Feb 12 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 8 2011, 12:00 AM) *

...the new dance routine she's working on for the Mages Guild talent contest.

Should I ask my Darwen to give her some pointers, or does Buffy prefer to keep her clothes on?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure Darwen would remember enough about the dancing to teach it to anyone. OK forget that idea kvleft.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

42 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:18 PM