Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Story of Trey- Chapter 13
treydog
post May 19 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 13

As I made the slow trek to the Urshilaku camp, I thought about trust. Nothing in my youth had made me believe in the honor or the honesty of others. Mostly, they seemed to be interested in what they could get from you. And, with that philosophy, I had become a thief. But then, I was accepted by House Redoran and made a member of a family. Even though they expected me to perform services for them, they repaid me with loyalty and honor. And then, despite all my worries about their reactions to my role as the Nerevarine, they had continued to support me. The fact was, they trusted me- knew that I shared their code of honor. So much so that they had even sided with me against their Archmaster. And that meant that I should have trusted them to be honorable and fair, as well. Though I didn’t realize it, my musings on trust would be tested much sooner than I had anticipated.

The camp was as I had remembered it- a small cluster of tents in the Ashlands, huddled on the coast of the Sea of Ghosts. These were the people to whom I owed the most, the people whose lives had been made harsh and savage by the constant scheming of the Empire, Dagoth Ur, the Temple, even the Great Houses. If I were to see the path of prophecy to its bitter end, it would be for the Ashlanders that I did so. After greeting the Urshilaku working among the tents, I approached Nibani Maesa’s tent and asked permission to enter. The wise woman smiled to see me, overcoming her usual reserve just a bit. When she asked me, “What news, outlander,” I showed her the tokens of the Great Houses that proved that I had fulfilled the Fourth Prophecy. Then I told her of the attempt by the Temple to lure me to Vivec City, where they no doubt planned to imprison or do away with me. A strange look passed over her face at that, and then she said,

“I have thought long upon the Sixth Trial, Trey. I was blind, but Azura's star has guided me through my dreams. Vivec's high priest, Saryoni, has asked to see you when you are Hortator and Nerevarine. Go to him, and demand to speak with the false god Vivec. Vivec has tried to keep Kagrenac's Tools secret, but you will need these tools when you stand before Dagoth Ur. Get Kagrenac's Tools from Vivec. They are the keys to the riddle of the Sixth and Seventh Trials.”

Completely stunned, I could only stare at her in amazement. How could Nibani, of all people, send me to the very stronghold of our enemies? When I caught my breath, I asked her what Kagrenac’s Tools had to do with anything. She quoted a verse from the Lost Prophecy that I had brought from the Dissident Priests,

“ ‘Star-blessed hand wields thrice-cursed blade.' Gilvas Barelo has told you of Kagrenac's Tools, the enchanted devices the Tribunal use to steal power from Lorkhan's heart. One of these tools is the blade Keening. Your star-blessed hand must wield Keening. If Vivec has this blade, it is your fate to take this blade from him.”

So quickly was my new understanding of trust to be tested- one of my closest advisers counseled me to rely on the honor of one of my greatest opponents. Though my mind rebelled, my heart knew that she was right. If all Azura had wanted was my death, she would have no need to go to so much trouble. Nibani was my guide, appointed to help me find my destiny. I had no choice but to follow her guidance.
Knowing that the ultimate struggle against Dagoth Ur was growing near, I decided to scout the approaches to Red Mountain before I went to Vivec. And, in truth, I was delaying the meeting with Saryoni, for I feared imprisonment and torture above all things. Although I knew that I must go to Vivec, must suffer whatever consequences were to come, still I put it off, with the excuse that I needed to know more about Red Mountain. What I discovered was the presence of evil, but I don’t think it stemmed from Dagoth Ur, at least, not directly. Near the foyada Bani-Dad, I came upon a Velothi dome, which seemed a good place to shelter from the ash-storm which had plagued me almost from the moment I left the Urshilaku. The runes on the entrance marked the ancient dwelling as “Shishi,” a peculiar name that I wish I had never heard. As I emerged into the entry, I nearly stripped over the body of a Dunmer sprawled across the floor. A quick examination revealed her to be a Telvanni servitor, and that she had been cut down by swords. Worse yet, she was unarmed, and the wounds showed that she had been running away from her killer. As I ventured deeper into the dwelling, I found more Telvanni cut down in their tracks. Then in the lower part of the dome, I found the greatest horror of all.

A person dressed in the bonemold armor of House Redoran, my House, stood with bared sword, surveying the carnage and searching the room. When I asked what passed, she turned with a snarl and attacked me. I blocked as best I could, while shouting,

“Cease this madness, Redoran! Do you not recognize one of your own House Fathers?”

My identification of myself as a ranking member of the House only seemed to redouble her fury, and it became clear that I was going to have to do more than block. Since her actions had shown her to be an outlaw, her execution was no more than simple justice. Even so, it went hard for me to be the purveyor of that justice. I heard a voice calling from above, asking,

“Anise? What are you playing at down there? Did you find another Telvanni?”

So there were others involved in this murderous rampage- perhaps they would be more reasonable about explaining their actions. When I reached the top of the stairs, that proved to be a vain hope, as two more Redoran guards set upon me. An icy rage overwhelmed me and I showed those rogues no more pity than they had shown the unarmed Telvanni retainers they had butchered. On the body of the leader, I found a partial explanation, a report that had been written in great haste. The document read,

CODE
As instructed, a party of five entered the Velothi tower of Shishi. Five Telvanni sorcerers fell and the tower is now ours, but we have suffered heavy losses. We will hold Shishi as long as we can and await your orders.

Brerama Selas

So, in addition to the crimes of murder and attacking a senior member of his House, this Selas added the venal sin of lying. Only three Redorans had been present, all hale and hearty. And the “five Telvanni sorcerers”? No more than simple unarmed servants, slaughtered when they were trying to escape. Unfortunately, the report was not addressed to anyone, but I vowed that I would find out who had ordered this atrocity. Whether the Telvanni had a legitimate claim to Shishi, I neither knew nor cared. Whatever the case, there was no excuse for this mindless brutality.

Sometimes, trust has to be paid for in blood. Although it horrified me that someone in my House could do such a thing, I was satisfied that I had been the instrument of justice. For good or ill, House Redoran would take care of its own.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
treydog   The Story of Trey- Chapter 13   May 19 2005, 02:34 AM
Soulseeker3.0   good job Trey!!   May 19 2005, 03:09 AM
minque   Well now..what a terrible discovery for our Trey, ...   May 19 2005, 12:13 PM
Fuzzy Knight   Great done... :goodjob:   May 19 2005, 12:14 PM
OverrideB1   Alas poor Trey, he finally discovers that not all ...   May 19 2005, 07:51 PM
treydog   After I had rested in Shishi, I continued south to...   May 24 2005, 01:52 AM
jonajosa   You always know how to present your work trey. Goo...   May 24 2005, 02:29 AM
Soulseeker3.0   I qoute Jona You always know how to present you...   May 24 2005, 02:57 AM
minque   Ah trey.....you amuse me as ever with your way of ...   May 24 2005, 09:41 AM
Wolfie   Lol i already read it, i found that line quite amu...   May 24 2005, 09:53 AM
Dantrag   I should probably just keep up with this continual...   May 27 2005, 09:13 PM
treydog   When preparing to meet a god, even a being who is ...   May 29 2005, 09:58 PM
minque   wow.......amazing this was, I fully understand Tre...   May 29 2005, 10:13 PM
Dantrag   still great :)   May 29 2005, 10:22 PM
jonajosa   Exactly Dantrag. :goodjob:   May 29 2005, 10:55 PM
Wolfie   Great work Treydog   May 30 2005, 01:59 AM
Soulseeker3.0   great Trey   May 30 2005, 03:09 AM
treydog   Upon leaving the Temple of Vivec, I experienced a ...   Jun 2 2005, 01:26 AM
Soulseeker3.0   congrats trey on agian giving us all a great story...   Jun 2 2005, 02:29 AM
Dantrag   awesome   Jun 2 2005, 03:33 AM
Wolfie   Coooooooooooooool :goodjob:   Jun 2 2005, 11:15 AM
Channler   It saddens me to read this, for it soon is coming ...   Jun 2 2005, 08:29 PM
OverrideB1   That's some powerful writing right there treydog. ...   Jun 4 2005, 01:28 AM
jonajosa   It saddens me to read this, for it soon is coming ...   Jun 4 2005, 08:49 AM
OverrideB1   I know treydog has been reluctant to read The Tale...   Jun 4 2005, 12:24 PM
Aki   Very Cool trey, i like your portrayal of Vivec. :g...   Jun 4 2005, 11:51 PM
treydog   The Urshilaku camp, for all its lonely desolation,...   Jun 5 2005, 04:06 AM
Aki   Wow, love the discription of the slopes of Red Mou...   Jun 5 2005, 04:34 AM
Veltan   Nice... I wonder if Trey will meet the ash vampir...   Jun 6 2005, 04:13 PM
Dantrag   oh, yeah....the door from koguruhn to red mountain...   Jun 6 2005, 04:16 PM
minque   That might be a good thing yes......especially...   Jun 6 2005, 06:16 PM
treydog   Sleep did not seem likely to come that night, so I...   Jun 11 2005, 08:14 PM
Fuzzy Knight   Great Trey... Keep it coming! :goodjob:   Jun 11 2005, 08:43 PM
Stargazey   Excellent....just.....excellent. :goodjob: :good...   Jun 11 2005, 08:48 PM
Wolfie   Awesome as always   Jun 11 2005, 10:31 PM
minque   Great Trey...just awesome, my myy now we´re gettin...   Jun 11 2005, 10:58 PM
Dantrag   I love this story. Trey, you make familiar things ...   Jun 12 2005, 01:58 AM
treydog   Acquiring Sunder brought me closer to my goal, but...   Jun 20 2005, 06:07 PM
Dantrag   awesome, as always. :D :goodjob:   Jun 20 2005, 06:10 PM
Zelda_Zealot   Good post! I liked the idea of Sunder talking to y...   Jun 20 2005, 06:11 PM
Fuzzy Knight   Wow... damn this was good Trey, I really enjoy you...   Jun 20 2005, 06:14 PM
Lucidarius   I have finally read your story - so far. It is ...   Jun 23 2005, 09:24 PM
minque   I just discovered I haven´t commented on this part...   Jun 23 2005, 09:38 PM
treydog   I had anticipated treachery from Dagoth Odros; I h...   Jun 24 2005, 12:17 AM
Wolfie   cool update, and i'm gonna post an update of my ow...   Jun 24 2005, 12:20 AM
Dantrag   cool addition Trey!   Jun 24 2005, 12:20 AM
Mazuk   I don't remember reading and of it before but I ha...   Jun 24 2005, 12:39 AM
minque   Oh an update! now we´re closing in rapidly.... ...   Jun 24 2005, 12:45 AM
Zelda_Zealot   Same here, I can see it now... "Step right up!...   Jun 24 2005, 02:36 AM
treydog   My map indicated that the main Dwemer facility, th...   Jun 29 2005, 12:32 AM
Dantrag   cool addition...I still have yet to read it, just ...   Jun 29 2005, 12:37 AM
Wolfie   Awesome, can't wait for the next update   Jun 29 2005, 12:45 AM
Fuzzy Knight   Ooho.. Great Trey, guess the very best is still to...   Jun 29 2005, 10:20 AM
Channler   Thank you much trey dog... I never finished the MQ...   Jun 29 2005, 08:22 PM
jonajosa   Great new addition. But will the story continue af...   Jun 29 2005, 09:06 PM
treydog   At last I stood before Dagoth Ur, my sword in hand...   Jul 4 2005, 03:38 AM
jonajosa   You and your extreamly long winded paragraphs. I n...   Jul 4 2005, 04:07 AM
Lucidarius   Thank you for a really detailed, wellwritten final...   Jul 5 2005, 12:47 AM
Wolfie   Cool, Trey finally polished of DU. You gonna do th...   Jul 5 2005, 01:02 AM
Veltan   Amazing. I'm a far-gone bookworm, and honestly th...   Jul 5 2005, 05:27 AM
Dantrag   *looks up at treydog with a cute, pouty face* I...   Jul 5 2005, 05:35 AM
minque   is this the end of Trey's adventures? Now let´...   Jul 5 2005, 12:25 PM
treydog   Epilogue At last, it was over. The blight and th...   Jul 6 2005, 02:50 PM
treydog   Normally, I try not to say too much "outside the s...   Jul 6 2005, 03:07 PM
Dantrag   Whoa, cool coneection. *goes to catch up on th...   Jul 6 2005, 03:46 PM
jonajosa   Normally, I try not to say too much "outside the s...   Jul 6 2005, 10:40 PM
Veltan   No story is truely complete without a drunken rage...   Jul 7 2005, 07:09 AM
Fuzzy Knight   Great as always Treydog! :goodjob:   Jul 7 2005, 11:55 AM
Soulseeker3.0   wow great job Trey, Great job indead. it is good t...   Jul 8 2005, 10:39 PM
Channler   That was awsome.. I don't know what else to sa...   Jul 11 2005, 04:20 PM
Lucidarius   That was a good "end" to a long and ente...   Jul 11 2005, 07:54 PM
OverrideB1   I've said it before, and I'll say it again...   Jul 11 2005, 08:07 PM
Kiln   Great story Trey you have a great writing style an...   Jul 11 2005, 08:30 PM
Kell-Reevor   I just finished chapter 9 so im almost caught up :...   Jul 12 2005, 08:55 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:56 PM