14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pillars Of Eternity
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2015, 03:35 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

I went and bought The White March expansion pass. Right now only Part 1 of the White March is available. You buy it standalone for about $15. I decided to buy both parts from the link above since I have played the game enough to know I am going to want Part 2 when it comes out, and this way it saves me about $5 overall.

It also came with a preorder bonus. It turned out to be a ring that adds Endurance twice per rest period, and a giant miniature space piglet pet. That is Miss Piggy off at the far right of the pic.

The expansion also adds a couple of Companions. One is a Rogue, who I am already looking forward to finding. I was surprised that there were no Rogues in the original game. Except for the Adventurers you hire at inns. The other is a Monk, who I am not sure I want to bother with.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 31 2015, 03:41 AM
Post #22

Paladin
Group Icon

laugh.gif Boo has been replaced by a piglet!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 31 2015, 03:45 AM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

Because my new Skyrim toon is in the midst of the Civil War quest line (she's a Stormie, but getting tired of hearing the rhetoric), we took a break from schlepping all over with the Biggest Nord that Ever Walked Out of Skyrim. Yup, she's got a companion, a custom voiced mod named Valfar. I'm thinking of renaming him to Valdimar, because he reminds me so much of that bigger than real life Nord. Voice to match, too.

But we digress . . .

So I stepped over to my MacBook Pro and fired up PE. Currently SeJin is a Ranger (it seems that these are my preferred play style) with a Bear companion. Just leveled up to 2 and made Ursula a Faithful Companion. Working our way to the first town. Thinking of customizing the portrait, I'd have to do a little digging around first. Not sure if I can do so on the Mac.

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Aug 31 2015, 03:45 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

Acaidan: I was thinking of Boo as well! Hamsters and rangers everywhere! Rejoice!

haute ecole rider: Valfar looks creepy. Like an Aryan Brotherhood enforcer. ohmy.gif I prefer a nice, friendly zombie instead

I have not tried a Ranger yet. But from what I read they seem to be a viable class, unlike Dragon Age, where they nerfed archery. I hear that with version 2.0 of the game, they fixed some issues with the animal companions not leveling up, so now they are a lot more potent.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 31 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

When SeJin leveled up, I didn't notice if Ursula leveled up too. I'll have to go take a peek.

The Mac App Store versions tend to lag behind the PC versions, but I'm on the lookout for the White March.

I haven't played this kind of RPG in over ten years. It's bringing back tons of memories for me. Namely one called Pillars of Garendall, a Mac-only RPG that let you play as a Fighter, Scout or Wizard. I always liked the scout/ranger class best, as I prefer to take on my enemies from a distance but can go toe to toe if necessary. The Wiz always died if a puny little mud crab moved to the tile next to him, while the Rocks-for-Brains always had to get up close, even when he was outclassed, before he could deal some damage.

So that's what I tried to do with POE. What I do like about this is that I can customize my character, so that's really much nicer than POG. The graphics are good, too, though I'm so used to Oblivion/Skyrim.

What I hate about this game is pretty much what I hate about these types of games - namely the top-down view (I guess you call it isometric?) which doesn't feel all that immersive for me. But that's okay, the story line is already pretty intriguing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

I like the isometric view. It works better for strategy style games, where managing multiple characters and positioning is important. One reason I never use companions in Bethesda games is they always run in front of you when you are shooting, or they shoot you in the back. That kind of thing doesn't happen in isometric games, because you can control the actions of not only yourself, but your companions.

Since you forced me to, I created a Ranger to try out, and took a lion companion. Turns out the Lion has a roar power that frightens enemies and gives them penalties to things like their accuracy. The trouble is I am never sure if he has done it yet or not, and if I miss it he just stands around doing nothing until I realize I need to make him attack again. So I think I will create a new character with a different companion.

But I did think the ranged combat worked out well. Wounding Shot worked very well at hobbling most enemies and slowing them down. I noticed that the Rogue class gets a sneak attack on all enemies that are hobbled. So it looks like a Ranger and Rogue would be a deadly combo.

I am now wondering how a ranged Rogue would do? I think the devs intended the Rogue to be mainly a melee fighter, but it seems most of their abilities and talents work at range as well. Except I know their Backstab talent only works up close.

I just tried it out with a Hearth Orlan, and a Ranged Rogue is very powerful. All Rogues automatically get Sneak Attack, which does an extra 50% damage to enemies who are blinded, hobbled, flanked, prone, etc... It also works on all attacks in the first two seconds of combat. So a Ranged Rogue's first shot is always going to be a sneak attack.

The Rogue picks from Hobbling Strike or Blinding Strike at character creation. If either one hits it insures a Sneak Attack on all your hits afterward. Hobbling Strike seems ideal for a ranged character, as it slows your enemy down. If you have a Fighter with you (and you should!), their Knockdown will also provide you with more Sneak Attack opportunities.

The downside is that unlike the Ranger, you don't get that Animal Companion to run interference for you, and you definitely don't want to be alone with this character. The upside is Sneak Attack makes you a beast with a bow. I was dishing out far more damage with the Ranged Rogue than the Ranger. The downside is that I also drew more fire, and when I got hit it really hurt. This is definitely a great idea for a glass cannon type character.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 31 2015, 08:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 31 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #27

Paladin
Group Icon

Drawn in by all this talk of ranged combat, animal companions and glass cannons. . . . tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 31 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

I think you should give buying Pillars some serious thought. I think you would really like it, given how much you enjoyed Baldur's Gate II. It is definitely an archer-friendly game (unlike Dragon Age), and a glass cannon type character can work really well here so long as they have a Mazoga to run interference for them.

For me the biggest difference between Pillars and the old BG and NWN games is the Attributes, and what they affect. In the old games if you wanted a Fighter, you put your points in Strength and Constitution. If you wanted an Archer you put them in Dexterity. If you wanted a Mage you put them in Intelligence, etc...

But Pillars changes how all that stuff works. For example, Might is important to almost all characters because that is your damage bonus for everything, melee, ranged, and magic. Constitution is what keeps you alive. Nuff said there. Dexterity is important because it is what reduces the time you spend doing nothing between attacks. Perception is important because that is your To Hit bonus. Resolve is important because it adds a small bonus to your Deflection, and it is your defense against enemies Interrupting your attacks, and finally it is your Will save vs mind attacks. Intellect is the only true dump stat for some characters, in that it affects the range of area of effects and durations. For Fighters not a real big deal. But for a mage it makes a big difference.

I am finally getting the knack of distributing points around, and which ones are important for various classes. Like a lot of games, you really don't get enough points to spread around, considering how just about everything matters. So I started using the console to add another 8 Attribute points after character creation. That seems to work well, without making a ridiculously overpowered character.

I tried a little more of the Ranged Rogue with a Wood Elf this time. What I have observed is that Sneak Attacks are what makes this character work. That first shot in combat that is a guaranteed Sneak Attack always does a lot of damage. So do the shots following Hobbling Strike and your team Fighter's Knockdowns. But once those Sneak Attack opportunities are gone, your damage output really drops. So the longer the fight goes, the harder it becomes to hurt the bad guys.

The Ranger OTOH, is a lot more balanced. She doesn't do that walloping damage to start with as a Ranged Rogue. But when you add her animal companion in, she's no slouch either. Unlike the Rogue, she's just as good after all the Knockdowns and Hobbles have been used up. Plus her Companion runs interference for her, meaning she needs less armor, which in turns means faster attacks.

Now that I have played through the beginning "Tutorial" section of the game I have learned a few things as well. The Culture you choose determines your starting weapons and armor. But don't pick a Culture just to get a sword or a spear. There is a merchant right by you when you start, and you can sell the weapons you start with for anything else you might want. Don't bother buying armor unless you want something heavy to start with. If you explore the map you can find a dead body in the south east with a suit of Leather, which is a good medium armor. Then once you start fighting bad guys, lots of suits of Hide and Leather will become available.

The following is very spoilery, so don't read if you want to find it all out for yourself: (spoiler quotes don't seem to work!)

When you have the big showdown with the bad guys who have taken Heodan hostage, you will probably have a lot of dialogue choices. Most of them don't really change anything. Don't lower your weapons, because you will still have to fight, but with your bare fists instead! Most of the other options seem to turn out the same, with Heodan being crippled and knocked down and a fight starting. The Lore option worked the one time I tried it, allowing Heodan to get away clean and start the fight without any wounds and debuffs. I did try sneaking in and avoiding the dialogue entirely by shooting the bad guy leader with a bow. That just resulted in Heodan automatically dying, so don't do that! (Though it is possible I targeted him by mistake!)

Once you run inside the ruin to hide from the storm, you will get some camping supplies and a dialogue choice to rest or not. If you rest, Calisca will run out on you while you are sleeping. So you will have to do the dungeon without her. If you don't rest, Heodan spends the whole time with some serious penalties from his debuffs that only rest can heal. If you try to be clever and say we'll continue on without resting in the dialogue - then rest anway a little while later - Calisca still deserts you. However, if you use the console to force a rest, the game doesn't seem to realize what you did, and Calisca stays, and Heodan gets healed. wink.gif Finally, if you manage to get Heodan through the battle outside without any crippling injuries the dialogue choice between pushing on immediately or resting never appears. You can then rest and Calisca will remain with your party!

But no matter what you do, both Calisca and Heodan die once you exit the ruin. So don't get attached to them.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 1 2015, 07:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 31 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #29

Paladin
Group Icon

That's great news. As you can imagine, I gave Dragon Age Origins an epic fail after trying very hard for about six weeks to like it. The sneaky rogue glass cannon or ranger behind a big critter both sound great for bowgirls. Do the rangers have any degree of druid type magicks?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 1 2015, 12:17 AM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

The White March dlc adds in some new Talents you can take starting at Level 2 that mimic some of the Class Specific Abilities. There is one called Aspirant's Mark that you can use 2 times per Rest. It mimics the Druid spell Nature's Mark. It is an area effect spell that reduces all enemy Deflection, Reflex, and Will defenses by -8.

That seems to be about it. There is no true multi-classing (yet at least). And Rangers don't get spells like in D&D. Most of their class abilities are geared toward either archery or their animal companions. But I do see an ability in there called Binding Roots that is similar to the old Entangle spell.

I just rolled another toon to experiment with. This was a Wood Elf Ranger named Skadi with a Wolf companion (Fenrir). She worked out really well, so I think I will be keeping her. I maxed out her Dexterity at 20, and she is pretty good with a bow. I noticed that the Wolf dished out a lot of damage. I have seen people say that it is one of the highest DPS animal companions, and I can definitely see that. It doesn't have any special abilities you have to manually activate, so it is pretty simple to manage. Just point and it bites.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 1 2015, 12:30 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 1 2015, 12:23 AM
Post #31

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh that sounds fabulous - a wood elven bow ranger with a forest critter and a tangling vines spell. That really is exactly the 'druidy' stuff I was hoping for and both those abilities are ideal for an archer.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 1 2015, 12:30 AM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

There are some things I have figured out about Defenses, and how combat works.

There are four types of Defense in the game. Deflection, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.

Deflection is your defense against physical attacks, be they melee or ranged, and I think a lot of physical spells.

Fortitude is used against things like poisons, and resisting knockdowns.

Reflex is your defense against area of effect attacks.

Will is your defense against mind-effecting things.

When you attack you roll a 1d100 and add in your Accuracy bonus. The defender's appropriate Defense score is subtracted from that. If the end result is a 5 or less it is a clean miss. If it is a 6 - 50 it is only a Graze, and you do half damage. If it is 51 or higher it is a Hit, and does normal damage. If it is a 95 or higher you get a Critical Hit, and do an extra +50% damage.

So what I see here is that Accuracy bonus you get from Perception not only helps you hit in the first place, but can be the difference between getting a Graze or a Hit, or a Hit and a Crit. The same is true of any Debuffing spells or powers that reduce your enemy's Deflection, like Aspirant's Mark.

Of course once you do hit, you roll damage based on your weapon, with your Might stat adding to it. Then the defender's Damage Threshold subtracts its amount from that, and you inflict what is leftover in damage. Usually Damage Threshold is a straight number, but armor, talents, and items can give bonuses or penalties to certain types of damage, like Burn, Freezing, Crushing, Piercing, and so on. Weapons and spells usually do one of those specific forms of damage. For example an Estoc does piercing damage. Some critters might have a higher than normal resistance to Piercing, and others a lowered resistance to it.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 1 2015, 12:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 1 2015, 03:58 AM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 31 2015, 01:38 PM) *

I like the isometric view. It works better for strategy style games, where managing multiple characters and positioning is important. One reason I never use companions in Bethesda games is they always run in front of you when you are shooting, or they shoot you in the back. That kind of thing doesn't happen in isometric games, because you can control the actions of not only yourself, but your companions.

I agree with all of these points - it really helps to plan out the attack before hand and to be able to tell your companions which enemy to go for. I was able to send Calisca and Ursula (my bear) to attack a bandit chief while I took out the bandit archer. It worked well - the two of them took out the more powerful enemy pretty quickly, and I was able to redirect them against the archer, by which time he was pretty hurt.

Since you forced me to, I created a Ranger to try out, and took a lion companion.
I forced you to create a Ranger? whistling.gif

But I did think the ranged combat worked out well. Wounding Shot worked very well at hobbling most enemies and slowing them down. I noticed that the Rogue class gets a sneak attack on all enemies that are hobbled. So it looks like a Ranger and Rogue would be a deadly combo.
Now that give me an idea . . . I had initially considered going with a Rogue character (that or a Druid), but settled on the Ranger as that had more Might.

Thank you for all the info. This is really my first D&D based RPG - and I had never played D&D, so I'm totally unfamiliar with all the terminology and rules. But I don't care beyond having fun following the story. However I do want my character to live long enough to get through the storyline! So your information breaks it down into more manageable chunks for someone like me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 1 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Aug 31 2015, 10:58 PM) *

I agree with all of these points - it really helps to plan out the attack before hand and to be able to tell your companions which enemy to go for. I was able to send Calisca and Ursula (my bear) to attack a bandit chief while I took out the bandit archer. It worked well - the two of them took out the more powerful enemy pretty quickly, and I was able to redirect them against the archer, by which time he was pretty hurt.

The downside to the isometric view that you might be feeling is that it feels less personal than the standard third/first person games that Bethesda does. In Sky, Ob, FO, and so on, you get up close and personal with your character. You see their face. In the games like Pillars, Baldur's Gate, NWN, and so on, you are withdrawn from your characters. You watch down from on high, like a distant deity manipulating their actions. The character portraits help alleviate that somewhat, because they give you a close look at each character's face. But for the the most part they are little squiggles on the screen. And I am sure that can be dissatisfying for many.

Since you forced me to, I created a Ranger to try out, and took a lion companion.
I forced you to create a Ranger? whistling.gif

That's like talking about having a great chicken salad, or pizza, or a cheeseburger. After hearing that, can anyone listening do anything other than go out and eat one themselves? biggrin.gif

Now that give me an idea . . . I had initially considered going with a Rogue character (that or a Druid), but settled on the Ranger as that had more Might.

Thank you for all the info. This is really my first D&D based RPG - and I had never played D&D, so I'm totally unfamiliar with all the terminology and rules. But I don't care beyond having fun following the story. However I do want my character to live long enough to get through the storyline! So your information breaks it down into more manageable chunks for someone like me.

I have been playing D&D style RPGs since, well, since playing actual D&D! laugh.gif Most computer games simplify the rules, even the ones that use them. Or at least they hide most of it behind the screen so you can just play the game. Pillars is actually lot simpler than the old pen & paper D&D games.

I have talked a lot about the nuts and bolts of the game and classes and how to make a character. But one thing I have not mentioned yet is the world itself. One thing that h.e.r. mentioned is how she liked the setting. I do too. It is mostly your basic fantasy setting, with very European-looking buildings and armor and clothing and weapons and social systems. Though unlike most this is more equivalent to the Renaissance Era than the Medieval. There are firearms in the form of arabesques and blunderbusses, which from what I read are really awesome first strike weapons, but are so slow to reload they are useless after the first shot.

I will admit that the idea of any sort of firearms in a fantasy game turns me off. But the truth is it is no different than the Sengoku period of Japan, or Hideoyoshi's invasions of Korea, or good old Western Europe in the 14th and 15th Centuries, when plate armor reached its zenith precisely because it was the only thing that could stop a bullet. Movies and books set in those periods are fun, and I have to admit that playing a game set in one would be too.

Anyway, on top of the generic Fantasy world they do some really creative things with souls, and a naturally forming crystal called Adra. Adra absorbs the souls of people who have died, and in time transmits them to the Spirit World. Then after a while they return to the physical world born into new bodies. Basic reincarnation with some crystals acting as the duct work. Where it gets interesting is that there are scientists called Animancers who study souls, as well as rare people called Watchers who can actually see souls. There are also cases where souls become "Lost" and don't go on to the afterlife. Worse, there is a growing problem of the Hollowborn, babies born without souls. Sometimes the Lost Souls even find a home in these Hollowborn children.

The player character is a Watcher, and the game has some really neat stuff once your Watcher ability turns itself on. You start seeing the souls of people long dead, and reliving past events in the lives of people who are still alive. It is some very cool stuff, and it all fits together really nicely. I don't know where it is all going as I am still only at the very beginning of the game. But it really like it. It is a very welcome change from fantasy worlds I loathed, such as those of the Dragon Age and Witcher games.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 1 2015, 07:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 1 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

I also like how the choices you make in the dialogues open up some decision trees and closes off others. It has a major impact in how the game progresses and how the NPC's interact with the player.

So SeJin and her party just died. In Black Meadow. Fighting something called a Forest Lurker. After fighting two Forest Trolls one after the other. Guess I should have rested the party after that second Troll . . .

So I'm taking a break from this and going back to Skyrim for some im- im- immersion!

Can you tell I'm off from work today? biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2015, 12:55 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

Yay for staying home and playing computer games instead! goodjob.gif

I figured out how you can tweak the stats for your animal companion. This is after Skadi's wolf got knocked out in a fight with some Shadows. A 60 Endurance just doesn't cut it for a front line fighter.

You use the same line as when tweaking your player character, only you have to change the name Player to the animal's name. Of course it is not as simple as the name you see in the game. As with the regular companions, you have to find the internal name the game uses. Which of course is going to be vary with each animal companion in every game.

So start with:

FindCharacter {Name}

Use the name you gave your animal companion. It will spit out the internal name. Probably something like CRE_Wolf_Companion(Clone)_6. Then use that name in the AttributeScore code.

AttributeScore CRE_Wolf_Companion(Clone)_6 {attribute} {Final Value}

Raising the animal's Constitution will also raise up their Endurance, and your companion will last a lot longer.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 2 2015, 02:37 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 2 2015, 01:08 AM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

I can see this thread will be a great resource for anyone looking to play. Thank you for posting all these wonderful bits of helpful goodness as you discover them. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 2 2015, 10:19 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

After reading through this thread and some reviews on the Internet, I'll probably start PoE soon, especially if it's a successor of Baldur's Gate, which was my favorite game when I was younger.

My only concern is that I'll find it too difficult since I had many troubles with BG and so I cheated at times. But since I'm mostly interested in storyline, cheating from time to time probably won't ruin my experience with PoE.

Apparently so long as you are Cheat Mode, your achievements are disabled. Like I could give a crap about that.

rollinglaugh.gif Very much this!

This post has been edited by Lopov: Sep 2 2015, 10:31 AM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 2 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

So in the TES games, you cheat by opening the console with the tilde key. But in POE, how do you go into cheat mode? Noob question, I know, but I'd like to buff my party up a little more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

The exact same way. Except that once the console is open you also have to press the Enter key before you can type anything in.

--------------------
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:54 PM