Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is the NCR or Mr. House the "best" option?, Let's debate! And I'm having trouble deciding for my playt
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 10 2018, 02:13 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

I am at a crossroads in my Fallout: New Vegas playthrough. My plan was to run with the NCR to the end and burn [censored] Caesar's Legion to the ground. I also am not interested in taking over New Vegas for myself, although I thought about it.

So now I am at the part where Colonel Moore of the NCR tells me to take Mr. House out of the picture. I am not a fan of House, but I wasn't expecting a point where I would actually have to directly turn on him. I was a bit uncomfortable with the proposition, but then when I actually came to his shriveled body that is barely being kept alive, I really became unsure if what I was doing what was right. I disabled him first, but then he pleaded for death that I could not give to him then. I then reloaded and outright killed him, which is when I received that Pip-Boy note about how great he was and that he died (how that news got out that fast is beyond me). Both resulted in negative karma.

As I've played through the game, I've grown more uncomfortable with the NCR. House doesn't either, but it is a tough choice to decide whether the Mojave is better off the NCR or House at the helm. It seems that there is no way to get them to cooperate.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind some moral ambiguity. In fact, I think it has greatly enhanced Bethesda games when it has been employed (yes, I know FNV is Obsidian). But it is a bit frustrating that it is at a crucial point in the game and it doesn't really feel right going either way.

Some of my thoughts on the matter, and then I want to hear from you all.

Mr. House Pros:
-Had incredible foresight at predicting the Great War and was able to save his city from total annihilation (although that seems like a rather convenient plot point, but whatever)
-Has an ambitious vision for the future
-For the most part, has kept visitors safe and has mostly kept the city out of the hostilities between the NCR and Legion

Mr. House Cons:
-Incredibly smug and condescending, which partly contributes to me questioning his character
-A dictator is a dictator, even if he is "benevolent"; whatever his vision is, he seems to not stop at anything to get his way and must be in control of it all
-While New Vegas itself is safe, he has done nothing to rein in Freeside
-Has implemented some unfair policies in The Strip; for example, filling most of Vault 21 in with concrete, the home of Sarah Weintraub

NCR Pros:
-Have what seems to be the most legitimate government left in the United States, and overall tries to reasonably implement law and order
-They're not the Legion
-Some are willing to go the diplomatic route like Crocker
-Seem to have a good vision for the future of the Mojave, for the most part

NCR Cons:
-Have forced a lot of independent areas to be absorbed under their rule, whether they wanted to be or not
-It may not seem this way on the surface, but it is concerning how divided they are and how these divisions often have goals at odds with each other
-Some, such as Colonel Moore, are way too approving of political killings; the Great Khans are certainly not the best people and I thought about offing them before, but the particular route Moore wanted me to go about seemed...genocidal (fortunately I was able to get them to leave the Mojave peacefully and not ally with the Legion); I am also trying to keep the Brotherhood of Steel from being destroyed because they have not done anything to me and Veronica is my companion

Of course, what I mean by "best" is who is more so the "good" faction.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. So now I ask you: Do you think Mr. House or the NCR are the best (or at least better) choice to rule the Mojave?

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Nov 10 2018, 02:13 AM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:00 PM