Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
haute ecole rider
post Apr 5 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #881

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 5 2020, 02:02 AM) *
Btw, are there graphics cards now that you can just USB, like sound cards? That would be snassy!

I doubt very much that you can USB graphics cards the way you can sound cards - I believe graphics still require wider bandwidth for data transmission than can be achieved via USB. The only eGPU’s I’m aware of require Thunderbolt 3 or the PC equivalent, and those provide up to 40 GIGABYTES per second of data transfer. In fact, the only usable eGPU’s I”m aware of require thunderbolt 3 connections, so if you don’t have a thunderbolt 3 (NOT a USB-C) port, you’re out of luck. indifferent.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 5 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #882

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Guess then I should focus on acquiring more RAM. Thanks for the info though, Rider smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Apr 5 2020, 05:00 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 8 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #883

Ancient
Group Icon

Okay, well = continuing with the issue of my PC; I happened to notice in tiny print (which is probably why I didn't see it originally) that in my Device Manager/Display Drivers/Nvidia GPU = it said "Windows has shut down this device due to error 43.

I looked that up; and it says that usually happens after either a Windows Update changes a driver so it is no longer recognized; or if you have installed some software recently that conflicts with your Nvidia card.

The last time I was on the PC, I was most def able to access the internet through Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. For some reason Mozilla is no longer showing anywhere on my desktop now; and Google Chrome is showing but nothing happens anymore when I click on the icon.

So now I'm stuck getting online via Internet Explorer, urgh. So, in trying to resolve my PC issues myself I followed the advice on some website that was attacking the Nvidia Error 43 issue. They said to make sure the computer booted in safe mode; and make sure all the Windows Updates were taken.

So I did. Grrrrrr. Well, Windows Updates can't install without access to the processes that are shut off in Safe Mode; but won't stop trying to install. So now my PC is stuck in a loop every time it tries to boot up/can't due to Safe Mode; restarts; tries to boot up; can't due to Safe Mode; etc. etc. etc.

Grrrrrr.

Computers used to have a way to get into DOS and bypass Windows to give commands = I might have been able to get into msconfig that way and change the command from safe mode to normal boot = maybe. But the only two things I can access now are the BIOS and the shell.

The BIOS boot options does give me the option of booting via either a USB or disk (I don't have any boot disk or thumb drive boot program; but a computer repair shop might)

I don't know how to work the shell; but I got the feeling it might be the way to either stall the Windows Update long enough to boot into Safe Mode or possibly command it to boot up in normal mode = I don't know.

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop that looping of the Windows Update vs. Safe Mode without a boot disk?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 11 2020, 11:01 AM
Post #884

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yesterday I took the time to properly set up my backup Win7 when it comes to internet.

I activated it on the computer and went online to update Windows Defender and Firefox as well as install my favourite extensions like Adblock, Privacy Badger etc. I also set up links to the forums, youtube and UESP. Everything to keep me going if need be without too much headache. I also copied over the very latest FO3 and Oblivion saves. Not that it was really needed but it doesn't hurt smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 11 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #885

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 11 2020, 06:01 AM) *

Yesterday I took the time to properly set up my backup Win7 when it comes to internet.

I activated it on the computer and went online to update Windows Defender and Firefox as well as install my favourite extensions like Adblock, Privacy Badger etc. I also set up links to the forums, youtube and UESP. Everything to keep me going if need be without too much headache. I also copied over the very latest FO3 and Oblivion saves. Not that it was really needed but it doesn't hurt smile.gif

Wow, you accomplished a whole lot in one day!!!

** On my PC issues = PC is in the shop. It is the graphics card. They are going to attempt to fix it; but said I'll probably need a new one. sad.gif It was a relatively new card! (just five years old). verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 11 2020, 06:53 PM
Post #886

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 11 2020, 06:52 PM) *

Well, everything went smoothly so it was done pretty quick smile.gif

** On my PC issues = PC is in the shop. It is the graphics card. They are going to attempt to fix it; but said I'll probably need a new one. sad.gif It was a relatively new card! (just five years old). verysad.gif

That's no bueno. A five year old graphics card already busted? And a Nvidia to boot?

Hope the computer shop can fix it!

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 11 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #887

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 11 2020, 01:53 PM) *

Well, everything went smoothly so it was done pretty quick smile.gif

That's no bueno. A five year old graphics card already busted? And a Nvidia to boot?

Hope the computer shop can fix it!

That was my feelings exactly. How can something so expensive only last 5 years? And if it can be built; it should be able to be repaired. NVidia should extend the warranty on them if they are that faulty; and let us send them in for free repairs (like XBox did over the RROD!)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 13 2020, 04:29 PM
Post #888

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, if I thought I was going to be able to play the old games on my laptop until my PC was fixed; I was wrong. My laptop is not handling Oblivion or Fallout 3 for more than about five minutes at a time before the fan starts racing and it shuts down. (and that is just playing it through Steam; not inserting a disk in the laptop or anything!) This is the laptop I used to game on, what happened to it?

The only games it seems to handle for more than a few minutes is the ones built into it when I bought it = solitaire, etc. verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 13 2020, 06:03 PM
Post #889

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 13 2020, 11:29 AM) *

Well, if I thought I was going to be able to play the old games on my laptop until my PC was fixed; I was wrong. My laptop is not handling Oblivion or Fallout 3 for more than about five minutes at a time before the fan starts racing and it shuts down. (and that is just playing it through Steam; not inserting a disk in the laptop or anything!) This is the laptop I used to game on, what happened to it?

The only games it seems to handle for more than a few minutes is the ones built into it when I bought it = solitaire, etc. verysad.gif

Did it get "upgraded" to Windows 10? There appears to be an unacknowledged bug in that which makes it spend all its CPU resources trying to find new Windows Updates. Turning off Windows Update stops it, but it also prevents you getting updates you need.

I gave the laptop infected with Win 10 to my mother, who does not have internet, so she can safely turn that off. tongue.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 13 2020, 06:23 PM
Post #890

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Apr 13 2020, 07:03 PM) *

Turning off Windows Update stops it, but it also prevents you getting updates you need.

I've always wondered about these Windows updates one "needs". I disabled it first thing eleven years ago and I'm still wondering what those important updates are.

I do update Essentials, Advanced Systemcare and Firefox though as none of those updates seem to fudge up my computer.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 13 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #891

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Apr 13 2020, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 13 2020, 11:29 AM) *

Did it get "upgraded" to Windows 10? There appears to be an unacknowledged bug in that which makes it spend all its CPU resources trying to find new Windows Updates. Turning off Windows Update stops it, but it also prevents you getting updates you need.

I gave the laptop infected with Win 10 to my mother, who does not have internet, so she can safely turn that off. tongue.gif

No, everything I own is still in Windows 7. I never update the OS's until they become stable options because I am just not technically savvy enough to work through all the issues.

Bill Gates making their OS's obsolete every couple years just really makes me not want to keep using Microsoft products; but...I know them; so they are easier to figure out for me.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 13 2020, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Apr 13 2020, 07:03 PM) *

Turning off Windows Update stops it, but it also prevents you getting updates you need.

I've always wondered about these Windows updates one "needs". I disabled it first thing eleven years ago and I'm still wondering what those important updates are.

I do update Essentials, Advanced Systemcare and Firefox though as none of those updates seem to fudge up my computer.

I ALWAYS shut off the automatic updates; and then just pick when I want to update them after making sure there are no issues with them. That "Windows Critical Update" that installed itself right before my PC broke actually bypassed my settings and installed despite them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 14 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #892

Master
Group Icon

Bill Gates making their OS's obsolete every couple years just really makes me not want to keep using Microsoft products; but...I know them; so they are easier to figure out for me.

That is one of the reasons I love the MacOS - it's upgraded every year, true, but each upgrade is FREE. Also, you can continue using older OS on older 'puters even after Apple stops supporting them. My previous Mac shipped with 10.5, I was able to upgrade the OS all the way to 10.11, which is something I haven't yet seen on Windows machines.

I know, many people say they can't game on Macs, and that isn't necessarily true, but I get it. There are not as many options available for Mac users, but I've been happy to run Win7 under BootCamp on that old Mac, and it was the best PC I've ever used. The only thing I didn't like about it was the amount of babysitting I had to do to keep Win7 running smoothly, and that was the BEST version of Windows I've ever used!

Not trying to start a Mac vs. PC war here - I talk to people every day and they love their Windows machines, even though they prefer iPhones to everything else out there. So I respect their choices.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 14 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #893

Ancient
Group Icon

The verdict is in from the computer repair shop. My Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti is officially declared dead; they said they can't repair it. My new Daughter-in-Law just happened to have bought a new PC recently that had a junky card in it that she didn't want; so she gave it to me. I am hugely grateful to her; despite it is an enormous step down in rendering = it will have to do. verysad.gif

The new card is a GTX 1650. I should have my PC back in a few days. It will be good to have my PC back; I have really missed it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 14 2020, 10:12 PM
Post #894

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm glad you'll have your PC back soon!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 14 2020, 11:44 PM
Post #895

Paladin
Group Icon

That is good news indeed, mALX. At least you can play and enjoy ESO, even as you strive toward an better graphics card. Woot!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 15 2020, 01:02 AM
Post #896

Ancient
Group Icon

It was so sweet of her to give me that card; and I really needed help if I wanted to play again anytime soon = so greatly appreciate it! I'm just still mourning my 780 Ti. It was the best GPU I ever had.

Really hoping this one will at least play ESO and Fallout 4. The benchmarks on it don't promise much.

This post has been edited by mALX: Apr 15 2020, 01:06 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 15 2020, 01:32 AM
Post #897

Master
Group Icon

Don't know how it compares--- but I have an MSI N750 Ti-2GD5/OC that I am not using....?

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 15 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #898

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 14 2020, 08:02 PM) *

It was so sweet of her to give me that card; and I really needed help if I wanted to play again anytime soon = so greatly appreciate it! I'm just still mourning my 780 Ti. It was the best GPU I ever had.

Really hoping this one will at least play ESO and Fallout 4. The benchmarks on it don't promise much.

It may not be that bad. The newer cards tend to get extra VRAM to keep up with newer monitor resolution, and the processor speeds and numbers of core also keep pace. That card is several generations later than your 780, and the reviews will be comparing it to its contemporaries, not the older cards, and likely with a higher resolution screen than you have.

I'm still running two GTX680's in mine for the triple-monitor setup, and I notice a bit of frame rate droop, but it's quite acceptable. I'd expect your results on a single monitor to be decent with a newish card.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 16 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #899

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Apr 14 2020, 08:32 PM) *

Don't know how it compares--- but I have an MSI N750 Ti-2GD5/OC that I am not using....?

Aw, thanks Treydoggie! I can't use it; they have already put my Daughter-in-Law's card in; but thank you so very much for the offer!

QUOTE(ghastley @ Apr 15 2020, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 14 2020, 08:02 PM) *

It may not be that bad. The newer cards tend to get extra VRAM to keep up with newer monitor resolution, and the processor speeds and numbers of core also keep pace. That card is several generations later than your 780, and the reviews will be comparing it to its contemporaries, not the older cards, and likely with a higher resolution screen than you have.

I'm still running two GTX680's in mine for the triple-monitor setup, and I notice a bit of frame rate droop, but it's quite acceptable. I'd expect your results on a single monitor to be decent with a newish card.

Oh, I so hope you are right! Yes, my monitor is an old one = an HP I bought in 2005; so really not sure if it will help or hinder.

On the 1650 = I spent some time the other day looking at Fallout 4 vids of the GTX 1650 in action on both "High" and "Ultra" (couldn't find any playing ESO at all) = it didn't impress at all. I don't know how the rest of my PC stacked up against what rigs they were playing on; but ... really hope mine is good enough to play better than what I saw on there.

verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 19 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #900

Ancient
Group Icon

Picked up the PC on Friday. I have been able to play ESO; (though with VERY reduced graphics settings). The game froze up after a couple hours gameplay; and I got a Windows warning message saying the computer had slowed down; and did I want to change the color scheme to "Windows 7 Basic?"

What would cause that?

--------------------
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 43 44 45 46 47 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:20 AM