Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NaNoWriMo 2013!, It's that time of year again!
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 1 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Master
Group Icon

The time is upon us! The challenge of writing 50,000 words in one month, of penning 1600 words every day, has come! Loin your girds, prepare your preferred writing implement, sacrifice a goat to the Mighty Grash'Haggurack, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of writing!

Drama aside, is anybody giving NaNo a try this year? Having now loined my girds, prepared my preferred writing implement and sacrificed a goat to the Might Grash'Haggurack, I will be taking part in a kind of tangential way; I'm using it to spur me into finishing a current novel project that I've been working on for a while.

Does anyone else have any NaNo plans/ambitions? Any works they're working on at all? If so, I'm making this the thread for exchanging ideas, giving encouragement and swapping goat sacrifice tips. Because we all know that if we don't then the Mighty Grash'Haggurack will be otherwise displeased and shall rise to consume the world in madness and hellfire.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 1 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #2

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 1 2013, 12:35 PM) *

Because we all know that if we don't then the Mighty Grash'Haggurack will be otherwise displeased and shall rise to consume the world in madness and hellfire.

Then that´s what he has to do cause I have no idea what NaNoProMoLowRide is mellow.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 1 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 1 2013, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 1 2013, 12:35 PM) *

Because we all know that if we don't then the Mighty Grash'Haggurack will be otherwise displeased and shall rise to consume the world in madness and hellfire.

Then that´s what he has to do cause I have no idea what NaNoProMoLowRide is mellow.gif

It's National Novel Writing Month; every November for the last 10 years or so there's been a challenge to write 50,000 words in a single month. There's more info on the official website if you're interested.

Now go and sacrifice your goat, dammit.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 1 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Hmm, I wonder if I could complete a draft of my Bruma chapter in one month. I’m sure that wouldn’t “count” as a NaNoWriMo project, but getting 50,000 words out without going back to edit seems to fit the spirit of the event. And also maybe that would help increase my once per three months posting rate. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Nov 1 2013, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

It's whatever you want. I was gonna set my account up today, but it"'ll have to wait.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 1 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

I found an official forum for rebels, so I went ahead and sacrificed my goat. tongue.gif

I set up daily files to keep easy track of my word count and discourage editing. We'll see how it goes. wacko.gif 50,000 words might produce 20,000 that I want to keep!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Nov 1 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

Exactly! Some of the "losers" even get book deals. My husband wants Kayla's story to become a canon. I laughed at him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 1 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 1 2013, 01:00 PM) *

I found an official forum for rebels, so I went ahead and sacrificed my goat. tongue.gif

I set up daily files to keep easy track of my word count and discourage editing. We'll see how it goes. wacko.gif 50,000 words might produce 20,000 that I want to keep!

Rebel forum? Que? huh.gif
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Nov 1 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Nov 1 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Exactly! Some of the "losers" even get book deals. My husband wants Kayla's story to become a canon. I laughed at him.

Kayla's story? Canon? Hahaha.

Imagine all of our stories canon. That would be the day. We can only hope.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 1 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Nov 1 2013, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Nov 1 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Kayla's story? Canon? Hahaha.

Imagine all of our stories canon. That would be the day. We can only hope.

Man, the Shivering Isles expansion would rock. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 1 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

Kobby can write that much in one week. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 1 2013, 06:07 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 1 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 1 2013, 12:24 PM) *

Third one down. An official forum for folks who are participating in the spirit of the event if not following the exact rules. Writing screenplays, non-fiction, continuing works in progress, that sort of thing. Though how anyone manages to do the writing and also write about the writing is beyond me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Nov 2 2013, 01:23 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

Did it before - in 2010 and 2011. Won both times. The 2010 one is on the back burner for editing. If you are reading Cardonaccum, you are reading what I wrote in 2011. I didn't participate last year because between work and a hell of a class I didn't feel like having fun with it. This year I'm participating again with another story idea that I've been mulling for a month.

If you sit down and work at it daily, it's amazing how much you can get out on paper (or screen, if digital is your mode). I find that applying a little BDSM on that inner editor really works, and imagining that pissed off little $hit in the corner really makes my day.

There are a ton of forums on the official website with lots of fun people. The Romance forum a couple of years ago posted a thread on romance tropes that had me rolling! Especially considering that I hate romances for exactly those reasons!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 2 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 1 2013, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 1 2013, 12:24 PM) *

Third one down. An official forum for folks who are participating in the spirit of the event if not following the exact rules. Writing screenplays, non-fiction, continuing works in progress, that sort of thing. Though how anyone manages to do the writing and also write about the writing is beyond me.

Huh, guess I should get on that seeing as I'm finishing a work instead of just writing from scratch.

In other news, I am writing LIKE A LITERATURE BEAST today. Probably helps that I'm hitting my novel's climax, but I've managed to get about 1000 words don in just an hour today. NaNo is one hell of a motivator.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 2 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay!! I'm glad to hear it. To me that's the whole point, to generate a lengthy piece of work that did not exist on Oct. 31. smile.gif

I'm using the trick of writing the first sentence of the next day's part so that I have a jumping-off point. No blank screen paralysis if there's already a prompt on the page, no matter how small. I hope, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 2 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 2 2013, 02:22 PM) *

Yay!! I'm glad to hear it. To me that's the whole point, to generate a lengthy piece of work that did not exist on Oct. 31. smile.gif

I'm using the trick of writing the first sentence of the next day's part so that I have a jumping-off point. No blank screen paralysis if there's already a prompt on the page, no matter how small. I hope, lol.

Hmm, may have to borrow that trick, actually, sounds like a good one to help get things started. Cheers Grits smile.gif

Also, looking forward to seeing some more Jerric appearing soon from all of this wink.gif
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Nov 3 2013, 06:07 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Sigh, it's that time of the year again. I can worldbuild like it's nothing, but writing down stories is just too hard. sad.gif

I'll pass on even trying this year. I'm slow enough with my fanfic writing and fanfic reading as it is. So no Nanowrimo for me, just some plastic modelling competition.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Nov 3 2013, 09:57 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Just hit the 50,000 word mark on my novel; UNSTOPPABLE LITERATURE BEAST!! (Yes, I know it's cheating to start with 44,000 words already written. Be quiet).

Also, for those interested, my writing profile can be found here. Add me as a buddy and I shall add you and we shall be bestest of fwiends forever.
And it's totally not a cunning plan to get a sneak peak at what you're writing next, H.E.R.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Nov 4 2013, 12:15 AM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Nov 3 2013, 02:57 PM) *

Just hit the 50,000 word mark on my novel; UNSTOPPABLE LITERATURE BEAST!! (Yes, I know it's cheating to start with 44,000 words already written. Be quiet).
Aaaand that's why they have the rebel forum on Nanowrimo. For the benefit of others, Nanowrimo can be used to power through that thorny last bit of that unfinished masterpiece - just keep your November word count separate from the rest of that novel.

Also, for those interested, my writing profile can be found here. Add me as a buddy and I shall add you and we shall be bestest of fwiends forever.
And it's totally not a cunning plan to get a sneak peak at what you're writing next, H.E.R.
Ummm, you might be disappointed, as I haven't yet put anything up on my profile. biggrin.gif

In other NNWM news: I went off to my first write-in at the local Panera's. We did two word sprints and I fired off 1400 words between the two sprints. Came back home with a total count of 1749 words so far today. Pretty good, but short of my daily goal of 2,000. Still, I didn't write yesterday, so I have a lot of catching up to do! wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 4 2013, 01:09 AM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

That sounds fun! I would be pleasantly distracted by the jugs of tea. How long is a word sprint? Is it a timed thing?

I'm catching up from an off day yesterday, too. Nearly there. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:11 AM