Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A gate to oblivion... out here!?
idk
post Apr 16 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Retainer

Maybe I'm not far enough in the game to really know about the gates but earlier today I was riding out in the middle of nowhere in the mountain area in the north east part of the map. Fending off some imps and wolves as the usual things, while I'm looking for out of the way crypts or caves or whatever I can find and then I look farther up the hill and I see a gate to oblivion just sitting in the middle of nowhere. It just caught me by surprise I went out looking for caves and found another portal.

How many gates are open and how many can I find at the moment? I've closed the one at kvatch but have gone no further in the story and I've seen this one.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post Apr 16 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

A LOT!
Check this map
Just turn on the gates.

--------------------
''Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.''
- Albert Einstein

''One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.''
- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
Parkillous
post Apr 17 2006, 02:10 AM
Post #3

Evoker

Truth be told the first time I saw that there were like three Oblivion gates right outside the castle walls i was scared s***less, i also find it depressing when the sky goes red and it ruins the happy atmosphere of the towns sad.gif

I still havent worked up enough courage to go into any gate besides that of Kvatch, maybe its just laziness cos i cant be bothered getting to the top of a tower and removing a stone again etc...

are the normal gates harder, easier or the same as the Kvatch gate?

two things about that map:

-one gate near Lewayiin is missing.

-and why is there a gate in Valenwood, i thought you couldnt go there? or can u travel on that little road only.
+Quote Post
idk
post Apr 17 2006, 03:34 AM
Post #4

Retainer

Is all of oblivion in a world of lava and fire?

It would be cooler to go into gates that had a change of elements.
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Apr 17 2006, 06:02 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow HyPNO, thanks a zillion! That map toggle link is a priceless tool for playing the game. How'd you find it, if I may ask? ohmy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
ThanadoS
post Apr 17 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Agent

what the?! i thought there where like 13 ! Holy shizzlee :/ Man i don't know about you but doesn't those gates get boring after a while? Get in, kill some stuff, get the whole bloody way up the tower, take that stone (which is useless meanwhile) crash the whole thing and repeat?
+Quote Post
Konji
post Apr 17 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #7

Mouth
Group Icon

the stone useless? Ever clicked on it??? You enchant stuff. smile.gif

On the gates not being there - They open gradually, not straight away. The map is simply saying there is a site for an Oblivion gate there, and a gate will appear in the future.

On Valenwood - You can go pretty much as the map shows into Valenwood so yes, gates can appear there. Of course there is no Settlements.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Black_Waltz
post Apr 17 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #8

Retainer

QUOTE(Konradude @ Apr 17 2006, 10:21 AM)
the stone useless? Ever clicked on it??? You enchant stuff. smile.gif

On the gates not being there - They open gradually, not straight away. The map is simply saying there is a site for an Oblivion gate there, and a gate will appear in the future.

On Valenwood - You can go pretty much as the map shows into Valenwood so yes, gates can appear there. Of course there is no Settlements.

How do the gates open? Is it based upon level or progress through the main quest?

I find the gates kind of... Scary. tongue.gif They always have nasty beasties outside them and turn the sky a nasty colour. *shivers* Have to get rid of them and I do not want to have a whole load I need to do at one time. :-p
+Quote Post
xycolian
post Apr 17 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Apr 16 2006, 10:02 PM)
Wow HyPNO, thanks a zillion! That map toggle link is a priceless tool for playing the game. How'd you find it, if I may ask? ohmy.gif

Well, I was the one who found it on the web and decided to post it here so that everyone could use it. Link

--------------------
Adoring Fan

Tamriel is nothing more than Lorkhans plane of Oblivion... -Mankar Cameron
+Quote Post
Konji
post Apr 17 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

I think the gates open by level. All the gates go after you finish the main quest, and I finished it after entering only two gates.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post Apr 17 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Apr 17 2006, 07:02 AM)

QUOTE(xycolian @ Apr 17 2006, 12:03 PM)
Well, I was the one who found it on the web and decided to post it here so that everyone could use it. Link

Just as xycolian said he found it first.I was just ''distributing'' it further.
QUOTE(Konradude @ Apr 17 2006, 12:07 PM)
I think the gates open by level. All the gates go after you finish the main quest, and I finished it after entering only two gates.

No,they don't open with your level.I was level 30 and no gate was open until i closed the Kvach gate.So there you go,the gates open as soon as you close the Kvach gate.

--------------------
''Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.''
- Albert Einstein

''One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.''
- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
Furious_George
post Apr 17 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

After you close the Kvatch gate the 'random' gates open 'randomly' wink.gif They don't depend on level, and just pop up from time to time. For example, I was playing a quest and one popped up just outside Bravil. I ended up loading a save prior to the gate that opened, did a few things differently, and when I went back to that spot, no gate was there.

You may close as many as you like, but it will take a very long time. I closed 4 or 5 before going main quest and closing the ones you need to close.
+Quote Post
Cadaver
post Apr 17 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #13

Evoker

The reason all of Oblivion looks like "hell" is because you are entering the realm of the Daedra Lord of DESTRUCTION!! That is how he shaped his lair. Yes other daedra lords probably have different atmospheres, but then, they arent tearing open gates trying to invade the mortal realms, so we dont get to see them...

Modders could make some though!! (hint hint, wink wink)

Cadaver

--------------------

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be.... (Maynard James Keenan - Judith)
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Apr 17 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, xycolian - THANK YOU for finding the toggle map and how did you come acrost it? It's a great resource. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
xycolian
post Apr 17 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #15

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ibis @ Apr 17 2006, 09:25 AM)
Well, xycolian - THANK YOU for finding the toggle map and how did you come acrost it? It's a great resource. biggrin.gif

I googled it tongue.gif

--------------------
Adoring Fan

+Quote Post
idk
post Apr 17 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #16

Retainer

QUOTE(Cadaver @ Apr 17 2006, 07:41 AM)
The reason all of Oblivion looks like "hell" is because you are entering the realm of the Daedra Lord of DESTRUCTION!!  That is how he shaped his lair.  Yes other daedra lords probably have different atmospheres, but then, they arent tearing open gates trying to invade the mortal realms, so we dont get to see them...

Modders could make some though!!  (hint hint, wink wink)

Cadaver

Ok now I'm confused. I'm not terribly far into the story but you are saying that there is no other daedra then the destruction one? kvleft.gif kvright.gif
+Quote Post
xycolian
post Apr 17 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #17

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(idk @ Apr 17 2006, 01:02 PM)
Ok now I'm confused.  I'm not terribly far into the story but you are saying that there is no other daedra then the destruction one?  kvleft.gif  kvright.gif

no, there are a lot more than just One Daedric lord (I believe that there's ten and then there's two very secret ones (ones in my sig))

--------------------
Adoring Fan

+Quote Post
Parkillous
post Apr 17 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #18

Evoker

In the game messages it once said "there are 16 daedric princes/lords, each with his own plane of oblivion".
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Apr 18 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Yeah the gates open up in a completely random order, but I'm pretty sure there's a limit to how many can be open at a time, so if you ignore every gate you see don't start worrying that you're going to get a situation like on that map where they're as numerous as starbucks.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Black_Waltz
post Apr 18 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #20

Retainer

Well that is a relief. I do feel the urge to close them, though, if they are too close to the road. I like my happy skies. :-p
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:43 PM