3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Thief's Ascension, The story of Jak's life from small beginnings
Acadian
post Aug 11 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

What great fun catching up with Jak and Arissa!

It is nice that she has grown to trust him enough to ask for help. And good of him to indeed help. Efficient to pick up a job before the journey to Solitude. Nice teamwork fighting wolves, spiders and finally the battleaxe boss - even if his years did make him move a bit slower. Hee, I know all about that! Wow down into the pit with a cliffjumping ending!

Whew! Safe in a bedroll. Wow, Arissa really proved her stuff by jumping down after Jak and saving him. I figure that more than repays his help with her quest. And it doubtless forges a strong bond between them. So it was a welcome treat when Hulda only had one bed - which led to other things. Very nicely done - Jak and Arissa make for a great couple.

Your game looks very nice and it looks like you have some fun animation type mods in play. I also enjoyed the little 'in our previous episode' summary - it really snaps the reader right back into the story's moment. goodjob.gif

I join DE in hoping your back is all better now.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Aug 15 2016, 04:41 AM
Post #22

Finder
Group Icon

Darkness Eternal: Thank you Darkness Eternal, my back is better but still not 100%. But I appreciate the concern.

And yes, I think everyone could see where the situation was going once Hulda said there was only one bed, everyone except for Jak that is, he is very naive and doesn't know much when it comes to women. Arissa is his first companion who isn't just a friend.

Acadian: Arissa isn't a joke, she is tough, and could kick Jak's ass if she wanted to, she is one of the bravest people he has met.

Thank you, I had just found that ENB before starting Jak's story, I have of course switched since then because I had to do a completely new install of Skyrim, so I lost everything because it was all on a hard drive that got messed up.

And thank you, my back is better, but still recovering.

Chapter 8

Jak awoke in the morning with Arissa cuddled next to him. He woke her and they got dressed and left the the Bannered Mare, they moved through Whiterun passing by all the people who run stalls in the market and eventually they made it out of the city, down the hill, and to Honningbrew Meadery. They entered to find a man somewhat frantic as he cleaned some mugs before noticing them.

"Hello, is something wrong? You seem to be a little on edge." Jak asked

"Of course there is something wrong. I have a pest problem and I'm supposed to have the Captain of the Guard come do a tasting this afternoon. I have some of the best mead in Skyrim, but I will be in ruins if he finds out about my pest problem."

"Perhaps we could be of some assistance."

"I take it you wouldn't do this out of the kindness of your heart?"

"Well, payment isn't necessary, but we won't turn it down."Jak replied.

"Since my assistant Mallus has disappeared I suppose I don't have a choice but to accept your help, and I'll even pay you for your troubles. In fact, I'll give you half of the payment if you get the job done quickly right now."

Jak agreed and Sabjorn gave him half of the payment, the poison and the keys to the Brewery. The two of them left Sabjorn and entered the basement where they found an already dead skeever, and upon looking at the other end of the basement found another wandering around. They sneaked closer and closer and Jak killed it, and turned to find another caught in a trap so he put it out of its misery and they moved forward. They came across lots of skeever and even some spiders, much to Jak's displeasure as he had grown a dislike for spiders after his last encounter with them. Going deeper into the caverns they came to a room with several skeever and even a man, who the skeever seemed friendly with. Jak killed one of the skeever alerting the man and other skeever and a battle ensued. They killed the remaining skeever and the man hurled bolts of fire at them, Jak narrowly dodged the firebolts and moved in closer with Arissa until finally he was close enough to impale the man in the chest with his dagger.

Jak placed the poison in the skeever nest and the two headed up into the Boilery. Once inside Jak made his way to the second floor and opened the mead vat and poured the poison in, and so the two grabbed the key next to the door and let themselves out to return to Sabjorn. The Captain of the Guard had arrived already and so when Jak arrived he gave Sabjorn a nod letting him know the job was complete. Sabjorn had been stalling the Captain so with Jak's return he went ahead with the tasting, he went to the Boilery and got some mead and returned. Sabjorn eager to have the Captain taste his mead handed him a mug and allowed him to fill it. He took a sip and began coughing and demanding to know what Sabjorn was up to, much to his confusion, and after saying a few threats to Sabjorn the Captain approached Mallus and gave him ownership of Honningbrew Meadery and then hauled Sabjorn off to Dragonreach's dungeon.

Mallus thanked Jak for his assistance and told him to put in a good word with Maven, however, Jak was not finished and asked to have the key to Sabjorn's room to check for business transactions. With the keys they headed upstairs and unlocked the door. They looked around and found nothing until Jak checked the dresser, where he found a note to Sabjorn.

"Huh? This is strange. This is the same symbol that was on the Goldenglow estate deed. There is something going on here."

"Then we better get back to Riften." Arissa chimed in.

The two of them left the Meadery with the information they needed and headed straight for the carriage paying the driver to take them back to Riften. When they arrived they were greeted by an orc who was asking them to join a group of vampire hunters, they told him they weren't interested and he mocked them telling them not to come crying to him when a vampire is ripping their throat out. They moved on and went into the Bee and Barb to meet with Maven.

"I've completed the job you sent me on." Jak said as he handed over the note he had found in Sabjorn's desk. "Good, I was beginning to worry I had sent someone incapable of completing the task." Maven replied and then began studying the note. She became angry at what she read as she couldn't figure out who the symbol belonged to. Jak mentioned he had seen that same symbol before and Maven told him to check in with Brynjolf as he may have some knowledge. Jak and Arissa left Maven's company and headed to the Guild, selling loot to Tonilia was the first stopp and then Jak turned his jobs into Vex and Delvin. Both Vex and Delvin also gave Jak two more jobs, one in Solitude and one in Windhelm, it seemed they were adamant about Jak regaining the Guild's foothold in the capitals of the Imperials and Stormcloaks.

"Word on the street is poor Sabjorn has found himself in Whiterun's prison." Brynjolf gave a sly smile. Jak smirked and made a witty comment about how he may be responsible, but it was all good for business. Brynjolf agreed and when Jak asked him about the symbol he told him Mercer had actually asked to see him for that very reason. He also mentioned not to waste any time as he had never seen Mercer so angry before, so with that the two of them parted ways.

"You wanted to see me, Mercer?"

"Ah yes, there you are. I believe I may have found a clue that may help us identify our mystery buyer." Mercer went on to explain how he found an alias of an old Guild asset by name of Gulum-Ei. He talked about Gulum-Ei's backstory with the Guild and how he wanted him to go to Solitude to question him about this buyer. Mercer also mentioned that Brynjolf may be able to provide more details on Gulum-Ei. With his new assignment from Mercer, Jak went to Brynjolf again and asked about Gulum-Ei and shared how he wasn't sure if he was ready to go to Solitude and confront him.

"Don't worry, lad, just like with Goldenglow if you aren't ready for it just wait and do a couple more jobs until you're comfortable. However, you can't take too long because we need to know what is going on after all."

Jak was relieved to know he didn't have to rush to get the job done, so he and Arissa left and returned to his home. Lanier was surprised to see Arissa again, but was happy nonetheless and so the three of them cooked dinner and talked while they ate. After dinner Jak and Arissa went outside on their porch where he showed Arissa how he used to watch the stars at night on occasion after a long day of work at the Riften Fishery. He then explained how it was relaxing for him and it was always fun trying to find the constellations.

The two of them were laying on a rug on the porch staring up at the sky. "I like my idea of fun better." Arissa put her leg around Jak and kissed him.

"Oh really? Well, you are the guest I suppose." Jak smiled and the two began kissing.

They woke up late the next day, and Jak got ready so they could leave to complete the two jobs for Delvin and Vex.

"Jak, I don't want you leaving yet. You don't look so good, after all your travels you probably picked up something. Are you sick?" His mother asked.

"I do feel a little weak today, but I figured that was from my lack of sleep the last few days."

"You should go to the temple of Mara and see if Lady Mara will get rid of your sickness before you leave."

Jak began saying something before Arissa cut him off, "I agree with your mom. Why don't you go to the temple while I finish getting my stuff together and I'll meet you over there." Jak agreed, and so he was off to the temple. He felt out of place upon entering, but the priest and priestesses were welcoming, and so he stepped forward and prayed at the shrine of Mara. His prayer was answered as he felt as if a weight had been lifted off his chest and he was no longer weakened, so he got up and thanked the priest and left the temple.

"Jak?" he turned to find a surprised Fina, "I'm so glad I found you. We haven't talked in awhile and I really wanted to tell you something. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened in Windhelm... I feel awful."

"I was a bit upset by what you did, I am not going to lie. I just wanted to make sure you were safe, and you treated me like the bad guy."

"I know, I overreacted because... well you know how I am." She gave a light laugh, "I'm really sorry, I just want us to be how we used to be. You're my closest friend Jak, and I don't know what I would do without you. Please forgive me."

Just then Arissa came from behind Jak, "Are you feeling better?" Arissa kissed Jak on the cheek and looked at Fina, "Who's this?"

"Arissa, this is Fina she's... a friend."

"Oh. Well, I'll just let the two of you catch up." Arissa could feel the tension between the two of them and walked away.

"That was Arissa." Jak paused and gestured back towards her, "We met in Windhelm, and are sort of in a business relationship."

"A business relationship? That seemed like more than just business."

"Well, I mean sort of... I guess we are more then that." Fina stepped forward and hugged him, "I'm...I'm happy for you Jak." As she pulled away Jak noticed a slight glisten in her eyes, and she walked away towards the temple of Mara.

--------------------
My first short story - "A Thief's Ascension"
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 15 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #23

Paladin
Group Icon

Jak and Arissa continue to be busy! I thought it was the Fighters Guild that got rat quests. biggrin.gif

And no rest for the weary as Jak gets loaded up with more quests calling for plenty of travel it seems.

I wonder if Fina regrets not declaring her feelings for Jak earlier. Or perhaps it is actually seeing that she is not the only woman in Skyrim who can catch his eye that is causing her pause. I hope this doesn't create a challenge for Jak and Arissa - they really are a great couple! smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 16 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Heh, I echo Acadian on that remark. The giant rats in Cyrodiil were something but skeever's look like rats on rabies; diseased and just vicious. The spiders there didn't help either but thankfully Jak had Arissa with him, making short work of the lil bastards.

Oh some mystery on the symbol on the note.

And I think I'm a little too excited to see the Orc Dawnguard hunter show up. With everything going around, I wonder if Jak might pick up on that at some point.

Fina should have done something for Jak. I could just see the pain in her eyes. Will she try to do something, I wonder? Arissa is beautiful, by the way . . . Jak should stay with her tongue.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Aug 23 2016, 03:05 AM
Post #25

Finder
Group Icon

Acadian: Always, Jak and Arissa have been travelling for a few weeks now because they are going all across Skyrim performing these jobs for the guild.

Jak wants as much work as he can get so he can make money.

Fina definitely regrets not telling Jak earlier how she felt about him. They have been friends since their early teens so she has feelings for him, and he won't admit it to himself, but he does have feelings for her too. And yes seeing Jak with another woman that makes her see now that she shouldn't have waited.

Darkness Eternal: Jak is fortunate to have Arissa with him, he has developed a slight phobia of spiders after his last encounter in the cave where they killed the man who framed Arissa's parents.

He might wink.gif ..... but Jak's main concern at the moment is making money so he can have a better life for his mom and him. Fighting vampires is at the bottom of his list of things to do. He couldn't care less about vampires and doesn't see them as a threat at this point because it's not like comes across them all the time.

Fina may be in pain seeing Jak with Arissa, but she would never do something to intentionally hurt Jak, like mess up his relationship with Arissa.

Chapter 9

Jak watched Fina enter the temple and then turned to meet up with Arissa, not being able to help but feel guilt towards Fina. He found her near the gate and the two left, and paid for a carriage to Solitude. Arissa questioned Jak on who Fina was as he had never mentioned her before, and he simply stated she was an old friend. Arissa knew there was more to it, but decided against pushing the subject as she felt it was not her business. A few days journey with few stops and they finally arrived in Solitude. The two of them approached Radiant Raiment and then went inside, Jak wanted to try something new so he had Arissa distract the two owners by asking questions about the merchandise and he quietly slipped upstairs and found the ledger and changed the numbers.

Returning downstairs without the owners noticing, and he gave Arissa a nod and she wrapped up her distraction and the two left. Jak was impressed with Arissa's silver tongue and how sly she was as he had seen her use that skill time and time again. The day was still early so they went ahead and booked a carriage to Windhelm to complete Vex's job. The carriage stopped in Rorikstead and Whiterun, so after a few days the two of them arrived in Windhelm. It was a simple job, and once inside the city they went to Candlehearth Hall and rented a room, and then later Jak went into the kitchen and stole the golden necklace he needed out of a jewelry box. He questioned why they kept such a valuable item in the kitchen, but didn't mind seeing as it made it an easy target. They got some rest in their room and left Windhelm the next day and made the journey back to Riften. Jak turned his jobs in and Delvin brought up a special job he had acquired from a man in Solitude, Jak was to talk to a man named Erikur, apparently Jak's actions had made the Guild more noticeable in Solitude and so the man contacted Delvin.

Leaving the Guild, Jak and Arissa returned home to take it easy. Arissa loved spending time with Lanier and so they stayed for the day and left in the morning. Once in Solitude they made their way through the city to find Erikur who apparently worked in the Blue Palace, however this visit to Solitude did not go as planned when they were stopped by a guard who was eyeing them as he walked by.

"Wait.. I know you."

"Excuse me? I think you have me mistaken for someone else?" Jak replied.

"No, there is no mistaking it. You are a wanted man, now you are coming with me!" The man grabbed Jak and pushed him against the wall, while Arissa backed up.

"Jak?!" Arissa was puzzled.

"Don't worry, just wait for me in the Winking Skeever..." The guard hauled him away to the dungeon. They took all of Jak's possessions and threw him in one of the cells, the imperial guard then came up and punched him in the stomach and threatened him before leaving. Jak couldn't do anything but wait and after a few days the guard came back and said that he was free to go; upon asking why the guard mentioned that someone had paid to have him released and it was none other than Arissa. She was waiting for him when he left Castle Dour and he thanked her and gave her a hug, "Now what do you say we finish this job and get out of here?" He whispered to her.

They went to Blue Palace, but one of the guards told them that Erikur had gone home already so the two of them went straight to his house. They knocked on the door and told him Delvin had sent them so he immediately let them in.

"So Delvin sent you did he? Good, I have a very important job for you. The Captain of the Dainty Sload and I had an agreement, but he has decided to break that agreement and so now I want him out of the picture. I want you two acquire some Balmora Blue, and plant it on the ship that way the Captain will be arrested and I no longer have to deal with him."

"Where do we get the Balmora Blue? That is illegal in Skyrim last I checked." Jak was curious.

"Ah yes. There is another ship docked here called the Red Wave, talk with Sabine Nytte she will be how you get it. And make this fast, Captain of the Dainty Sload is here in Soltidue and I want the guards waiting for him when he returns to his ship."

With all the information they needed Jak and Arissa headed down to the Solitude Docks and found Sabine on the Red Wave. When asked about the Balmora Blue she assured them she had it and that she was the only way they could get it and therefore wanted them to pay 1500 gold for it. Jak refused to pay that and Arissa pulled him aside and convinced him it was the only way and he agreed and reluctantly handed over the gold. Sabine gave Jak a key and told him it was to a chest that had the Balmora Blue.... but it was under the docks in the water. Jak was not happy, but the two left the ship and he took his armor off to jump in the water, Arissa enjoyed every minute as she found Jak cute when he was mad and teased him when he was practically naked. He jumped into the water and swam to the bottom and found the chest, he unlocked it and grabbed the Balmora Blue and came back up to the surface and got dressed. With the Balmora Blue in their possession they headed past Solitude along the road to find the Dainty Sload which was a good distance away near the Solitude Lighthouse.

They crept near the ship to find one crew member patrolling the deck while one sat drank away his misery, so they quickly sneaked by and into the ship. Jak suggested Arissa wait by the entrance so they wouldn't be as conspicuous, and she reluctantly agreed and waited by the door to be able to catch any crew members by surprise should they enter the ship. Jak made his way through the ship avoiding all the crew members that were walking around, until he came to the bottom of the ship and was forced to kill one of the crew to get by. He came up behind him and slit his throat and quietly laid his body on the floor as to not alert the other shipmates. A little further there was a chest that was the perfect place to put the Balmora Blue, so he picked the lock and placed it in and then turned around made his way back out. He was surprised by how oblivious the crew was, and when he told Arissa she joked about how they were most likely drunk. It was now early in the morning and Erikur had returned to the Blue Palace to start his early daily duties, he was glad to hear of Jak's success and said that the guards will most likely have the Captain in jail before lunch. He then told Jak if Delvin needed anything in Solitude he need only ask.

The special job was complete and the thief duo returned to Rfiten. Jak leaned against the bar and told Delvin of his success, and Delvin even cracked a smile and congratulated him. "You're doing a great job mate, we had a new merchant move into the Flagon while you were gone. If you keep this up we will be back to our glory days in no time." Jak patted Delvin on the back and then was called over by Vex who told him there were rumors that a special job request was on the table for Windhelm, but the person wanted to make sure the Guild was definitely making a comeback so she gave another job in Windhelm.

After finishing up his talk with Vex, Jak and Arissa returned home to celebrate their triumph with the Guild.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 24 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #26

Paladin
Group Icon

Jak and Arissa really do make a great pair of thieves. Arissa really shined as she distracted the Radiant Altmers, then later sprung Jak from jail.

I could really feel in this episode how Jak has progressed from a newb into a rather accomplished thief.

Nice job! goodjob.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 25 2016, 03:05 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

Right. The safest course would be for Jak to be away from potential danger. Battling the undead puts his life at considerable risk.

Jak and Arissa seemed to be made for each other, huh. The pair is making all kinds of gains tongue.gif

Balmora Blue! Illegal narcotic made in Morrowind. So they are tasked to incriminate the captain.

Quite the kill Jak made, too! He can make for an assassin in training. Perhaps.

As they end in triumph, the thieves prepare for a future celebration. This is just great. At this rate Jak will indeed be able to help out his mother.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Aug 30 2016, 03:57 AM
Post #28

Finder
Group Icon

Acadian: Thank you! Arissa very experienced in all things thievery like being charismatic, smart, stealthy, etc, I mean she has been doing this for 10 years so she is more there actually helping Jak more than anything, he has learned a lot from her. This is also why he much better than his newb days, he has been travelling with Arissa for several weeks, it doesn't seem like that since I kind of skip over the long travel times and what not, so she has definitely taught him some things.

Darkness Eternal: Indeed it does, he isn't ready to be fighting off vampires, he would be dead his first day on the job. He would rather be raking in the coin.

They do make a great duo, don't they? As stated to Acadian, Arissa has helped Jak significantly with his thief skills, she knows way more than him, so its only natural that with the both working together they would be completing jobs with ease. And after the last several weeks of them working together Jak has definitely made a decent amount of coin so that his mother and he don't have to scrape by anymore, but he is aiming for the bigger picture of getting his mother out of Riften and to a nice city like Solitude with a nice house. Ironically, Arissa comes from money, and she has the proof to clear her families name, in the journals she got from the man who framed her family, and get what she lost back....

Chapter 10

The next day, Jak and Arissa left early in the morning to head to Windhelm. Fog filled the air as they saddled their horses and began their journey. Not far from the city they came across some Vigilants of Stendarr who claimed there were rumors of Daedric creatures roaming the Rift and warned them to keep an eye out. Continuing on, their journey was rather uneventful other than the occasional wolf that they dispatched easily enough. They arrived in Windhelm, getting some rest after the ride from Riften, then searched the city for the right house finally finding it in the Grey Quarter. They broke in and searched the house where Jak found the item upstairs. He quickly grabbed the item and the two thieves made their way out of the house and the city, they did not want a repeat of what happened in Solitude where one of them ends up in jail, so they chose to make the long ride back to Riften.

After speaking with Vex and turning in his job, Jak found Delvin who told him that the special request was set in stone and that Jak needed to talk with Torsten Cruel-Sea who knew something about a rival guild starting up in Windhelm. After resting for a day Jak and Arissa set out for Windhelm again, and once there they found Torsten wandering around the plaza.

"Torsten, right? Delvin sent us, he said you had something for us."

The man was startled out of his dead stare,"Yes I do.... my daughter, poor Fjotli, she was murdered by an Altmer... and the way I see it it's an eye for an eye. I found the Altmer and well... you know."

"I'm sorry for your loss, but what does this have to do with the Guild?"

"Well you see after Fjolti was murdered her body was robbed... by a new group of Altmer thieves known as the Summerset Shadows. They stole a precious family heirloom, and I want it back. I know this all sounds like it isn't worth the Guild's time, but if you get back that heirloom I'll gladly help the Guild in any way I can here in Windhelm. And at the same time you get rid of a rival guild. Do we have a deal?"

"Deal. We will help you. Where do I begin?"

"Speak with that Altmer, Niryane, in the market.. I think she had something to with all of this."

Jak shook Torsten's hand assuring him he would not fail then they left Torsten and went to the market to find Niryane. She was talking with a customer so Jak walked up and pushed him aside to talk to Niryane.

"Hey! I was in the middle of a business transaction!"

"That's great. Tell me about Fjolti."

Niryane sounded sympathetic about Fjolti's death and tried to play it of like she didn't know anything about what happened, "Tell me everything or end up like Fjolti!" Jak yelled.

"Okay, okay... let's just discuss this like rational people. I swear I had nothing to do with Fjolti's death." She went on to explain how she had no choice and that the group the Summerset Shadows came to her and threatened to kill her if she didn't fence their goods. She mentioned they stole from the deceased and that is how they got Fjotli's necklace.

"Tell me where to find them."

"I'll tell you if you promise not to kill me." Niranye begged.

"I'm not going to kill you. That's not how our Guild works." Jak replied.

"Speak for yourself." Arissa chimed in from behind Jak with a stern look on her face.

Niryane mentioned they were held up in Uttering Hills Cave, and so the two of them set out at once. They traveled west from Windhelm and eventually found the entrance to the cave guarded by two of Summerset Shadow members. Arissa was uneasy at all of this, as it hit a little too close to home, so while Jak wanted to sneak and catch them by surprise Arissa went ahead and began firing away with arrows. She fired from the bushes and the members charged, Arissa killed one and as the other went to attack her Jak stepped up and stabbed him with his dagger. They entered the cave and found more members patrolling, but as soon as they turned Jak would come up from behind and slit their throat. Eventually they came to a bigger cavern with a fire where two of the members were warming themselves while talking about their next mark. Arissa charged in and Jak followed trying to makes sure she didn't get herself killed, but they charged in so quickly the Summerset Shadows didn't even know what hit them and they fell quickly. Jak looted a key off one of the bodies which unlocked a door which lead to what looked like a fort inside the cave.
They entered into the fort and killed one more patrolling member, but doing so alerted Linwe who came sprinting out of one of the rooms with his lackeys and they began to attack. It was an intense fight, but in the end Linwe fell to Arissa's rage and as his body laid at their feet she kicked it and spat on it. Jak decided to loot his armor as sort of a trophy. Then in one of the rooms they found the banner that the Summerset Shadows used, so Jak lit a torch and burned it until nothing remained. With all the members dead, and their banner burned, the two of them left the cave and returned to Torsten. They found him in the market and approached him.

"So did you do it?"

Jak handed him the necklace, "It's done."

Torsten's eyes began to water as he looked at the necklace, "Thank you. Seeing this necklace pains me, but it brings me joy knowing it is back where it belongs. Tell Delvin if he needs anything done for the Guild here in Windhelm, just contact me."

The two headed to the inn to tend to their wounds and rest before heading back to Riften. After a days journey they were back in Riften where Jak gave Delvin the news who was happy to hear it and even told Jak he was a natural unlike anything he had ever seen. He thanked Delvin and returned home with Arissa, and as always they spent time with his mother and ate dinner, afterwards Jak put Linwe's armor on one of the mannequins in the basement.

"You did a great thing, Jak." Arissa commented and put her head on his shoulder.

"I couldn't have done it if you weren't there. Granted you acted a bit rash, but you still did a great job." He leaned in and began kissing her.

Arissa pulled back with a look of sadness, "I'm not really in the mood tonight, Jak... I'm tired after everything we have been through."

Jak understood so the two of them went to bed. In the morning he woke up to an empty bed, so he put on his armor to begin his search of the house for Arissa, she was no where to be found in the basement so he went upstairs. As he came up the stairs he looked in the kitchen to find she was not there either, and he turned to find his mother sleeping and something else... a note on the end table. Jak quietly walked forward and picked up the note:

Dear Jak,

You are probably wondering what is going on, why I am not there, and there is no easy way to say this, but I have decided to leave. It had nothing to do with you... I just wanted to return to my home and see my family, it is something that has been weighing on my mind for some time now, ever since you helped me find the evidence to prove my families innocence this has been consistently on my mind. After spending so much time with you and your mother, it really made me miss my family more than ever, and I just wanted to be able to see them again and have a family again, like you and your mother. Then after thinking about how Torsten lost his daughter it made me realize how life is short, and that I was given a second chance to see my family again, a chance I can't pass up knowing that either my parents, or myself, could be gone tomorrow and never see each other again.... What we had was great and I enjoyed every minute of it, but this longing to see me family is too much, I hope you can understand. I didn't have the heart to tell you this in person, it would have been too hard for me as I care too much to see you get hurt like that. I'm really sorry Jak, I hope you and your mother can forgive me and hopefully one day we will see each other again, but until then I wish you the best of luck. Goodbye, Jak.

- Arissa

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 30 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #29

Paladin
Group Icon

Another great bit of work in Windhelm. emot-ninja1.gif

Aww, what an unexpected surprise for poor Jak! Very poignant. I hope Arissa returns. kvright.gif

This is fun reading about all the Thieves Guild stuff since I've never done any of it in Skyrim. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 31 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

It was good that Jak and Arissa weren't involved in any Daedric pacts or had any Daedric artifacts with them. The Vigilantes of Stendarr can smell those a mile away. Unpleasant people, those.

Interesting quest with the Summerset Shadows. You know I never heard about them before and I had done the Thieves Guild line . . . I wasn't paying much attention. what a fight. Arissa is a deadly one, and how fitting that they burned the flag at the end, symbolizing the end of the Summerset Shadows, at least in that particular area. Good riddance, I say.

The ending sort of caught me unawares. She dumped Jak? This was a surprising, unexpected and unfortunate for him. I can understand her position here. I liked how it ties in with Torsten's quest for them. The death of his daughter reminded her how fleeting life can be. Jak wasn't expecting this one, and him introducing her to his mother did not help one bit, but rather was a factor that caused her to leave him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Sep 10 2016, 04:54 AM
Post #31

Finder
Group Icon

Acadian: I am glad you are enjoying the read as he goes through the Thieves Guild. You should definitely try it out.

But yes, poor Jak, he lost his love because she wanted to be with her own family and get them back. Maybe we will see her again...

Darkness Eternal: Indeed the Vigilantes of Stendarr aren't exactly the best group of people, although Jak doesn't know this, he has just heard stories that they hunt daedra and such.

You are correct, the very thing that Arissa loved about being with Jak was the sense of having a family, in the end was the driving force to make her leave so that she could regain her own family. So yes she "dumped" Jak, but it was more of a leaving in hopes of returning some day kind of situation. Jak, of course won't take it so well.

Last Time: Our thief Jak met a young woman while on a job in Windhelm, named Arissa, and the two became business partners. This relationship grew to become more after spending weeks upon weeks with each other doing jobs and traveling Skyrim. However, after having helped Arissa get revenge on the man who destroyed her family and find evidence that would clear her families name, Arissa began to miss her family more and more after spending so much time with Jak and his mother. Waking up in the morning after a long journey from Windhelm Jak found Arissa gone and a note she had written claiming she left to return to her home and clear her families name.

Chapter 11

After having read Arissa's note, Jak sulked around the house for hours and his mother tried to console him. Lanier too was sad at Arissa's departure, but she was mainly upset seeing Jak suffer. Having had enough sitting around his house Jak headed to the Bee and Barb where he ordered drink after drink and even challenged people to competitions but none accepted so he drank for them. He eventually stood up and started causing a ruckus stumbling around and insulting people, laughing as he went from person to person, and even picking up tankards and other objects and throwing them around. Talen-Jei and Keerava had enough of Jak's antics and so Talen-Jei grabbed Jak and threw him out of the Bee and Barb onto the street where he laid there laughing for a minute.

It was still relatively early in the afternoon and Jak was not done drinking, so he went to the only other place he could think of, the Ragged Flagon. He stumbled his way to the secret Guild entrance and made his way through the cistern and into the Flagon.

"Vekel... get a round for everyone... on me."

"Jak, are you sure that's the best thing? You seem pretty drunk as it is." Vekel replied looking Jak up and down.

"Hey, I am paying so what difference does it make!" Jak pointed at Vekel, and he reluctantly filled a mug of Black-Briar mead and handed it to him.

No one else in the Flagon partook in Jak's drinking and instead watched as he made a fool of himself as he made jokes that only he thought were funny. He then stood up on the table and raised a cup in the air.

"A toast... to all the dirty stinking women that roam Skyrim... who only use you." He took a swig of his drink, "Oh, except you Tonilia, you and your nice bottom." Jak began laughing hysterically and stumbled off the table.

Jak went to grab more mead, but just like in the Bee and Barb the residents of the Ragged Flagon were tired of his antics so while he filled his mug Dirge came up and grabbed the mug from him. "No! That's mine!" Jak yelled and tried to forcibly grab the mug back, but Dirge threw it on the ground and cracked Jak in the back of his head knocking him out cold. Dirge dragged Jak to his bed in the cistern and threw him on to let him recollect himself.

Jak slowly opened his eyes and his vision slowly came into focus and he rubbed the back of his head which was sore. He stood up to find Brynjolf standing next to his bed.

"Take it easy, lad."

"No... I'm good, thanks."

"Want to explain what is going on? First I hear you make a ruckus in the Bee and Barb and get thrown out from there, and then you come down here and cause more trouble?"

"I'm sorry... I had something come up and I just needed to forget about it."

"Uhuh... well after your antics Mercer is furious, he is even considering throwing you out of the Guild. I may be able to talk him out of it, but you are going to have show him a good reason not to."

"What about all I have done for the Guild so far? Is that not enough?"

"You would think, but Mercer is a hard man to bargain with." Brynjolf put his hand on Jak's shoulder, "Look lad, why don't you go to Solitude and figure out this Gulum-Ei situation. That would surely put you back in Mercer's good graces, and it may help you get away from whatever this problem you are having is. Besides, I think you are ready, you have more than proven your skill as a thief, and in the mean time I'll talk with Mercer."

"Thanks Brynjolf, I really appreciate it."

After finishing talking with Brynjolf, Jak headed over to Mercer to let him know he was heading to Solitude to talk with Gulum-Ei. It was obvious Mercer was not happy, but he still needed someone to go to Solitude so he simply nodded and Jak left the cistern. Upon arriving in Solitude Jak asked a guard if he knew of an Argonian named Gulum-Ei, he didn't know who he was, but directed Jak to the Winking Skeever where he said an Argonian was staying.

"Hmm, what have we here? By your scent I would say you're with the Guild... but that can't be true because I told Mercer we were done working together."

"Good, I can skip the introductions then and get straight to business. I want to know about Goldenglow Estate." He played dumb and assured Jak he did not deal with properties, "You can drop the act, Gajul-Lei."

"Oh, did you say Goldenglow Estate? My apologies, it must have slipped my mind, you know what with all the deals that we make."

"What will it take to get you to tell me who the buyer is?" Jak asked and Gulum-Ei began to explain how he had a deal going that required him to get a case of Firebrand wine, if Jak went and retrieved a case of it that was currently in the Blue Palace he would give him some answers. With the cover of nightfall it was easy to make it into the castle, and luckily the guards were in the middle of their rotations so Jak essentially walked in found the wine and left with it. He returned to Gulum-Ei who was delighted to have the wine and then tried to "prolong his life" with a bribe.

"A woman approached me and flashed me some gold and said all I had to do was by Goldenglow. I accepted the job, simple as that."

"Did she say what she was doing?"

"Not at all, and in this business it is wise not to ask too many questions, although she did seem rather angry and it was directed at Mercer... that's all I know."

"She never gave you a name?"

"In this line of work we don't go by names, but more by the amount of coin we have."

"I think you are lying to me."

"Look, I didn't say I would have all the answers. Now, our transaction is done, I'll be on my way." Gulum-Ei stood up and pushed Jak out of the way and began leaving in a hurry.

Knowing Gulum-Ei was lying, Jak began to tail him. He slid down some rocks and watched as Gulum-Ei made his way to the docks. Upon following him further Gulum-Ei entered into a warehouse and so Jak too entered. The inside of the warehouse was huge and was stuffed with tons of items. Gulum-Ei made his way through the warehouse and past the wardens that patrolled the area, and after a close call with one of the wardens Jak decided to follow Gulum-Ei by swimming through the water as he walked along the warehouse. Eventually, Gulum-Ei went through a secret door that led to a cave, however this cave was inhabited by bandits. Jak sneaked past the first two bandits near the entrance and continued through the grotto, he then found two more bandits who were arguing as one was swimming in the water when they were supposed to be patrolling. Using a bow he found at the entrance of the grotto, Jak killed the bandit yelling, this alerted the bandit in the water who quickly got out of the water, but he quickly was pelted with arrows and laid dead. Instead of fighting the remaining bandits in the cave, Jak took a smarter route and swam in the water to the end of the grotto where he then climbed out of the water and killed a khajiit bandit who was loading a boat with cargo.

All that remained was Gulum-Ei and one last bandit, they were talking by the fire in the center of the room and so Jak took this opportunity to charge in. The bandit could not react quick enough and Jak plunged his dagger into his chest as Gulum-Ei watched in fear and began to back up.

"Please... there's no reason to do anything rash."

Jak grabbed Gulum-Ei by his shirt and pulled him closer, "Tell me what I want to know, now."

"Alright, alright. Karliah, the buyer was Karliah." Gulum-Ei said as if he was expecting him to know who Karliah was. Jak explained he didn't know who she was, much to Gulum-Ei's surprise and so then told the story of how Karliah had killed the previous Guild master, Gallus, and now was after Mercer. He then pleaded that Jak not tell Mercer anything about this.

"I won't tell Mercer, but you owe me."

"Now you are speaking my language." Gulum-Ei smiled, "Consider me your new friend in the north, if you ever have any items you need fenced come see me."

With that Gulum-Ei showed the way out by pulling a lever which opened a secret passage way. Jak left the grotto ready to give Mercer the news.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 10 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #32

Paladin
Group Icon

Not surprising that Jak went on a bit of an alcohol-augmented pity party. kvright.gif Losing Arissa was a very hard blow. I think he was wise to jump back into his work to keep him focused on something productive for a time. goodjob.gif

Looks like some more good thiefy work up in Solitude! Heh, I thought he was going to get himself a new pair of lizard-skin boots. . . .

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 10 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this chapter. Seeing Jak going around causing a mess in the bars was tough to read, considering all he's been through. Understandable as many of us would have done the same in light of the circumstances. Some parts were funny, though. Especially this one:

"A toast... to all the dirty stinking women that roam Skyrim... who only use you." He took a swig of his drink, "Oh, except you Tonilia, you and your nice bottom." Jak began laughing hysterically and stumbled off the table.

Hahaha laugh.gif

Good that he's back at work . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Sep 19 2016, 04:51 AM
Post #34

Finder
Group Icon

Acadian: Losing Arissa was a hard blow for him, she was his first girlfriend and all. Luckily for him he has Brynolf to support him like a mentor, and help keep him on track by doing work for the guild as that will help keep his mind off of Arissa.

Indeed, if not for Gulum-Ei's offer, then Jak most definitely would have walked out of their with a new pair of lizard skin boots. He is a little bit more testy and angry after Arissa left so he isn't as lenient.

Darkness Eternal: It was meant to be read as either, you laugh at him causing a ruckus, but at the same time feel sorry for him knowing he is only acting that way from pain.

And yes... he was lucky Tonilia wasn't the one to knock him out, or kill him, instead of Dirge after that comment.

But yes, him being back to work is the best way to keep his mind focused and not on Arissa's sudden departure.

Chapter 12

After a long journey from Solitude back to Riften, Jak headed to the Guild to tell Mercer about what he discovered.

"So, did you find out anything from Gulum-Ei?"

"He said the buyer was a woman named Karliah." Jak replied and saw Mercer's face instantly go white.

"Karliah... I haven't heard that name in decades." Mercer was quite disturbed by this finding and explained how Karliah had killed Gallus and then disappeared, "Did you find out where she is?"

"Uhh." Jak had to think for a moment, "Gulum-Ei said she said something about 'where the end began', whatever that means."

"I know exactly what she means, she is at Snow Veil Sanctum. We can't let her get away, we may never find her again... however, she is smart, we can't go there without a plan. Give me a week and I'll think up something and then we are going after her. In the meantime do some more jobs and earn us some more gold."

Jak was confused as to why he had to go, but he did not want to question Mercer since he was still worried that he might be kicked out of the Guild. So after leaving Mercer to think he went to the Flagon to get a job from Delvin and Vex, both gave him a job in Markarth. With his jobs accepted, he returned home where he caught up on some reading while his mother prepared dinner.

"Jak, I don't like that you are going to Markarth, the Reach is a dangerous place with those barbaric Forsworn. Can't you go anywhere else?"

"I will be fine mom, I'll be sure to stick to the roads so I shouldn't have any problems." Suddenly Lanier winced in pain and dropped her ladle, "Mom, are you okay?"

"Yes yes, I am fine. I just burnt my hand, I'll be okay."

"Why don't you let me take over so you can rest? I can finish dinner."

"Jak, I said I am fine."

"Okay..." Jak sat back down and began reading his book again.

The next day Jak got up and left for Markarth, he saddled his horse and made his way west. He made his way through the Rift and then up through the passage leading to Falkreath. Along the way he came across Helgen, where he was almost thrown off his horse when a large black dragon flew out of the fort... a dragon, something Jak had only heard legends and stories about. He snapped himself out of his awe and continued his journey not knowing what to think of seeing a dragon. After a few hours he arrived in Falkreath at dusk, he decided it was best to stop as it would be unwise to travel through the Reach at night once he got there. He headed to the Dead Man's Drink and rented a room for the night, then ordered a couple drinks and warmed himself by the fire. Jak squatted by the fire and warmed his hands when he looked up from the fire towards the bard. "Arissa?" Jak saw her standing behind the bard. He quickly stood up and bumped into a man walking behind him,apologizing and then turning around, though as he turned around Narri walked in front of where Arissa stood and she was gone. I have had too much to drink, I am seeing things, Jak thought to himself so he retired to his room and slept until the morning.

He gathered his things and left the inn, but before making his way out of Falkreath heading west one of the guards told him to keep a look out for a dog that the blacksmith was looking for. He did not see a dog anywhere as he traveled through Falkreath hold, and eventually he made his way into the Reach. Jak was cautious as he rode through the Reach as it was intimidating with the high mountains, not knowing if he was being watched as he traveled the road, and the thick fog that hovered over the area. He moved as fast as he could along the road, and luckily only came across a Khajiit caravan that startled him. Eventually he made it to Markarth and as he approached the city he had an uneasy feeling about it, even though it was his first time there he felt unwelcome.

Jak entered Markarth, it was a grand looking city and unlike anything he had ever seen. Luckily the two places he needed to go for his job were right on top of each other, so with his targets scoped out he headed to the local inn to wait for nightfall. The inn was owned by a family known as the Silver-Bloods, they bickered while Jak sat by the fire and talked to a mercenary who told him of his many adventures. Once night had fallen Jak left and waited outside of Arnleif and Sons Trading Company where he needed to change some of their numbers in their book. He waited and watched the guards patrolling paths unnoticed and when the time was right quickly picked the lock and entered. The book was easy enough to find as the owners left it out in the open, he quickly changed the numbers and made his way out as fast as possible; Jak couldn't help but feel a cold chill run up his spine being inside the shop, as if something was off about the place...

Back outside Jak headed to the upper level of the city where he quietly slipped into Ogmund's house to steal the three items Vex requested. As soon as he entered, he noticed the house was rather small, as well as disorganized, and so after quickly grabbing the items he left. Upon stepping out into the night a guard came walking by and looked directly at Jak causing his heart to stop as he thought he was caught, but the guard nodded and walked away. Jak had the sneaking suspicion that the guard knew he was a thief yet he let him go, Jak also was beginning to get a strange feeling about Markarth and he didn't like it, so he stayed the night and got up early the following morning to leave.

Jak was happy to leave Markarth behind him, and as he traveled the Reach he came across an interesting scene, an Orc standing on the side of the road with two dead sabre cats, Jak stopped and asked the Orc if he was okay or needed any assistance but the Orc only mentioned how he wanted to have a good death. When Jak refused to give him a good death the Orc told him to leave and so he olbiged and got back on his horse and continued on. As he rode Jak couldn't help but take in the beauty of the Reach. The journey was uneventful until Jak reached Falkreath hold, as he rode along the road he was ambushed by a lone assassin who jumped off the cliff and tackled him off his horse. Jak kicked the assassin off him and drew his dagger, the assassin stood up and charged, and the fight began. "You will die here, Jak!" The assassin hissed as she slashed her swords trying to slice Jak's stomach. However, The assassin missed one too many times and tired herself so Jak took the opportunity to stab the assassin in the chest. With the assassin dead, Jak searched the body for any clues as to who the assassin was and why they were after him, unfortunately all he found was a note that said someone wanted him dead, but not who the person was.

Who ever it was, they must of hired a cheap or novice assassin, Jak thought to himself, why would the assassin make herself known rather than kill me when I least expect it? Either way luck is on my side as I am no fighter so I fight with a skilled assassin would have ended differently.

While Jak won the fight it was not without sustaining wounds of his own, and without any healing potions he needed to find help as soon as possible. Not far from where he was attacked was a mill, so he stopped there to ask for assistance. The owner of the mill saw him approach on his horse and instantly ran across the bridge to see what Jak wanted.

"Excuse me, I was attacked down the road and I don't have a healing potion, could you help?" Jak held his side where he could feel blood starting to wet his armor.

"Oh, certainly." The woman smiled, "We don't get many visitors these days, and we would love for you to stay awhile. We will patch you right up."

She lead Jak to the house and told him to wait outside as she needed to make sure her husband wasn't sleeping, she entered the house and Jak leaned against the wall as he was now starting to feel the aftermath of the attack. While waiting for the woman to return Jak overheard a conversation inside the house, it was muffled but he heard slight yelling and mention of easy prey since they had not eaten in weeks. Jak didn't like what he heard and didn't want to find out what they were talking about so he walked as fast as he was able back to his horse and hopped on to continue to Falkreath. He finally arrived with his strength draining, he went to the general goods store and asked the owner if he had any healing potions. The owner handed over his best potion as he could see Jak was injured and needed it, he sympathized with Jak as he said he used to be a Stormcloak and saw his comrades suffer from wounds all the time. He thanked the owner and drank the potion; the effects were felt almost immediate, and so after selling some of his extra goods Jak left the store to continue his journey back to Riften.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 19 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #35

Paladin
Group Icon

Jak certainly had an eventful journey to the Reach and back.

An Alduin sighting at Helgen and an Arissa sighting at Falkreath!

Glad his two jobs at Markarth went well. It was fun to get his take on some of the things in game we see all the time like the old orc looking for a good death and the random assassin attack.

Glad he didn’t end up as dinner for that pair of vampires at the mill! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 21 2016, 02:39 AM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

I'm loving the screens as the story goes on.

So she burnt her hand, did she? Is that what really happened? Why do I get the feeling something is up. Maybe I'm looking too much into it . . .

Wow, first sighting of Alduin! How great that this story doesn't follow the main quest(yet?), but Jak is actually present in the time period in which it happens. And Jak maybe seeing things or maybe Arissa is too fast for his own eyes to follow?

Shadowscale!! Jak was lucky enough to survive this initiate's attempt. Imagine if it was a skilled assassin?

After the cutthroat's attempt, Jak was almost nosferatu chow. Hern and Herte, I remember them! Good people . . . . tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Sep 25 2016, 05:34 AM
Post #37

Finder
Group Icon

Acadian: Eventful indeed. Yeah one of the things I tried to do when coming up with his story was basically make it be what happens in the game is what happens in his story and then write how he reacts to it.

He did get lucky he wasn't a snack for them, of course he had no idea what they were talking about, he didn't even connect the dots that they were vampires.

Darkness Eternal: I'm glad you like them.

She did in fact just burn her hand, although when originally written it was planned to be setting up her having a disease. I changed it.

Yes I wanted to show the time period in which Jak's story takes place and it does coincide with the main quest time period, however Jak has no plans to do the main quest. He is in fact seeing things, he had one too many drinks and saw what he wanted to see. Although fun fact, Arissa was actually there when playing the game because when she is dismissed that is where she hangs out.

Indeed he was lucky he was fighting an initiate. Had it been a skilled assassin lets just say Jak's story would have been done and over with biggrin.gif .

Chapter 13

After the effects of the healing potion wore off, Jak left the General Goods store and got back on his horse. He left Falkreath and made his way back up the passage that cut through the mountain, he rode into the Rift where a storm had come in, the rain pelted his face as he rode along, and he thought about stopping to find shelter but instead decided to press on. As he traveled along the road he came across a fellow thief who gave him a gift and told him to keep his eyes on the lookout, and then he ran away to find his next target. The storm did not let up the whole way, but eventually Jak made it back to Riften, he rode around the city to the other side to stable his horse. He was just glad he did not have to ride in the rain anymore as he entered the city, but as he walked he noticed guards standing outside of his home.

"What's going on here? Why are you outside my house?" Jak asked as he approached the guards.

"We have your house under guard, your mother has fallen ill and we believe foul play was involved, possibly even the Dark Brotherhood. She was found lying on the floor earlier today with a suspicious bottle we suspect had poison in it.... I'm sorry to be telling you this." Jak's heart sank in his chest.

"Move!" He pushed the guards aside and ran into the house where he found his mother lying on the bed with Fina next to her.

As he stepped into the room Fina stood up, she explained how she heard a loud noise as she walked by the house in the morning and when she went in she found his mother lying on the floor convulsing. She then said that his mother had gotten worse and grown weaker since the morning.

"Hey mom, how are you doing?" He grabbed her hand as she slowly turned her head to face him, "You're going to be okay."

She coughed, "Jak... I-I need to tell you something..."

"No, you can tell me when you are better. You need to rest."

"No, you listen to me... I love you, I always have and always will..."

"I know you do, mom." Her eyes started to slowly close, "No no no, mom stay with me, okay."

"Jak.... I... I'm not...." She let out her last breath as Jak and Fina could only stand by watch. He stared as he took in what just happened.

"She's gone." Jak let go off her hand and slowly sat down on the floor as he stared at his mother, until he couldn't hold it in anymore and began to cry.

"Oh Jak. I'm so sorry." Fina leaned down and tried to console him.

Fina eventually calmed Jak down and alerted the guards of Lanier's death. The guards went to the temple where they got Maramal; he came to the house and gave his prayers for Lanier, the guards then came in and removed the body where it was taken to the cemetery to be buried. Jak and Fina watched as they dug the hole and carefully placed Lanier's coffin into the ground, by now morning had come and everyone but Jak and Fina had left. Jak gave one last goodbye to his mother.

"I'm sorry about your loss, lad?"

"Brynjolf? What are you doing here?"

"Could you give us a moment?" Brynjolf said to Fina, she looked at Jak who nodded so she walked back towards the Temple of the Mara,"We heard about what happened and I wanted to see you, lad. It's a tough situation losing ones parents, I know how you feel."

"Thanks, Brynjolf."

"No problem... but I also wanted to tell you that Mercer has finished coming up with a plan, and he asked to see you. Chances are you are leaving for Snow Veil Sanctum, I wish you didn't have to, but it is for the safety of the Guild. We need to put a stop to Karliah."

"I'll go talk to Mercer, I need to get out of Riften for a little bit anyways." Jak responded with a melancholy tone.

"Alright then. Good luck, lad." Brynjolf turned and began walking away, "Thank you, Brynjolf." Jak said and Brynjolf nodded his head then returned to the Guild through the secret entrance.

Jak found Fina near the stairs leading up to the Temple of Mara and told her how he needed to leave Riften. She objected saying she did not like the idea of him leaving in his current mental state, but he assured her that it was for the best and that it would help him grieve. Fina reluctantly agreed. He asked her to watch his home while he was gone and then they parted ways as he went to speak with Mercer.

"Good you're here. I'm sorry about your mother, but we need to move fast if we want to keep the Guild safe, you can grieve for your mother today and leave first thing tomorrow morning. I will meet you at Snow Veil Sanctum, there we will find Karliah and kill her."

"I'm ready to leave now."

"No, your head won't be in it all the way and you will only be dead weight. I need you to be ready physically and mentally. Go rest and grieve and meet me at Snow Veil Sanctum." Mercer took Jak's map and marked the location.

Jak then left Mercer and went into the Ragged Flagon to turn in his jobs. Delvin gave Jak his condolences and told him he could pass on the jobs he had available, and so Jak went Vex. Even she gave her condolences and congratulated him on how well he had been doing. It made Jak feel better knowing he essentially had another family with the Thieves Guild, so after selling a few things to Tonilia he left.

He returned home, much to Fina's pleasure as she wanted him to rest some, and then Jak left the next morning. His journey was uneventful to Windhelm, after passing the city he came across a shrine to Arkay where he had to wonder where the worshipers had gone. Eventually he arrived Snow Veil Sanctum and found a camp nearby with a dead horse, Jak could only assume it belonged to Karliah and that Mercer had already arrived and killed it. As he continued past the camp he found Mercer outside of the ruins, he explained how he knew Karliah was still in the ruin and that he made sure she would not be escaping by killing her horse. He then ordered Jak to lead, much to his surprise, but Jak didn't want to question Mercer's orders. When they came to the entrance it was sealed shut and Mercer bragged about how a person just needed to have a little know how and a lot of skill to open these doors, he then picked the lock and the two entered.

As they walked down the stairs into the first room Mercer complained about the smell, and Jak tried to hide his fear as he didn't know what to expect since he had never been in a nordic ruin before.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 25 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #38

Paladin
Group Icon

Aww, first Arissa leaves, then his mother dies. Poor Jak. sad.gif

I'm glad that Fina was there for him, and his TG pals are of some comfort as well.

Perhaps it is best that he get back to work quickly.

I know nothing about the Skyrim TG, but I don't like this horse-mudering Mercer fellow. My elven danger senses are tingling.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 26 2016, 02:55 AM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Well then blink.gif indifferent.gif

I wasn't expecting that at all. Very tragic. May his mother rest in peace. Tragic moreso, considering she had an important revelation to give but fell short of life. Additionally, it was because of her he started this path.

Its great that there are people there with Jak that support him and help him out in his time of need. The Thieves Guild had become a family for him.

Hmm. There are mysteries to be had. The Nordic ruins, to me, smells like death.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Sep 26 2016, 03:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
BretonBlood
post Oct 6 2016, 02:50 AM
Post #40

Finder
Group Icon

Acadian: Indeed Jak is going through a rough time in his life. He is lucky that Fina is such a close friend and cares about him, she only wants him to be happy.

And yes, the best thing for him to keep his mind off of his mother's death is to keep himself busy. For me personally when I experience something sad like a death I find keeping busy helps cope.

And you haven't done the whole Thieves Guild questline, so you don't know anything hahaha.... let's just say Mercer is not my favorite.

Darkness Eternal: Lol I'm glad to have caught you off guard. I was hoping that maybe after Jak was attacked you wouldn't pick up on the fact that his mother may have also been a target.

And indeed she did have some crucial information to tell Jak, alas she couldn't muster the strength to tell him... She also was the reason he began this life, but now that he has almost formed a new family with the Guild he won't feel so alone and he now has another reason to continue his life of thievery.

Author's Note: Sorry this was a little longer, about 2000 words. The remaining chapters won't be this long, it's just this section was hard to find a good break point without it being too short.

Chapter 14

With Jak leading the two made their way deeper into the ruin, they came to a room with a chest and as Jak opened the chest Draugrs burst from their coffins and began to attack. As they continued through the ruins they came across more Draugr and traps, they entered a room and Mercer told Jak to pull the chain and watch out for the spike trap, so he pulled the chain and backed up quickly as the trap sprung. Draugr slept along the walls and as they went by they would kill them to make sure they would not wake up and attack them later.

They entered a hallway and Mercer commented on how there were two more Draugr ahead, Jak happened to notice a trap with an oil lantern, so he cut the string and the lantern fell causing an explosion which killed one of the Draugr. Unfortunately the explosion woke more, and so the two of them charged in and killed the remaining. Jak would let Mercer do most of the fighting and would sneak attack the Draugr while they were focused on Mercer until eventually they all laid dead at their feet. They passed through several more rooms with Draugr and traps, one room even impressed Mercer as Karliah had left bone chimes hanging so that the Draugr would wake up if either of them hit the chimes, but the two of them sneaked through the room easy enough.

Eventually, they reached an odd door.

"Hmm, looks like one of those ancient nord doors that requires a claw," Mercer began talking, "Karliah has most likely gotten rid of the claw by now, so we're on our own. However, these doors have a weakness and if you know how you can exploit it...." Mercer then opened the door and stepped back.

"After you..."

Jak looked at Mercer and then began walking slowly into the room, he took only a few steps into the room when he was struck with an arrow, he immediately felt the effects of a highly concentrated poison and fell to his knees and then to the floor where he blacked out black out for a few moments. When he came to he could barely see two figures in the room, but he could tell it was Mercer and Karliah, they were arguing and Mercer drew his weapons. Karliah knew it was best not to fight Mercer directly and drank a potion making her disappear, so Mercer walked over to Jak.

"Well well, it seems history is repeating itself. I'm afraid you have heard too much and I can't have you going back to Guild and running your mouth. I'll give Brynjolf your regards... Look at the bright side, now you can be with your mother." Mercer then stabbed his sword through Jak's chest and his vision went black....

Jak slowly opened his eyes and his vision started to clear so he stood up.

"Easy, easy. Don't get up to quickly. How are you feeling?" Karliah stood before him.

"What's going on?" Jak looked around dazed, "Wait.. I should kill you for shooting me and trying to kill me!"

"Ha! I saved your life. That arrow had a unique paralytic poison on it, it took me a year to perfect it. That arrow kept you from bleeding out, you should be thanking me."

Jak was speechless, but asked her why she didn't shoot Mercer instead, Karliah then explained how she never had a clear shot and the best decision was to get Jak out of the way. She then said how she had hoped to catch him alive to make him pay for his crimes against the Guild and for killing Gallus. Jak reluctantly believed her since Mercer had tried to kill him and he had no other option but to trust her, so he asked her what she would do next. She told him how she had a Gallus' journal, but she couldn't translate it, but as she explained it dawned on her, "Enthir, of course!" Jak stood by confused and she told him Enthir was one of Gallus' closest friends and that he would be able to translate the journal. Karliah asked Jak to take the journal to Enthir and he agreed as he knew he couldn't return to Riften without proof that Mercer was a traitor.

Jak got on his horse and headed in the direction of Winterhold, he traveled through the snowy landscape looking for the road and until he eventually found it. On the way he came across a fight between two Vigilants of Stendarr and a vampire.

"Help me please!!!" The vampire cried as Jak rode by... he could hear the fear in her voice and it drew Jak in like a moth to a flame and he began to slow down.

"Don't listen to it!! It is trying to deceive you, get out of here!" One of the Vigilants shouted in response.

Jak realized there was nothing he could do and he was not about to risk fighting a vampire so he sped back up and rode off as fast as he could as one of the Vigilants was killed. He arrived in Winterhold and headed for the inn as it was too late to head up to the College and find Enthir, but as luck would have it while Jak sat a table after having finished a meal a mage came up and sat next to him to chat. The mage was Enthir himself, so Jak explained that Karliah needed his help to translate the journal, but he said he could not do it as it was written in Falmer language. However, Enthir told Jak that a Court Wizard named Calcelmo in Markarth could as he had been researching the Falmer and the Dwemer.

In the morning, Jak left and made his long journey of a few days to Markarth, once in the city he entered Understone Keep and found Calcelmo at his workstation. The elf was irritated and yelled at Jak for just approaching him, he then apologized as blamed it on his excitement for his work and Jak asked him about his work and if he could see it. The elf refused so Jak got serious and tried to intimidate Calcemo, but he simply laughed and mocked Jak by saying he could have him thrown in jail with the snap of his fingers. Knowing he was not going to get Calcelmo to give him his work, Jak decided he would just break into the museum and look at it himself, so after sneaking past the guard he picked the lock and entered the museum. Guards were everywhere, but they were easy to sneak by after Jak figured out their patrolling route.

In the next area Jak found a strange rod and upon picking it up it caused a dwemer spider to start following him, he soon found out the spider was under his control and had it attack the mercenaries hired to guard the place. The spider killed most of the mercenaries, but was eventually overpowered by one, as it died the spider sent out an explosive shock wounding the mercenary so Jak came in and finished the job. He eventually came to a room with a wizard who was studying, so while he was entranced by his work Jak easily sneaked by and went through a door leading him outside to a balcony overlooking Markarth, it was a beautiful sight. Continuing along the balcony, he found the room he was looking for, he walked to the top of the tower and found a stone tablet with the Falmer language on it. Thinking fast he grabbed some charcoal and rolled up paper that was laying around and began writing down what was on the tablet. Suddenly the wizard and some mercenaries came into the tower, "I'm telling you I heard something in here. Check every inch of this place, for anything suspicious." The wizard said as Jak noticed a ledge that went around the room straight to the entrance, so he climbed on the ledge and made his way out.

He then found a hidden path that lead him to the waterfall, and he had to make a decision to jump or risk getting caught by going back through the museum. Jak wasn't about to get caught so he closed his eyes and jumped, he couldn't believe how lucky he was when he saw a skeleton in the water as he assumed that person had made the same jump with a different result. With the translation in his possession all he needed to do was return to Enthir.

Upon arriving in Winterhold, Jak returned to the Frozen Hearth and asked the owner about Enthir, he said a woman had shown up and they headed to the cellar. He entered the cellar and found the two standing at the end talking. After exchanging a few words Jak handed over the translation and Enthir went around the table and began to translate, "This is interesting... but highly disturbing." Enthir said as he continued and then Karliah asked about Mercer and the Twilight Sepulcher. Enthir said he had just got to the part and that Gallus had found out about Mercer's deeds and was about to inform the Guild. Karliah was relieved to know that they had all the evidence they needed to clear her name and reveal the truth about Mercer, she turned to Jak and said they needed to make haste to the Ragged Flagon before Mercer could do anymore damage to the Guild. Before she left she gave Jak Gallus' sword as a gift saying Gallus would be proud, Jak accepted the sword and looked it over as Karliah left.

Jak got some rest and left the next day to return to Riften, and once there he knew he would not be able to go in the Guild's secret entrance so he made his way to the Ratway and into the Flagon. Karliah approached him after entering, "We should hurry, I think some of the members here are starting to catch on to who I am." Jak nodded and the two headed to the Cistern.

"Jak? Mercer said you were dead? What are you doing here with that traitor? You better have a good reason for this." Brynjolf, Vex, and Delvin all glared at Karliah.

"Please, lower your weapons, I have proof that I am innocent and that Mercer is the traitor." Karliah retorted.

Brynjolf reluctantly lowered his weapon, as did Delvin and Vex, and she handed Gallus' journal to him. He began to read and couldn't believe what he saw, but Karliah reassured him that it was all true. Brynjolf wanted further proof so he wanted to look into the vault. Delvin used his key, then Brynjolf used his and as he opened the doors to the vault he couldn't believe his eyes, "Everyone get in here now! It's all gone!" They all entered the vault to find it completely empty and Brynjolf knew Karliah was telling the truth. Vex got angry and wanted to go after Mercer, but Delvin and Brynjolf calmed her down and said they needed a careful plan. Brynjolf approached Jak and said he wanted to talk with him.

"I'm sorry, Jak. I'm sorry I even doubted you, when Mercer told me that you had attacked him at Snow Veil Sanctum and that you were working with Karliah the whole time I didn't want to believe it, but I've known Mercer for so long I trusted him."

"It's alright Brynjolf... What are we going to do now though?"

"Well, I am going to talk with all our contacts and see if we can find where Mercer might have went, and I want you to go to his house here in Riften. Maybe you can find something on where he might have gone." Brynjolf sighed, "And believe me when I say this lad, this is the last place in Skyrim I want to be sending you, so be careful."

He then told Jak about a way to get into his house my using a ramp that Mercer had installed, all Jak had to do was shoot it with an arrow and it would lower. When Jak left the Guild it was night so he took the opportunity to break into Mercer's house, he did as
Brynjolf instructed and shot the ramp and then entered the house. Jak killed the first guard, with his new blade Karliah had given him, and continued to the downstairs where he didn't come across anymore guards and he found a suspicious cabinet. Upon examining it he found it had a false back which led him to the cellar of the house. The house soon turned into a series of tunnels that Mercer had put in underneath the house and it was loaded with traps. Jak made his way carefully through the tunnels avoiding all of Mercer's traps and eventually he found a room with Mercer's plans, a note, and a strange bust. There was also a display case with a unique sword that almost looked like ice, as he approached it he noticed a label on the display that said Chillrend, so Jak unlicked it and took the sword for himself. Jak to the Guild to tell Brnjolf what he found, and lucky enough the tunnels under Mercer's house led right to the Ragged Flagon. He placed the bust on the desk and handed Brynjolf Mercer's plans. Brynjolf looked them over and was shocked to find out that Mercer was going after the Eyes of the Falmer, one of Gallus' pet projects. Brynjolf stated that Mercer going after the Eyes of the Falmer was just an insult to the Guild after everything he had done, he then informed Jak that Karliah needed to speak with them...

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:28 AM