4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ten Years of Oblivion, y'all.
Sakiri
post Nov 27 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

That's weird. My Win 10 almost never updates.

But good to know everything does run on it. Should I ever get the itch.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 27 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #22

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Nov 27 2018, 12:06 AM) *

mitocu you're one to talk! laugh.gif Mister "I got Skyrim on my shelf and have never played it!" laugh.gif

Hmm, not sure what the significance is. All I said was I bought Oblivion five times. But yes indeed, I do have Skyrim though never played it. Too busy playing all my copies of Oblivion laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 27 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Nov 27 2018, 12:11 PM) *

That's weird. My Win 10 almost never updates.

Nor did mine, but 75% of the CPU was used checking unsuccessfully for updates, without even using the internet. I'd turn off windows update, and kill the service task, and be OK for while, but whenever I did want to get an update, it would all turn itself back on. The looping task never got fixed by any of the updates applied, either. I found several reports of the same problem from others, and the fix was always to turn off automatic updates, and keep them off.

I gave the laptop to my mother, who has no internet connection, and can't use the Windows Update feature anyway, with it turned off. She'll never turn it on, so the problem won't come back for her.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 25 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Twelve years for me now in February. Blimey.

And the years go on... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 25 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #25

Paladin
Group Icon

Neat, mirocu! Or as dear mALX would say, 'AWESOME!' tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 25 2019, 08:01 PM
Post #26

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Sometimes it feels like I'm missing out when sticking to the same game instead of moving on in the series. But then Auriel's Ascension starts playing, I see Cyrodiil again, and I'm home...

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 25 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

Congrads, crow. Have yourself some cake.gif sir. You and I, we're the only ones (plus about four others in the new forums) who still can't get enough of Cyrodiil.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 26 2019, 02:23 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 25 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #28

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 25 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Congrads, crow. Have yourself some cake.gif sir. You and I, we're the only ones (plus about four others in the new forums) who still can't get enough of Cyrodiil.

Thanks for the cake, Renee! I need that after all the semlas I've eaten recently biggrin.gif

Oblivion is my home game, plain and simple. The way it works is; games find me. It's always been like that more or less. Not gonna go through it all now but when Oblivion came around it was just another game to explore. But even early on the scope of it told me this was not gonna be a short-lived journey. I actually got a little scared to not have time for something else anymore, especially since I initially intended to play another game first. I had even started to read that game's manual in preparation. But for whatever reason, Oblivion jumped up..

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 25 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah me too. It literally jumped out at me, this game. It changed my life. I had substance abuse problems back in the latter 2000s that I was really struggling with. So this game, which pretty much began to steal away ALL my available free-time, was quite the blessing because it gave me something to do, assuming my daughter was at one of her friends' places, or whatever.

And I'm glad IV was my first Elder Scrolls experience, not III. I'm glad my first was the one everyone used to call "generic." I realized some time in 2009 or 2010 that if this game is a generic, streamlined, dumbed-down fantasy game, then I'm a lover of generic, streamlined, dumbed-down fantasy games. :tongue: From my perspective, Oblivion was not really generic, streamlined, or dumbed-down. After playing all those linear games from the '90s and 2000s, TES IV (to me) seemed absolutely spectacular and open, with lots to do and plenty that's never even gotten done.

That being said, i wish you would try Skyrim, crow. You already have the game. And you don't have to use Steam, although I don't wanna get into how to avoid Steam publicly, I do know of someone who's avoided it for many years, and he's not had any problems.

There, I said it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 25 2019, 10:03 PM
Post #30

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 25 2019, 09:59 PM) *

And I'm glad IV was my first Elder Scrolls experience, not III. I'm glad my first was the one everyone used to call "generic." I realized some time in 2009 or 2010 that if this game is a generic, streamlined, dumbed-down fantasy game, then I'm a lover of generic, streamlined, dumbed-down fantasy games. :tongue: From my perspective, Oblivion was not really generic, streamlined, or dumbed-down. After playing all those linear games from the '90s and 2000s, TES IV (to me) seemed absolutely spectacular and open, with lots to do and plenty that's never even gotten done.

Completely agree.

QUOTE(Renee @ Feb 25 2019, 09:59 PM) *

That being said, i wish you would try Skyrim, crow. You already have the game. And you don't have to use Steam, although I don't wanna get into how to avoid Steam publicly, I do know of someone who's avoided it for many years, and he's not had any problems.

There, I said it.

Thanks, but I have no interest in playing Skyrim.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Mar 15 2019, 10:51 PM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

Ugh, don't get me started on the whole "generic/dumbed down/etc." stuff that this fanbase uses against every subsequent game. Especially when most of the people who say that garbage love the game that STARTED the streamlining (Morrowind). If there were more Daggerfall fans that were more vocal or still populated the fanbase, they'd be saying the same garbage about Morrowind. Hell, I bet there were even some Arena fans back in the day that complained that DAGGERFALL "dumbed down" mechanics. Streamlining isn't inherently good or bad. It all depends on what exactly you do. Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim all have both good and bad examples of streamlining.

I think this obnoxious "dumbing down" thing is mostly just people who feel this overwhelming need to feel superior on the Internet because they, for whatever reason, can't accept that there are different tastes and there other good games that don't fit what they want. And the only way they can feel superior is by being condescending to others and games they just don't like.

Anyway, Skyrim was my first one. To be honest, I didn't like Oblivion at first because I didn't expect it to be so different from Skyrim. But I gave it a chance and I started to really enjoy it. I came to actually love how different each game feels yet they all feel like they fit together in some way. Admittedly, I don't love it as much as Morrowind or Skyrim, but there is still a lot to love about it. For example, Oblivion has better overall side quests (i.e., not main quest or faction) than both Morrowind and Skyrim, IMO.

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 25 2019, 05:03 PM) *

Thanks, but I have no interest in playing Skyrim.

Just curious, 'Rocu: Why don't you ever want to play Skyrim? Besides the fact that you are a filthy pleb. Just kidding. But seriously, how come it doesn't interest you?

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Mar 15 2019, 11:00 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 16 2019, 09:25 AM
Post #32

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Mar 15 2019, 10:51 PM) *

Just curious, 'Rocu: Why don't you ever want to play Skyrim? how come it doesn't interest you?

I've played Oblivion for 12 years and counting and it's like saving up to have long hair; it's time invested and you don't give that up easily. I've played other games in between, sure, but they are temporary which is something Skyrim couldn't be as it's open world as well. Yes, I do play Fallout 3 too but I can't have yet another game in that category. Also, Skyrim is too similar to Oblivion with spells and archery etc. I think this is the best I can explain why. I don't have an inherent hate for Skyrim or anything.

Oblivion is where it started for me and I still remember that indescribable feeling I got when I was new to it. It's the only game that ever caused me to get bad teeth for awhile becuase I simply couldn't stop playing to brush properly even after six hours of constant gaming! laugh.gif

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Mar 15 2019, 10:51 PM) *

Besides the fact that you are a filthy pleb.

Are.... Are you Uleni or just his deciple? tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 16 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #33

Paladin
Group Icon

Good attitude regarding Skyrim, mirocu. Both are good games - just different. Skyrim took three steps forward from Oblivion. . . and three steps back. One of those steps back, I'm sure you recall, is requiring Steam to play.

Comparing the two. . . . Out of the box, I prefer Oblivion. For me, Skyrim would be unacceptable without a ton of mods. That said, heavily modded Skyrim is every bit as good or better than heavily modded Oblivion in my opinion. Can't go wrong loving either or both. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Mar 16 2019, 03:32 PM
Post #34

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 16 2019, 04:25 AM) *

Are.... Are you Uleni or just his deciple? tongue.gif

Pah! Uleni is far beneath me! I'm nobody's disciple!

But fair enough on Skyrim, I suppose.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
macole
post Jan 14 2020, 06:26 PM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 16 2019, 04:51 AM) *

Good attitude regarding Skyrim, mirocu. Both are good games - just different. Skyrim took three steps forward from Oblivion. . . and three steps back. One of those steps back, I'm sure you recall, is requiring Steam to play.

Comparing the two. . . . Out of the box, I prefer Oblivion. For me, Skyrim would be unacceptable without a ton of mods. That said, heavily modded Skyrim is every bit as good or better than heavily modded Oblivion in my opinion. Can't go wrong loving either or both. smile.gif

Agree. It took me 4-years to get over the Steam requirement before I bought Skyrim. Got it modded to play like I want then along came the Creation Club. CC's first update trashed my game. After a second CC update and a Win10 update did it again, I bowed out of Skyrim for awhile. Back to Oblivion, Morrowind, and Daggerfall I went.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jan 14 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Jan 14 2020, 12:26 PM) *

Agree. It took me 4-years to get over the Steam requirement before I bought Skyrim. Got it modded to play like I want then along came the Creation Club. CC's first update trashed my game. After a second CC update and a Win10 update did it again, I bowed out of Skyrim for awhile. Back to Oblivion, Morrowind, and Daggerfall I went.

The CC fiasco is making me very worried that TES VI will be a disaster for mod authors. I run Skyrim LE, but SE gets broken too often.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 14 2021, 10:28 AM
Post #37

Spam Meister
Group Icon

So I'm gonna piggyback this thread for this post biggrin.gif

I'm not sure about the exact date, but this month it's 14 years since I started to play Oblivion. That's almost one and a half decade! ohmy.gif And while I don't play as much each session anymore for obvious reasons, I am still playing and never actually stopped. This IS my go-to game, my backyard, Momma's street.
Right now we're at the point where Lothran is soon to leave Bruma and still after all these years I feel excited for it! Can't wait to get down from the mountains and see the wonderous green forest again and meet all the other people! And it's the same for when Lothran is about to go to Bruma at the end of November.

Oblivion is my game, Cyrodiil my home and Lothran my brother-in-arms. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 14 2021, 01:37 PM
Post #38

Paladin
Group Icon

And here's wishing many more years ahead and together for mirocu and Lothran! happy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 14 2021, 05:41 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

I thought DOOM 3 was your game!

Kidding. That great, Crow. cake.gif The date and time of my first ever Oblivion playthrough are burned into my mind: October 24, 2008 at 9:24 pm. Do you still have your first-ever Lothran save? If so, it might have a date, at least.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 14 2021, 10:04 PM
Post #40

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I do have that save but it's in a library so not in my current list. I can dig it up though if I really want to know.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:09 PM