Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You know you've played to much Oblivion, when...
Decrepit
post Nov 25 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #181

Master
Group Icon

You notice your last usable portable urine bottle is filled to the half-way mark. You vow to order ten more off Amazon with one-day shipping after installing updates to the Unofficial Patches.

You sit at the keyboard. Your muscles begin to cramp. You realize it's been quite some time since your last break. You exit the game and stretch your legs, walking around the home. While doing so you notice a note on the mantle. It is signed by your significant other. In it, he / she states that he / she is leaving you for abandonment and alienation of affection. The note is dated a year and a half ago.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 25 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #182

Ancient
Group Icon

For me = I heard the music playing in the background of my dreams (because I had fallen asleep playing).

But the worst for me was Fallout 3; where I "saw" an empty "Nuka Cola" bottle in the parking lot of my son's school while driving him to school one day that he had missed the bus; thought the school maintenance man was carrying the "Burnmaster" (he was using a backpack style leaf blower); almost picked up a bottlecap I passed on the way in to sign my son in since he was late - and was tempted to crawl in and explore a sewer manhole cover.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 25 2015, 06:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 25 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #183

Spam Meister
Group Icon

@Decrepit and mALX - rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

I have one: When you carefully touch an object on the table before sitting down as you donīt want everything to explode biggrin.gif

(It may have been said before...)

This post has been edited by mirocu: Nov 25 2015, 08:02 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 25 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #184

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 25 2015, 02:02 PM) *

@Decrepit and mALX - rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

I have one: When you carefully touch an object on the table before sitting down as you donīt want everything to explode biggrin.gif

(It may have been said before...)

I told my son he should "save" before entering his classroom (because they were having a test); so he could reload and have a do-over if he didn't do well.

(he didn't, and I actually had to pay 25.00 for him to retake the test; but when I first told him to "Save before going in," he nearly choked himself laughing, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 25 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #185

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 25 2015, 08:53 PM) *

I told my son he should "save" before entering his classroom (because they were having a test); so he could reload and have a do-over if he didn't do well.

(he didn't, and I actually had to pay 25.00 for him to retake the test; but when I first told him to "Save before going in," he nearly choked himself laughing, lol).

That is just so awesome rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 25 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #186

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 25 2015, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 25 2015, 08:53 PM) *

That is just so awesome rollinglaugh.gif

He didn't think so, he said not to "embarrass him" around his friends, laugh.gif (but his friends did think it was awesome, thank goodness, rollinglaugh.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 25 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #187

Paladin
Group Icon

I step out of the gym around sunrise and note the beautiful God rays mod in action, fantastic graphics and solid FPS. . . . tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 25 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #188

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Nov 25 2015, 09:38 PM) *

I step out of the gym around sunrise and note the beautiful God rays mod in action, fantastic graphics and solid FPS. . . . tongue.gif

... and for a second wonder where Buffy and Superian have gone off to laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
tegeus-Cromis
post Jan 16 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #189

Finder
Group Icon

When you're sailing down Southampton Water on the Isle of Wight Ferry and imagine you're on the Niben. See this Minecraft map. (I got a very funny look from a non-player friend on the ferry when I told them I was looking out for a Strange Door. Had to abandon the explanation quickly...)

And indeed, that is the Great Forest to the west (well, the New Forest, actually, but it's kinda Great.) Southampton is not actually completely surrounded by water (it did have a big moat in medieval times, though and it still has a lot of the walls), but Winchester stands in for Bruma, and the land does slope up to the South Downs, so they're kind of the Jeralls (not a lot of snow though, even this time of year). Oh, and we do have a ruined abbey close to where Cadlew Chapel is.

And then it all starts to fall apart. There's a honking great oil refinery where Leyawiin should be and Winchester is actually the old Saxon capital, not Southampton. And it gets worse further afield. But maybe Anvil is Bristol, who knows? So far, not seen any Khajiits in Dorset, though Devon and Cornwall could easily be Bosmer country.

As for the Isle of Wight, well, old Tamriel maps do show an island in Topal Bay (which is the Solent, of course). Coastal erosion, we get a lot of it.

[And, yes, there we see the deadly effect of combining two obsessive pastimes...]

This post has been edited by tegeus-Cromis: Jan 16 2016, 03:35 PM
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 16 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #190

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(tegeus-Cromis @ Jan 16 2016, 09:33 AM) *

When you're sailing down Southampton Water on the Isle of Wight Ferry and imagine you're on the Niben. See this Minecraft map. (I got a very funny look from a non-player friend on the ferry when I told them I was looking out for a Strange Door. Had to abandon the explanation quickly...)

And indeed, that is the Great Forest to the west (well, the New Forest, actually, but it's kinda Great.) Southampton is not actually completely surrounded by water (it did have a big moat in medieval times, though and it still has a lot of the walls), but Winchester stands in for Bruma, and the land does slope up to the South Downs, so they're kind of the Jeralls (not a lot of snow though, even this time of year). Oh, and we do have a ruined abbey close to where Cadlew Chapel is.

And then it all starts to fall apart. There's a honking great oil refinery where Leyawiin should be and Winchester is actually the old Saxon capital, not Southampton. And it gets worse further afield. But maybe Anvil is Bristol, who knows? So far, not seen any Khajiits in Dorset, though Devon and Cornwall could easily be Bosmer country.

As for the Isle of Wight, well, old Tamriel maps do show an island in Topal Bay (which is the Solent, of course). Coastal erosion, we get a lot of it.

[And, yes, there we see the deadly effect of combining two obsessive pastimes...]

I can see the similarities, and actually made me wonder if Bethesda used it as a basis originally for their map. Very cool, and can see how great the connection would be to someone immersed in Cyrodiil !!!! Awesome!

--------------------
+Quote Post
tegeus-Cromis
post Jan 16 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #191

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jan 16 2016, 04:44 PM) *

I can see the similarities, and actually made me wonder if Bethesda used it as a basis originally for their map.

I strongly suspect coincidence, I'm just doing that good old human pattern recognition thing. However, the whole Solent/Southampton Water complex is a bit special, not so much estuaries in fact, we're looking at post-glacial drowned river valleys (reas), maybe 10,000 years old or so, plus a weird double tide as a neat extra. Can't be many other places much like that on the whole planet.

Ah, tides. That explains how ships get up the Niben. The game is just showing us the place at low tide. In that case, the funny thing is that most sailings in real life used to depend on high tide (we have many more ocean terminals now, so not as necessary) except for Southampton with its double ones. It still used to have dock basins, though, just to increase the wharfage, but they didn't have lock gates, except for the dry dock. Those all host waterfront housing now.

And I've just got another one. Away to the east, from Portsmouth (no Tamriel equivalent) onwards into Sussex, the coast forms a series of marshy inlets with some surviving wetlands behind them. One of the few traditionally malarial areas in Britain, along with the Thames marshes, though the risk is very low (may be rising - global warming). So now I know where to look for my Argonians.

Increasingly looks like Morrowind is the Greater London Metropolitan Area (which includes chunks of surrounding counties). Better keep an eye on the Ministry of Truth, lest it collapse and trigger a gigantic eruption up at Hampstead Heath...

This post has been edited by tegeus-Cromis: Jan 16 2016, 11:24 PM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 9 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #192

Spam Meister
Group Icon

You know you've played too much Oblivion when your character has more traditions in the game than you have in real life tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:56 PM