> Let's Talk About Characters
mALX
post Jun 17 2015, 05:49 AM
Post #101

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 16 2015, 11:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 16 2015, 09:57 PM) *

Maybe I can sell potions too, can you make good money selling hand crafted potions?

Right now Jerric is very low level in Alchemy, but I can check and see how much he would get for his potions. He has only put one skill point into the ability that makes plants look misty and glow when you go near. It's very helpful. He has collected a lot more plants since he got that skill.

I researched the list of ingredients, and after hours of comparing traits and eliminations came out with an awesome recipe - wrote it up and went right to Jerric's notebook page to list it and looked at your post first - it was there already, Jerric's first potion on the list, rollinglaugh.gif

Oh well. But I'm wondering if any of the perks you can get for Alchemy will make it where you can use the same ingredient twice like that one ability in Oblivion when you reached like Master level in Alchemy? Because if so, Columbine + Columbine would be like going into God Mode, lol.

Anyway, I am going to try making a potion (next time I get to play) now that I have a little more insight into it.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 17 2015, 07:37 AM
Post #102

Ancient
Group Icon

I just found this article and thought it would be good to post it here where I can find it again; it goes into explicit detail on every aspect of Blacksmithing; but does so in an orderly fashion and in laymen's terms so even I can understand it:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/di...o-blacksmithing

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 17 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #103

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 17 2015, 04:39 AM) *

What was the enchantment Haa Rei put on it? I mean what does it do?

He used a trait which increased weapon enchantment effect, but it wasn't enchanted so it was a bit of a waste tongue.gif
If it had been enchanted with, say, shock damage, then the trait would have boosted that.

I'm not sure how enchanting works yet. Haven't tried it out.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 17 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #104

Councilor
Group Icon

Jerric has no head for enchanting, so he buys his glyphs from a merchant. As far as he can tell there are weapon, armor, and jewelry enchantment glyphs. He thinks this because he bought a glyph and tried to use it on everything he owned to no avail until he finally found a necklace. You enchant from the item’s entry in the inventory menu, not from the enchanting station.

The enchanting station is where you combine the glowy runes that you find in the wild to craft a glyph which you can then use to enchant an item. You discover the different rune properties much the same way that you discover alchemy reagent properties. You can also deconstruct glyphs, but that sort of nonsense is for elves and Bretons (says the Nord).

mALX, Jerric’s potions still sell for 1 gold each. He has made more money and gotten some good benefits by completing supply writs for Alchemy. He even got three nirnroot as a reward, and he hasn’t found any nirnroot in the wild yet. So at low levels I’d say supply writs are the way to earn. And also keep making potions that you use for practice.

hazmick, thanks to Haa Rei’s excellent Handy Crafting Guide, Jerric figured out how he made that one good sword that he couldn’t use yet but then everything else was crap. I must have bumped the number of ingots up while figuring the controls out. Now that he knows how to make better iron gear he can make a few new items to wear and boost his armor rating. Thank you!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 18 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #105

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 17 2015, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 17 2015, 04:39 AM) *

What was the enchantment Haa Rei put on it? I mean what does it do?

He used a trait which increased weapon enchantment effect, but it wasn't enchanted so it was a bit of a waste tongue.gif
If it had been enchanted with, say, shock damage, then the trait would have boosted that.

I'm not sure how enchanting works yet. Haven't tried it out.

Here is the best description I've found on how to do it:

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-pro...ons/enchanting/

I've made several glyphs just by guessing and testing; if there is a way to optimize them I haven't figured that out yet.

If you have any glyphs and want to enchant something you just go to that item in your inventory and Right click on it; and choose Enchant - then go down the list of your glyphs and decide which you want to use for that item.

I've got all my armor in Health/Magicka/and Stamina enchantments; and all my weapons in shock and fire - just made an ice glyph today, but haven't applied it yet.

Oh, one tip I don't know if it is in that page or not: When you are at the Enchanting station, it defaults to "All" items; meaning you are left guessing what is what.

Instead of that, it is much easier to go to the top right of the enchanting window and find the icon for "All" - the next three icons to the right of it are the separate rune folders. (Potency, Essence, and Aspect).

Click on each of those and it will show Only the runes for that category. Select any one you want by activating it; then go to the next icon, do the same, then the next = same.

When you have all three runes showing you click on "Create Glyph."

From then on you will know what properties each of those runes you used has, so the next time you do it choose up so you learn more; then you can begin planning to make a more powerful item by juggling them as per the lists on that link I posted on enchanting.

I haven't figured out how to optimize them yet, for all I know I could be making better and more powerful glyphs - I really need to check it out, lol.

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 17 2015, 09:56 AM) *

Jerric has no head for enchanting, so he buys his glyphs from a merchant. As far as he can tell there are weapon, armor, and jewelry enchantment glyphs. He thinks this because he bought a glyph and tried to use it on everything he owned to no avail until he finally found a necklace. You enchant from the item’s entry in the inventory menu, not from the enchanting station.

The enchanting station is where you combine the glowy runes that you find in the wild to craft a glyph which you can then use to enchant an item. You discover the different rune properties much the same way that you discover alchemy reagent properties. You can also deconstruct glyphs, but that sort of nonsense is for elves and Bretons (says the Nord).

mALX, Jerric’s potions still sell for 1 gold each. He has made more money and gotten some good benefits by completing supply writs for Alchemy. He even got three nirnroot as a reward, and he hasn’t found any nirnroot in the wild yet. So at low levels I’d say supply writs are the way to earn. And also keep making potions that you use for practice.

hazmick, thanks to Haa Rei’s excellent Handy Crafting Guide, Jerric figured out how he made that one good sword that he couldn’t use yet but then everything else was crap. I must have bumped the number of ingots up while figuring the controls out. Now that he knows how to make better iron gear he can make a few new items to wear and boost his armor rating. Thank you!

Oh good info, thank you for the tips!

Yes, thank you big time for those instructions Hazmick! I made my first items today thanks to your tips - 3 metal daggers (then I ran out of racial stones). Your instructions were clear and concise, just perfect!

And thank you for these tips, Grits! Okay, I picked up one writ today and didn't even look at it, I most def will.

I leveled up today and it put me above the level of my quests on my list so they all turned green, darn it! So I'm not sure if I should hurry through doing them to get them off the list or do the ones in yellow first so I don't level up again and ruin the leveling on them too. Urk.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 18 2015, 01:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 18 2015, 01:48 AM
Post #106

Councilor
Group Icon

I’ve read somewhere that green is the right level quest for you, yellow is still OK but will be harder, and the ones that go grey are too low so you will get the reward but not get the experience from it. Jerric has been following his green quests and doing the yellow ones he comes across as he passes, and his results are consistent with the advice he was given. He’s only had one quest go grey on him, and he still got the reward for it. Some gold and an item that he sold so he could feed his horse. laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 18 2015, 01:56 AM
Post #107

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 17 2015, 08:48 PM) *

I’ve read somewhere that green is the right level quest for you, yellow is still OK but will be harder, and the ones that go grey are too low so you will get the reward but not get the experience from it. Jerric has been following his green quests and doing the yellow ones he comes across as he passes, and his results are consistent with the advice he was given. He’s only had one quest go grey on him, and he still got the reward for it. Some gold and an item that he sold so he could feed his horse. laugh.gif

Hmm, so I've been doing yellow ones up till now, and now the Davon's Watch quests are all green, but the new ones I'm being given after I complete those are yellow.

My son has been doing quests above his head, so he must have it wrong. Is there any written in white? I thought I saw some white writing today.

And darn it, I forgot to check out the store today. sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 18 2015, 02:02 AM
Post #108

Councilor
Group Icon

Here's one thing I found about the quest colors. That info is from the fall, so I would go with what you have observed in your own game. Also the PC and console UIs are different, so my grey might be white to you for visibility on the PC screen.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 18 2015, 03:09 AM
Post #109

Mouth
Group Icon

I always just do a quest as soon as I receive it, otherwise I'll probably forget about it and only remember once it's gone old and grey tongue.gif

All Haa Rei's current quests are yellow, though we had a red one before. Completed it anyway since it didn't require any combat.

Oh by the way mALX, if you're looking for race stones to do more crafting then all crafting merchants (woodworkers, carpenters, blacksmiths etc.) will sell them. They'll usually be hanging around near crafting stations.

Glad my guide was helpful happy.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 18 2015, 08:12 AM
Post #110

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 17 2015, 09:02 PM) *

Here's one thing I found about the quest colors. That info is from the fall, so I would go with what you have observed in your own game. Also the PC and console UIs are different, so my grey might be white to you for visibility on the PC screen.

Okay, this is good news. That means I'll still get the appropriate XP and loot! Thank you nGrits!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 18 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #111

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 17 2015, 10:09 PM) *

I always just do a quest as soon as I receive it, otherwise I'll probably forget about it and only remember once it's gone old and grey tongue.gif

All Haa Rei's current quests are yellow, though we had a red one before. Completed it anyway since it didn't require any combat.

Oh by the way mALX, if you're looking for race stones to do more crafting then all crafting merchants (woodworkers, carpenters, blacksmiths etc.) will sell them. They'll usually be hanging around near crafting stations.

Glad my guide was helpful happy.gif

What I've been doing (and I'm not happy with this system) is to pick up all the quests I can in an area and then do them in the order I come across them so there is very little going back and forth repeatedly.

It seemed to work well in Bleakrock, but in Bal Foyen it began to interfere with my enjoyment of the quests.

Now in Davon's Watch I have numerous quests, and all those quest markers everywhere are getting confusing.

I think from now on I'm going to only accept one quest at a time and complete it before accepting another - much better for roleplay that way too.

Yes on the tip for buying the stones - that is how I got them, lol. (Thank you, because I didn't know that; just happened to notice when I was unloading junk, lol).

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 18 2015, 08:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 19 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #112

Councilor
Group Icon

I’ve started pacing myself with the quests by doing crafting writs in between. There’s less sense of rushing around this way. Using the wayshrines to travel back and forth to the bank also helps. I rarely fast travel in the real TES games, but in this one it helps make the world feel less cramped.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 19 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #113

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 19 2015, 08:34 AM) *

I’ve started pacing myself with the quests by doing crafting writs in between. There’s less sense of rushing around this way. Using the wayshrines to travel back and forth to the bank also helps. I rarely fast travel in the real TES games, but in this one it helps make the world feel less cramped.

I always gather ingredients and materials as I walk around anyway, so haven't changed that - but I did start specifically doing one quest only until completion to get it off my journal; and from now on will only take one quest at a time and complete it before taking another.

What got me confused and adding so many quests at once before was that the game puts a marker on quest givers that hangs in your face on your compass until you have picked them up - so many times I have ended up following one of those markers and talked to the NPC thinking it was part of my quest and ended up picking up another quest instead.

The next thing I know I've got seven open quests and don't know what anything is, so I end up just following markers till I see an arrow - that was ruining the roleplay for me.

Well, I found a way to fix that; I've been selecting which quest I want to complete and clicking "show on map" - when it shows it on the map you click "F" to set it as your destination. Now that quest marker is the only one on your compass that shows in blue, so you can track down just the quest you are on and ignore all the other symbols on your compass (except the SkyShard ones, of course, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 5 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #114

Ancient
Group Icon

Right from the start I had wanted to try out every Class and every Alliance to see which one I like best so I can make an informed choice for one ultimate character to play through the whole game with).

So far I've tried the Templar (in Ebonheart Pact), and the Nightblade (in the Daggerfall Covenant).

So last night I made a new character to test out the Aldmeri Dominion; and chose the Sorcerer Class to test next.

(Have not tried the Dragon Knight yet, but will).

The Classes in the order I liked them from best to worst:

#1 = The Nightblade was my favorite of all. He has died the least of all my characters, and has been in the highest level dungeons of any of my characters.

He was cleaning house with enemies way above his level right from the start. Many of them he can kill before they can even reach him unless they are using long range spells.

His main weapon is the very first spell he got in Coldharbour (with one morph now). It syphons 30% health from the enemy and gives it to the Player at 25% (after morph it ups to 33% healing on Player or you can choose to still heal at 25% and also heal your Allies).

That is usually the only weapon he needs, but in case it isn't he uses Duel Wield; which from what I've seen has the best spells to make it the deadliest melee attack in game.

** A side note: I haven't scoped all the spells available for every weapon in game yet; but my Templar has used a great spell for the bow that poisons the arrows and morphed is extremely deadly. She also has used a couple decent spells for two-handed weapons; making her a very versatile melee fighter as well as having her Templar combat magic.

#2 = The Templar - 2nd most powerful in combat.

She went into level 10-12 dungeons at level 7 and survived and even completed some very tough quests at those levels, though not without dying several times. She is very good in combat, but not as good as the Nightblade.

# Last so far = The Sorcerer. So far the Sorcerer is the weakest character I've had in combat. She is at level 6; her spells are at level 11 and she still can't beat enemies at her own level - or even some at lower levels than she is.

In writing, her spells look to be extremely powerful, but the enemies seem to take little or no damage from them at all! (sort of like the Experimental Fat Man in Fallout 3 that shot out 8 mini-nukes at once - but everyone was still walking in full health when the explosions cleared).

The Sorcerer's spells look spectacular visually when cast (though they are very slow to cast compared to the Templar or Nightblade); but they use a ton of magicka, meaning that after shooting off two spells her combat ends up being melee rather than sorcery - go figure!) - but the spells just don't seem to do the damage to the enemy that their stat numbers state should be happening.

I deliberately chose a High Elf for the Sorcerer because they start out with 10% more base Magicka and 9% more base magicka regeneration.

** (based on this ESO Race Guide):

http://elderscrollsonline.info/races

The familiars at this early level do minimal damage (32 DR against enemies that are doing 392 DR).

You really have to wear light armor or a robe to regenerate magicka properly, which leaves you virtually unprotected; so even if you sink all your level points into magicka to be able to cast more spells before running out, you will die anyway because your health base level is so low.

Which means you also have to sink skill points into armor and melee fighting skills; which negates the whole reason you chose to be a sorcerer (I would think).

I'm really disappointed in the Sorcerer when compared to and after the Templar and Nightblade; but I have seen so many people with Sorcerers (you can tell by the familiars they travel with); and I can't imagine they would be so popular if they couldn't own a dungeon even at their own level.

So really just not sure what is not working about my Sorcerer, but I'm all but at the point of dumping her off in the bank to use for storage and test out the Aldmeri with a Dragon Knight instead, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 5 2015, 10:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jul 5 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #115

Mouth
Group Icon

I know what you mean about the sorcerer. It doesn't seem to pack the punch the other classes do. If Haa-Rei didn't have his summoned creatures he'd never have made it this far, and even then he has a bow and medium armor for combat. A pure mage build would be tricky. It wasn't an issue at lower levels, but he's at Veteran 4 now and he can't do public dungeons or group levels at all.

It wasn't too noticeable until I brought Trivea into ESO,. It was immediately obvious that her Nightblade skills were powerful, and once she levels up and morphs them I wouldn't be surprised if she can solo most things.

Weapons also play a huge part in things of course.

Bows and dual-wielding seem to dish out a nice amount of damage, and the latter also has a good speed.

I've found one handed & shield to be a bit disappointing - it does less damage than two handed weapons, but doesn't make up for it with speed like dual wielding does. The shield also doesn't block much damage so it's just dead weight.

Restoration staff is good for a mage, since heavy attacks refill your magicka, and they seem to do a fair amount of damage. The healing spells are a bit weak (at least in my experience) and would only really come in handy in a PvP support role.

I used a destruction staff once, for about 10 minutes, and it felt quite powerful. However it was ponderously slow to do heavy attacks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 5 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #116

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jul 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

I know what you mean about the sorcerer. It doesn't seem to pack the punch the other classes do. If Haa-Rei didn't have his summoned creatures he'd never have made it this far, and even then he has a bow and medium armor for combat. A pure mage build would be tricky. It wasn't an issue at lower levels, but he's at Veteran 4 now and he can't do public dungeons or group levels at all.

It wasn't too noticeable until I brought Trivea into ESO,. It was immediately obvious that her Nightblade skills were powerful, and once she levels up and morphs them I wouldn't be surprised if she can solo most things.

Weapons also play a huge part in things of course.

Bows and dual-wielding seem to dish out a nice amount of damage, and the latter also has a good speed.

I've found one handed & shield to be a bit disappointing - it does less damage than two handed weapons, but doesn't make up for it with speed like dual wielding does. The shield also doesn't block much damage so it's just dead weight.

Restoration staff is good for a mage, since heavy attacks refill your magicka, and they seem to do a fair amount of damage. The healing spells are a bit weak (at least in my experience) and would only really come in handy in a PvP support role.

I used a destruction staff once, for about 10 minutes, and it felt quite powerful. However it was ponderously slow to do heavy attacks.

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me on the Sorcerer thing. If I had played it first I may not have loved the game. Really glad I tried the others out first.

By the way, in game I noticed a lot of beggars asking for money when you pass, and in Davon's Watch at the gate from Bal Foyen a woman trying to save her husband asks for your help - I've stopped to talk to them to see if there was a way to help them and nothing showed in dialogue at all for either situation.

But today I happened to see there is an achievement for giving coins to beggars - Huh? How do we do it, if not through dialogue?

Do you know?

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jul 6 2015, 12:22 AM
Post #117

Mouth
Group Icon

i'm pretty sure i've given coin to beggars before just through dialogue, but i can't remember where. They're certainly not as common as they are in Oblivion and Skyrim.

This post has been edited by hazmick: Jul 6 2015, 12:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 6 2015, 12:28 AM
Post #118

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jul 5 2015, 07:22 PM) *

i'm pretty sure i've given coin to beggars before just through dialogue, but i can't remember where. They're certainly not as common as they are in Oblivion and Skyrim.

But how did you give them the coin? Did you get a dialogue to? Because talking to them isn't bringing up any dialogue to give them a coin for me. verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 6 2015, 12:44 AM
Post #119

Councilor
Group Icon

Darnand is a pure mage, and he has indeed been a bit tricky. There is a huge learning curve with all of the abilities, equipment enchantments, equipment traits, and elemental effects that are available to build your character, and many of them are designed to fill a group-role need rather than serve the solo player.

Darnand needs space and magicka to win fights, since he has only light armor and no melee skills. So I’ve put his points mostly into magicka with only two so far into health and none in stamina. He needs to control the battlefield and not waste magicka or get hit, so his flavor of sorcerer is all about precision. He uses his familiar to distract while he attacks, since they’re sturdy but don’t deal much damage. (Although Darnand’s clannfear Duchess occasionally gets the killing blow in with her tail whip. happy.gif)

Some of the Sorcerer abilities are useless unless they’re put to their specialized purpose. For example if you use Mage’s Fury (the first shock spell in the Storm Calling line) on an enemy with full health, you use up a bunch of magicka and do very little damage. However if you hit an enemy with it when they have low health it triggers an explosion that can sometimes kill nearby enemies as well as the target. In Stros M’Kai Darnand was getting ripped to shreds by the wolves. He would get in a fight with two who would then howl and call three more. Then he learned to use his Shards spell from the Dark Magic line on one wolf and then hit the same wolf with Mage’s Fury as soon as they called their buddies. The resulting explosion would kill all of the wolves.

His weapon is of course a staff. That lets him keep fighting when his magicka runs out, but now with only one weapon skill bar it’s difficult to manage. Once he gets his second bar he can switch from a Destruction staff to a Restoration staff depending on the tide of the battle. The Restoration staff abilities are still a little unclear to me. At this point they seem designed for a mage in a support position and too weak to use solo. The Destruction staff abilities are neat. Darnand likes fire for the knockback/down effect. When he’s facing a group he can keep one knocked down, let Duchess the clannfear distract another, and then kill the closest one to him as fast as possible before they get in his face.

Darnand has not yet had to face multiple archers. He is going to need to find some kind of shield ability for that, hopefully a passive that he won’t have to cast.

So anyway I guess my point is that there are far too many variables in what the game provides as well as the ways I’m playing my different characters for me to compare the classes, but so far each class has had tools that pair well together with other class skills and with skills from the weapon lines to support solo play.

My biggest disappointment has been One-handed and Shield. It feels very much like a tank-only line, which makes it hard for Jerric to kill anything big by himself with a one-handed sword. He can do it, but it’s frustrating to spend ages wearing away half of the health bar only to have some Dragonknight kill it with one hit while they’re running by. As a result I’m putting a big focus on Stamina (points, enchantments, food, the works) to see if that helps. He’s been wearing five heavy armor with one each light and medium to level them all while he decides. I think he may switch to five medium with one each light and heavy and see if that makes a big difference, other than him dying faster. laugh.gif

Regarding beggars, Jerric gave a coin to one and then can’t get dialog from any of the others. Does the Achievement look like it’s for coins in different areas, or is it the number of coins or beggars that you need?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 6 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #120

Ancient
Group Icon

Well heavy armor has the best protection; and if you can get it built up to 22 the Ultimate opens up and it creates a circle of shield around the Player that makes the player nearly indestructible. But a Mage's magic regeneration is thwarted by heavy armor.

Medium armor is great for sneaking, and has some passive perks you can purchase with skill points that help not just with the sneaking and detection, but with the regen of health and magicka too.

Bubba had very few fights with wolves in Stros M’Kai; although they were everywhere there. Usually if it was just one or two together, he could run past with or without sneaking and they would give an initial snarl and charge and then go back to the carcass they were gnawing on.

If they got close enough to snap his heels (and Bubba is not a fast runner), one spell cast from Bubba would send them yelping back to their den.

The ones that howl and call in the whole pack are the larger/tougher/more aggressive wolves and I think they are probably the pack leaders. Those will fight to the death, and usually take their pack down with them.

Bubba loved Stros M’Kai, and is hoping to go back there to fish along the beaches. I got several screens of him enjoying them and those gorgeous Sultanish style towns.

Okay, this is all I could find out about the beggar achievement:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/di...or-lightbringer

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:15 AM