Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drugs. Legal Or Illegal?, what do you think?
Dantrag
post Jul 26 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

What do you guys think about drugs? Do you think they should remain illegal or become legalized? I agree that drugs can ruin your life, but so can alcohol, and that's legal. And honsetly, I think that alcohol is more harmful than marijuana. Alcohol makes a lot of people angry and violent when they are drunk, but people on marijuana are just relaxed and happy. I just want to know where the government draws the line for this stuff.

I think marijuana shoul;d be legalized, for the reason above, and for the fact that it would give the government a lot more money, and open up new jobs at the 'marijuana farm'. I think the other drugs should stay illegal though - they mess you up pretty bad, from what I hear.

(This is based on USA laws...don't know too much about other countries' policies on narcotics.)

PS - I do not smoke weed, I am speaking from seeing other people high and drunk.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jul 26 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Well, growing up in a family that has no smokers or drinkers I don't suffer from the effects of alcohol on anyone I know.

I am fully for marijuana being illegal, as long as alcohol is made illegal as well.

Which will never happen, so I guess my opinion here doesn't matter.
+Quote Post
Kell-Reevor
post Jul 26 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Finder
Group Icon

The only reason I can think of that would (somewhat) explain why marijuana is still illegal would be public opinion.

Addicitive? I doubt it, or at least I doubt its as addictive as cigs, so no way that could be it.

Mind altering? And alcohol isn't?

Public opinion? MAYBE. Though I'm sure the public's view of a "useless pot smoking piece of [censored], you dreg on society!" can be no worse than the tanked up old guy stumbling down the street with a bottle of Jack.

So, while all three are terrible points, I think if I could pick a reason it would be the third one.

Personally, I have nothing against the legalization of marijuana, even though I never touch the stuff. I believe if people have a choice of drinking themselves to death or smoking until they cough up their lungs, then they should have a choice to smoke marijuana as well.
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jul 26 2005, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Senor Snore
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kell-Reevor @ Jul 26 2005, 04:21 PM)
The only reason I can think of that would (somewhat) explain why marijuana is still illegal would be public opinion.

Actually, there's a pretty strong lobby out there that will prevent it from ever becoming legal. The same kind of lobby that got Absyinthe outlawed. Guess what lobby I'm talking about.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jul 26 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Here in Norway... Marijuana is even illegal, even for hospital use and I think that sucks...

About making it legal to just take to get high and happy.. No, I've met and know people who does this, and the one I know. His whole life got ruined because of drugs, he even came by the school to talk about drugs including marijuana. The effects by taking marijuana and other drugs is horrifing..

Alcoho, well as u say it can also ruin your life. Make you violent and such, but I really dont know. If people can leave without alcohol then... wacko.gif
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jul 26 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

I cant really justify why I think marijuana should be illeagal, though I think it should.

Oh, and its really hard to walk down the street with a bottle of jack drunk as a skunk because of this little law that makes it illeagal to be drunk in public

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Kell-Reevor
post Jul 26 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #7

Finder
Group Icon

Oh, and its really hard to walk down the street with a bottle of jack drunk as a skunk because of this little law that makes it illeagal to be drunk in public

You shot me down. That sucks sad.gif
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jul 26 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Channler @ Jul 26 2005, 02:11 PM)

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And nothing will happen to the offender if a cop doesn't happen by.

I see drunk people walking downtown a lot.

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jul 26 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Tis true dantrag, but here in good ol' Nashville we don't have hardly any public drunks ( no bars ) but the crack trade between the 5 ghettos in the town are at a all time high =)

Hell i even came across the stuff, laying in a flower pot! lol I picked it up and then when I realized what it was dropped in back in there and called the cops

--------------------
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
vaanic~one
post Jul 26 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #10

Finder
Group Icon

Marijjuana, or weed, or whatever, can still be pretty harmfull to you, it does some bad stuff to your brain and lungs all. The again, smoking anything is pretty bad for you.

--------------------
IPB Image

Oliver_lowe@hotmail.com
TESSource Staff
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jul 26 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(vaanic~one @ Jul 26 2005, 04:27 PM)
Marijjuana, or weed, or whatever, can still be pretty harmfull to you, it does some bad stuff to your brain and lungs all.  The again, smoking anything is pretty bad for you.

Anything in excess can kill you too kvleft.gif

Like McDonalds food.. argh

--------------------
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Chumbaniya
post Jul 27 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #12

Finder
Group Icon

I'd much rather have cannibis legalised and have cigarettes be illegal (though I'd rather have neither in public places). There is obviously the point about long-term mental damage from cannibis, but I don't know much about that. As far as I know, cannibis is much less physically damaging than cigarretes.

Aside from the legality argument, one reason I see more point in cannibis (though I do not smoke either cannibis or cigarretes) is that it actually gets you high. Ever seen anyone get high of a cigarette? I don't see why anyone would want to even try out cigarretes, as there's no incentive there except peer pressure.

Oh, and here's an interesting little fact - while it is possible to have a lethal dose of tobacco, no lethal dose of cannabis has ever been found. (Not counting simply eating cannabis till you explode, of course blink.gif )

--------------------
Chumbaniya Has Spoken!

"It's a party. It doesn't have to make sense" - Homer
"To alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post Jul 27 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

Marijuana should be legalized.

You guys realize the only reason it was illegalized in the first place was to give the FBI something to do after alcohol was legalized again.

Not only that, but Hemp, the male cannabis plant, makes really great natural rope, paper, etcetera. This guy who developed a synthetic rope that was about as good as hemp rope bribed governmnet officials to make Cannabis illegal to take this competing form of rope off the market.

I don't like marijuana, I could only see myself using it for medical purposes. It makes kids around here into losers that don't care about school or anything.

As far as Cocaine, Heroine, Hallucinogens, Methamphetamines and other drugs like that go, yeah they need to be illegal.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jul 27 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #14

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(Chumbaniya @ Jul 27 2005, 12:20 AM)
As far as I know, cannibis is much less physically damaging than cigarretes.

Actually one jpint contains ten times as much tar as a single cigarette, so they are more physically damaging than cigarettes

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Aki
post Jul 27 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Alcohol makes a lot of people angry and violent when they are drunk, but people on marijuana are just relaxed and happy.

oh yes, thoswe stoners seem nice and relaxed while stoned, but when they can't get their fix, ohohohohoho. You'll see the violence.

Addicts will do anything to get their fix.

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
stargelman
post Jul 27 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #16

Senor Snore
Group Icon

QUOTE(Aki @ Jul 27 2005, 08:15 PM)
oh yes, thoswe stoners seem nice and relaxed while stoned, but when they can't get their fix, ohohohohoho. You'll see the violence.

Addicts will do anything to get their fix.

I think we're a little confused here. You must be thinking of herroin junkies.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jul 27 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Nope, I've seen people that do crack go flippin mad when they don't got their stuff... Its really scary.

Odd though I've never seen a angry drunk man.. now I've seen a Drunk angry man but usualy that makes them happy wacko.gif

--------------------
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ShogunSniper
post Jul 27 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

never got high so i couldn't say... but you have a point dantrag.
and you hear of drunk drivers killing people more than high people....
i think they should all be outlawed. but if all marijuana does is make you happy, then why is it illegal.

--------------------
War is over if you want it.
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jul 27 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #19

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(ShogunSniper @ Jul 27 2005, 09:32 PM)
never got high so i couldn't say... but you have a point dantrag.
and you hear of drunk drivers killing people more than high people....
i think they should all be outlawed. but if all marijuana does is make you happy, then why is it illegal.

The argument has always been that

1) It leads to harder drugs.
2) Anything that makes you not 100% in charge of your senses is a bad thing.

The first one is impossible to say, with any degree of conviction, either way. There have been studies proving it, and studies disproving it. I know which I believe, but again, I can't prove it.

Second one is utter tosh, when you consider alcohol is legal. So it becomes do you ban alcohol and dope, or make both of them legal. The UK seems to be leaning towards legalising it, though of course, there are loud complaints about it. I think it will happen though. Eventually.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jul 27 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #20

Wizard
Group Icon

I'm from the netherlands myself, and here of course soft drugs are legal to be used.

I think that's a good thing, it's far less of a problem then in countries where it's illegal, I've friends that use soft drugs, nothing but smoking weed that is, and have no problem with that.

I don't do so myself just to be clear on that wink.gif

so should it be made legal in more countries, I think yes it should.

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:54 PM