6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy's Book of Short Stories, Somewhere in Time
mirocu
post May 7 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #61

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I know not who this leader of the Stormcloaks is, but I do know that Buffy this time was much better to display the message that even when it seems as the darkness will stay forever, sunrise is only moments away..

*sniff*

happy.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: May 7 2016, 09:10 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 9 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #62

Master
Group Icon

"His charisma could charm an ice troll" is a perfect description of Ulfric and his way of talking. Nicely done, Buffy, I actually like it that you skipped the part with meeting Ulfric in person because it was interesting to read about him through Buffy's eyes without him being present. While she probably kept most of her thoughts to herself while being a guest in the Palace of Kings, she could talk openly (but with closed doors) to Pantea and Lisette.

Another neat song to conclude the story, though I noticed that whichever facial mod the author was using, made Ulfric look almost too young for his deep voice. wink.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 9 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #63

Councilor
Group Icon

Buffy just has to think "the other side is flawed" when she performs the two "Age of" songs. That's true in each case. tongue.gif

Her description of Ulfric makes me think he's partly Nibenean. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 10 2016, 12:14 AM
Post #64

Councilor
Group Icon

Ha, this is awesome...

“Lisette’s words are true enough,” said Pantea. “Your rendition is, frankly, too depressing. A bard’s job is to inspire, not to engender hopelessness.”

laugh.gif

In general, it's lovely how Buffy's just trying to sing a song, but winds up in a political debate.

Part of me – a very small part, mind you – was drawn to follow him into battle or even his bed

Oh no no no, don't do that! nono.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: May 10 2016, 12:17 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 12 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #65

Councilor
Group Icon

Gosh, Pantea really shines here as she guides budding bard Buffy.

Mesmerizing and disconcerting is a fantastic description of Jarl Ulfric. I like how some of his most compelling (and manipulative) lines ran through the performance.

My favorite moment was Buffy’s chest-thump. I wish Jarl Ulfric could have seen that passion and conviction. Buffy’s dusty relic line made me chuckle. biggrin.gif

This Buffy story is a delight, I am so happy to read every installment!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 13 2016, 01:59 PM
Post #66

Paladin
Group Icon

SubRosa- Heh, I couldn’t resist the reference to the Bards College quests that are all fetch and no sing! Thank you.

mALX- Thanks! I’m really trying to keep the prose parts very small so the focus remains on the songs. That’s why we only provided just a snip of Buffy’s Ulfric impressions. I very much agree about how talented Malukah is. smile.gif

mirocu- Thank you for sticking with us, even though Skyrim’s civil war is somewhat unfamiliar to you. If you ever decide to tolerate Steam, the next song/vid does a wonderful job of showcasing Skyrim.

Lopov- I’m glad Buffy’s impression of Ulfic seemed to match your own. I’m sure you’re right that Buffy kept her opinions to herself while in Windhelm! Thanks!

ghastley- Thank you. You really hit the nail on the head regarding the civil war factions. Both have sound points and serious flaws and I think BethSoft did a good job portraying that.

Renee- How right you are! Buffy just wants to sing and adventure, not get civil war all over her. Yet, she does have strong passions and a big mouth. No worries about Ulfric – I’m sure he’d rather sleep with his horse than a wood elf. wink.gif

Grits- Thank you! I’m so glad that my brevity didn’t shortchange Pantea. I couldn’t resist the irony of an elf seeing that the only path to a free Skyrim is for the humans to unite against the elven Thalmor. tongue.gif

In the last episode, Buffy sang ‘Age of Oppression’ and managed to convey quite a bit of what motivates the Stormcloaks.

We now present the final song of A Bard’s Tale.

A Bard’s Tale – Part 5

As I finished singing, Pantea nodded soberly. “Superbly done, Buffy. You convey little doubt that Ulfic and his Stormcloaks are devoted to both Skyrim and their cause. Congratulations on the amazing progress you’ve made.”

“Thank you both,” I said. “I so appreciate you helping me to improve and gain confidence singing to others.” I then managed a crooked smile. “So am I a bard now?”

“Not quite, little one,” Pantea replied, “but the Dean of Lute informs me that your progress with her has also been excellent.”

“I’m a mystic archer and, fortunately, my ability with a bowstring seems to translate to the strings of a lute quite readily.”

Pantea nodded. “Good. You will need it for your final exercise.”

“Final exercise?” I repeated.

“Yes, one that I hope you will enjoy. Buffy, I want you to now incorporate all you have learned and create an original song – one to inspire listeners and that reflects the wild magnificence of Skyrim. And you are to provide your own lute accompaniment. When you think you’re ready, you will audition for me. If I deem you prepared, you will then perform your song before an evening audience at the Winking Skeever.”

It was two weeks of hard work, sore fingers, countless drafts and several unsatisfactory auditions before the demanding Lady Pantea pronounced me ‘fit for public consumption’.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” began Lisette, “it is my honor to introduce the College of Bards’ newest songbird. Please welcome my lovely friend, Buffy.” She then sat down to join the audience.

The Skeever was generally receptive to bards and I was encouraged by applause as, with lute in hand, I made my way to the performing area.

“Thank you for that kind welcome.” There were now over a score of silent faces focused upon me, watching and waiting to see if I could deliver on Lisette’s promise. I felt the tendrils of uncertainty and self-doubt begin to wrap themselves around me. All this ‘newest songbird’ wanted to do at the moment was to fly away. I gulped.

Sensing my nervousness, it was Acadian who silently recited Lady Pantea’s words back to me, ’If and when I proclaim you ready for real audiences, you may rest assured that they will not find you lacking.’

The paladin was able to dispel enough of my fears for me to continue. “I am told that I have a gift for conveying images, impressions and memories via my singing voice.” I took a deep breath as I remembered my lessons on delivery tempo and not letting nerves spill my words too quickly. “The song I’ve prepared for you is a tribute to this ruggedly majestic and violent land we share. Since it is not possible to separate Skyrim from those of us who call it home, my song also features a woman I’ve had the privilege to travel with on several occasions. She is called the Lioness, for she epitomizes the untamable grace and power that characterize the very soul of Skyrim.”

After a few moments of introducing the melody by lute, I lifted my voice in song.

Music video. (Video is 4:48, but song ends at 3:30)

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 13 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #67

Ancient
Group Icon

Yay! Now we can publically consume Buffy! Oops, that came out sounding a little creepy. Get back to the Wasteland Loviatar! No one to eat here!

Buffy overcame her natural stage fright and delivered us a wonderful lullaby to the often cruel majesty that is Skyrim.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 13 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #68

Mouth
Group Icon

So Buffy has Pantea's seal of approval and is fit to be consumed by the public? tongue.gif Quite the achievement.

Looking forward to see where (and when) Buffy takes us next.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 13 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #69

Spam Meister
Group Icon

@Acadian - By the images portrayed by Buffy´s voice I have no doubt that Skyrim is a fantastic place. Alas, I have both my heart and my character in Cyrodiil and if I want to watch the beauty of Skyrim, I need only to look outside my window.. wink.gif

@Buffy - Your talent is nothing short of amazing. You have a wonderful voice and an ability few can match that perfectly accompanies your talent with the lute. If you want my advice, venture forth on this road upon which you have embarked. I would not want to deny Tamriel of such beauty and joy happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 13 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #70

Councilor
Group Icon

It took me several minutes to connect "the Lioness" to Mjoll. kvright.gif

Those would certainly make a balanced team, covering each other's skill gaps, as long as Mjoll knows not to get in between Buffy and her target. nono.gif

I found the video was a bit heavy on the sound effects, and they drowned out the voice. I'll have to google for a version without, but that will probably mean no video.

This post has been edited by ghastley: May 13 2016, 05:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 13 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 13 2016, 09:15 AM) *

Yay! Now we can publically consume Buffy! Oops, that came out sounding a little creepy. Get back to the Wasteland Loviatar! No one to eat here!

Buffy overcame her natural stage fright and delivered us a wonderful lullaby to the often cruel majesty that is Skyrim.

rollinglaugh.gif

Buffy already worked her fingers to the bone writing that song and practicing it, nothing left to eat her at all! laugh.gif

@ Acadian - What a nice chapter this was! I did love Buffy's song, but would not have chosen to watch that vid while eating had I known in advance she was using the "Bloody Mess" mod in her vision-projection!

Now I can't wait to see what is next for Miss Buffy!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 14 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #72

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome! Glad to see she's conquered the guild of bards. *claps*

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post May 16 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #73

Master
Group Icon

A satisfying ending to the Bard's Tale, culminating in Buffy's first song to be performed publicly. Lioness definitely deserves her place in the song. Well done, Buffy the bard!

This post has been edited by Lopov: May 16 2016, 03:29 PM

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 17 2016, 11:56 PM
Post #74

Master
Group Icon

A Bard’s Tale – Part 4

Criticism is met with a bit of truth here. I love what Buffy said about the brutality of this war.
“To encourage the Stormcloaks and Legion to kill each other simply delivers this beautiful land to the Thalmor who would doubtless purge it of any surviving humans. Even an elf can see that; why cannot the Emperor and Ulfric Stormcloak?”

You know, I did imagine she would have to go to a dusty cavern for some old tome or something. What was a surprisingly brief trip meant great results. She met Mr. Stormcloak, drawn to him in a small but significant enough way to uh . . . oh my.

There was a duality there when learning about the Stormcloaks. Buffy doesn't just sing but she goes in there to get inspiration for her work, the way many artists, singers and writers do. I love it!

A Bard’s Tale – Part 5

Bahaha. After all is said and done, here comes the original. "Am I done yet?"

Not quite as a final task is placed in order. I can say that the song captured me as it surely captured the crowd. Buffy, Songbird of Skyrim, Mystic Archer, Bowgirl!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 18 2016, 03:23 AM
Post #75

Councilor
Group Icon

Ooo, I was hoping for The Beauty of Dawn! Yay, that is perfect for Buffy! “Loyal hearts we’ll stand as one, and fight with shields of hope.” I loved seeing that song set to visions of Skyrim.

Buffy’s words about the Lioness were as lyrical as her song. Lady Pantea’s seal of approval is well-deserved.

I have enjoyed every bit of A Bard’s Tale. Congratulations to Skyrim’s newest and loveliest songbird! happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 20 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #76

Paladin
Group Icon

SubRosa- Thanks! You bring up the interesting prospect of Loviatar visiting Skyrim. . . I’m sure she’d get on well with Persephone and the Darryl brothers. ohmy.gif

hazmick- Heh, it was Pantea’s ‘seal of approval’ that gave Buffy just that extra bit of confidence she needed. Thank you!

mirocu- Long may Lothran roam in Cyrodiil, my friend. Please forgive me when my Skythusiasm gets too pushy. embarrased.gif Aww, thanks for your kind words to the new songbird.

ghastley- Thanks! Buffy and Mjoll do work well together. Of course it requires a mod addressing her motormouth and another to tweak her stealth. I did like the vid, but you’re right in that it was pretty busy and had lots of sound effects.

mALX- Thank you! Most of the supporting vids I had to choose from did not spare the gore. Thankfully, they showed quite a bit of Skyrim’s beauty as well.

Renee- Thanks! Buffy sometimes plays a song or two when she stays at some of the taverns.

Lopov- Buffy’s always been in awe of women who can do what she can never aspire to. In Cyrodiil, it was Sir Mazoga. In Skyrim it is Mjoll the Lioness who epitomize this. I’m sure if she ever met the Warrior Princess Xena, she’d feel the same about her. Thank you!

DE- Thanks for your warm support. Yes, I don’t think Buffy could have sang for either the red or blue coats without first taking the time to understand the passion they feel for their respective causes.

Grits- Beauty of Dawn had me right at the title since Buffy is literally a Child of Dawn. Buffy is inspired by Mjoll in much the same way she was by Mazoga. I confess the woman in that song also reminded me of your own Jensa, whose stories I quietly follow over on the other forum. Thank you!

Our next story finds Buffy in the Riften area of Fourth Era Skyrim. She takes on a relatively straightforward fictitious quest involving a dungeon crawl. The tale will require two episodes.

The Case of the Missing Court Mage – Part 1

“I was sent by the College of Winterhold in response to a message regarding Wylandriah. How’d you manage to lose your court mage?”

“Thank you for coming,” replied the Altmer who towered over me. “We’ve never been introduced, but I’ve seen you here in Mistveil Keep on several occasions conducting business with Wylandriah. I’m Anuriel, steward to Jarl Laila.”

“Pleased to meet you. I’m Buffy.” I accepted her offered hand in greeting. “Your message said the matter was urgent, but provided few details. I know Wylandriah can be. . . absent minded. Did she perhaps just wander off somewhere or get lost searching the nearby forest for spiders or ingredients?”

“That’s what we thought at first also,” Anuriel replied as she handed me a small scroll that was smudged with dirt, “until we got this.”

I unrolled then read the parchment. “Kidnapped! And the brigands want a large sum of gold for her return.”

Anuriel nodded. “Wylandriah’s abductors overestimate the depth of Riften’s coffers. More importantly, however, the Jarl is loath to meet their demands for concern that should we pay a ransom it would only encourage more kidnappings. Rather, she wants the fetchers’ heads on pikes outside our gates as warning to others. While our own guard force is doubtless capable of defeating them, recovering Wylandriah alive would likely prove problematic. Even more vexing is that we have no idea where she’s being held.” The Altmer looked hopefully at me.

“I have some experience in such matters,” I said. “I believe I can help.”

“The resources of Riften are at your disposal. How many soldiers and what supplies do you require?”

“For now,” I replied, “all I need is an item of Wylandriah’s to help me divine her location. Something she has recently held or worn and, ideally, of some significance to her.”

“Hmm.” Anuriel laid a pensive finger aside her cheek as her eyes studied the intricately carved ceiling art. After a moment, her gaze swept down to meet mine and she announced, “I think I know just the thing. Follow me.”

After leading me into Wylandriah’s quarters, Anuriel produced a gold and ruby amulet from the mage’s jewelry box. “I believe this was her mother’s. She often wears it to dinner here in the Keep.”

I closed my fingers around the pendant and my fist glowed briefly. “This should work fine. I’ve set Wylandriah’s essence to my clairvoyance spell.”

“Well cast it and tell me where she is,” instructed the steward anxiously.

“It doesn’t work that way.” I stepped back out into the great hall with Anuriel in tow, then filled one fist with magic. As I opened my fingers a pale blue cloud lazily swirled out from my palm, snaking a path to the main doors. I stopped the flow of magic, allowing the trail to fade. “That’s how it works. All it can tell us in here is that Wylandriah's not in Mistveil Keep, which I’m sure is no surprise. I may need to use the spell in town a couple times to determine if she’s beyond the city’s walls. Hopefully, the next time you see me, Wylandriah will be at my side.” Before I turned to leave, I added, “I’ll then be able to inform your guards where they may harvest her captors’ heads.”

My clairvoyance spell had led me to the kidnappers’ lair, less than half a day south of Riften. According to my doeskin map, it was called Broken Helm Hollow.

Perched on a boulder and relying on plenty of distance and overhanging branches to avoid detection, my eyes followed a mountain trail as it led up to a ledge. An arch-shaped opening among the rocks had been framed and closed off by a sturdy-looking door. A waterfall fell very close to the entrance as it sparkled, sprayed and plummeted from several hundred feet above to awaiting boulders an equal distance below. The area was guarded by a pair of brigands.

Releasing a fistful of magic, Slayer quickly materialized in my left hand. The bow’s quiver settled comfortably against my back. With an arrow nocked, my fingers addressed the silk bowstring. The large weapon provided the strength I lacked to manage its heavy draw as the staff relaxed its graceful recurve, bending until the arrow’s fletching rested against my cheek. With Slayer doing most of the work, I held full draw and focused on the target area until it snapped into greatly magnified view.

I could see now that one guard was clad in fur and armed with bow and dagger. His comrade wore tattered leathers and a mace rode at one hip. Patience, Buffy.

Sure enough, ‘mace’ stepped over to the nearby waterfall to fill a waterskin.

I loosed. A moment later, his archer companion was slammed into the wall of rock surrounding the cave’s door and crumpled to the ground.

‘Mace’ ran over and knelt by the body as I nocked my second arrow. After a cursory inspection, he stood, drew his weapon and began scanning my general direction for a sniper.

My arrow tore through his leather breast plate, pierced his heart and carried his corpse several feet back into the rocks behind him.

I slipped down from my perch, made my way to the cave’s entrance and searched the corpses. My efforts to ensure neither had been lost over the nearby ledge into the waterfall were in vain, for I found no clues that would help my quest to safely recover Wylandriah.

I quenched my thirst from the waterfall then crouched into stealth. Both feet gently blossomed with blue magic, surrounding me with a continuous subtle aura that would greatly subdue any light and noise I emitted – but only from those hostile to me.

I slipped through the cave’s door into the den of the kidnappers.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 20 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #77

Councilor
Group Icon

I like the way you make some sense of the Clairvoyance spell. Not one I use often, but it is at least more realistic than the quest arrow on the map!

Clark's story didn't say where they took Wylandriah, but it was a Companions rescue quest that gave me the idea for her part in his tale, and that was W in BH, too! I hope she doesn't find the whole team in there!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post May 20 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #78

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Ah, very interesting spell Buffy has. Wouldn´t mind it myself when I can´t find things I have misplaced tongue.gif

Be careful, Buffy. Failure comes to those who expect to always succeed. Then again, I know you are not arrogant enough to let that happen wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
hazmick
post May 20 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #79

Mouth
Group Icon

Ooh a rescue mission! I like the way you used the Clairvoyance spell, and the muffling spell at the end will no doubt come in handy.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 20 2016, 11:57 PM
Post #80

Ancient
Group Icon

The Jarl of Riften misplaced Wylandriah? I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing as Buffy at first. She might be looking for those spiders she mislaid...

A nice description of the game's Clairvoyance spell, along with an excellent way of making it make sense.

Two shots, two kills. Hecate approves Buffy's sniper ethics.

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:05 PM