12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Lost Knife Playground
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 17 2013, 12:13 AM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

Darnand had produced some dwemer contraption that boiled the vegetables he brought along with him for the trip.

Vera's strong teeth ripped into the meat. She had good teeth. Strong hands, too, that she would use to crack open the ironwood nuts.

She didn't look directly to the Breton as she twisted the meat so that the fire could devour every inch of it before she would. "Aye, that's how it works in the wild," she responded. "You either kill or be killed. Always feels good to be on the winning side." She grinned. "No meat better than the meat of the wild, I can tell you that much."

She couldn't discern much from the man other than the fact that he had scholarly air about him. His friendship with the two women suggested they've met before. She could tell he wasn't the most social creature in the pack.

The night whispered chilly winds over her and despite sitting next to the flames, she felt the nip of the cold over the nape of her neck and her ears. She had the opportunity to bring Lycus' black overcloak. She knew he wouldn't have a problem with her taking it. It would serve to keep her warm.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 17 2013, 02:51 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

Aravi saw that Darnand had the usual cooking gear. The times she had traveled with Darnand and Jerric, she learned that they almost always brought the means to make a good meal. Her pack carried the necessities and little else. It made camping with their group especially enjoyable knowing that there was cooked food. Though there were times where it was better to not ask what was in the stew

Wolves started their howling already. A shiver went down Aravis spine.

Aravi took one of the rabbits Vera offered. Thanks Vera, she called and then went over to where Salyan was sitting. The woman was sitting on a stump near the fire. Aravi chose a spot on the ground and started to slowly roast the meat. To Salyan she said, would you like some of this? indicating the rabbit.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 17 2013, 03:29 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla sat herself next to Darnand with a grin, crossing her legs and pulling out some fresh herbs from her pack. She grabbed a rabbit, nearly cooked, and sprinkled the herbs onto it. she set it back to cook and leaned back on her hands and sighed.

"This brings back memories," she said to Darnand in a low voice. "I was once traveling with a friend of mine, beautiful mage woman. We were tracking a particularly elusive group of vampires." the herbs began to smell good, and she set them out for anyone who wanted them. She leaned back and leaned a little closer to Darnand.

"It was a particularly chilly night, and the snow had nearly buried us. I think that's what the vamps were counting on. They don't need heat to survive. We did. We made a snow shelter, but it wasn't enough. Anyways, a snow troll had ripped my pack from me and tossed it over the mountain in a frenzy. All of my warming potions, herbs, everything, went with it. But she was smart. After we killed it, she was brilliant, by the way. I had never seen a wall of fire before. She was a, think the proper term is pyromancer? She could make flames envelope her target and burn them to a crisp."

The rabbit sizzled and popped, and Kayla turned it over.

"We had to huddle very close that night. Cheek to cheek." She leaned closer to Darnand, a mischievous smile on her lips. "And I was wondering if all mages were...good with their hands, like she was." She bit her lower lip briefly, then leaned back and laughed. She enjoyed teasing him, and by the red in his face, he had caught her drift.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 17 2013, 02:23 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

Kayla leaned in and related the tale of one cold night she had shared with a beautiful woman. Darnand felt himself flush at the teasing. He knew he was supposed to infer the sexual meaning and respond in kind, but such banter did not spring readily to his mind. He doubted that an anecdote about cuddling up with a hairy Nord under similar circumstances would hold much charm. Nearly freezing to death while an icy beard tickled his neck was not among the memories he wished to keep, much less share.

Instead he addressed the part of Kaylas remark that interested him the most.

Indeed, I would refer to your partner as a pyromancer, he said. The spell you describe sounds like Wall of Flames, which is taught to destructionists at the Expert level by the College of Winterhold. When I was last there we lacked sufficient funds to complete my training. I have created the effect on my own since, but attempting it is Darnand winced at a memory. Far from safe.

I could make an innuendo regarding the differences between hand-casting and using ones staff, he thought. A flush heated his face again. When the Deadlands freeze over.

He brought a Fire Shield to his hand and shifted the pressure cooker in the edge of the blaze.

I have apples, he announced, thoroughly flustered. Instead of palming his face Darnand gestured to his pack. If anyone should care for one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 17 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

Seeing Darnand squirm brought endless joy to Kayla. It was rare that she got the chance to tease someone more reserved than she, and to see him blush and look away tickled her. She was a bit disappointed he didn't flirt back, but beggars can't be choosers, and she was a beggar in the sense of receiving male attention. The past few days had been the most she'd received attention since leaving Skyrim.

But she was back in her homeland, and that made her happy to the point of giddiness. The waning day coupled with the warm fire made for what could be a wonderful evening. She saw a torchbug light up a short distance away and smiled.

"I missed Skyrim." She said to Darnand, reaching over and taking an apple. she took a bite, and a bit of juice dribbled over the skin. She licked it up before taking another bite. It was sweet and made her mouth water.

"If you're cold," she said after swallowing her bite, "I've got some herbs that I chew that keep me warm. Frost Mirriam is good for that. I always keep a sprig or two in my mouth." She reached into her pocket and brought out parchment folded into a small envelope. Inside were slips of waxed paper with sprigs of herbs in them. She handed one to Darnand with a grin.

"In case those magickal hands of yours aren't enough tonight."

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 18 2013, 03:28 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Aravi saw Kayla whispering to Darnand. She watched Darnands face turn a shade of red. It was pretty easy to see Kayla was teasing him. Aravi decided to throw some oil on the flames.

Careful Kayla, he might grab your rear, and none too gently either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 18 2013, 03:33 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

Kayla let out a bark of laughter and looked back at Darnand, who was now beet red. A wicked look crossed her face and she turned back to Aravi, laughing.

"Hey, don't threaten me with a good time, now!"

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 18 2013, 04:46 AM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Kayla's mirth was contagious and Aravi couldn't prevent herself from smiling. She also enjoyed Darnand's expression.

"It's painful when he gets a hold of you, and he does it at the worst times. Consider yourself fortunate you don't have a tail either."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 18 2013, 09:15 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

"Oh, he plays rough, huh?" Kayla looked at Darnand, a huge grin on her face. "You know what they say, the quiet ones are the most fun!"

She threw her head back and laughed and took another bite of her apple. Just to punctuate her teasing remark, she ran her hand gently over Darnand's, batting her lashes. She enjoyed seeing him so flustered, especially knowing that he'd never return the flirting or shoot an innuendo back at her.

She then reached over and gently touched his cheek. "You're a good sport, Darnand. Most mages I know get flustered to the point of anger and say something about roasting my insides." She grabbed the bottle of wine as it was passed to her and took a few gulps. It didn't look like anyone else was interested in drinking it. She took the rabbit off of the fire and waited for it to cool so she could eat.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 19 2013, 03:54 AM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

Darnand snorted as the women teased him. It was all in good fun. He gave Aravi a shy smile, relieved that she was able to see some humor in their tail-pulling history.

He renewed his fire shield on one hand and pulled the pressure cooker from the coals, then cooled it with frost from the other hand. The lock pin clicked down as the pressure inside eased. He opened the lid and began ladling out servings of savory vegetable stew.

Please help yourself, Darnand said. He sliced off some pheasant with his belt knife and laid the chunks on his plate next to the stew. Then he sat back and began to eat, blowing on the steaming food to cool it rather than using a more arcane method. He doubted that Vera would be amused if he accidentally shot cooked vegetables across the fire at her during dinner. Or ever, he amended.

The pheasant was tender, the meat generously basted by the birds autumn fat layer as it cooked. Darnand gave Vera a grateful look. He knew the hunter would not need an explanation, though he was not certain that she had noticed his appreciation.

Darnand balanced his plate on his knee and took another swig of wine before he passed it.

Should we discuss tomorrows plan? he said to the group at large.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 19 2013, 04:42 AM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

Vera remained seated near the flames the whole time with ears out to the world rather than the laughs and teases of the giggling travelers.

She finished her last pheasant while the others ate their fill. Darnand had just completed his work with the steamed vegetables and passed them out so any hungry volunteer could devour them. Vera was among the first to pick out her desires greens.

She cast one quick glance at the subject of the women's teasing and caught an appreciative expression on his flushed face. It was clear he was enjoying the food, as were the others and was giving her his gratitude through a show of emotion.

Vera nodded once and passed the wine bottle to another as it reached her. Right now, she wouldn't touch wine. Nor Cyrodiilic brandy. Water was fine as it was. Fresh from the river, preserved in the bottle and seated just near her in case she felt the need to cool her throat.

The Breton averted the topic of playfullness with something a bit more serious. It was Vera's turn to be more appreciative, but she didn't nescessarily show it. He might have guessed it, as she was the first to respond to his question.

"You'll be going in the caverns," Vera noted as she began cracking the ironwood nuts she collected from her pockets. She cracked them with her back teeth, and threw away the shells into the flames. "I'd choose to stay on the high ground if there is any. I'll keep an eye out while you do whatever it is you're doing."

She kept her eyes away from the flames, as she was seated a bit closer to the shadows. She knew the effects light had on her eyes and she wasn't enthusiastic to find out one of them even getting a hint of her oddity. She wasn't playful or joyous as the rest of them. Life had scorched such joy and felicity from the days of her youth. This was somewhat normal, though, for any other mercenary out there and she was glad she wouldn't have to force a charming smile or embrace others around her. She'd have to keep her temper in control.

And it takes great effort.

"You're all capable of killing animals," she noted, looking specifically at Aravi. She's hunted the undead. What's a furry beast to her? "I'll keep my attention focused on anything potentially dangerous. Trolls or outlaws that's taken residence in the caverns." She looked out into the valley. "Its the outlaws I'm concerned about."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 19 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Salyan smiled as she enjoyed the banter that passed between the group, and once the food was ready, tucked in to the meat and the vegetable Darnand had prepared in his pressure cooker.

"I'd choose to stay on the high ground if there is any. I'll keep an eye out while you do whatever it is you're doing."

Salyan nodded at Vera's plan, and at her comments about worrying about outlaws; animals could be vicious and dangerous, but at least they could be outsmarted without too much difficulty. Mortals, on the other hand, were an eternally unknown quantity, and that made them particularly dangerous to fight against. At least this was going to be taking place on good old-fashioned Nirn; some of the expeditions that Salyan had been on in the Isles had encountered things far worse than bandits or mortals.

"If we're discussing plans," Salyan added. "I have an idea or two of my own. Kayla and Aravi, you two are clearly the best people we have in our group for front-line fighting, so I think it would be best if you were the vanguard. Darnand and I can stay further back and provide support; I can bolster your fighting abilities or disrupt large groups of enemies, and I'm guessing you, Darnand, are probably the sort of mage who's good at throwing fireballs about. Vera, you can watch our backs and keep to the higher ground, and provide long-ranged support with your bow. Also, watch Darnand and I, too. I'm not much good in a close-up brawl and Darnand, you're a mage. I don't need to go through the stereotypes, I'm sure."

She made that final comment with a smile, just to show that it wasn't meant seriously.

"This is just going on times when I've done this sort of thing before," Salyan said. "But if anyone has any other ideas I'm happy to hear them."
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 20 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Aravi ate quietly as the others discussed a plan of action. She was particularly relieved when Salyan presented her plan. The bard was the only one here she hadnt fought with before. Salyan was powerful with her magic, that was clear to Aravi, but using it under the threat of injury and death was another thing.

I like this plan, but it might be too narrow in places for all of us to stay together and be effective. We may have to split up when we get in. I hope that is not the case however. Also keep this in mind while we fight: be sure to allow Darnand to cast a soul trap spell on any beasts before delivering the killing blow. Thats what we are here for. I have an enchanted dagger for soul trapping as well, but I will only use it if we are forced to split up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 20 2013, 05:07 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

Darnand listened to the ideas passed around the fire.

He smiled back at Salyan. You are correct in your assessment. My cloak carries a mild Frost Shield enchantment, but it is intended to ease the discomfort of travel, not stand in as armor. It is not enough to turn a blade or prevent dismemberment. As you suggest, I shall maintain a distance so that I might cast the soul traps without coming under immediate attack. I will use a spell with a long duration, so accuracy will be important. I do not want to waste magicka.

Darnand scraped his plate into the fire to clean it. Then he wiped his utensils and put them away as he spoke.

Aravi and Kayla, I will not use fire while you are engaged at close range for fear of hitting you. If you need support I will summon a dremora. I must warn you to remove yourself from the fight if I do so. He often attacks indiscriminately once the initial threat has been eliminated. I will only summon him under great duress. Which contributes to the lack of control, he thought. And of course my fire spells will aid your strategic repositioning, if such should be required. On the subject of friendly fire, I should explain the soul trap. If you find yourself caught in the effect for some reason, do not become alarmed. It takes tremendous power to trap a humans or mers energy in this manner. Even if you should er, expire while the spell is upon you, your soul will not be trapped in any gem that I carry.

From the looks on the faces around the campfire Darnand speculated that he might have shared too much information.

He nodded at Aravi. It is good that you have an alternate means of setting the soul traps. On a dagger, for the love of Mara! he thought. Running up to an angry creature and poking it with a short blade might secure the attention of Sheogorath.

But Aravi was an experienced warrior despite her delicate appearance. Instead of expressing the concern he felt for her safety, he gave her a little smile. I recall your speed and great agility in battle, he said. Your two blades move faster than this Bretons eye can follow. It is good that our results will not be diluted if we should need to separate.

Darnand glanced at Vera. He agreed that she should remain apart to provide clear perspective and ranged support with her bow. The rest of them should be able to take down even the strongest animals with cooperation and planning. It was the more responsive threats such as bandits that posed the greatest danger to them. Having a professional killer watching their backs would allow them to focus on the conflict at hand without being caught by one they failed to see coming.

He finished stowing his gear and looked around. Folk were often tempted to stay awake sharing stories in the warm intimacy of a campfire. Darnand was admittedly not a gregarious person, and he felt that they had enjoyed enough of that already. Shall I take the first watch? he said.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 21 2013, 04:05 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

I also ask you dont bring out your atronach either Darnand. Aravi remembered that particular daedra with dislike. They shouldnt have to worry about Darnands fire either, as long as they stick together. If we are forced to split up, then I will be concerned. Despite their friendship and some successful adventures since, their first meeting was very rough. When he talked about the soul trap spell, she was inwardly relieved but tried to not show it. Based on things Darnand had said, she wouldnt be surprised if he did have a black soul gem. Capturing the soul of one of their party was something she didnt want to risk.

Shall I take the first watch?

Aravi nodded. You can wake me for the second watch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 21 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

"I'll take third." Kayla offered. She was already cleaning up her food and unrolling her sleeping bag.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Sep 22 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

"I'll have the fourth, then," Salyan added. She began to clean her plate, using a chunk of snow as both a brush and water at the same time. As she finished that, tucking it away in her pack and unrolling her own bedroll, she nodded over to Vera. "My thanks for the food, Vera. It was delicious."
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Sep 22 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

Little happened through the night. Darnand took first watch and reported a clear night, as did the rest. The lights of dawn soon peeked over the horizon, and Vera, ever watchful, began packing up, rousing the rest of the group. they cleaned up camp, scattering the ashes of their fire and giving little sign they were there. They all slid into their armors and trudged forward with Darnand pointing the way, his nose in his map. Kayla occasionally had to pick him up by the shoulders to keep him from stumbling over a fallen log or errant rock, and Aravi nudged him towards the cleared pathways instead of the brush that lined the dirt paths.

The sound of roaring water filled their ears, and the scent of cold, clean water wafted to their nostrils. The mouth of a cave, small and unassuming, peeked into their sight. Darnand folded his map. Kayla opened her bag of potions and let everyone look inside.

"I've got invisibility potions,, healing potions, poisons, and," she looked at Darnand, "Dispel. Aravi told me you can get a little trigger happy. happens to the best of us." she said reassuringly.

"There's a few magicka boosting potions, too. Don't be alarmed by the small sizes of the bottles. I've concentrated them into a potent, but small vial. The weaker potions are for surface wounds, the stronger ones for internal damage. take what you think you'll need. Aravi, I made a special potion for you.' She handed Aravi a bottle with yellow liquid in it.

"Rally potion," she whispered with a smile. "In case there are spiders." She made her fingers crawl up Aravi's arms and laughed a little. "Drink it if there are."

"Alright, anyone else have anything to add?" She left the bag open for them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Sep 23 2013, 12:33 AM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Morning had come and Vera spent most of the night awake. She'd had a good rest before coming and even if she didn't, she doubt she would sleep. She's had a lifetime of insomnia.

The trip to the cavern was quiet and uneventful. It wouldn't remain like that for long, though. Things always go bad. But she was prepared, just as the others were.

She was fully armored. Her gauntlets encasing her hands, her black boots covering her feet and strong legs and her belt safely secure around her waist. Sported on her back was a bow and a quiver full of arrows, deep in her boot was a vicious knife, easy to reach and to pull out. She placed her helmet over her head. It would serve to preserve her identity amongst thieves and bandits, and though she was aware the group had seen her face, she still wouldn't flaunt her looks to her enemies in Skyrim who knew her under a different alias.

As far as she's concerned she was still a wanted woman in the Reach and in Riften. But in the end, she planned on leaving no survivors or taking any prisoners. She couldn't say the same for the others, though.

Kayla had her potions and poisons; healing, invinsibility, and a special potion for Aravi.

She didn't need any. There were few abilities in her disposal that included blending in with her surroundings and become invisible to the naked eye. But she learned to not be too dependant on that power alone. She'd stick to the high grounds and the shadows. Besides, they need the potions more than she does.

More for them.

She checked and rechecked her arrows once more, seperating the different pointed ones. Some would work better against steel plate, others wouldn't. Some were made just for piercing soft flesh and to penetrate armor.

"The cavern inside might have multiple levels. If we're splitting up I want to know who is going with who."

She put an arrow in her quiver in the back before adding. "Who's going to need me to watch over their backs?"

She doubted some of them would even need her assistance, but she didn't come this way for nothing. She expected to be vigilant over someone or two people in the caverns. If the group split up, then she'd have to focus on one.

Some of them were capable. Aravi and the high elf. She didn't know much about Darnand other that he was a mage and the other Imperial girl could inspire the others to fight while she remained away from the heat of battle. If anything, she can whack a troll alongside the head with her lute if things went bad . . .

Vera almost nearly smiled at that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 23 2013, 01:01 AM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

They woke early, before Magnus appeared over the horizon. Aravi dressed for battle rather than comfort today. Frost covered the ground and it was especially cold changing into her Elven armor behind a thicket, rather than changing near the fire. She took the chill over appearing almost naked in front of her friends. When the camp was packed and everyone was ready to travel, the first rays of light were just filtering into their den.

When they arrived at the cavern, Kayla presented a bag of potions for everyone to take from. She approach Aravi with a special potion. Whats this?

Kayla told her what it was, and playfully made her hands crawl up Aravis arms. She smiled nervously and put the potion where she could easily get to it. I hope I dont need this With a sinking feeling, she knew she probably would. Thanks, was all she could say. Anything but spiders

Aravi took a couple of healing potions and a few stamina potions. She has restoration magic for wounds, but stamina was something she didnt know how to replenish yet without potions.

Vera wanted to know who she was going with if they had to split up.
You would go with me. Darnand and Kayla can go together. Salyan, its up to her who she goes with. If its just the two of us, then well use stealth as much as we can.

Aravi wasnt about to let Kayla to go with Vera. The two of them might come to blows

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:58 PM