> The Saga of Joan of Arkay, A Morrowind Main Quest Story
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2021, 01:14 AM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 7 2021, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 7 2021, 05:17 PM) *

Ah, yes. Those [censored] [censored] Dark Brotherhood assassins. I remember the first time playing Morrowind and one appearing the very first time I rested outside. And because it is such an old game, the loading is super quick, so he just yelled in my face really loudly immediately after the loading finished. I didn't realize until later that that was only because of the Tribunal DLC since I was playing the GOTY Edition. (The werewolves that suddenly appear toward the end of the Bloodmoon DLC were the same way. Quick load screen while sleeping, then several roared REALLY loudly and pierced my eardrums.)

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me. One day, I'm going to give Helseth what's coming to him. Even though he canonically survives and soon abolishes slavery, just once I want to give him some payback for those assassins.

I’ve got a mod that delays the Brotherhood attacks. It’s a must, in my opinion.

I play with the same mod. My first time I had to reload the game a dozen times before I was able to kill the assassin. Then the armor and weapons I took off of him were incredibly overpowered for my level. I had to stop using them after just a short while because it made the game too easy. It just ruins the game all around.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 9 2021, 08:57 AM
Post #42

Mouth
Group Icon

Sounds to be the same concept as the onset of the Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLCs in Skyrim. I don't want vampires attacking everything and everyone from level 1! I've got other stuff to do!! Sheesh! blink.gif And may be I don't even want to play those DLCs, so don't force me. wink.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 9 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

This makes me smile... all this discussion, yet only one of us (me) is currently playing this game AFAIK!

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 5 2021, 03:41 PM) *

’Both of them begin swinging, while the inn's guests mosey about calmly. Joan is careful not to hit any of them, as she rushes back upstairs again,…’
- - Haha, Joan fights like Jan the Stormcrow!

Yes, very true. So many people are desperate for selfies with Stormcrow she must do things to avoid getting them hurt. In Morrowind (the vanilla game) most indoor NPCs stand around forever like statues, however I figured out how to make them wander as described in this post. Because of this, Joan must be extra careful not to hit one of them. Because they don't fight or flee like they do in later Bethesda games, if an unrelated fight takes place near to them. panic.gif They just sort of wander around, hurr-dee-durr, while all that activity was going on!

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 7 2021, 03:06 AM) *

I already forgot details but don't these assassins keep coming and coming until you at least do some part of the quest that their attack triggers?

On Xbox just one (and only one) Assassin shows up. I've never seen any more than one. However, it's possible more of them show up in the PC version, as Wyrd explains ... Also I never did the MQ on Xbox, so maybe more DB Assassins attack in that game, if MQ gets followed, and Tribunal is present as well. ph34r.gif

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 7 2021, 04:49 AM) *

I suspect that Arkay just might ordain Joan's person...

Yes, ordain mine person! said she. Doncha just love Thesaurus.com? laugh.gif

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 7 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Wow, an assassin that is actually proficient in his trade! I am impressed! Not like those ones in Skyrim then that fall over with a few stabs? tongue.gif

You will love this part of the game (or Morroblivion, if they also show up and attack in that version). It's similar to Hackdirt in Oblivion, when that one Brethren attacks us as we try to sleep in the inn. indifferent.gif Basically, I never see it coming. Gives me chills up the spine every time.

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 7 2021, 06:17 PM) *

This last playthrough I was doing a few months ago, I was handling the assassins with ease until eventually a duo attacked so damn quickly that I just got stun-locked. I hadn't wanted to go to Mournhold yet so they just kept coming randomly when I rested outside. Annoyed the hell out of me.

Yah, this does sound annoying, if they keep on coming like this. huh.gif Yikes.

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Sep 8 2021, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 8 2021, 08:27 AM) *

I'm not sure why this is

Here is what UESP says about it: "The conditions for being attacked in your sleep differ between the PC and Xbox versions of the game. In the PC version, you can be attacked at any time, even when you sleep for the first time after starting a new game with Tribunal installed. In the Xbox version, you will only be attacked after you have reached level 6."

So my memory is correct, except I thought it was Level 3 through 5 they show up, not Level 6. Weird how they made the Xbox and PC versions differ so much when they released Tribunal.

QUOTE(macole @ Sep 8 2021, 11:10 AM) *

There's a mod Murderous Dreams that I used in the past that delays DB attacks until you reach a certain amount of fame. It kind of simulates non-descript persona until your fame becomes high and wide enough to attract attention. It worked well for me but others have reported problems with it.

This mod makes a lot of sense, roleplay-wise it seems odd that somebody would just attack our character when they've barely done anything in Morrowind, yet. unsure.gif I will continue to do it the vanilla way with Joan (because maybe in her past she's pissed off the DB somehow) but maybe with some other characters I'll eventually use this mod. Just for variety's sake.

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 9 2021, 10:22 PM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

Today's story is not as exciting, but it's a shortie. According to its date, I wrote it August 15, so I am almost a month behind with the storytelling at this point, compared to where she is in the game. viking.gif

----------------------------------

Last Seed 22 (Day 7), early evening

IPB Image

"What's this about?" asks an Imperial Archer as Joan makes her way toward Fort Pelagiad.

Joan spends most of Last Seed 22 getting her gear repaired, and talking to the residents around town. Oddly, nobody wants to discuss last night's assassin, it seems. Indeed, nobody bothers to broach this subject at all as she inquires here and there. Even in Halfway Tavern itself! .. Only later when speaking to a guard does she get any feedback.

"You say you've been attacked by assassins?" asks the guard.

"Just one assassin," answers Joan. "As I attempted rest last night within Halfway Tavern, I heard a loud noise, and immediately perceived the presence of darkness within the inn's confines. A man wearing all black warned me gravely that I would die, then proceeded to press his assault. Oddly, I located him after one rather extensive pursuit, as he was locked within one of Halfway's upper rooms. Which as I shall assume, means the room was rented to him by Drelasa. Since he donned himself in all black, I shall also make the assumption that he traipsed within Halfway donned in familiar clothing, then redressed his personage."

The guard harrumphs. Then continues. "From your description, it sounds like the work of the Dark Brotherhood!"

"Why...No! This cannot be!!"

"I'm not sure who you angered," the guard replies with fear, "but stay away from me."

Joan stands confused, and says nothing. So much for 'Protect and serve, it's what we do.'

"I suppose this should be officially reported, though. Speak to Apelles Marius in Ebonheart about this matter," the guard informs, hoping the lady before him will go away, and he'll be able to then go back to what he's really good at: wandering around the village until it's time for ale and mutton.

"But why would the Brotherhood desire to strike upon me?"

"Scum, ALL of them!" the guard intones angrily. "If they're after you friend, you'd better find yourself some help. Or write a will. Or both."

Joan disagrees with this sentiment. All one needs are the graces hereforth from the Nine, thinks she. "I shall be fine," she says to the guard. "Many thank yous, sire."

She walks uphill to the fort, where she tries to join the Legion. Unfortunately, the legion here in Pelagiad cannot accept her interest. Instead, she must go to a place called Gnisis to join, where ever that may be. She later learns that Gnisis is nowhere close. Meaning Balmora shall hopefully be her next destination.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Sep 9 2021, 10:48 PM
Post #45

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 9 2021, 04:52 PM) *

roleplay-wise it seems odd that somebody would just attack our character when they've barely done anything in Morrowind, yet.

I've done roleplays where my character pissed off someone in Cyrodiil so badly (usually connected to the reason my character was in prison in Cyrodiil) that they hired the Dark Brotherhood to track mu characters down in Vvardenfell and kill them.

I did one interesting playthrough of an aging ex-Dark Brotherhood assassin who got entangled in slimy, back-stabbing organizational politics and, as a result, the Dark Mother framed her for a crime (which landed her in a Cyrodiil prison). When my character was unexpectedly released by the Emperor it so enraged the Dark Mother that she sent assassins after her.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

First rule of Pelagiad, what happens in Pelagiad, stays in Pelagiad.

I see the guards are the same high quality individuals we have come to know and love in every video game. I hear they used to be adventurers like us, until that arrow thing...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 10 2021, 12:53 AM
Post #47

Paladin
Group Icon

Yes, that guard was not very helpful, was he? laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 10 2021, 05:41 AM
Post #48

Mouth
Group Icon

Ack! Joan, the guard told you what to do to stop the attacks. Don’t delay, go report the incident to Apelles Marius in Ebonheart. That is unless you like selling the frogman suits for tons of gold.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 18 2021, 01:45 AM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

Nice, Wyrd, she pissed off the Brotherhood, that's what I'm saying! smile.gif Yes there's always gotta be a reason why they come after us. Damn, that's deep.

Yes, the guards are pretty wooden in this game! laugh.gif Convenient whey we need them, except for sometimes. And also then. Ironically, her luck with guards is about to change...

She will head off to Ebonheart macole, but not now. Joanie feels her calling is in Balmora. (And from my perspective, I want to go there too because that's the mysterious Main Quest which I'm eager to learn about).

Love you all. cake.gif salute.gif Hug_emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 Last Seed (Day 9), early afternoon

IPB Image

"I don't know you. What do you want?"

"Joan of Cheydinhal. I come to you, and to this fort, to inquire on the prospect of joining the Imperial Legion."

Today Joan stands in Fort Moonmoth, an Imperial garrison, located a mile east of Balmora. Joan enters the fort, and speaks to the man who seems to be its commander (for he stands directly in the middle of Moonmoth's lobby). Joan had been told to travel to Fort Darius, so she can join the Legion there. Fort Darius is quite a long ways away, though. So she is here, in Moonmoth, hoping its commander would not be so strict.

"I am Radd Hard-Heart," says Moonmoth's commander. "Master-at-Arms and Knight Protector of the Imperial Legion."

"Yes. Might I inquire about joining? I have been told I do meet the legion's stringent standards for recruitment."

"All the garrisons are presently at full strength," says Hard-Heart. "Except, perhaps, the Deathshead Legion at Fort Darius..."

Well, so much for that attempt. Joan is dismayed by Hard-Heart's words, but does not protest. Does not roll her eyes or stamp her feet. There shalt a time for this quest to be resolved, thinks she, and the Gods have not chosen for that time to be the present.

"Thank you kindly," she says to the commander.

Good news is, Moonmoth also holds a chapter of the Imperial Cult, and Joan does manage to join this instead. Somuris Vunnis, the cult's local chapter head, is impressed by Joan. Joan of Cheydinhal, who has been raised as a devout and fully-versed follower of the Nine Divines. Somuris also notes that Joan is well-spoken and polite, and has some magical resistance. She has been trained at speechcraft, and devotes her magic mostly to the restorative and mystical schools of thought.

There is a cost of 50 drakes for her to join. Most others aspiring become part of the Cult might complain about this, but not Joan. 'Tithing' is what this is called, Joan was already well-familiar with why it was purposeful to tithe to an organization, especially one devoted to good works. Though she hasn't got much, she devotes 50 drakes to Somuris Vunnis. Now she has even less.

"You are now a Layman in the Imperial Cult," says Somuris, handing her a copy of For my Gods and Emperor. "Welcome, Joan of Cheydinhal, to our community...."

Joan allows a rare smile to slip through her stony countenance. She now has places to stay, and things to do. Plenty of things to do, according to Somuris, although he hasn't got anything for her right now. Instead, she'll need to head to Ebonheart to pick up some tasks.

Joan spends the rest of the day and night in Fort Moonmoth, conversing, listening, and learning. The next morning, she decides to ask one of Moonmoth's outdoor guards if he'd like to accompany her to Balmora. *

"'Tis just down the way, as you may know really, since you live here. Might you choose to assist me as I sojourn into town?"

"Very well," the guard says. Two words. Just like that, the guard leaves whatever post he's supposed to be watching over, and begins to follow Joan.

"You can return to Moonmoth at any time you desire," Joan tells him as they begin to walk away. "Surely, you cannot neglect your duties for long..."

... But the guard never does return. Apparently, his posting at Moonmoth was decent, but the prospect of Adventure, Riches, Valor, and possibly Fame are noteworthy, as well.

------------------------------

Radd Hard-Heart, Moonmoth's Commander

Somuris Vunnis Moonmoth's Priest

Joan persuades her first soldier.

* Note-- I felt like Joan was wanting somebody to join her, and thankfully, I was able to fulfill this wish. Found a mod called Supreme Follower System which allows us to have ANY NPC in the game become our follower. This can become quite a powerful mod, of course. Imperial soldiers are pretty tough, especially while shadowing Level 1 Joan. viking.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 18 2021, 01:54 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 18 2021, 01:57 AM
Post #50

Ancient
Group Icon

Looks like the Legion is not too keen on Joan. Their loss, the Imperial Cult's gain.

That is a neat mod, that allows you to turn anyone into a follower. It looks like Joan's own personal Army of Light has had its first recruitment.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 18 2021, 08:45 AM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

Oddly, I located him after one rather extensive pursuit, as he was locked within one of Halfway's upper rooms.

rollinglaugh.gif

Neat that she joined the Imperial Cult, Haryon (my Nerevarine) was also their member. A lot of memories came back as you mentioned that there are tasks waiting for her in Ebonheart. It's an interesting questline, harm-warming at times. smile.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 18 2021, 08:18 PM
Post #52

Paladin
Group Icon

I think SubRosa has the right of it - the Legion's loss and the Imperial Cult's gain.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 25 2021, 01:49 AM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

Rosa & Paladin Acadian: Mmm hmm that is true about the Legion, they sure are stingy about letting us join. rolleyes.gif I mean, don't get me wrong, I am always up for a road trip. I love traveling in all these Elder Scrolls games on foot. But Joan is sort of irked.

Lopov: I am looking forward to Imperial Cult quests. Sir Galarad (one of my Xbox characters) did a few Cult quests but Galarad wasn't really a devotee of The Nine like Joan is. tongue.gif He was more of a knight than a Lawful Goodie Paladin. viking.gif But Joan of Arkay? Joan will have lots to do. smile.gif

Rosa: That follower mod can break the game if one isn't careful! Army of Light ... I LOVE that!

-----------------------

25 Last Seed (Day 10)

IPB Image

Last Seed 25 is a busy day for Joan, who suddenly has many options. Options to join many factions here in town, that is.

"Dee prey... approaches...."

An Argonian named Hul greets Joan with his harshened voice. All Argonians have raspy voices, but his is particularly chalk-like. It's as though he once lived Bravil, and spent too much time in front of a hookah pipe in some skooma den. Hul tells Joan all about the town's guilds and services. She can try joining one of the guilds, or Balmora's Temple. She can even try joining House Hlaalu, one of Morrowind's Great Houses, if she wants to. Hlaalu is more open to outlanders (like Joan) than the province's other Great Houses, he explains.

... She does not join Hlaalu, but she does join the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, attaining the rank of Associate in each guild. Due to the training she received during her upbringing, she meets requirements for both. She immediately picks up a quest to kill some cave rats, which have infested the home of Drarayne Thelas, one of Balmora's residents.

Cave ... Rats?

Joan is unsure if she'll do any questing for the Mages Guild, since her past magical training had not been as extensive. But using their facilities to buy potions, scrolls, items, and spell-making could prove invaluable as she delved further into the mainland Vvardenfell's inner portions. Especially nearer to its Red Volcano, which is rumored to be much more dangerous than the places Joan has been so far.

She feels more comfortable around fighters, so here with the Fighters Guild is where she decides to stay in town.

Joan spends several hours getting to know her new guildmates. Before long, it is late in the evening, and she must rest. Tomorrow, she'll see about delivering the package given to her back in Seyda Neen. The package which is supposed to go to a man named Caius.

--------------------------

Talking to Silt Strider Captain

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 25 2021, 02:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 25 2021, 04:12 AM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

De Prey approaches. For a moment I thought Joan was fighting bandits again.

Joan is guilding up. Rats? Why is it always rats?

Package, Caius? What was that? Oh nevermind, there is plenty of shiny stuff to catch my eyes right now. How about those rats?

You are getting me in the mood to fire up my last save of January in Morrowblivion again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 25 2021, 06:16 PM
Post #55

Master
Group Icon

It's as though he once lived Bravil, and spent too much time in front of a hookah pipe in some skooma den.

laugh.gif

My advice to Joan would be that she should buy some shirt and bring it to Caius along with the package. wink.gif

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 25 2021, 08:51 PM
Post #56

Paladin
Group Icon

’She immediately picks up a quest to kill some cave rats,’
- - I chuckled with the same observation that SubRosa made. What is it about the FG and rats? tongue.gif

That Joan is more comfortable with the FG than the MG makes sense and seems to suit Joan. Buffy feels exactly the same but in reverse; though she may belong to the FG, she feels at home in the MG.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 26 2021, 05:10 AM
Post #57

Mouth
Group Icon

Cave rats, that's the one with the Pillow Lady isn't it? Balmorans will do anything the defend the purity of their pillows.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 27 2021, 01:08 PM
Post #58

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 25 2021, 08:51 PM) *

- - I chuckled with the same observation that SubRosa made. What is it about the FG and rats? tongue.gif

It's because no other guild will take on a job to clear the rats. And they do need clearing, I think we all agree on that. smile.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 27 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #59

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Sep 27 2021, 07:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 25 2021, 08:51 PM) *

It's because no other guild will take on a job to clear the rats. And they do need clearing, I think we all agree on that. smile.gif

But they got the cutest little pink noses.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 2 2021, 12:01 AM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 24 2021, 11:12 PM) *

You are getting me in the mood to fire up my last save of January in Morrowblivion again.

hehe.gif Seems appropriate. goodjob.gif Please let us know what she gets into if you do.

QUOTE(Lopov @ Sep 25 2021, 01:16 PM) *

My advice to Joan would be that she should buy some shirt and bring it to Caius along with the package. wink.gif

Ha, funny you should mention the shirt. whistling.gif Joan's already been flummoxed by that as we'll see. dry.gif

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 25 2021, 03:51 PM) *

That Joan is more comfortable with the FG than the MG makes sense and seems to suit Joan. Buffy feels exactly the same but in reverse; though she may belong to the FG, she feels at home in the MG.

Yes, yes, this is true. Buffy is definitely much more comfortable around mages. bluewizardsmile.gif Has she ever been to Vvardenfell?

Sometimes I feel bad that you keep up with Vicious, Acadian. Because I know Fallout and the pseudo-urban theme in Miss Vicious's tale are not your first choice of reading material. You like Medieval Fantasy! viking.gif So at least you might be getting more of a MF story fix here with Joanie.

QUOTE(macole @ Sep 26 2021, 12:10 AM) *

Cave rats, that's the one with the Pillow Lady isn't it? Balmorans will do anything the defend the purity of their pillows.

YES, that's right! She's got dozens of pillows in her tiny home. sleep.gif Heck, I may have even forgotten to mention this.

[quote name='Lena Wolf' post='339072' date='Sep 27 2021, 08:08 AM']
[/quote[

I imagine the Mages Guild might burn up all of that lady's pillows with their spells as they try to aim for rats!

This post has been edited by Renee: Oct 2 2021, 03:12 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

18 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:15 PM