Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dragon Age 2, Review from me and Discussion.
Ahrenil
post Mar 13 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Agent

Now, i'm not sure how many people here have played, are planning to play, or simply are interested in Dragon Age 2, but after getting it the other week and enjoying it immensely I feel like sharing some of my thoughts and feelings.

So what is Dragon Age 2? It's a sequel to Dragon Age:Origins, but instead of taking your character across as we have seen with other bioware games it instead throws us into a whole new story, and it's the lore that is mostly affected by your load. Unfortunately due to Bioware's decision to not recognise my DLC about 2 years after I had isntalled and completed the game with it I could not load my origins character, however the presets offered to you at the start seemed acceptable, though definately not all inclusive.

Plotwise the story is very well told, literally. The interesting twist we find is that the the story is being told by a dwarf named Varric, at an unknown point in the future. Varric is a general smart boat, a lovable one none the less, and is being interrogated as to the story of our character by a member of the Chantry, the slightly fanatical church. The story he is telling is that of ____ Hawke, the first name is optional, a refugee from Ferelden (The land from the first game) who rises to the position of Champion of Kirkwall, and apparently messes with some very important people. The tale is yours to tell as you play, but the interesting little cut scenes where we see Varric giving an overview still make it seem fresh and interesting.

Another interesting point is that the game takes place in several stages over a number of years, this means that decisions you make early on can come back and bite you in the boat later on. Not to give out too many spoilers but you find yourself helping out characters early on, who can either make you regret it, or ease your path later on.

As for your companions? I found them a mixed bunch. You have your general damage dealers, your tanks and your healers. But as for their personalities there are some you will really care for, some who will really annoy you to no end, and some who will just down right not interest you. To give examples of these two of my party were Varric and Merril, yes the dwarf from the interrogation and an Elf Mage sent from her clan to aid you. Varrics story is kinda bland I found, though still having the points of conflict and redemption, where your eally have to battle to decide the right course of action, but the banter he comes up with just as you wander around is some of the best i've heard. Merril on the other hand, comes out with some good lines though does remain a bit bland, has the deepest, darkest storyline that made me want to make her some hot chocolate and just give her a hug. Meanwhile Fenris, an ex-slave, is your generic emo elf...That's the longest description I can think of.

Gameplay wise we see some innovation, some refinement, and some steps backwards from my point of view. Innovation wise we find cross class combos, which are both great and frustrating. Each class type has an effect they can produce on their target, warriors stun, rogues disorientate, and mages turn foes brittle. And each class has moves that are better, dealing terrible damage against your foes when used on enemies under these effects...but only other class' effects. While this does make it important to work as a team and use every character to their full, I really wanted to see a brutal chain of attacks from my warrior. Where he could shield bash an enemy, stun them, and then open up with a devastating flurry of blows or a massive strike. Instead I have to chose a mage and shock him or a rogue to unleash my flurry, which can be annoying when they're busy with their own little fights.

What else we find is interesting in another manner. Our character's decisions in conversation change with our characters. In Dragon Age 2 we see Mass Effect's converastion wheel turn up, on the left are you options to investigate while on the right you have 3 defaults. The top will be your heroic or paragon choice, the middle will be comedic or non-commital, and the bottom will be dark or renegade. However the game tracks your use of these, and the character's normal dialogue becomes flavoured with it. My comedic hero, was comforting to people in his speech, but also constantly joked around with others.

In these conversations the characters you have with you also affect the decisions, not just with the approval or dissaproving moral compass statements, but one of the early examples if you can get your sister, a mage, to take down a group of enemies charging at you just through asking her too, later on I avoided a fight because one of my characters was intimidating as hell and just scared the man into doing what I wanted.

The game does not hold the same scope as I would like, but it makes sense in the long run. It takes place largely in the city of Kirkwall and the immediate surrounding area. Kirkwall, which is split into 3 districts that can then be visited in nightime or daytime to activate or partake in different quests, is a maze of grey buildings and slightly less run down grey buildings, as well as some underground grey buildings, while the wounded coast is a set of cliffs by the sea. I would like to say these areas change as your story progressed, showing your impact on them, but they don't. However since the story is set around your rise to fame or infamy as the Champion of Kirkwall this is a perfectly fine way to go about making us care about the place. After playing through it for a while you learn the streets and the areas, it begins to feel like home.

Overall I loved this game, it interested me and kept me hooked while I played, and it looks stunning at points. The combat is interesting, and it's fun to swap your characters around and just develop styles of play, though I quickly found myself attached to one group. The story as well keeps you gripped, with tantalising hints as to what happens in the future during the interrogation cut scenes, and little hints as to what might come in the gameplay as well. Overall i'd rate this game pretty high, but unless you have the patience to play it through to the full, doing all the little side quests, following every lead and hunting every treasure, I doubt you'll get your moneys worth. It's not a game to rush through. And I expect once you've played through it once, it will take some time before you can take that journey again, I doubt it is massively replayable.

Anyway. Anyone agree? Disagree? Want to know more?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 14 2011, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I played Dragon Age Origins through around three times and finally got bored. I did play through every origin though and thought it was the best feature of the game, each character is different depending on your class, background, and race. I thought it was extremely well done and it disappoints me that they made you a generic human in DA2.

I'd still like to play DA2 but it sounds like they made a few changes I'm not sure if I'll like or not. Either way the local rental place only bought one copy, the guy at the store said whoever is ordering these games is a moron...they ordered three copies of "De Blob 2" and only one copy of DA2. huh.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Mar 14 2011, 07:25 AM
Post #3

Evoker

Gameplay is ridiculously improved but narrative is a little lacking, especially compared to the first one. I enjoy physically sitting down and playing it more than Origins, but the overall experience isn't as solid. Still a very good game and if we could just combine each of the strong aspects from Origins and this one into the eventual DA3, we would see a phenomenal result.

This post has been edited by RagingMudcrab: Mar 14 2011, 07:27 AM

--------------------
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live." -Ayn Rand

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 14 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(RagingMudcrab @ Mar 14 2011, 01:25 AM) *

Gameplay is ridiculously improved...

Now I might be interested in this game. I really did not like assigning an action and watching the computer do it. It got very boring very quickly. I almost didn't play DA beyond the first mission until one of my friends that played WoW showed me what I needed to do.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Mar 14 2011, 11:00 PM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
RagingMudcrab
post Mar 15 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #5

Evoker

Well, at least if you play it on the console, or if you're not a fan of the MMO style of auto-attacking once you've selected a target. I'm not anyway, so it was all good for me. It's less tactical, but I'm okay with that. You can still set tactics for all your party members and yourself when you're not playing as your Hawke. Plus, the PC version is tweaked slightly to make it feel more right on that system. Overall though, it's a port of a console game.

--------------------
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live." -Ayn Rand

The Great Gate Gazette
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Apr 12 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Right, for PC users, the newest patch has just been released, which seems to fix many of the ridiculous bugs that had existed - although reports are that you may need to start a new game, rather than reload a corrupted save. Hopefully I won't end up with a character moving in slow motion this time...

Console owners have to wait a week or so it seems until Sony/Microsoft approve the patch.

p.s. Importing a saved game from Awakenings is still messed up though, so load an Origins save game if you want continuity.
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 19 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

This game,is horrrrrrrrrrrible and a MASSIVE disapointment to any DA:O fans and I can only pray that DA:3 is more like Origins rather than 2.

2 was SO linear it was sickening you HAVE to be a human AND HAVE to have that humans story!

So my final words,horrible.

3/10

This post has been edited by ImperialSnob: Jul 19 2013, 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 19 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 19 2013, 10:58 AM) *

This game,is horrrrrrrrrrrible and a MASSIVE disapointment to any DA:O fans and I can only pray that DA:3 is more like Origins rather than 2.

2 was SO linear it was sickening you HAVE to be a human AND HAVE to have that humans story!

3/10

I pretty much agree. You can literally beat the entire game smashing the attack button and walking. sad.gif

I bought it cheap on sale and was disappointed to find the exact things you mentioned. Also, your decisions don't make much difference in the scheme of things when it comes to the story and my Origins profile wouldn't load correctly so I had to get the default preset backstories for DA:O.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Jul 19 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 19 2013, 11:58 AM) *

3/10

I disagree completely.
As a fan of DAO, I found the sequel to be a brave change of scene and paradigm, an engrossing story and a very movie-esque gameplay experience.
I loved it, and have recently been replaying it.

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 20 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Jul 19 2013, 11:44 PM) *

3/10

I disagree completely.
As a fan of DAO, I found the sequel to be a brave change of scene and paradigm, an engrossing story and a very movie-esque gameplay experience.

"movie-esque",there's your problem.

This game is sickenly linear and makes me hope with all my heart that DA3 isn't as linear as 2.
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Jul 20 2013, 10:09 AM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 20 2013, 09:12 AM) *

3/10

I disagree completely.

This game is sickenly linear and makes me hope with all my heart that DA3 isn't as linear as 2.

/shrug
I'll enjoy it either way.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 20 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #12

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Jul 20 2013, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 20 2013, 09:12 AM) *

3/10

I disagree completely.

/shrug
I'll enjoy it either way.

Well I really did enjoy it as well but the overuse of the exact same dungeons drove me nuts, as did being forced to play as a human. I played through it several times and nothing you ever did had a major effect on the story. That was my biggest letdown. Origins gave you lots of options that changed the ending drastically. DA2 didn't give you many options at all IMO. I will admit though that the game did feel much more cinematic.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 20 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

The party members weren't nearly as intresting as Origins.
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Jul 20 2013, 02:52 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 20 2013, 12:46 PM) *

I think that depends upon how you play them...

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 20 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Jul 20 2013, 02:52 PM) *

I don't know what you mean,I'm talking about their charcters.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 21 2013, 12:33 AM
Post #16

Forum Bard
Group Icon

There is a noticeably smaller amount of dialogue in DA2 than in Origins for sure when it comes to companions.

--------------------
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Jul 21 2013, 03:14 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 20 2013, 04:06 PM) *

So am I.
Yeah there was less dialogue, but I felt it worked very well in context, besides I just add my own - is what I meant.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 21 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Jul 21 2013, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 20 2013, 04:06 PM) *

So am I.
Yeah there was less dialogue, but I felt it worked very well in context, besides I just add my own - is what I meant.

Although I myself do that when I'm RPing in some games,it's pretty bad if you have to do it because there isn't enough dialouge,because not everyone RPs.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jul 22 2013, 01:21 AM
Post #19

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 21 2013, 07:59 AM) *

not everyone RPs.

But DA2 is a roleplaying game. Why would any sane human being buy a roleplaying game...and not roleplay? That makes zero sense to me. I see this attitude on the Bethesda forums too. Do these people who don't roleplay in roleplaying games also not engage in strategy when they play a strategy game? Do these people also buy a driving game and not drive?

I don't know, maybe there's a segment of the gaming population that mindlessly purchases every game that comes out. Maybe they have more money than they know what to do with. I don't know. It's a mystery to me.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Jul 22 2013, 01:22 AM
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 22 2013, 03:38 AM
Post #20

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I shouldn't have to "roleplay" dialogue from NPC's, there should be dialogue there to play off of.

DA:O had lots. Skyrim had lots. Those are good games that give you lots to play off of. DA2, while fun, lacks the amount of dialogue similar roleplaying games have.

Also, unfortunately, most people that buy RPG's now days are people who just want to hack/slash their way through the story until they hit the end. Then they move on.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:17 AM