13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cardonaccum, The beauty of a thistle.
Acadian
post Aug 5 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #41

Paladin
Group Icon

While still whirling from the funeral and ominous presence of General Talos inside her walls, Cora is now confronted by internal dissention from her own knights – some of whom question Wallace’s judgment now that he is now longer present.

Roderic’s words before the other knights entered the chamber were welcome indeed, and could not have come at a better time.

I think Cora was wise to keep her own counsel for the moment, while she absorbed input from others. A night of rest to ponder then, as she reminds herself, a meeting with Talos.

No pressure, Cora. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Aug 5 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #42

Knower
Group Icon

Well, I am all caught up, and happy that I have done so.

At first I was confused about the timing of this story and its locale, but upon seeing Wallace's possessions returned by none other than GENERAL TALOS STORMCROWN, DRAGON OF THE NORTH!!!, immediately established the setting.

I've always wanted to see more of Tiber's unification of Tamriel, and this hits the spot nicely.

Okay, enough of me gushing fan-boyishly over my second-favorite Dragonborn. On to the story.

I keep reading "Lady Cora" but all I can think about is Penelope without a Telemachus to raise. And of course, Wallace is dead instead of being lost at sea, but I'm still being brought back to this. She's smart and determined and has to deal with a pack of dogs too eager by halves to devour the estate for themselves. They are far too interested in the scraps of what they couldn't save to see that there's a pack of wolves in their midst led by an alpha with more competence and a sense of honor than most of Cardonaccum's residents combined.

I hope the others realize the poor quality of their judgement by the time Cora has finished her meeting with GENERAL TALOS STORMCROWN, DRAGON OF THE NORTH!!!, tomorrow morning.

This post has been edited by Captain Hammer: Aug 8 2013, 05:21 PM

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 8 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

I like how Cora’s insecurities run through this segment in a way supporting some of the knights’ opinions. On the one hand she thinks of Alessia, but she also wonders how she’ll fend off Broc’s advances without her husband to protect her. She still talks about not sewing as well as the pretty blonde who died twenty-five years ago, but she has vivid memories of Wallace’s very specific advice about her future advisors. (I imagine that with the age difference they both expected he would predecease her.) All made very interesting by the presence of General Talos in the salt room. Their local drama has higher stakes.

It’s a lot of fun when the bad guys have a valid point and the heroine makes me want to reach out and smack her forehead. Very engagaing!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 11 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

@Kazaera: Yes, Cora's choice to withhold her own counsel is very revealing of her personality. I hope to show more of how her personality was shaped by her early experiences and how much her marriage to Wallace changed her life and her self-perception. Old doubts will continue to plague her from time to time. And yes, Rodric, like Robert, is one of those men who just have a gift for seeing things as they really are. I too, love the old guy - he is one of those characters I keep returning to just because I enjoy his interactions with Cora and the others. I also think you are not too far off in your assessment of Laird and Broc.

@SubRosa: Yes, Lady Elspeth was gorgeous! I was searching Pre-Raphealite paintings, and came across this one. She just looked at me and said "I am she who came before . . ." I wrote the description before I found the portrait, so sheer serendipity ruled the day here. I always thought the game was confusing in its treatment of gender relations - there are plenty of women in what would be considered non-traditional roles IRL - smiths, guard captains, adventurers, and battle mages, yet the TES history shows scant evidence of female rulers, and in TES IV itself, we have only one Countess who did not come to her position due to the death of a husband. And the Ruby Throne is handed down from father to heir, not from mother. So I wanted to explore this a little bit here. And I think Talos has his own mind in the matter of Cardonaccum politics.

@Officer Condiment (my favorite one, BTW): Well, I started writing this one before I read the first volume of Game of Thrones, so no, I suspect it won't be so Machiavellian as that series. It's funny but I never continued reading, even though I found the first volume quite enthralling. I think it's because my favorite characters were killed at the beginning and I just didn't want to read any more. Besides, I hate long series (I should talk, though . . .).

@McB: Glad you enjoyed how I'm developing the villains here. I've always felt that the bad guys were just as interesting as the good ones, and I love stories that tell us how the bad characters turned out, well, bad. They have motivations just as our protagonists do, and seeing what drives them (other than the stereotypical desire to take over the world mwuahahaha) just makes them more real and interesting, IMHO.

@ghastley: Wallace has taught Cora well. We are now beginning to see just how well. So are her knights. And yes, she will talk to Talos before returning to her knights with her decision.

@Acadian: No pressure, indeed! wink.gif

@BamBam: I'm with you in my fan-girl-ness! I loved reading about Talos Stormcrown - all the stories about his exploits and accomplishments and the different versions of how he came to be Emperor etc etc etc just makes it fun to tease out the man behind the legends. Talos will always be my favorite Dragonborn, simply because in my mind, he is just how the Dragonborn ought to be. It's interesting that though the Amulet of Kings have been passed down from Dragonborn to Dragonborn (I would hope), none of them have measured up to the standards set by Talos (except maybe Martin Septim). Will Onchu, Laird and Broc realize the the severity of their underestimation of this tiny woman from the Reaches before it's too late? Will Talos also make the same mistake? Read on!

@Grits: Don't you hate it when the "heroine" submits to society's definition of a "real" woman? However, I suspect that you will find Cora is not prone to such weaknesses. Though she remains plagued by self-doubts, I think we will see her find her own way and stick to it.

The story so far: Cora now has a clear idea of where her knights and priest stands regarding her assumption of the rule of Cardonaccum. Now she begins preparing for her meeting with General Talos.

Chapter Seven

Niall poured the steaming mug of strong tea and set it on the desk before me. I looked up from the ledgers he had provided as he stepped back. “Is this everything?” I asked him. He nodded and set the teapot down on the nearby table.

“Everything from the past five years,” he said. “If you want to go further back, let me know and I will recover the older books from the archives.” He returned to the desk and gestured toward the green books. “Those are concerning consumables - meat, drink, spices, salt, and so on.” He touched the stack of blue volumes with an index finger. “And these have to do with durables - fabric and clothing, crockery, metalware having to do with the running of the castle. And these,” he indicated the brown books, “have to do with the stables, livestock, and their produce.”

“And these red ones?” I asked, laying my hand on the stack of thick volumes.

“Those are from the manors and crofts - income from wool, mining, fishing, and so on.” Niall did not meet my surprised gaze. “And the black ones have to do with the soldiers - training, weaponry, armor, and all that.”

“Those are the Lord’s responsibilities,” I leaned back in the high-backed chair. Now the lean steward met my eyes.

“Now they are yours, as well.” He caught the flicker in my gaze. “Aye, we heard what Sir Laird proposed to you last night. The whole castle’s talking about it.”

Jannet straightened up from stoking the fire in the hearth. “Ach, that’s right!” She moved to stand beside Niall. “And we’ll have you know, milady, that we consider you Lord and Lady both right proper!”

I reached up to the fall of black hair that cascaded over my left shoulder as I gazed out the study window. “I am not certain Sir Laird sees it that way,” I began.

“Nonsense!” Jannet snapped. “That old fart’s too ambitious for his own good. Overreaching his station, he is! You wouldn’t be the first Lady to carry on after the death of the Lord, that much is certain!” She frowned at me, concern emerging in her canny gaze. “And that young Sir Broc, he’s no head for administration, or leading with anything other than his dagger! If I could tell you the things I’ve heard about that one -"

“That’s not for a proper lady to hear,” Niall made a chopping motion with his hand. He turned back to me. “All night the castle folk have been coming to me, begging me to tell you one thing.” Jannet nodded vigorously, grey locks floating loose from her severe bun. “You have the support of us all. We trust you to know what’s best.”

I lowered my left hand to the desk and stared at Niall. “Well,” I said finally. “Thank you for that vote of confidence. I haven’t yet decided -"

“We know you’ll do the right thing,” Niall smiled thinly at me. “And we know you’ll only make your decision when you’ve considered all the options.” He bowed to me and turned away.

Jannet winked at me and made to follow the steward. “Just a moment,” I called after them. They stopped and glanced back. “Please have Robert come to me when he is done with morning rounds.”

“As you wish, milady,” Niall said.

After the door snicked closed behind them, I leaned back in the chair. So the castle folk support me? Does that mean I can stand up to Sir Laird, Sir Broc and that odious Onchu? Sir Rodric has stated he would support me, that means he’ll also give me his men should I have need of a fighting force. What of the soldiers sworn to Wallace? Are they of Laird’s ilk? Or more like Robert? I closed my eyes for a moment, giving in to the weariness in my bones. I had not slept at all for the second night in a row, afraid of facing my nightmares alone.

The weak autumn sun broke through the chill morning gloom and roused me from a fitful nap. I sat up and gulped the tea, now cooling. Can’t fall asleep now! I have so much work to do, and think about. Then there’s my meeting with the General.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my perusal of the amount of copper mined last year. “Please come in,” I called. Robert entered the study, and immediately filled it with his presence. He paused just within the doorway.

“Please, sit,” I waved at the upholstered chairs in front of the hearth. As he moved toward the nearer one, I rose and joined him. His chosen seat creaked beneath his bulk as he seated himself gingerly. “Robert, I’d like to thank you for the support you’ve shown me these past couple of days,” I began.

“It’s the best way to honor Lord Wallace,” he said gruffly. “Milord was my friend all those years ago, and has remained so, though I did not deserve it.” He looked down at his callused hands. “It’s the least I can do for the debt I owe him.”

“Then I shall be ever in your debt, Robert,” I said. “And I trust you, of all the men here, to tell me the truth as it is. But there is one thing that I must make clear, if we are to move forward.”

Robert met my gaze. “What is it, milady?”

“You made the decision to allow General Talos to witness the funeral of the man he vanquished. You did so without asking me.” I held up my hand when he drew a deep breath. “I understand why you didn’t, and I appreciate it. But please understand, if I am to take Wallace’s place, you must not be seen to be undermining my authority.”

Robert leaned his head back, his eyes blinking in consternation. “Undermine your authority? Never!”

I smiled at his vehemence. “Robert, I know you are accustomed to thinking of me as the Lady you are sworn to protect. But let me ask you this: If it had been Lord Wallace sitting vigil over my dead body, would you have made such a decision on your own?”

“Of course not!” Robert shook his head. “The Lord must know of all, be aware of every little thing at all times -" His voice trailed off and his eyes widened in sudden comprehension. “Of course, you are the Lord now.” He turned his face away. “I am sorry, forgive me.”

“Of course I forgive you, Robert,” I responded, reaching across the small table to pat his left hand reassuringly. “After all, you acted as you saw fit. I would suggest that in the future, you come to me as you once came to Lord Wallace. If I am to take his place, that is the way things must be.”

He took my hand in his, warming my fingers with his callused palm. “Of course, milady.” He nodded to himself. “Lord Wallace was right, you understand much more than you let on.”

“I learned much from Lord Wallace,” I answered, leaning back in my chair. “Tell me of the Legions. Do we know what they are up to?”

“I received a report last night that they have camped at Thistle Downs.” Robert replied. “That’s only a few hours’ march from here.”

I rose to my feet and paced to the tall windows that looked south into the warm sunlight. Robert rose as well, but remained standing beside the chairs. “That must be what General Talos meant when he said our time is limited.” I took a deep breath. “They must have standing orders to march if he does not return to them by a certain time.”

Robert was silent for a moment. “That sounds very likely, milady,” he said finally, and I could hear new respect in his voice. “It probably explains why he didn’t exactly surrender.”

“But why would he come here himself?” I asked. “He was victorious at the river, why did he come here alone but for a few companions, and why did he allow you to take him prisoner? Returning Lord Wallace’s horse and gear is just an excuse.”

“And a risk,” Robert agreed. “Like you said to him, what’s to stop you from using those emblems to rally the survivors around you and continue resisting Talos’s Legions?”

“He wants something.” I turned my back to the sun. “But what? We’re a small holding, nothing like Wayrest or Daggerfall -“

“We’re one of many, it’s true,” Robert agreed. “But look at where we’re located. At the foot of the Wrothgarians. On the other side are the Western Reaches.”

“And we sit at the foot of the lowest pass,” I nodded to myself. “But why would General Talos be concerned about them? Most of their mages were killed at Sancre Tor last winter.” My father and brother among them, though there’s little love lost between us.

“He can’t possibly think that the Reachmen would strike at him now?” Robert ran his fingers through his beard. “Winter’s coming on, and those passes are already impassable from the snow.”

I drew myself up to my fullest diminutive height. “The morning is wearing on,” I said. “It’s time I spoke to General Talos.”

“Must you do so?” Robert regarded me dubiously. “What can he tell you that is so important?”

“Exactly,” I answered. “What does he have to say to me that he would come here virtually unguarded? And his Legions? What are their standing orders? What if they start rampaging through Cardonaccum? We don’t have the men to stop them, do we?”

“I would have to check with Enrick, but I don’t think so.”

“Enrick?” I repeated the unfamiliar name. “That’s Wallace’s second-in-command of the forces, isn’t he?”

“Aye,” Robert nodded confirmation. “The one who swore fealty to you last night.”

I made my decision. “Very well, Robert. Have Enrick post every whole man on the walls of the bailey. Send outriders down the road and up on the moor to watch for movement. Once that’s done, bring General Talos to me. I would hear what he has to say.”

“Milady,” Robert bowed his acquiescence. “I would advise that you don’t meet with him alone.”

“Of course not,” I answered. “That’s why I want you present.” I paced away from the window to the study desk. “Naturally he would want to bring his companions with. Allow him only one, the others will have to remain in the salt room.”

“As you wish, milady.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 11 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

The castle folk being on Cora's side helps. At least she has a base of people she can trust. But at some point I am certain it is still going to come down pure military force. That makes Laird and Broc dangerous foes.

And Sir Robert is going to be a key player to any military solution Cora arrives at. With Roderic out of action he is the only knight she can really count on right now. I see that even as she is taking over the bookkeeping, she is also gently making sure that he is not only on her side, but reminding him who is in charge. This makes it plain that she will not back down to Laird or Broc as well. Here we see her very clearly taking the reins of leadership. Good on her!

Thanks to the little geography lesson now I have a better idea of where Cardonaccum is, somewhere near the Crypt of Hearts it would seem, since the sea is to the west.

Enrick, there is a new name. Hopefully Cora will be able to count upon him as well as she can Robert.

Now it is finally to meet Talos and see what he is up to. That was a clever idea of Cora to put all of the fighting men on duty, so that he will see them arrayed for a fight while he is brought to meet her.

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Aug 11 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

Still not caught up yet. (yes, I'm slow.)

What really amazes me is that you take a funeral and turn it into a massive melting pot of conflicting traditions, powerplays, political affiliation, war-logistics and good old fashioned personal conflicts. I love it.

Talos' involvement is interesting as well. He wants something from Cardonaccum, and he works to accomplish it in two ways. First he returns Lord Wallace's arms and horse as a gesture of goodwill. Then he makes the veiled threat that his forces will move in to finish the job they started on the battlefield unless something happens. (that something being what Talos wants) Of course, a commanding presence helps alot.

What does Talos want? I dunno. Probably some form of alliance or at least a cease-fire with optional tribute. If Cora, (or whoeve tries to punt her out of the seat, assuming this person succeeds) does not sign, then Talos will just march in and take the castle by force.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 11 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

“Exactly,” I answered. “What does he have to say to me that he would come here virtually unguarded? And his Legions? What are their standing orders? What if they start rampaging through Cardonaccum? We don’t have the men to stop them, do we?”

I wonder that, too! I enjoyed the discussion between Cora and Robert, and I'm interested to hear what the General has to say.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 12 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #48

Councilor
Group Icon

An excellent chapter...Again!!... biggrin.gif ...

Weez all zeez exzellent chapterz, milady iz zpoiling uzz!!...*Cough*...Sorry, ye old Ferrero Rochet adverts coming through again... huh.gif ...

Aaamywho...

Again, Robert's support along with Jannet and the staff is proper excellent...I especially loved that bit with Niall showing her the books that only the Lords traditionally see...And then Jannet's "You wouldn’t be the first Lady to carry on after the death of the Lord, that much is certain!"...I absolutely love all this kind of thing...

I'm sure your version of General Talos, while being ruthless enough to accomplish his goals will be Noble enough to get what he wants without resorting to routing the place...Well...We can hope... biggrin.gif ...

Loving it all...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 12 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

The castle staff is behind her. The army is behind her. Half the nobles are behind her, and the others are each out for their own gain, and not united. What's holding her back?

Talos could make a difference, but I suspect it will just be one that reinforces the decision she should be making anyway.

Can't wait to find out what he says to her! smile.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 12 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #50

Paladin
Group Icon

We can well feel the heavy mantle of responsibility as it settles on the small shoulders of Lady-Lord Cora. The supportive words of her castle staff and the stalwart Robert had to mean ever so much at this point.

What indeed can Talos be thinking? Robert knows the neighboring terrain and, as he points out, winter is coming. Many are the generals who have harshly learned the deadly lessons of overextending a campaign into a frigid mountainous winter.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Aug 13 2013, 05:07 AM
Post #51

Knower
Group Icon

Well, I guess we didn't get to see what GENERAL TALOS STORMCROWN, DRAGON OF THE NORTH!!!! wants just yet, but hopefully we will soon.

And yeah, my fanboyism is of a pretty-much unhealthy level. Whenever I read about Tiber Septim and his exploits, I think of a combination of two important characters from the Warhammer 40,000 universe: The God-Emperor of Mankind combined with COMMISAR CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!! and then plopped down in Tamriel.

And yes, the capitalizations and boldface are required when referring to COMMISAR CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!!, as well as his title and the attendant exclamation points.

Where was I? Ah, yes. Now I remember.

So, Talos has posted orders for his legions to move if they don't hear back from him, that being a metaphorical Dead-Man's Trigger to hold against Cardonaccum, and my best guess is that those orders of the "Pillage, Plunder, and Burn" variety to reinforce just how bad an idea it would be to kill him. It's what I'd do.

I will be interested to see what Talos wants as much as the others. I do not yet know enough about the metaphysics of this story to determine what it is that Talos needs, as I would imagine that if this story takes place under the same rules as Julian faced back in Fort Blueblood while trying to find Dagail's father's amulet. If that's the case, I wonder just how much of a problem winter poses for a general whose armies could always march under uncannily Clear Skies.

It is good to see Cora taking the active role in marshaling her resources early. It may not have been likable or enjoyable to see Robert reminded of the bounds of his oaths but it showed that the Lady-Lord of the Castle will treat challenges to her authority the same, no matter the source. Good on her, both for making the point, and doing it respectfully for one that is among her supporters.

--------------------
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 18 2013, 07:09 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

@SubRosa: I am glad you have finally figured out the geographic location. I am not sure just where the Crypt of Hearts is, but I will trust your judgment. And yes, you are right - Sirs Laird and Broc are dangerous foes indeed.

@Stratocumulus: Take your time and enjoy! It's good to see you gaining so much from your reading of my little story.

@Grits: That discussion between Robert and Lady Cora was fun to write! There are more to come!

@McB: Niall and Jannet make quite the pair - they represent the castle servants and are great to write, even though they have relatively minor roles.

@ghastley: What's holding Lady Cora back is the time she needs to gather her resources and fully assess her situation. Remember, she has studied Art of War and Crossing the Bjoulsae, among others. She is merely following her education.

@Acadian: Thanks for pointing out the obvious - the longer the supply lines, the harder it is to maintain an army's momentum. Still true, even in this day and age of air support.

@BamBam: Yes, you are right, Talos has the TES version of the Deadman's Trigger as his Plan B. As for weather control, well, let's just say that marching armies under clear skies would take an awful amount of energy Magicka. More than a mere mortal can generate. And sorry, I'm writing of Talos the man, not TALOS THE LEGENDARY IMMORTAL DRAGONBORN OF ALL TIME!!! wink.gif

The story so far: We have watched Lady Cora gather information about her situation and learn who supports her as Wallace's successor and who doesn't. Now we get to what everyone is so anxiously waiting for: Talos's proposal.

Chapter Eight

I turned from the book in my lap to the sun, now stronger as it neared zenith. “On fatal terrain I will show them that we will not live.” That is what Wallace set out to do. Must I do this, as well? Must I stand firm? Do I even have the courage and resources to do so? I considered the book again, then turned the pages back to an earlier section.

Aha, here it is: “Subjugating the enemy’s army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence.” That is what I will have to do - with Sir Laird, Sir Broc, and Onchu, as well as this General Talos. “If I do not want to engage in combat, even though I merely draw a line upon the ground and defend it, they will not be able to engage me in battle because we thwart their movements.” I will remember these words.

I closed the book and swung my bare feet to the floor. Footsteps in the open doorway of the study drew my attention upwards. Niall entered with a fresh pot of tea. “Robert asked me to bring this to you, milady,” he said with a bow. “He is on his way with the prisoners.”

Carefully I set the ancient book aside and rose from the window seat. “Thank you, Niall.” I gestured for him to set it up on the library table. “I will take it from there.” As he bowed and left, I moved to the teapot and refilled my clay cup.

Booted footfalls warned me of Robert’s approach. I carried my tea to the desk and moved to take my seat behind it.

“Milady,” Robert stepped into the room. “General Talos and Lieutenant Titus Alorius.” He moved aside to let the others enter.

As imposing as Robert’s presence was, it dwindled next to Talos. Though the general was of average height and build, he carried himself with an arrogant confidence that filled the room and made its impressive book collection seem insignificant. Behind him, Titus Alorius seemed like a mere slip of a boy between Talos and Robert.

Yet Talos’s so young. Only twenty-five. Younger even than me. But those eyes. For the first time, I could see them clearly. They were not dark, as I had surmised before, but a startlingly clear hazel.

Once again the shaken feeling swept through me as we locked gazes. Then he bowed courteously to me. “Lady Cora,” his quiet voice carried across the study, full of authority and calm. “Thank you for giving me a little of your time.”

I seated myself before my knees gave way. This is ridiculous! Robert would never let him harm me! “P- please, have a seat,” I gestured toward the two upholstered chairs beside the fire. Somehow my hand didn’t shake as I sipped at the tea. Robert shifted to stand beside the desk, unquestionably my bodyguard in this situation. As the two men moved to sit, I took a deep breath to steady myself and to scare away the stutter I could feel surging in my throat. “I trust you find your accommodations agreeable?”

Talos glanced up as he settled himself more comfortably in the chair - not an easy thing with his plate armor. “Yes, quite,” he replied, a tinge of sarcasm in his tone. “Though surrounded by salt as we are, our thirst has been uncommonly strong.”

I ignored the implied criticism of our castle’s courtesy. “I believe Robert has been diligent in seeing to your needs,” I said slowly. After another sip of the strong tea, I folded my hands on the desk. “General, you said you had a p- proposal for me. Now’s the time.”

“I can help you with your quandary if you’ll help me with mine,” Talos got right to the point. His hazel eyes held mine steadily as I considered his words. What quandary is he talking about? How to get demoralized men through the winter? How to maintain Cardonaccum’s independence against an invasion force? How to get rid of him?

“What q- quandary is that?” I managed to keep my stammering under control. Talos’s next words caught me off guard.

“Do you wish to lead Cardonaccum in light of your husband’s passing?”

I stared at him. “Wh- what does it matter to you?” I remembered to keep my breathing slow to neutralize my stutter. “You’re here to conquer every lord in High Rock, aren’t you?”

Talos regarded me for a few moments. “‘When employing them in battle, a victory that is long in coming will blunt their weapons and dampen their ardor.’”

I stifled my involuntary gasp at recognizing the words I knew so well, words I had read so many times over in Art of War. Silence settled into the study as my mind raced through the implications. He’s read the book and is very familiar with it. No wonder he was so successful at Sancre Tor, and so far in High Rock. But does the fact that he quoted this particular statement mean that he is overextended and knows it? Just how much does he know of the situation here? I lowered my eyes from Talos and sipped again at my tea to gain a little more time.

“I see that you are familiar with a certain book,” Talos continued calmly. He nodded in the direction of the window seat when I looked back at him. “I, too, have studied the same material. You don’t need me to tell you that I hold its precepts close to my heart.” Now he inclined his head at me. “Nor do I doubt you do the same.”

I leaned back in the chair, speechless. Even my stutter was silent. Beside me Robert grew tense as he looked from Talos to me. Finally I took a deep breath. Then another.

“I believe you intend to carry on Lord Wallace’s legacy at Cardonaccum,” Talos continued. “And I understand that certain people are not supportive of the idea. Sir Laird has already offered to relieve you of the burden, hasn’t he?” He rose from his chair and moved to the window seat. As I stared, he picked up the ancient volume I had been reading and carefully paged through it. Finding the place he sought, he brought the book to me and laid it on the desk, open to a page in the latter half.

I did not have to read far to see his meaning. “In general, as for the armies you want to strike, the cities you want to attack, and the men you want to assassinate, you must first know the names of the defensive commander, his assistants, staff, door guards, and attendants.” Talos returned to his seat and moved to stand behind it, resting his arms on its high back. I regarded him thoughtfully. He’s telling me he has spies within Cardonaccum. Why?

“Lady Cora, you can not keep your position without help.” He tipped his head respectfully at Robert. “I don’t doubt there are those here who have sworn you their staunch support. But not only do you have enemies within, but also without Cardonaccum.”

“Such as you,” I said when he paused. “So what is your proposal?”

“I will support you in your position here as Lord Cora of Cardonaccum.” Talos’s smile did not reach his hazel eyes.

Robert inhaled sharply. “We don’t --“ He stopped when I held up my hand. “Sorry, milady,” he muttered so that only I heard.

I sipped my tea again. “And what do you hope to gain in return?”

“An ally, no more,” he answered simply. “I had hoped to make this proposal to Lord Wallace himself, but he moved before I could send him a messenger.” He looked down at his loosely clasped hands. I could see the scrapes and bruises across his knuckles that came with combat. “It is rather unfortunate that he died under these circumstances.” He ran his left thumb across his right palm. “But I still would rather have you as my ally than as my enemy.”

“Even if it means making an enemy out of Sir Laird?” I asked. “For certain he wouldn’t accept such an alliance with you.”

He looked up at me from beneath brows shaped like swallow’s wings. “Exactly why I am speaking to you, Lady Cora, and not him.” He shrugged expressively. “Sir Laird will always be my enemy, but as long as he does not hold Cardonaccum, he is of no concern to me.”

I leaned my left elbow on the arm of my chair and rested my jaw in my upraised palm. “I don’t doubt that he would seek an excuse to unseat me. He thinks he already has one.”

“That you’re a woman?” Talos asked. “Or a barefoot Witch?”

Again I reeled from surprise, though I kept myself motionless in the chair. He knows entirely too much. Does he know that I’ve been seeing him in my nightmares since I was twelve years old?

“Like I said, as long as he does not hold Cardonaccum, Sir Laird does not concern me.” Talos straightened up and set his hands on the upholstered back of the chair.

“If I were to become your - “ I hesitated briefly, the stutter surging into my mouth. “- ally, Sir Laird will m- most certainly unseat me. He has a c- considerable number of men still at his disposal. Cardonaccum lost too many at Bluestone Tower.”

“That is why,” Talos nodded at the officer in the opposite chair, “Lieutenant Alorius and his century will stay here to augment your garrison.” I caught the startled glance the younger soldier shot his commander. To his credit, Titus schooled his expression back into a neutral cast and avoided my gaze.

“You would give me men and your support,” I said finally. “But exactly what d- do you want from me?”

“Vigilance.” Talos responded. “Cardonaccum straddles the western approach to An Sloc. It is the first pass through the Wrothgarians to open in the spring, and the last one to close in the fall.”

I considered his words. The western access to the Reaches. Talos has many enemies among the Reachmen, especially after that massacre at Sancre Tor. “Aren’t you concerned that I may betray such as you to my kinsmen?” I drained my tea and rose to my feet. “After all, not only did you kill my husband two days ago, but my father and brother died at your hands last winter.”

“That was regrettable,” Talos’s tone held none of that emotion. “But I stand by that decision. Just as I stand by my decision to seek an alliance with you, Lady Cora.” He moved to sit down. “I know you won’t betray me. Lord Wallace has taught you of honor too well.”

I moved to the library table where the teapot rested, surrounded by stacked cups. I refilled my own cup, then paused a moment. If I strike a deal with this man, can I count on the support of his men? Or will he pull them out at the most awkward time and leave me vulnerable? I kept my eyes on the table as I set out three cups and filled them with the tea. Does he want to ally with me because he thinks I’m malleable? Easily swayed? An ignorant barbarian? “Honor?” I repeated, picking up two cups and moving to the chairs where the two men sat.

Titus looked up at me in surprise as I held one to him. He glanced at Talos, who remained impassive. After a moment, Titus accepted the cup but did not drink right away. I turned away from him and held the second cup out to the general. He did not move to take it, and I lifted my brows at him. “D- do you think I would be so foolish to poison you?” My tone became acerbic. “With your l- legions but a few hours’ march away? For all I know, they could already be on the way here. You are more valuable to me alive than dead, General.”

Talos locked gazes with me, then reached to take the clay vessel. “My thanks, Lady Cora. My throat was becoming parched.”

I returned to the table and reclaimed my cup, as well as the last one. Robert accepted it with mild surprise and murmured thanks, and I moved to stand in front of the desk. “Honor, General?” I picked up the conversation. “What do women know of honor?”

“When it comes to honor,” Talos sipped at his tea, “women are just like men. Some understand the concept, others don’t, and still others choose to disregard it.” He met my gaze. “I’d like to think that you understand it and choose not to disregard it.”

I considered him a moment longer. I don’t want to commit to anything without fully understanding its ramifications. And I’m not certain Talos has been entirely forthcoming with me. But his legions are marching on us. He didn’t deny it. “Robert.”

“Yes, milady,” the castellan set his tea down on the desk.

“Escort General Talos and his men to the road. Let them return to their legions.”

Now it was Talos’s turn to show surprise. But he said nothing.

“But milady, you said -“ Robert, unlike Talos, did not keep silent.

“I know I said he was of more value to us alive. But his legions have standing orders.” I locked gazes with Talos. “If I were the General, I would have ordered my men to march on the castle if I did not return alive within a certain period of time.” By the flicker that passed through his hazel eyes, I knew I had guessed right. “I need time. And to get that time, I need to release General Talos.”

“Yes, milady,” Robert bowed curtly to me, then turned to the two soldiers. “You heard Lady Cora, gents. Time to go.”

“Very well,” Talos rose to his feet. “I presume that you will let me know of your decision soon. Perhaps after you have met with Sirs Laird, Rodric and Broc and notified them of your intentions.” He saluted me with the tea. “Thank you for your generous hospitality, Lady Cora.” He set the cup down on the small table between the chairs and turned for the door, Titus on his heels.

A/N: All of the quotations mentioned here are from an actual volume, Sun Tzu's The Art of War. This book is the guiding polestar for all of Lady Cora's strategic and tactical decisions as Lord of Cardonaccum. There are several excellent English translations of this ancient Chinese text which, I'm sure Acadian will verify, is still taught to military officers in leadership school.

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Aug 19 2013, 09:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 18 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

Titus Alorius? You dug deep to get that name!

Lady Cora's nervousness, and that dastardly little stutter that keeps trying worm its way out, are quite understandable. Many people would folded up like a camp chair at the mere sight of the victorious General Talos.

Talos has brought up her quandary? It appears that he knows about the dissension in the ranks. Yep, he does. That damned man is well-informed.

“Lieutenant Alorius and his century will stay here to augment your garrison.”
I saw that coming. And not only will he help Cora remain on the throne, but also help her remember whose ally she is...

And now she wisely sends Talos on his way. Given the inevitability of his army marching on Cardonaccum, that was a good and necessary decision. Now Cora will have to decide what to do about Talos' proposal, and her rebellious servants. I cannot wait to see what happens next!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 18 2013, 09:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 19 2013, 01:51 PM
Post #54

Councilor
Group Icon

Fair dues...Loved your version of Tiber Septim...Fantastic stuff...What I've read in the books of the game, he always comes across less of the Mighty Thor/Odin style, nine feet tall and seven wide sort of thing, rather he's always seemed an average sort of chap who's simply very good at his job... biggrin.gif ...

Absolutely loved the back and to between him and Cora...

And the quotes were excellent...

For something that you described as "Not as epic" at the start...This really is truly something special...

Loving it!!...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds most heartily*...
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 19 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #55

Councilor
Group Icon

I did not have to read far to see his meaning. “In general, as for the armies you want to strike, the cities you want to attack, and the men you want to assassinate, you must first know the names of the defensive commander, his assistants, staff, door guards, and attendants.” Talos returned to his seat and moved to stand behind it, resting his arms on its high back. I regarded him thoughtfully. He’s telling me he has spies within Cardonaccum. Why?

I'm a little surprised he showed her that just before suggesting that some of his men remain as "reinforcements".

And at the end she sends them all away, as I'd have expected. Which may tip the hand of Laird to make his move prematurely?

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 19 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #56

Paladin
Group Icon

Lady Cora struggles valiantly to maintain her composure. And from General Talos’ perspective, I’m sure her success in that regard seemed marginal. To readers however, Cora's internal doubts and challenge to control her stuttering quite endear her to us. She is stronger than she believes and getting stronger.

To deny the General would be to set Cardonaccum and all within to the torch, no doubt. Unless I misread Talos, I expect the offer he makes is genuine and he will make good on any promise he makes. Yet to accept his offer involves risks as well. I imagine she has little choice but to make a deal with Talos, but the devil can be in the details of how she does so. She is wise to manufacture the time she did to form her plans.

Cora sees a valuable lesson in action here: If the manual’s a good one, you may rest assured that any foe worth their salt has read it as well.

Nit: “Just as I stand my my decision to seek an alliance with you, Lady Cora.” - - Of course you meant ‘by’ here instead of the first ‘my’. That said, I'm envious of your tight quality control. The time and care you diligently put into editing each episode of this story really shows. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 25 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

@SageRose: Thanks to Destri and his Interregnum I was able to find a terrific character in Titus Aloris. How can I resist taking on such a mysterious character? According to the Lore, he was one of the few people who reported directly to Emperor Tiber Septim, as Governor of the Reaches. I wanted to explore how he got to such an exalted position, both as governor as well as in Tiber's trust.

@McB: Thanks for your affirmation for this "not-as-epic" story as something truly special! As Lady Cora told me her story, I became fascinated by her ability to build such strong relationships with such a diverse group of people without resorting to sex. In her own small way, she expects and demands respect from those around her. As we shall see, those who don't give her the respect she deserves will meet rather grim consequences.

@ghastley: I think Talos was showing Lady Cora only some of his cards, namely that he is very well-informed and that she shouldn't waste her time trying to deceive him. Her only question is, is he trying to deceive her? As for Laird's reaction, we will see soon enough! (or maybe not soon enough . . . ) wink.gif

@Acadian: First, let me thank you, thank you, thank you for catching that nit! I'm flattered by your evaluation of my writing and editing. To be honest, the first twenty five chapters or so were written during NaNoWriMo and have not been edited all that much (just for typos). Thanks to all the lessons I learned writing OHDH, my writing has improved to the point where my first draft pretty much equals my final draft. While this story is strictly from Lady Cora's perspective, I suspect that General Talos sees first her courage and strength - she doesn't wilt like many a sheltered noble lady, but instead looks him in the eye and challenges him. In turn he is very careful not to underestimate her, as we shall see. wink.gif

Chapter Nine

“I am doing rather well, thank you milady,” Rodric beamed from his chair. The splints were gone today, and pain was less obvious in his features. “Between your potions and Siné’s care, I am well on the mend.”

“Good,” I sat beside the hearth. “I’m certain your wife is happy about it as well.”

“Ach, she is torn between delight at my recovery and worry over our son Torquil.” Rodric waved his hand dismissively. “But I trust you, milady. You’ll not throw him to the wolves just yet, would you?”

“Not until he is capable enough to hold his own,” I answered with a smile. Rodric peered closer at me.

“You’ve made your decision, then.” It wasn’t a question. I merely nodded. “Good.”

Footsteps stomped down the corridor outside Rodric’s door. I rose to face the panel as it was flung back against the wall. Sir Laird held it back as rebounded from the plastered surface. His blue eyes were icy, his face reddened. Sir Broc appeared just behind the older man’s shoulder.

“Is it true?” He glared at me. “You let the prisoners go?”

“Prisoners?” I repeated. “No, they were merely guests. Not honored ones as you or Sir Rodric, but still guests nevertheless.”

His eyes narrowed as his lips pinched white. “Guests?” he roared. “Foolish woman! We had leverage! Now that’s gone!”

“Now, now,” Sir Broc gripped the older knight’s wide shoulder firmly. “I’m certain milady has her reasons and intended well, misguided as her decision may be.” He turned to me and bowed. “But all is not lost. Not yet.”

“Bullcrap!” Laird retorted, shaking Broc off and striding into the room. “This has gone too far!” He stopped before me, forcing me to tip my head back to maintain eye contact. “Lord Wallace should have never married a barefoot Witch from the Reaches! I warned him it would go ill for him. Warned him!” He shook his finger in my face. “And now I warn you, Witch, make another unwise decision, and I’ll boot you out myself!”

“You will?” I forced myself to speak slowly. “With what? I possess the Cirsium and Thistlethorn. I have the right to make the decisions for Cardonaccum, not you.”

“We’ll see how long you can hold this donjon without my men,” Laird grated between his teeth.

Make the decision now. Hold Cardonaccum, or give it up? Accept General Talos’s proposal, or leave my home? All the remaining doubt I had dissolved in the face of Laird’s anger, and fear stimulated my own rage. “I will n- not have unfaithful knights under the b- banner of the Red Thistle,” I kept my voice quiet. “Go ahead and leave, Sir Laird. But l- let me warn you, once you leave this donjon, there is no welcome for you or your sons here for as long as you shall live.”

Surprise warred with anger in his face as Laird spluttered, unable to think of a response. “I will be back!” he said finally. “Whether you welcome me or not, I shall take Cirsium and Thistlethorn for my sons!” He spun on his heel and stalked out of the room, shoving Broc to one side.

The younger knight watched him disappear through the doorway, then moved to close it. He turned to me and bowed again. “Such a pity to lose a strong man like that,” he remarked. “Have you given consideration to my own proposal?”

I forced myself to meet Broc’s gaze. The familiar revulsion raised bile in my throat, but I managed to swallow it back. “You have the same answer as Sir Laird,” I kept my tone even. “I will run C- Cardonaccum as Wallace’s widow, not as a wife to another man.”

The slightest flicker of cold calculation passed through his dark eyes, then Broc bowed again. “I propose a union only after an appropriate mourning period, of course,” he said. “After a year, perhaps, you will be lonely for a man in your bed?”

“Sir Broc!” Rodric’s voice exploded from the chair. “That’s enough of your impertinence!”

Broc’s brows rose at Rodric’s words. “Impertinence? Seems to me that milady rather favors impertinence. After all, she granted audience to General Talos this morning. He certainly was impertinent to her two days ago. And what was his reward? His freedom?” Now he smiled, the smile of the fox in the chicken coop. “If it please milady, I’ll stay. After all, women are entitled to change their minds, aren’t they?”

I considered him a moment longer. He doesn’t see me as being strong enough to fill Wallace’s role. What can I say to shake him of this odious misconception of his? “True, I might ch- change my mind about you, Sir Broc,” I said finally. His eyes gleamed in avarice. “I might d- decide that you do not have any place here at Cardonaccum.” The smile fled his face. “If I do, I’ll escort you to the borders myself and let the Legions take care of you.”

Now his eyes narrowed at me. “What did General Talos say to you?” he demanded. “You would become his doxy?”

“Enough!” Rodric shot to his feet, then wobbled as his injured knee failed him. I caught him in time to ease him back into his chair.

“Be at ease,” I whispered to him. “Let Sir Broc show his t- true colors now.” As he muttered to himself, I straightened up and faced Broc again. “Be careful what you say, Sir Broc,” I warned him. “I can have you executed for speaking of treason.”

“And you haven’t already spoken treason yourself?” Broc’s expression turned serious. “Meeting with the enemy and letting him go, what do you call that?”

“Survival,” I answered simply. We stared at each other for long seconds.

“Milady!” A breathless young boy, clumsy in the leather armor of the thistlemen, burst through the door. He stopped in the center of the room and his eyes scanned the chamber. When his gaze fell on me, he stumbled to stand before me. “Robert sent me -"

“Easy, catch your breath first,” I said, taking his elbow when the youngster wobbled on his feet. When he steadied, I squeezed his arm. “Better?”

“Yes, milady,” he answered. Taking another deep breath, he met my eyes. “General Talos is on the march. The Legions are surrounding the castle!”

“Really?” I asked. The man certainly wasted no time. And what of Laird? Will he leave the safety of the donjon? “Where is Robert?”

“I left him in the bailey,” the boy responded. “I - I think he was heading for the gate towers.”

“Go b- back to him,” I turned him toward the door. “Tell Robert I’ll be along shortly.”

“Yes, milady!” He was gone as quickly as he had arrived.

I turned to look at Broc. Consternation reigned in his face as he considered the implications of the runner’s announcement. “I think this discussion is over, Sir Broc. Are you going to c- call your men to the walls?”

He shook himself and bowed to me. Without a word he was gone in a swirl of purple cloak. Now I returned to Rodric, who was already struggling to rise again. “You need to rest, Sir Rodric,” I said, pressing him back into his chair. “I’ll have your c- captain sent to you for orders.”

He collapsed back with a groan. “Is that all you’ll let me do?” he groaned. “I guess that’s all I’m good for!”

I smiled reassuringly at him, then turned and left the room.

As I made my way down to the great hall, I encountered Padriac, Rodric’s captain, on the stairs. He stepped to the edge to let me by. I stopped a few steps above him so our eyes were level. “Captain,” I brought his attention up to me. “Sir Rodric has need of you.”

“Yes, milady,” he nodded deferentially. “I am already on my way to him.”

“Good,” I leaned against the wall to give him room to pass. “Go, don’t let me d- delay you.” With another bow he was past me without a word.

Instead of running out into the courtyard to join Robert, I ran to the chapel instead. There I had placed Cirsium and Thistlethorn in Arkay’s care. Cirsium is too big and heavy for me, but I can carry Thistlethorn on my back. I will need all the authority I can get.

Onchu appeared out of the shadows as I approached the memorial niche where the names of past Lords were carved. One part of my mind noted the empty tablet that rested at the end of the lowest row. Waiting for Wallace’s name. Ignoring Onchu for the moment, I ran my gaze over the other names already carved: Cedric. Blane. Malcom. Lachlan. Ewan. Please give me your blessings as I try to take Wallace’s place. My hands reached for the great sword resting on its rack beneath the shield.

“What do you think you are doing, Witch?” Onchu’s voice arrested my actions. I glanced over my shoulder at him.

“Cardonaccum is surrounded by the Legions,” I answered more curtly than I intended. “A strong leader is n- needed at this time.”

“Laird is that leader!” Onchu protested, moving to block me from the memorial niche. He gasped in surprise when I shoved him back. As he staggered to keep his balance, I grasped the scabbarded sword and lowered it from its hooks. The leather baldric swung from the sheath as I stepped back. Swiftly I slung it over my left shoulder and turned to face the spluttering priest.

“Arkay is about b- balance, isn’t it?” I asked him. “Well, Wallace and I have balanced each other for a long time. I intend to keep that balance in his memory and honor. And if you t- try to get in my way, you shall find yourself administering to the wild men in some highland kirk.”

As he stared at me in stunned shock, I gathered my long skirts to clear them from my bare feet and ran for the great hall. Thistlethorn bumped against my back, its weight pulling against my left shoulder. The fat priest started after me, but I easily outran him.

When I re-emerged in the great hall, Niall turned from the gathered castle folk. “Milady!” he called to me across the chamber. I detoured my run for the exterior toward him. “What are your orders for us?”

“Get the m- medical supplies ready,” I answered. “And fill every available container with water. If they attack us with incendiaries, we need to be r- ready to put any fires out.” I glanced around at the folk - mostly women, young children and old men. “I will send more orders to you as soon as I’ve made a f- full assessment of the situation.”

“Yes, milady.” Under the circumstances the normally formal Niall gave me a mere nod of acknowledgement instead of his usual deferential bow. I didn’t delay as he turned and began directing his charges. His light tenor voice filled the great hall as I ran for the door.

Captain Padriac was there ahead of me. He saw my approach and paused long enough to hold the great door open for me. I thanked him under my breath as we moved through together. Then we separated, he for his men quartered in the castle barracks, and I for the gate towers.

I hiked up my skirts to my knees and took the steps two at a time. Men have it so much easier, being able to wear trous! If they only knew how much work running in skirts entailed, they’d have more respect for us! I was completely out of breath by the time I reached the top of the walls. Robert turned and caught my gaze. He left the cluster of officers and strode to meet me.

“One of the outposts on the moor behind us reported movement in the hills,” he spoke curtly, falling into step beside me as I headed for the door accessing the upper levels of the nearest gate tower. “Our lookouts saw more movement in the woods down the valley,” he waved toward the road that led down from the castle through the bottom of the steep-sided defile. “I’ve ordered the crick gate lowered, so our moat should fill within a short period of time.”

I nodded. The castle sat astride a small fast-flowing stream that ran down from the Wrothgarians. Its flow was supplemented by a spring that rose within the castle walls and emptied into the channel. It provided a constant source of water for us. While besieging forces could try to dam the stream above the castle, any attempts to deprive us of water would be unsuccessful. And poisoning the stream would not affect us, since part of our defensive ramparts included a dry moat around all four sides of the castle which could be backfilled with water if we dammed the stream above the spring. Because the crick gate was within the bailey, it was inaccessible to the enemy.

Hours of study with Wallace and a tutor he had provided for me in the early years of our marriage had provided me with all the information I needed to make decisions regarding the castle defenses. The crick gate had been a modification added after I pointed out one weakness - that of poisoning our water supply from upstream.

The spring itself rose from the bowels of the donjon, which protected it from contamination from corpses of animals and others catapulted over the walls. Wallace had discussed its inviolability with me. The only way our water supply could be compromised would be from within. As long as we had no agents working for General Talos, we could withstand his forces from within the walls for a prolonged time.

But the things Talos said to me this morning tells me he has ears and eyes within these walls. I’d have to be vigilant for enemy activity within as well as without. Yet I can’t be too paranoid. He wanted me to know he has agents inside my walls - does he want to sow distrust among us? I can’t let it reach that point. Laird and Onchu will be problematic, whether or not they’re working for Talos. If they ever realize just how much Talos knows, they’ll be creating dissent among the castle folk. I can’t let them know. Whom can I trust? Robert? I need his experience and combat knowledge, as I’m not as familiar with tactics as I am with strategy. Rodric? He’s a good man according to Wallace, but not particularly bright when it comes to anything other than combat.

I shook myself from my frantic thoughts and refocused on Robert’s voice. “- and Sir Laird is mobilizing his men.”

“What?” I snapped myself into focus. “M- mobilizing for what?”

“I’m not certain how he knew before the outpost runner came in the gates, but Sir Laird is calling his men together.” Robert peered at me. “Or was that because of something you said?”

A/N: For Julian's fans, I've added a new thread to my sub forum! The first post is up in Life Beyond Main Quest!

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Aug 25 2013, 09:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 26 2013, 02:05 AM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

Well at least Sir Rod is on the mend, that is one piece of good news for Lady Cora.

So here is the expected showdown with Sir Lard. The beginning of it at least. I expect that he will use force to make himself Lord of Cardonaccum, and very soon.

Wow, and Broc is really arrogant enough to follow that display by throwing his own penis in the ring, again. As I expected, Cora cut off his, expectations...

Talos returned rather quickly! Still, I do not think he is going to attack. That would be pointless after his proposal. Unless Lady Cora turns him down. OTOH, if Sir Laird is mobilizing his men, then Lady Cora might just appreciate having that nice young Titus Alorius and his century around.

I would also like to say that I like that your main character is a person with a stutter. That is not something one often sees in fiction, and find it a welcome change. Kazaera and were recently talking about that in fact.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Aug 26 2013, 02:10 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Aug 26 2013, 04:47 AM
Post #59

Knower
Group Icon

I barely get a free moment this past week, and you put up two chapter? Gah, I have to ready my double-comments for Kaz and SubRosa as well. It's gonna be another long week...

Right, let's take this in order.

You have succeeded in an astounding fashion in showing just how much awesomesauce can be collected from the mere sweat of Talos Stormcrown. (Wait for it.) The man inhales the surrounding and exhales leadership and change and his own reality. Which, given that Thu'um is literally one's ability to shout reality into a more pleasing form, is about right.

He's educated, he's prepared, he's brilliant, and he knows how to appeal to honor and reason without coming across as a phony. Oh, and he's polite to a fault and witty with his remarks about thirst. I find his entire presence awe-inspiring, and would devote this entire post to him but for one fact.

Cora holds her own, like a waking she-wolf. (Stupid censorship would filter out boss-b^!#&)

Seriously, I am becoming more impressed with her with every entry you put up. Cora doesn't let on just how much she understands about the good general's literary references, but is clearly working through each phrase to understand just what Talos is telling her without actually saying. She keeps up in their little dance like a trained ballerina, and manages to both mollify and delay her guest.

And then she shows that she knows what Talos knows what she knows by letting him go since they both know the Legion has its orders.

Which brings us to the new installment. Laird declares his open rebellion, and Broc schemes. Poorly, at that.

But that's not important. What is important is that the Legions are coming, the Legions are Coming! By land, this time, so one lantern in the bell tower. Cora clearly understands the mantle of leadership, as her first thoughts and race to the chapel reflect. You do this part so well (I would have preferred to see the priest of Arkay undergo a much more personal experience with his god, but then again there's always next time) and there's not much I can add.

I do want to ask, however, just how heavy is that sword? Are we talking William Wallace levels of brawny might here?

Robert peered at me. “Or was that because of something you said?”

That's just hilarious. A good way to end it. Robert is clearly now suspicious of something. Don't hope it's too much to ask that he's armed with a longbow by chance?

Now. DRAGON OF THE NORTH!!! (What, thought I'd forgotten?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Aug 26 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

Excellent chapter!!... biggrin.gif ...

Loved the way Cora deflected all of her annoyances...Brilliantly done...

I thought that bit in the chapel with Onchu was brilliant... biggrin.gif ...

So, Talos turns up just in time so it seems...

Help or hindrance?...We shall see...

Brilliant stuff...

Nicely done...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:33 AM