Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Athynae Sarethi: The Making of a Princess, Entries from Athynae's childhood journals
McBadgere
post Feb 6 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Dunno if it's just what's been happening in RL at the mo, but this story scared the hell out of me...I know it's a brilliantly well written story...And most normal people wouldn't write the bad that could have happened...But that was genuinely scary...

Funny as hell though... laugh.gif ...

Loved it... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one!!... biggrin.gif ...

*Applauds heartily*...

And nice one to BH for the start bit too...See, told you he was nice... tongue.gif ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 6 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

Since McB mentioned how scary this piece was, and my youngest son has had some major issues with bullies this year, the thought of what might have happened could be scary. But I will dedicate this one to all of those who dealt with bullies and would have either LOVED to have done this or the ones that actually DID it to tame the beasts....they are just a bunch of a-holes that need to get their teeth kicked in a couple times.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
Fawkes
post Feb 6 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #23

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Athynae @ Feb 6 2012, 06:55 AM) *

Since McB mentioned how scary this piece was, and my youngest son has had some major issues with bullies this year, the thought of what might have happened could be scary. But I will dedicate this one to all of those who dealt with bullies and would have either LOVED to have done this or the ones that actually DID it to tame the beasts....they are just a bunch of a-holes that need to get their teeth kicked in a couple times.

Awwww <3, Thank you biggrin.gif

I would have LOVED to punch their faces to a pulp, not that the bullied me though, they did bully other kids. And ever time that I saw it, it made my blood boil, I would have done so much more than kick their teeth ph34r.gif , I am a dragon ninja after all biggrin.gif

--------------------
Jericho the "hero"

"The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom"-Nyx
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 6 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #24

Knower
Group Icon

Yes, I know how it is. I was the new kid at school almost every year until 9th grade because my Dad was in construction...it wasn't always pleasant. I finally about the age of 9 learned how to hold my own but rather than do it the way Thyna did, I went covert...they didn't know it was me until I got them all...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 7 2012, 01:18 AM
Post #25

Paladin
Group Icon

What fun to read! Little Athynae is adorable – and clearly demonstrates how long she’s had her temper. Eeep! Vengeance, was hers however. I really enjoy having Seth and Athlain drifting in and out of this – as they should. I’m looking forward to perhaps a scene with little ‘Thyna and her dear mother, Selene.

’She gave him a mischievous little smile as she said quietly: "I didn't say I gave up." and took the necklace.
He stood up and smiled. "I think you learned this lesson a little TOO well."
laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 7 2012, 03:15 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Well- cannot let THIS one go by:

She gave him a mischievous little smile as she said quietly: "I didn't say I gave up." and took the necklace.

For the rest- well, I would pretty much have to quote all of it. The main thing is the sense of "place" that comes through in the metaphors and descriptions. It bring us right there, in the midst of that dusty cluster of boulders, taking on long odds- because it is the right thing to do.

And how interesting that Athynae is finally driven to action- not by something done to her- but because of the mistreatment of her friends. Interesting- but not surprising.

Each of these windows into her earlier life tells us that much more about how she became the person she is.

Wonderfully done!

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 8 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #27

Wise Woman
Group Icon

"Oh Thyna! You didn't think I knew about that incident with those boys, right? You din't think I actually found out? Well I did, but....since you handled it so well, I chose not to say anything or even interfere!"

This is SOOO fun to read! I do have a record of the little Princess her first 4-4,5 years but after that....she's all yours! And this start of her own story is purely amazing! I love every word of it... goodjob.gif rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 8 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #28

Knower
Group Icon

Mother? Why wouldn't you say something? I, um, well, I was just protecting Mae and Cai and, and, well, it was about time they got what was comin'! Hateful, good-for-nothins!

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 8 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #29

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Athynae @ Feb 8 2012, 10:08 PM) *

Mother? Why wouldn't you say something? I, um, well, I was just protecting Mae and Cai and, and, well, it was about time they got what was comin'! Hateful, good-for-nothins!

"Why of course Sweetie! And you did show them who's in charge, right? And you didn't get that much hurt either...so. But remember one thing my precious....YOU were the first...YOU were the first child born after the Blight, on Vvardenfell, that...give you some powers that you may not be aware of...yet!"

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 9 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

S:"She just tricked you, I hope you realize. Most things she says she knows; she's acting off of intuition and simply confirming by saying she knew. Oh yes, you may have certain inherit abilities."
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 9 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #31

Knower
Group Icon

Are you sure Uncle Seth? Because there are some things she really shouldn't know....see I told you keeping the journals was a bad idea....

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 9 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #32

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Feb 9 2012, 12:39 AM) *

S:"She just tricked you, I hope you realize. Most things she says she knows; she's acting off of intuition and simply confirming by saying she knew. Oh yes, you may have certain inherit abilities."

SS: "Well Seth, that's what you think...hmmm you may not be completely wrong here!"

SS: Thyna! Don't believe everything Uncle Seth tells you, he might not be totally neutral when it comes to you dear!"

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 10 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #33

Knower
Group Icon

I have always been a bit of my own person, if I don't think something someone says is in line with what I want to do I just kind of log it in for later...may not always be the best thing but it is sure teaching me a lot of valuable lessons like maybe I should listen and heed more advice than I do.

I always had the feeling you knew far more than you let on, now I know the reason for some of that. It wasn't that you necessarily 'knew' what it was just that telepathy that said "something bad is getting ready to happen" kind of like me with Athlain. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 18 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #34

Knower
Group Icon

@mALX- She is quite the temperamental little girl and woman, that will never change I am afraid. It's a good thing that Athlain loves her because he certainly has times when he doesn't particularly like her….Glad you are enjoying the peek into the younger Thyna.

@Fawkes- Laughter is the best medicine my friend, I do hope that the majority of these have a good dose of humor. Though I am sure there will be a handful that are a little less funny just because life isn't always funny, but Thyna can turn even the most mundane into something a bit bigger…

I totally understand about seeing the other kids get picked on too, it just makes my blood boil and my eldest son experienced it for several years until he finally defended himself and fixed it. Now my youngest son is having the same issues. He'll take it for a little while longer I am afraid but when he does strike back it will definitely make an impression…

I am so so glad you are here…thank you!

@McB- As I said earlier in the thread I do understand that there are elements here that have been experienced since the beginning of time; there is always someone who seeks to make themselves look bigger by making others look smaller, it stinks but it's so true. I know first hand what that is like having been on the receiving end more than once but the first time was the worst. Being the new kid in school almost every year from 2nd grade to 9th certainly didn't help….BUT I would far prefer, in this case, that you see the humor AND the satisfaction in bringing them down a notch or two….

@Acadian- There will be appearances of many of the people that you know and some that you haven't really met yet. Stay tuned… AND the quote you picked probably defines Thyna better than any ONE I can think of, THANK YOU BLACK HAND!!!!!!!! FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION!!!!!!!!!!

@treydog-and there it is again, the defining quote….I am elated that you are enjoying the peek into Thyna's youth- even more elated that you are such an integral part of the creation of it. THANK YOU!!!

@minque- As ever I am thrilled beyond words that you are here, that I see Thyna the way you envisioned her. I will strive to mold her into the person that would come from Serene and Athyn Sarethi with a huge dose of Sethyas Velas stirred in….or some mix of that….I hope you enjoy the next one….

@Black Hand-So glad you enjoyed that one, or my part of it. Yes, she does seem to have her own take on 'expressions' I am sure that trend will continue to some extent.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! For your contribution to this piece, without your part Thyna's part would not have been possible. EVER GRATEFUL for all that you have given to Thyna AND for allowing me such freedom with the one and only Seth….

@Mother and Uncle Seth- "Thank you for not saying anything even if you knew about some of these things because if you had it would have probably slowed me down or changed me and I kind of like the way I am.

Uncle Seth, I didn't tell you for that reason; I wanted to take care of it just like you took care of the people you love. I was just doing what you and Mother and Father taught me to do.
[/size]

This post has been edited by Athynae: Feb 18 2012, 06:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 18 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #35

Knower
Group Icon

Thyna at around the age of 7...enjoy

"And why is Her Highness sitting in her room in the middle of the day? Hhmm? She must not be feeling well. I guess I'll just have to leave her to rest. I'll see her in a few weeks when the council reconvenes." The familiar voice carried to the top of the stairs.

"No! Uncle Seth, wait! I'm not sick; I got in trouble. Please don't leave." I hated being restricted to my room. Of course, I usually asked for it, though I would never admit that to anyone, not even my Uncle Seth, and I told him almost everything.

Seth's frame darkened the doorway dressed in his official council robes. Guess they needed his vote or something. That thought was followed by the happiness that he was here; reasons didn't matter.

"What could you have possibly done this time little one? Surely you are close to running out of things that get you in trouble." He looked at me with the expression, a combination of censure and understanding that I had become far too familiar with. "From what your Mother shared am I to understand you REFUSED to do some arithmetic for the tutor?" His voice did not carry the same censure that his expression did and so I felt at ease enough to try to explain without being guilty before the trial.

"Well, yes, sort of, I mean, yes Uncle Seth, I did." I stammered.

"And why pray tell would you do such a thing?" He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head sideways, the look that said 'You didn't quite think that one through, did you?' Seth leaned against the mantel and crossed his arms waiting for my explanation.

I slouched and dropped my head, "Because it is stupid." I pouted. "I already know how to add numbers."

"Ah, well that lets me off the hook then." And he straightened and brushed his hands together as if he had finished a task. "And here I thought I was going to have to keep teaching you about weapons and fighting forever. But since you already know how to use a blade and shoot a bow I don't need to teach you anything else because it is stupid. That's one burden I need not be concerned about any…"

"No! You can keep learning new stuff about swords and bows and fighting. That's not stupid." I had drawn myself up and was once again taking a stand for my position that repeating simple mathematical calculations was stupid. Learning about weapons and fighting was NEVER stupid. "I know all about adding numbers, why do I need to practice?"

"So, you know all there is to know about numbers then?" He feigned a look of awe.

"No, I did not say that. I said I know all about adding numbers. I have more to learn about numbers, just not about adding them."

"So, if I asked you to show me, would that be stupid?"

"No, because you always make me prove to you that I know what I say I know," I said with a shrug; it was just the way it had always been. He said it kept me from telling anyone I knew how to do something I didn't know how to do. The frustration was that he should KNOW by now that I would not do that because if it got to Uncle Seth I would have to PROVE it, never a good thing if I didn't know. I learned that early on.

"Yes I do because it isn't enough to say you know something, you have to be able to show that you know." How many times had I heard him say that? He is not so old that he forgets telling me that over and over and over.

"What do you want me to show you Uncle Seth?" I knew what the answer was going to be but I figured it was worth a try just in case he wanted to see me do the new hand flip I had learned with my dagger.

"I would like to see those arithmetic problems you did not want to do." Yep, that's it; I knew it.

"Why? Are you going to do them for me?" I asked, acting a bit too excited; he knew I was teasing.

"I can't do math." His voice held no emotion and he looked so serious I almost believed him until I saw the telltale twinkle that said 'gotcha'. And he laughed. "I would like to see what you have."

"All of them?" Now that was just a bit much just to prove I knew how to add two numbers together. I could do them all in my head.

"Yes, why not?" He was acting like it was no big deal but it was, I was making a stand on this because it was stupid.

"I have to do the whole thing just to prove to you that I know what I say I know?" I didn't like that idea at all; it was the point. I had to show him I was determined like I had shown Mother; she just didn't appreciate it like Uncle Seth did. I knew I would still end up doing the work, well, that was a given from the start. But I would fight my battle nonetheless, otherwise they would think something was wrong with me.

"Do you recall over the summer when Baria asked Athlain to clear the scathcraw patch- so she could expand her garden? Remember how long it took him? He started at the ends of the branches so he would not get skewered by the thorns. Do you remember what you told me?"

"Uh huh, he was being silly. He wasn't thinking good. He could have done it different and it wouldn't have taken him so long. If he wore leather armor he could just go cut them at the roots. Or he could have used a flare spell and burned them up; it would have taken a few castings but he woulda been done in a day. Or- or- he could have let the guar loose and they woulda eat it up and stomped the rest of it down."

"So, by doing it the way he did he avoided a lot of pain, he didn't have to learn a new spell that takes lots of practice to get right or the time it would have taken the guar to finish the work. What he also did was complete the job in that time. If he had used the flare spell he would have still had to clean up the debris and if he had used the guar he would still have needed to get rid of the larger branches AND watched where he stepped in the process."

I really hated it when he did that, made my really good ideas into not so good ideas. "But it took him three days!" It was the best I could come up with.

"Ok, it took him three days, and how long have you been arguing with Serene about your numbers? And what have you gotten for your efforts?" Now he was getting to his point; I could tell by his eyes and the way the ends of his mouth turned up just a tiny bit.

"Two days. I got sent to my room until I do them." I stuck out my bottom lip; it just wasn't right. "But Uncle Seth, it's STUPID!" and that came out as a whine. "I know there are far more important things I need to learn!" I threw that in just to distract him, but it didn't work.

Now his eyes were smiling; here it comes. "So is doing more work than you have to- when it would be SMARTER to do what seems 'stupid'." He waited while his words wafted in the empty space between us. "There are times when you must fight and times when you must NOT, and little one you have to know the difference."

"But if I say something, don't I have to stick to it?" This was something Father and Mother had always told me.

"Well yes, but you should think before you speak because in this case you chose words that backed you into a corner. Refusing to do the work was a mistake because it was a fight you could not win, even if you never did your numbers."

"I don't want to lose; I want to win." And I did know that sometimes you needed to retreat and reassess before the next attack.

"So you win this war by maneuver. Do you always attack with a blade?" Now came the good stuff; he was talking about weapons now.

Smiling I said, "No, sometimes you block with it." I was good at this too, almost as good as I was with numbers.

"And how do you avoid being hit?" His expression was more serious now, there was more to this lesson…

I hesitated a moment "Sometimes I block with my katana, sometimes I pull my dagger and use it and sometimes…"

"SOMETIMES, Your Highness, you back up. This is one of those times." And there it was, using my favorite subject to make his point. There should be a rule against that; he did it all the time.

"BUT UNCLE SETH" I stomped my foot on the floor.

"Look, I am not going to take sides in this between you and Serene; your being right or wrong is not the most important lesson here. You have to think things through before you start a battle. Serene is your mother therefore she holds the 'Staff of Correctness,' which means she wins. One touch with the staff and poof- the Princess is in her room until she concedes or …."

"That is NOT fair." I did not like these lessons. It was even worse when he was right and I was the one that did something stupid. Which, unfortunately seemed to happen more often than not.

"I don't believe anyone has ever told you life was fair, little one. Now, I will ask a price from you for the teaching." He looked at me with his head bent like he was waiting for me to accept his price.

"My allowance is in my desk." I furrowed my brow and started toward my desk.

"No, Princess, not money, a bargain."

Uh oh, this can't be good. "A bargain? Like I give you something I have for what you taught me?"

"Sort of. I want you to do something for me. I want you to go an entire week without using the word 'stupid'."

"And why would I want to do that, Uncle Seth? How am I supposed to tell someone something is stupid if I can't say 'stupid'? That's just mean. You are being mean."

"And so are you." His mouth made a hard line.

"What am I supposed to say if something IS stupid?" I put my hands on my hips and leaned toward him. I really wanted to know. This was an important word; did he not understand that?

"Do you think the lesson I taught you was valuable? And will it save you time and trouble in the future?" He looked like the dealers in the market when they were trying to get more money for a bauble than it was worth.

"Yes, sera." It was the right answer but I did not like it.

"So we have a deal then?" He put his hand out for me to shake on it. I just stood there and looked at him, gritting my teeth trying to think of a way out of this. "Athynae? I do not teach you anything without exacting payment, whether it is the promise of practice time or making sure you do your chores, or teaching you why it is not a good idea to try to match stubborn with your mother."

"Fine!" and I shook his hand. "I may not talk at all." And I made my best angry face.

"As you wish." And he shrugged his shoulders.

"Sometimes Uncle Seth, you are so mean." I was definitely pouting but I still held one more card.

"Did I hear someone say something?" And he looked around acting like he didn't know it was me.

I stepped to my desk and picked up the parchment. "Here." And I passed it to him. He looked down at the completed pages of equations. He looked at me, shook his head and smiled, then crouched down and hugged me.

"You are and shall ever be Her Highness Princess of Trouble." And he laughed while I was trying to figure out how I was going to survive a week without saying "stupid". I was definitely going to need to avoid some people.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 18 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

BUT I would far prefer, in this case, that you see the humor AND the satisfaction in bringing them down a notch or two

Yes...And today, I would have...

But aamywho!!...

Most excellent chapter...I laughed muchly...Poutyness is hilarious... laugh.gif ...

I really enjoy the way she is being taught all this stuff by Seth...You really are painting him brilliantly...

So much to quote that I loved absolutely...So I shan't quote any... tongue.gif ...

Absolutely brilliant...

Nice one!!... biggrin.gif ...

*Applauds most heartily*...
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 19 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

What a treat as we see more of Little Athynae! I got a wonderful laugh from the image of Serene with her Staff of Correctness!

Then there was this:
"Fine!" and I shook his hand. "I may not talk at all." And I made my best angry face.’
Oh my goodness. It is wonderful to see the origin begins as early as seven years of age. Knowing the later path of Athynae, I long ago wrote the below piece.

~ Ode to the F word ~

When used by a woman, as the last word,
it can make any man feel quite absurd.
Coming from the love of his life,
such a word can cut like a knife.

More effective than a cry or a pout,
its results can surpass those of a shout.
Here is a hint, known well to old trey,
that comes from our very own dear Athynae:

Some women, when piqued might declare, "By the Nine!"
A proper young lady simply glares and says, "Fine!"

tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Feb 19 2012, 01:41 AM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 19 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #38

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Here we go again! Her Highness in full bloom! I can just see her...."arguing" with Seth, who by the way you are picturing like I do, or at least it seems so to me. You describe his more "human" side, the side he shows Serene sometimes when he's not annoyed with her for poking around in his mind tongue.gif

I enjoyed this so very much, how she made a little fun of poor sweet Athlain's way of doing things! Hilarious it was!

I will pm you a little something you can use in a future post...IF you want to that is!

SS: "Well Thyna, I guess I should be thankful that you at least listen to your Uncle Seth...otherwise ...well I don't know"

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 19 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

I am absolutely loving these incites into the Seth behind the assassin we come to know in his memoirs !!! There is a depth to him that is touched on in his dealings with his own story, but in this we see a side of him he doesn't show many - Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 19 2012, 03:45 AM
Post #40

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 19 2012, 03:29 AM) *

I am absolutely loving these incites into the Seth behind the assassin we come to know in his memoirs !!! There is a depth to him that is touched on in his dealings with his own story, but in this we see a side of him he doesn't show many - Awesome Write !!

Yes! And I'm sure not even Blackie realised that his hero would be so famous in other stories ..when he created him!
But that's the THING! You create a man according to your likes and fantasy...then others interpret him differently, finds or maybe invents other sides of him...

I love the way Athynae is interpreted here ..AND Seth! because it fits so well with my "universe"

S.G.M

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:49 PM