4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Tale of Jonacin
MerGirl
post Jun 24 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=LoneWolf]i think it's when you parry (block) with a sword. A shield blokcing the attack doesn't really allow for a swift counter, which is waht a riposte is, It's meant to catch the opponent off guard, which you can't do if you're just after blocking with a shield[/quote]

Oh, okay. Thank ya for more combat knowledge. biggrin.gif I love battle scenes... I, myself, just can't write them very well. sad.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ShogunSniper
post Jun 24 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

very cool, simple, but cool, try adding some more details. Make it more realistic

--------------------
War is over if you want it.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post Jun 24 2005, 04:00 AM
Post #23

Unregistered

Ok... here you go. That was pretty good. Keep it up.

:goodjob:
+Quote Post
Red
post Jun 24 2005, 04:23 AM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=LoneWolf]i think it's when you parry (block) with a sword. A shield blokcing the attack doesn't really allow for a swift counter, which is waht a riposte is, It's meant to catch the opponent off guard, which you can't do if you're just after blocking with a shield[/quote]

Tis true, I know because I took fencing (I quit though because everyone else was insane. Want to play Yu-gi-Oh? Want to play digimans? Want to watch the pokemon movies?).

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jun 24 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

Great writing LoneWolf.. :goodjob: Think with your combat knowledge the fight between Jonacin and Davik will be pretty good! :lickinglips:
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 24 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Most excellent fight scenes. Hope we begin to get more of a feel for who Jonacin is... He is clearly destined for great things.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 24 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #27

Wise Woman
Group Icon

[quote=treydog]Most excellent fight scenes. Hope we begin to get more of a feel for who Jonacin is... He is clearly destined for great things.[/quote]

I fully agree with treydog here, I love hearing about Jonacin, so keep it up. And you´re really good at fighting-scenes

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 24 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #28

Mage
Group Icon

Cool, the two best writers on the forums like my work biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 24 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #29

Mage
Group Icon

Update time biggrin.gif
Hope you like this one

Jonacin watched as Davik called up his Shehai. While Jonacin’s was a katana, with a long, one edged blade, Davik’s was a regular, double edged longsword. Jonacin knew that this was going to be a very tough battle, especially as it was to the death and not just first contact. An instructor walked into the centre of the ring, motioning to both combatants to join him. He quickly explained the rules, to them, simply that there was to be no foul play like kicking sand into the face of the opponent, and that no aid was to be given/sought for any reason. He then told them to return to opposite sides of the ring and await his signal to begin. He retreated to just outside the ring, and brought his arms up and then down, signaling the start of the duel.

Davik sprang into action almost before the instructor’s arm had dropped, launching his attack with blistering speed. Jonacin was forced onto a desperate defence, frantically parrying the rain of blows that came towards him. He blocked a slash that would have disemboweled him, but was a split second to slow to block the reverse slash. He leapt backwards, but still felt a sudden burning sensation as Davik’s blade sliced across his chest, ripping open a shallow wound. Davik grinned, thinking that the duel was his, and pressed his attack harder.

Suddenly Jonacin ducked and span aside, slashing his sword towards Davik as he did so. He was rewarded with a grunt of pain, as his blade sliced into the muscle of Davik’s shoulder, but it didn’t cause serious damage. Jonacin grinned as he heard Davik mutter a string of curses and span to attack again. Jonacin began to taunt him, hoping to enrage him. One of the first lessons taught to those at the Hall was to always keep control of their emotions, as an enraged fighter was a stupid one. Davik roared in fury, charging towards Jonacin, his blade raised high. Jonacin’s next maneuver was very risky, but would win him the duel if he pulled it off.

As Davik charged towards him, Jonacin crouched low, waiting for his moment to strike. Davik got closer, and began swinging his blade in a downward arc that would take Jonacin’s head off. A split second before the blow connected, he ducked low, and span aside, slashing with his blade as he did so. Both fighters stopped, and turned to face each other. The entire hall was silent. Suddenly Davik let out a groan, and fell to his knees. A thin red line appeared across his chest, and suddenly blood gushed forth from the wound. Davik collapsed forward onto his face, twitched once, and died, a pool of blood spreading out from beneath his body.

Jonacin’s maneuver had worked, his blow cutting deep into Davik’s chest, cutting both lungs a severing many major veins and arteries. The move was incredibly dangerous, and required impeccable timing or it would backfire and result in the death of the one who tried it. Jonacin remained where he stood, suddenly out of breath. The wound in his chest was beginning to hurt now that adrenaline was wearing off, but Jonacin refused to seek treatment for it yet. He faced the crowd who had gathered to watch the duel, and raised his blade in the customary salute before letting it vanish.

--------------------
IPB Image

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Chumbaniya
post Jun 24 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #30

Finder
Group Icon

The description of the fighting in your writing is really good Lonewolf. It really lets you feel the flow and pace of the fight. Nice work!

--------------------
Chumbaniya Has Spoken!

"It's a party. It doesn't have to make sense" - Homer
"To alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jun 24 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

Holy compassion LoneWolf...! Your fighting scenes can almost match up to RA Salvatores, I really love how u and Salvatore goes into the nice detailed combat, even the wounds are detailed - Great writing LoneWolf, hope we can see more fights with Jonacin!

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 24 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #32

Mage
Group Icon

Cool, i got compared to a professional writer biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 24 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #33

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome battle scene, and truly does match Salvatore's skill, though I would say that Salvatore has an extremely different style of writing his battle scenes...

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 24 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #34

Mage
Group Icon

I've never read any books by Salvatore.......

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jun 24 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

I haven't either but my brother goes crazy over his books.

Don't bother him while he's reading them or you get the wrath of :evil13:

Anyway, yes I absolutely think the battle scene was written with great skill. Ooooh gushing blood.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jun 25 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #36

Wise Woman
Group Icon

I agree with all posts above, now you are a very good writer, and getting better and better as well.....the description of the fight was great, you could easily picture it in your mind, and as always a very good usage of the language....so keep it coming Wolfie!

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Jun 25 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #37

Mouth
Group Icon

Oh, so good! *claps* Oh, you really write good fighting scenes! *envy* biggrin.gif

Um, excuse me for being dumb, but what does it mean when they 'span'? Is that another fighting term? Please don't get mad at me... :embarrassed:
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 25 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #38

Mage
Group Icon

You know the way you spin around? span is the past tense of spin (as in i did it earlier and now i'm telling you about it) biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 25 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

that would be err....spun.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 25 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #40

Mage
Group Icon

depends on the context you use it in. Span is right in this situation though

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:29 AM