Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NaNoWriMo 2015, What? It's not too early!
Grits
post Mar 4 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Is anyone else planning to do Aprils Camp NaNoWriMo? Im deciding between a short story and another Jerrics Story chapter, leaning heavily toward the new chapter. My goal is 25k, which I think is pretty reasonable.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 5 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I might give this a stab. I'm going to go for 10,000 words for this, simply due to time contraints and lack of willpower and energy, but I'm giving it a shot. Going to try and take another go at Riven, the story I started for NaNoWriMo and see if I can actually get anywhere with it.

If you're stuck for what to do, I'd say go for the new Jerric chapter, though I may be biased on this subject as I just really enjoy Jerric's story tongue.gif
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 5 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

I may be thinking of doing this too, since I have to restart writing Cardonaccum. Lady Cora is getting quite impatient with my battle with Oblivion!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Mar 6 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

I'll be jumping in on it, continuing what I restarted. Provided I can just get my obsessive side to chill a little(or at least bully my creative side into organising its notes so I can find things).

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 7 2015, 02:01 AM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

I always say that I'm in and then I promptly contract a convenient case of writer's block. This year I plan to not participate to see if the reverse is true.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 10 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, more campers, maybe campers, and one not-a-camper! biggrin.gif I like the relaxed approach to the camps. This is my first one, and I am more excited about my new chapter than I have been about either of my November projects. (Thanks Colonel, after about two seconds of deliberation Im going with Jerric's Story. smile.gif )

haute, I hope you get a chance to bring us some more Lady Cora!!

I got connected with a local group, and Im meeting some of them tonight. Woo!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 1 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

I just had a mysterious urge to organize all of my apples by variety and ripeness. Then it hit me. Its the first day of camp!! ReadysetGO!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Apr 1 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #8

Finder
Group Icon

Whee!

Late entry, but I think I'll give this a shot - am going to try for 20k words of Sleeper in the Cave. It's beginning to frighten me how little progress I'm making on Adryn's overarching plot. I really would like to finish her story one day... at least finish book one!

Happy writing, everyone! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 2 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, Kaz! Go Adryn! Thats great to hear. biggrin.gif

I got the draft of my next Jerric update done yesterday. The ROUGH draft, lol. I need a couple more drafted before I can go back and rewrite, but day 1 was what I hoped it would be.

Now for day 2 Coffee pot! Candy snacks! Nope. Er grapes! Go!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 2 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm gonna have to leave it until monday to get started on this. Right now my head's kinda fuzzy owing to a sleep deficit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Apr 3 2015, 03:46 AM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

I never got around this. Mostly because of lack of time and ideas. But I've always wanted to try.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 3 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

DE, a camp is a good place to give it a try. It's a much more relaxed event than the November novel marathon. There's another camp event coming in July if you don't want to jump into this one. There are people in my cabin writing screenplays, short stories, re-writing things, continuing projects like I am doing, one person is writing a poem every day, and of course there are a handful of new novels as well. Oh, and one lady is writing a series of daily devotionals. Anyway there's a lot of fun energy because folks love their projects.

My NaNo name is Denelle if anyone wants me as a buddy. (Named after my Breton archer Denelle Jeline. Jensa was taken.) I'm relentlessly cheerful. You have been warned. tongue.gif

Callidus, I hope you get some sleep! I tried to go off antihistamines to improve my brain for a month, but April in the south is a bad time to try that. I lasted about 30 minutes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 8 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, still suffering from a shortage of sleep, though I've no idea why. Managed to get a couple of hundred words down today, at least it's something.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 8 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #14

Councilor
Group Icon

Woo! Thats a couple hundred more than you had yesterday. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Apr 14 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #15

Finder
Group Icon

Well, halfway through April and 5.5k words... it seems I may have overreached myself a little with 20k. To be fair, I've ended up sort of unexpectedly super-busy (my schedule for the rest of this week makes me want to cry) but still. I may just decide to shoot for 10k instead of 20k.

Also, I am getting suddenly sidetracked by a character who's suddenly popping up in my head demanding I write about him. I'm really tempted to go for a short story featuring him but a) I really do want to focus on SitC sad.gif and b ) knowing my ability to estimate story lengths the "short story" will end up a novel. I am not even joking here. (My ability to estimate how long a given piece will be is consistently off by a factor of five to ten. If I think I can manage something in 100 words, I'll probably need close to a thousand. If I think something will be 1k words, it's more likely to be in the 8-10k length. Since my gut feeling about this piece is "oh, maybe 10k words"... well.)

This post has been edited by Kazaera: Apr 14 2015, 08:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 15 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

I love the flexibility of camp. Changing gears or exploring something unexpected is part of the fun, and every word is progress. smile.gif

I need to spend tomorrow editing my next Jerric update and then give it a cooling-off period. Im a little behind on my wordcount goal, but Im happy with how its going so far.

Added: I forgot to say that with my November NaNo novel the 50,000 word goal got me maaaybe a quarter of the way through the plot outline and not even to the very first action scene. I know how it goes when everything takes longer to say than you planned! panic.gif

This post has been edited by Grits: Apr 15 2015, 05:22 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 16 2015, 02:52 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

Urgh. Battling mental inertia all the way. We're having a sort of heatwave here in the UK, so it's already warmer than I'd like. Managed to get about 500 words down in about half an hour though, so that's something.

Problem is, that it's a scene I didn't actually plan, with a character who just turned up and stepped into the story, so it's somewhat vague in my head as to how it's supposed to go. At this point it just sort of goes a little bit, then grinds to a halt. And it's kind of an important scene, that sets up for others, so it's starting to piss me off a little. sad.gif

I'm also wondering if I should count the scenes I've done in november but plan to rewrite in my running total. I'm going to rewrite them at some point, but there are bits of them I plan to use.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Apr 16 2015, 02:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 21 2015, 11:45 AM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Hows this week going, Callidus? Id say arrange and count your words whatever way works best for you. I know a handful of people who are doing rewrites and edits. Their goals are the number of words they get through, not just the number of new words they add. Thats what I like best about camp. Flexibility over rules. That and some of the people in my cabin are awesome. I lucked out with some folks who have great attitudes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Apr 21 2015, 12:38 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Kind of mixed so far. Sal and Tarvyn Dralor are demanding some written attention, but at least that means I'm in the mood for writing a lot more.

I think I'll count those scenes. I'm probably going to end up rewriting just about everything anyway, so if nothing else they'll serve as placeholders and guides for the rewrite, and near enough doubles my word count. My cabin's kind of meh though, not much going on with it. Only a few say anything, one's not even writing at all, and the only thing being discussed is favourite books. But I'm not all that sociable anyway *shrugs*

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 25 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

My cabin is in a competition with another cabin of locals, and its getting pretty heated (in a friendly way). My cabin has a slight lead if Im interpreting comments made by the other cabin correctly, or perhaps theyre messing with us. At stake is a cake party at one of our write-ins. Although everyone will get cake, it will surely taste sweeter to the victors.

Theres one person in my cabin who set a goal of 80,000 words and hasnt been heard from since. Shes writing a screenplay. My guess is drama queen will swoop in and update her wordcount at the last minute, giving us a giant spike on April 30. Or maybe she forgot about us. Time will tell.

I got ahead in the last couple of days knowing that free time would be limited this weekend. It just really takes me a long time to write things. Sigh.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:51 PM