13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seven, An Aela & Ungarion Prequel
ThatSkyrimGuy
post Jul 19 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #41

Finder
Group Icon

In Acadian's words, Magnificent the Fourth...indeed! Seridwe seems like an excellent addition to the troop. A formidible presence and aura to be sure. Aela's feelings about her own appearance come through again with her envy of the Altmer's hair. So...four down and three to go? wink.gif

On a side note, I couldn't help but think of you and this story the other night. TCM (that's Turner Classic Movies to the TV impaired) ran a bunch of movies with the word "Seven" in the title. Two of those movies were The Magnificent Seven and The Seven Samurai. I did not watch them, but I did DVR them for viewing when this story is done. cool.gif

--------------------
A Question of Fate is my Skyrim Fic
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 22 2013, 01:54 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

The new elf is most impressive. She certainly has a lot of magical gear about her person, more than anyone else we’ve met so far. The details on her armor were very neat and I liked it that not only could Aela sense what they do, but what they are named as well. I can’t wait to find out what her fascination with Aela is about as well. She saw through the changes Aela made to her body, but what about this interests her?

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 26 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #43

Ancient
Group Icon

haute ecole rider: Trump and Rubber are Whist game terms. I remember the first time I heard the second one during a Horatio Hornblower episode I had to look it up. That was how I figured out they were playing whist. It was a very popular game at one time (and how a young half-pay Lieutenant like Hornblower made ends meet between wars wink.gif).

Most Yokudans/Redguards could not create the spirit sword even back in the good old days. The Lore article on Redguards was very helpful when I was working on Nashira's background. Now a days it seems only a few masters can create the sword, and even then it is only for looks, and not strong enough to actually be useful in battle. In the old days it was certainly very serviceable though! My impression is that Yokuda was destroyed due to magic, and that is where the Redguard aversion to it came from. The Spirit Sword seems to have been exempted from that use (much like certain religions today call magic evil, and yet their own mythologies are filled with their holy people and deity using magic).

We will see more about Seridwe in the upcoming chapters, and learn whether or not she really is a parade ground soldier or the real deal. I could not work in examples of every one of the Seven in action like I did with Nashira. So Ungarion and Aela are hiring based upon their impressions from people's bearing and behavior (which do speak well of Seridwe). Of course we have never seen A&U in action yet either, so we do not have any proof that they can carry their weight either! laugh.gif

Acadian: Ungy is a very outgoing, social person, so as you observed, him being a card-player felt very natural to me. I imagine he has whiled away many hours playing whist and other games.

The ability to assense magic items was something we first saw that in the TF when Teresa was presented with Aldariel and instantly knew its name. Being a University educated mage, Aela is naturally much better at it. One thing that is nice to be writing from Aela's perspective is that as a trained and experienced mage, she can do and sense some things that Teresa never could. It allows me to show a whole new part of the world.

Grits: I was working on how to name a French Braid and make it feel appropriate to the world. I recall calling the in-game braid that frames the face a Breton Braid at one point. So I decided to make that one a Wayrest Braid, and then make the French Braid a Daggerfall Braid. Maybe we could invent some more racial/geographical hairstyles? Like the Bosmer topknot, or the Dunmer Cliffracer?

Seridwe's fascination with Aela is a means that I am going to use to explore not only transsexuality in Tamriel, but also how different races view it. At the same time it will give me a means to help flesh out both human and elven cultures, and reveal some very major differences between them.

ghastley: You are thinking of the two-handed swords in the game that are slow and unwieldy. Like all the weapons in the TF, mine are taken from the Real World, which are anything but clumsy. The longsword (which is the correct name from a greatsword - what the game calls a longsword is actually an arming sword) is the ultimate evolution of western swordmaking. It was used in pitched battles and single duels, and armored and unarmored fighting. The soldiers who wielded them in armies received extra pay as it was an elite weapon, like the Danish War Axe was an elite weapon used by Huscarls. Every part of the greatsword is a weapon, the pommel, the ricasso, etc..., and it could be used in ways that smaller blades could not (like reversing your grip and using the ricasso to hook someone's leg and trip them). Tadrose has always used a greatsword/longsword, and I have used RL longswording fighting techniques in writing her, such as morte-striking and half-swording.

ThatSkyrimGuy: We will be seeing more about Seridwe's hair and Aela's feelings. laugh.gif While all women feel self-conscious to one degree or another, Aela has reasons to feel even more so than most...

I would watch the movies first. That way you will be able to notice the homages when you read them. There are a few places where I took lines word for word from the movies (this episode has one in fact). It will take months for me to post this. By then you will probably only half-remember what you read in the earlier parts. Besides, they are both good films, don't wait!

King Coin: Actually Aela and Ungarion have a lot of magical stuff too. Their respective outfits, their staves, necklaces, rings, etc... After all, they can both make the stuff whenever they want. But Aela is so used to their magic items that it is not something she normally thinks about. So it is hard to reveal it without it feeling forced. The same is true of Do'Sakhar as well. She is so used to his magic items that she does not think of them either.

Previously On Seven: Our last episode introduced Seridwe, an Altmer archer/swordswoman who joined the team solely to work with Aela, whom she had recognized as an ardhanari (or transgendered person).

Chapter 1.5

Magnus hung like a red ball over the western mountains, bleeding long shadows across the parade ground north of Bravil's main gate. Aela and Ungarion followed Seridwe through the grass of the wide field. Behind them rose the wooden buildings of Bay Roan Stables. The Larsius River gurgled past on their right, and the stone curtain walls of the city rose up beyond the watercourse. Finally to their left the Green Road vanished into a wall of darkened trees.

"You are certain your friend shall be here?" Ungarion raised a single eyebrow as they walked on. "Usually mercenaries prefer less idyllic surroundings."

"He'll be here," Seridwe insisted. "Valens always watches the eastern horizon at dawn and dusk. This is the best place in all of Bravil to get a view."

"What is he looking for?" Aela asked, genuinely curious about the unusual quirk.

"I don't know," Seridwe shrugged. "He never talks much about it. I think it's got something to do with Azura though."

"Azura?" Ungarion now cocked a second eyebrow. "Now that is just begging for a deeper explanation."

"He is her Star-Bearer." Seridwe glanced back for a moment. "He has been since I've known him. At least I think."

"You think?" Aela wondered aloud.

"Things are a little fuzzy for me around the time of the Warp in the West," Seridwe admitted. "I cannot remember much of what happened for the month beforehand, and nothing from that day."

"That is strange," Aela mused. She had still been living in Wayrest at the time, so she had experienced the Warp herself. The tenth of Frostfall had somehow slipped through the cracks of reality. No one in High Rock or Hammerfell seemed to remember it. It was as if the day before and the day after had somehow warped into one another. All anyone - herself included - could remember were storms, tidal waves, earthquakes, and terrible battles all around Illiac Bay. But no one could recall the details of any of them. Kingdoms had changed, gods had been made and unmade, and no one had been able to comprehend it all until the dust had settled the following day.

Yet Aela had never heard of anyone missing the entire month beforehand. She could recall everything from the days before the Warp with no difficulty. The same with everyone else she had known at the time. Who was Seridwe, that the Warp had eclipsed her life for the month before it had even happened?

"I count myself lucky," the Altmer said. "Valens has it much worse. The Warp took his life with it. He cannot remember anything that happened beforehand. He's not even sure if his name is really Valens."

Ungarion whistled, and a glance in his direction confirmed that he was thinking the same thing that she was. Seridwe and Valens had been a part of the Warp in the West. Not mere bystanders, but active participants.

"Here I thought the two of us made a pair," Aela said finally said, glancing back at Ungarion again.

"We do," Ungarion insisted. "Just a different kind."

They drew near to the shoreline, and the grass thinned out and gave way to a beach of soft brown sand. The wide expanse of Niben Bay spread out beyond, stretching out like an azure carpet as far as the eye could see. Now they could see a figure sitting near the water with his back to them. Aela noted that he had broad shoulders, and wore a pair of ebony arming swords across his back, just as Seridwe wore her greatsword. Unlike the high elf, he was dressed in ordinary black linen however.

Aela felt power resonating from him. Even more than a dozen paces away, it glowed from his waist like one of the moons in a clear night sky. She had never felt such energy from a magic item before, not even in the University's Chironasium. She knew instantly that it was Azura's Star, and could feel its spell-absorbing enchantment as plainly as she could feel the ground beneath her feet. But there was also another sensation coming from the artifact, beyond simply its enchantment. It was a strange thing, that made her think of roses in twilight, and Aela suspected that was the touch of the Star's creator.

"Valens," Seridwe said as they stepped nearer, "I've brought some people here to meet you."

"Leave me be elf," the man said morosely. He did not turn to face them, but instead continued to stare out into the bay. "I'm not interested."

"I see, you would prefer to brood for another week then?" Seridwe stopped and rested her hands upon her armored hips. "Well, we can just go and slay those dragons all by ourselves then."

"Your sense of humor has not improved," Valens grumbled. Finally he did turn, and Aela saw from his dark hair and olive skin that he was a Nibenean. His short hair was curly, and his features were partially hidden by a neatly trimmed beard. If she had to guess, she would put his age somewhere between thirty and forty. Not old yet, but not young anymore either.

Screenshot

His eyes were hard, and even though he was sitting, Aela noted the stiff, erect posture, and the seemingly tensed muscles. Where Seridwe's bearing had proclaimed herself as a warrior, his said that he was a soldier. He looked like a man who had stood at attention and marched in lockstep for so long that his body had forgotten how to do anything else. The Imperial Legion was Aela's first guess, or some other professional military force.

"Your disposition has not improved either," Seridwe countered dryly

"So what is it this time?" the Nibenean sighed. "Vampires? Necromancers? Or did you really dig up a dragon somewhere?"

"Nagas are threatening a village to the east." Ungarion casually balanced his black staff over one shoulder. "We're looking for a few experienced people to stop them."

"To the east you said?" Valens thoughtfully stroked his beard, and turned to glance back at Niben Bay. Aela followed his gaze, and found that the white moon Secunda was now perched above the darkened horizon. "How many Nagas?"

"Forty," Aela said.

"How many people do you have?" he turned back to face them.

"Four," the Breton said honestly.

The Nibenean's cool demeanor finally broke, if only for an instant. "I admire you sense of fair odds stranger!" he nearly laughed.

Then he turned serious again. "Now you have five. I'll do it just to go east, if nothing else."

Author's Note: Before everyone brings out the torches and pitchforks, yes, I know I changed the enchantment on Azura's Star from Soul Trap to Spell Absorption. In the TF only necromancers know or use soul trap. Since Azura is not a goddess of necromancy, her artifact would not employ it. I am portraying her as a goddess of magic, so I changed it to something I found more in alignment with that aspect of her.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 27 2013, 08:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 26 2013, 09:30 PM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

Ungarion whistled, and a glance in his direction confirmed that he was thinking the same thing that she was. Seridwe and Valens had been a part of the Warp in the West. Not mere bystanders, but active participants.

I love it! I was thinking the same thing, and there it is. That’s always fun.

Oh, I much prefer spell absorbing over soul/magicka trapping. The game’s Azura’s Star always seems a bit sinister to me, especially for creatures of the “white soul” persuasion.

Oh, and you’ve explained it. Nice! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Jul 27 2013, 01:32 AM
Post #45

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 26 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Author's Note: Before everyone brings out the torches and pitchforks, yes, I know I changed the enchantment on Azura's Star from Soul Trap to Spell Absorption.

But I already grabbed my pitchfork and lit my torch. mad.gif

In all seriousness, I'm enjoying this. Anybody that can do a decent adaption of the Seven Samurai story is alright in my book, and this is looking like it'll be a lot of fun. Here's to hoping I get to enjoy as much more out of each upcoming post as I have out of the story so far.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post Jul 27 2013, 02:49 AM
Post #46

Finder
Group Icon

And then there were five...

"Here I thought the two of us made a pair," Aela said finally said, glancing back at Ungarion again.
"We do," Ungarion insisted. "Just a different kind."
-- Aela must have read my mind! I'm going to have to make a visit to The Imperial Library and read up on The Warp in the West.

Author's Note: Before everyone brings out the torches and pitchforks, yes, I know I changed the enchantment on Azura's Star from Soul Trap to Spell Absorption.

I was not as quick to arm myself as Cap'n Hammer. Personally, I completely agree with your reasoning. Even though she is Daedra, I have never connected Azura to necromancy in any of my game experiences. It seems odd that her talisman would lean that way.

I am really looking forward to the interplay of all these backstories and personalities. It promises to be a fun ride. Great write! salute.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 27 2013, 05:10 AM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

And now we are five! Cool!

First, the nit:
Unlike the high elf, he was dressed in ordinary black linen however.

Aela felt power resonating from him however.
Might want to rethink using however twice so close together. There was a another nit, but by the time I logged on here to reply, you had already fixed it. So I'm all good!

I agree that the Redguard aversion to magic is a) a carryover from the loss of Yokuda due to magicka gone wild, and cool.gif hypocritical in that magic is okay in some circumstances. Oh well. Such is the nature of humankind. I find Valens even more intriguing than Seridwe - but then, I've always been partial to the dark, mysterious men. wink.gif

No pitchforks or torches from me. I agree with the switch in the spell for Azura's Star - she always seemed one of the more benign Daedra as far as I am concerned. I actually like doing her daedric quest for the the good souls, but never really used the Star all that much.

Looking forward to more!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Jul 27 2013, 01:06 PM
Post #48

Finder
Group Icon

Huh! Now I'm really curious about Seridwe, Valens and the Warp in the West - was Valens the Hero of Daggerfall, maybe, and Seridwe a companion? Well! I'm sure we'll find out.

I think Spell Absorption on Azura's Star makes a lot of sense, especially if you've been interpreting Soul Trapping as being more sinister and necromancy-related! No pitchforks here either. smile.gif

Also, jumping back to the previous update - I am quite intrigued by Seridwe, and quite interested in how she'll get on with Aela! My first thought is that they might clash because for all you've said of trans people in the TF being excellent mages and being transgender having mystical implications, and for all Seridwe seems to be viewing Aela entirely in that light, Aela strikes me as (like many real trans women) just wanting to be seen and treated as a woman like any other. I could be wrong, of course, but if so there might be interesting times ahead...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 27 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #49

Paladin
Group Icon

Your opening paragraph setting the scene outside the Bravil gate is a real gem – beautifully crafted and a joy to read. Especially for one so familiar with the City of Mara.

Valens seems like a good addition and, I’ll wager, has both discipline and martial experience. And a mystery regarding his link to Lady Azura. No worries on changing the artifact to suit your purpose.

Four vs forty is now five! A little unfair to the poor Nagas but, just to be safe, I hope our gang is able to recruit a couple more – like that Redguard sword saint. I hear that seven would be nice. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 27 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #50

Ancient
Group Icon

Doh! I forgot to add a Screenshot of Valens.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post Jul 27 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #51

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 27 2013, 11:27 AM) *

Doh! I forgot to add a Screenshot of Valens.

You must have an AWESOME graphics mod... tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 27 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #52

Councilor
Group Icon

Make as many changes to the game as you like. Just be consistent.

Valens didn't take much persuasion. One wonders what's to the east, and whether it has anything to do with Azura. I'm sure we'll get more clues later.

So Nashira would be six, and that leaves only one to be revealed. I can't wait!

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jul 29 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm absolutely loving this story...

I love the way you've developed all the characters...The designs of them are amazing...I love the screenshots!!...Brilliant!!...

My fave - and this is no shock really...Given my J'zirlo/J'zargo thing - is the Khajiit... biggrin.gif ...He makes I laugh...As did the banter with Ungarion... laugh.gif ...

I know about the naming of swords in these types of stories, but I'd never thought of naming the armour too...That's brilliant that...

Plus, all the enchantments are amazing...Ooooh...The Redguard's sword had the hairs on the back of standing up, I thought it was so epic!!...

I love how Aela's able to read all that, just from being near them...Yes, it's a helpful writer's trick for us readers, but it's also a cool talent for the character to have too...*Applauds some more*...

I think it's excellent that they're looking for the sellswords in Bravil, a place that we're all familiar with from TF...That you haven't relocated the whole thing to Leyawiin, just to have an almost complete break is heartily applauded... biggrin.gif ...

Oooh, I know this is the Seven Samurai and I keep going on about the Magnificent Seven...But, I get the Nashira would be Britt, the James Coburn one...But is Valens the Robert Vaughn one?...Or isn't it that direct from the S.S.?...

I love all the references...Goldenrod!!... biggrin.gif ...Plus the others that I didn't make note of...That I should have...Ooops... laugh.gif ...

Aaamywho...In case you hadn't guessed...I'm loving it...So brilliant...I'm absolutely in awe of your talent...Though that does go for everyone else's too...But yours is so awesome!!...

Also, thanks for the constant schedule...Made it so easy to catch up!!... biggrin.gif ...Ta!!...

So good...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Jul 29 2013, 06:36 PM
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 30 2013, 02:02 AM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

Maybe the Warp changed the Star? laugh.gif Very interesting about the participants though. That’s one thing in TES history that I have not looked into. Perhaps I will change that soon.

“Dig up a dragon” nice reference to the dragon burial sites. I like this new guy, even if he’s a little morose. He’s got reason, but it’s how we survive that makes us who we are. I stole that last line from a song, but it fit. The distinction between warrior and soldier was neat too. Sometimes they are use synonymous but I like the difference. He learned to fight with a team, the warrior learned to fight as an individual.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 2 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

Grits: I am glad Valens and Seri's being part of the Warp was something that would be deducible. I was hoping to show it, rather than tell it.

I have always thought Azura's Star was rather creepy too. The game describes Umbra as an evil creation, and all it does is cast a soul trap on what it hits. The Star is the other half of the equation, and is actually trapping those souls. Hmm, presumably it would be sending them to the Soul Cairn as well then, since that is where souls that are trapped eventually end up. So why would Azura be feeding the Soul Cairn? Unless the Star sends them all to her realm instead? Either way, it sounds really disturbing.

Captain Hammer: Maybe I should has said "before you get out the torches and hammers"? laugh.gif I am glad you are enjoying the tale. I am trying to make Seven a clear homage to the original work, and still infuse enough originality so that it is worth the time to read.

ThatSkyrimGuy: The Warp, and the events of Daggerfell, go back pretty far IRL. So I am not surprised that its new to a lot of people. In a way that was one of the reasons I liked going back in time. There is a certain freshness to the material now, since many people have never played that game.

BTW, on graphics mods, have you ever tried playing Real Life? The graphics are extraordinary. But the gameplay is crap... wink.gif

haute ecole rider: Good call on the howevers. I had not even noticed that. My characters never use the star in my games. Granted, a while ago I found a mod that allows you to recharge your magic items with a spell, which made it completely superfluous.

Kazaera: You hit the nail right on the head. Valens was the Agent/Hero of Daggerfell, and Seridwe was his companion. That is why his entire life got erased by the Numidium's warping of reality, and Seridwe only lost the actual events which she participated in. I wanted to be subtle about it, and I am glad so many people picked up on that.

You also called it with Aela's feelings about being put on a pedestal. She just wants to be treated like any other woman. She just wants to be any other woman! Next week's episode will be all about her and Seridwe.

Acadian: Valens definitely has discipline, but not marital experience. Sorry, could not resist. Have you ever noticed how similar martial and marital are in spelling? Perhaps that is not an accident... wink.gif Interesting that you mention Nashira, as we will be meeting her again this episode. The same with another character.

ghastley: Valens' doom waits for him to the east, and part of him knows it. Exactly what that doom is remains unclear, but you are right in suspecting that is has everything to do with Azura. It is hinted at in Chapter 36.2 - The Witch Of Bawnwatch Island

McBadgere: I spent a lot of time working on each character, and their 'art direction' if you can call it that. I wanted them all to stand out as unique. For example with Do'Sakhar I went digging through the lore about Khajiit to find that they have a traditional lamellar armor. So I rolled with that and decided to use an early Japanese form of armor. A new character being introduced this episode has a shield that is inspired by the Thracians, both in its crescent design, and its decoration.

I sort of had to go with Bravil, in order to fit Aela and Ungarion into the tale. Aela likes the area around Bravil, so they spend a lot of time there now that they have graduated.

Nashira is based upon Kyūzō from Seven Samurai, who was James Coburn in the Mag Seven. There is one other character being introduced today who is also a direct inspiration from both films (and it should be obvious who). But the others are all original. They had to be in order to mesh with the people that Aela used to adventure with in the past (that is the past from the perspective of the TF - when Teresa met Aela at Bawnwatch Island

King Coin: Interesting you mention that quote, because Aela will say something very similar to Valens in a future episode.

Kerr Cuhulain once wrote that "Soldier's March, Warriors Dance." I think that really sums up the difference between the two.

Previously on Seven: In our last episode Seridwe introduced Aela and Ungarion to her partner Valens, who is also the bearer of Azura's Star. A&U learned that while Seri cannot recall any of the events leading up to the Warp In The West, Valens cannot remember any of his life before the world-changing event. This led both to suspect that Seridwe and Valens were an active part of the Warp, perhaps even its cause. Valens initially turned down the quest to help the Agrigentans. Then when he learned that it was to the east, he changed his mind.

Chapter 1.6

The foursome was making their way back through the darkened streets of Bravil when an Argonian stepped out of the shadows along their path and blocked their way. A pair of straight horns pointed back from his head, which was crowned by a row of rust-colored feathers. He was dressed in little more than a loincloth and a belt. In one hand he clutched a long spear with a leaf-shaped head of steel. In the other hand he held a crescent-shaped shield of wood that was painted yellow, and emblazoned with a pair of large crimson eyes drawn at a slant.

Screenshot

"It is said that these ones are seeking warriors," the Argonian declared. "Talun-Lei shall join them."

Like the others, Aela studied the Argonian. The flickering light of the street lamps glistened off his lustrous green scales, a sure sign of youth in one of his race. While his face seemed set in stone, his tail twitched, revealing his nervousness to all with an eye to see. His gear, or lack of it, again spoke of his inexperience. But most of all his eyes lacked that flinty edge that one got after having killed other sentients. Not from the first time, but the time after that, when you did it again even though you knew what it meant, and part of your heart went cold.

"You don't have what it takes boy," Valens said what Aela knew they all were thinking. "Go home, and live to see your scales fade."

"This one is a warrior," the Argonian insisted. "Talun-Lei may not have fancy armor or magics, but he is strong, and he can fight."

"What do you know about fighting?" Valens growled. He stepped forward, and grabbed the spear from the youth's hand. "We aren't spearing fish boy, or hunting razorbacks. We're killing people. People you have to look in the eye as their life drains out of them, as they scream, and cry, and beg for their lives. Can you do that son?"

"Talun-Lei is ready," the Argonian declared. The feathers on his head rose up, and his tail began to sway behind him.

"Then show me kid." Valens slapped the spear into the Argonian's chest, and the youth took hold of it with his right hand again. "Come on, stab me with that fish-sticker."

Aela felt sorry for the Argonian. He was clearly out of his depth. She hoped that he would just walk away, and spare himself the coming humiliation. But given his youth, she doubted that would happen.

Talun-Lei's eyes flickered from Valens to her, Seridwe, and Ungarion.

They all stepped back to give the pair room. "Don't hold back Argonian," Seridwe cautioned. "Give it all you have. Kill him if you can."

The Argonian stabbed with the lightning quickness of his race. But Valens appeared to have seen it coming. Aela only knew a little of sword-fighting, and far less of spear-fighting, so she could not tell what the name of the move was the Nibenean used to disarm the youth. All she did know was that an instant later Valens had the spear in his hand, and was whacking its wooden butt against the side of the Argonian's head.

Talun-Lei fell to one knee under the blow. But he did raise his shield over his head to ward off more attacks. Valens did not follow up his assault however. Instead he simply threw the spear down upon the cobblestones at the Argonian's feet.

"Go home son," he said quietly. Without another word, he walked on down the street. Ungarion opened his mouth to say something. Then he shook his head and walked on as well. So too did Seridwe.

Aela stared the young Argonian, and debated whether or not she should try to heal the bump she could already see forming upon his head. She could not help but to feel sympathy for him. She knew all too well what it felt like to be humiliated before a crowd. But she could appreciate that Valens had not been motivated by cruelty. Of course, whether or not Talun-Lei would understand the lesson the Nibenean had so painfully tried to impart was another matter.

Aela decided not to heal him. All actions came with consequences, sometimes painful ones. Talun-Lei would have to endure them all. It might even help him decide his future.

The next morning found the five mercenaries gathered at Bravil's inner docks, along with the four Agrigentans. The adventurers all wore their armor and weapons. Seridwe was clad in her elvish panoply, and carried her bow and sword. Do'Sakhar wore his own people's black lacquered lamellar, and carried his sandcrawler bone bow and dwarven axe. Ungarion practically strutted in his black silk robes and carried his black staff Andlome, or 'Long Night' in the human tongue. She herself wore her brown adventuring clothing, and carried her white staff - Hrive Amaurea - or 'Winter's Dawn' - in one hand.

Aela noted that Valens was now clad in armor: a gleaming hauberk of ebony links, covered by a breastplate and pauldrons of similar material. Vambraces of ebony covered his forearms, as did one piece greaves that were snapped into place over his lower legs, running from ankle to knee. While the power that Azura's Star resonated with made it difficult to tell for certain, she could feel no magic from the armor. Though given its material, it hardly needed enchantment. However, she could now discern that his swords were named Silme and Isilme, or 'Starlight' and 'Moonlight' in the Imperial language. Their enchantments eluded her however. Azura's Star simply overwhelmed everything else around it, like staring into a campfire made one night-blind.

Aela was surprised to see another figure waiting at the docks for them. It was Nashira, clad in her red and brown Hammerfell attire. Aela could now sense the protective enchantments upon the mail shirt she wore under her jacket, as well as those upon her boots and gloves. Her ice-ensorcelled scimitar was at her hip, and a backpack was slung over the Redguard's shoulders.

"I thought you were not coming?" Ungarion said what Aela imagined everyone else was thinking.

"The man I killed yesterday has three brothers," Nashira said matter-of-factly. "If I remain, they will come for me. Then I will have to kill them as well. So I will go with you instead."

Ungarion looked back to the others. "That makes six."

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 4 2013, 06:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Aug 2 2013, 06:32 PM
Post #56

Knower
Group Icon

Well, you obviously don't know that I always have my hammer. hubbahubba.gif But we'll leave that alone for now.

And while we're at it, I suppose I should mention that other members of my family have found sharpened polearms with multiple tines a useful item. Though putting Brick up at my place was a truly horrendous week.

On to the new stuff.

First, in the time between my reading of the most recent installment and the posting of my reply, you picked the nit I was going to hit. Showing great wit. And forcing me to start with the rhymes of [censored].

Oh, Talun-Lei. This one knows of his type. Young, proud reptile, unblooded and unwise. There's another benefit to Valens' lesson: young unscarred lizard-skin makes for the best boots. Now Talun-Lei's hide won't fetch as much at the market, so there will be less poachers after him.

On the matter of the Soul Cairn, and Azura's Star: yes, I can see the evil aspect of Umbra being manifest, but Azura's star is supposed to be incapable of holding sentient souls. I figured that the inherent 'blackness' of trapping a sentient soul was the part that required the Soul Cairn, i.e., it's where sentient souls get sent to be stripped of their power and individuality while 'white souls' are the ones that get recycled into the Aetherius and are eventually sent back to Nirn. As the Earthbones, the Physics and Metaphysics of Mundus, are fully sacrificed Aedric beings, the white souls are essentially the non-sentient automoton drives that animate system platforms which carry out these processes: Deer, wolves, trolls, etc. essentially being non-sentient and being constantly reintroduced into the world in accordance with architectural structure devised by Magnus and whose energy to return comes from the out-bound flow of magic to Nirn via the sun and stars. Since sentient souls are the souls that have to go through the Dreamsleeve, or an afterlife appropriate to that soul (Sovngarde, etc.), these are the only ones that can be trapped in the Soul Cairn on the way through since they follow a different path in the cycle.

Back to this installment!

It's nice to get a summary of how each of the Six (one more coming, obviously) are outfitted and how it works with their skills. I've now got a sense of the fighting gear and styles each member of the band probably employs, except for Valens, whose mysterious mystery-stuff will continue to mystify me (okay, I'll stop now).

And then we see the person on the docks. Glad to see Nashira has more than just a sword and swordsmanship to her repertoire, though the worry about some angry brothers shows why Mr. Big-and-Broadsworded didn't bother to think things through. Really, though, it's smart. She killed a guy, and now needs to get out of town and lay low for a while.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 2 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #57

Paladin
Group Icon

A nice pause/interlude to show the young Argonian tribesman. That scene, when combined with the ebony armor of the following morning, pretty much establishes Valen’s creds as far as fighting and reading the abilities of others of the profession.

"The man I killed yesterday has three brothers," Nashira said matter-of-factly. "If I remain, they will come for me. Then I will have to kill them as well. So I will go with you instead." - - This Redguard is one no nonsense practical woman! She should probably wear a little warning sign: ‘Don’t tug on Superman’s cape!’ wink.gif

’Ungarion looked back to the others. "That makes six." - - And my sincere hope is that Number Seven will be Mad Jack’s mule of the same name! Oh, along with the cantankerous old mountain man and his summoned spriggan of course. tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Aug 3 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

I can't believe I only just noticed this. It's another Subrose, and one with Aela as the main character! That is fantastic! On multiple levels! Ending sentences with exclamation marks!

On a more serious note, however, I do love this idea of doing the Magnificent Seven with a TES twist, and the cast of badasses you've assembled/are assembling for this look great; each one of them are nice and distinct, and I've no doubt that once Talun-Lei makes it seven (I just know that kid ain't gonna back down) things are going to get good.

Colour me excited for the rest of this; it looks like it the potential to be on hell of a good story!
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 3 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

Heh... biggrin.gif ...While I agree with Acadian, it would be excellent to see old Denver in the story again...I wondered when the Chico (Apologies, yes Mag Seven again sad.gif ) character would turn up... biggrin.gif ...And obviously, it had to be an Argonian...Brilliantly done though...

Loved the firm but fair lesson...

And so to Black Marsh we go!...With more epic weapons and armour...*Is jealous biggrin.gif *...

Looking forward to more...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 3 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

Ungarion looked back to the others. "That makes six."

OK I haven’t seen the movies yet (I know! I’m getting to them!!) but I’m also guessing that number six is actually number seven with six being the minimally dressed young Argonian. We shall see. smile.gif Great fun!

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:09 PM