I was looking at these trying to imagine what you would come up with:

http://www.bruceongames.com/wp-content/upl...psy-caravan.jpg

(interior):

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/pho...kberry-wood.jpg

Or this:

http://www.ranchwillowwagons.com/wagonphot...wagon-465cb.jpg

(interior):

http://awhimsicalbohemian.typepad.com/.a/6...c5093970b-800wi

(The interiors with the storage under the beds and storage under bench chairs; shelves with rails to hold items in, etc)

Here was another interior shot, but they didn't have a rail on the shelf:

http://www.huntstileorganicfarm.co.uk/wp-c...wb1-425x281.jpg

Will the interior have a bit of a TARDIS effect?

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 31 2015, 06:43 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 31 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm intending a covered-wagon style cloth top with support bows, rather than a wooden box. It's more flexible in providing options for the player. (Think convertible versus sedan).

These are the sites I'm finding useful,

http://www.hansenwheel.com/

http://www.oxbowwagonsandcoaches.com/index.html

for the pictures of naked chassis, especially.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 31 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 31 2015, 02:08 PM) *

I'm intending a covered-wagon style cloth top with support bows, rather than a wooden box. It's more flexible in providing options for the player. (Think convertible versus sedan).

These are the sites I'm finding useful,

http://www.hansenwheel.com/

http://www.oxbowwagonsandcoaches.com/index.html

for the pictures of naked chassis, especially.

Oooh, naked chassis, huh? laugh.gif

Just kidding. Oh, okay! I had Carah's Caravan Redux in Oblivion, I guess that is what made me think of the gypsy caravan style player home on wheels; thought that is what you were planning on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 3 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

More naked pictures! This time in-game.

Here's the site when you start building the wagon. Just a pair of trestles to put it all on.

First you have to build the chassis. Note the springs the original didn't have.

Now you can add a wheel.

And another - as you complete a pair, the trestle is removed.

Third wheel and fourth. Now the wagon needs no support.

Spine and cross-piece to start the superstructure.

Then you can add the driver's seat

And then the bed

At this point it can be loaded and driven, so add the trees

And finally some sides.

This is the basic configuration for the merchant wagon. I'll make the canopy part of the final wagon that you can put up or take down in use. Without seats, there's room for a bedroll in the back, though using it there may mean unloading the wagon.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 3 2015, 01:09 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 3 2015, 03:46 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 2 2015, 07:57 PM) *

More naked pictures! This time in-game.

Here's the site when you start building the wagon. Just a pair of trestles to put it all on.

First you have to build the chassis. Note the springs the original didn't have.

Now you can add a wheel.

And another - as you complete a pair, the trestle is removed.

Third wheel and fourth. Now the wagon needs no support.

Spine and cross-piece to start the superstructure.

Then you can add the driver's seat

And then the bed

At this point it can be loaded and driven, so add the trees

And finally some sides.

This is the basic configuration for the merchant wagon. I'll make the canopy part of the final wagon that you can put up or take down in use. Without seats, there's room for a bedroll in the back, though using it there may mean unloading the wagon.

Holy Cow, this is Awesome!!! And exciting how far you've gotten on it in such a short time! (of course, naked chassis is always exciting! laugh.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 3 2015, 05:23 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Fantastic work! I really like the addition of the springs in the construction phase. I agree with mALX, you've made tremendous progress in such a short time.

I'm looking forward to springing a Khajiit character when this mod is finished!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 3 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

ghastley, this looks fantastic. I love the structural details that you added. It makes me want to put a partially-built wagon somewhere to show off your work!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 6 2015, 01:29 AM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

A little more progress. I spent nearly a whole day trying to make the collision mesh for the cart spring. It has to have one, as it's a "material" like the iron fittings and hinges, so you can drop it from your inventory or store it in a chest. I ended up pasting the mesh into a helmet's nif.

But there's other stuff going on, too.

I have a book for the player to find.

And read, for more background.

And then the quest starts - as groan-worthy a title as anything of Bethesda's!

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 6 2015, 01:29 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 6 2015, 04:12 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

I love the groan-worthy puns, and yours is right up there! biggrin.gif

I'm getting excited about this mod! It looks like it is really coming together!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 6 2015, 06:47 AM
Post #30

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 5 2015, 08:29 PM) *

A little more progress. I spent nearly a whole day trying to make the collision mesh for the cart spring. It has to have one, as it's a "material" like the iron fittings and hinges, so you can drop it from your inventory or store it in a chest. I ended up pasting the mesh into a helmet's nif.

But there's other stuff going on, too.

I have a book for the player to find.

And read, for more background.

And then the quest starts - as groan-worthy a title as anything of Bethesda's!

OH! I LOVE this little background story revealed in the journal, and the quest (and the quest name too, lol!) This is Awesome Ghastley !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 6 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

More little steps forward.

The game doesn't have one of these -

So I had to make one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 7 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Yippee!

blink.gif Umm, maybe I'm getting a little too excited? wacko.gif

cool.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 7 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 6 2015, 06:13 PM) *

More little steps forward.

The game doesn't have one of these -

So I had to make one.

You are amazing! How do you make something that doesn't exist in the game, and make it look just like the real life item? I am in awe of how you do that!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 8 2015, 01:47 AM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, that spokeshave looks beautiful! You made a tool that will look good in a display!!

Love the journal, and The Wronged Wright is a title that won’t be forgotten. biggrin.gif Yay!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 8 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #35

Councilor
Group Icon

I spent most of yesterday on the tedious parts. Filling in lists of references in the quest properties, setting aliases, objectives. The worst part was the endless conditions to make sure the four tools can be found in any order, and don't get assigned to the same dungeon. I expect that I'll find that quest can't be started because all those conditions can't be met.

Reading the book starts the quest, which makes the game select four bandit hideouts with boss chests to put the tools in. They have to be selected all at one time to avoid using the same location twice. The player is initially given the objective to find the saw, but could visit one of the other dungeons and find the hammer, tongs or spokeshave first. So when he finds the saw, the next objective has to be for a tool he hasn't found yet. Getting that logic straight is twisting my brain. wacko.gif

Fortunately, the game already provides a way to use a regular item and label it as "Wilf's item" when it's used as an alias, so I don't have to duplicate all the pieces just to make quest items.

I haven't started on the process of driving the wagon, but there are enough other mods that do it, so I can look at those and pick the best method.

I'm also looking at re-building the house as an add-on quest, and making it a wainwright's workshop. There's a corresponding complete house for each of the destroyed ones in the game, so replacing the structure is easy. Furniture is a known process too. The only question is when would be an appropriate point to do that? When player has a spouse to stay there and be shop-keeper? Since the whole idea is that the Khajiit is nomadic, does he want a static home?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 8 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

I think the add-on quest to restore the ruined house is a great idea. I have a Redguard and an Argonian in mind to use your Khajiiti caravan, and I suspect that there will be others who will want to build it not just for Khajiit. Both of mine (Alesan and Dar-Ma) have other housing, but both would build it for someone else to live in. I use My Home Is Your Home to park NPCs all over the place, so it would be easy to move one or a few in as the new wainwright and give them schedules working outdoors. Even with a purely nomadic Khajiit character I would do the quest to restore the workshop so that my nomad would have a place to swing by and do the maintenance on his wagon, or so we would pretend.

So I guess I wouldn’t wait for the player to marry, since the restored home and workshop would be useful in all kinds of situations. Even if the nomadic player wanted to adopt kids without a spouse, your wainwright workshop would give them a way to do it if you included the children’s stuff.

Maybe the add-on quest could start after completing the wagon? How were you thinking of doing it? If there was a way that would not put an unfinished quest in the journals of the true nomads who would not build a house, I think that would be best.

Wow, a functional house there would be the icing on the cake!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 8 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

One idea I'd had was that the quest to restore the house would start after the player visits each of the walled cities and talks to the carriage drivers. They'd convince him of the need for a repair shop, and central is good. However, I can't think of a way to do so without dialogue, which needs voice acting, unless it's a lot of couriers with letters! tongue.gif

One of the motives was to provide a need for the partial wagons after the build part is done. A workshop might have several part-built wagons in progress of "repair". There's a fair amount of open space at the site for that.

But it won't happen unless I get the first part finished. There's still a few bits to link up before Jo'bashi goes testing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 8 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 8 2015, 09:57 AM) *

I spent most of yesterday on the tedious parts. Filling in lists of references in the quest properties, setting aliases, objectives. The worst part was the endless conditions to make sure the four tools can be found in any order, and don't get assigned to the same dungeon. I expect that I'll find that quest can't be started because all those conditions can't be met.

Reading the book starts the quest, which makes the game select four bandit hideouts with boss chests to put the tools in. They have to be selected all at one time to avoid using the same location twice. The player is initially given the objective to find the saw, but could visit one of the other dungeons and find the hammer, tongs or spokeshave first. So when he finds the saw, the next objective has to be for a tool he hasn't found yet. Getting that logic straight is twisting my brain. wacko.gif

Gaaah, that must be why quests didn't work if you found the item before getting the quest when Skyrim first came out; is that still an issue?

Fortunately, the game already provides a way to use a regular item and label it as "Wilf's item" when it's used as an alias, so I don't have to duplicate all the pieces just to make quest items.

Holy Cow, I didn't know it could do that! I made duplicates of a bunch of stuff, thought we had to like in Oblivion! That is Awesome, I wonder how it works?

I haven't started on the process of driving the wagon, but there are enough other mods that do it, so I can look at those and pick the best method.

I'm also looking at re-building the house as an add-on quest, and making it a wainwright's workshop. There's a corresponding complete house for each of the destroyed ones in the game, so replacing the structure is easy. Furniture is a known process too. The only question is when would be an appropriate point to do that? When player has a spouse to stay there and be shop-keeper? Since the whole idea is that the Khajiit is nomadic, does he want a static home?

I wondered if that house next to the cart in the beginning could be fixed into a cozy little shack! Yeah, spouses and children couldn't all squeeze onto the back of that wagon, there would be cats hanging off the springs! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 9 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 8 2015, 11:33 AM) *

One idea I'd had was that the quest to restore the house would start after the player visits each of the walled cities and talks to the carriage drivers. They'd convince him of the need for a repair shop, and central is good. However, I can't think of a way to do so without dialogue, which needs voice acting, unless it's a lot of couriers with letters! tongue.gif

I can test if the player has found all the stables where the carriage drivers hang out by testing the visibility state of the map markers. So I don't need dialogue with the drivers to build the list. Any appropriate event such as ChangeLocation can trigger a test on the complete set, and send a single courier.

The drivers have all seen the non-uniform wagon, and wonder where it was made. If there's another workshop somewhere, especially if it sells spares, and does repairs, they'd all like to know. The inflated prices for the Cyrodiil monopoly are severely cutting into their profits from the carriage trade.

Once shop is open, I suspect I can use the "hired thugs" quest in the same way that thefts trigger it, with a custom contract in place of the regular one. The Cyrodiil Wainwrights' Guild has sent them, so I may even clone it to use Imperials as hirelings. The player already gets DB assassins, or I'd be using those, too.

There is a nice generic "We're here to teach you a lesson" topic that suits any hireling situation, so I don't even need voice acting for them.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 9 2015, 06:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 11 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 9 2015, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 8 2015, 11:33 AM) *

I can test if the player has found all the stables where the carriage drivers hang out by testing the visibility state of the map markers. So I don't need dialogue with the drivers to build the list. Any appropriate event such as ChangeLocation can trigger a test on the complete set, and send a single courier.

The drivers have all seen the non-uniform wagon, and wonder where it was made. If there's another workshop somewhere, especially if it sells spares, and does repairs, they'd all like to know. The inflated prices for the Cyrodiil monopoly are severely cutting into their profits from the carriage trade.

Once shop is open, I suspect I can use the "hired thugs" quest in the same way that thefts trigger it, with a custom contract in place of the regular one. The Cyrodiil Wainwrights' Guild has sent them, so I may even clone it to use Imperials as hirelings. The player already gets DB assassins, or I'd be using those, too.

There is a nice generic "We're here to teach you a lesson" topic that suits any hireling situation, so I don't even need voice acting for them.

This is some very interesting info on how these things can be worked out, I really appreciate you sharing this, it may help me one day in my own mod-making (if I ever get back to it, lol).

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:11 PM