13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seven, An Aela & Ungarion Prequel
ghastley
post Jul 5 2013, 03:59 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Having taken a look back at the "source material" I see that you've set yourself a problem by having the recruitment start with two, so you can't just translate the action into Tamriel terms. So it's going to be difficult for us to match up your adventurers to the samurai or gunslingers from the movies. Which is good, because you have more freedom to create characters of your own in the context of the set-piece scenario.

Ungarion and Do'Sakhar have clearly met before, and agreed to differ. They should make for interesting dialog later, too.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post Jul 6 2013, 01:07 AM
Post #22

Finder
Group Icon

Another great installment. The world building is excellent. You gave Bravil some real personality, from the street food stand to The Lonely Suitor. Aela and Ungarion are quite the pair. The quips back and forth flow so naturally.

I like Ungarion's "take charge" style, first agreeing to take the work, then showing their new employers how to recruit help.

Enter Do'Sakhar with an excellent description of the Khajiit. You made it very easy to visualize him. On a side note, where is that screenie of the armor from?

"Oh I am sure he is far too busy," Ungarion waved one hand in dismissal. "Coughing up hairballs, treating mange, a cat's work is never done."
This was priceless! And it spoke volumes about the relationship between the Ungarion and Do'Sakhar.

Great write! goodjob.gif

--------------------
A Question of Fate is my Skyrim Fic
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 6 2013, 05:02 AM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

I’m so hungry now. Gah. First line. laugh.gif

Ungarion thinks he can take on forty? "Aela and I have discussed it, and we are with you."
rollinglaugh.gif He uses the term discuss loosely.

I’m really enjoying Ungarion. He’s made the rounds to all the shops and now he’s settling into a nasty bar. As a smuggler, this is probably all familiar territory and he’s got the street smarts to hang around in such a place and the charm to negotiate with a well-to-do buyer.

Do'Sakhar’s teasing was enjoyable. Holy crap he agreed to go without knowing any details! He’ll be reconsidering when he heard the odds and the pay!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 6 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #24

Paladin
Group Icon

Nice logic as to why the FG would turn down the villagers, though it was a good idea for them to look into. Hoping a provincial count would send forces cross border was clearly a nonstarter – but the mud farmers of course wouldn’t know that. Ungarion’s ideas to garner assistance were wiser and grounded in experience. His shady dealings no doubt will serve him well here.

I see Aela knows the Bloom spell!

"So how do these ones separate the good rice from the husks?" Hathei asked.’ - - What a perfectly delightful metaphor for a rice farmer!

"Who serves wine in a mug?" Ungarion shook his head as he started down at his drink. "Anyway, as I was saying, we need to be choosy…" - - I love the irony you quietly snuck in here - and I see Aela noticed this also. We can only hope that the tavern’s selection of cutthroats surpasses its beverages.

Wise to avoid Kurdan, methinks. I figure his. . . negotiating style is very different than Ungarion's. Oh, a cat from Aela’s past joins them! Looks like they have the first of their gang! So it seems we may be up to the Magnificent Three! tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Kazaera
post Jul 6 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #25

Finder
Group Icon

OMG it's Aela it's a story with Aela!! *sits down eagerly and waits for more AELA!!*

Ahem.

Aela munched on a hot piada filled with grilled chicken, diced tomatoes, cheese strips, and bursting with extra flavor thanks to a sprinkling of basil. It was far too good for street fare, and she vowed to return to this hot food stand whenever she was in Bravil.

...I just gorged myself on fresh home-made bread and now you have made me hungry again! How do you do that!

I love the way Aela and Ungarion interact! And it seems like despite Aela's best attempts at providing common sense, she gets drawn into his plans anyway. (Forty bandits? No problem!) I also really enjoy the discussion about who to/not to hire, why the Fighter's Guild wouldn't go for it, etc.

The Lonely Suitor Lodge was a wooden scar rising three stories into Bravil's skyline.

This is a beautiful piece of description - er, beautiful in the writing-technical sense, not in the mental image it invokes! tongue.gif And then contrast the run-down nature of the tavern with Ungarion's comments about needing to be choosy! laugh.gif

"Oh I am sure he is far too busy," Ungarion waved one hand in dismissal. "Coughing up hairballs, treating mange, a cat's work is never done."

rollinglaugh.gif I look forward to seeing more of the Do'Sakhar and Ungarion show, because their interactions promise to be a thing of beauty!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 7 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

I see that Bravil has not - uhm - deteriorated that much between this story and the time of the Crisis. biggrin.gif

But I recognize a different Count, not our dear former Arena Champion. Makes me wonder how he got there (and when!).

Loved meeting Do'sakhar. Ironic, but I wrote a Khajiit into my story months ago with almost the exact same name. Great minds think alike, huh?

Like others have said, I really enjoyed the interchange between Ungarion and Do'sakhar. It really goes a long way to show the nature of their relationship and their attitudes toward each other.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 12 2013, 07:41 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

ghastley: Most of the Seven do not translate directly to the characters from Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven. Something which I am glad for, since it gives Seven a bit of uinqueness. Only two characters really copy over, one of whom we will meet this installment. My primary motivation for the others comes from Aela's background, which she spoke of in The Witch of Bawnwatch Island in the TF. If you reread that, you will find that the most of the Seven were mentioned.

ThatSkyrimGuy: I think that armor pic came from Wikipedia. I did a lot of searching for Japanese armor. That pic was the best one showing lamellar armor with numerous small pieces, rather than fewer large pieces.

Aela feels most comfortable around Ungarion, so it is around him that she can feel free to be the most herself. Hence all the little jokes between them. I have always liked writing the two of them together. They each complement the other very well.

King Coin: Ungarion does use discuss pretty liberally! biggrin.gif That is part of what makes him such a fun character. He is liable to do just about anything.

Do'Sakhar is an old friend, so he is in it just because of his friendship. Besides, no one is going to do it for the pay! laugh.gif

Acadian:Ungarion and Aela have definitely done this sort of thing before. Since Ungy is the wheeler and dealer of the pair, naturally he would step up and take charge of the recruitment drive.

I could not resist the wine in the mug and choosy comments. They added so much color to not only the scene, but AUs relationship. Kurdan was also one I was glad to insert into this story, it being a prequel. He is a well-known quantity to those who have read the TF, and tells us a lot about what kind of place the Suitor is.

Kazaera: That is funny, because when you wrote that, I was making home-made calzones!

Sometimes when it comes to Ungarion, no amount of common sense can make a dent! That is one of the things I like about him. You never know what he might do next!

I was not planning Ungarion and Do'Sakhar to be sniping at one another all the time. It just came that way the moment Do'Sakhar walked into the tavern, so I rolled with it. I enjoyed it just as much as everyone else has, so I kept it that way.

haute ecole rider: Remember, in the TF the counts/countesses are not hereditary monarchs, but patricians appointed to their roles by the Elder Council for set terms, like Roman propraetors or proconsuls were appointed to Roman provinces. Domitianus is just the guy who had the job before Terentius is all. It is one of the things I tried to use to show that this is set in a different time than the TF.

Wow, that is a coincidence with the name! I got the name Do'Sakhar from the UESP Wiki's page on Khajiit names. I think I picked the prefix 'Do' because it said that meant a warrior. The suffix was just from a name I picked out of the list. It just sounded good together.

Like I said to Kaz, I was not really planning on Do'Sakhar and Ungarion snipping at one another constantly, but I do love how it adds color to their relationship. Like you said, it shows us a lot about them both.

Previously On Seven: Our last episode found Aela and Ungarion back in Bravil, where they ran into the four Agrigentans once more, failing miserably at hiring mercenaries. Ungarion took pity upon them, and not only volunteered himself and Aela for the job, but he also took over the task of recruiting more fighters. Soon his efforts bore fruit, as an old Khajiit friend of AUs named Do'Sakhar joined up.

Chapter 1.3

"Are you sure it was Nashira you saw?" Ungarion did not conceal the doubt in his voice. "I know everyone without fur looks alike to you cats."

"Perhaps if one stopped looking down his long Altmer nose at everyone else, he might see what is plainly in front of his eyes," Do'Sakhar replied coolly.

"So how long have those two been married?" Ulpia whispered into Aela's ear.

Aela barely resisted the urge to giggle. "Almost two years now," she managed to get out with a nearly straight face. "We first ran into Do'Sakhar while exploring the Arimer ruins beneath the Imperial City. Our paths have crossed off and on since. He's a good friend."

"Who is this one Nashira?" Hathei asked. Like the rest, they followed Do'Sakhar and Ungarion down Riverwalk. Shops and warehouses lined the streets to either side of them, with more of the latter to their right, where Bravil's interior river and its docks lay just beyond the buildings.

"Who is Nashira?" Ungarion repeated aloud. "Why only one of the finest swordswomen alive. They say she has killed at least sixty people in duels, perhaps more."

"Aye, for once this one speaks faultless. Truly an event worthy of remark," Do'Sakhar said. "Nashira is a sword-saint. Some say that one can even create the spirit sword of her race's ancestors."

"And shoot lightning bolts from her rear no doubt," Aela said dryly.

They paused as the road came to an end. To their right a bridge led across the city's internal river to Castle Isle beyond. But they turned left instead, and made their way north along Silver Avenue.

"Do not scoff until you see that one in action," Do'Sakhar admonished. "This one has never witnessed a finer swordfighter."

"I'm just saying don't build your expectations up so high that no one can live up to them," Aela explained. "I'm sure she still puts her hose on one leg at a time, like the rest of us."

"Perhaps we shall see just that," Ungarion said as they passed the Fighters Guild. "Silverhome On The Water is just ahead. If the cat is right - for once - she will be within."

"Or perhaps without?" Ulpia said as they approached the elegant inn. "What is that crowd up there?"

Led by Ungarion and Do'Sakhar, the group moved through the crowd that had gathered outside the inn, almost completely blocking the traffic on the thoroughfare. Aela squirmed her way through with the others, and finally got a look at what was going on.

Standing in the street was a Redguard woman wearing red and brown. She was in her middle-years, and wore her raven-black hair back in a braid behind her head. A long, gently curved scimitar of Dwemer steel hung from her hip. However, it was a stick that she held in one hand, rather than a weapon.

screenshot

Standing before her was an Imperial clad in mail. He towered at least a head higher than the Redguard, and likewise gripped a length of wood in his fist. Aela imagined it might have been a limb from a small tree, which had been cut off and denuded of its leaves.

"That is Nashira indeed," Ungarion said. "I saw her in the Arena once."

The crowd was silent as the two stared at one another. The Imperial took up his stick with both hands, and held it over his head so that the tip pointed up and away behind him. Even though she knew little of longswording, Aela recognized that stance as the Roof. Given that the Imperial knew enough to use it, it was plain that he was a formally trained fighter.

The Redguard calmly swept her stick back behind one hip, its tip low to the ground. While it made her appear to be undefended, Aela likewise knew that as the Near Ward stance. Clearly, both of them were experienced swordfighters.

The Imperial bellowed like a bull, and crossed the distance between them in a flash. He brought his stick down at Nashira's head. But the Redguard was not idle. Her weapon swept forward and whacked against the Imperial's thick neck muscles. Perhaps at the same moment, his stick smacked down upon her head. It was all so quick, that Aela had trouble telling just who struck first.

The crowd gasped, and let out a collective sigh before beginning to chatter in many voices. Aela easily heard the rumbling of the Imperial over them all however.

"A tie then," he said, almost ruefully. "We will never know."

"No," Nashira said plainly. "You lost."

The crowd grew silent once more as the two stared at one another. The Imperial's face grew red, and his lip curled up in a snarl.

"I did not!" he insisted.

The Redguard stared impassively back at him. "You did," was all she said. Then she tossed her stick aside and turned to leave.

"Don't you walk away from me!" the Imperial growled. His hand went to the arming sword at his hip, and bared its blade in the late afternoon sun.

Nashira stopped and turned back to him. She eyed him intently, then filled her hand with steel as well.

Like the others in the crowd, Aela held her breath as she looked on. They were really going to do it! She never once thought of trying to step in to stop the pair. She had no idea what the history between them might be. Or what either of them would be willing to do. She was certainly not going to get a blade stuck in her back by some stranger in the street.

As before, the Imperial brought his sword up above his head, tip pointed backward. Nashira swept hers back behind her, point low to the ground. Again he charged, and again she countered. The entire scene took only the blink of an eye to play out. This time however, the Imperial's head flew from his body, even as his skin frosted over with ice. A moment later his partly frozen corpse fell to the cobblestones.

The Redguard stood by impassively, and wiped her scimitar clean with a small cloth. Even as far away as she stood, Aela could now feel the magicka pulsing within the enchanted sword. Barafu was the name it announced itself as. 'Ice' if Aela recalled her Yoku correctly. The feeling of power gradually subsided as the warrior slid the weapon back into its sheath, and its frost enchantment grew quiescent once more.

The crowd roared in excitement, and Aela remembered to breathe. She lost track of the others in the bustle around her, and for once she wished for the height of an Altmer. She pushed and squirmed through the mass of humanity, looking for Ungarion's dark red locks above the heads of the others around her.

After several minutes of being pushed and jostled, finally the crowd began to break up. Aela soon found the reason why. The Bravil City Guard had arrived, and was shoving everyone back with their kite-shaped shields. Aela caught a glimpse of the soldiers encircling Nashira. Rather than fight them, the Redguard woman calmly accompanied the guardsmen toward the castle.

"Well, that was exciting, if fruitless," Do'Sakhar's raspy voice nearly made Aela jump. Turning, she found the Khajiit warrior standing right beside her.

"Do'Sakhar!" she cried, holding one hand to her heart. "One of these days you're going to scare me to death."

"Apologies goodwoman," the tiger-striped feline bowed his head. Then he looked up and smiled. "But you know what they say: Khajiit like to sneak."

"I thought they liked to sleep?"

Ungarion appeared from the thinning crowd, with the four Agrigentans in tow.

"Thinking is not an activity this one associates with certain butter elves," Do'Sakhar replied dryly.

"So did you talk with Nashira before the guard took her away?" Aela asked, before Ungarion could sling a verbal fireball back at the Khajiit.

"I did," the high elf shook his head. "But to no avail. She is not interested in questing, or fame, or coin. The only thing she cares about is perfecting her art. I imagine that the City Guard will keep her for questioning for a while before they release her. One thing the law always loves to do is talk. If they were smart, they would take lessons instead."

"That was horrible," Ulpia said. "How can people just casually slay one another in the middle of the street! What kind of city is this?"

"As opposed to the finely cultured capital of Tamriel, where they do it in an Arena instead?" Aela observed. "Or in the alleys, where they stab one another in the back for scraps?"

"Or on rice farms, where they do it for sport," Rullianus spat. His eyes glowed with a fervor that Aela had seen all too often. He had lost someone dear to him. To the Nagas no doubt.

"Not if we have anything to say about it." Ungarion declared.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 13 2013, 03:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 12 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #28

Paladin
Group Icon

"And shoot lightning bolts from her rear no doubt," Aela said dryly.’ - - Just like William Wallace! biggrin.gif

A tame street display unexpectedly turns deadly as Nashira is provoked into fully demonstrating her icy blade skill. Quite an introduction! She looks fabulous in the screenshot.

"But you know what they say: Khajiit like to sneak." - - Curses! Now I can’t get that song out of my head! Following it with the ‘like to sleep’ retort was priceless.

Hmm, seems like it’s going to take some talking to recruit the sword saint. But if anyone can do it, that would be the tongue saint himself, Ungarion. tongue.gif We like to tease the butter elf but, as he clearly displays at the end of this scene, he does have a noble streak. I well and truly believe that he has bought into the cause of these rice farmers - at least to a degree.

Nits?

- "Do not scoff until you see that one action," Do'Sakhar admonished.’ - - I know this is dialogue, but would Do’Sakhar prefer to insert the word ‘in’ before ‘action’?

- Even though she little of longswording, ...' - - I suspect you want to add the word ‘knew’ right after ‘she’.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 12 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Nashira is certainly my kind of heroine! tongue.gif She certainly made her point there. Yup, bad pun intended.

I knew she was going to be Redguard as soon as I read this:
"Nashira is a sword-saint. Some say that one can even create the spirit sword of her race's ancestors."
That's something Julian never got to learn!

As for Do'sakhar's name, that's exactly how I came by mine! We were definitely looking at the same wiki page there!

I did remember that count/tesses did not come by their roles by inheritance in your fiction. I just wondered how Terentius ended up in Bravil. I love these kinds of breadcrumbs that hint at more stories beyond the one you're telling. It makes the world seem more real. IRL, we never get to know all the stories of all the people around us, and we never will. So dropping little hints and pieces like Count Domitianus just adds to the depth of this story.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jul 13 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

I am totally new to the Aela stories but I'd love to learn more. I hope this story puts me in the right path.

I see why your stories are loved. You're a great writer, and much of this is shown in the descriptions and world building you put in.

I see Aela does have certain odd things about her, such as the adam's apple(I'm not sure if this can be added in ES universe. She certainly must feel a bit self-conscious, no? She looks good to me still.

Ungarion and Aela are certainly quite the pair! I would love to see them in action together. They certainly seem like the mages that can pack a punch.

Of course, they had to turn the loot in for coin before even thinking of taking on another task. I understand their decision here.

The flow of the conversation between the two is excellent and I love the description of that big-ass Nord that nearly slapped Stalks-The-Marshes. Speaking of the Argonian, I do feel bad his search was to the lows of Bravil where there are nothing but murderers, thieves and deadbeats and skooma addicts. Though among them, who knows there might be someone who's up for the task? Certainly the expenses would be too much though and I love that you covered that here.

Do'Sakhar! Clever fellow with a bit of friendly-offensive banther against High Elves. The stick of butter comment had me chuckling.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.â€
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 14 2013, 12:15 AM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

OK, I've done the homework you set, (36.2 on page 73 if anyone else wants to go back there) and I'll wait patiently for the other three to come in.

Liked the "kendo" turning into swordplay. And the ice enchantment would stop the blood splashing everywhere, which is a thoughtful nicety.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post Jul 14 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #32

Finder
Group Icon

So we find the group in pursuit of another recruit. The relationship between Ungarion and Do'Sakhar continues to be entertaining. I love the way he keeps interjecting examples of the way house cats behave to poke jibes at the Khajiit. Last time it was furballs and preening, and this time the quip about always sleeping. Being a cat owner, these comments just tickle me.

We encounter Rashira, a Redguard Sword-Saint, as a possible recruit. I was amazed at how much Bravil looks like Whiterun in the screenshot. tongue.gif But seriously, she looks like a tough little cookie. Too bad the Imperial was such a sore loser at swinging brands, which led to his demise when actual steel was swung. Your description of the effects of a frost enchanted weapon were nicely done.

Loving this story so far and looking forward to more. goodjob.gif

--------------------
A Question of Fate is my Skyrim Fic
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 15 2013, 12:10 AM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Heh, I do not think the Imperial in the street lost the stick duel. Being dead is not a ‘win’ in anyone’s book. I’d have to say tie as well. The real duel on the other hand… Wonder if she wanted to goad him into drawing his steel.

Khajiit like to sleep! laugh.gif

Now all they have to do is convince Nashira that 40 bandits is just what she needs to perfect her sword skill.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 15 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

You won't believe this, Seven Samurai is on TV tonight! It just started (3 am). I hope to be able to stay up and watch it. I promise I am getting back here, did have a bit of extra free time the last two days that I should have, and got tied up on the RP. embarrased.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 16 2013, 03:56 AM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

This story is a treat to read, SubRosa. I settled in for a nice evening with Aela and Ungarion so I could enjoy the whole story so far. The dialog delights, and I couldn’t pick a favorite setting from what we’ve seen so far because I like each one so much.

I just love Aela and Ungarion together. Aela’s wry thoughts about Ungarion keep me smiling. Their history and affection for one another doesn’t have to be spelled out to show.

Btw, now I’m starving. Gaah, I need Bravilian street food!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 19 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

Acadian: Someone caught my Braveheart reference! smile.gif

Every time I hear that Khajiit song I think "Likes to sleep", thanks to my own Alfiq.

I think it is safe to say that Ungarion has indeed bought into the cause of the Agrigentans. Given his flair for the dramatic, how can Ungarion resist fighting the good fight, against impossible odds?

haute ecole rider: When I was working on the kensai's race, Redguard just naturally rose to the top of the list given their reputation as warriors, and especially their race's ancient power of creating the spirit sword. But that is not to say that Nashira can actually create one. That is just what some people say. Like the lightning bolts from the rear end, it might be a good idea to take that with a grain of salt. wink.gif

Darkness Eternal: There really is no Aela Fic. Until now at least. She appears in the Teresa fic as a supporting character in several chapters. Her first sighting was during the Tournament of Archers, but that was so brief that I do not think she even had any dialogue. She had a big spotlight in The Witch of Bawnwatch Island, and then finally reappeared again as a member of Methredhel's Eleven in the most recent chapter of the TF.

I have really enjoyed writing the characters in this story. They are a lot of fun, especially Aela and Ungarion when they are together. Do'Sakhar and Ungarion are also a treat to write. I actually got the 'butter elf' term from the Bethesda forum, where it seems to be pretty popular.

ghastley: Yay, someone did the assigned homework! You get an A. biggrin.gif We will be seeing another one of Aela's old/new gang turning up this episode. In fact, anyone who wants to do more homework can find her in the Battle of Bruma chapter of the TF.

ThatSkyrimGuy: I have a cat too, so Ungarion's feline-centric jibes come very easily!

I am amazed at the similarities between Bravil and Whiterun too! biggrin.gif Who would have guessed that Whiterun was built by Bravilians. wink.gif Nashira is indeed a tough cookie. The most deadly member of the Seven in fact. She is in a completely different league from everyone else.

King Coin: The Imperial lost the stick duel. It was all just too fast for Aela to tell who really won. She might know a little bit about longswording from being around sword fighters for years, but at the end of the day she is a mage, and she is not used to watching movements that fast.

That is not to say that Nashira was diplomatic about it. She could certainly have just shrugged her shoulders and walked away. She did not have to rub the guys loss into his face. But that is the kind of person Nashira is, blunt to the point of it being goading.

That scene was actually taken directly from the Seven Samurai, right down to the stances and attacks by each. Which is really interesting, because those are two of the standard stances of Medieval longswording. So either Akira Kurosawa was a guru of Western longswording in the 1950's (long before longswording had been rediscovered in the West by recreationists), or Japanese sword fighting mirrors Western, at least in some respects. I expect the latter, since you face the same issues in attack and defense no matter where you are.

mALX: At 3am! That is a long movie to be watching at that time of night. Did you make it through without falling asleep? I do not think I could have stayed awake.

Grits: One of the reasons I put the TF on hiatus for a little while was because writing A&U together is so much fun! Like you said, that history and affection they share really makes them a joy to write.

I would love some of those piada's too! I found them in a list of ancient Roman food, so decided to throw them in. Now I need to find a place around here that makes them!

Previously On Seven: Our last episode saw the gang attempting to recruit Nashira - a Redguard swordswoman who is reputed to be one of the finest sword-fighters in the world. Before they could speak to her, they had a demonstration of her skill. She fought an Imperial in a duel in the street, first with only sticks, but then it escalated to using real swords. She killed him in a second's time. Before we went to answer the City Guard's questions about it, Ungarion did have the chance to ask her to join. She turned him down, saying that she was only interested in perfecting her skill.

Chapter 1.4

"Trump, and rubber," Ungarion crowed as he laid down his last card upon the table. Rullianus and Hathei groaned as they stared at the cards in the pot.

Stalks-The-Marshes grinned at Ungarion, revealing a mouth full of fangs. "Perhaps these ones should play some of the others in here for coin. They might earn enough to hire an entire legion before nightfall."

"Or get those one's throats slit," Do'Sakhar observed from his seat beside Aela. "Many in a place such as this take offense at losing."

"Yes, that is the problem with gambling for a living." Ungarion shocked Aela by actually agreeing with the Khajiit. "The better you are at it, the more likely you will need to be a good fighter. Rather defeats the purpose of trying to make a living without killing people."

The opened front door caught Aela's eye, as did the unusual sight that walked through it. The newcomer was an Altmer clad in the armor of her people: a panoply of amber mail overlaid with golden bands shaped like slender leaves. A strung Valenwood bow was stored in the gorytos at her hip, and the amber-hued hilt of an elven greatsword rose from over one of her shoulders.

Her hair was spun gold, and pulled back into a Daggerfall braid: a single plait beginning at the crown of her head and falling down below her shoulder-blades. Aela had always loved that look, along with the Wayrest braids: the two plaits that framed the face and ran back to join together in a single braid at the nape of the neck.

The high elf took a moment to casually slide her long, slender fingers across her locks, as if to smooth them out. Yet not a single hair from her long mane was out of place. Aela wished that she could make her hair look like that, let alone stay that way, and wondered how the other woman accomplished such an amazing feat?

The newcomer stood in the doorway and scanned the crowd. Then her eyes met Aela's. She stared for a moment, then the Breton recognized the look of discovery upon the elf's face. The Altmer had seen through her female presentation. But rather than sneering, or laughing, the elf's features seemed to glow with reverence.

The new arrival strode purposely across the room to the pair of corner tables where their group sat. The others looked up as she approached, and Ungarion set down the deck of cards before him. The archer ignored them all however, and remained focused upon Aela.

The Breton Witch felt the magic resonating within the elf's gear as she stepped near. To start with, she could tell that her composite bow was named Sercedin, or 'The Silencer Of Blood' in the Imperial tongue. Thanks to her experience with magical gear, Aela knew that its enchantment would cause harm to any living thing, not through elemental energies, but rather in the opposite manner of how healing magic would repair damage to living flesh.

The Valenwood bow was just the beginning however. The Altmer's armor was named Belthele, 'Strong Sister', and was enchanted to not only protect her wearer from all forms of elemental harm, but also to increase her strength. Finally her greatsword proclaimed itself as Canrais, or 'Sunder', and Aela could feel that its magic was woven to shatter any armor that it came against.

Aela glanced over to Ungarion. He nodded back at her. Clearly the other mage had sensed the same power in the elf's gear that she had. If that magic were not enough, the newcomer had the hard set to her frame, the swagger in her walk, and the flinty look in her golden eyes that said she was a killer.

"My name is Seridwe," the high elf declared. "I am told you are looking for fighters?"

"What makes you think that?" Ungarion raised his fingers into a steeple before his chin.

"Daenlin told me, at the Archer's Paradox," the archer said. Seridwe paused to glance at Ungarion, then turned back to Aela. "He said two mages - an Altmer and a Breton - were looking for extra hands on a long term contract."

"We are," Aela admitted. She was beginning to find the tall woman's gaze more than a little strange. What was Seridwe so intrigued by, in herself of all people?

"Then I shall join," Seridwe declared. "When do we begin?"

"This one is eager!" Do'Sakhar exclaimed. "Don't you even want to know what the opposition is, or the pay?"

"It doesn't matter," Seridwe said. "If an ardhanari is involved, I know it's going to be extraordinary."

"An ardha-what?" Rullianus scrunched his eyebrows in consternation.

"It's an elvish-" Ulpia began, only to be cut off by Aela.

"I haven't heard your name before," she said to Seridwe. "What sort of experience do you have?"

"I've been doing this for about a decade in Illiac Bay," she said. "I've fought Orisimer, Redguards, Bretons, and everything else under Magnus. I've been up and down the Wrothgarians, crossed the Alik'r Desert, seen the walking trees of Valenwood, and trod the badlands of Anequina. I came to Cyrodiil only recently, with a friend of mine. Right now I could use a job. The biggest fight I have had in the last week has been against my hair."

"Well, this one seems to have won that battle!" Do'Sakhar laughed.

Aela looked to Ungarion and nodded.

The elven wizard raised four of his fingers in affirmation."That makes four of us then."

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 19 2013, 10:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 19 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

Right away you grab me with this:
"Trump, and rubber,"
As my mind is very similar to Dee Foxy's, my thoughts immediately veered to the question of how they would make *ahem* "Trojans" in a land where there are no oil wells (leading to the production of plastic)?? Then when I realize they are playing cards, I start picturing a Bicycle deck with images of prophylactics instead of the Joker! blink.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

I do suspect the furry felines that inhabit so many of our homes are themselves Alfiqs, we are just too stupid to notice. Not that they're going to help us do so!

I'm not sure what to make of those references to the Way of the Spirit Sword myself. Can they really make swords out of thin air? Kind of ironic, considering the Redguard's more mundane aversion to most types of magic. Sometimes I think it would be fun to write a story set in Yokudan times, about the time Frandic Hunding ends the civil strife that was tearing the people apart. Anyway, if Redguards can really do that, why carry metal swords? I can see the advantage of having summoned swords - you don't have to carry one all the time, yet you're never without one when you need one (as Julian found out that day in Bruma . . .). wink.gif

I'm a bit leery of Seridwe. All that glitter - is there really any substance to her? I'm of the school that there is an inverse relationship between the skill level and the coolness factor of the armor. In other words, the worst fighters have the gaudiest armors, while the best ones have none. I know, I know, guilty of watching too much martial arts films! wacko.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 19 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #38

Paladin
Group Icon

It seems completely natural that Ungarion would be a skilled cardist – and I liked his ironical observation about the hazards if undertaken as a profession.

Another memorable entrance – this time by Magnificent Number Four – a golden clad butter elf with blade and bow. And right away, she is a mer of mystery regarding her clear interest in Aela’s gender history.

I enjoyed Aela’s observations about Nirnian hairstyles. In fact her Teresaesque envy at Seridwe’s coif gave me a faint smile. wink.gif

Aela’s ability to read an item’s enchantment from range was most impressive, and effectively helped tell us quite a bit about Seridwe as well.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 19 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

I’m excited to see Seridwe. She made a big impression in a few lines at Bruma. Interesting that she brings her own expectations about Aela. I look forward to finding out how that evolves between them.

The Daggerfall braid made me grin. I have struggled with describing that hairstyle! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 19 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

She has enchanted gear and appreciates the presence of mages in the party. Bow and light armor go together, but then she's carrying a "greatsword' which implies a slow-swinging two-hander which seems out of place. I get the impression of someone who takes every advantage available, and has a back-up plan all the time. Potentially a good all-rounder, but maybe too much of a jack-of-all-trades.

I, too, liked the discussion of gambling as a career. Even if Bridge isn't a gambling game.

I had to look up ardhanari to find out where the term came from. The left/right division doesn't quite fit Aela's case!

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:13 PM